Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    mz888mz888 Member Posts: 2
    Thinking to buy a HL in a week, anything new with dealer incentives and manufacturer rebates?
  • Options
    pedropedro Member Posts: 1
    A few questions.
    1. Is the Limited worth the money or should I go for the standard and build options like 3row seat, leather, moonroof, until I get all the things I want?

2. For a AWD V6 w/ leather, moon, airbags and a few others, I was quoted MSRP 35,916 and Invoice 32,064 and PP of 32,439? Does that sound reasonable?

3. The paper work includes 2 charges, TDA=$405 and Whsl. Financial Reserve = $313. What are these, are they nego?

Thanks
  • Options
    wildredwildred Member Posts: 43
    1. Buying a limited would be cheaper than adding options. There are always things that you could not add to a non-limited, or they wouldn't call it a "limited".

2. Anything above the invoice is unreasonable for the Highlander. You should at least be able to get it a couple of hundred under.

3. TDA is Toyota Dealer Advertising which is legit and nonnegotiable. I would rather concentrate on the final price instead of each listed item.
  • Options
    drva1drva1 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the best experience ever at Koons Arlington Toyota in Virginia. Went online on a Friday night at 10:30. Within 10 minutes I had a response and a quote with three options I was considering. Not the exact vehicle, but close. Who's up this late. He indetified himself as the night owl Internet Sales Manager. LOL At any rate, we shot mail back and forth and agreed on price and features. The next day he called me with exact figures and a screen shot of the window sticker. He justified his position with market analysis and edmunds.com TMV. What the heck. I'm getting a Highlander Limited for $800 over invoice. It's worth it when you get professional service from someone that is competent and friendly. I was skeptical about the whole internet process and never thought it would go that far. But before I knew it I was happily agreeing to the sale. I'm supposed to be cautious, I am a doctor! I highly recommend these folks and we are thinking of getting a Sienna this Fall it went so smooth.
  • Options
    joannejoanne Member Posts: 2
    After LOTS of research we bought our 6cyl, AWD HL (not Limited) last night! It has airbags, moon roof , 3rd seat, PE,CQ,EH, RL, CF, TO as well. WE got in on the 1.9 for 48 months and paid 27,689 plus 160 document fee and tax title license. So, basically we pd 27,849 plus tax/title/license. How does that sound-hopefully decent
  • Options
    joannejoanne Member Posts: 2
    This was the 1st time I have ever posted a message anywhere so hopefully someone will respond- meant to add that I held out for my desired color (oasis green-neck in neck with bluestone but couldn't find it any where. Hope I'm not sorry if I ever do see the bluestone- found out thought the bluestone has been around since the HL came out and the green is new this year. Comments? If you live in MI like I do I can tell you the cities where you can land a deal--
  • Options
    jstrawjstraw Member Posts: 8
    Recommendation for the Minneapolis area ...

About an hour into my first visit to the dealership, I drove away as a satisfied customer with my new HL Limited (FE, SR, GY, TO, EJ, LA, HD, CF). All prior communications were via email.

The dealer was willing to subtract nearly $200 to match my prior best offer of ~$200 over invoice with 0% 36-month financing.

I found Rudy Luther Toyota by looking along a planned vacation route for Toyota Signature dealers. Toyota recently published the list at http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/dealers/signature/dealerlist.html, though the web page appears to be gone now.
  • Options
    mz888mz888 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a V6 w/3rd row seat 4X2 Silver @ 24,100, MSRP $28,542. Very Happy!. Thanks to all of inputs here, give me a lot of help.
  • Options
    nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Where did you buy it?????
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is working on a story about current model year cars and summer sellathons and would like to interview someone who thinks they've figured out when is the best time to buy a current model-year car - late summer? Early fall? She's looking for someone who's shopping for a good deal right now but recent shoppers may also respond.
    Please write to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 12, 2004 with your daytime contact info and thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    vronnevronne Member Posts: 5
    AGAIN!, where did you buy a V6 for 24,100
  • Options
    forejudosforejudos Member Posts: 3
    Here's what I got in the LA/OC area last month at the Toyota of Orange:

2004 Base 2WD Model, Black/Charcoal
    Options:
         Convenience Pkg. - Code CQ
         Floor Mats - Code CF

Price: $19,688

It was one of the ad cars where there is only 1 available and this time I was the One. As you can tell there were no bells and whistles, but I believe this is a couple thousand below invoice, right?

