Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• gqfrommarsgqfrommars Member Posts: 16
    1) I was wondering if any owners out there can tell me how good the audio-system in on the RSX-automatic.

2) Any owners go snowboarding? Can you please let me know if it will fit a 166cm board with the back seat folded down?

Thanks in advance.
  • d5tanleyd5tanley Member Posts: 16
    the audio system is pretty nice, but the subwoofer doesn't offer much bass.

there is considerable road and engine noise inside the car, so i find myself continually turning the volume up, but its almost a losing battle.

as for a snowboard, i'm not sure. you could probably slide the passenger seat all the way forward and fold down the half of the rear seat behind it to make it fit.

ok, i just realized you asked about the utomatic. i have no idea what that sound system is like, i have the s-type.

i'll shut up now.

haha.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I'm only 6' and RSX worked well for me. In your case, it will depend on your body's "height distribution" and how you sit in the car.

I also tried MB C-coupe, and the most comfortable position I found was upright and peeping from the the "sky-roof".
  • l_yao1l_yao1 Member Posts: 15
    I have a S, but my buddy got one Base. It has the Acura premium sound system. But tell you the truth, the quality of the material are really sucks ( compare to those Infinity speakers) And Even the bose on the Type-s is not really good ( just for the Sub) as the guy siad so ( the one just below you). I added 2 Infinity 10' Sub above the factory one. Then it kicks [non-permissible content removed].!!! So if you consider to buy the base model, you should accept the material things ( but in fact its almost has the same sound as those Infinity sale for 125 CA$ in Future shop. So you should get what you pay for that sound. But you really should add some good Sub to go along with it (if you are a really sound funs.) that's what I think of the sound system.

Second, you should be able to put your snowboard in to the trunk with second row down and without the passenger side fold down ( in fact it will not lock if you fall it down).

So above are the answer for your questions, hope it will help!!!

And also the Gas usage for my S, are full tank of gas can run for 470-480km on high-way, and 340-380km in town ( these are just depends on my driving style). So hope can help you too!!!
  • gqfrommarsgqfrommars Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the wonderful info.
    Would you pick the Rsx over the
    Accord coupe V6-EX?
    Just wondering, I am deciding between the two.

Thanks again.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    The RSX Type S and Accord EX V6 coupe are 2 completely different cars. The only this they have in common is that they are both Coupes and are both manufactured by Honda. The RSX is much sportier. The Accord is much roomier and more luxurious.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

If you are looking for a real spots car, then RSX. But if you are just wanna a little sporty look and other than that you just want it to be a seden like car, then Accord. ( interior noises, Accord is better than the RSX.)

Also, RSX is I-4 and Accord is V6. Compare the two engine, one is the newest i-VTEC and another is VTEC. i-VTEC is more fuel efficient and more power oriented engine ( don;t need to mention the V6 is 2 Cylinder more than 4 ^^). So I would choose RSX ( The new model and new design, both interier ( specially those front seats and guages) and exterior are better than the Accord----accord interior are almost the same thing as 92 version). At don't forget, honda people say Acura is the High-end level of the Honda car. Just for the Brand I would choose RSX.

At last, RSX is a hatch-back, you can fall dwon the rear seats for more trunk space like snow board or something, but Accord is real two doors coupe, although its rear seat can be fold dwon but you can't put big largage in it, because its not high enough as the hatch back.

But both are very nice car, hope this help you again lol.
  • bobbyknightbobbyknight Member Posts: 121
    I am looking to purchase either a WRX or RSX. However, I was suprised to find out that insurance was much more every 6/mos than the WRX. I figured it would be vice versa. Compared to the other cars you looked at, how does the insurance premiums compare for the RSX? Thanks
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Maybe they think RSXs are more likely to be stolen than WRXs?
    Based upon the record of the integra which it replaces...highly stolen!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jfunkjfunk Member Posts: 25
    I agree with the higher theft = higher premiums for the RSX. At least they put five lug nuts on the(RSX) wheels now so they can't be swapped with the Civics, may be a small deterrent.
  • msgsmsgs Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning to get my first car.
    Choice 1) Honda Civic SI Hatchback, with (ABS, Moonroof, Cruise Control, Alloy Rims)
    Choice 2) Basic RSX (no alloy rims, no spoiler, moonroof ABS). $1000 cheaper than Civic SI Hatch.
    Choice 3) RSX Premium with (ABS, alloy rims, moonroof, leather seats, everything Civic Si got)
    But $2000 more expensive than Civic SI.
    Choice 4) Mazda 6 sedan hatchback, similar to RSX premium pricing and features.
    I'm stuck, which car should I pick ??
    RSX in America has standard power moonroof, ABS, and alloys. Yeow, Canadians get it bad.

