Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Matrix Transmission Problems

Comments

• frustrated41frustrated41 Member Posts: 11
    I am very tempted. You are probably right. May not do any good but I certainly intend to stand my ground and if that fails I do plan to talk to an attorney. I just trusted them too much and never thought to ask any of my friends to listen to it. They'd always been super nice to me at other times and I figured if you can't trust the people you bought it from, who can you trust. I've always had good experiences with car repairs before. Sad thing is, I have loved that car except for this. They offered to buy it from me for $1500 or offer $3000 in trade. Last year, I checked and with the low mileage and the condition it's in, the trade value was $9,000. They would probably repair it for about a grand and turn around and sell it. It's really sad that companies are that way.
    thanks. i will keep reading. to be continued . . . . .
    I was on a heavily traveled highway just before mine blew out. How can this NOT be a safety issue? I will be calling National Transportation board along with other organizations.
    Well, I suppose I will find out next week if my dealership will make the same offer.
    As you can see from recent posts, I would be very interested in knowing whatever came of your experience on I40. I don't understand why a recall hasn't been done.
    Would be interested in knowing whatever became of this as my '03 matrix transmission just bite the dust at 72,000.
    Well, I got no where with the dealer. did give me the number for Toyota corporate office. Can't afford a new car payment right now but will bite the bullet and get new transmission and hope it lasts for a couple of years yet. I will be in contact with Toyota, and will call every number I have found on this forum.

Any suggestions from any mechanics out here on what questions to ask or anything I need to check with my dealership with concerning the repairs?
  • jfred4jfred4 Member Posts: 1
    I also had to have my clutch replaced! Now my manual transmission is shifting itself. I'm so disappointed in my Toyota; my last Toyota/Corolla was about 15 years old before it died.
  • tubenuttubenut Member Posts: 4
    HAHA!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41756436/ns/business-autos/?GT1=43001

Still no admission that there is a tranny issue.
  • avocadosavocados Member Posts: 1
    We just joined the club. Our 05 has 159K miles on it, and, now it's worthless. It was our only 4-wheeled transportation. :(
  • carman1234carman1234 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 matrix i bouth it wit 84000 miles on it and have had no problems wit it it now has over 210,000 miles on it and sill have had no problems wit it or the tranny. and sill have no lights on over all this has been a good car for me
  • eileenmeileenm Member Posts: 1
    I blew my transmission yesterday with 110,000 miles. They are telling me $4200 for the transmission & $1900 for the coupler which normally goes with the tranny.
  • markdufouetmarkdufouet Member Posts: 1
    If you have the time you can go the Attrition route, but most of us don't have that luxury. I just vote with my wallet (I bought a new 2011 Honda) and tell everyone what happened to my Toyota.

I will never buy another Toyota. I had blind faith in their quality and reliability, but I will never trust them again.

What bothers me most are the people who post on here how they went out and bought another Toyota. Good luck to them. I don't like to live life by chance.

