Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Mud Flaps have never been available for the Protege5 for the reasons listed above.. The Roof Rack used to be an available option, but it seems to have been dropped. Interestingly, considering the Protege5 is no longer produced, Mazda has added some new accessories for it:

Rear Speaker Upgrade
    Roof Cargo Box (requires Roof Rack)
    Wind Split (Improves Under-chassis aerodynamics)
    Windshield Sunscreen
  • Options
    protojasonprotojason Member Posts: 13
    Was browsing around, casting pipe dreams, and believe I found another possible turbo kit for the Protege5, basically an alternative to the one at flyin miata?

I not an expert at all...just was looking about, see for yourself and perhaps post some thought?

http://hiboost.com/index.htm

Also, I've heard about a Supercharged Protege5 existing, but havent found any kits mentioned...is it all rumors?

Afterall, rumors are mere words, and words just wind...

Jason.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    And how is it mounted? Does it impede access to maintenance items under the P5? And does it decrease road clearance (we have one of those nasty combination curb/gutter driveways...got to be careful in how you approach it or you scrape the underbody of your car).
  • Options
    tintin_snowytintin_snowy Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have the one offered by Mazda? It's the Thule 667 that is 13 cu. ft. If so what are your impressions? Easy to get on and off? How much stuff can you fit in there? I need to pick up a box for more room for the holiday travels, so I'm wondering if this is the one to get.

TIA tintin
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... but I had to say this ... "Awast ye landlubbers. Ten Thousand Thundering Typhoons on a Blistering Barnacle"

Great to see that at least SOMEONE has read those magnificent comics :) (and/or watched the movies?)
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    u too?
  • Options
    I don't know, but I plan to get one for this Holiday Season. My goal is to keep the back seat clear for my wife to sleep on as we travel around.

I think the wind split is an aero-package deal. I doubt it is worth getting, and I would probably find it ugly.
  • Options
    I ordered one, so we'll see how it works. There is good review of the Thule 667 on epinions from a Pr5 owner
  • Options
    I uploaded a picture of the wind split to the Yahoo! site if anyone is interested.

Ted
  • Options
    I just reserved one from http://www.finishlineperformance.com/

I am going to pick it up when I go to DC in a couple of weeks. They are only charging $209.95 +VA sales tax (4.5%), and I do not have to pay until I pick it up. :) If all goes well, I am going to get my Miata hard top from these folks as well.

I'll let everyone know how I like it after that trip.

Ted
  • Options
    I got mine this past week. I'm happy with it - you can fit a lot of stuff in there. It looks cool, and took only about 10 min to figure out how to put it on. I had to move my rails a little closer together. Now taking it on and off is a snap.
  • Options
    Did it take 10 mins. to put on, or just 10 mins. to figure out? I will be installing mine in the dealer parking lot since I will be about 4 hours away from home. I was just wondering how long it would take me after I figured it out.

Thanks,
    Ted
  • Options
    I'd say about 20-30 minutes altogether. The instructions I had talked about these U-bolts, that were not included - instead there are these two plates and you affix a pad to the rail side of each and the bolt goes all the way through. Really it is pretty simple. Make sure you have your tool box, as you'll need a metric wrench (I forget the size) to loosen your roof rails to make the box fit OK. Good luck.
  • Options
    Got this link from a computer site.

They sell adapters that plug into the rear CD changer jack of factory (and aftermarket) head units that allow any RCA input from any audio source:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/logjam/auxmaz.html

The above is specific to Mazda OEM units. Good luck.
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I don't think they work with out Protege 5 headunits.

I've checked on the Pie and is it Blitzsafe?, adapters before, but all they seem to cover is Mazda Trucks. They have a bunch for Ford so my guess is the Mazda Trucks have the Ford Radio.
  • Options
    Looks like they are mainly for "fordish" Mazdas like the Tribute and Pickup. Still, I may get a pinout from them as there is an extra plug on the back of the Mazda Protege5 stereos that is "unused" in current applications but is known to work for aux-in on the Miata.
  • Options
    For less than $100 more than those adapters, you could replace your factory head unit with a lower-end Aiwa or JVC with a front AUX-in jack.

I think my head unit was an older model than that in your P5s, so I don't know what use my pin (I identified a number of them when I replaced it, so I'd know how to wire the harness for my JVC) would be to you, but I'd be glad to draw a diagram and mail it to you. I don't know if they're the same, or if they differ.

