Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi allroad Suspension Questions

Comments

• manstermanster Member Posts: 12
    At 111k the right front air suspension unit failed. I elected to have oem replacements installed rather than deal with Arnott, warning light issues, etc. especially in light of the small difference in cost. I expect that the car will be out of my hands well before the next replacement is required.
  • augustomaugustom Member Posts: 22
    Manster, what did you pay for OEM? Did you get it at the dealer or Web? Thanks.
  • indoor79indoor79 Member Posts: 23
    unless there's made in China :) and may be cheaper
  • bwillybwilly Member Posts: 10
    Dear Allroadowner,

When I posted my last blurb, I had not had the wheels aligned after the suspension changeover (as recommended). I did that and got new tires (which I needed) and the car is now stable and rides well with the Bilstein shocks. As for the Electronic Stability Control System (ESP), I don't know whether it is working or not - the dash light comes on and goes off within 2 seconds during start as it should, and I have never seen it on any other time, so I assume it is active (because the manual says the light will come on if it isn't). But pressing the ESP button on the dashboard has no effect (no light), so that's puzzling. I have had no more stability problems, so I am happy with the changeover so far - BUT would like to know for sure what the status of the ESP is.
  • fmansamfmansam Member Posts: 5
    Just had the Front Generation-II Performance Air Springs fitted. We will see how they go, seemed ok so far.

Has anyone got any feedback on these?

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_AUDI_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid17_pid124_gid5- 29.html
  • fmansamfmansam Member Posts: 5
    Just some info on my last post, mine is a 2004, 2.7T, 62K, front drivers side bag kept deflating. I live in Colorado, so wonder if the temperature extremes and the dry conditions had anything to do with it?
  • clonerangercloneranger Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to use the standard suspension from an avant a6 to replace the allroad suspension? The suspension wouldn't be adjustable and the traction control computer might need to be swapped out, but at least they won't leak! I am thinking of buying a 2002 allroad in pristine condition but don't want to shell out $1000 a strut to keep it on the road. I haven't read all the posts yet but am wondering if anybody has tried replacing the air suspension with a standard suspension and if it's even feasible. :confuse:
  • manstermanster Member Posts: 12
    The principal difference between the A6 and the Allroad is the suspension. I would suggest that unless you intended to keep the Allroad for several years and that you are willing to inspect and replace as required the 4 air suspension units, you should find a clean A6. I have a 2001 Allroad with 115,000 miles and will probably drive it to 150,00+, 3 years. I've replaced the front suspension units and expect to change the rears with 12 months.
    I agree with Manster. If you do not yet have the car buy an A6, if you really want an allroad try to negociate the replacement cost of the bags, if they have not been already replaced in the past 24 months.
    Do not buy an allroad to turn it into an A6, it is not practical.
    BTW I have a 2002 allroad, replaced the bags once in 2005 and never again had a problem.
    Good luck.
    Since I recently had the coil shock kit installed on my '03 Allroad, I have two allmost-new rear airsprings (OEM) that have only been installed for about 8 months/5000 miles and have had no problems. I paid $556 apiece for them and would sell them for $500 total. (I also have the front springs, but have no idea what their condition is - you can have those for nothing, if you want them - you just pay for the shipping Tel: (209) 788-7357

Bwilly.
  • 14veritas14veritas Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone - After lots of reading/research about Audi allroad vehicles, I purcashed a 2005 allroad with 28K miles. The vehicle resided on the island of Nantucket in Massachusetts.

Knowing the issues associted with this model....I negotiated with the dealer to have (one of the bags had failed with the previous owner prior to trade-in) the other front bag replaced as welll. I added 2 additional years of warranty to the 2 years already on the vehicle (Audi certified). I verified with Audi that the air bags and the ECM (auto leveling control module) are covered under the warranty.