Don't hate. Forgive them for their ignorance and move on with your life.
  • 2010mat2010mat Member Posts: 2
    I'm concerned about the tranny problems. I have new 2010 matrix with just 6600 miles on it. took a trip through the mountains and experienced some shifting and power problems in the Sierra Nevada range. It was a 4000 mile trip through Wy,Id,Or,Ca,NV and CO. (lots of mountains) Only experienced this problem in the last 500 miles. When I got back to Boulder I took the car in for oil change Etc. and mentioned the loss of power and shifting problem to the mechanic. They took it for a drive and told me it was probably the altitude changes and the sensors needed a few seconds to respond to the air difference. But they noted it on the work papers in case there was a problem in the future. I'm not a mechanic and have no idea whether this is an accurate possibility or not. But I guess I'm asking if others have had this problem with this trans...or if "noting it on the work order " is actually of any use for future problems?
  • hillhumhillhum Member Posts: 6
    NO NO NO ! I live in the sierra nevada mtns. And that altitude stuff is crap. Take it back and make them look at their technical service bulletins. Tell them you know there is one on this, and you also noticed a louder than usual noise when it was happening. Have them look at the transmission coupler assembly. Mine started EXACTLY the same way, and toyota knows about this issue but doesn't have to deal with it because its only a TSB and not a recall . If you wait, it will get worse, and if you get past 60k, toyota will hang you out to dry....get it looked at again! Good luck
  • 2010mat2010mat Member Posts: 2
    My car didn't make any noise it just lost power quickly, no matter how much gas pedal I applied and shifted from gear to gear and back again. It never did this in the mountains prior. I checked the service bulletins and don't really know what I'm looking at...lock/latches or powertrain, cooling etc. but nothing on tranny. thanks for the heads up though will continue to research.
  • canonlawcanonlaw Member Posts: 20
    I had my transmission rebuilt back in 2007, at 65,000 miles (under extended warranty, thankfully). But now, at 135,000 miles, problem is back again, like clockwork. Rear main bearing failure, same as the first time. I don't advise anyone to purchase a manual version of this car. I am going to trade it in for something else, which is too bad! The car was perfect for me in every other way! But I am not paying $1800 to rebuild the transmission every 4 years or so. I actually emailed the shop I took it too last time and asked them how many of these they see (its a huge, transmission only shop, so they probably have seen a bunch).

What worries me though, is that there have been numerous people on here who have been driving and the transmission just seized up on them on the freeway. That can be very scary/deadly, so now I am afraid to drive it! I have an old 4Runner, so I guess I am in better shape than most, but the 4Runner is 23 years old and has 230,000 miles on it!

I am so dissapointed. My previous car, a 93 Civic Si, had 180,000 miles when I sold it in 06 and the guy who has it said its at 200,000 now...same tranny, same clutch, same rotors.....that was a reliable car! :confuse: :sick: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • sthomas4sthomas4 Member Posts: 4
    Well, I found this forum on Friday, when I discovered the horrible noise emanating from my 05 matrix with 59k on it is the transmission. Toyota says it is the countershaft bearing and replacement of tranny is $3k. Much as described on here. Mechanic there admitted he has seen it in 5 cars, yet Toyota "does not know of this problem." They are checking with Toyota rep to see if they will do anything for me, but my hopes are not high.

Like everyone here I'm very disappointed, as I paid more for a Toyota to have a reliable car. Yet clearly didn't get that. My last was a Honda, 11 years before selling, no problems. This is total [non-permissible content removed] and Toyota won't get my business again. It seems clear that folks have been having these problems for 5-6 years now and Toyota is still ignoring.

I am probably going to a transmission shop, since they will actually fix the transmission rather than just replacing it. They said dealers don't fix transmissions because they don't have rebuilders on staff. A tip to others with this issue- get a second opinion and don't trust the dealer.
    Toyota refused to "extend my warranty" (car has 59k and is 6 years old). So no help from them. One dealer gave me a customer service number for Toyota. I'll try, but forgive my lack of hope.

Repair shop is quoting around $2200 to repair, depending on what they find when they take it apart. He did point out that at least the parts they use would not be Toyota parts.
    Not shockingly, Toyota has refused to take any responsibility, just saying my car is over a year out of warranty. I know a lot of people on here talked about calling Toyota corporate, filing lawsuits, etc. Anyone make any progress? :mad:
  • shooter11shooter11 Member Posts: 1
    I have same problem, want to put a 6 spd in. How did your swap go? Any problems I should know about? Would be grateful for any info you give. Did 5 spd clutch work or does 6 spd have different splines? Thanks for any info you can give.
  • cman5cman5 Member Posts: 1
    I just submitted a complaint with the National Highway Transit and Safety Administration (NHTSA) which has the power to force Toyota into issuing a recall. Please do the same. While the chances are low that the defect actually gets investigated, this is really the best chance of getting something done.

