Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    mtpulsarmtpulsar Member Posts: 10
    For the benefit of others who may read this...never pay for window etching. You can buy a kit online, for less than $20, and do it yourself. Took me less than 15 minutes to do it and I'm no handyman.
  • Options
    nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    Don't forget to let your insurance know about the etching. Not much of a discount but it's better than nothing.
  • Options
    shoreladyshorelady Member Posts: 13
    I am interested in the highlander sport too. With all your equipment can you please tell me the msrp on your car. Thanks
  • Options
    bigbuck4bigbuck4 Member Posts: 4
    The MSRP was $35,179.The final negotiated price was $31,700
    less our $2000 trade-in for a final cost of $29,700 + tax and tags. I shopped the $29,700 with 2 other dealers and they would not match it. We are very happy with the car.
  • Options
    kking1977kking1977 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchase this exact vehicle:

2007 Highlander 4 Cylinder No Third Row No AWD
    Here are my options:

Value Pack 1=$665
    Window Tint TW2=$211
    Tow Prep Pack=$160
    Carpet mats=$245
    Woodgrain Dash Accents DM1=$399
    Color Fender Flares TG8=$499

Ok, now here is my deal. I paid $25,306 before taxes, fees, etc. If you add taxes, dealer fees, rebates, etc. I got it for 25,500 dollars out the door.

Here is my question:
    The only website that lists all my options installed is KBB. If you choose all my options for KBB and pick the Southeast Toyota Admin fee of $697 and $50 extra delievery fee for Southeast then according to KBB the invoice price is $25302 which means I got it for 4 bucks under invoice. If I leave off the SET admin fee and delivery I paid a little over 700 over invoice.

I know everyone says the SET fee is legit and all dealers get charged it. So do you guys really think i got this car for 4 dollars under invoice and do you think it was a fair deal.

Thanks,
  • Options
    Thank you for the info. I live in new jersey-Can you tell me what state you are in/ Thanks again
  • Options
    bigbuck4bigbuck4 Member Posts: 4
    I live in PA and bought the Highlander at Conicelli Toyota in Norristown PA. I emailed Turnersville Toyota in NJ and they were very interested in my business. However, by the time Turnersville replied I had already finalized the deal with Conicelli which is closer and more convenient to my home.

I would definitely recommend shopping VIA the internet. Just pull up dealers that are close to your zip code and check their inventory on their website then go in and test drive and see which dealer has what you want, when you want it, at the price you want. There are alot of Highlanders out there and dealers willing to work with you - especially if you are willing to wait (Christmas is good time to buy).

Make sure you have your invoice pricing from Edmunds in hand with you. I also gave the dealers a date when I wanted to buy and had my own financing.

One more thing, I also checked Carbuyingtips.com for info. Although it portrayed car salespeople as the underbelly of America - and was quite amusing - it did have some very good information. I read through Edmunds' "Secrets of a Car Salesman" too which was informative as well.

Ironically, there were some dealers who never responded to my email and did not seem to be very interested in doing business. The one thing I must say about Conicelli is that our salesman definitely wanted to sell us the car and worked hard to close the deal.

Good Luck and when you are negotiating, remember the Golden rule.. "He who has the gold, makes the rules". If you are unhappy, just walk. There will be another Highlander at another dealer waiting for you to buy it!
  • Options
    Thank you for all your info. I will shop around like you said. Love your golden rule!!!! Will let you know how I make out. thanks again.........
  • Options
    alohatofualohatofu Member Posts: 16
    I got a 2008 HL Base 2WD with 3rd row seat
    FE, EH, CQ, RL, TO, and CT for $26162. Is this a good price?
  • Options
    lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    What did you pay on top of $26162 besides sales tax?
  • Options
    Just $26162 plus sales tax. I guess it's an ok deal?
  • Options
    You probably could do a little better but this is close enough to invoice.
  • Options
    That's the invoice price. I got it for invoice. But I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not.
  • Options
    Price is related to your location.I think you did good but could knock off a little more from the price. Look at my post #2567, tell me what you think. On any rate deal is done now, enjoy your car.
  • Options
    I renegotiated and got $25762 pretty good now?
  • Options
    Certainly better. I said that you could get better deal.
  • Options
    Thank you very much! You Kinda saved me $600 =)
  • Options
    paquettepaquette Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at 2008 sport with moonroof, leather seats, 3rd row, theft, cold weather, & tow package. The sticker price is $36,635 with destination fee. I'm being offered a deal at $33,700. Is this a good price?
  • Options
    No,

I would try and try again. Shoot for in the $30k area. MSRP should be around $34k only (w/out dest)

I thought I had a good deal at first but then I worked and Worked again and got $600 cheaper.

Walk! dont' afraid to walk.
  • Options
    ratbastidratbastid Member Posts: 3
    How's this:

08' FWD Ltd, JBL stereo, moonroof, auto rear air, power rear door. The salesman said the sticker is $36,745, invoice is $33,331. He's offering me 1% or 2% over invoice. I'm thinking $33,700. Decent?

