Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• Options
    cj40cj40 Member Posts: 7
    I installed the deflectors on the front and side windows and they do keep the rain out.They're not hard to install, come with alcohol? to clean where you're going to mount them, they have an adhesive already applied that sticks very good, no screws or bolts.Just make sure to position the front ones properly or they'll create a noise from the air, instructions came with the ones I have.They look good on the silver ice X.

CJ
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For Edmunds' point of view, you can try this link: Can I compare vehicles side by side?

This link may work easier than yours, msiseng, if not as direct.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    If you're uneasy about sticking anything to the paint, Weathertech makes deflectors that fit into the window frames with no adhesive. It's hard to explain but they stay put and work well. There's just a tiny bit of sticky tape on the rear windows but its up inside the frame and not on the pain.
  • Options
    xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    I've got the ventvisor stick on type, they do the job and I like them. The only reason I didn't go with the weathertech type was I thought they may force the windows in our ice/snow mix slop. The fogging is still a mystery to me.

If you want a good Canadian Price guideline for stuff.. drop by http://www.soxc.org we have a parts area, complete with part # and prices and mini reviews. If you are in TO area. join.. if you are not, join anyway.

• Options
    kayakrkayakr Member Posts: 24
    I'm about to purchase a new Xterra XE or Blazer with 6-cylinder & automatic trannie, with 2WD. I've heard that the gas mileage in the Xterra is pretty bad. Just what is the mileage that readers here have gotten in this 2-wheel drive model? Also, comments on engine power or lack thereof (not to beat the #@*!!! out of dead horse). Thanks, from a potential X owner... RR
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    FYI, a more open exhaust will improve both, at the expense of maybe a little more noise and cost. It might be worth it to some people, and might pay for itself over a few years in gas savings...
  • Options
    mrghosmrghos Member Posts: 12
    Hey everyone! Real quick questions. I am in the market for an Xterra. I am pretty sure I want the SE. I live in the Atlanta area and want to know where to go to get a good deal. Also, I hear the 2002 is going to have a supercharger. Is this true? How does everyone like the current V6 and your X's in general.

Thanks and talk to you all soon...

Mrghos
  • Options
    msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    The current V6 is sluggish and uses a lot of gas. My highway mileage is under 17 mpg. Read the reviews on Edmunds and other boards. I think others are reporting mileage around 16 mpg.

You may want to think twice before purchasing this vehicle. Some people love the Xterra. My opinion is that it is middle of the road. Nothing great except for the looks, the off-roading capability (given a tire upgrade) and the price tag. Kind of like eating bland fish for every meal. It serves a purpose, but there is better food if you are willing to spend a little more money.

If you do buy the X, wait for the supercharger! I heard it is awesome and Nissan will warranty it, as well. I think the Frontier already has the supercharger? The Frontier is almost identical to the Xterra.

Hope this helps you make a decision. I guess it is all a matter of personal taste. My baseline came from owning three other SUVs...all of which were superior in my novice opinion. I regret the purchase and have nobody to blame but myself -- plain and simple. This will become a second automobile when I get something with more zip like the Pathfinder or the new Isuzu!

Steve, thanks for the better link!
  • Options
    mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Go to the forums section of www.xterraownersclub.com. There is tons of info on the X and people's opinion of it there. Make use of the search feature before posting any quesitons - most things have been covered at least once already. Also make sure that you use the correct categories when you do post - they all have descriptions to guide you. As for getting a good deal in Atlanta, look through the Dealerships forum and the Southeast Xterra Club forum - they should have some info for you.

I think that msiseng is in a small minority of not liking their X purchase. The X is not meant to be a luxury SUV; obviously, you can buy a "better" SUV if you want to shell out more bucks, but that's not what the X is trying to be.

When you decide between getting the current V6 and the 2002 Supercharger, test drive the V6 and judge it for yourself. While a lot of people want the extra power of the Supercharger, not many people have expressed a true need for it. I think the current V6 is just fine. Personally, I don't understand the intense desire of some to have fast, supercharged SUVs. To me, that's what sports cars are for. And while gas mileage with the current V6 is very comparable to every other SUV/truck on the market, I assume that mileage will only be worse with the Supercharger.

If you're looking for the biggest, fastest, most luxurious SUV, the X is not for you. If you're looking for an affordable, capable, and reliable SUV, the X is a great fit. Just don't expect, and don't be disappointed by the lack of, all the bells and whistles.

