Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Me as well as others have had great success with tire rack. It's really a matter of selection and price. If you can't get what you want locally, then Tire Rack is great.

If, when you add in shipping, Tire Rack gets much more expensive, then stick to a local place.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Order the wheels and tires together. They will arrive ready to bolt on to the car. I've dealt with tire rack and had good experience. Never have heard a complaint about them.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I got a wheel & tire package from them.
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    ...is great.
  • Options
    Latest news was they are still on schedule for March with 2 sets of RCA inputs. No official word it will work on our Pro's, but:

"It is still possible that this module will not work with some vehicles, particularly older model years that used a different style head unit, instead of the newer fully integrated FMS audio unit (That we RX-8 owners have too). I am told that some of them may have a physically compatable connector and module, but may have used a different Tape module part number. Anyone who has an 'Unverified vehicle' and wants to get this module, and finds out that it doesn't work in their vehicle, will be more than welcome to return the unit for a refund."

So once it comes out, I'm going to buy it and try it out. If I can really get aux-in in my Pro I will be a happy camper.
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I forgot to post this, but over the holidays I got one of the roof top cargo boxes from Mazda for my P5. It worked great, but we had some issues with installation. The U bolts that were provided were too short, so we had to improvise. I plant to get some replacements when I get the chance. One thing that should be mentioned is to check the tightness of all of the bolts on the roof rack assembly before and after use. This includes the 8 bolts which cross bars to the crossbar mounts. All 8 of these were loose when I got home. Crossbar removal is required (or at least recommended) to properly tighten these bolts.

Ted
  • Options
    martskinmartskin Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where I can get a parcel tray for my 02 Protege 5? It's the trunk cover that attaches by string to the hatchback. I can get it from the Mazda dealer for $230 but I was hoping to find one for less.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    pappy55pappy55 Member Posts: 41
    try contacting Mazdastuff.com. Their prices (in general) are pretty good.

Any luck at a junkyard?
  • Options
    Someone might be willing to sell theirs if they don't use it.
  • Options
    martskinmartskin Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys. I checekd masdastuff.com and they don't have the parcel tray. All they offer is the cargo mat, cargo net and cargo tray.

I checked eBay too with no luck. I'll try contacting salvage yards next. I would image a 2003 tray would fit a 2002 don't you think?
  • Options
    I've been searching for anohter place to get parts. Mazdastuff has some stuff, but not nearly every part.

I found a Honda parts site that has every clip, bold, panel, etc., that makes the car a whole piece. It was great when I was hooking up the XM radio, being able to order a clip I broke and an extra aux input connector. I even went ahead and drilled a whole in the subwoofer cover since I can easily buy one online if I ever decided to take the XM out.

Other cool thing about the Honda Site is everything is in an exploded diagram, making it easy to find the part you need.
  • Options
    send them an email. if it's a Mazda part, they can get it for you.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Will changing from 14 to 15" on my 99 LX have any negative effect? Any experience with edgeracing.com for tires/wheels?
  • Options
    toneetouchtoneetouch Member Posts: 60
    Almost purchased a Saris Bones rear (trunk) mounted bike rack, but had a Saris Customer Service person recommnd against it. It seems that the rear spoiler would probably get damaged if I tried. Unfortunately, I can not shell out the $$$ for the roof rack bike attachments. Has anyone had any experience with a strap on rear bike rack on the P5?

Thanks.
  • Options
    cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    I would personally not recommend strap on bike racks. I've always found that they will leave scratches on your car eventually. I did a trip with a buddy in his car (not a P5) where he had a trunk mount strap on and it came loose on the journey and bounced its way between the trunk and bumper causing major damage. If the rack did come loose on a P5, I'm sure the same type of damage could happen. Was it user error, maybe partly but I find unless you can tie super knots, use duct tape and some secret powers the straps always come loose (or you can't get them untied after). Plus some bikes will hit the back of your car with their pedal leaving scratch marks on the hatch.
    If you live close to Canada you can go to Canadian Tire and get a Thule roof mounted bike rack. They cost $190 (Cdn of course) and it comes with two bike holders. I have one of these and have had no problems with it. I know that our roof bars are different (ours come with Thule compatible bars) but this will connect with most roof bars with its adapters.

Here is the link...
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%- 3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302195023&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=140847- 4395348027&bmUID=1075296483771&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524- 442687311&assortment=primary
  • Options
    I'm sure they could, just like any other Mazda dealer, but that's not the point.

The Honda site is so easy to use. I'm sure it would be fun trying to email my explanation of what part I want to Mazdastuff, whereas the online diagrams with descritions on the Honda site make it so easy.

Check out the website to see what I mean.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
  • Options
    Even has the break-out diagrams showing where the part is supposed to go.
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    it depends on the tire size u choose. different sizes have different effects, some positive and some negative, and some depending on your outlook.

