Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Key Fob Questions

Comments

• mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Hey spooler..

Sure will !!...Just need to wait a bit for our Spring thaw here.. Gee, I almost forget what flowers look like. :blush:

I'll let you know..

Thanks
    Frank ;)
    Whewwwwwwww......!!
    Hey, now this is the Bryan I know.. :) I Was a little worried there for a minute.....
    Yep, I know exactly what you are talking about here.. Do you remember that Tv/radio commercial sometime back where the guy says ... " I liked the product sooooo much, that I went out and bought the company ". Well, I can be an 'ole fart (OH,OH!!!) when it comes to my car in some areas, like nail and ring scratces, makeup marks, etc.. Hey, I love my wife..but........!!
    Soooooo, I didn't like all this stuff so much, that I went out and bought her - her own car..!!
    Guess what... It worked.....!!!!!!!

Ok, ok, just a little humour here, but true story...
    (Ya, I know it's a little..!!) :sick:

Talk to ya'll soon,
    Frank ;)
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    A little late getting in on this string, but I see scratches around my door openings and a chip out of the rear door handle, but I'm not sure it's rings. The scratches are around the bottom of the handle area more than the top where a ring would scratch. Just thought it was part of the poor paint job with all the other chips I have.

I've also noticed light scratches on the rear bumper and think it might be where my clothes rub on it when I put heavier items in the trunk. I'm only 5-2 and with the trunk opening as tall as it is, it is not easy even putting suit cases in and out.
    Hi wbowl99

It's Probably not ring marks in this case..
    My best guess would be (finger) nail marks in the paint.
    If not right to the metal, a light rubbing compound will take them right out. Give it a try.....!!

Later.....
    Frank ;)
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Rubbing compound on clear coat? :sick: :mad: :cry: No way! I say McGuire's Scratch Out. It will fill in the scratches (although not permanently) rather than "sanding" down the clear coat to match the scratches (leaving swirlies as it goes). Frank...what are ya thinkin?!?! :)
  • colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    Make your wife/partner cut their nails!!.....whats more important her nails or your car!!...Actually I love mcguiers products, but I'd just use a little cleaner/wax on there first.........but then again if they had chrome finger nail guards under the handles like they did in the 50's , you wouldn't have any scratches at all!!....and rain gutters to stop the rain from coming in....and mirrors on the fenders...dual antennas.... :) .. sorry went to far..... :blush:
    Hi Ron,

Technically, you are absolutely correct here my friend...there is no question at all !!!.
    In my zest/quest to be helpfull, I was trying to make a simple point that it just might not be all that difficult to correct. Just some minor rubbing/buffing for nail marks. And, not thinking, I came out with " try a little light rubbing compound" as an an example. OH, MY !!!, For sure this is WRONG ! WRONG ! WRONG ! I should have said a little light paint compound of some kind or a brand of scratch-out that is Clear Coat friendly and compatable.
    I certainly know better ...
    Thanks Ron
    Frank ;)
    Sorry guys, can ask my wife to cut nails ... don't have one, never will. I'm a straight female. LOL I wish it was long fingernails causing the problem, but I've never been able to grow my nails long.

The dealer suggested that the scratches could be buffed out, too. Glad for the tips on McGuires. The paint is already getting a sort of swirled look to it in places. Not sure why, maybe strong wind?
    Hi wbowl99

You know, my experience is that your nails need not be all that long for them to leave those nasty marks in the paint. Especially around the door handles.
    Ok then.. you can blame your boy friend....
    Briefly, swirl marks in your paint can be caused by many things...for example those brushes at the car wash (Use touchless),or the type of clothes used, or how it's washed and/or dried by hand for examples. My Black is absolutely beautifull, but it can be a big challange.

Keep us posted....
    Frank ;)
    Thanks, Frank. No boyfriend at present ;):) but I'll keep that in mind for the future.
    I have used touchless all but once when I wasn't paying as much attention as I should and mistakenly paid for it before I realized it wasn't brushless. Won't ever do that again.
    Wanda
    Good mornin' all..

Yes... I know, I know...we are all just a little bit tired of this one at this point in time . But briefly, I did want to give you a quick report after my fix, for those of you that are interested and/or are still going through it.... Surprisingly, it's day 20 now and everything is still working great and as it should!! After my successful front-end shot of 175 feet the other day, this morning I decided that it's time to try a side shot to my car. This was from my office door to a chain link fence where it was safely parked. I don't mind telling you, I was a little nervous with this one. The result ...WOW !! I measured off 193 1/2 feet..!!! Hey, while I'm somewhat surprised I'm really, really happy here...I HAVE WAITED 5 MONTHS FOR THIS..!!!!
    Can hardly wait for the day when all the snow is gone and I can play around in an empty Shopping Mall parking lot.

That's all for now....
    Frank ;)
    Frank,
    Thanks for the update. Personally, I'm happy to hear your reports because I want to know it works before I miss work to have this fixed a second time.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Well Ron, and all..... DRATS..!!