If I did get taken it was on the stock alarm system, where they told me it was worth around $700 but ended up paying $400; isn't the MSRP for the alarm around $400? Would like to know feedback on the alarm, but otherwise I enjoyed a pleasant experience due to the low price I got.

Thanks for all the inputs on this board.
  • Options
    annivaanniva Member Posts: 1
    Bought the base model last night with sunroof, side airbags, appearance package, convenience package, power seats, to, daytime running lamps, fog lamps, heated mirrors. No preferred accessory package but got floor mats as part of the deal. Paid $27,500 plus taxes and tags from Kay Jennings Springfield Toyota. Seemed like a pretty good deal, right? Or not?

I live in the metro D.C. area, and one good thing about buying a Toyota around here is that there are about five dealers that may be interested in pricing your vehicle. I was on the phone all day yesterday sort of auctioning them down. Finally made a decision at 7 p.m.

A dealer called me back today and said he would've given me 27K even if I had given him the opportunity. He might have been blowing smoke because he didn't have to honor the deal.

I got to the point where I just couldn't deal with the buying process anymore. It's not very fun for me; glad it's done!
  • Options
    dallasgirl04dallasgirl04 Member Posts: 3
    Almost ready to buy a 4cyl. base model HL for 22,800 with only quick order package as extra. However, researching closer, I'm seeing that I'm really still paying over invoice which should be $22,277. I haven't seen that anyone here is really just paying invoice. What's realistic? Any thoughts. thanks.
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    $22,800 is a killer deal for a base model HL and the lowest I've ever seen -- go for it!
  • Options
    tdevanetdevane Member Posts: 35
    I was wondering if anyone out there has recently leased a Highlander Limited and what kind of deal you got?
  • Options
    I bought my new base model HL but got it for $22,535 instead of 22,800. Plus they met my deal for the trade and I saved on taxes. All the internet information and finding this site really helped.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    See my post #1061, got my base HL for $22285 plus tax, tag, & title. It was pretty close to base, just the quick order pkg and one or two other options. Good luck.
  • Options
    tom8tom8 Member Posts: 1
    2004 Highlander V-6 4x4 plus doc, title, tax; With options FE RL EH GY TO AG CQ HE LF CF for $26,100. Sticker price is $30983
  • Options
    Your post #1061 is the example that I used to base my negotiations off of... that info really helped. However, it looks like you still beat me by a few hundred dollars. As they say in Texas, we dun good!
  • Options
    bandit1bandit1 Member Posts: 3
    I hope I am in the right forum. My first time here. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has purchased a manufacturers warranty on a 2004 V6 Highlander? A local Dealer in Danbury has given me a price of $ 28,000 ($ 1,000 rebate already deducted). This price includes: SR,GY,HE,AG,CQ,DJ,V5,CF,TO,LF,GN,RL, and EH. I have added 9F (Tow Hitch) & R7 (Rear Spoiler) for about $ 550. Total $28,550. which I believe is a good deal.

The only thing that is bugging me is the Manufacturer's 7 year / 100,000 mile extended warranty which I want to purchase just for piece of mind. The dealer wants an additional amount of $1,699 for the warranty. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has purchased the extended 7 year / 100,000 mile manufacturer's warranty, and what they paid for it from their dealer. $ 1,699 seems a bit high to me, but am not sure. I think I can negotiate this price with the Dealer. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    For questions specific to the vehicle including warranty you might try the Toyota Highlander discussion. This board is mainly for discussing and comparing prices people have actually paid along with their experiences.