Mindie
  • Options
    Thank you for saying what I was thinking. First the person says that a supercharger will be better, then complains about the gas mileage.

I think a better route would be to take the existing engine, and add a cam, chip, and open exhaust, and that should add a bit of power right there.

Isn't the 3.0 V6 what Nissan used in the 300HP 300ZX?
  • Options
    Hey you guys. thanks for the input. I am not interested in going fast or worried about gas mileage but when I push the pedal I want it to have a bit of hop to it. And as the vehicle gets older I still want it to have a little hop to it. Just worried that if I buy the X now, I will be sorry I did not wait for the Supercharger. You know what I mean. Mindie thanks for the website address and thanks to all of you for your comments. Let me know if I need to consider anything else. I love the look and feel of the X. Also I wonder if the Jeep Liberty will take sales from the X? Hmmm...
  • Options
    Be aware that the supercharger requires premium gas. That will drain your pocket for sure. At least it does in the Frontier. Take a look at some reviews of the '01 supercharged Frontier crew cab, I think the general concensus was that it's got a little more power than the regular engine but is still not so great.

I am not criticising the regular engine either. I have had an X for a year now and couldn't be happier. I get 20-21 mpg but I seem to be the exception. It depends how you drive.
  • Options
    DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    I tought the 3.0/3.3 liter was used in the Maxima, not the 300ZX (I could be wrong though).
    Overall, one of Nissan's most dependable engine, but doesn't put out enough ponies and sucks gas. Just my 2 cents.

DTKWOK
    '91 Pathfinder XE
    121,000 miles
  • Options
    You guys are probably going to hate me for saying this but I have it narrowed down between the X and the Explorer Sport - Trac. It seems like you get more bang for your buck if you go with the Sport - Trac 4WD vs. the X - SE 4WD. 210 V6, usable sunroof, SUV and Pickup possibilities...etc
    SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

And be nice. No smart comments about looking at a "Ford" :-)
  • Options
    menswearmenswear Member Posts: 11
    I know the Pathfinder LE has the AWD. But is the 4wd system in the Xterra the same as the 4wd system in a Pathfinder XE or SE?

I really like the Xterra, but I heard you have to drive in REVERSE to unlock the 4wd. Do you have to this in a Pathfinder? Scenario question for you Xterra owners: If you are driving on a highway in 4wd while it is snowing. The snow stops, and the roads become dry. You are exiting off the highway, making a sharp turn. If you shift out of 4wd, and make a sharp turn, will you bind the axles and cause drivetrain rubbing since you didnt get a chance to drive in Reverse???

Also, when you fold down the rear seats, do the bottom seat cushions fit in back of the front seats, or do you have to stow them somewhere else?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ed doesn't seem too impressed with the Sport....

Did you see the Long Term X test linked at the top?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    wokie1wokie1 Member Posts: 1
    Have had our new Xterra SE for about 30 days now. Was wondering if anyone has found anything to make the ride a little softer, shocks,air bags, or any suspension items? I know this is a real SUV and like it, but I do spend a great deal of time on the pavement.
  • Options
    xterawanterxterawanter Member Posts: 7
    The tops of the back seat do fit nicely in front of the seat when you fold them down so that is notproblem.

It is true you have to drive in reverse to unlock the hubs however I don't think you will bind the axles because no power is being transferred to the front diff. If I remember correctly the binding is caused when power is put to the front diff. When you go around a turn the front tires are supposed to slip a bit as they will in mud, snow, ice, etc. Please anyone else help me if I am incorrect. I have had mine in and out of 4 wheel drive and only noticed the added torque when it is actually in 4 wheel drive going around corners. When out of 4 wheel drive with the hubs locked I have not been able to feel the torque. Again I am no expert but this was covered a while ago and I think I got it right. xcanuk should be able to answer you correctly if I am wrong.

Paul
    2001 Super Black XE 3 pack auto @2000 Miles.
  • Options
    drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    Give it at least a thousand miles for the suspension to loosen up and break in. The xterra's ride is better and more compliant compared to other SUV's but if you rally want softer ride you might want to try what I did. Well, not exactly the same coz mine is a Rodeo.