The 15's should look better. If they are not too wide or too low in profile, hydroplaning should be reduced. Dry handling should be better unless the tires are too wide for the wheels. if the rolling diameter is very different, it will change your effective gearing.

don't know the vendor.
  • Options
    protojasonprotojason Member Posts: 13
    Well, I finally bought a roof rack for my Pro5.

I work in a bike shop, checked our thule book, (we switched from yakima to thule a while back for some reason)....says thule 889 will fit the factory rack.

So, I finally put the factory rack on, and lo and behold, the 889 rack fits! The instructions provided leave much to be desired, but their website has a good slideshow/tutorial which helps.

The hardest part was flexing the brackets/clamps to tighten them on the factory crossbars.

I did this at around a quarter to midnight, so havent actually drove around with my bike up top yet...cant post about the commuting wind noise, etc. I think a fairing would help alot with that.

Finally, it should be noted that this isnt a quick release type job....it's not a matter of just throwing that hardware up top when you want it....sufficient a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to make it a semi-permanent fixture on the car.

On the plus side, loading your bike on and off of it is a snap, and it has an extra piece that converts it from carrying mtnbikes vs roadbikes.

Will keep update after I actually USE the product!

Jason
  • Options
    gcboyd1gcboyd1 Member Posts: 11
    Anyone know where to get a cheap wheel cover for the 1998 LX? Searched on e-bay, but didn't find anything. Anyone have any good leads on cheap replacement parts on the web? If not, I guess I'll just head to my local used hubcap dealer/junkyard.

BTW - I'm in Pittsburgh, PA.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Try hubcaps.com. I got one for my camry recently and it looked new and cost less than the dealer. Also, try a search under Google for hubcaps.
  • Options
    I recently purchased the same one used off of eBay. I agree it was hard to put on, but once attached it seems to be pretty sturdy and well made. There's one caveat: the bike tray is so long that it doesn't allow the hatch to open more than half way... the spoiler get's in the way. I am not sure what to do now, but am considering just sawing off the last seven inches of the tray.

Protojason, can you let me know if you run into the same problem (mine is an older model), and if you do, how you solve it? Thanks.
  • Options
    protojasonprotojason Member Posts: 13
    As soon as I read your reply, I ran out to my car to test if i could open the hatch. Funny that it never occured to me before then....

As it happens, my hatch very nearly opens completly, but yes, the spoiler does sit against the tray endcap at the extreme up position. When open, it is more than sufficient to load items into the back of the car.

I'll have to find a way to post pics, and i'll measure the overall length of my rack for you to use as a guideline for your 'cutting'.

cheers

Jason

ps that was supposed to be a 'greater than' sign in the title. hehe
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania
    Stop by, chat live with your fellow Mazda enthusiasts from Town Hall...
    Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

This coming week's chat on Feb 10 is also going to include a set of trivia questions about the 2004 Mazda models, gleaned from the pages of Edmunds.com! So study up and join us on Tuesday evening!!

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • Options
    cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    I didn't realize that there were so many different lengths for Thule bike racks. I have no problems opening my hatch all the way with my Thule rack. I will have to check which model I have. I would take pictures but since its still winter up here I have my rack in the closet waiting for spring to return. Now with my roof box on the car, I can't open the hatch all the way.
  • Options
    I'm guessing it's cuz I purchased older, used trays. Perhaps Thule's started manufacturing them shorter with the newer versions?
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    My 03 Pro is starting to bore me. Any good warrantied turbos on the market for it?
  • Options
    batonrouge7batonrouge7 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know if there are after market products for the mazda 3, such as brush aluminum plates for the stereo council?
  • Options
    sunrupsunrup Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I am looking to upsize from the OE 195/50/R16 to a bigger 205/50/R16 on my 2002 ES. The OE Dunlop tires are too noisy, I think I need to buy something else to get a smoother quieter ride.
    I wanted to check if anyone here has tried that, if so which brand did you opt for and how did the bigger tire perform.

Thanks

Sunil
  • Options
    civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    My bridgestone s-03's are great performance tires, but quiet, they are not. I'm thinking of the falken ziex ze-512 next. They will not perform like the s-03's, but supposedly, they are fairly quiet.
  • Options
    reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    I have a set of these on my wife's car and they were a great value for the money. COnsumers rated them a top buy.
  • Options
    jimmcknightjimmcknight Member Posts: 28
    - I know others who have put 205-50R/16 tires on the P5, and that's what I did for the winter. They are the Pirelli Snowsport 210s, and they are noticably wider than the stock tires. I like the look, and they performed just as well as the Dunlops, with the extra snow and ice traction I wanted. I might opt for the wider 205s when I have to replace the Dunlops as summer tires someday. Not sure what brand, though.
  • Options
    Some you might want to consider are

Kumhos Ecsta Supreme 712's
    Sumitomo HTRZ II
    Yokohama ES 100

I have the Kumhos and they were great for wet and dry handling but they are getting noisey and I find the ride a little harsh. Looking to get the Sumitomo's, ride is supposed to be a little softer according to TireRack.