Please follow this link:
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

It's very quick and easy to fill out. Be sure to select "Power Train" and "Matrix", not "Corolla Matrix"
    Addendum to my earlier post. My problem was not Toyota's fault. A shop that fixed an axle seal 4 months ago put no tranny fluid back in car. They paid for a new transmission. Here's hoping I don't have these problems you have all had! :-)
  • matrixjunkmatrixjunk Member Posts: 3
    It's looking like I may be having the same issues as everyone else here. My 2006 Matrix is making odd growling noises, whines when it's shifting and tonight I noticed my dash lights looked dim. I've taken it to the dealer twice and they swear they can't find a problem. The second time, they claimed the found the problem, but charged me for a new water pump. As soon as I got in and turned the key to bring it home, the sound was back. My mistake was turning it off to go back inside to get the technician. Once back outside, I couldn't get the sound to repeat, even when they looked under the hood and crawled underneath. But then on the road, of course, it came back. By then I was almost home and was so angry I just went home to figure out what to do next. Now the problem seems worse and I fear how much it's going to cost me to resolve this.
    I'm wondering if I'd be better off going to a transmission repair shop, instead of the dealership. I'm afraid to drive it anymore!!! :mad:
    Advice/feedback welcome!!
  • emmac22emmac22 Member Posts: 1
    Oh boy where to start? I bought the car certified new from a dealer ship after I can back from the military, I had it just over a year when things started breaking. The driver side panel inside the car that us between the door and windshield the plastic price broke off, the driver side plastic panel to hold on controls snapped off the controls, the clutch went at 126k the windshield was put in properly by them and it was set wrong and snapped and broke, the newest thing is my boyfriend and I were driving and all of a sudden we heard what soundedike a by break and rattle In the door. The 5 hours later when we getting ready to leave work the who driver side window shattered, the recall for the bolts were done last year when I got the clutch done, I brought it back to them Saturday they wouldn't let me watch the door come off from out side the shop, the only brought me out after about 2 hours and telling me that it was a PLASTIC tab that broke, not a bolt.. Some thing sounds really sneaky. Nothing mechanical breaks bc I take care of it, but it's all the damned plastic.. What do I do now
  • mk9mk9 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2003 matrix last December. We were driving around a corner and it just quit. So thankful we were'nt hurt. I hear now they changed the engines. According to Toyota, there wasn't a problem. So why change? I'ld love to go after Toyota !!!
    Has anyone filed a complaint with their local Attorney General's office or consumer group? Or what about a letter to a consumer watchdog on a news station? Obviously, Toyota is aware of this issue, but apparently needs to be reminded how dangerous this can be and forced to do something about it.
    In my case, I've taken the car to a local mechanic who also didn't think there was a problem. I know that noise is not in my head!!! Yet, nobody can be bothered to look into my suspicions on the transmission and see if I'm right.
    I'd love to see this problem get recalled before something serious happens.
  • matrixcorollamatrixcorolla Member Posts: 9
    Have the 1998 Corolla with the engine problems - small pistons and the 203 Matrix with the transmission problems and idling problems- would recommend you NOT buy Toyota. I thought Toyotas were very reliable but having seocnd thought.
  • matrixcorollamatrixcorolla Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2003 Matrix basic - auto trans seems to shift down for no reason. Dealer found no problem - but I know something isn't right. Anyone else have this?
  • tammylynnetammylynne Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Matrix just died in the middle of traffic, with my 8-year-old in the back seat. We had opted not to take the freeway because the gears had suddenly started acting funny - this is after I had taken it to the shop, who said they didn't see anything wrong so maybe a tune-up (which we did). We nearly got hit several times, sitting in the locked and dead car in the middle of the road. If we had taken the freeway chances are we would have been rear ended - with my son there. Toyota as yet not taking responsibility. We had clutch replaced 1-1/2 years ago already. Transmission blew so badly that is melted the core, making it not salvageable either - so $3800+ quote. Car basically totaled. DO NOT take your fears of car lightly! Go to dealer and insist on new transmission! :lemon:

Anyone getting together a class suit?
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    How many miles?
    Was the trans oil ever changed?
  • tammylynnetammylynne Member Posts: 2
    yes, it was... we did all the maintenance when needed. the car had 92k miles.
  • sctaatsctaat Member Posts: 1
    My car is 7 years old, but I hardly drive, my car has 58,000 miles on it and the transmission just took a dive.....So much for Toyotas lasting forever, and so much for me stating I would never drive anything but a Toyota. The repair is higher than bluebook. Just for the record it is a 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS 6 speed.
  • sandig3sandig3 Member Posts: 2
  • sandig3sandig3 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned this car for 3 years. Only 76,100 miles. The clutch had been replaced twice. The clutch broke a 3rd time, it broke the transmission housing, and now, just 5 months later from having the whole transmission replaced. The clutch is out again.

I am not in a position where I can buy a new car. I'm at such a loss.
    I think folks need to start contacting the Better Business Bureau, State's Attorney's office, news media or whoever it will take to get Toyota to wake up and get this transmission matter on a recall.
  • fleetcreationsfleetcreations Member Posts: 1
    2004 Matrix 5 SP, Sounded like a bearin goin@85k.........R.I.P.@97k...1-4-2012
    How often was the trans oil actually changed?
    The Service Guide only calls for inspection every 30K miles.
  • kbettokbetto Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem this past December 2011 where my check oil light came on and the Matrix 2003 suddenly died on the freeway. I had it towed to Toyota and I was told by the dealer that my engine was not getting oil on the top part and I needed a new engine for $7000! Had to sell my car as junk. I had had regular care and oil changes since I bought the car used with 50,000 miles on it. It had 130,000 miles on it when it died. The only other problem I had with it in the past was when a check engine light went on intermittently and a new catalytic converter/tailpipe took care of that problem. I will not buy another Toyota and just bought a Honda Fit which I hope will give me at least 10 years of good driving.
    kbetto you could have had an independent shop put a rebuilt or junkyard motor in for much less than $7000.
    There's generally no need to take an out-of-warranty car to the dealer, their prices tend to be the highest.

It had "regular care and oil changes" while you owned it, but what care did it get during its first 50,000 miles?

And the $64 question: how long did you keep driving after the oil light came on?
    If more than 30 seconds then that engine failed due to your negligence, not Toyotas fault.
    It's not a "check oil" light, it means there's no oil pressure and damage is imminent.
  • marjomarjo Member Posts: 28
    You're obviously one of those gullible people that refuses to believe these cars are crap. Why would kbetto take the car anywhere for a new engine for any amount of money? It was junk. Would have died no matter how long the light was on. I was one of the early posts on this way back in fall of 2007 when I also replaced my Toyota junk with a Honda Fit and am loving it. May be smaller but it's way faster and better built. That matrix was gutless on the highway.
    You're obviously one of those irresponsible people that refuses to take any blame ever for problems in your life.
    When something goes wrong you start pointing the finger in all directions except inward.
    Your post is pure venting and pretty nonsensical.
    You like your Honda then good for you, however it's not suitable for my needs.
    I owned a Civic and 3 Accords and liked them all too.
    I've had 5 trouble free years with my Matrix and I'm convinced it's not "junk".
    I'm the one that will be laughing at you when your matrix dies too. It's at that ripe age of 5y. Mine was gone at 5.5y and had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WAY I DROVE IT OR MAINTENANCE OF IT! Pure junk. Enjoy the day you get stuck on the side of the highway like the rest of us.
    Oh, and don't ever call a person irresponsible when you know nothing about them. You keep insisting in every post that these problems are the drivers' fault which is completely untrue. The bearings do not get enough oil, they pit, and then they fail. They possibly don't all have the same bearing from the same manufacturer so perhaps some won't fail and those owners are simply the lucky ones, not the more responsible ones.
    edited January 2012
    Oh, and don't ever call a person gullible when you know nothing about them.
    I'm not insisting on anything, I just stated fact.
    If someone continues to drive with the oil (pressure) light on for more than a brief time the engine will be toast.
    Doesn't matter if it's a Toyota or a Bentley.
    And now you've confused transmission bearing problems with kbetto's engine failure.