I installed MONROE MATIC PLUS shocks which I ordered from A-1shocks.com for 70+ bucks for a set of four. You might not find xterra application but you can order the Frontier's shocks. Both share the same underpinnings.

Beware of other lines like Sensatrac or magnum, these are NOT soft shocks.
  • Options
    Thanks I saw the long term report and it was very impressive. What do YOU think about waiting for the SC V6 vs. getting one now with the current engine?

Also you referenced the link to the Explorer Sport. I was talking about the Sport - Trac.
  • Options
    I'm not the expert, just one of the old timers that have stuck with this board.

As far as the 01, 02 debate.. the supercharger is nice, but not needed, in most cases, the X has enough ponies to get you going, but naturally everyone wants more. If needed, there is enough to play with on the 01 to get a little more spunk out of it, air, exhaust etc if you want to go that route, then again, you can do it to the sc version as well. You'll have the new looks to the 02 ( a personal choice if you like it ) and some people want the latest version of anything. Above all, the X has to match what you want and what you do.. just going on the looks of the X might leave you disappointed.
    The X is a 4x4.. and I get the same mileage as all the other suv's I had.. a shocker for anyone coming from a car situation.
    Ford & X.. well.. even the new explorer announced its first recall, a friend is a Ford-man, and I heard enough of his stories.. there is bang for the buck..but will you be banging against the Ford dealer every month ?? I've had my X for over a year, and only had to deal with oil changes.
    Locking hubs and 4x4 system.. old topic, xterawanter has it right. Think of it as a 2 stage system. You engage the 4x4 system ( on demand ) you have traction front & back.. hubs are now locked. On straight line driving and dry conditions, you can leave it in 4x4, it will tolerate curves, but in 90deg turns ( dry ) you will feel some resistance as the wheels fight the unequal turning radius. At any time, you can go into 4x2 mode.. and go back and forth as you wish, as you are going forward.. the hubs will be locked, but you will eliminate the binding factor. The reverse factor, is just to unlock the hubs, which is the prime running mode if you plan to stay in 4x2.
    Suspension: Blistein shocks seem to be "the" choice, sway bars, leafs in the back, different "on-road" tires, the list is almost endless. Also playing with tire pressure, some dealers have over-inflated the tires, ( check them ) and the X does break a little smoother in time.
    Got carried away here.. its sunny and warm here.. time to play with what I'm talking too much about.
  • Options
    You are my hero...

Just came back from a test drive of a loaded SE 4x4, Black, tow hitch, etc., license, tag, title, etc... for $26,900. What do you think? I loved the current engine and dont think the SC will be necessary.

I am almost there... Now time to haggle a bit...

I had heard about the recalls on the Fords. And I am really not trying to "bang" my head against the dealer either...

Thanks a million.

Mrghos
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't comment on U.S. prices, you guys still have 101 versions, paks, models & types. In 2000 we only had one X to pick from, a 4x4 semi Xe.. in 2001 we had a unique Xe, & Se.. 4x4. I'll leave someone else for the U.S. market prices.. edmund's, carpoint and a few other sites might give the price guideline. Just rememeber, sticker price isn't everything.. trade ins, interest rates are other ways for dealers to play with you.

BTW.. its plain old Xcanuk.. no "c".. a typo to start with, sort of... but I stick to it across all the boards.
  • Options
    I called myself checking it before I sent it... My bad... Thanks for the heads up. I have great financing thru my credit union and dont have a trade in... Now all I need to do is find somebody to buy my Harley and I can get the X. Thought about trading in the Harley but I know I would get molested...
  • Options
    Ok now I have a price from a local dealer of $24,400 for a loaded black SE automatic with, tow hitch, splash guards, floor mats and auto dimming mirror. That is $2500 less than the other guy.

Man I hate buying cars...
  • Options
    After a house, a car/truck is the next biggest thing you'll buy. But look at the brighter side, once you get your X, it will be a good long while before you'll want to trade it in.
  • Options
    I haven't paid attention to the prices since I bought my X a year ago but your best bet is to check edmunds for the dealer invoice and negotiate from there. $24,400 for a loaded auto doesn't sound bad.
  • Options
    $24,400 is a great deal! Doubt you will find better. You can rest easy with that price and smile :-)

I am probably in the minority as Mindie mentioned, just trying to give prospective purchasers a different point of view. It never hurts to see differing viewpoints from different prospectives.

