Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Brakes

Comments

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Well, my '04 Camry has rather mushy feeling brakes, but after 45K miles, I haven't crashed yet! ;)

(It was hit while parked, but obviously that doesn't count.)
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,679
    Glad to hear you agree. I also agree with you about the so-called "sludge" problem.
  • geffengeffen Posts: 278
    It must be hit or miss in the Camry's with the brake issues, I personally prefer a firm pedal when it comes to stopping, theres nothing like having the feeling of uncertainty when you're traveling on the freeway and exiting at the off ramp and the brakes feel like they barely want to stop the car.
    Never seen a safety issue with the brakes on Camrys, just a different feel for some people.
    Agree, it's not like your going to blow through the stop sign at the end of the exit ramp!

I've experienced the start of brake master cylinder failure (on my former '77 Impala), and the Camry is nothing like this: when you approach a typical stop, you apply the brakes in the usual manner, and for a split second, NOTHING happens. Your heart skips a beat. Then the brakes kick in.

As it got worse, I knew it wasn't a mind game, and I realized after the initial press on the pedal with no response, you had to pump again (and again, if necessary). But of course I got the master cylinder replaced as soon as possible.
    To me it comes down to stopping distance and the Camry's i've test drove very well could've had brake issues, i've never driven a car that would have brakes that you have to really apply so much pressure just to stop the car, most other cars have firm pedals. My concern is I wouldnt want to be the person that does blow through a stop sign at the end of an exit ramp because im stomping on the brakes to stop. This has sort of swayed me away from looking at a Camry to purchase.
  • On 4 occasions the brakes seem to fail. When the brakes are applied there is no pressure in the pedal and it goes all the way to the flood. Pumping them does not help, the pedal just goes right to the floor without slowing or stopping the car. Always while traveling at lower speeds. Took it to the dealer as well as Firestone and other than 1 occasion where the brake fluid level was low, they could not find anything wrong.

Has ANYONE had or heard of this problem?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I'd say it had to be the brake master cylinder.

If the caliper's were sticking and not squeezing, you'd have a hard pedal with no braking.

If the calipers or any of the lines had a leak, you'd have no brake pedal (like you had), but you'd be way low on brake fluid and there would be brake fluid all over something or dripping on the ground where you park.

So I think the only thing left is the master cylinder, which when depressed is not pushing the fluid out. Why it only happens at low speed, is beyond me.

If it was me, I'd make sure you knew how to stop with the parking brake in an emergency. Unfortunately, the 2007 is a locking one without a hand release....so that will make it extremely difficult to use as an "emergency" brake. You'll probably end up locking up the rears. Take it out in a clear parking lot and try what you'd have to do if your brakes failed again. (This made me think that I need to do the same).
  • 650spx650spx Posts: 48
    I have seen a few times the master cylinder leak into the brake booster. The master cylinder has to be removed to check.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 57,827
    i agree with kiawah, it can only be the master cylinder---probably an internal defect. Very freaky that BOTH circuits in the master would fail. I am staggered, shocked and amazed that the dealer would not swap out that master cylinder pronto, given the safety issues here.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• teamtboteamtbo Posts: 78
    robert, wow, you are much more patient then me. If my brakes completely failed, I would drop of the car that same day at the dealer and demand my money back or a new car. I mean this is the most dangerous thing that can happen - you could have been killed or killed someone else! I guess the only hard part is reproducing the failure to prove to the dealer that it really happened and you just didn't get a bad case of buyers remorse.

My wife and I bought a used 4 Runner several months ago and it had the front brakes replaced. Turns out the mechanic forgot to bolt the calipers on...so several miles away from the used car dealership, the ABS locked up as we approached a 4 way stop. It freaked my wife and I out big time! Anyway, we demanded a refund because I knew every time we put the brakes on after that, we would be worrying about the same thing happening. Good luck!
    I would've taken the 07 Camry back to the dealership where you purchased it at the first failure in the brakes, this should be covered under warranty, most Camry's ive test driven had spongy brakes and thats what steered me clear of Camrys even though I wanted one I surely did not want to take a chance at getting into a fatal accident.
    geffen, yes, my Camry has spongy brakes as well...that is a great way to describe them. We brought it to the dealership a couple of days ago to have them checked out, but they said the usual "can't find anything wrong with them". The other major issue we are having is the shift flare has come back after we had the tranny replaced. I am working with my dealership now to trade in the Camry for a 2007 Highlander. I never thought I would be trading in my brand new Camry with only 3700 miles!

