Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    still coming full force..

Lower michigan 3-6 by tomorrow....mid east...6-8...mid east/north...8-12 by morning...

I'm in the 8-12....work in 6-8......except that area is supposed to have ICE

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Yep Tim just snow blowed again and there is ice forming under the snow. SHould be a fun commute tomorrow i might just stay home from work and study all day.

I love watching all the people spinning their wheels non stop and not going anywhere.

Ryan
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    obyone,
    Thanks for the link.

11th digit of my VIN is "Z". Looks like it was made in Ft. Wayne IN.

Ryan, is that good?

-David
    ...that was the question...

In 4-HI....axles are locked in....1 front tire and 1 rear tire (2 with locking rear) will spin ...regardless if slipping or not..

Autotrac....is kinda like being engaged....and wherever the sliiping is...it sends power to the other axle....(as I understand it)...or if the rear slips the fronts kick in?

so it's kinda like not giving full power?

IN 4-HI....even though a tire is spinning...it is still contributing...and for me....this combo works better in deeper snow...as you need as much turning power you can get

Good Luck

- Tim
    Autotrac puts in in 4-Hi when it senses too much slip?

who knows....

I know too many people don't know that ....hey....it's bare concrete..and it's not slippery.....TURN IT OFF!

so autotrac works better for them

LOL

- Tim
    Where my truck was built and its my home state.

Dont worry itll be a great truck

Just sit back and wait itll be in soon

Ryan
    Just like you did!!!!

LOL

..RYan was the most anxious MoFo yet..

hehehehe

Hence the name Babs....aka Babbler

- Tim
  • whitevette01whitevette01 Member Posts: 79
    Has anyone had trouble with drivers seat
    belts on 2000 silverado. Mine keeps getting
    lodged the plastic guide. Its a real B to
    get straightened out. Was going to stop
    by dealer tomorrow but our mid 70's weather
    just took a turn for the worst. May not get
    out of the 30's or 40's so doubt will leave
    the house.
  • newbamanewbama Member Posts: 11
    Anybody seen the recreational type mirrors offered
    by GM for these trucks. Haven't seen a one and dealer said they were having troubles with them
    but he didn't know the details.

Was wondering if they were like the Ford mirrors.

Second question is after trading in my Dodge
    will I have to change the wiring in the trailer
    plug?

Thanks

Charles
  • 99crewcab199crewcab1 Member Posts: 79
    The wiring for your trailer should be fine. GM trucks come standard with a 7 pin harness (big and round) for trailering. I think I saw some towing mirrors at www.stylinconcepts.com

Nick
    30's damn your lucky. We have 16-20 inches (depends on the drifts) of snow. No roads are plowed. The exit for the expressway has about a dozen cars stuck on it. Wendys parking lot had 5 cars stuck. I left my gf's tonight and her sisters bf has a cavalier. He was parking in their driveway in front of me i left and there was a huge snow drift behind me. I made it though easily. He got stuck. Ill take some pics of all the snow and post some tomorrow.

Tim was i that anxious?

Ryan
  • sdpiersonsdpierson Member Posts: 69
    Dch0300---for the best floormats go to,

www.foxweatherboots.com/

Expensive, but the best.
    Us southerners are soft when it comes to
    winter weather. Visited relatives
    in Indiana once during Dec - never again.
    Another moved to Chicago bet thats even
    worst. I'll stay in touch with Family in
    Florida. Central Texas may make the news
    if Ice forms as predicted people just don't'
    know what to do. Last couple of years hasn't
    even produced a freeze but tonight will end
    that!!!!!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    yes....
    ...Yes you were Ryan....

- Tim
    ...well......it's a [non-permissible content removed]...

Got about 14 or 16 inches in drive....3 foot drifts...plow came by...cleared end of drive.....neiighbor sticks his head out and says.."what are you?..nuts?"

tells me all the local highways around our city are closed...ramps are closed....local roads outa here are closed........I guess we got the worst of it...

Stang and taking wife to work.....so I got no way to get either of us outa here!

GRRRRRR

I can get to the city edge....but then it's turn around and go home...

GRRRRRR

and I see on new that where I wanted to go is all closed as well..

....hmmmm

is it wrong to have a beer at 8:08 am?

- Tim
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    It's only wrong if you stop after one.
    I figured that...

I decided to 4HI it out of the driveway before snow blowing....worked fine..(no locker)....it did scrape about 6 inches off the drive for me though.....about the width of a Silverado!

Now to find some breakfast to wash the beer down with..

heehhehee

Enjoy folks

- Tim
    going through.....
    4:00 am
    temp: 72
    humidity: 88
    winds: 5-10 mph

Looks like another hot day today...LOL!!

Dean
    Dean please stop tormenting us with those weather facts. Some people are suffering.

I seen so many semis and cars stuck this morning while taking my mom to work it wasnt funny.

Tim drink up ill be joining ya in a few hrs. Gotta go shovel my driveway, and both of my grandmas

The fun begins again

Ryan
    Oh yea Tim whats the temp by you? It was 10 degrees plus a negative wind chill.

