Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Start Up/Ignition

fmm06418fmm06418 Member Posts: 2
I just purchased a used 2005 Chev Maxx with 12500 miles about 2 months ago. I've put about 3k miles on it. My problem has 2 issues. The first is when I go to start the car,after I turn the key and before the engine engages I get a really bad shake that rattles the whole car. This happens about 6 out of 10 times when I start it. The second issue is I get a periodic rattle in the right front. Here again it does not happen all of the time. I've had it into service and they couldn't find anything wrong. It's still doing both things. Anyone else having that problem? Any suggestions? Thanks, fmm06418

Comments

• mjr15197mjr15197 Member Posts: 13
    My wife's 04 Malibu does the same thing on start up occasionally. Not as often as yours but with hers is it usually accompanied by a major transmission issue where it doesn’t want to shift and when it does the car jerks so hard it makes me glad I'm wearing a seatbelt.

Had 2 different dealers attempt to solve these issues along with a steering problem but after performing items on TSBs, multiple software updates, and a new BCM the problems still remain. :(

We love the Malibu and there is not a more loyal GM customer than myself but the (good natured) ribbing from my import driving in-laws is starting wear thin. :sick: Although my father-in-law is on a wait list for a Sky!
  • fmm06418fmm06418 Member Posts: 2
    This is the first GM product I've had in 25 years. The last was a 67 Nova. I really like the way the car drives and the interior is very comfortable. Since I'm 6'4" the leg room is very important to me. As for the shaking when it starts and the intermitant rattles, I'm just keeping my fingures crossed and hope if it's something major, it will be fixed under warrenty.
  • billbbillb Member Posts: 14
    Mine shakes like this on start up sometimes too - twice this week already. My dealer says it is because the car has electronic ignition and I am holding the key down too long. I really dont know that I am and I try to be conscious of that on start up (when I remember) but it still happens.

As for my other shaking problem, I took the car in Friday. The dealer says asphalt sealer was on the caliper and brakes and that caused them to stick. I don't know if that would cause my two incidents two weeks and 1000+ miles apart. They cleaned it off. We will see.

The dealer also said the rotors and brakes were fine. They must not have road tested it because I still get a nice wobble when braking at higher speeds. Still only 21K.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Holding the key down too long? On the 04+ Malibus once the key is turned to "start" the PCM takes over and cranks until the engine starts or 4 seconds (Maybe lower). You can just turn the key to start and let go and it'll continue to crank or you can hold it at start all day and it'll still stop cranking once it hits 4 seconds or the engine stops. Also, your wobble when braking might be warped rotors.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    >asphalt sealer

What does that mean? Is it the tar from a road that got onto the the brakes? Or is it some undercoating they applied to the car?

>Still only 21K

The brakes will be fine until 36000 is passed. They they will find there is a problem from having been overheated, but it won't be covered by warranty.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    The dealer also said the rotors and brakes were fine. They must not have road tested it because I still get a nice wobble when braking at higher speeds. Still only 21K.

Good luck with this one. It was like pulling teeth getting my dealer to feel the problem. All the while, I'm thinking, "Do you not have any senses? How can you not feel that shaking?"

On the bright side though, since they fixed it its been fine for 10K.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Be absolutely sure your tires are torqued correctly. I had this problem from time to time and every time I noticed it, it was because the tires had been severely mis-torqued.

Fortunately once the tires were torqued properly, most of the shake went away. The brake rotors are indeed flimsy.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Regarding the shaking when braking.... I have had this problem on a couple occasions and it usually starts after the dealership has had the wheels off for a rotation or other service. My opinion is the service tech isn't torquing the wheels with the proper sequence and torque when re installing the wheels which is warping the rotors causing the vibration.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    you are correct..it appears that the wheels must be properly torqued or you may experience some warping..and that vibration......insist they are hand tighten and torqued...and not with an air gun
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    Many shops don't like to have to use a real torque wrench to tighten lugs. They talk fast like a teenager caught using all kinds of excuses.

When they use a torque wrench they should use the star pattern and go around twice. If I don't trust the shop, I come home driving gently on the brakes, and jack the car up at each corner to take the weight off and loosen and retighten with my own torque wrench. Current rotors on LeSabre have 65K on them. The wheels have been off every 6-7K miles for rotation and other times on my own.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

>asphalt sealer

What does that mean? Is it the tar from a road that got onto the the brakes? Or is it some undercoating they applied to the car?

>Still only 21K

The brakes will be fine until 36000 is passed. They they will find there is a problem from having been overheated, but it won't be covered by warranty.

