Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• xsexse Member Posts: 66
    thanks for the # steve,
    i called them and they said that since it was not a known problem, it does not exist.

no help at all.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    LOL, you must have gotten the person who trains those service managers who always say "sorry ma'am, we couldn't reproduce the problem. That'll be $80".

Anyone else wanna check their jack length and report in?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• marlboroguymarlboroguy Member Posts: 17
    Just wanted to respond to a few posts:

Xcanuk (Don): Didn't mean to make you feel old :)
    but you are almost like a 'founding member' aren't you?, lol..
    Also, regarding the flat tire....I would be on my cell phone so fast your head would spin (I have that Texaco road assistance membership), especially if it was on the Mass Pike or 128 (for those of you who know Eastern Mass)...never mind launching the jack in the woods, I would be HIDING in the woods, so I wouldn't get run over or smashed into!!

Silverglider (Diane): Don't feel gray and aged about your not having an '02....I still have the '00...haven't yet purchased the '02...will keep all posted :)

Doverlxa(Ben): hmmm, Ben and Dover??? I won't go there, lol...anyway, just wanted to say thanks for bringing up the 3.9%/4.9% (Thanks for your info too Janipoo--Janet!)....I will check with my dealer, I have to call them back, they are in the process of locating one for me and I was quoted a rate much higher than that a few weeks ago...will let you know what I find out.

Hotcoffee (John): Just a note to say I love your animated graphics...

Kenobisan (Benjamin): May the force be with you!
    For the '02....DON'T pay $1200 over invoice. The dealer where I am potentially purchasing mine has quoted me INVOICE!!! I will reconfirm back. I don't want to list the dealership unless they approve of it, so I will get back to you. It is located in Massachusetts, but I see you are in CA...oh well, maybe a road trip is in order, lol.

Chat Later,
    Marlboroguy (Albert)
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    I hated the jack, lug wrench, the whole process from day one when I first got my X. ( Yes.. I'm one of those anal people than jacks his X , just to know how ) I'm still not confident with the suggested jack point for the front of the X either... the jack reaches its max point to get clearance ( with the jack on a perfect flat surface ).
    I never had to change a flat yet and it was xse that brought it to my attention... he is right too tall. I'm making/made 2 adapters to correct this problem.. a locking pin to grab the lower arm for the front, and a half pipe with a pin to grab the rear axle.. the head of the jack has a hole in the center.. so its easy to swap.
    As far as the lug wrench, I bought a gorilla bar.. easy to store as original, extends to 18"± for leverage.
  • grisouegrisoue Member Posts: 18
    Did it strike anybody that the X ranked 5th (of 6) overall for cargo? On a positive note, it ranked 2nd in braking, while being the heaviest, by far.

I was a little vexed that towing capacity was not at all considered. If these mini-SUVs are to be considered as alternatives to mid-size SUVs, then people should be aware of all the tradeoffs.

So for all here, I've gathered the following info regarding towing (in pounds):
    Xterra & Liberty: 5000
    Escape: 3500
    XL7: 3000
    Santa-Fe: 2200
    Rav4: 1500

I'm not saying everyone wants to tow, but isn't SUV ownership about being ABLE to do a lot of stuff (without necessarily doing it)?
  • doverlxadoverlxa Member Posts: 15
    Hey Albert -

Yes, it's true...you have figured out the little joke with my name. I'm surprised it has taken people this long. Regardless, please tell me who is offering "at invoice." I would love to know...I'm in the process of pricing now...Is it Steve at Marlboro Nissan??? You know, Xcanuk..you would think I would break down and call him but I am trying to avoid the road trip..I know it would be fun but I'm feeling lazy...but if it's going to save me a few thousand then I'm in the car tomorrow. LOL

Thanks,
    BEN
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    I thought the TIRES ranking so high was the BIGGEST joke- but then I realized the Supercharged Xterra with the 17" rims have Firestone Firehawks- which are a far cry from General Grabbers, on the XE and SE. (they would have come in a "lone last"...
  • kenobisankenobisan Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any insider info or speculation about the first re-design of the Xterra. Will the pathy motor ever be brought over to the Xterra?
    i heard rumor that an all-new xterra was coming in the '05 model year.
    there is already an xterra with the 240hp v6 (a prototype) and i'm sure they will put it in the xterra.

for the record:
    '00- the best and original!
    '01- dashboard change, minor changes
    '02 - facelift, interior change, minor changes, supercharger intro

i am hopeful that the '03 or '04 xterra will have the pathy motor in it
  • kenobisankenobisan Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, xse. The project X looks great. I like the idea of the VQ in the X.
    The pathfinder is quite close in price to the SC/SE that I was looking at, but I can't seem to justify the expense of the old-tech 3.3 motor in there for the price. As a turbo-car owner, I have my misgivings on another purchasing a forced induction product for the sake (in this case) of getting all the fun upgrades on the SE/SC.
    I don't want the general price point of the Xterra to shift, but rather the SC with the VQ motor would be great option for the SE trim-level truck anyway.