Maybe kbetto's engine could have been saved if he/she hadn't continued to drive it with the oil light on.
    Maybe it just had a clogged oil pickup screen, not unusual if the previous owner was stingy with oil changes during the first 50,000 miles.

You have no evidence that EVERY transmission or engine failure is Toyota's fault.
    The hand full of people on the internet with problems multiplied by 100 isn't even 1% of the Matrixes out there on the road.
    Clearly you have some axe to grind with Toyota, but you'll never match wits with me.
  • stan83stan83 Member Posts: 1
    bought 09 matrix 1st trans replaced under warranty at 14000 km didnt think to much about it ....in shop now for 2nd trans at 54000km being replaced under warranty.....dealer great about it no hassles just replaces trans like alls normal...driven standards for years never replaced trans even in younger days driving older vehicles..car serviced only by dealer and wife drives conservativly...i agree toyota needs to look into and correct these problems.
  • jchan01545jchan01545 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    Purchased new in April 2004 (manual 5-speed, XR model). Started making scraping noises @ 109K about a month ago (sounded a bit like brake rust, "hissing" or "growling" when accelerating or decelerating, but with clutch down the noise quieted down). Got worse (louder and more obnoxious) over the past week so I tried changing the transmission fluid this past weekend (fluid was the color of black coffee - I'd never changed it since new) with no noticeable metal swirls. Noise was reduced by maybe half for a couple of days.

A hundred or so miles later, the noise is back but worse. The growling is accompanied with more "chatter" and shifting gears is stiffer but all gears still work. Took to an Aamco shop, they had one Matrix 2003 failure like mine (replaced the transmission since they couldn't find parts). Claimed that they saw some metal swirls in the transmission fluid and recommended that I do the same for $3900. I opted out and will likely try to do the repair myself. I'll just have to figure out how to get the Matrix high enough off the ground to drop the transmission out onto a dolly and back.

If it's just bearings, I'll order a transmission rebuild kit for $300 - $350 and swap out the bearings. I suspect its the input / output bearings or both since the noise is present even in 4th gear (which I hear bypasses the throwback bearing). If the gear(s) are shot, I'll try to find a used C90 6-speed transmission and toss that in.

Interestingly, the Aamco manager told me that he sees a lot more Honda Odyssey transmission problems than Toyotas, any given week they see several in the shop. They were three in the shop while I was there.
  • matrix09matrix09 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for the thoughtful post - being a 'shade tree mechanic' i appreciate your approach and anticipate the same as mine developes.
  • rexrootsrexroots Member Posts: 1
    I am in for the lawsuit.
  • jchan01545jchan01545 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2012
    It's taken a month (augmenting my tool collection and working on the car after-hours and weekends) but was finally able to drop the transmission out and get it open. Me thinks that the Toyota manual is deliberately vague to protect their service revenue, lots of hurdles to overcome.

For anyone who's interested, below are pic's of my blown output bearing along with the shattered ball bearing cage and 5th driven gear that sits above the bearing:

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd495/littlome/ef19cd03.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd495/littlome/ae456d2e.jpg

One of the bearings was rattling around (only a matter of time for the others to break free, the cage was cracked in mulitple places). From the photo you can see that the ball bearing is pretty pitted. I spotted chunks of metal and several of the other balls were also pitted.

Long story short, I don't recommend driving on a transmission that has my previously described symptoms. I cringe at the thought of an output shaft seizing from failed bearings going at highway speeds.

Next up, checking the other other bearings and synchro's...