Acura RSX or Mazda 6? Well, do you want coupe or sedan styling... which is more important?
  • heatmiser1heatmiser1 Member Posts: 122
    Just checked out both the RSX and Civic SI yesterday. Definitely get the RSX over the Civic Si! Not only does the exterior of the RSX look more sporty, the interior/driver seat/front passenger seats/stick shift/carpet in the Civic SI leave a lot to be desired...
  • msgsmsgs Member Posts: 2
    RSX Basic seems a bit lacking, no ABS, moon roof, alloy rims.....
    But RSX Premium is like $3000 more than RSX base / Civic SIR. (approx $1000 for Roof, $800 for rims and $800 for ABS, 6 speakers, leather seats and bigger wheels)
    Is RSX Premium a better deal? But it will be $3000 more than Civic SIR for the same features.
    I wish the RSX Base can let me add some of these options individually.

Headache.....Headache......
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    If you are someone who doesn't drive a car forever, consider resale values. The stripper RSX saves you $$ up front, but might not be a sought-after model on the used market (steel rims and no ABS -- no thanks). The Premium RSX will probably be more attractive to a used-car buyer, but you might have a tough time getting back a meaningful percentage of the purchase price difference between the two.

The clear winner in resale, however, will undoubtedly be the Si, based upon its limited availabilty and eternal appeal (there are ALWAYS people looking for used Civic hatchbacks).

Given the options you're considering, I'd go with the Si. You certainly won't see too many on the road!
    Go with the Civic Si. Especially if Honda decides to pull the Si out of its lineup again for some reason...the Civic will be more sought after.

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    OTOH, there are rumors that Honda may bring over the CTR or a more powerful Si. Obviously, we cannot be certain, but this would shink the value of the current Si.
  • greenguygreenguy Member Posts: 78
    I just recieved quotes from my agent on the RSX-S, WRX and the GTI 1.8T. I am 29, male married and a clean driving record and live in the Phx. metro area. quotes are for 100/300 with a 250 deduct. these are per month.
    RSX-S $110
    GTI 1.8T $115
    WRX $115
    There is not much difference between the cars at all.
    I've read on some other message boards that the i-vtech engine in the 6-speed needs to warm up for a bit before you get peak performance. Does anyone have any information on this?
    That's true of any engine. Are you sure they wern't talking about breaking the engine in?
    I wouldn't do any sort of performance oriented driving when the car is cold. Wait for it to warm up, especially a car like the RSX that you have to rev.

They just said something about not having i-vtech until the engine was warm.

I have noticed that when i first start the car, the idle is up around 2k, but after a while it drops below 1k.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    2 krpm seems like a high initial idle. When I turn on my Integra, it starts idling around 1200 rpm, and within minutes, drops to under 1 krpm.
  • deaconjonesdeaconjones Member Posts: 7
    Went on a test drive in one of these last night. Found myself giggling and grinning, as was the salesman.

I really never should have driven this thing--it was so much fun that all the cars I get "serious" about will be a let down from here on out.

I've seen the looks slammed by some people, but I really think it looks nice--but then I don't care for something like the Celica GTS's racer boy high school looks, personally.

In double checking our finances however, this car may be a touch out of range, and the only dealer in town (David McDavid Austin) is a real tough one. Salesguy made it clear that they don't negotiate much at all off the sticker--his quote "those who want this car will pay for it." On top of that, they add window etching and wheel locks whether you want 'em or not...'we do it to all our cars.'

So, is there anything even remotely comparable to this that's under 21k? I know the answer is no, but if anyone knew....

Oh, and how much would think you would pay for a used one, say a year from now? I could maybe wait....
  • deaconjonesdeaconjones Member Posts: 7
    sorry, I forgot to add that I'm 6 '5, and I fit in it just fine. It felt good, and visibility was good. And I must be getting older when I say I appreciated the manual lumbar support.

So, if its in your range, I DEFINITELY recommend test driving one, but be warned--you'll fall in love with it.

Oh, and David McDavid only has some white ones and a Desert silver. They said you'll pay them if you want one shipped to them in another color. And they said there are no special financing rates at all.
    Yep, all the car need to warm up in order to get peak power, especially VTEC engine.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    On the regular VTEC engines, VTEC cam phasing won't kick in unless engine temperature and oil pressure are at certain levels. This means that if you cold start the car and rev it right up to 7k rpm, you won't feel that VTEC switch. I'm guessing that likewise the new iVTEC system is also disabled until the engine has warmed up.
    Hi everyone!
    I got my RSX-S last winter 31st of Dec. And got what they called Protection package, it includes: Undercoating your car all round for lifetime, and Leather protection for 5 years, and some other protection stuff. But now just one winter, there are alot rust spots on the side of my car ( just little upper of the both side tires). Do i need to compalin this to the dealer or I should repair it by myself, if anyone has the experiences of the dealer protection program, please help me out thanks!!!
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Go to the dealer and complain. I don't know what's going on here but I do know two things:

1. These so-called protection packages have historically made rust worse because they trap moisture between the protective coating and metal; they ought to be banned, as they led to premature rust deaths of many late '80s Hondas.