tidester, host
  • Options
    It's a great deal -- go for it!!!
  • Options
    jrhjrh Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone recommend a good Chicago area dealer.
  • Options
    jstrawjstraw Member Posts: 8
    No personal experience, but I found Schaumburg Toyota (http://schaumburg-toyota.com/index.asp) in the list of Toyota Presidents' Award winners when I was searching a few months ago. According to Toyota, "Each year, Toyota Motor Sales recognizes its finest dealerships with the prestigious President's Award. It's the highest honor a dealership can receive from Toyota, and is only awarded to those dealerships who have demonstrated a commitment to maintaining Toyota's high standards for customer satisfaction."
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    yonderyonder Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any experience in buying a HL in the bay area? It seems a lot of places are plain rude and expensive... (compared to Chicago)

thanks
  • Options
    daveandcoreydaveandcorey Member Posts: 1
    How do you like the highlander? Have you experienced any problems yet? How is the gas mileage? We live in Olney, MD and are thinking about getting the 4x2 V6 3rd/seat for our family of 4. I work in Abingdon, MD & will have to take a ride up to Bel Air.
  • Options
    azagentazagent Member Posts: 4
    Well, we did it. After gathering all of the outstanding information posted by everyone we organized our figures and after some pretty HEATED discussion this is what we got at Alexander Toyota in Yuma, Arizona.:
    6928 4WD V6
    FE-Emissions
    EH-Heated Mirrors (like we need them here)-lol
    SR-Sun Roof
    GY-Side Air Bags
    TO-Tow Pkg
    AG-Appear. Pkg
    CQ- Conven. Pkg.
    HE-Prefer. Pkg
    CF-Floor mats
    R7-Rear Spoiler

Rebate $-1000.00
    Cash Price $27,398.00 plus T/T/L
    Plus they gave us a great deal on my trade I was upside down on. I think we did o.k.??TMV=$27,771.00 with the same options. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    wildredwildred Member Posts: 43
    Rude dealership, rude salesman, indeed! The sad thing is that they think they can jerk you around at will. Wonder if they will ever learn.

I have long given up finding a 'nice' person in the car sales business. Instead, I concentrate on finding a best deal. When you read posts here about nice experiences and nice salesmen, it is usually at a higher price. In other words, money buys you ‘good experience’. I feel much better keeping more money in my pocket than the temporary ‘good experience’.

Speaking of good deals, how's $212 below invoice sound? See msg #1076.
    wildred Jun 3, 2004 10:46am

If you had any question, just e-mail me. Best of luck!
  • Options
    livinginsclivinginsc Member Posts: 7
    2WD / 2004 Highlander V6 w/3rd row
    AG
    CQ
    PE
    DJ
    CF
    TO
    LF
    NE
    RL
    $25,607, this has the $750 rebate in price, plus tax and tags. Good deal?
  • Options
    I live in the South Bay. Toyota of Palo Alto consistently has very polite sales people. Toyota Sunnyvale and Stevens Creek Toyota are ok. Piercy Toyota is good too, and seem to be willing to go low in price, so I'd start with them or Toyota of Palo Alto. Didn't care for the sales people at the Toyota dearleship near San Carlos (can't remember the name), but that was a few years ago. Wasn't thrilled with the sales people at Capitol Toyota, but that was only based on a short visit 3 years ago, so can't make a firm recommendation there either way. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    What is the $1000 rebate for? In lieu of 0% financing?
  • Options
    azagentazagent Member Posts: 4
    "What is the $1000 rebate for? In lieu of 0% financing?"

No, it was in lieu of 1.9% for 4 years. So we took the rebate and went with our credit union for 5.5% for 6 years. I know..Iknow..I probably should have taken the 1.9 but it all came to the payment for right now.
  • Options
    livinginsclivinginsc Member Posts: 7
    We think we did pretty good! Did extensive research on internet, worked e-mail with 4 dealers, took their lowest price dropped $300 off of that and took to our local dealer, they matched the offer! Car was not in stock, should be in by next week!
    2WD / 2004 Highlander V6 w/3rd row
    AG
    CQ
    PE
    DJ
    CF
    TO
    LF
    NE
    RL
    $25,314 Out the door!
  • Options
    bobchandlerbobchandler Member Posts: 5
    Regarding my post #1105 - here are my details:

4 Cly AWD BlueStone Met with
    QO (Quick Order)
    TO (Tow Prep)
    RL (Daytime Runing Lights)
    MG (Color Keyed Mud Guards)
    CF (Carpet/Cargo Mat Set)
    GN (Cargo Net)

$24,737
    then $750 Rebate
    then $788 off for dealer frequent shopper program

Total $23,199

This site really helped with my research. I wish I could have avoided the (scam) tow prep package though.
  • Options
    Check out the Cosco Car Buying program.
    Got a V6, AWD HL at $300 under MFR Invoice, no haggling.

