2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• Options
    erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    I have turned down over $7000.00 in extended warranties over the years. My out-of-pocket repairs that may have been covered during that time... less than $300.00. I've always thought of them as unnecessary and Consumer Reports has come to the same conclusion. Yes, one day I may have some expensive repairs, but it'll be a long time before I'm in the red. Your best insurance is regular oil changes using Moil 1, regular maintenance and taking it easy the first few miles while the engine is cold.
  • Options
    rabidbowtierabidbowtie Member Posts: 29
    The vast majority of vibrations which develop in lower-mileage unmodified, unabused and undamaged vehicles are the result of tire problems (often caused from owner neglect), not engineering as some seem to imply. If those other brand trucks are immune, they must be hover craft.

For the record, me and the bank bought a 1999 2wd 3/4 ext cab Silverado little over 2 years ago. It now has about 12,000 mostly freeway miles. What a great truck, too bad I can't have seven, one for each day of the week. Just recently, the old garage queen developed a vibration. Did I ... panic? No. Call the Triple-B? No. Start a website? No. Whine? Definitely NOT. Demand recourse? No. a refund? No. A recount? No. Did I get hysterical like someone just threw a bag of chad in my face? No! What did I do? I went to dinner! ... followed by a brief driveway inspection of the most obvious and likely cause ... a tire - the right front to be exact. Sure enough ... it had a permanent flat spot. What a blessing! It gave me an excuse to try Geolandars ... voted the #1 smoothest riding light truck/SUV tire by The Tire Rack. Once again she drives smooth as a baby's bottom ... and then some.

As for warranty work ... I'd like to say I've had all sorts of problems, but ... I'd be lying.

- 1 flat spotted tire - non-vehicle related (replaced all 4)

- Drivers window clicking - I tightened a bolt in the door
    - Intermittent CD err - Probably needed cleaning - took the remote
    CD drive out, they gave me a new one to put back in - kewl!
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    If you're having problems with your Chevy Silverado, or have insights for those with problems, please visit this topic: Chevy Silverado Problems.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Town Hall Pickups Host
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157

If the chances are that you would need one....why would they sell them?

Sure....once in a while someone actually comes out ahead...but overall..you probably won't need it....unless you beat the hell out of your truck?

I think you can buy them like up to 9 months or so after you get the truck.....I remember them asking me at X months if I wanted it or not VIA letter from GM

save your money

or do like I tell people....take The $2200...stick it in a mutual fund...7 years from now...enjoy the money...if you needed any repairs...take it from that..

Good Luck

- Tim
  • Options
    rabidbowtierabidbowtie Member Posts: 29
    Oh Sure, I'm standing in the wrong line again.

My first post and I already screwed up ... LOL
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Has anyone (dean your not included) seen their temp on their mirror dip well below zero to a minus? I have never seen that in a vehicle i think my moms stops at 0. Mine was at -3 today.

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNN its cold

Doors are working fine again but my window is frozen up.

Ryan
  • Options
    bcobco Member Posts: 756
    ok, i don't have a problem with the new format, but damn...what happened to all the polite discussion?

john (#267) - honestly...did you test drive your truck before you bought it? look man, like oby said...call the bbb because there ain't nobody here who's going to be able to do anything for you except tell you how to go through the buyback procedure. i just hope your truck has spent enough time in the shop to qualify you for buy back at this point...

oby - your tone has changed greatly since you've contacted the bbb. used to be very positive, optimistic, and most of all - laid back. you now seem very negative and up tight. i understand you've had a lot of frustration with your truck, but you've also usually been a pretty even-keel kinda guy. everything ok?

tim, ryan, and rwag...same ole same ole. glad to see there are still a couple "pieces of the rock" around here.

rabidbowtie - wish i could afford 7 as well.

erikheiker - i agree. i did purchase an extended warranty on my wife's jimmy, but we bought it used and it only had about 8k left. besides, it's my wife's and if anything ever happens and i'm not around, at least i know she'll be taken care of.

bco
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Ryan....my temp reading right now is a chilly.....66 degrees F not Celcius....
  • Options
    HEY DEAN MINE WAS AT -3 DEGREES F (opps sorry im not yellin)

have you noticed no more posts at he yukon/tahoe site they are pretty upset.

