Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tacoma 4x4 or T100 4x4

ToddpToddp Member Posts: 4
edited February 2014 in Toyota
I currently own a 90 4-runner that i have been
really happy with. but i found out that the
tacoma is built in the U.S. and I am concerned
with american quality. Since all of the G.M.
vehicles I have owned have been lemons(88 4wd
surbaban,87 firebird) The suburban after 1 year
the paint on the roof dissolved. G.M's answer
we are not responsible!!!. Needless Too say after
Litigation They did a half-a-- Job and also stole
my spare and jack. There answer was read the sign
in the shop. We are not responsible for any items
left in the vehicle. I promised that i would walk
before i ever purchased a G.M. vehicle again.
i understand that the T-100 is built in japan and
shipped as a whole unit. any Comments Would be
greatly appreciated. The reason For 4x4 is moving
too the north were i might need the extra
traction.

Thanks
Todd Pierce

Comments

• fredwoodfredwood Member Posts: 79
    Hey Todd,

I purchased a toyota camry for my wife and I made sure that it was made in japan, since some of them were made in the states too. Well, our japan manufactured camry is a piece of crap. While not a full fledged lemon it certainly has not lived up to supposed toyota quality. My chevy truck on the other hand has been awesum. I guess it boils down to expectations.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I don't think it matters where the vehicle is constructed from a quality perspective. The infrastructure of the company will be the same. It's not like the American guy standing on the assembly line in the US will do poorer work than the Japanese guy on the assembly line in Japan will do. The knock against American quality has been the design of the vehicles, not the effort or ethnicity of the worker on the line. It's not that the worker forgot to put that extra bolt on the car. It's that the engineer forgot to create a design that included the bolt.
  • rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    I would go with the tacoma, BRUTUS is right, trust in the toyota engineering and quality control nomatter where the plant is built. I have a 90 4x4 and we bought a sienna thats made at the new plant in Kentucky. Both are good vehicles and I have no complaints. The tacoma will cost about 20k loaded up nicely, 4x4 xcab v6 sr5, a comparable t100 will run close to 26k. Its just not worth it. The t100 going out of production soon and will be replaced by the t150. The tacoma won 4wheelers truck of the year award. You can see the article online at www.fourwheeler.com. Good luck. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, for 26k you can get a loaded F150, although I see youve been ruined by GM, go take a look at the new F150. At least take the time, if you havent already, to check the new ones out. You might like what you see.
    I didn't exactly say to trust Toyota engineering. I was just saying that the quality factor is company based, regardless of where the truck is built. As you know from my other posts, I'm a full size pickup owner. Toyota is not a player in that market, and I doubt they ever will be. But I reserve the right to eat my words.
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    Todd,

You didn't mention how you plan to use the truck and how many people you regularly carry.

Obviously, one consideration is payload. The T-100 is considerably bigger than the Tacoma, but still not a Ford, Dodge or Chevy. A T-150 with a third (and fourth) door might be nice as my kids grow, but for now the Tacoma is plenty enough for a commuter/weekend do-it-yourselfer truck.

Also, a third door is not an option on either Toyota, so you may want to think about that if looking at extended cabs and/or carrying more than you and another person. An extended cab may also be a thought just because of keeping stuff safe and warm especially as you move north.