Tar I suppose. The problem hasn't happened in the last 10 days.

I figure the same thing with the 36K mark. I will take it back before then and invite them on a test drive if need be. The local dealer is right off the the highway.
  • thorfamthorfam Member Posts: 2
    We have a problem on start up randomly. The car shakes and runs on without starting. Turning it off and re starting almost always works fine. It is an 04 maxx LS. We have less than 5K left on warranty and it will not reproduce this problem often enough for the dealer to attempt service. The dealer thinks it may be a fuel problem but can't find anything wrong. Help.
    is it from a cold start, a lukewarm start, or a hot start?

Maxxes and many cars have trouble starting if you run the engine a short distance, then park the car. The problem seems to be incorrect temperature analysis. The ignition and fuel system get confused and send the wrong mixture to the cylinders.

This problem has showed up on an old prism and camry I used to own.
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Member Posts: 101
    "many cars have trouble starting if you run the engine a short distance, then park the car."

That's just an accepted part of life here in an area where we have such huge changes in temperature season to season. In the period of a given year we deal with a range of outside temperature from -40C in winter to +40C in summer. I'm always amazed ANYthing works at -40.
    If you've ever had to sit in a car that's sat outside in -40 overnight, you'll know what I mean. If you havent, then you cant imagine it. Factor in windchill and we can get to -50, 60 or lower.
    My past challenge has included making a carbeurated engine with an electric choke work ok for that wide range of temperatures.... yikes! That makes newer cars look very good.

Just so you dont get feeling too bad for us here, today it's +30C, which equates to HOT.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    BTW I saw an update in dealer info regarding complaint on starting - where it seems like starter staying engaged after engine running. Nothing available yet but looks like calibration update expected in June. I will keep an eye out for updates.
    The starter seeming to stay engaged for a few seconds too long, I've had that happen several times since I've owned the car, about 2 months now.
  • thorfamthorfam Member Posts: 2
    This is probably a better description of my problem. The starter staying engaged. It will not always keep running under these conditions without turning the key off and re starting. It seems to happen most often with a cold start.
  • malibugirl2001malibugirl2001 Member Posts: 3
    I really need some good advice here. I have a 2001 chevy malibu with roughly 100,000 that I just bought And like so many others on here I im haveing problems starting the car. It cranks but will not turn over no matter what i do. The only way i could get it to start is to spray starting fulid where the air filter is ( maybe it is flooding) I think it may be the ignition system or the fuel system but to be perfectly honest i dont know much about cars.Please help! :confuse:
  • maxxindmaxxind Member Posts: 22
    Malibugirl2001, depending on how recently you mean when you said you "just bought" the car, I might want to go back to your dealer if you bought it from a dealer. If you bought it privately, or if it's no longer covered by any warranty from a selling dealer, I'd take it to a good shop to have this trouble diagnosed. This is not going to be a do-it-yourself repair, in all likelihood.

If I were guessing based on what you say, I'd say you may have a bad fuel pump.
  • malibugirl2001malibugirl2001 Member Posts: 3
    well I just bought the car from a private party so i im sol but i have been reading on here and i think it is either a theft system chip or maybe a fuel in jector problem. at any rate i have no clue and i will probaly have to go to the shop. i was just hopeing that i could figure it out and not have to pay that much
  • mdp35submdp35sub Member Posts: 4
    Have a 2005 Classic 35500 miles. At times car will turn over, but will not crank. After trying for several minutes it starts. Noticed this issue happens with the A/C on and when its hot out. Anyone had this problem or knows what causes it. Dealer checked it, but said problem could not be located unless this happened while in in their care.
  • maxxindmaxxind Member Posts: 22
    It may be vapor-locking. This could be your problem if the car is hardest to start after it's been sitting for a fairly short time when you try to re-start it. Vapor lock is caused by excessive heat under the hood causing the fuel in the fuel lines to vaporize after you shut the car down.

Some gasoline is more prone to do this than others, and you can't really generalize by brand names because it varies by region and station, so if you have usually been buying your gas at one place, try buying it somewhere else. I believe that super unleaded has less tendency to vaporize as well, so you might try that as a test. Try to find gasoline without any ethanol in it if that's possible in your area.

A solution to this problem (if it's vapor lock) is to have the radiator fan set up to run for a few minutes after shutting the car off in hot weather. I don't know if the computer in your car can be programmed to do this, but there are other ways it can be done, such as with a relay. But since you're under warranty still (barely) I'd stick with the dealer at this point and mention the vapor lock possibility, and see if they have any ideas for how to keep the fan running.