Dean you gotta explain something to me

"Of course, in return, I piss him off also"

How do you piss him off? Its his job he has to deal with unhappy customers. Its not your fault.

Ryan
  • Options
    swolfe3swolfe3 Member Posts: 17
    I haven't posted here much but have been lurking. Yeah the tone has changed here. Oh well.
    On to the problem. I too had rear door closing problems. I lubed up the hinge points with duralube teflon spray and haven't had a problem since. Oh maybe it's because mine is a GMC! LOL. No seriously try it. It worked for me. Good luck!

Scott
  • Options
    I called the guy on Monday cause I wasn't sure if I was supposed to call him or him to call me. Previously, he insisted that GM was going to fix my truck. Unfortunately he didn't even know if it could be fixed. So when I talked to him on Monday, he was supposed to have spoken to the zone rep and the dealer. He only spoke to the dealer and not to the zone rep. So I asked him what happened and he says that he was in arbitration all day on various cases. I told him I didn't want his excuses just for him to do his job. He tells me he doesn't think that GM will buyback the truck. So I tell him, it's a good thing nobody cares what he thinks and to get a hold of the zone rep as he is the person that can authorize the buyback. He didn't like me telling him his job and that his opinion didn't matter. I stated that no one asked for his opinion. So why even bother to offer it. Furthermore, if he did like he said he would and contacted the zone rep, his opinion truely wouldn't matter and this whole thing wouldn't have to go to arbitration if the zone rep agreed. I'm thinking that the history of my truck is so well known among my dealer and the zone rep has been in to see it sooo many times, I don't think buyback is going to be a problem. However, I have to deal with this moron, procrastinator extreme...and in so with him irritating me....I just pay him back double.

swolfe3

been there done that. The doors are not aligned and no matter how much lube you put on....it ain't gonna fix it.
  • Options
    k0hbk0hb Member Posts: 89
    .....because I don't have anything to [non-permissible content removed] about. My '01 LT Ext-Cab (4 doors) doesn't shake, doesn't rattle, doesn't knock, doesn't clunk, ABS works as I expect, the doors all close nicely, the heated leather feels so good in -10 Minnesota weather, the 5.3L gives decent mileage and pulls like a horse, and my dealer has twice given me coupons for free oil/filter/lube/etc.

Hans
  • Options
    Filled up yesterday. I got 10.3 mpg my lowest to date.

All city driving with 4 wheel hi engaged.

Last 2 tanks all city driving and autotrac/4 hi the average is 10.4 mpg.

Luckily gas is down to $1.32

Ryan
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I'm also a daily commuter on I94 to Minneapolis in -10 degrees (actually its supposed to be below -20 here on the weekend - real temp, not wind chill).

My 99 has 30k on it, no problems. Just a few minor adjustments.

I think some people are a little too anal about their issues. It is after all a truck for f--- sakes. Little noises bothering you in winter? Turn up the stereo and the heat and be happy you are not the one stranded on the side of the road like the old POS beaters that come out in wintertime.
  • Options
    smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    $1.32!!! Sheesh, it's $1.66 for regular here in Seattle!

Dear Santa...
  • Options
    $1.32 87 octane
    $1.42 89 octane
    $1.52 93 octane

Gas prices are wierd just last wk (10 days ago) i paid $1.49 for 87 octane. Same place shell
    in northwest indiana

Ryan
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Yes it is a truck, but my '99 really doesn't have any of those problems. Or any problems, actually, at 18,000 miles. Ask my wife ... I am extremely picky.

