Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS 350 and IS 250

Comments

• Options
    diablo1diablo1 Member Posts: 55
    It is brake dust. Mine has it too. Apparently it isn't as bad after 2-3 months.
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Even the zip code thing doesn't work on the configurator, diablo; never does. People on the west coast are buying packages off the lot that shouldn't exist per the web site, just as I did in '03!

Of course it doesn't me the system didn't luck out with a correct response for your area, is4me2!
  • Options
    power2kpower2k Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the information. I did a little bit reach and found others report the same problem on G35 and 330. So I guess it's common and I might replace the brake pad with a ceramic one if I could not stand it anymore.
  • Options
    is4me2is4me2 Member Posts: 19
    Hey Diablo, I think they sent my car north instead of south. I ordered the Tungsten Pearl with black interior and the sports package. I would take the Nav if they got one here with it but I didn't request it.

Have you used the Bluetooth yet?

I wondered why they were blasting the TV commercials advertising the new car if they don't have many around. I guess they figure us Florida drivers are all old and over 65 and don't need that car till they get them everywhere else first. Even when I had my IS300 there were never many around down here in Tampa area.

I got all the pricing from Edmunds awhile ago. That will be the next battle after the car arrives.
  • Options
    Cool, well I wanted that color combo with the nav, and I wanted metal rather than wood interior, so I went with sport package. My phone doesn't have Bluetooth and none of the Verizon phones will fully work with the Lexus system because Verizon disables most of the Bluetooth functionality.

I also thought it was weird that Lexus would be advertising the car so much to stimulate demand, when they do not have the supply to meet the demand that they spending money to create. I'd say spend less on ads, more on building cars!

The flip side is that you don't see the cars around that much yet, so it's cool to have a unique car... One of the reasons I chose this over the 330i, which is as common in NYC as minivans are in the burbs...
  • Options
    bigtymerbigtymer Member Posts: 5
    Diablo,

Can it play an MP3 CD? Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes, but I have not tried it yet.
  • Options
    kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    I believe a fully loaded IS350 is right around $47,000 MSRP...
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I might replace the brake pad with a ceramic one if I could not stand it anymore.

Not like I know what I’m talking about…but don’t ceramic brakes perform WORSE than normal brakes in day to day driving.

I thought ceramic brakes had to get up to a certain temperature before they were effective…or more effective; which is why they’re useful on the track and not the city, or cruising down the highway.

Am I incorrect? :confuse:
  • Options
    harrybush00harrybush00 Member Posts: 76
    I think you're thinking about the carbon brakes on race cars. Ceramic brakes should be good regardless of operating temperatures, as they're used in the higher-end Porsches.
  • Options
    alkaralkar Member Posts: 1
    I just drove the IS-350 today. It was great. First class comfort and performance for mid-range price. The dealer had fifteen or eighteen 350s in stock, but only five or six had nav. There were six or seven 250s as well. The sales guy said they are not negotiating...and he said it with a straight face. I've got a loaded almost new G35, and they wanted my car, with a wholesale book of $32K, and 13 grand!
  • Options
    diesel3diesel3 Member Posts: 18
    getting my IS 250 awd in 2 weeks. charcoal w/ black leather and nav. the only problem is the bluetooth. i have verizon and am very happy with them however according to the lexus website, they usually just use t-mobile or cingular. i called them and they said for it to work completely use those phones but if i want to keep verizon then speak to verizon. kinda strange but we'll see. Now, i am thinking about switching so this way i have no problems. any opinions...
  • Options
    alkar, where are you that they have so many IS's in stock? Here in NY they can barely keep them in inventory...

diesel - Verizon phones are not endorsed by Lexus because Verizon cripples the Bluetooth functionality. You can still use the Lexus integrated speakerphone, meaning you can talk and listen on the hardware built into the car, but you can't load your phone book, because Verizon disables this feature. T-Mobile and Cingular phones are recommended because they are fully functional, but Verizon phones will still work, to some extent
  • Options
    is4me2is4me2 Member Posts: 19
    Yes, I'd love to know where all the IS350s are too. Just called my dealer again and still no word when the packaged cars will be here in SW Fla. Dealer said they will come through JAX when they do come. He's trying to talk me into the basic but so far I'm holding out.

Does Sprint work with Bluetooth?
  • Options
    Sport package is good. Wait for it, or go out of state. I like the lowered ride, sport rims, and metallic interior finishes (instead of wood).
  • Options
    sdiver68sdiver68 Member Posts: 125
    ...and visited a St. Louis area Lexus dealer 2 weeks ago, they have all kinds of IS's in different configurations...but still not willing to deal at all.