I have had the vehicle for 2 months without any trouble at all. Once a week I excercise the system - top heith to lowest height.
  • dpc1dpc1 Member Posts: 2
    hello,
    Do you still have these for sale?
    dan
  • darko011darko011 Member Posts: 2
    the self leveling suspension light came on, on 2001 2.7 allroad. Car is not droping,but i think there might be a some kind of a noise coming from a back when going up a level(compressor?).Took it to the dealer,they are 90% sure(???) that a suspension control module need to be replaced.1500$?
    Any suggestions? And i hear that a control module needs to be programed after installation.
    The dealership aka 'stealership' will always inflate the bill...I would suggest going to a local european car shop. My suspension light came up and the car would not go up or down. I scanned it and it the code helped me resolve the issue. It was as simple as a broken wire for the solenoid valve that lets the air out suspension struts for lowering the car. It cost me $25 and one trip to the dealer for the parts...But I did it myself...The dealer is only good for parts not labor :)
    The dealer charged me $500 for a hose two years ago(the part was $10). That was the last time I used a dealer...
    Anyway I think you should go to an Autozone for a free scan and let us know what you find...
  • darko011darko011 Member Posts: 2
    I`m taking a car to local shop tomorrow (just for comperason,for the cam shaft seals(bank 1 & bank 2) as they are leaking,a dealer wants 1500,and the shop wants 600 max!?)
    As of yesterday car is now on level 4 and it1s staying there.No droping,no noise...could it be that is just a wire as you say or some check valve???
    thanks
    edited March 2010
    In that case you can get under the car(after you put down some jack stands for safety) by the spare wheel well(rear) and you will find those 4 colored tubes that carry the air pressure to the airsprings. To the right of that there's a small 'belly pan' that protects the compressor. Remove it. It has 3 nuts(10mm iirc). On the right side of the compressor there's a connector with 2 green wires. Disconnect it. Turn it a bit so you can check the back side of the cables(those 2 little green cables). Most likely one of them broke. If you have enough cable strip off the plastic and reconnect the broken cable. Otherwise you have to add more cable like I did since mine broke off right next to the connector witch I wound up buying as well...Hope this helps...
  • captsesiblecaptsesible Member Posts: 1
    Re suspension problems with adjustable air systems on older Allroads. My 2001 manual 2.5 diesel was a dream to drive until problems with the air suspension became fairly regular and costly, I decided to install the Arnott Coil Spring Conversion Kit. This was ordered and delivered promply to the UK where I reside with full installation instructions. The mechanic fitted the parts with no problems. When I uplifted the Allroad I could not believe how well it drove. The Allroad drives perfectly and how been using it for 3 months, the fixed height is I would say nearer the old setting 3 rather than 2 so it still looks really good on the road. I would certainly recommend the change,
  • art65art65 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, sorry to be so long in answering. yes it was just the rear and the replacement only lasted two weeks. I called and they sent me two more replacements, only one was defective. The last one hasworked, 14,000 miles on them. car rides find, high speed corners are not the same. overall the Allroad has been good other than suspension, 175,000 miles same clutch etc.

Art 65
    Sorry, I missed your response in the forum, but yes, I still have the air springs. If you are interested, let me know.
  • dpc1dpc1 Member Posts: 2
    I just replaced the frontsuspension bags, I now have the pump / compressor cycling on and off while driving - seems like every 5 minutes. The shop says there is not a leak, but perhaps a short in the pump? does this make sense?
    To check for leaks leave the car on level 2, measure the height of each wheel well from the ground and then check it again the next day. If height the same then no leak. Maybe you are more alert because of the service but I think that it is normal for the compressor to cycle every 5 minutes, mine does just about that.
  • kc77kc77 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    My allroad did the same thing. The mechanic that replaced my front air bags said that he couldnt find any leaks so he wasnt sure why it would be coming on. When I spoke to my regular Audi mechanic he told me that when they replace airbags they need to be callibrated with the back ones - and that its somewhat difficult to get it just right. He also said that alot of mechanics dont callibrate them because after a while they even out themselves.