By the way, we test drove a 2007 Highlander SR5 on Thursday and the brakes were very responsive. I told my wife, "see, this is how they are supposed to be." Now she knows why I complained about our Camry's brakes. Glad to know that my Camry isn't the only one with spongy brakes.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 211
    I do not understand "spongy". I touch the brake pedal and the car slows down with very little pressure. I have had to make a more sudden stop only once or twice, and all times the brakes brought the car to a perfect stop.Are you refering to this light touch braking? If not, what do you mean by spongy.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 570
    The pedal will feel mushy instead of firm.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 211
    A firm feel,meaning additional pressure would be needed to bring the car to a stop. I understand what you mean, I just don't see the advantage.OH well.....to each his own. I really like the Camry brakes just as they are.
    Most brakes are firm meaning when you apply pressure to the brakes they slow the car and you can control the car much better, spongy brakes are a very light or brakes that feel as if you have to put them to the floor to stop the car, some people don't mind these type of brakes, however I prefer the firm brake pedal.
    I have no problems with my Camry's brakes. In fact, the Camry's 60-0 braking distance is better than the Accord or Fusion. Spongy FEEL, I don't think so, but even if it does have a "spongy feel", it still ACTUALLY stops quicker than most cars - to me, that's what counts.
    mcdawgg,

So, are you doubting that my brakes feel spongy? I am just sharing my experience. There is definitely something wrong with them but Toyota denies it. In conjunction with the shift flare, I am about a week away from trading in my 2007 Camry XLE v6. I love Toyota - but I am very disappointed in the 2007 Camry.
    I don't blame you for trading your Camry in, I would be a very dissatisfied customer if i purchased one and the dealer basically told me the brakes are normal when i know they aren't, however some people don't mind spongy brakes or are just used to Toyota Camry brakes and really dont know the difference.
    I am not doubting the feel, but the actual stopping distance is as good or better than other cars in its class. If you doubt the dealer, try another dealer, but I really say it is just the feel, not the actual performance. I just wanted to be clear that the Camry brakes are actually better than most cars at stopping quickly. If the feel is your problem, then there is nothing the dealer can do for you. Feel is just a personal preference.

I cannot comment on your other issue, but I have read that Toyota has issued TSBs on several things to correct problems. Hang in there if you can, it is too expensive to trade in brand new car. Good Luck.
  • s15as15a Posts: 14
    I've never changed my pads. I've approx. 74500 miles on the 2001 Camry LE. Checked my brakes @ Firestone today and they are telling me I've 20% of the brake pads left(4 mm), but they cannot changed only the pads since the rotors are down to the wire.

They are telling my I need to change the rotors and the pads. How could the rotors need to be changed so fast? They told me the rotors will be at: 1.024(which they say is at specs) after they are resurfaced. They say the rotors are at 1.122.
    You can replace the pads without resurfacing the rotors, as long as the latter aren't warped or badly scored. I'd get a second opinion.

On my former '97 Camry, I didn't have to change the front pads until 109K miles, and the rotors were fine. (Of course, pad life is highly dependent on brake use.)
  • I noticed 2008 Camry brakes stiff and painful for my injured knee. I also think US made 2007 camry (VIN 4T1..) have stiffer brakes than Japan assembled 2007 camry (VIN JTN..) - anyone have any clues about this ? I hate to buy 2007 camry when 2008's are coming but it seems like 2007 [non-permissible content removed] assembled will be easier for me. Are they making 2008 [non-permissible content removed] assembled cars for Camry V6 ?
    I don't think you should be using a pejorative term for the Japanese. World War II has been long since over!

There should be no difference in "stiffness" (brake pedal feel and effort I presume) between 2007 vs. 2008 Camrys, whether they're assembled here or in Japan, and whether they have 4-cylinder or V6 engines. The bulk of Camrys sold in the US are built in the US.
  • ochobochob Posts: 3
    I have strange cranking noice in the right front brake area on my Camry 95. When I make complete stop and releasing brake pedal to move, i hear strange cranking noise. What can cause this noise? Does somebody have experienced this? if yes how to fix it? Please help.
    Brake pad could be worn down, ruining the rotor. Wheel bearing could be going bad, with the wheel about ready to fall off. Front CV joint bearing could be going bad. Could have a bad suspension part or strut.

None of this is good. Get it looked at as soon as you can.
  • ochobochob Posts: 3
    thanks kiawah, I have checked everything that you suggested, and it seems to be the suspension in the Right front. I detected big greasy dirt at the bottom of suspension. Is that mean that it could make that kind of noise? if yes could you explain me the nature of this noise, what makes it to sound like that. Thank a lot, I appreciate your advise.
    Well I can't hear the noise, and can't see the grease, so can't diagnose. If you have a greasy bunch of dirt at the bottom of suspension, you need to see where it came from. Is it from the strut, which leaked all of it's oil and is now creaking? Is it from the Constant Velocity Joint which has a boot that is cracked and leaked out all of it's grease, letting water in and now has rusted or pitted ball bearing races? Or is it something else?

Get it to a shop to have someone look at it.
  • I recently purchased a 1996 Toyota Camry with 59,000 mile. My mechanic said it has faulty ABS sensors in rear wheels. Should I get this fixed?