Also, what sort of money factor is Toyota offering on 36 month leases these days?
  • Options
    fptgfptg Member Posts: 10
    Depending where you are and what the inventory situation is.
    It is a good deal on this vehicle at this time. I have the same pricing in NY Metro area. Ultimately, you are looking at a new model which in some areas is in short supply. Color may be a factor as well. I chose a Sport/Leather/Sun Roof, etc. in Magnetic Gray which was on the water. I will probably get it next week. For me it came down to this: I found a dealer where I can get the manager or my salesperson on the phone anytime, that means a lot to me as I have had post-sale issues in the past. I read posts from people that claim to have paid at or below invoice and I congratulate them. Good luck with your purchase.
  • Options
    paquettepaquette Member Posts: 5
    I'm also dealing with a dealership where I can easily get in touch with my salesperson. I've got a 2001 Highlander Limited to trade and we need a tow hitch, so I'm hoping to get a good deal on these items. I'm also going for free oil changes for the first year as I've seen some dealerships offering this. I will walk if I have to and appreciate everyone's input. We're sitting with the salerperson Monday so I'll keep this site updated.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Your subtraction doesn't seem to "add up". Your reduction is only $400.00, not the $600.00 that you stated in the earlier post. Did they give you something else to get to the higher amount or is my subtraction just a bit rusty?

The Sandman :confuse:
  • Options
    nusuvnusuv Member Posts: 3
    2008 Highlander, 6 Cylinder, with a Third Row

Base Price $27300

DJ AM/FM 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer $250.00
    CQ Convenience Package (Black Roof Rails) $240.00
    FE 50 State Emissions
    PR Engine Immobilizer $60.00
    QM Manual Rear Air Conditioning System $415.00
    w/ Rear Vents for 2nd & 3Rd Row
    CF Carpet Mat Set $230.00
    DELIV/PROC/HAND $740.00

Total Price $29,235.00

Offer is for $27,100 + Tax + Title, which is higher than what others have paid on this forum. Dealer is indicating the vehicle does not exist so 2-4 weeks waiting is expected. Please advice.

Thanks,
  • Options
    Sorry, the $200 extra is because they quoted me w/out the $200 over invoice. I thought that was invoice.

25762 I think is a very good price
  • Options
    I would try to get in the $26000 price
  • Options
    is it for 2WD or 4WD?
  • Options
    microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    There are many posts on this forum stating Highlanders are being purchased for not too much over invoice, yet here in NorCal dealers are not coming down much off MSRP in my experience. Edmunds pricing also says the cars are going for MSRP in NorCal. Am I just in the wrong part of the country, or am I not dealing enough?
  • Options
    kenbui2000kenbui2000 Member Posts: 4
    You should pay about 10% off from the final MSRP price for all HL 08. You can get 10% off from the base model too if you are lucky. Mine was 9.4% (#2579). Good luck!
  • Options
    nusuvnusuv Member Posts: 3
    it's for 2WD
  • Options
    sabrsabr Member Posts: 1
    keep working the phones/internet. i found that a bunch of toyota dealers either didn't respond to my emails or quoted an uncompetitive near MSRP price. if you keep looking around, you should find some that will quote much better prices.
  • Options
    I am interested in buying a new highlander but see a lot of posts on hesitation issues. Has anyone who has a 2008 having this problem.??? thanks
  • Options
    hsvillagehsvillage Member Posts: 36
    I recently bought a 2008 Base Highlander and have over 1000 miles on it now. I've experienced no hesitation when accelerating, in fact I have have the opposite situation. The electronic speed control has no lag at all (at least none I can detect). Our 2001 Highlander has mechanical linkage which has a slight (milliseconds) lag when moving from a dead stop. I don't see this as a problem - just something I have to get use to.
  • Options
    smgeorge222smgeorge222 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 Highlander Limited with about 700 miles so far and I haven't noticed any hesitation. I am very happy with the smoothness of the ride, great acceleration, and extremely quiet. Much quieter than previous models
  • Options
    meh531meh531 Member Posts: 3
    I was just given an offer on this model:

2008- Toyota Highlander Sport SUV 4WD V6

FE- Fifty state emissions
    EH- Cold weather package
    HJ- Homelink computer
    PN-Alarm system with engine immobilizer
    QC- Front dual climate control
    QR- Automatic rear air conditioning
    TO- Tow package
    SR- Sunroof
    LA- Leather

For $31995 + Tax/Title.

This price was matched by another dealer.

Looks unusually good to me. Opinions?
  • Options
    bigausbigaus Member Posts: 8
    That price is just under Edmunds invoice which sound great. Do you mind if I ask what state you are in?
  • Options
    z1roadsterz1roadster Member Posts: 6
    As stated in the title, I'm in the market for the 2008 Limited Edition FWD Highlander with NAV, what is a reasonable price I should expect to pay or negotiate to ???? I'm located in southern california. Thanks all...
  • Options
    leonsleons Member Posts: 3
    Purchased a Silver, black leather 4x4 Sport Highlander for $33,581, plus tax and title about 10 days ago. Car has leather, sunroof, power lift gate, front dual-zone A/C, rear auto A/C, Bluetooth, tow package, cold package, engine immobilizer, and sunroof.