If the no-start ever occurs when the engine is cool (car has been sitting for several hours, even in hot weather), then it's likely not vapor lock.
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Vapor lock no longer an issue with fuel injection systems.
    And what may I ask is a 05 "classic".
    Is it a 05 new design or is it a 04 old design?
    Chevy Classic was the name used for the old version of Malibu after the new version came out in 2004
  • mdp35submdp35sub Member Posts: 4
    2005 Classic is Chevys rental fleet car. Its a Malibu with a different name. Figure that? A 2003 body style Malibu with 2005 mechanics. :)
    Then I gather its a 03, mechanics and all. 3.1 litre engine, hydralic power steering, NON epsilon platform, etc.
    Aboslutely NOT comparable in any way to the new generation of Malibus. You may notice a lack of complaints on the new generation of Malibu, a much different and much better vehicle. If you've driven both, you'll know what I mean.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Yes, no 3.5 L in the Classic.
  • misfitrabbit1misfitrabbit1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the vapor-locking issue with my 2004 Classic Malibu (basically a 2003) last summer, but it would do it when I stopped at a stop sign off of the interstate in Macon (200 miles from home--Chattanooga). It shut off, and I had trouble getting it to start. After stopping and starting for about a mile, I finally pulled into a Cracker Barrel and called the Chevy service station to pick it up. A week later, they said they found nothing wrong with it, and it was fine for the rest of the summer. This summer, it's doing about the same thing except it starts losing power while driving on the interstate (after a couple of hours on the road). In order to accelerate (and sometimes to maintain speed), I have to push excessively on the gas pedal, and of course the RPM jumps and all that nice stuff. I noticed this problem when driving back from Savannah in May, but it was just losing power and shut off when getting off of the interstate and pulling into a gas station. A little cooldown and some fuel injection cleaner, and it was fine. Today (on the way down to Savannah), it started losing power and shaking severely (like I had a flat tire or a couple of flats) after a couple of hours. Again, fuel treatments and a cool down, and it was fine until we hit Macon (where my car loves to end up--their service station!). I'm renting a car for the rest of the weekend until I can pick it up Monday since they told me they will have to drive it for a while to find the problem. Anyone else experience this? If they can't find the problem, I'll leave it there until they do :mad: :lemon: !
  • diesmartdiesmart Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 malibu with 119,000 miles and yesterday it just died on me no warnin just acted like it ran out of gas and quit. i checked the fuel pressure at the rail and there was none, checked the pump to find that it was not kicking on. So today i changed out the pump and filter put it all back together and still no start, no fuel at the rail no pump rnning. I checked the voltage at the relay and im getting 12v in i replaced the relay and still nothing. At the pump wiing harness i am only getting 5 volts not sure if thats god or bad but i need help cant seem to figure out where to go from here :sick: :lemon:
  • panthersfan95panthersfan95 Member Posts: 5
    We all know how frustrating intermitant problems can be. I have an '05 Malibu LS V6 that just had it's seventh visit to two different dealers in 18 months, for the same problem. Every 10 or so starts, the engine turns over for an unusually long amount of time (about 5-10 sec.), before finally starting up. Sometimes it turns over and stops without ever starting. Of course, every time I take it in to the dealer it acts fine. I don't hear any grinding or metal to metal that would indicate a mechanical problem, but the fact that it shouldn't be doing this has me worried. Any thoughts?
    I would suggest providing dealer with TSB #06-06-04-049 and have them see if that PCM software update is applicable to your vehicle. This is a fairly new TSB (just came out last week).
    I had the same problem on occasion with an '05 Maxx. The dealer updated the PCM codes on 8-21 and the problem has not returned. My repair ticket notes code 10620, whatever that is.
  • tcontastcontas Member Posts: 10
    I have the same problem from time to time. If you don't mind, could you give a brief summary of what TSB 06-06-04-049 says? Before mentioning it to my dealer, I like to have an idea of what problem it's supposed to address. Thanks very much.
    After months of being in and out of dealerships, it appears as though my starting problem (msg #33) as been fixed. Since Chevrolet was getting nowhere with my Malibu, I took it to the local Cadillac dealer. Aside from one of the service writers being an *!#hole, I was very impressed with their work. Apparently, a faulty Body Control Module was to blame for the problem. It's been a couple of weeks since it was replaced, and so far it's acting fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that it won't act up again. I guess time will tell.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Just within the past month my car has started to shudder right after starting and putting it in gear. It only does it first thing in the morning, I start it, idles perfectly fine but as soon as I put it in gear it starts shuddering then usually revs up to 1500rpm and then settles down fine. But the car has stalled several times. It only does it first thing in the morning and no other time. Oil is not low and has 70% oil life remaining, all other fluids are good and air filter is clean. I live in Southern NM (desert) where the lows have only been around 40-45 so far.
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    My Chevy Malibu has a problem with Ignition Switch and the Dealer says that it will cost $450 to fix it. Any idea as whether its the correct price and what will happen if its not fixed.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    If it's the key cylinder in the dash. Price out a new key/igition switch and then phone up a few good locksmiths that can install the unit.
  • cindi4031cindi4031 Member Posts: 1
    Please can you help me?
    Just bought 2006 Malibu LS, 13K, within 2 weeks noticed it felt like it was going to stall when at red light, floored it, was okay. Frankly, I just put it out of my mind because I couln't bear the thought that I just spent all this money on a lemon. Anyway, gave it to my son to drive to Va. (about 1500M), did fine until last leg of the trip, he's on the highway doing about 60 or so when suddenly the car won't accelerate past 30M. One mechanic said it might be "bad gas" he put in? Put in hi-test, same thing happened. Brought it to a Chevy dealer down there, they did a computer check, guess what? Can't find anything wrong! Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, ideas?
    Car is still under warranty, I am very concerned son will have an accident if this car won't accelerate when it has to. Is there a specific test I should request from the mechanic? I was reading another web site on the Malibu and most of the cars were 2000's, what a nightmare, fuel injection, gasket, etc. Has Chevy fixed these problems in
    the last 6 years or did I just committ to a huge car loan for nothing? My sincere thanks to anyone who can help.
    Cindi4031
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Try to isolate when the problem happens and take it your dealer to have them fix it. you are still under warranty.
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    My vehicle has Check Engine lights coming on intermittently
    and the dealer says that Ignition switch has to be replaced.