I have a 98 Tacoma Extra Cab 4x4 with the 4 cylinder and am really pleased. The V6 would be nice, but I can't afford the tickets all the extra horses would surely bring me. Good luck.
    The extra cab is worth every penny. I've owned a regular cab for the last six years. Unless you put a shell on it or Tonneau on it, you have to protect yours stuff from the elements on long trips with tarps. I think you'll find the extra storage in an extended cab to be worth the money even if you don't carry a lot of passengers.
  • 34363436 Member Posts: 25
    TO TODD PIERCE, I HAD A T100 MADE IN JAPAN IT WAS A JUNK THE WHEEL BASE WAS OFF BY 3/8 OFF INCH AND IT HAD A VIBRATION THAT TOYOTA COULD OR WOULD NOT FIX I DID GET MY MONEY BACK IN ARBITRATION SO I WOULD THINK HARD ABOUT BUYING ONE.
  • SycloneSyclone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Toyota extra cab pickup and it has been great for me. Although the four cylinder suffers a lack of horsepower, it lasts forever. I currently have 138,000 trouble free miles. Toyota has earned my trust and respect. Id go for the V6 extra cab Tacoma. It sounds like a great truck.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    As the owner (leaser?) of a loaded 96 Tacoma 4x4 I am no longer impressed with Toyota quality. It goes off lease this December and I can't wait to give it back. Probably going to Ford full size next time. Tacomas are cheaply made expensive pieces of crap.
  • armadilloarmadillo Member Posts: 14
    Hi, rickrover.
    I have a buddy who just put in an order for the new Tacoma TRD 4x4. He test drove one, and seems to think it's pretty neat. He currently leases the same truck you do. I have my misgivings, but I have no experience with this truck. Can you fill me in on the things you don't like about it? Thanks!
  • bobaquinobobaquino Member Posts: 9
    I've got a 97 2WD T100. Can't talk to the 4WD issues, but I think that it is an excellent truck overall. V6 engine is very strong (same one in Tacoma and 4Runner) and ride is very civilized and quiet. Only problem I've seen in 14000 miles is the weatherstrip at top of windshield is loose. Only complaint is that the seat belt doesn't retract fully and gets caught in the door jamb. I can live with that. I'd buy another if the price was right. I like the feeling of quality that this truck gives me.
  • JDIAZJDIAZ Member Posts: 23
    bobaquino.....

I have a 98 T100 4wd and I do too have that same
    problem with that darn seat belt. I suppose since
    mine is still under warranty I should have then
    take a look at it....As far as the ride..I'm very
    satisfied.

jd
    hey armadillo,

I also have the seat belt problem with hanging out the door, not retracting ( the least of the problems) I have had problems with the trasmission (5 speed) whining, the dealer replaced the throw out bearing and it is doing it again. For some reason the horn has had problems working (problem is always in the steering wheel) and some suspension bushings have been replaced to quiet a loud clunking noise. The engine check light comes on now and then and sometimes has a slightly rough idle (they have not figured that out). The center console has broken loose a couple of times. I would think the newer ones have been improved.
    The engine check light and rough idle could be as basic as a loose or damaged hose.

I had a problem with the steering column of a motor home I was driving about 15 years ago. It kept blowing a fuse at night. The fuse was for my headlights, and it only happened when I was driving. Turns out that the way I liked to adjust the tilt steering wheel somehow managed to pinch a wire and blow the fuse.
  • eolaeola Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Tacoma extended cab. The ride is horrible and always has been. Worse yet, the head gasket had to be replaced at under 30,000 miles. This had been a problem in older trucks and toyota was repairing it no matter how old the truck was, but now they consider that there is no longer a problem with head gaskets, and once I have over 60,000 miles, they won't stand behind it. (This problem usually requires a new engine and is a $6,000 repair).
    I'll tell you what the head gasket problem is, the head bolts should have the torque checked every 50 to 60k miles. I did't think Toyota still had that problem. I'm glad I just leased mine, it goes back this December good riddance - what a cheaply made piece of crap. Toyota had better wake up.
  • barbellbarbell Member Posts: 15
    I have an '89 4x4 Xcab V6 5 speed with over 140k. I have never done anything but routine maintenence to it. Uses no oil between changes. I tow a large (for the Toyota) two-axle enclosed trailer with motorcycles, etc, in it. Into a headwind or in the mountains, I have driven many a mile in 3rd gear above 4000 rpm. If Toyota made something comparable to the Dodge in cab comfort and power, I would consider nothing else. I abuse the hell out of this truck but I also take care of it. 3000 miles between oil changes; always keep all the points greased and the transmission, transfer case and the diffs topped off. It is not comfortable for long (500+ per day) trips, and it is grossly underpowered. If Toyota ever corrects those two problems, the other brands would not have a chance. However, I am ready to order a Qcab diesel as soon as the six-speed is available.
  • meridianmeridian Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to decide between buying a Tacoma [97 or 98] or wheather to get a Dodge product.
    It will be used for highway driving and some lihgt construction work.I'd like to get something that will be good for years. What is your advise anyone?
  • jholcjholc Member Posts: 25
    I have a 97 Tacoma Extra Cab V6 that I am really happy with. I spent some time in Canyonlands NP in Utah last Sept and it performed flawlessly on the 4x4 trails. There were many times a trail was so steep or rocky that I would have turned around had I been able too but once commited I put it in 4-low and was amazed at the ease with which it crawled up, down and over things. I can also get up to 24 mpg on the hwy with tailgate up and averaging 70mph!
  • smismi Member Posts: 13
    jholc,
    Auto or 5sp?
    5 speed. I would not want an automatic on those trails.
    smi,