Worked with Ken Barro at Darcars Silver Spring, MD. Used the Costco Price ($500 over invoice) as a negotiation tool.

Took a trip to and averaged 25 mpg on the highway according to the car's trip computer. City mileage has been closer to 17 mpg.

It drives well....good power, quiet, bluetooth works well, and roomy. This is our first 4x4. We like the car.

Leo
  • Options
    acacia379acacia379 Member Posts: 4
    Just starting the process but the 08 HL AWD Limited is what I am leaning toward. Where should I be with value on this vehicle? I have 2 dealers close but dont mind a 50+ mile shopping range. Silver Metallic with No NAV and No Entertainment package. Any help would be appreciated.

Local dealer said they are 8 weeks out on ordering and some are going higher than the MSRP....correct or BS story?

Thanks again!!
  • Options
    cmd224cmd224 Member Posts: 9
    I recently recieved a quote on a 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4x2 V6 and I would like some insight as to whether this is a good deal or not...

MSRP = 33,708
    Giving it to us for 30,891 (500 over what they paid)

If we were to buy: 75 month with 2000 down...$544

If we were to lease: 60 months no money out of pocket $486/month at 12,000 miles/year

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    The HL Sport FWD V6 with what options?

Also, would they allow you to buy it straight out for $30,891, or is that the "price" they're giving you for financing, where your true price would actually be (75 X $544) + $2000 = $42,800?
  • Options
    pdkmdpdkmd Member Posts: 1
    Live in NW Connecticut - Greentree and Litchfield Toyota nearby - looking for a 2008 sport with sunroof and Nav..........anyone have idea of good price and where to get it???? THANKS
  • Options
    cmd224cmd224 Member Posts: 9
    It's a HL Sport FWD V6 with cloth interior, sunroof, backup mirror, 6 disc changer...It's MSRP is $33,708 .

They would be selling it to me for $30,891, which they say is only $500 over invoice. So that would be the true price + 2000 down.

I just think that is so high and i also think that they lease really bad. 60 months no money out of pocket $486/month at 12,000 miles/year??? I have never leased a vehicle for 60 months...That's the only way I can get the payments in the 400's, too.
  • Options
    "It's a HL Sport FWD V6 with cloth interior, sunroof, backup mirror, 6 disc changer...It's MSRP is $33,708."

If sunroof and 6-disc changer are the only added options (backup mirror is standard in the Sport), then the MSRP should be $32,115 and the invoice price $28,493.

I agree that the lease terms are not very good.
  • Options
    lvdrumnlvdrumn Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone..

Big fan of these forums, but first post.

I've been noticing that many are paying very close to MSRP for the Highlander, and it may have to do with limited supply or lower demand than expected. No doubt about it, it's an excellent SUV. I've seen many, and this one has it all, plus the fit and finish. But, I live in Southern CA and I've only seen 1 on the road. Just thought that was strange....and the 2 dealers I visited to see the car in person didn't have many on the lot...maybe 2-3 at most.

Are you all seeing the same thing in your area?

Cheers

Stephan
  • Options
    microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    LVdrumn,

The dealers in NorCal I have talked to are wanting pretty close to MSRP (and Edmunds says people are paying close to MSRP). I have not seen many on the road--I think 2 since its debut. I wonder if California has a relatively lower supply/higher demand (what drives up prices) than other parts of country, as a number of posters on this forum are paying not much over invoice.
  • Options
    lvdrumnlvdrumn Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the reply...

i think you're right, as the dealers i visited expressed their getting very close to MSRP. so maybe CA is a different beast

i think i'll wait a few months so there's more negotiating room
  • Options
    Looks like CA has best deals in country for Camry and worst for HL... Try out of state dealers to get better pricing.
  • Options
    bigausbigaus Member Posts: 8
    For those interested from California, I received a quote for $31,270 (MSRP $33,970) for a Highlander Sport 4x4 with moonroof, JBL, tow, homelink, cold weather, and 50 state emissions in LA.

Michael Toyota, Fresno also offered $1000 over invoice for a similar vehicle (slightly different options though).

Few questions:
    Does anybody know the invoice on this vehicle (Edmunds says $30,092)?
    Is this a good price for California...will they come down soon?
    Can a car from out of state be registered with DMV in California?

Thanks.
  • Options
    advisor2advisor2 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a SUV from Toyota Westport. They promised me SUV in 2 weeks and it took them four weeks. Sales team is so bad that they even do not know their product. After getting your signature and deposit they do not even called me back with the update. The day i picked up the car they do not even bother to show me around the car. They just gave me key and told me my SUV is in parking lot. !!!!!NO RESPECT FOR CUSTOMER. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. HORRIBLE SERVICE AND COMMUNICATION!!!!!!