I'd like to hear some opinions from the regulars here (+ lurkers)
  • jnutter2jnutter2 Member Posts: 5
    Has anybody else had problems with the Waterproof Seat covers. I went surfing, got out of the water. waited about 10 min got in my Xterra and Drove for about15 min. when I took the Seat covers off my seats were completely soaked. These things don't work worth a dam. Will Nissan take them back if I return them.
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    The problem with the Nissan seat covers is that they are not entirely waterproof - only the center black section is. Whether or not you can return them will probably depend greatly on how good your dealership's customer service is. If you're interested in getting fully waterproof seat covers, try www.wetokole.com. They do come at a price, but everyone I've heard of with them loves them. HTH.

Mindie :o)
    Ben,
    I can't believe no one else picked up on your name joke (not a lot of people look at the profile I guess)...Plus, I live in Mass, near towns like Dover and Holden!!!
    I am in negotiations with the dealer as we speak. It isn't with Steve at Marlboro, although that's where I got the 2000 and got a good deal with them (but not as low as invoice...it was tough to get them that low when they first came out).
    I will let you know the details, as I should be hearing really soon! Also, the financing is the 3.9/4.9% range now, depending on your financing period.
    Hey Marlboroguy -

Hope to hear from you soon about that deal. I am getting really close to my purchase time. Being that I just graduated from school, I needed to save some cash for a little while.

By the way, I know where Dover and Holden are. Although I have never been to Mass. I am an honorary New Englander (claimed so by my college friends) but my heart still stays in FL. It's in my plans to move to Boston (Framingham) or the NH/MA border area (i.e. Nashua, Manchester area...I have been there) Plus, I'm irish so I belong in New England. Regardless, I love the area and you are lucky to live there...but not as lucky as me...FL is great!

BEN
    Everyone must be REALLY busy lately! It's not too often that this board'll go for days without any posts, though it is happening more often now than it used to. Anyway, I hope everyone's out having fun with their X's! I'll be having fun in other people's X's this weekend - I'm flying out to Portland and meeting up with some GOX friends for the last PNWX xcursion of the year. It's my birthday present to myself!

Mindie
    Have a good trip Mindie... Happy Pre-Lated B-day.. good gift to yourself... ( I know pics will follow )
  • janipoojanipoo Member Posts: 18
    I put a deposit on a new 2002 Xterra today that I can pick up tomorrow. It took me a while to find one but I can't wait; I feel I am getting a good deal at 22,478 for an XE 2X2 with power, utility and sport package plus floor mats, splash guards, micro-filter, side moldings, grill guard and that $200. mirror.

Also if anyone is interested, Nissan is offering a $500. rebate and 3.9% for 60 months on 2002 Xterra's. So I still get another $500. off. I can't wait to drive it home.

BTW-I am getting it in Silver.

Janet
  • xtirol9xtirol9 Member Posts: 27
    POST MORE MESSAGES! Thank you. :-)
    THEN ASK MORE QUESTIONS ! COMMENTS !! Anyone adding slight custom mods.. lets see, just because I like the little things.. dual lights on the front, reverse lights, stereo. consoles. bike racks, roof bins, carrying stuff, rims, tires... since the X is so popular.. what have you done to make sure you know your X is your own ???
    Hi Ben,
    I am confirming that I am indeed getting my 2002 SE S/C 4x4 5sp for invoice cost ($26.1k) The sticker price is $27.9k. This price includes the sun roof and the tow hitch. There was some slight discrepancy with my original calculations, as I was looking at Kelly Blue Book, which is slightly off from the invoice the dealer has...The dealer is looking for the Gold Rush color for me as we speak. The Dealer is Bancroft Motors in Worcester, MA (about 20 mins from where you may move (Framingham??). They are also giving me free lifetime oil changes, which you can't beat!!!
    The guys at Marlboro will not be happy with me, and I know they read this stuff!!! (as I previously leased two Pathy's and bought my first X there), but I just happened to go to Bancroft with a friend one day and things just happened for the good!
    I will probably be adding on the front grille, as well as get a few accessories....such as the rubber floor mats (for winter muck), front water resistant seats (for when I am beaching it...noting jnutter and mindie responses) and the rear cargo organizer (so sh*t isn't flying around in the back as usual)...
    Also, congrats to Janipoo on your new purchase!
    Hey, has anyone seen the new Xterra with the World championship package? It comes with the bike rack and supposly a $1500 bike. Or even the Extreme package; I am not sure what all extra is with that one but it has leather seats. The dealership had one with the world championship package but it didn't have the sport package I also wanted. These packages aren't that much more that is why if it had everything else I wanted I would of negotiated(the bike would of made a great christmas present for my daughter).