I have a 98 Tacoma Extra Cab 4x4, 4 cylinder, 5 speed and am really pleased. I also get around 25 mpg at 70 mph on the highway and 20-22 mpg in a city/highway mix.

The 98's add dual airbags with side passenger cutoff switch and side-impact door beams. Other than that, I think the different year models are virtually the same.
  • pschiesspschiess Member Posts: 3
    I have a "95 T-100 extended cab SR-5 that has an Automatic. it has been a good vehicle but not what i expected from a Toyota. Every time I back my "jet skis" into the lake and let the truck sit in my garage for more than 24 hours the rear brakes rust to the drums and they need to be replaced. Dealer does it under warranty and says I abuse the truck. I only have 16,000 miles on it and it is in perfect condition. Anyone else have this type of problem? Any suggestions?
  • MotormouthMotormouth Member Posts: 99
    My guess is that it's not all that far from the place where you launch your jetski to your garage. The brakes, therefore, aren't getting a chance to dry out.

Perhaps if you take a drive out onto a freeway for a bit of highway speed to blow-dry the brakes.

Another recommendation: Don't be so quick to put your truck back into the garage when you know the brakes are wet from launching.

Either that, or get a trailer...
    Maybe Toyota trucks are not suppose to get wet.
  • ChrisLyChrisLy Member Posts: 3
    You really shouldn't even get it wet when you're launching.

Chris
    Interesting comments regarding the wet & rusted brakes on my T-100 but in reply yes I have a trailer and there is no way to launch the jet skiis without at least some splash coming up on the wheels. Same thing happens in wet weather. I happened to have the original brochure from when i bought the truck and it shows it getting wet. I don't think I should have to go drive around to dry out the brakes on the truck when i have never had to on a Ford or Chevy. The arbitrator agreed. I was just curious if any other Toy truck owner has had the same problem. The brake shoes always look like new so i am guessing it is the brake drums.
  • the_zodiacthe_zodiac Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Toyota 4x2, with the 22RE 2.4L 4cyl 5speed, and have had no problems with it.

I've owned other brands of vehicle - a 1971 Dodge Demon, a 1989 Dodge D50, a 1990 Chrysler LeBaron, a 1989 Nissan Sentra, and a 1995 Kia Sportage 4x4 - and I will probably never buy another brand of vehicle.

I've abused my Toyota, and aside from a little shaking at 90mph, it still takes it. Other than regular maintenance, its never been in the shop for repairs. IMHO, Toyota is the best manufacturer out there.

My only regret is not getting a 4x4 when my wife suggested it.