2. You got a huge no-rust warrantee on your car, as does anyone who buys a new car today. Use it.

Go complain loudly to your dealer.
  • suijuris94suijuris94 Member Posts: 4
    I also fell in love with the RSX-Type S as soon as I drove it. I ordered mine on January 18 and am expecting delivery this week!!! I checked five dealers, and got one to come down $700, but he was about an hour's drive from my house, so I talked my (somewhat more) local dealer into coming down $400 and got the car there. (The local dealer will pick up and deliver my car for maintenance, etc. so I figured the extra $300 would be worth it in convenience.) I can't wait to get my car!!
    Now the RSX-S is like a 350Z wherein the waiting period is measured in months?! Amazing for Acura to be selling the RSXs at or near MSRP after almost 10 months on the market.
  • heatmiser1heatmiser1 Member Posts: 122
    This is classic Acura/Honda manufacturing shortfalls. Same thing happened with MDX, TL-S, Oddessey, and the S2000. This kind of sales strategy gets under my skin to the point I may not ever buy another Acura product again.
    Heatmiser - This isn't so much a sales strategy as it is a reality of the market. Honda/Acura is producing cars that come into high demand, yet they do not have the resources to build as fast as they sell. The past few years have seen a remarkable growth spurt for Honda's product line and the manufacturing and shipping part of the deal are still trying to keep up.
    at both of the dealers that i shopped at, there were plenty on the lot. i got my rsx s-typeb for a few hundred under invoice.
  • dkneedsnwcrdkneedsnwcr Member Posts: 35
    All the dealers up here have them. Lots are littered with them. Don't see too many on the road though. Although I'm sure they're there.
    Detroit area dealers are selling the RSXs fast. Very nice to see one blasting down a street in blue.
    ... then why do I hardly see them in my area (South Jersey, close to Philly)? I see plenty of other new and easily-identifiable cars (new Altima, PT Cruiser, and even that unsightly Aztek).
    You probably are seeing them, but are confusing them with Civics, Insights or Cavaliers. (nudge-wink)
  • swinga7swinga7 Member Posts: 45
    they're everywhere in Mass too. see em all the time. Its a great looking car i wish i had 24 grand i would buy one.

honda had a good strategy when designing the rsx. keep it sporty yet not overly sporty. give it a little luxury and a smooth quick ivtec engine (smooth compared to high revving vtec). the rsx doesn't seem to be geared toward any demographic its one of those can be driven by anyone type of cars.
    In not being geared towards any particular demographic, the RSX is lacking in focus and has lost some of the verve of the Integra. It has also lost me as an Acura buyer.

I would be able to excuse the RSX's road noise if it were wearing performance tires, and would put up with the K-Mart front suspension if a LSD were standard equipment. But, given the fact that the RSX rides on a platform that was engineered as a "squeeze every penny" alternative to the previous one, while at the same time charging the buyer for no-option climate control, it isn't difficult to see the strategy Honda/Acura is employing -- "Give 'em less, but convince 'em it's more!"

Sorry, but in my book, less is always less. And yes, I would have gladly paid $2000-3000 more for a control arm suspension, properly-sized brakes, and a LSD from the factory.

The RSX is the automotive equivalent of "Star Wars-Episode I"-- incredible anticipation and hype, followed by a major letdown. In both cases, the fans deserved far better than what they were offered.
  • jfunkjfunk Member Posts: 25
    Good grief, whatever your "personal" hang-ups with the RSX are yours alone, many people are quiet satisfied with theirs.

What would you have the car do, perform miracles for $23,500??? It DOES better the car it is replacing (GSR) in every statistical category, even besting the former Integra-R in 0-60 & 1/4 mile according to C&D.

Nextly, what Honda/Acura isn't under-tired in its stock form? (save the NSX)

According to Acura, they had a very specific demographic in mind for the car- a median age of 28, affluent male with an income of $60,000.
    I don't happen to agree with this, but they did target a specific market.

Well, it looks like you'll get your chance to spend the $2-3K for your, "K-mart" suspension and LSD when the RSX-R comes over, will you pony up and walk the walk, or just continue to mock?

Putting it in perspective the RSX is a pretty good car, while not perfect. It may not be what you would have wanted, but most people will be happy with it.

Lastly, yes Star Wars Episode 1, was a wash- dazzling effects-zero content and character development.
  • bobbyknightbobbyknight Member Posts: 121
    So BMW's and Porsche's have K-Mart suspensions?

So if you drove an RSX without knowing it had struts would you know the difference? NO!!
    The only reasonable criticism I've read is that the rear double-bones are stinky. The front struts work just fine.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...that the RSX had a 4-door. Unless the new Accord that comes out in the fall is as driver-oriented like the RSX, I think Honda made a mistake in killing the idea of a Sedan derivative.
    Around here, Integras are 65% coupe and 35% sedan, thereabouts.
  • tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    It is the first 2 door fun to drive sports car that I have EVER fit into. I am 6' 3" and have a very long torso. I can't wait to get my cash together and trade in my Accord. It may not be perfect but I believe it to be a quality made affordable car that will be fun to drive and that is all that I have been looking for over 30 years.
    I've read a few posts stating that the rsx type r is coming next year. Is that truth or rumor?
    I have heard it in so many resources, I think it would be near-truth. Cool!
  • chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    I doubt we will know if it is coming until soon before it does because Acura will not want to give the competition a heads-up that they have a serious competitor in store for them until as late as possible.
This discussion has been closed.