I think good dealers make a difference.
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Gas is higher here in So Cal: about $1.52 is the lowest I found for regular. Of course we aren't driving as much in the cold. It was down to 80 degrees yesterday afternoon.

Richard
  • Options
    You are correct. The dealers do make a difference. But after what mine's been through, I can't blame them for giving up either. The list goes on and on and on.....gotta admit...this one's a POS. Although it is quite fast. 0 - 60--7.2 secs 1/4 mile 15.1 secs. Has to be those Torquemaster plugs....
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Damn, I can't believe some of the prices you guys post. Our prices (Northern California - SF Bay Area) are going down to:

$1.89 Reg
    $1.99 Mid
    $2.09 Prem

At least they are going down.

Mike L
  • Options
    They are finally available for 2500 4wd.

BE-6081 for the fronts
    BE-6082 for the rears

Got mine today, will install this weekend, then off to Death Valley between Christmas and New Years for some 4-wheelin' fun.

Look forward to these Bilsteins improving the ride and handling on the 2500 like they did on my 1500.

Mike L
  • Options
    Hey whered you get your bilsteins from?

How much did you pay?

Just curious

Ryan
  • Options
    xringxring Member Posts: 129
    87 Octane is $1.12 in OKC - hasn't gone up for the weekend travelers yet.

John
  • Options
    I got mine from Performance Products. As a past customer (I got the "Remove to Tow Ford" hitch cover from them) they sent me a 15% off coupon, so they were $50 each.

The ones for my 1500 I got from some off-road place. I did a web search for Bilstein, found a bunch of dealers and started calling. The prices did vary, but several had the same low price, so I selected one out of state so I didn't have to pay CA (8.25%) sales tax.

Mike I
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I finally got my 2001 Silverado 1500 LS, Z71, est-cab, two tone paint (white/pewter), 3.73, locking diff, towing, deep tint glass, etc., last night!!!
    I checked everything out very thoroughly for 2 hours, took it on a 45 minute test drive at all speeds up to 80 mph.
    I only have one thing to say about this truck (built 12/00 in Ft. Wayne)....it is absolutely flawless.
    No squeaks, rattles, wind noise, vibrations, shimmies, shakes, etc.
    I could not find a single thing wrong with this truck!
    Everything on it works correctly, it sits level, doors are aligned, drives straight, rides great, and looks awesome with the Westin Platinum CPS step bars.
    I'll post some pictures as soon as I get some.
    I am one very happy owner, no regrets at all.

-David
  • Options
    David

WOOHOO what a great early xmas present. Are you still going to surprise your folks with it?

Hey why are you driving it at 80 mph? Break in your not supposed to go over 55 (i went up to 65 on a few occasions).

Who put on your nerf bars?

Keep us updated

Ryan
  • Options
    jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    Aren't some of you being a little hypocritical? If there is a better place to post a question then politely tell that person they may receive better feedback if they check another area.

Let's face it we have seen pictures of people's dogs, pools, mountains in Hawaii, etc... We've seen discussion of weather, deer hunting, etc... My point is that while the central theme of this is the trucks we own or would like to own the posts often get of track.

Some of you are discussing extended warranties, if you want to get technical there are topics for this too.

I welcome the wide variety of topics discussed here, just don't flame a guy for getting of the beaten path.
  • Options
    Congrats on the new truck. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it?
  • Options
    Why u gotta bring me into this? Did i say anything about your post? NO

The pics of the weather, pets, and such break the monotomy of this topic. Most of us have been here for a long while and i would say we are all good friends and like to share other things that trucks.

Post away who cares.

Also what is this everyone pissed off cause of the new look edmunds?

I still dont see this thing called MARk pocahontas

Ryan
  • Options
    jmincher,
    I paid $28,435 + tax, license, etc. In other words....
    the final total was $31,526.
    I got just about every option available for a 1500 LS.
    Guys at the Chevrolet dealer were surprised to see a new two-tone Silverado come in.
    They hadn't seen one in 6 or 7 months.