If you could identify the input pins, you could probably get a wire harness from a junkyard (does Mazda sell separate harnesses for the tape player and CD changer?) and splice in a stereo mini-jack.

Looks like these kinds of aftermarket mods will be appreciably more difficult in the Mazda3. No more easy DIN-type replacement. I opted for an aftermarket unit mostly because I was having difficulties with "refurbished" units and a factory-fresh unit was going to cost me $250. I had to give up my tape player, but I didn't really use it except to plug in my iPod.

Who knows, maybe there'll be more demand for an easy AUX input with the proliferation of portable hard-disk-based music players (don't know what to call them anymore since they play formats other than MP3 too). Samsung, Dell, Napster and Microsoft are all getting into the market that Apple created (Rio's CD-player-sized units are just too bulky to be considered truly portable), and we may see more demand for the ability to get good-quality input to our car audio equipment (Smart is making this an option in their cars...direct input from and power supplied to a gen3 iPod).

Some car audio mfr (I forget which, I just saw it in a catalog) made a hard-drive based car audio system, but you can only play it in the car system (the HD cartridge lacked a portable power source and no on-board controls or feedback mechanism...pretty much a "lock and key" system), and you had to have a proprietary dock hooked up to your computer for it. It also cost more than an iPod for similar capacity (of course, the gen3 iPods use a proprietary port, supposedly to allow them to get even thinner than before). Talk about a bad business case.
  • Options
    The new 3, the 6, the RX-8, and now the Miata all offer MP3 playback as an option. If that had been the case for the P5 or the 2003 Miata, I wouldn't have replaced the head unit in my 2003 Miata. I felt like I had to give up a lot in terms of interior styling to get MP3 playback.
  • Options
    I did not get my roof cargo box for the Protege5 as planned on Friday. Rosenthal Mazda of Vienna, VA decided to screw me over. I called 2 weeks prior to order the item. They told me that they had one in stock. I provided my name and phone number to hold it, and I offered my credit card number to insure that I would get it. They told me it wasn't necessary and assured me it would be there when I showed up on Nov. 7. Then I called to confirm it was still there on Nov. 6. They told me, "Yes, sir! It will be here when you arrive tomorrow."

I arrived at around 2 PM on Nov. 7 at the dealer to pick up my cargo box. The person in the Parts Department informed me that they did not carry those since they were a special order item. I told him I had called 2 weeks prior to order one and was told they had one in stock. He looked on the computer and told me they had never even had any delivered. He said it must have been the other guy who works in the parts department who told me incorrectly. I asked if this was the same Rosenthal Mazda which was on the web at (URL not posted out of spite). He assured me it was. I told him I would be contacting Mazda and the Service Manager to complain. He just shrugged. I just thought I would share this story with everyone and warn them to avoid doing business with the Rosenthal Mazda parts department.

Ted
  • Options
    I found out today that they actually had my roof cargo box in stock. The doofus who was "assisting" me simply didn't look in the right place. Nevermind it was in the only place it could have been. Doh!
  • Options
    Oh jeez. That is really bad.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    As an aside, I live in the vicinity of this place. If you need further follow-up, let me know

If I had seen (the details within) this post earlier, I could've checked for you in advance.

Que Sera Sera.

They have the whole "right hand doesn't know what the left is doing" thing down pat. I've ordered a couple of things for myself and for friends on the 6 club, and EVERY SINGLE TIME, there has been a hitch, delay and more unnecessary angst than there should be with picking up or availability of parts. Quite a pity, really, because they're one of the only 3 dealerships that even sells parts online. Wish they could get their act together.
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    Which one for a "99 es?
  • Options
    The top of the 1.8 should clear the bar, more so than that of the 1.6.

It makes quite a difference in the '99-'00 models, before they thickened the sheetmetal around the strut towers.
  • Options
    gabrielmozagabrielmoza Member Posts: 4
    Anybody know of a good shifter know for the MP5. I like the factory one, but I want to cahnge it to match the clolour of the silver finish inside the car. I'm not looking for universal one, I want one that is made specifically for the MP5. Anybody have any ideas where I could go on the net or a store??