In Charlotte, they seemed ready to deal off MSRP EXCEPT they did not have hardly any at all and did not know when they would get more. Funny thing is, the Charlotte dealer claims to be a high volume dealership, and acted a little annoyed when I told them a dealer in St. Louis had about 15 on the lot.
  • Options
    prime203prime203 Member Posts: 20
    ok I am seeking some advice from those of you who have driven and own the new IS (ill be attending the taste of lexus event tomorrow but i still wanted to ask this) Im not much of a speed demon but i do have a superiority complex so would it better to opt for the loaded 250 with levinson/nav and luxury or get the 350 with the standard sound system and nav/premium package... The only problem I am having with the 250 in the back of my mind, is the fact that its such a small engine; i live in a steep hilly coast area and don't know how the 250 would hold up goin up those steep hills and how big of a punch the AC would take from the engine power when running... what are your thoughts?
  • Options
    scotte1scotte1 Member Posts: 9
    I've owned my 350 for a couple weeks and have just accumulated enough break-in miles to test what full throttle is like.

Intoxicating.

If you can swing it, I'd opt for the bigger engine. I'd reckon the 250 might put a smile on your face. The 350, however, will make you laugh out loud.

:P
  • Options
    benb007benb007 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my 350 (Tugsten Pearl/Black Interior with Luxury and Nav) for about a week now. I'm in the Raleigh, NC area and found the car in the Northern Virginia/DC area. My local dealer was unable to get any car with luxury and only one premium had come through the lot. Since we are considered to be Southeast, they were fixated on searching for cars in the Southeast.

After two weeks of dealing with broken dealer swaps and misinterpretations of inventory and allocation, I decided to look hard on my own. As far as I could tell, any package that has heated seats is being allocated to the NE (I'm strictly speaking of east coast). I guess that Lexus figures that noone in the NE is going to buy a car in the fall that doesn't have heated seats.

I never found a dealer in the southeast region and south of Raleigh/Durham that had received any package that included heated/ventilated seats (I didn't really check Atlanta or Florida) - thus, no Luxury, Premium or Sport Packages. All of the dealers in the SE were pretty much getting the same basic packages two weeks ago when I was looking.

I've been told that the 350s with Nav are flying off the lots while the base models tend to hang around a bit longer. I bought mine over the telephone from a dealer who had just found out that the car had been allocated to their dealership and would arrive in two days (it was 9 am when I called). Apparently, the car was allocated as a special sales performance reward to the dealership. I don't think that any of the 350s that were allocated to the dealership (mostly sport packages with nav or premium with nav) ever made it to the lot before they where sold. However, I think that this is temporary. I suspect that by the end of November, they will have it together enough to start allocating cars to customers who have already made a deposit. It sounds like the west coast is already there.

BTW - The Nav is absolutely worth the wait. I also would have been happy with premium, luxury or sport. I really like them all. I was not interested in a base model because it lacked the heated/ventilated seats which have been great on both hot and cold days.
  • Options
    diesel3diesel3 Member Posts: 18
    i had the same dilemma as you prime. I opted to go with the 250 awd simply b/c sometimes in NY the snow is crazy. The 250 is somewhat fast but you have to step on the gas in order for it to take off. If i didnt live in ny i would have opted for the 350 in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    anijhawanijhaw Member Posts: 24
    I am also in the Raleigh, NC area and I want the luxury package with Nav as well. The dealerships down here can't even give me a date when they will have this package.

Which dealership in Northern VA did you use? Were you able to negotiate anything other than MSRP?
  • Options
    prime203prime203 Member Posts: 20
    hey scotte1 hows the sound system on your 350? i wondered if its even worth the extra 1600-1700 for the levinson or is the lexus system really good as it is?
  • Options
    benb007benb007 Member Posts: 3
    Which dealership in Northern VA did you use? Were you able to negotiate anything other than MSRP?

I got my car through Lindsey Lexus in Alexandria, VA. I called them on a Saturday at 9:00 am (right when they opened for business). They wouldn't budge on MSRP and both of the Tugsten Pearls (one with sport/nav and one with luxery/nav) where sold by noon even though they weren't scheduled to be on the lot until the next Tuesday. At that time, I didn't have any negotiating leverage as they could have easily sold the car to someone else while I was negotiating.

I guess that's the price of being an early adopter.
  • Options
    simonsayssimonsays Member Posts: 29
    Hi all,

I'm looking into getting an IS 250 AWD. I test drove it the other day and I'd have to say it was an excellent experience. Smooth, luxurious, and powerful. There's just one concern I have and maybe you can test this out if you have the 250 or 350.

The SmartAccess engine start/stop system allows you to get in and start your engine as long as the keys are within 1 meter away from the car.