Also, thanks to those that suggested Carmax. Got over $900 more than dealers were willing to give on trade-in.
  • Options
    richard_brichard_b Member Posts: 2
    Agreed with the above.
    I went through Costco, Cars Direct, and 3 local dealers. (All online)

The car we were looking for was the FWD V6 w 3rd Row:
    AG Appearance Package
    CQ Convenience Package
    CF Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set
    LF Fog Lamps
    WL Alloy Wheel Locks
    RL Daytime Running Lights
    GN Cargo Net
    FE 50 State Emissions

Invoice on the car is 24,896 (that is including destination)

Got Costco's bottom line. Cars Direct was $40 cheaper, but I would have to travel to get it. (the OTD price was 26,475)

I took that bottom line number to a local dealer. He said if I took one off the lot i could get it for 26,300, OTD.

(Paid 24,300 (this includes $1000 rebate) plus tax, title, reg, WINDOW ETCHING!, etc. = 26,300)

And they had our second choice color (white with gray interior)

I was also paying cash, so they knew I was a serious buyer.

I am happy with the price, but I see someone payed 25,300 OTD - THAT is a really good deal!
  • Options
    jfb3557jfb3557 Member Posts: 1
    I'm negotiating price for a Toyota Highlander, Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A). The base invoice price is $27,926. What does Toyota charge the dealer for the base price?

John
    jfb3557@comcast.net
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Welcome to Town Hall! Edmunds.com lists invoice (to dealer) price at $24,375 in our Pricing Report. I'm not sure if that's your question, but if so, make sure you check out what others are paying in your area -- start at the new car tab at the top of the page, and then you can "drill down" to the 04 Highlander.

Also, you might want to delete & re-post your message without your e-mail address. Posting your e-mail on a public message board is a good way to make sure you get even more SPAM!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    goofy1148goofy1148 Member Posts: 2
    Was going to pickup an awd v6 Bluestone Highlander 2 weeks ago. Price $28,200 (not including tax/tag). Don't remember the options..since there are a million or so...the most common options with sunroof, no leather, and dealer installed wood-grain ($500). Liked the way th wood-grain looked in limited..but didn't want leather. Long story short--Boch Toyota in Norwood, MA would not take my form of payment. Let me walk out the door..upset...on the day of delivery! COMPLETELY unprofessional management staff!! DO NOT GO THERE...even though they basically give cars away!
  • Options
    stevediegostevediego Member Posts: 3
    Wondered what happened after you saw the GM... hope things turned out well for you.

Steve in Sunny South CA.
  • Options
    lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Let me guess. You brought in a "draft" from some on-line lender?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... would not take my form of payment.

NOTE TO SELF: Remind Car Buying Tips Editor to caution against making payment in the form of pennies, seashells, refundable deposit soda cans and first born. :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    mtnlacamtnlaca Member Posts: 2
    Bought a V6 Toyota Highlander w/ 3rd row seat from Elmore Toyota in Westminster, CA with the following options:

SR/TO/DJ/NE/AG/CQ/HE/CF

Price: $26,706 + tax + license - $1000 rebate

I had negotiated the price over the phone through their internet sales department. After test driving the car, the salesman even hand wrote on a piece of paper:

"I will pay $26,706 + T + L - $1000"

He asked me to sign it, so he could show it to his manager. I was told the final price out the door was $29,413. I had assumed that this was what $26,706 comes out to when you add tax and license.

After pushing pretty hard to get me to buy the alarm system and the extended warranty, which I declined, the financial person asked me to sign a form for the sealant. I told him that I did not want the sealant. He told me that it was at no extra cost and had already been included in the price. I repeated to him several times that I did not want to buy the sealant, and he kept insisting that it was at no extra cost. We went back and forth a few more times, and I told him I wanted to see the itemized bill. He finally showed it to me, and there it was $26,706(car) + $399(sealant) + T + L = $29,413. I told him again that I did not want the sealant, he then insisted that this was the deal that I had made. Again, we went back and forth a couple of times. Ultimately, after making me wait another 15 minutes, they finally took the charge for the sealant off, and I got a price of just over $29,000 before the rebate. The whole process took an exhausting 2.5 hours, which I don't understand because the price was pre-negotiated.