Truck started up great after sitting in a snow drift all night

Ryan
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    ryan...yes, you were.

tim...re: 8:08 - no, it's not wrong...in korea it's 7:08 Pm...which means it's ok to drink. just like the winter rules of golf (it's always winter somewhere), it's always after noon somewhere. drink up my friend.

david...my truck was made in fort wayne...no probs. i still have (some) respect for ryan and (lots) for his home state. ;)

all - 60 degrees and sunny on my way to work at 7:45 this morning. may even play golf later this week!

found a good pic of south carolina snow...here it is (LOL!):

love ya, mean it...
    bco
    At least I'm not playing golf today....maybe Sunday though...LOL!!

Dean
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    If you mean the factory Towing/Camper mirrors, I have them on two Silverados and like them. I like them enough to order the 2nd truck with them after I had the first for a year.

The extension works well to see around my camper. They have a large field of view, don't vibrate and hold a setting. I've only had to reset the mirrors about 1-2 times/year, and probably because someone hit them when walking by (they do stick out a little).

The only problem with them is the lack of a convex section on the passenger side. I solved that with a 5" round mirror mounted on that side.

One of the things I like best about these mirrors is that they are black! I don't like chrome on a truck - my 99 has a chrome front bumper, nothing else; my 00 has chrome bumpers and grille and side badges, nothing else. I don't like the big chrome reflectors that come on the LS standard.

Mike L
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Same comments as MikeL, have em on my '99, have em ordered on my 2001HD. Work great on travel trailers, also come in handy for hauling 21' pieces of emt....

Some of the boys on this website don't like the cosmetics though,...
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Passenger side seat belt beginning to squeak on '00 Silverado, LT. I will see if I can lube with WD40. Have to watch ruining the leather though.

Great truck with 7800 miles, absolutely no problems except for two bad spark plugs (tips came off)
    Dusty
    temps?....uhhh..not really cold....but up to 50 MPH gusts....

Truck temp said 14 when i went out this morning.....town looks like a war zone....with real big banks of white stuff!

back to ridding of snow....

- Tim
  • smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    blinked back and forth between 37 and ICE, last night. What's up with the word ICE for all you people really dealing with it?

-smikes
    BCO only some respect hehe

Dean you will be golfing and i will be shoveling snow

Tim what size snow blower you have? Mine sucks its a 1979 (older than me) toro. Still runs great but its to darn small.

Smikes when it flashes ICE that means that there is a chance the roads are icy. The conditions are in favor of ice.

Ryan

Temp in truck says 11 today
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Has anyone experienced their Silverado just quits running? My brother-in-law has a '00 with a 5.3, and has had it happen twice within a week. It has happened when he's stopped at an intersection and it just goes dead, starts right up, no engine light comes on or anything. Any ideas? I'm sure the dealership will just claim that they cannot duplicate the problem.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    sdpierson,
    Thanks for the link.
    Now those are some floor mats!!!
    I decided to order some out of Stylin Concepts.

smikes,
    When "ICE" was displayed on your rear view mirror did your Autotrac automatically turn itself ON too? Just curious.

9 more days.

-David
    Ice appears in mirror for a bit whenever the temp is lower than 38 or so....to warn of possible ice

I had my 6.0 die once....I started it up and it would not stay running without hitting the gas....went to a gas station...filled it up.....was fine..

perhaps the pressure loss or something?....I know they say to make sure cap is tight or you can have this problem..

snow blower....uhhh....I use neighbors mongo one...2 years old.....I pay for all the gas for him and me...and repairs....(none yet).....and he bought it.....most of the time his wife has my drive done before I get home....

cool eh?

I have done a bnch of shoveling as well today as it can't go up and down stairs

GRRRRR

- Tim
  • smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    I don't believe it switched to Autotrac. I don't remember looking though...

-smikes
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Just read the news and I thought it was funny.The temperature drops below freezing and the lower 48 comes to a screeching halt,I always find it entertaining in the winter watching the people struggle through the mild winters of the midwest, they would be in trouble if they ever came up here to Alaska,right now it is 5F and it is an above average temperature for the day.
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Started snowing heavily in Oklahoma City about 2:30 local time. The drive home should be an experience (one I'd like to forget).

Everyone take care.

John
    When it flashes ice the autotrac DOESNT automatically come on.

Ryan

Hey BCO or Tim ask those tundra people if they ever see a toyota with a snow plow plowing snow? All i see are a bucnh of chevys and some fords (mostly older ones) and dodges never seen a toyota i was curious i thought they were heavy duty

Ryan
    well....if you are used to it.....it's no biggee

but when it's thrown in front of you....

- Tim
    Use older trucks as snow plows. Maybe next year you will see a Tundra as a snow plow. Keep your eyes open. BTW, can you mount a snow plow on a Tundra? or will it tip over? LOL!!!

Dean
    Dean i have seen plows on S-10s. Also are city is so bright they have 2wd Fords (98 and 99's) as plows along with their heavy duty internationals. From some odd reason i have been seeing alot of 2wd trucks with plows.