1) If you left your key/remote outside (maybe you dropped it), I assume you'd still be able to get in and start the car while the keys/remote is still outside. I also assume you can drive since you can start the car. Maybe you can test this out. And if this is true, it poses a security issue. If someone wants to steal the car, it takes 2 people. One can pin you down (since you have the key/remote) beside your car while the other starts the car and drives off.

2) Referring to #1, is there an alternative way to get in and start the engine if you've lost your key/remote?

3) I live in the Northeast, and during the winter a lot of folks warm-up their cars before they drive. They would start the car get out and lock the doors and then head indoors while the car is warming up. Is it possible to do this with the SmartAccess system? If so, how? Start the car, get out and then lock the doors (from inside or outside) walk away and then return to unlock and get in by using a spare key/remote.

If any of you know the answers to these or have tested them out, that would be great. I'd like to know how it works. Thanks in advance!

Simon
  • Options
    krameskrames Member Posts: 1
    I had an opportunity to test drive this car one Sunday. The dealer had the key and let me take it for a spin around the parking lot by myself. The info display on the dashboard was complaining about the lack of a key in the car, but it was still running!

So to answer your question, yes you need the car to start, but you dont need it to keep it running.
  • Options
    scotte1scotte1 Member Posts: 9
    The standard Pioneer system is quite good. I'd agree with the general consensus out there that it will satisfy most people's discriminating ears. The bass is powerful. The treble is crisp and bright. I'd hardly consider myself an audio snob, but I think you'd be pleased with its performance. The ML is a bit better, but I don't miss it.
  • Options
    mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    Here you go. Me sitting in the backseat. My legs were stretched in the front seat very comfortably. I am 5'11"...

• Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    ummm...those are pretty short legs...

but if it works for ya :)
  • Options
    chubbymikeychubbymikey Member Posts: 3
    Just out of curiosity, does any one know how the IS 350 did (in terms of lap time) at the Nurburgring? since the brochure's theme is all about Germany and even had a page at the Nurburgring.
  • Options
    chubbymikeychubbymikey Member Posts: 3
    hi diablo1, i checked out the japanese lexus website which had a photo of the sport package interior. i noticed the seats are different...they looked like they had some cloth insert in it?? is your like that? or is it the nice leather seats? and when you said sports package, what does it include besides firmer suspension and the pedals. (is it a 350?)
    i'm looking to get one too, but the dealer here in California said that it won't be here for another 3-4 months.
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Is that the massaging seat option :confuse:

comfort is a matter of opinion, although, i'd question the comfort level on anything but short drives (no pun intended). :)
  • Options
    joemalejoemale Member Posts: 28
    I found leg room ok, but it was weird that your feet
    can't really move much, almost like they have to go
    under the seat in front, which makes it clumsy to get out.
    By far, the smallest in its "class".
  • Options
    Well, I don't know. I have a 31" inseam, but my legs are the size of tree trunks. I had a jacket and slacks tailored for myself just 1 week ago. Needless to say they are on their 4th alteration. Shopping for and fitting business clothes is a huge hassle!
  • Options
    gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    I like "the fastest in its class" much more than "the smallest in its class". :) They are compact anyway.
  • Options
    mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Well....Well....Well

Today I went to my local Lexus dealer and had the opportunity to test drive both cars.....and I must say I was impressed! Drove the 250 first....handled great...pure luxury inside.....power was okay as long as you pushed hard on the gas....not bad...but when I got in the 350 and hit the gas.....look out!!!!! That bad boy can hall!!!!
    I think Lexus has done a complete turn around on the IS model.....I wouldn't even think about looking at the old version.....but this one.....I'm sold!!! Now having said all of this.....I do have one issue and that is with the price....I don't mind paying for luxury....I do however have a problem with paying $4K over invoice for one of these babies....Haven't seen any on the streets yet around here in Central Florida....but the dealer had about 4-6 on the lot but they were all sold! They had one Flint Mica (I think that was the color) that was not sold....the ones here are fairly plain....the only adds are the 18inch wheels w/summer tires....and the floor mat package....MSRP on the 350 was $36,944.....but I think I am going to wait like many people for the prices to drop.....just read an article that stated that Lexus plains on selling a whole lot of these......but if the first numbers say anything...they better start dealing on these or nobody is going to buy!!! Just my .02
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    You would never see a German car brochure thats all about Japan. Its very clear whos still chasing who here ;)

DL
  • Options
    We all know here that Germany has a great racing heritage and the famous Autobahn, as well as the demanding Nurburgring course.