Explorer vs. X? For all my troubles with the XTERRA (made on a Monday morning before the American Thanksgiving), I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER buy another Ford. Take a BIG ZERO, multiply it with customer service and what is the answer? How many recalls do you want to endure? When you do get the recall notice, the parts take weeks to arrive.

Whatever happened to those of us who bought tires to replace the Firestone tires? Did Ford reimburse us? Was it our fault they did not have other tires to put on the Explorer? Ford Corporate said: "Wait four months for replacements and inflate your existing tires to 30 psi." What the heck is that when people are dying?

What about the sway bar links that are cracking on 1996 Explorer Sports? Ford knew for three years and just recalled the 1996 models under pressure from governing agencies. Funny thing is: one has to wait a month for the parts to arrive. What does one drive in the meantime?

Even if I think the X is a bland automobile and my X had a cracked engine (minority, again), I would spend my hard-earned money on another Nissan product! Cannot beat the Pathfinder or the Maxima! Many on this board have the opinion that you cannot beat the X!

At least Nissan Corporate has good customer service and the current CEO is stressing how important customer service is. Ford gets you out the door and you are just another number...HISTORY! You think they want to hear from you again? They do not look to retain you as a customer again.

One thing I can say: Nissan Corporate does care and wants to retain customers. Their treatment has been very professional and after owning a Ford, this is a breath of fresh air!

Enough said. Peace to all and enjoy your stylish vehicles!
  • Options
    I've got no problems going for another SUV, ( except maybe Ford ) I might own an X, but it was exactly what I had been waiting for. Getting one based solely on looks, may leave you on the short side of the stick. (Ok, the looks were a bonus, and it doesn't look like an azteck )
    This is my first Nissan, after 5 Toyotas, and so far impressed. I have to admit, my happiness is due in part of switching dealers, if I stuck with my original point of purchase dealer, I might be singing a different tune.
  • Options
    Silverxglider: I did check Edmunds and the price without, lic.,tag and title is 25k. My price of 24,400 has lic, tag and title included. Thanks for the heads up.

Msiseng: Thanks for all the information. Hey you would not by any chance have lived in Ohio at any time in your life did you? Saw your profile and I have an old friend of the family named Blake that lives in MD. Hmmm... Let me know...

Take care everyone. . .
  • Options
    punchbowlpunchbowl Member Posts: 6
    My beloved 2000 I was totaled by my husband a month ago as a reckless idiot Camaro crashed into our X. My husband now wants to get a RAV4, primarily for gas mileage reasons. Our X got around 16 mpg, and the Rav4 gets around 24. So far, the only argument I could come up with was that in our state, ABS is not available on any Rav4s. Does anyone know just how important ABS brakes are? Are they just another hype, and if so, how come we don't see those RAV4s piling up on the freeway. I could use any ammunition available, the concept of the RAV4 is really making me sick!!!
  • Options
    Dealers? Isn't that where you BUY a car? I haven't been to a car dealer since I bought my Civic in 1992. What is this fascination with car dealers?

I looked at the RAV4, and decided it was good for everything except towing and 4X4. It is nice otherwise. When you asked about ABS, you did not mention where you live. I think ABS is nice, but not necessary if you know how to drive responsibly. In fact, many people complain that it increases your stopping distance. If I got a car with ABS, I'd make sure it has an override switch so I can defeat it when I want to (most of the time). I live in MA by the way.

Still looking at Xterras, Troopers, Wranglers, and Rangers. Also, just saw a nice 2000 Montero, but I don't want to tick off Dad (Mitsubishi made the Zero fighter which attacked Pearl Harbor, among other things. Then again, I think Honda made tanks. ?)
  • Options
    jktottenjktotten Member Posts: 13
    I have this reddish/brown powdery substance collecting on my tires on the X. It's located on the side of the tires, and it's on 2 rear tires, and on the passenger front tire. It's getting more predominant the more that I drive.