The best i seen was a ZR2 with a plow a few wks ago when it first snowed. That night when coming home from work It was on a flat bed tow truck being unloaded at a body shop. Wonder what happened.

Been seeing alot of new HD's with plows.

Ryan
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Supposed to snow 4" to 8" in southern Ill on Tue Night late thru Wed. Looks like we will be on the high side of that. Just took my first final two more on thursaday. Have the 12' blade on the back of the 24,000 lb tractor with FWA and duals. That will move some snow. I guess dad has 5 driveways to do without me since I won't be home till friday. (Landlords and Grandparents and Ours). I hope the idiots don't get stuck in my way in the parking lot or crash into my truck. Oh well. I use 4 hi when I need 4wd, I use Autotrack when it is variable. : Mud 4hi, Snow covered 4hi, water, ice patches, snow patches, parking lots auto.

Best of luck

Hunter
  • newbamanewbama Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Mike L and markbuck; I was wondering as
    haven't seen one set on the lots down here or
    around town. Sure do see alot on the big Fords.

Are they comparable to the Ford camper mirrors?

Thanks

Charles
  • john294john294 Member Posts: 56
    www.gmcsuxs gm truck lemon center
    Got my first fact finding call from GM today,surpised her when I told her I was recording our conversation,(its legal in Va as long as you tell you are recording) Im not planning on loseing without a fight,Says next step is for area rep to evaulate truck,OK with me but everything he says must be in writting, dealer is screwing me because after we talked he will not put in writting what he told me.This is one BIG learnnig experience.
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    I thought that the dealer would get cold feet when it came to puting it in writting...understand the more you hold their feet to the fire to fix and when they can't, they will get more reluctant to work with you. Typically the Factory Service Reps (don't know what they are called now...my title was Zone Service Manager way back when) are quite stiff and evasive. Just smile and ask simple questions without challanging the guy to a dual or debate, but be to the point to get as direct an answer...make mental notes of what is said. When he excuses himself...to go confer with the tech or service manager, jot down in a notepad what was said then when you get the chance repeat it back to the rep to make sure everyone is working off the same page. You remember the TV show "Columbo"? His lines, "Now let me get this straight...", or "I'm not sure I understand..." are good, but don't overdo them. Remember don't get emotional, even though you just shelled out $30k of committment and probably have some right to. I works better if you let them find the conditions you point out and have thme tell you how they intend to fix it. "This is fixable without tearing my truck apart and keeping it off the road for a week, right?"
    Don't settle for the "commercially acceptable" routine...I used that when I had no clue how to provide a satisfactory repair, spelled the R&D center didn't have a clue either. The "It SEEMS to me that the other trucks in the lot probably don't do it..." would be a good counter on your part. These people thrive on statistics, so if you prove you have one in 10,000 you got a case.
    Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
    my $.02 worth
    matthew
    thank you for the input .Every bit of information like yours helps greatly prepare me for my adventure with GM. thanks again ,Happy Hoildays
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I really can't tell you much about the Ford mirrors. Only what I've seen on the road. The Ford mirrors are oriented vertically instead of horizontally. To me, a wider view is better than a taller one.

Another difference is the Ford mirrors are either power, or available as power mirrors while the Chevy mirrors are strictly manual. Which one is better is up to you. I am in the less is better group. Less power accessories equals less to go wrong. But then, I like manual transmissions too.

Mike L
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    lariat1 re: #164

come on down to sc (i'm sure people in florida will trump me on this one, but...) in august some time. first, the heat and humidity will scare you into buying a portable air conditioner (i call mine silverado) to accompany you everywhere you go, and second when the hurricanes hit...that's when panic starts. snow's rough, but unless you're caught in an avalanche, it's typically nowhere near as violent or randomly lethal as a hurricane. but...glad to hear you're uncommonly warm at 5 degrees today. it's 55 in sc right now. ;)

bco
    Now for the northern folks this would be a
    day in the park. But for us a major weather
    event. 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice on trees, roads
    closed, schools closed. Life comes to a halt.
    Not about to head down the hill truck may end
    up in the neighbors living room. This is when
    I should have visited family in south Fla.
    No tellin when will get the truck in for seat
    belt fix.
  • jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    I was driving down the road yesterday and I noticed excessive wind noise from around my driver's door. I check the seal and rubber and everything looked OK. I go again. Still alot of wind noise. I check the X-Cab door and it is loose. I shut it fairly hard and its still loose. I slam the door harder than I wanted to and its still loose. I shut my door pretty hard and the wind noise goes away. Anybody else having problems?

Finally I am glad I purchased my truck. Here in Central OK we received ice and snow last night. I know it nothing compared to you Northeners. I had no problems getting to work and I had to taxi a couple of co-workers in.

With all the ice and snow and I can see that these floor mats really suck. I think I am opting for the Husky liners. I checked out the carpteted liners but I can't see paying the extra $$.
  • gsxr1216gsxr1216 Member Posts: 62
    check the seals on the top of the doors on the cab of the truck, mine always used to fall down creating lots of wind noise, after pushing it back into place about 10 times i decided to silicone it in place, this finally stopped the problem.
This discussion has been closed.