If you wanna talk about who's chasing who, Germany would sure like the success of Toyota in the business side wouldn't they?
  • Options
    apg3apg3 Member Posts: 7
    Bought the Is 250 AWD yesterday, with nav but not the additional premium package. Got $500 off the sticker price. A little more money then I wanted to spend, but I'm very excited. Should be here in 2-4 weeks, just in time for the Chicago weather!
  • Options
    If you mean charging 4k over invoice and no FREE Maintence then yes I agree...

And to stay on topic and not get scolded, do you know what the Maintence services cost for the IS ?

DL
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    And to stay on topic and not get scolded, do you know what the Maintence services cost for the IS ?

At the Lexus in El Cajon dealer, I was told $100+ per oil change every 5k miles and $300-400 for the 30k service.

Even downgrading to a more realistic synthetic $50 an oil change, that's 9 oil changes for $450 by 50,000 miles and one $300 service. I'd say at the minimum $750 over the first 50,000 miles. If one did the dealership...yikes!
  • Options
    Are the 5k changes not synthetic ?

DL
  • Options
    ninjaguyninjaguy Member Posts: 21
    I attended the Taste of Lexus at Orange County, CA on Saturday. The multiple comments about the small interior are correct. I felt that that interior seemed claustrophobic. I am only 5’8” and with the front seat adjusted for me, I could fit in the rear with only minimal room to spare. The rear seat is too small for taller people.

I drove the IS250 AWD, IS350, and 330i (and also GS430, 530i, SC430, LS430, and RX400h). I was surprised at the power of the IS250. I was expecting it to be similar to my son’s TSX (hp is about the same, but torque is about 20 ft-lbs more). The additional torque and the 2 extra cylinders sure make a difference. The power of both the IS350 and 330i were incredible.

The IS is a nice car, and I will consider buying one. However, I am concerned about the small interior for a 4 door sedan and the price. If only the IS were several thousand less. I will probably buy a G35 instead. It makes no sense to pay the same price for much less power or BMW prices for the IS350.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    They are synthetic...that's why I mentioned $50 for an oil change from other places, rather than the ridiculously overpriced changes at my lexus dealer.
  • Options
    bluedartbluedart Member Posts: 1
    the nissan skyline famously recorded the fastest time ever for a production car around the nurburgring in germany. it was only such car to go round in under eight minutes. if bmw is such an ultimate driving machine then why can't it beat that record? who is chasing who?
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    It's not a production car for the US with US specs and is not sold in the US. Yeah it's production somewhere, but not here. So I'm not sure what standard the emissions were at vs BMWs. That would make a big difference.
  • Options
    mikeyhmikeyh Member Posts: 1
    Congrats! I know that the DVD player will play movies while in park, but have you heard anything about modifying the unit to play movies when not in park? Not for the driver of course, but the passengers.
  • Options
    simonsays: I'm not sure exactly what your question about the remote key is, but you can't start the engine unless the key is in the car. However, if you start the car and then the key is removed from the car, the engine will keep running until you turn it off. You will get a "key not detected" warning though. Once you turn off the engine, the car must re-detect the key in the passenger compartment before it will start. So yes, if someone gets a hold of your keys, they will be able to steal your car. This is the same as with a normal key. However, they will need to have your key inside your car in order to be able to start it.

chubby: you can look on lexus.com to see what is in the sport package. metallic interior instead of wood, lowered ride, 18" wheels, sport tuned suspension, etc. The seats are normal leather, with perforated leather in the middle sections so hot/cold air can come out. There is no cloth insert or anything. The entire seat is the same color.
  • Options
    diablo1: I checked with the sales rep. yesterday and he said that it's possible to start the engine as long as the key is within 1 meter from the car (didn't test that). Have you tested it? He also said that the engine will stop if the car is driven without the key, incase someone's stealing the car (didn't test that either). I was also wondering if it's possible to lock the car from the outside once you've started it, for those warm-up times during the bitter winter months. Thanks for your answers.
  • Options
    It definitely is not possible to start the car with the key not in it. I tried this with my friends and it said "key not detected", even with the door open. I handed them the key and then they were able to use the start button to start the engine.

I'm not sure of a good way to test what happens when you drive without the key. My car is garaged about a mile from my apartment, but maybe it would be more convenient for someone else to give it a try. But I'm pretty sure that I read that the car will keep going until you turn it off. Because what happens if you turn on the car and then the key runs out of batteries?

BTW if this really bothers you, you should know that you can turn any of these features off. The car is extremely customizable. One of the reasons I like it. :D
  • Options
    That's nice to hear. I'm skeptical about the system and the security of it. It's nice to know it's all customizable. Thanks for testing it out. So what happens if the batteries in your key die? How would you get in? Did they give you a spare? With a real key system you can still use the key to unlock even if the remote dies, get in and turn off the alarm if it goes off.