Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• g8trdaveg8trdave Member Posts: 5
    What does everyone feel about adding a spoiler to the RSX? I thought it was wierd that a spolier didn't come standard with the type-s. Everything else comes standard-leather,abs brakes, all airbags, 16" alloy rims, sunroof, 6 disc cd changer, etc. I think it was standard on the Integra GSR. I'm not sure what Acura was trying to accomplish with the styling. Do they think it looks better without one? Or were they just trying to cut it's price? Are they looking for a nice clean look. It definetly looks clean, but some think it looks a little bland. I've seen pictures of the car with the spoiler. I can't decide what I like better. Since I'm not sure, my feeling is why spend more money on something that if it were free, I'm not sure I'd choose to add it. Some cars look bad with spoilers like civics and sentras-basically cars that aren't really sports cars. Some cars look bad without them. Has anyone seen the new model eclipse without one?-It looks horrible-like something is missing. The RSX is a sports car unlike the civic, but the styling is conservative, so does a spoiler give it a styling boost or mess up the clean look?
  • 64626462 Member Posts: 14
    I think it's like $600 or something and it doesn't even have a brake activated light on it. For $600 I'd much rather get some better looking rims or snow tires.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    $800 option on the "dceased Integra"? First of all the spoiler was always STANDARD on the Integra GSR. 2nd, my brother had a '95 LS and paid $650 for the spoiler. Whether it was $800 or not I don't know, but option equipment is always negotiable.
    g8trdave: I bet in another year or 2 they 'll include a standard rear spoiler on the RSX-S. I could be wrong, but looking at the Integra 's history, they added leather in '98 because sales had started to go down and the price only went up about $100 as it did every year before that. They also added ABS as standard equipment as well as 15" alloys in LS/GS in '98 to boost sales with no significant sticker increases ($100). Wheel size prior to '98 were 14" steel ones (except GSR)!! In '99 the rear sway bar in the LS/GS models went up from 13mm to 14mm (same as GSR's). In '00 all Integras came with no distributor and did not require tune ups for 100k mi. Oh, and in '98 again CD player became standard in all models as it was an option even in the GSR before that. In '96 all Integras came with All Season High Performance tires where '94-95 models came with just high performance (not to be confused with ZR/WR ultra performance) ones and you got killed with a slight snow dusting or a little sleet or freezing rain (they were terrible even in the rain). In '01 GSRs came with Type-R intake manifold and header & exhaust were changed considerably and was not interchangeable with older GSR models. And this was the last year in production!
    So you see they added a considerable amount of options as standard equipment throughout the years. Acura has been known to make upgrades and improvements in the middle of a production cycle. For example in '92, in the middle of the g2 Integra cycle, the 1st GSR came out with 160hp 1.7L VTEC motor. In '93 they started shipping regular Integras with 140hp engines where the 3 previous years HP was at 130. Honda has done similar things to Civics & Accords. So who knows, the spoiler may become standard in the Type-S when the sales #s start dropping a little and I estimate that will happen with '03 models. If not a spoiler then I guarantee you it 'll be something else like better tires, wheels, center arm rest, etc.
    Also don't forget to go to the Acura web page and send them an e-mail with your complaints, dislikes, etc. The Acura division in the US has some saying into what North Americans want, which is why JDM models are slightly different than USDM ones.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • levislejlevislej Member Posts: 2
    will be in the market next year.
  • g8trdaveg8trdave Member Posts: 5
    only1harry: I have to agree with you. I also believe they will make some adjustments sometimes with little increase in price to boost sales if necessary. I don't really have a beef that the spoiler doesn't come standard. It doesn't make any difference if they cut the price on the car by let's say $400 and make the spoiler optional vs. raise it by $400 and call it standard. All things being equal (from the buyer's standpoint) I suppose it is better to buy the car stripped and price each option seperately so you pay for only what you want. The only real problem with options is that they are ususally overpriced because they have to be installed after the fact and the dealer is looking to make some more money on it. I have no problem paying for the spoiler, but does the car look better with it? I think the Celicas come with spoilers-maybe just the GT's, but if you have every seen one without one, it looks wierd. The rear of the RSX has a little lip on the trunk which looks good, but would a spoiler make it look better? I'm not the boy racer type to add a full spoiler kit, lower springs, big rims, etc, but I wouldn't mind a little sharper look.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant that the spoiler was an MSRP $800 option (if memory serves me right) for the 1999 Acura Integra LS/GS. I know this b/c I leased such a car. However, the salesman only made me pay for half of it since he said the spoiler would increase the vehicle's residual value by $400.