Thanks!!
  • Options
    iceman112k3iceman112k3 Member Posts: 4
    well i'm looking to start modding my protege. it's a '99 and an SE. Navy blue, i'll put pictures up later. I've taken care of a few minor details so far, but i want to get into the more fun stuff.
    any reccomendations on where to begin?
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    What are you looking for? Performace? Aesthetics?
  • Options
    a little of both actually
  • Options
    Okay the rundown.
    '99 protegé SE, navy blue
    automatic (unfortunatly) manual locks and windows.
    I bought it because 1) i love mazda's (stiff handeling, good control) 2) i got a really good deal on it.

Now as far as mods.
    1) performance: hp boost?, response?, speed?, shift kit? boosting control?
    2) interior: steering wheel interior kits? fun toys?
    3) under the hood: asthetics, bars, cleanliness? colored caps, engine cover?
    4) exterior asethetics: fog lights, ground effect kits, spoilers(nothing big and dumb) mud gaurds? rims?

I personally have just entered the wonderfull world of modding, and I have alot to learn.

I've already done some checking around and well i discovered that: the mazdaspeed protege though it performs well, can be equalled by taking teh mp3 and adding the turbo yourself, and you'll end up getting more hp out of it for the same price.

but I own an se, and need to know where to beign. I want to do things in steps, so nto to waste money but it will just keep getting better and better.

any thoughts?
  • Options
    simple, inexpensive aesthetic change: clear corner light covers. My red es looks much cleaner w/them.

if you have steel wheels, you can improve handling and looks w/alloys and performance tires. I'd suggest 16X6-7 wheels unless you want to go w/40 or 45 aspect tires.
  • Options
    Assuming you are speaking of the 5-speed shifter, you should take a look at the one Mazda is selling for the 2004 Miata:

http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=1505

It is silver and black to match the interior. Check with Mazdastuff or your dealer, but I am pretty sure the knobs are interchangable between the Miata and the Protege5.
  • Options
    when i said shift kit, I actaully ment "shift kit" its a full trany mod.

I wanna do sway bars , where shoudl I get them?

=====================

I was looking around ebay and saw some kilelr deals you guys should see.
    Dual exhaust muffler, 40$
    Camber Kit F & R 35 $
    K & N -s air filter, 4 $
    Cold Air INtake 110 $
    Strutbar (front) 10$

there is a bunch of other stuff there, just thought yall might be intrested.

I am going witha blue/black/greay type thing .

what info is there on fog lights, HID blues? aftermarket or factory dealer installed?
  • Options
    I was actually replying to post #999.

Ted
  • Options
    erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    New Protege5 owner. Have some questions about factory roof rack options.

I've already got Yakima rack attachments for my kayak and bicycle as well as a luggage box. They are all set up for the round bar, but I've used MightyMount attachments for another factory rack on a Subaru.

I'd like to use the factory rack and not buy Qtowers/clips and bars, since the factory rack is already in place and will work for my limited weight needs.

Problem is that Yakima does not make a MightyMount attachment to fit the Protege5 factory rack. :-(

So....my options appear to include:
    - Buying the Yakima Loadwarrior @$280, which does attach to the rack, and then attaching the kayak saddles and bike mount to the Loadwarrior using the existing round brackets I currently have.
    - Buying the Mazda OE bike attachment brackets. I'd have to buy three sets @ a total of $90-$100 for the kayak saddles, since I think you only get three brackets for the bike and the kayak saddles take 8 brackets. I'm not even sure the OE brakets would work for more than the bike attachment.

So....has anybody found an elegant solution to this problem? I'm thinking that one of the MightyMounts from another factory crossbar might be close enough to work. I really wonder if Yakima didn't make the bracket for Mazda since the OE Bike attachment appears to be a Yakima design.

Eric
  • Options
    Response from Yakima. Looks like P5 owners are out of luck using the factory rack. :-(

--------------------------------------------------
    Hi Eric. Thanks for your inquiry about Yakima Products!

We have not made a MightyMount for the Protégé 5 because we have not heard enough demand for the product. I have logged your request for the MightyMount for your car, but it may be a while before it does get made.

Mazda produces the brackets that hold our bike and ski mounts down on their factory roof rack.

If you have any other questions, please contact Customer Service at 888-925-0703 7am to 5pm Pacific Time, Monday through Friday. If you reply to this email, please include all previous correspondence.

Thank you,
    Yakima Support
    --------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    Hi erics6

Look at MazdaStuff.com for the 2002 P5 accessories. They sell both the Yakima Rack and Mounts for it.

The rack from Yakima is $91 and the mounts are $30.