I replaced my front bags in November 2009 with Arnott bags - my compressor is just now starting to not come on constantly :)...so sounds like my Audi mechanic was right. That'll be the last time I stray from him in order to save a couple hundred $$
  • organman1organman1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I live in nottinghamshire and am thinking of going down the same route as you with the Allroad, I have seen some bad posts about the Arnott, are you finding yours ok and how much did you have to pay. Did you check out if anyone else does the kit, thanks, bob
    I got the Generation - II (2) Performance Air Springs (front). They come in as a pair for $798.00. Then I paid around $350-$400 to have them installed. I know they have a cheaper air bag but the Gen 2's are supposed to handle much better...and in my experience with them for 6 months now I am glad I spent the extra $200.00.

As far as Arnott goes - I think they're great. Their customer service is fantastic and the air-bags also come with a lifetime warranty. Something you wont get from Audi - even when you're spending $1000-$1200 per installed bag.

When/if I have to replace my rear bags I'll definitely get the rear Arnott Gen 2's.
    I also forgot to add- that I did a google search for Arnott Coupon Codes and got 20% off my order. It was a good deal..I believe you can still find that code if you search.
  • audimasochistaudimasochist Member Posts: 5
    Going through some old emails and see I never responded to this inquiry...until now! sorry! The Arnott suspension is working great. My mistake was to splurge for a new Wabco compressor from Arnott only to find that there's a "T" connector and various other hardware that is needed. If you replace the compressor make sure you make sure you get all new connectors because they are otherwise extremely hard to locate. My compressor works but the connectors are rube-goldberg-esque. Regards.
  • organman1organman1 Member Posts: 2
    THANKS FOR THAT I THINK I AM GOING FOR THE COIL OVER SHOCKS.
  • matt124matt124 Member Posts: 1
    I have one air shock bad. estimate to replace at the dealer is $1400. I am concerned the other 3 air shocks might then go bad. would you reommend I consider something else. are coil over shocks you refer to an alternative?
  • DondangerDondanger Member Posts: 9
    Yep, I've run them for a year now and they are fine. Changes the ride of course, its now much more soft and springy and of course your stuck at level 1, but if you swop them out now you can sell the springs, compressor and computer on ebay which almosts pays for the coil set!
  • traymondtraymond Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 all road and I am experiencing recurring problems at setting 2. If I leave the suspension set at 3 and do not exceed 79 kph the system is stable. If I let the car self-adjust and it drops to position 2 then eventually the system shuts down and indicates a drop to level 1. I then have to stop the vehicle turn off the ignition and reset the position manually. When I get out of the car and visually inspect the right side is still inflated but the left is very low. The dealer put the car on the scanner but the results were only code 01781 extremely tilted vehicle and 01400 level control system value above upper control limit intermittent.. One month ago the problem started on the highway and at a dealer I replaced the left front air suspension unit which was supposedly leaky although the car did not lose air overnight. After installing the unit they could not level the car and took all day to get it back to me. $1500 later I appear to have the same problem more or less that I went in with. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  • traymondtraymond Member Posts: 2
    I am currently in western Maine but reside in Montreal
  • steve_repsteve_rep Member Posts: 1
    In order to buy time before I make my mind up on whether to go with new front air shocks or replace with the coil spring conversion, I've been squirting one of those bicycle tire-sized bottles of Slime into the FL air bladder. It works fine for about 6 months, then it requires a repeat.

After reading these posts, I'm leaning more and more to just putting in the Arnott front air shocks, although if I have to get into the compressor at some point, it sounds like every bit the nightmare I'm reading about with the coil spring conversion. This would pertain to the conversion's resultant ESP issues, check engine light, spongy handling, etc.