As a side note, I was upset that the Integra didn't have a tape player included. I inquired and the salesman told me Acura can install a combo CD/tape player stereo for a "mere" $600 upgrade. As Stone Cold Steve Austin asks so eloquently, "WHAT?!?!" Alas, it would have added $0 to the car's residual, according to the dealership. So I cut the training wheels and have been sans audio cassettes thereafter :)
  • ticktock4321ticktock4321 Member Posts: 41
    Saw one today, base RSX. Looks ok I suppose but the rear deck is so short that something seems out of proportion.
  • donmauriciodonmauricio Member Posts: 6
    I was looking at some pictures on the net and I think that if you get the body kit (the one you can get through the dealership) but can buy aftermarket to makes the RSX look pretty good.
    Also if you DO not get a spolier the over all look is sporty, and sophisticated at the same time.
    What do you guys think?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    And man! These things are starting to pop up everywhere (NJ).
  • suijuris94suijuris94 Member Posts: 4
    I'm awaiting delivery of my Acura RSX-TypeS, which is supposed to arrive in April. I didn't look at any cars that weren't Hondas or Acuras before buying, but I had looked at Toyotas and one of the American cars . . . can't remember which one since they are all seem to be of the same poor quality to me.
  • asilch02asilch02 Member Posts: 7
    I am interested in a rsx-s and I wanted to see how much people have been paying after tax, tags, freight, etc.(Plus a spoiler!) I have asked the dealer and have yet to get a straight answer. Thank you!
  • rsxabcrsxabc Member Posts: 2
    who says there's no market for a 4-door rsx. around where i live in san francisco, i see about as many 4 door integras as coupes if not more of the sedans.

personally, i feel the affordable compact, sports sedan market is way underserved. civic, sentra, etc are a little on the bland side and don't offer enough performance. is300 and 325i are a bit on the expensive side and i'm not big on any of the american makes. the new matrix isn't bad, but i'd much prefer a 4-door rsx if and when they make one.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I miss my 4-door Integra which I had to part with some years ago. I agree, the RSX should come in sedan form for those of us who want a little excitement in our daily commute but require 4 doors and Japanese build quality.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Try the WRX. It may be ugly, but it comes as both a four door sedan and as a wagon.

There's a market for every car, but I have doubts that there are enough four door fans to make it profitable.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    rumor has it that a sedan will be placed between the RSX and the TL. It will be based on the Accord. If the information is correct then this could be a good 4-door replacement for the Integra.

WRX is ugly and the dealer service is probably no where near that of an Acura dealer.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Wouldn't that be redundant?

True, I forgot about the WRX. That is a good alternative and is in the same price range. However, the interior is not as pretty as the RSX. I guess that's a small penalty for a rally-bred car. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    I think that the next TL would be based on the new RL platform... so I gather.
    But yes, the next TL will be based off the next RL, rather than the Accord. Basically a shortened wheelbase RL. Expect RL to grow in size ( similar to or bigger than Toyota Avalon/Chevy Impala) and in power. Still no confirmation as to whether it will strictly be V-8 or have a standard V-6 with upgradable V-8.
  • jwacurajwacura Member Posts: 16
    FWIW: The reason I was told by the Honda/Acura people is that Honda decided to reduce their offerings that cannibalized similiar offerings. For Honda's part, they would stop producing the Prelude in order to move people over (up?) to the then new RSX. So, no more Prelude. 2 door, sporty, etc. For Acura's part, the RSX would not offer 4 doors in an attempt to move people over the the 4 door accord.

I can't verify it, but it seemed to make sense.
    IMHO: The reason for not adding the spoiler is two fold: 1)to allow people the option of adding or not adding the spoiler without having to wait weeks for the exact car configuration (color, etc.) from the factory or locating a dealer that has it. If desired, it's a 1-2 day wait at the dealer. And 2)I know this may shock some people, but it's an additional revenue source for the dealer.

But that's only my 2¢ worth.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    There wouldn't be a color/configuration issue if the spoiler were standard on the RSX-S, as it was on the GS-R.