JANET
    The K2 bike in the champ edition is a 500$ bike with 1000$ sticker. ( great for your daughter, but I wouldn't call it a 1500$ component bike ) Can't remember how much more they want for that edition, ( Base X + interior rack for 2 + seat covers + mup flaps + bike ), but get the prices for the accessories from xterrastore.com or xterraparts.com, but add 500$ for the bike and see where you stand. BTW.. interior racks are a waste IMO.. I made my own for 30$ (give or take) and can fit 3 bikes, but I only use it in emergencies.
    But if you already have an X, and you're in NH ( or there abouts ).. how come we haven't crossed paths.. or have we, but I'm so bad with real names, I just don't know it. Hope the 02 will correct the problem ;)
    Thanks,
    We probably haven't crossed paths as I don't spend a lot of time in NH, except maybe to drive through it to get to Maine beaches....(I am from MASS...no comments!!!).
    I need to get out more...have to get my suburban/city self in an outdoor mode!!! I probably should join one of those Xterra clubs!
    Most of the time, I've been using the X for lugging people and stuff, going to the beaches on the Cape, and very limited off-road activities, i.e. carrying my mountain bike around and going on a few trails...but I will plan on changing that for 2002...
    Will let you know if I plan on heading north or thereabouts...
    Later :)
    But I lump Vermont, NY, NJ, Mass, ( yes, I dropped in on Steve ) New Hampshire together... I've rolled through each seperately, and all of them as one trip...+ one other state ( forgot which ) Can't say I've hit Maine yet. Check in with nexterra.org and you don't have to be a mud-head to have fun.
    Well Marlboroguy -

I may be moving to MA sooner than expected. I was on Monster last night and found a great job in Framingham...for Staples. We'll see what happens. I applied...Since I have two job possibilities on the horizon I'm going to hold off on my purchase. I need to make sure the X will still fit my lifestyle.

BEN
    BTW, thanks for the info on Bancroft.
    I got to bring my baby home last night. As every new mother would say "It was love at first sight". I feel I got a great deal 22,478, plus an additional $500 rebate. The MRSP was 24,330. I didn't get the 4X4 since I have the luxury of working from home and don't have to venture out in the snow. Snow really doesn't make me nervous, it's all of the other idiots out there that can't drive in dry weather and just have to venture out in bad weather; besides I live in MD and it is not like we get lots of snow. I really like the looks of the grill and T-guards on it though.

Thanks Xcanuk, for the websites; I can't wait to check them out.

I had read on this board about people making excuses about having to go out, so they could drive their X's; I thought it was a little exaggerated. But damn! It's 6:30 in the morning and none of the stores are open yet. Maybe I should just drive by and double check (lol).
    i noticed in your earlier post you called your x a 2x2! first time i heard that one :) so, when do you get the other 2 wheels?

most people say 2x4 (which is a plank of wood) but i think you should tell people you have a 4x2 so they dont think youre driving a soapbox racer!;)
    That was a typo; I noticed it after I posted it. Either way I think I would still be happy if I only had 2 wheels.
    ok janipoo, i know you just got back from sitting in the garage staring at the dashboard for an hour, contemplating whether you should bust out a bag and sleep in the back! ;)

congrats on your new x- hope you enjoy it
    go back the 2 years, almost... sitting in the X over and over again, in the front, in the back, on the curb... just staring... enough that most neighbours thought we were psycho's ;). OK.. I still do it at times.
    At least we get to look at the X in a new light, and not follow the standard when it comes to mods. Anyone who is planning to rack the X for gear.. email xse, he's got a good site. If you want other ideas... www.geocities.com/x_canuk.
    Good to see the influx of '02's
    I am still waiting for mine to be located!!!!