My 2002 2.7 has 175,000 miles. It has been a joy and I plan on keeping it through thick and thin. I must say though, this air suspension vs. coil springs has me pulling my hair out because it seems they are equally troubling for many of you, regardless of your choice?
  • audiaustinaudiaustin Member Posts: 3
    fmansam, how do you like the generation II airsprings?
    The passenger airspring leaked on my 2001 allroad. It got replaced with OEM parts for ~$1,200 total. As soon as the passenger side airspring go replaced, the driver side showed similiar issue of lowering over night. Shop suggested to replace that one as well. The allroad has now 108k miles. Airsprings were replaced 4 times(!) with OEM parts already and I am hesitant to replace with OEM parts yet again. I am thinking of replacing both front airsprings(even though only one is apparently leaking) with either Arnott generation I or generation II. I just signed up to this forum and I am eager to hear suggestions. The car is 10 years old but I love it and would like to keep it. Thank you!
  • duckrockduckrock Member Posts: 9
    I did the spring suspension a while ago and now that Arnott has replaced the KYBs with Bilsteins, I would not hesitate to get the springs. I am in San Francsico, CA. If you are near by, come drive it. the only bad thing is the suspension light, which may be a non-issue for a 2002.

john
  • bdealvabdealva Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I've read through the last 3 screens of posts on this thread and am thinking I will order the Arnott Gen-II bags for my 2003 Allroad. First, I would like to confirm (to the extent possible) there is nothing else wrong with my suspension. My LF bag went flat today (car obviously low on that corner). My Ride Height warning light is flashing and my low-level indicator is flashing. I do not hear the compressor running constantly so I assume the car is smart enough to turn off the compressor when one bag has a leak.

I reside 60+ miles from the nearest shop that can read the error code (my generic reader only does engine codes). My questions are:

(1) What is the likelihood of something else (bad control module, broken wire, leaking air hose, etc) causing only the LF suspension to be riding low?

(2)Hhow specific are the OBD error codes for the suspension and would it be a mistake to proceed with replacement of the front air springs without first having the OBD codes checked?

BTW, there is an excellent step-by-step guide to replacement of the front air springs on Audiction.com

Thanks for any help!
  • raakaraaka Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of "Sliming" my FL air bladder as well, it started to leak recently.

How do you do that? Do I need tools, jack up the front?
  • el_doctorel_doctor Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i have just replaced my front air bags for the new arnott gen II, and i'm pretty happy with them.
    I've had a lot of problems with this "gorgeous lady", (kidding with my wife i tell her that allroad is my lover, eh, eh).
    I would sugest that you replace any leacky airbag as soon as possible because delaying things will only make it worse. I've ruined my front ones two months ago, but since i had another problem, (expensive engine trouble), i waited until now to place the new airbags. Result: 2 new front bags, driver rear bag and a fried ECU.
    I'm putting the oem ones in the back, they're the same price as arnotts. Be carefull with the air gen II Vag com programing because the arnott bags make the van higher than the oem ones. So if you put the front ones, the allroad will be higher in the front. Audiworld forum has a good tutorial on how you do it. Look for allroad vag com suspension.
    Sliming my airbag did not help - presumably the leak was too large or it could have been near the top of the air spring where the slime did not go.

If you still want to give it a try it is fairly easy: Jack the front of the car (remember to put the car suspension in "jack mode"), remove the air line from the top of the air spring, and squirt the Slime into the spring. Refer to the excellent photos at the link to the step-by-step for spring replacement in my first post.

BTW, I did replace my springs with the Arnott Gen-II springs. It was easier than doing the brake pads - requiring about 3 hrs labor.