I should have left and not purchased the car, but I liked the color, which I could not find elsewhere, and I had already spent too much time there, so I didn't want to start all over somewhere else. I told them that I was not satisfied with them and that I was disappointed that they essentially tried to sneak something in that I did not want. Of course, they apologized several times stating that it was an error of miscommunication on their part. Yeah, right........ I realize that this is an old trick. But in the grand scheme of things, it's only $399, and I won't buy from them again, nor will I recommend them. I have had good experiences buying cars through other internet sales departments before, but this one was horrible. I'm wondering if others have to spend 2 to 2.5 hours at the dealership when buying their car through the internet.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think this kind of behavior is going to continue until more people walk away from the F&I box or start suing the dealers for wasting their time. Maybe the trick for negotiating over the phone is to get the deal down in writing by fax before showing up.

Since the F&I box is where many of these deals go sour, how about we all start refusing to go there and insist on closing the deal on a table on the floor. The salesperson can run the signatures back and forth and if the F&I person comes down to push mop and glow, we can all start yelling in front of the other customers.

"Almost a full one-third of the consumers who contacted us explained that following the purchase of their vehicle, they noticed undisclosed charges, services and products on the contract – extras that they did not negotiate or that they were recorded as purchasing despite their explicit refusal."

Citizen.org (pdf file)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Are the main reason I never owned a Toyota, that is until a couple months ago. A Toyota is a fine product, and the dealers know it, so they use every trick to make as much money as possible.
    #1148 by goofy1148
    What was the form of payment they wouldn't accept?
    #1152 by mtnlaca
    Nice work!!! You were way too nice though, I've seen people make a scene in the show room over something like that, screaming quite loud with obscenities. I too prefer to work with the internet sales folks first.
    #1155 by tony1628
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. But why didn't you just walk out? $525 dealer prep for a used car? Ripoff! $200 doc. fee is a standard trick to make more money. $200 for reg. & title isn't out of line depending on the state you live in. But you didn't have to buy the car when they rolled in those charges. Just politely scream "take those off or I'm not buying the car". Oh, and I wouldn't waste my time writing to their HQ's.
  • Options
    aramanaraman Member Posts: 3
    Hello!

Contacted dealer through SAMS Club and got a quote which is around $150.00 less than invoice. Was told I cant negotiate further since its already below invoice and also since I came through SAMs club.

For a new '04 HL Limited edition I have been quoted

MSRP $34580.00
    Invoice $30133.00
    Final Price: $29507 + tax + title

The final price is derived from $29988.00 (dealer asking price) - $750 rebate + $269.00 (doc fee - rip off!).

Its fully loaded except for Nav. and 4WD. Silver Millenium color, Leather, premium 6CD changer, Heated Seats, Side Curtain Airbags, Moonroof/Sunroof etc.

Does it sound a good deal??

Thanks

Andy
  • Options
    fisfis Member Posts: 18
    Any Toyota people out there please help me answer this question (I have only been to one dealer and don't trust their answers):

Is it possible to configure a 2WD Highlander with a V6 and Leather and a 3rd row plus most of the convenience features including CD changer? I want a 2WD V6 with just every convenience except DVD and a $36+K sticker price.

Toyota packages are hard to figure out, but I think in theory I could get this a couple of ways:

1) 2WD V6 Limited with 3rd Row + LP + EJ

2) 2WD V6 with 3rd row + LP CQ EJ SR GY AW/AG? TH 9F TO NE

It seems to me that I should be able to configure such a car with an MSRP in the $32-33K range, and an invoice price in the $29-30K range.

The dealer I went to said they don't make 2WD Highlanders with leather and cd changer. I find this hard to believe.
  • Options
    Although the combination of options available on Highlanders tend to be restricted, most Limited models have V6/Leather/3rd row/6-disk CD changer in the 34K-36K range, and, yes, they're available in 2WD. Keep searching until you find a dealer that has what you want and that is more honest with you!