Any idea as how much will it cost to fix the Ignition Switch and what will happen if its not fixed.
    You should mention what model year you have to get a decent reply.
    E2, can you tell me, please, if this addresses "luke warm" starting conditions?

I've noted sometimes my Maxx will be very difficult to start. This seems to happen when the engine is "lukewarm" (neither cold nor hot).

It especially happens if I start up the vehicle in 50 degree weather, drive it for 2 minutes or so, let it sit for 10 minutes, and then try to restart. In that case engine barely catches on first startup attempt and may need two or three tries before it will start (when it does, it runs very roughly for 15 seconds afterwards)
    All I can say is that there is an updated calibration likely available for your PCM covered by TSB #06-06-04-049. This calibration which came out in late September 2006.
  • sean74sean74 Member Posts: 18
    It has happened more than ten times on my 2005 Malibu LS that the engine didn’t start smoothly. I heard some weird sound when I started the engine. It sounds like that I need to replace the battery. But I don’t think so. Does anybody have idea of what’s going on? BTW, I bought it brand new, and current mileage is 10,000 miles.
    Thanks.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    I too purchased a new 2005 Malibu LS with a similar starting problems. The starter stayed engaged when the engine had started. Sometimes it would turnover but not even start, erratic. It didn't happen ever time, about one in every thirty starts and sometimes it would occur twice in a row .

E2helper posted a TSB for condition so i informed my GM dealer and they re flashed the computer with the updated info. It's been ten days since the work and the problem has been fixed. ;)

Check the dicussions with start up/ignition there is info regarding this matter.
    I have an '05 Malibu LS V6 that had the same problem. After a series of tests including, fuel pressure, injector balance, check electrical grounds, etc. they decided to flash the ECM. Unfortunately, it didn't help a thing. I took it to our local Cadillac dealer, who has been in business since the stone age, and let them have at it. They finally determined that the cause of my sporadic starting problem (long start, stutter, or no start) was most likely being caused by a faulty Body Control Module (BCM). Now originally, GM said that the bad BCM's had been fixed since '04, but since they replaced it, over a month ago, it has acted fine. Still got my fingers crossed, but it looks very promising.
  • loadfet17loadfet17 Member Posts: 5
    I've been have a problem with my 2004 Malibu V-6. It has been starting very slow. I have to keep the key turned for a good 5-10 secs, a few weeks ago it would start right up. Additionally, sometimes when you start the car, the trunk pops open! My remote starter only works once in a while and the clock resets every time the car is started. It has roughly 60,000 miles on it, but I wouldn't expect stuff like this to be going on already. I already tried disconnecting the battery to reset the system, but no luck. Any suggestions?
    Sounds like your system voltage is dropping too much. Either a loose connection or your battery is going bad.
  • loadfet17loadfet17 Member Posts: 5
    I put a new battery in last week and so far, so good.