Good Luck!
  • audiaustinaudiaustin Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    el_doctor, I agree to replace leaky airsprings quickly as I had to learn the hard way that one leaky spring stresses other parts beyond normal wear. I had the front passenger bag replaced after driving with a leak on that side around for several months. Not replacing it quickly appeared to have damaged CV shaft L & R, lower control arm bushings L & R as well as upper forward arm L & R leaving me with a rather expensive repair. Moreover, when I got my allroad back the front driver side started leaking (occasionally!). The shop had warned me that the airsprings should always be replaced in pairs. This was my 1st time I gave my allroad a new OEM airspring. However, looking through the records I noticed the previous owner had them replaced 3(!) times already by an AUDI dealership before (AUDI did NOT replace them in pairs for some reason). Long story short, now (one year after replacing the passanger side) I had BOTH front airsprings replaced with Arnott Gen. II at a cost similar to replacing one OEM airspring. So far so good. I hope this note is helpful to someone. Learn from my mistakes/unawareness.
  • gutchgutch Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Great forum. I bought my wife an 03 Allroad and would like to lock the suspension in level 3 for good. Is this possible? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • raakaraaka Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the Slime tip, it worked for my Allroad. Now I have some more time to shop around the best place to replace the airbag.

The dealer here in San Jose CA charges for labour $175/h and they say it's 2h work per wheel. What do you think, does it really take 2h for a pro car mechanic in shop?

I've also got conflicting comments about wheel alignment, some shops say a wheel alignment is needed ($165), some say not necessary. Any advice on if wheel alignment is a must after replacing the air bag?
    Took me about 4 hours to do both my front airbags without the use of car lift. As I stated in a previous post, it was easier than doing my brakes!
  • fallriveraudifallriveraudi Member Posts: 1
    Steve,
    I also live in San Francisco and am the owner of a '04 4.2 Allroad with 108,000 miles on the odometer. I love the car and hope to keep it for many more years. Do you know of a good independent mechanic that would be willing to take care of my car (the suspension squeeks and sighs) on a long term basis? I am older, 63, and do not have the time or the skills to work on these newer cars. Thanks in advance.
  • duckrockduckrock Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I live in SF and work in Burlingame. Tango Automotive in San Mateo took care of my Audi when I worked in San Mateo, very honest and always the best price (they replaced my front axles for something like $200/side, cheaper than replacing the CV boots only!.
    They even installed my ARnott coil suspension and took out my air suspension.
  • dittditt Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Did you conclude that the $2.00 seal solved the problem? It is something I would like to try based on the problems I'm having. If it worked for you can you tell me how to get to it to replace it and what the part number was so I can order them. Thanks.
  • dittditt Member Posts: 2
    test
  • mcalkins3mcalkins3 Member Posts: 2
    I've concluded that after a year of watching a guy shell out money to fix his system...that it's getting the strut setup. The system is not meant to last the life of the vehicle, or even 100k. First I replaced the left front bag, then the right, then the compressor, then a leveler unit. Now the distribution unit has a bad internal sensor. If you have an all road, save your self the head ache and time behind the vagcom.. and dump it all.
  • alan66alan66 Member Posts: 1
  • raleighallroadraleighallroad Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for a great post, it was very informative.

I have an '04 with 99,500 miles on it and 13 months ago I experienced a LF leaking air bladder. I used 8 ounces of slime and the leak was sealed and functional until yesterday. I got 13 months and 18,000 miles of extra life for the cost of a $10.00 bottle of Slime.

Yesterday I tried repeating the slime solution to no avail. My experience was that the entire front end (both driver and passenger side) went beyond lowest position even though only the LF was leaking. I'm told that they will move in tandem even the one that is not leaking.

I know that Audi recommends replacing both but I've not heard a compelling argument for doing so. As your post said, Audi did not do it in pairs. My non-dealer Audi shop will use the OEM part ($750.00 plus labor) and I will then see if there is any change in handling. If so then I will also do the second one.

A possible source of my problem may have been that the local Jiffy Lube did not lock the suspension before lifting. This is known to cause problems with the air suspension. I've since turned over all my maintenance including oil changes to my local Audi shop.

My plans are to keep this car for another 100K miles, it is a tremendous vehicle that impresses me everyday with the way it runs and handles and I just have to swallow hard when the maintenance bills come calling.