At any rate, a spoiler on the RSX ranks right up there on the "useful meter" alongside lighted windshield jets, coffee can tailpipes, and Altezza-style lenses. I didn't like the one my GS-R had, and didn't buy one for my 'Lude. I mean, really! When you see a Chevy Malibu with a spoiler, who exactly are you trying to impress?
    The Malibu and RSX are two diametrically opposite cars. True, the RSX isn't as "sporty looking" as its competition (Eclipse, Celica, '03 Tiburon, etc.), but it would still benefit from having a spoiler, especially a high (but not obnoxiously high) spoiler, as that found in the '03 Tiburon GT with an UltraSports Package and the mid-/late-'90s Eclipse GS-T. Too bad the RSX's optional spoiler no longer has the integrated tail light, as the Integra did. The Malibu, Camry, previous-generation Altima, and other conservatively-styled sedans look like a bad joke when equipped with the rear wing.
    People buy a spoiler for their Malibus for the same reason people buy 'em for their RSXs: they think it makes the car more "sporty."

We're obviosly debating opinions here. The point is, the car doesn't need a spoiler, other than to try and look less like a Civic coupe.

Functionally, it accomplishes nothing other than adding weight (I thought the point of looking fast was being fast). If you're looking for more performance from your RSX for the same $$ as the spoiler, chuck the stock rubber and buy some Dunlop SP5000 tires.
    Thanks, Himiler for adding to my theory. It seems from what you're saying, that if you had your druthers you'd rather not have the spoiler. And of course, others prefer to have it. Soooo.. The decision is left to the owner, just like it should be. We don't need no stinkin' spoilers!!
    I meant to say "too bad the RSX's optional spoiler no longer has the integrated brake light" (not taillight). I realize the spoiler adds nothing functionally (unless you plan on going 300 mph where lift becomes a problem). A spoiler doesn't weigh much, does it? It's just a light piece of plastic, maybe 20-30 lbs. max. Fancy alloy wheels add more weight, as does a moonroof. You are right that spoilers are purely preferences; some think certain cars look good with them, others think they just add weight and degrade acceleration.
  • rsxabcrsxabc Member Posts: 2
    'Cannibalize similar offerings?'
    I really don't see what similar offerings honda/acura has that would compete with a 4-door rsx. I'm definitely not buying a 4-door accord. The accord is too big, not sporty enough, and not a car you can buy with a 5speed unless you're willing to hurt resale value. And if the rsx sedan does take away from the civic sedan (which i don't think it would), wouldn't that be a good thing since the rsx costs more?
    Um, no. "fancy alloy wheels" actually represent a significant weight reduction over steel rims, that's why GOOD "fancy alloy wheels" tend to be lightweight and pretty expensive. Reducing unsprung weight always benefits ride and handling.

And, no. I don't think that spoilers add weight, I know that they do.

P.S.--If I could have bought my (non-spoilered) Prelude without a moonroof, I would have.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    IMO, Acura should offer a sub-25K compact sedan, probably with a small V6. And it might be one of those models that can help Acura grow later, but for now, they need to concentrate on their $35-50K offerings.
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    The sunroof has been standard on Preludes since at least 1983. I remember the advertisments talking about it.

Also I require a sunroof on any car I own. I just gotta have one. On the moonroof issue I think those that don't want one are in a small minority. Especially on sporty cars.
    I meant wheels with rims are pretty heavy when compared to lighter (and smaller) wheels with plastic hubcaps. Of course the larger wheels with rims look much better.

Too bad Acura forcefeeds customers moonroofs with the RSX. One reason why the late Integra Type R does not offer a sunroof/moonroof is because of the added weight, but the ITR is very performance-oriented; not meant for the masses. I heard that Acura even made air-conditioning as an option in the ITR.
    Cars like the RSX are sold with moonroofs because I'm sure over 90% of them would be ordered with one anyway. The roof is optional on Lexus models but how often do you see one without one. And the resale on a Lexus without a roof is laughable. The ITR was a purpose built race car. The RSX in its current form is a sporty coupe and 90% or more of the people that buy one will want a roof opening.
    As we have seen Honda seems to now be going after the highest percentile buyer. MOST people that buy new Civics don't take it immediately to the tuner shop so the strut up front won't even matter. And MOST RSX buyers want a roof. It goes along with the "no options" line that all other Hondas have.
    Honda's type-r models do not come with a/c. It is either an option or a no-cost option (i.e. get it or don't). They have almost no sound deadening, and weight savings almost anywhere possible (a reason why a/c equipped new ITR is about 170 lb. lighter than the RSX-S).