The pricing for the Kumho's and Sumitomo's are very close, with the Yokohama's being more expensive.

HTH

Bruce
  • Options
    My bridgestone s-03's are great performance tires, but quiet, they are not. I'm thinking of the falken ziex ze-512 next. They will not perform like the s-03's, but supposedly, they are fairly quiet.

I've got S-03s on my BMW, biggest mistake I've ever made with tire purchasing. Loud, no grip and pretty much just as pricey as the RE40s I passed on buying a second time. Live and learn.

I'm considering getting rid of my ES's floppy 16s and cheese alloy rims. Any good suggestions for light 17 inch rims?
  • Options
    jimmcknightjimmcknight Member Posts: 28
    - I looked at tirerack.com and tires.com and found good pictures and info on dozens of wheels. I decided to stay with 16" because a 17" would require a 40 or 45 series tire that would ride too harsh for me. I wouldn't be too concerned about weight so much as getting something that looks nice and is easy to clean, while being affordable. Both of those websites allow you to view prospective wheels on your vehicle. I've bought from tirerack 5 times now, and I've always been happy. Delivery has never taken more than 3 days.
  • Options
    kubu4kubu4 Member Posts: 3
    I was considering buying the rear bumper guard for my P5, but I don't want to buy it if I have to take it to the dealer to have it put on. Does anyone know if this is something that I can do (easily/cheaply) on my own? Does it just snap in place or does it have to be fixed to the bumper with adhesive? Thanks in advance for any info.

Sam
  • Options
    This is very easy to install. The kit comes with the alignment clips and instructions.
  • Options
    wouldn't be too concerned about weight so much as getting something that looks nice and is easy to clean, while being affordable.

Looks aren't important to me. I have 18s on my BMW and I'm used to having to clean them every weekend - I only drive the car on the weekend.

I care about the size of the tires as the 16s are too prone to flex and bend during cornering. 17s will mitigate that some 45 series would be fine with me as my BMW has 35 and 40 (read and front).

So with that in mind, I'm looking for light 17 inch rims. The style's not important. Only that I'm not adding weight to my wheels.
  • Options
    It uses adhesive tape. It's a snap to install. Just take your time, follow the directions exactly and you'll have it on in 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Weight is a huge issue, in some ways more important than looks (ok kidding a little). It adds unsprung weight which slows acceleration, speeds wear on bearings, transaxles, struts/shocks, and brakes.

The tough part is to find less expensive lightweight rims. Lightweight for 17's is considered to be 17 lbs or less per rim.

Rota, Team Dynamics make some rims that fall in that category. The hard part is trying to find info on what the rims weigh.

Some sites are:
    http://www.wheelspecs.com/main/index.php
    http://www.wheelweights.net/
    http://www.1010tires.com/

HTH
    Bruce
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    OK, so coming home from work today I blew out one of the 195/55/15 Potenzas on my 03 Protege DX, and decided that it was the perfect excuse to buy some better tires for the car.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nitto NT450? How does it compare with the Kumho Ecsta and the various flavors of Pirellis?
  • Options
    Ended up buying a commonly recommended Protege tire, the Falken Ziex 512, though I still did a plus-one to 205-50-15. They are quieter than the stock Bridgestones, and so far, seem to handle a bit better as well. Can't comment yet on wet-traction, but ANYTHING would be an improvement.
  • Options
    should be outstanding. We've had more rain around here since I got my 512's and they have stuck like glue.
  • Options
    At first I actually thought the rolling diameter was smaller compared to the stock 195/55/15 Bridgestones (either difference in manufacturer or the move to 205/50/15) on account of the quieter ride, but I really think the difference is just in the tire design and construction.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Paint protection film was installed on my Protege hood, mirrors, and top portion of bumper/grill this weekend. Hopefully it will prevent having to have the hood repainted a second time.
  • Options
    waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Just got it last week... I LOVE it. It fits the hood perfectly & looks "cool" :)
    Prevents rock chips, and I remove it every week when I wash my car. Looks great on white w/ tinted windows.
    W
  • Options
    Wayde,

Do you have any pics? Which one did you get? They list a carbon fiber and 1 or 2 piece bra.

Also which make of car do you have? I am assuming a P5.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...a company rep for Tirerack is now participating in Tires, Tires, Tires. His username is "tirerack", of course. :-)
  • Options
    We can talk about tires until our wheels fall off. :)

Speaking of tires, I ordered a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512 tires for my Protege. Their DC for the midwest must be really close to my home as they're supposed to arrive today (I ordered them yesterday, figuring they'd arrive in about a week). I'll report on my opinion on them sometime this summer. I've still got a couple thousand left on my Dunlops.
This discussion has been closed.