Has anyone else had this forming on their tires? What is it, and what is causing it?
  • Options
    I would guess its brake dust, but usually found on the front rims ( disc ), can't think of it being heavy enough to stain the tires though. Drive through anything strange lately, some dry earth might leave the same residue. If you can wash it off, watch if it comes back, then maybe there is a mechanical cause to it.. I'm blank for now.
  • Options
    punchbowlpunchbowl Member Posts: 6
    It's in Hawaii that you CANNOT order a RAV4 with ABS at all. Since we're in the middle of the ocean, if we cannot get it here, we pretty much cannot get it anywhere. I'm just appalled that Toyota would allow such BS, considering their reputation for safety and reliability. I seriously wonder what Consumer Reports would have to say about recommending this vehicle as the top small SUV, when customers cannot get such basic safety features as ABS on it. For a car that's over $20K, it sure has a lot of irritating drawbacks, such as the back bumper that's molded into the gate, the low window control buttons on the door that are impossible to operate while driving, the position of the cupholders, the small and hard to read speedometer, etc, etc. Shame on Toyota or the Hawaii Toyota dealership! BTW, in Hawaii, you cannot order cars from the Internet, either! Simply "not available."
  • Options
    The spare tire on the back of the RAV4 door makes it a death trap! If the RAV4 is hit from behind, the entire rear crumples due to the spare tire mount. This impacts passengers in the rear seat. Do you have a child? Would you put your child in the back of that? The Xterra mounts the spare under the truck which is a very smart safety design.

I liked the RAV4, but did not purchase it for this reason. Ask your husband what is more important: safety or gas mileage?
  • Options
    Not from Ohio, but my out-laws, I mean in-laws live there. Born and raised around Washington, DC.

Again, the price of $24,400 is great! Take it and run! Use the savings to put a good set of BFG AT ko tires on the truck.
  • Options
    johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    i'm looking for a reputable dealer in the twin cities of minnesota. i can't quite get the right impression from stopping in at a couple dealers. i'm hoping someone here has purchased in minnesota and is happy with their dealer?

-johnskev
  • Options
    shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    never heard of such a thing.....
  • Options
    Many (some?) cars have a switch on the dash which you can press which turns off the ABS.

Alternatively, you can pull out the fuse for ABS.
  • Options
    Thanks for getting back to me. I think I may have to go buy the truck now...
  • Options
    I've heard/seen switches for front airbags, but never ABS.. wanna list one truck/car that does. With the never models, generally, I was under the impression just about everything came with ABS and no longer an option ( at least the weather is nicer in Hawaii ) As far as pulling the fuse, could be done, but don't think I'd want to be in a rain slick situation and then realize the fuse is out. As far as ABS itself, it has its place as a safety feature, but nothing stops you faster as brake lockup in dry conditions running straight, but that one strong point is far and few between.
    Rav and X.. apples and oranges, gas is one thing, but if you have to make 2 trips in a Rav to carry cargo.. there goes your gas savings. BTW.. would your hubby have walked away as easy if he wrecked a Rav ? ( glad he did )
  • Options
    Audi

Apparently this is not as common as I thought (or wished). Maybe I _did_ get it mixed up with SRS (airbag) defeat switch.
  • Options
    However, for more info, check these out:

http://www.4x4abc.com/

4WD101/ABS_offroad.html

http://www.pca.org/mst/

lapdance3.htm

http://www.audifans.com/archives/ 1996/04/msg00714.html

• Options
  • Options
    http://www.findarticles.com/m3102/n5_v117/20598087/p1/article.jhtml

Be sure to check them ALL out, they are very informative and all very DIFFERENT articles. Some for 4X4's, some for cars, some are general. Hey, I bothered to find them, you can at least look.

P.S. Some of the url's might have a space you need to remove before trying the web site. The BBS software wouldn't take it otherwise.

• Options
    kayakrkayakr Member Posts: 24
    I am likely to be buying the I after all (extremely bad experience with dealer while trying to buy the Blazer!). I have prices from two different dealers at $21,700- for the EX auto/6cyl with six pack, side molding, mud flaps, floor mats. Edmonds pricing is a little over that. How does that price sound to you experienced owners out there? I'm in the central Florida (Orlando) area. Also - once again - how about the gas mileage & engine power??? AR
  • Options
    johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    i know these questions pop up frequently, but i haven't seen many answers to them.

have people been getting their xterras for above invoice? at invoice? below invoice? i have a quote of 25 574 for an xterra with almost all the options (no grill guard or protection package), tmv is 25 329. but invoice is 25 070. i'm in the midwest, minnesota to be exact. is it realistic to shoot for invoice? thanks for any replies.