Xcanuk...don't feel bad...most of the West Coast lump all of the New England States together, as if they were one State...I have heard of some people who actually thought New England was a State! You aren't as bad as most of us in the U.S., who generally can't name all the Canadian provinces, nevermind even where they are located!
    Thanks and will check the Nexterra.org site.

Doverlxa...good luck on your job search. I know a few people at Staples. They are a very large employer here. Depending on what kind of company / job you want, other large employers to try:
    TJX Companies (TJMaxx, Marshalls, etc) in Framingham, Reebok in Canton, Fidelity Investments in Marlboro and Boston, 3Com in Marlboro, Bose Corporation in Framingham, New Balance in Boston....just to name a few.
    Okay, sorry to drone on about a non X topic....back to it:

Janipoo...LOL on the 2x4 comment. Also, 'new car smell' is also quite an aphrodesiac ...well, almost :)
    Considering my average trip is 6 hours one way, I just find the pocket of states for New England are nothing more than an easy commute. There should be a week-end ski trip sometime this winter with Nexterra.. no confirmed details yet.
    ah yes, the long forgotten new car smell (replaced with dirt/dog & road trip dorito fart-smell)

i have to admit it was cool for a while there- i got mine in 1999, so there were none around and only a few at the dealerships. everyone was looking, asking questions, giving me the thumbs up... think about it, at that time, it was the very first time anyone had ever seen it- so it was like an exotic or something. anyway, i still love it and it has done well by me. im so glad it has become such a cult vehicle.

its like a good leather jacket, you know.
    Gotta love the seat covers for that.. once a year, a good wash and the smell returns.. I just have to find a solution for the "fur storms" inside the X after having the dogs with me.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Wait a minute. Isn't Canada part of New England?

:-)
    Great.. no exchange, and I could stop smuggling beer and poutine across the border ;)
    lol, and keep your gravy off my fries, thank you very much.

Steve
    Host

French Fries and Gravy..yum...
    We had a diner in Marlborough...it was well known for its ff and gravy with late night (drunken) diners, LOL....is that a Canuck thing (the ff, not the late night drunken thing, lol)? Could be, since Marlborough has a "French Hill" and a lot of French-Canadian decendents.
    PS, what is Poutine?
    They have it elsewhere, but those are imitations ;) basically Fries + cheese curds + gravy. The fries are dark, the gravy is thick and the cheese is semi gooey lumps. MMMM good, your heart will clog if eaten more than once.
    I actually have outstanding orders for the cheese each time I cross the border.. and beer.
    One hint.. if ever you decide to order it here, be careful "how" you pronounce it. You might get your face slapped because you called the waitress a B....
    LOL, Xcanuk, thanks for the warning...I was actually thinking of how similar it sounded to putana (Ital) or putain..LOL..
    PS, I am still waiting for my X to show up at the dealer....I told them I would be patient for the first choice color, which is Gold Rush.
  • grisouegrisoue Member Posts: 18
    We also have Italian Poutine, in which the gravy is replaced by spaghetti sauce. There, now everyone here can carry a poutine conversation anytime.
    Pretty soon you guys will be putting that other red stuff on your fries (ketchup we call it, or catsup...). btw, the best food in NA is in Quebec - also the worst truck drivers, but I digress. Seems to be a lot of digression in here lately.

Anyone gone to the diner in their X lately?

Steve
    Host

Another reason for seat covers ! ( lame attempt to get back on track ) as far as the worst truck drivers, at least we can swear at you in 2 languages ;)

We left the red stuff off our fries, but we use mayo. Hamburgers with cream cheese, everything else we just add maple syrup.
    Back to the X.. wish it had a real tailgate instead of a hatch... makes eating out easier.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    The hatch is good because it keeps the rain off when you're sitting on the bumper eating.

And yes, Quebec and Montreal really do have the best food in this entire part of the world.

But hamburgers with cream cheese is just wrong.
    with the selection of restaurants and the choice of food, I could easier outrun the warranty on my X driving from one place to another.
    I crossed my eyes the first time I heard of the hamburger & cream cheese.. but it is good. Maybe in another 10 years it will trickle down to the states.
    Here's a link to the few pictures I took while out with the PNWX club in Naches, WA last weekend.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292300215

Mindie :o)

• hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    Sorry, wrong forum, I wasn't looking for food talk.

Can you point me to the Xterra board?

: - )
    Heh, I see you lurking over in the Liberty discussion trying to get your SUV talk fix. Maybe you need to hop in that X and visit your namesake town to drum up some posts?

Steve
    Host

Who actually uses the rack on the X ?? ( holding on to it while washing the roof doesn't count )

Nice pics Mindie