Acura is not mass marketing RSX as it did with Integra a few years ago. Some people may want moon roof but no leather, leather but no moon roof, leather and moon roof; a choice of 5-speed manual, 5-speed automatic or 6-speed manual (Type-S) to go with all of the above options. Too many possible combinations applied over a targeted sales of only 25K cars per year.

As for weight added by heavier wheels versus moon roof, one of them adds to the unsprung weight. And for improved performance, it would be desirable to have a lower unsprung weight. New ITR uses 17" rims (tires: P215/45/R17) but they may be lighter than the 16" (tires: P215/55/R16) used in RSX.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Got any insights to offer on the Mini Cooper vs. Hyundai Tiburon vs. Acura RSX? Please join us in this new discussion. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    Does anyone know the inside scoop on what Acura is changing (if anything) to the 2003 version of the RSX, and when it will be released? It would be much appreciated!
    Well, I didn't answer my question on what the 2003 Acura RSX will have, but I did a quick search on Google.com and unearthed the following:

http://motioncars.com/autobuzz/articles12/honda_rsx.html

This 4-door (technically 5 if you include the hatchback trunk) RSX resembles a Dodge Stratus sedan.

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Photoshop can do wonderous things.

http://www.vtec.net/news/items/754.html

• blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    i'm posting here for the first time because my friend is looking to get the RSX Type S and he wants it to be able to compete with a WRX. So overall, sorry if these questions have been covered already, but how's the handling? Any torque steer(although I know it doesn't have much torque), how are the brakes and reliabilty? Anyone know what kind of mods can be done to speed it up, and if so, how much could power be boosted? I'm no "ricer" but my friend wants to be ( but at least he would actually make performance mods and not just body mods...no offense to anyone like that)
    Thanks for your help.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    And the doors closed SOLIDLY! The seats were great, and the switchgear and transmission were just as smooth and natural as they could be! Loud around town, but GREAT on the highway! Easy ingress/egress. Needs a BUNCH of modifications: Tint, fog lights, "spirler", and 18" chrome wheels. Ride was firm (similar to the Maxima SE I tested earlier in the day). Probably will end u buying the Vibe 'cus it drives similar, is cheaper, and doesn't need as much cosmetics. And GM is giving the cars away!
    Until I found out it had a axle on the rear of the FWD version and you can't get 4wd with the "good" engine. What were they thinking?
    The "thing" is not perfect, but once you sit inside it (I'm 6'4"), and drive it, and sit in the back seat of it (I fit, with room to spare), you will see that it is an AWESOME value! Skip the AWD and get the GT or base. A supercharger (from GM) is coming later this year. And it seems to be the cheapest car with NAV! Wish Acura would make THAT available on the RSX!
    I have no use for NAV. I'd rather have the IRS.
    Quite a few cheap cars in Japan have NAV available, but it unnecessarily adds 25-30 lb. on a car. And, it doesn't come for free.
    I live in Central Florida, where they just put streets......anywhere, so I need it. It's a lot safer than opening a map at 60MPH!! Pulling over wastes time, makes you late. I'd like my car to TRY to be smarter than me......
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    where you are going before you get on the road though. That's what MapQuest is for. Operating the NAV system while driving isn't the safest thing in the world either and running into the car next to you will definitely take up more time than just stopping.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    If you've ever used a good nav system, you realize that there isn't a more convenient thing in the world. (not that I would be willing to pay for one)

If you program in your destination before you leave, you should never have to look at it while you are driving. (it auto-corrects if you miss a turn or something)
  • lovefastcarslovefastcars Member Posts: 6
    Completely agreed
    I wound't pay much extra for a nav system, but I've tried them out in a few cars and they work really well. I have never really like the idea of having a man that's about 3 foot long 2 foot wide either. Too much of a pain to unfold and find where you are.
    Prints out on regular printer paper. Is always available. Is free. You don't have to buy a $20,000 car to get it.
    If you need NAV they make handhelds now and you can have NAV in all your cars.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Admittedly, Mapquest is a great service, however, NOTHING is better for the lazy driver than a good nav system. I don't have one, but after regularly riding in a few cars with them, I can't believe that I don't.
    Please tell me where I can buy a $20,000 car with a NAV system.
This discussion has been closed.