Ryan,
    I bought the Westin Platinum CPS and the Lund Interceptor at local tire shop (Les Schwab).
    They gave me a good price and for an extra $50 they installed both of them. Did a good job and only took 1.5 hours. I hope I don't get the same crap you got for not installing them yourself either. And besides, if I did install them myself, I don't have 2 to 3 hours to burn to do it in until after Christmas. And I wanted it done now.
    I'll try to surprise my parents when I pick them up at the airport this Friday. But I bet my 4 year old son will tell them that daddy got a new truck when he talks to them on the telephone tonight.
    Tell them guys/gals over in Ft. Wayne they did a great job building my truck!
    My face hurts from smiling so much!

-David
  • Options
    Wow you paid alot.

Mine after taxes was $29,691 (this was including all my accessories). Only main diff was mine isnt 2 tone ($700).

Did you get power seats?

Ryan
  • Options
    smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    Glad to hear it all came together so well. Where did you get your step bars installed at?

I too have been very satisfied with my 1500 LT EC 4x4. Only annoyance I've noticed so far is a buzzy vibration in the left rear door when I jump on the stereo volume. I'm going to let it slide for another month or two, and see if anything else crops up before asking for it to be looked at.

Enjoy your new sleigh

-smikes
  • Options
    Go back and read my post. I agree with you, I like the occasional picture or story that you guys tell.

My issue was that somebody posts about a problem they are having and some of the people on here abruptly told them to go elsewhere. Enough of that crap.

dch--My truck has less options. Mine is 2000 X-Cab Z71 3.73 5.3L I have the manual shift transfer case and I opted out of the locking diff and I paid $26,500. I didn't get the tow kit, seeing how I never towed anything with my last truck. I also had a trade-in and in my opinion this part can make or break a good deal.
  • Options
    Oops, the correct part numbers are:

BE5-6081
    BE5-6082

I'm sure anyone interested the shocks would have figured that out.

Mike L
  • Options
    Ryan,
    Had to get the split bench seat in the front so that I can seat 6 people if needed.
    I paid $500 over invoice plus that stupid $300 advertising fee. God I hate that.
    Taxes here are 8.3% which equates to about $2360 in just taxes alone.
    License was $150.
    Destination charge went up to $720.
    Lots of money, that's for sure.
    But I still have no regrets, the truck is everything I expected and more.
    Some may say it has that Toyota feeling of initial quality. Let's hope it stays that way.
    I'll give an update on gas mileage once I go through my first tank of gas.

-David
  • Options
    Life is a [non-permissible content removed] ain't it....I don't know what your definition of a flame is....but f150rules could really flame....didn't see nothing close to that on this topic even resembling a flame.
  • Options
    Go back and read my post. I agree with you, I like the occasional picture or story that you guys tell.

My issue was that somebody posts about a problem they are having and some of the people on here abruptly told them to go elsewhere. Enough of that crap.

dch--My truck has less options. Mine is 2000 X-Cab Z71 3.73 5.3L I have the manual shift transfer case and I opted out of the locking diff and I paid $26,500. I didn't get the tow kit, seeing how I never towed anything with my last truck. I also had a trade-in and in my opinion this part can make or break a good deal.
  • Options
    Everyone here is going to have a different opinion/experience..., so let's just all agree to disagree. If you don't like what someone says, the best thing to do is: ignore, scroll, and continue with your discussion. Responding to posts you don't like will only create more "unwanted" posts... Okay?

Also, understand that it's very easy to misinterpret what people say here, given that there are no intonations/facial expression... to go along with their messages. So let's also try to be patient/calm in trying to communicate with each other.

And now, let's back to the subject of the Chewy Silverado. Thanks. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Pickups Host
  • Options
    Just trying to clarify....so there's no misunderstanding so to speak...and now back to Silverado the movie.....errr.. truck...