Just my $.02
  • airdamairdam Member Posts: 3
    I had a 95 T-100 SR5 4WD with everything. Loved it . Bought it new in Feb 96 - got a great deal- but ended trading it in in Nov 97. It was a great truck, very high quality, and no problems. The biggest reason for letting it go was that like all Toyota trucks, it had a terrible ride quality on the freeway. It just bumps you around to death.I even changed the shocks to softer aftermarkets. The ride just got worse. Couldn't take it anymore so I traded it in before I lost too much more value. Wish Toyota would build trucks that rode like their Sienas or Avalons. Then at least I could drive it to Tahoe without getting beat up.
    Where did you trade in your T-100? How much did they give you for it? How many miles on it? I agree the ride is too harsh. I blame it on the overly strong rear leaf springs. They make it so the marketing people can tell the world the truck can haul like a domestic.
    pschiess:
    Do you have a T-100?
    pschiess:
    oops! I just read above and see that you do. Was the ride quality realy that bad?
  • zatar02zatar02 Member Posts: 2
    I have only put 1500mi on my 98 Tacoma Limited V6,
    evergreen, alloy wheels, 265 tires, ABS, Cruise, Sport Seats, Xcab, 5 speed. It's the funnest vehicle I've ever owned. I really love it. I will keep this board posted as time goes on in owning this great ride. I'm only getting 21 mpg on the Hwy. Also this is my first truck to own and I've been driving an automatic for the past 10 years. It bothers me that I can't seem to find the perfect shift that has the gear box and engine at near the same rpm. Also any advice from other Tacoma owners on how to care for this vehicle or what to watch out for, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    I have owned (leased) a '97 Tacoma 4x4 LX extra cab for a year now(20K later) and I love it! I could only afford the 5-speed, 4 cylinder, but have no regrets. The engine has an impressive amount of power for a four, it often spins the rear wheel when accelerating. The only problem was a faulty speedometer cable that the dealer replaced without question. About the ride complaints (maybe that was just T100's), I used to own a Suzuki Samarai and my Tacoma feels like a limo compared to the Suzuki. I think it is the most car-like truck I've ever driven. I'm looking foward to turning it back in for a new one in 2000!
  • sato8sato8 Member Posts: 7
    I have a Dodge ram 1500 quad 4x4 and two of my closest friends have tacomas one with a 97 the other a 98. both of them were trying to convince me to buy a tacoma or t-100 4x4.But being stubborn and a believer in american trucks,I opted for the dodge and have no regrets. now both my friends want to purchase anew dodge the one with the 97 tacoma just traded his in for a ram 1500. the other friend wants to do the same but cannot afford the lost both consider toyota quality has gone down. my sister has a 90 4 runner and think its a piece of underpower junk (v6) she bought it new..

just my 2 cents
  • sunsetsunset Member Posts: 3
    Will Toyota come out with a 3 or 4 door Extended cab Tacoma or T100 in 99????????
    Sunset:

The new Toyota T-150 will have four doors on the extended cab. See the T-150 topic.
  • tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    I am considering the purchase of a regular cab Tacoma 4x4. I was surprised to see that it is not offered with the 3.4 V6. I'm sure that it was offered at one time but for some reason it is currently not. I will probably wait for the '99.
    The dealer said that they will not be out until the end of the calendar year. I know the domestic '99's are coming out, with most available within the month. Does anyone know if it's true about the late arrival of the '99 Toyota trucks or is it like I suspect that he is only pushing me to buy a '98.
  • zatar02zatar02 Member Posts: 2
    As promised here's another post: still early, only aprox 2.5k now, but the truck is still fun. I waded into a mt stream with it to collect some creek rocks. I tell you that truck is gutsy. It pushed itself up the bank and unto the road, dripping water, like a bear. You've gota love that V6 power. By the way, pack your gear and come to NC and hike. Its awesome. Tacoma 4x4 Limited 98. Later.
  • roymroym Member Posts: 8
    not too many positive remarks about the t-100. i just bought one and i want to think that i did the right thing. i now own a '96 4x4 t-100 with 24,500miles. anyone out there have positive remarks re: the t-100???
  • dyoderdyoder Member Posts: 1
    I've got a '96 t-100 4X4 and absolutely love it. I've talked to several similar owners when I run into them and every owner has loved this truck. I'd turn around and buy another.
    thx dyoder for the words of encouragement on your t-100. what year and mileage is your truck?? i've had mind about two weeks now and each day i feel more and more exhilirated about this being the perfect truck for me and my family (size, power, etc).
    anyone out there have any problems with a high-pitched whine when accelerating their t-100. i've noticed a whine and someone from an archived topic said that they dealer told them that it was caused by the airbox and was inherent to the t-100 and shouldn't be a problem. just curious if anyone else out there is noticing the same problem and, if so, is it affecting the operation of your truck or is it just a mild nuisance that you can live with. i've had my t-100 for two weeks now and love it except for that sound.
  • oscar21oscar21 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone, i am ready to buy a tacoma 4wd.
    the only concern i have is the 3.4l v-6 and its history of blowing head gaskets. i am told by toyota reps that it has been rectified, but have heard of a '97 4runner blowing its gasket. i know of the great powertrain warranty, but am still worried about it. any v-6 owners have any trouble? any reason not to get tacoma???
    i appreciate your input.
    I love my 97 Tacoma 4x4 V6 but the dealer did discover the headgasket problem when I took it in for the 15,000 mile service. They fixed it under warranty. I never noticed any problems, the dealer caught it. However, that would not sway me from buying the vehicle. I love it. I imagine the 98's don't have the problem. Toyota should get tired of paying the dealers to fix it. I don't think you could go wrong with buying one. Your wallet will hurt for awhile but their resale holds up.
  • ZR2oraTRDZR2oraTRD Member Posts: 1
    I am crossed. I am looking to buy a new truck in the spring of 1999. I have lowered my choices down to 2. The Chevy S10 ZR2 or a Tacoma TRD. Could some of the current Toyota owners throw me some opinions? I am also curious about your gas mileage.
    I have 1998 4x4 extended cab with the 4 cylinder and not the big wheels and tires like the TRD. I get 20-21 mpg in a mix of town/highway and 24-25 on the highway at 65-70 mph. As stated before and elsewhere. I love the truck. It's only shortcoming in my mind is a third/fourth door option.
    My 4x4 Tacoma with the big tires and V6 gets about 22 with a mix of town and hwy. I've gotten up to 24 on mostly hwy 65-75mph. I really don't know much about the Chevy although it seems similarly styled. Both trucks seem to sit about the same height with the big tires.
  • JDIAZJDIAZ Member Posts: 23
    I bought a 98 T100 4x4 k-cab. I really like it.
    About the only complaint that I have is that the
    seat belts don't always retract, other than that
    it's a great truck. Then again I only have 5,000
    miles, so we'll just have wait a while.

Roym...... there was someone else in this forum who had a similar problem.

jd
  • airdamairdam Member Posts: 3
    On the 95 T-100 4x4 Extracab V-6 I had as well, the seat belt didn't retract as well. Minor annoyance but otherwise it was a great truck. I traded it in because it was too uncomfortable. I hope that the T-150 is more comfortable. I will then buy another but not until Toyota figures out the suspension quality. I have read in Edmunds that the most comfortable truck on the market right now in the Ford F-150. But I'll wait for Toyota to soften their springs. Can't get Toyota quality in a Ford. By the way for pschiess, I traded my 95 T-100 in Nov '97 at a Toyota dealer with 23,000 miles on it. They gave me $18.000 towards a 98 Avalon XLS. Lost about $7k on the T-100 but it was worth it to get rid of the bouncing bronco and into a luxury car. Looking now for a used pick up just for hauling stuff, not for commuting.

P.S. Are Tacoma 2x4s as bouncy or are they more comfortable?
This discussion has been closed.