HTH

Bruce
  • Options
    reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    Someone on another board has installed the MightyMounts that yakima sells, on their P5.
  • Options
    Yup. Mazdastuff.com has the brackets for $30. I thought I'd see what Trussville Mazda charges too. They're usually very competitive.

I've posted to a couple of other boards. I'll wait and see if anyone knows which MightyMount might fit. Seems like one of them would work. REI shows about 8 horizontal styles.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    My 17 year old son wants new tires and wheels for his 99 LX. It has 50k on it. He bought it used about 7 months ago, has unmatched tires on it in 185 65 14 size, plus a bent wheel. He would like to get aluminum wheels and larger tires. I suggested on his limited budget to stick with the original size to save money,just get 4 good tires. It seems that plus sizing gets expensive and then limits the type of tire available,then sacrifices tire treadlife for handling/speed and snow traction.Anyone had experience plus sizing their Protege, and if so what sizes did they use?
  • Options
    gimmedoggimmedog Member Posts: 2
    Living in San Francisco and just bought a Protege 5 with chrome wheels. Do I need wheel locks? How likely are they to be stolen, and how effective are the locks anyhow? I've never paid any attention to rims, but noticed that they were a $500 option. Thanks!
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I'd get them. They only cost about 20 bucks and they're enough of a deterrent to make a crook think twice because they're a bit more of a pain to remove.
  • Options
    Larger wheels, unless he gets the more-expensive forged racing-type wheels (which are more easily damaged also), will weigh more than the stock size. They also push more mass away from the center. All this will actually slow-down the car's acceleration. It'll look cooler, as the wheels appear to fill more of the wheel wells, but it slows down the car, the wheels are more likely to suffer damage from potholes, curbs and such and more road imperfections will be transmitted to the cabin. And, as you've already found out, the tires get more costly too.

He should save the money to splurge on his next vehicle.

Good tires in this size (in my experience and of others here): Avid Touring, Avid T4, Dunlop SP Sport A2 (I have a set of these on my '99LX...I expect to get 30k miles out of them when I retire them next year), Bridgestone RE910, BF Goodrich Control T/A VR4 (did I get that right, Meade?), Michelin X-One (costly, but good touring-type tire), Falken Ziex ZE-512 (my next set of tires...I'll report on how they stack up against the SP Sport A2 and the X-Ones).
  • Options
    zac76zac76 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a Mazdaspeed and It's great but I wanted to know if there are any after market fog lap kits specifically for the Mazdaspeed.

Anyone know?
  • Options
    but after reading all 5 pages, I still don't know if it will work in Protege's. The 8,6,3 radio is different then ours and right now they have tested it in a 6 and the 8 was the real target.

Does the new radio use the same type of modular plug in for the cassette? Is it just really cosmetic differences. Just from the looks the new radios appear completely different.

But I'd be all over this if it works out. I've pretty much given up swapping out my headunit. I had planned on doing it after Christmas, but I can't find one I like enough to pull the trigger. I just don't want to give up stock appearance without getting something I really like. So I'm living with my tunecast which gets audio to my radio best quality or not.
  • Options
    I think the plug is the same, but the signaling may be different.
  • Options
    Too bad many new cars seem to make it hard to put in aftermarket head units.

I really like the front AUX-in jack (1/8in stereo jack) on my JVC. It was a feature I specifically shopped for. My iPod comes with me on long trips (>1hr) in my Pro.
  • Options
    I have finally had the opportunity to install my cable chains [oh boy, lucky me] on my 205/55-15 bridgestone s-o3's. It doesn't work. The added tire width causes the inside cable to contact the strut tower, leading to a repeating click. i might use them to travel under a mile of particularly treacherous road, but extended use whould either break the chains, damage the strut support, or both.
  • Options
    Just saw it at CES (model T1560). Don't know for sure if they'll offer it up in NA. I think they're testing the waters.

I also have zippo experience with Sanyo audio, but I'd been unimpressed in the past with their home-stereo offerings (though the goods they were exhibiting seemed to be of good quality, like their phones and portable NAV system). Maybe others might offer similar units if they make any inroads into the market.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Have a 99 LX, need to replace tires. Also have 2 damaged wheels therefore will be getting new alum wheels. Anyone had experience with Tirerack on line? Not sure if I want to get tires and wheels from them or just get alloys,then get tires locally. Will probably stick to stock 185/65 14's, although could go to a 195/60-14. I believe the 14x6 wheels will fit the Protege. Any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.