LOL!!
  • Options
    Now look who's flaming ;-)
  • Options
    You should see blue "mark" buttons on your page, and a message center near the bottom of the page. However, that's another bug we're trying to work out... sometimes they will disappear.

Make sure you're logged in; or try leaving and entering this conference again. If you don't have "marks" by tommorrow, or the next day, please let me know in: Questions about the Pickups Conference. Good luck. ;-)

AND back to the topic: Chevy Silverado.

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Pickups Host
  • Options
    gsxr1216gsxr1216 Member Posts: 62
    Everything seems to be working good now for me, my login functions, the marks work, the only downfall is having to go to the main topic page to pick the topic (there might be someway to do it that i don't know, my bad???) i would have to say you guys did a fairly good jod fixing the problems at hand pretty well considering you did it in less than a week, i can not say as much for other sites i check out which have gone through a change of software in the past. Thanks!

• Options
    ckulusckulus Member Posts: 24
    Hello,
    Thanks to those of you who responded about the extended warranty. Now I have a question about the engine block heater. I ordered my truck to come from the factory with the block heater. The owner's manual says that if you have temperatures below 0 degrees F, that the block heater is a good option. But can it be used at higher temperatures? For instance, let's say it is 10 degrees F, is it okay to plug in the heater for an hour before taking off? And if it gets way down to 20 or more below zero F, can I leave it plugged in before I go to bed, so that it would be plugged in for 8 hours before I take off?

Thanks,

Chet Kulus
  • Options
    99crewcab199crewcab1 Member Posts: 79
    Not sure if this will work, haven't been able to post since this new change. You guys have gas cheap. It hovering in around $1.89 here in Santa Barbara. It's a rip off! Going up to oregon this saturday for christmas. I'll have to take some pics of when my dad and I go offroading up there in his truck. I think it's in the 30s to 40s up there.
    Nick

PLEASE WORK :-)
  • Options
    99crewcab199crewcab1 Member Posts: 79
    OH MY GOD, AM I BACK? hope it lasts
  • Options
    Looks like my mileage definitely took a dump! Lots of ice and snow with AutoTrac working overtime gave me 11.94253635064 mpg. I'm still waiting for prices to drop here. Last night I paid $1.569. But I'm really impressed with the truck's ice and snow performance. The other day a Dodge Ram was stopping in the lane next to me. His tires locked up and he almost went through the light! I, on the other hand, braked to a normal stop without the ABS ever kicking in. The dynamic proportioning system really works great. I'm also leaving it in 2 HI and finding that I can take off from a dead stop without spinning the rears at all most of the time. Sometimes the rear diff locks up and I still take right off. I don't think any of the other trucks out there can come close to our trucks when it comes to starting and stopping in winter conditions. All in all, I'm really happy with my new truck.
  • Options
    jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    I got your page....LOL.........thanks for information........

John
  • Options
    Chet, feel free to plug in your truck whenever you want to. The Municipality of Anchorage recommends plugging in when it gets to 20 degrees. Unless a vehicle has a higher temperature plug in recommendation, 20 degrees is the warmest you'd really need to plug in. The only way you can damage the heater is to plug it in when it is not immersed...and you'd have to lose almost all your coolant for that to happen. As for length of time plugged in, the colder it is, the longer you want it plugged in. Usually two hours will work down in America. But on a super cold night, I'd go with four hours or more. Just depends on how much money you have, but you can use an appliance timer...just make sure it can handle the wattage. Most block heaters are 400 watts, although I don't know if that's correct for our trucks.
  • Options
    xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Speaking of blockheaters. My truck (Y2K 2500, 6.0L) did not come with a block heater and I want to add one now. Has anyone done this? How hard is it to do? Any problems to look out for? Do they tend to leak or rust in the future?

Appreciate any info anyone can provide.

John
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    well...I'd imagine you could use it an any temp.....

The truck would deliver heat faster and start easier....

While I have not had any probems starting mine........I have yet to plug in the heater.......why did I get it then?

beats me!

It was $26 !

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.