While better than it was 28 days ago, this is not an overly great report..... :sick:
    Finally, the snow is all gone now and it's starting to get warmer . So impatient me, decided this was the perfect time and opportunity to go over to the local Shopping Mall and give it the 'ole fashioned try.. Remember my fairly good head-on shot of 175 feet just a couple of weeks ago. Well, this suddenly went down to 129 1/2 feet. And, remember, my big side shot of 197 1/2 feet..?? It's suddenly down to 153 1/2 feet now.!!
    Ya, I know, while much, much better than the 15-20 feet I was getting when it worked at all, this is a little disappointing. OH well...!!
    For your info, this was done at your typical vey large Shopping Mall parking lot early yesterday morning at around 7:30 am with absolutely nothing (no Cars) around....

Upward and Onward ....
    Frank ;)
    I never use my key fob more than 40-50 ft...however the other day I used my wifes Accord at a Home depot here....parked that car way out in left field so no moron would bang doors against it....came out hit the button....whamm!!....the lights came on doors opened, etc....now I'm not a slow walker, but, by the time I got to the car, the doors locked again, had to do it again :mad: ...Question...does the Impala do this also...relock after a few seconds?..if so, whats the big deal about the key fob working at 300 ft away, when you have to run like hell to get there before it relocks? :confuse: ....talk later..........bryan............maybe this is just [non-permissible content removed] crap thing?
    Hey Bryan..

Very interesting and good point...Don't know..!!
    It will be interesting to see..
    Frank ;)
    Bryan,
    In the case of your Accord, I'm sure it's just a safety/security thing to make sure you didn't accidentally unlock the door (as I sometimes do by carrying the FOB in my pockets) or unlocked the door and then changed your mind. With the Impala, the long range is primarily for starting the vehicle and that requires you to lock the doors first. Assuming you don't develop a habit of immediately unlocking the door after starting the engine, your door would be locked when you get to the car. I don't think the Impala re-locks the doors, though. I'll try to remember to test it.
    It's funny that you call it a "[non-permissible content removed]" thing (culturally insensitive, by the way) because that's how I always felt about the way Japanese brands used to force you to hold the door handle up to lock the door...supposedly to keep you from locking your keys in the car. I think that worked for the first day or two until peoples' brains were reprogrammed to hold door handles up. Then, they started holding the door handles up on my American cars. Used to really tick me off! :mad:

Later,
    Ron
    Well...after months and months of reading about all the rest of you guys fighting with the FOB range AND the tire pressure sensor, now I have that problem as well. Just to confirm, with the rest of you, did it just give you the "SERVICE TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR" when you started the car? After you acknowledged it with the check mark button, did it go away and stay away until you restarted the car? That's how mine is acting so far. I guess that is my sign to stop delaying and just get the work done. Thanks to all of you, I'm going in better armed and will hopefully get it done right this SECOND time. :)

Frank,
    Just for control purposes, you should try duplicating your results from the same location where you got those maximum ranges the first time (I think you were at work, right?). Also, if you have only been using one FOB daily, the other may have a fresher battery so take it along and see if maybe it gives you better range. I'm willing to accept that a fresh battery gives that max range and then drops off to a respectable (and hopefully stable) range after the battery loses some charge.

Just a thought...
    Ron ;)
    Hi Ron, thanks for the fob insight...

And...It's YES!, yes!, yes!...exactly ..You've got the full bug now.!!

Good luck with your fix!!
    Frank ;)
    Maybe I should sell my Impala before the Key-fob, tire monitoring,paint-peeling,heater-clicking stuff starts......anyone want a '06 SS?....starting @ $18,000.....900 miles.........bryan
    Bryan,
    I think there's a guy in Canada that would love a cheap SS...right, Frank? ;)

Ron
    I'll meet him at Niagra falls and take the train home.. and mine doesn't have a key-fob problem....yet...
    Hey buddy...you've never tested your range...yet. ;)
    thats true....I was going to put that in my post..but he could take the key fob from his car which he knows works well and install in this one just in case there is a prob at 200 ft.......
    You guys are HILARIOUS....!!!!
    Well, it might have been a fair consideration, Ron..!!
    THanks for the mention... But, there's a big challenge here for me .... It's about all the across the boarder hurang and charges ... For this Canadian guy..it would be duty/customs, brokerage fees, sales taxes, exchange to US dollar, change speedometer head to Kilometers,and on and on and on...

Too much for me to do and to think about!! :confuse:
    Fank ;)
    You guys got me so rattled with this one that I couldn't remember how to spell my own name...Fank.?????
    Love my Chevy!!!!
    Thanks a bunch!
    Fank,
    You DO know you can edit your posts after they're posted, right? If you look next to the other buttons, you'll see the edit command (for posts that you authored, of course). I think that goes away once an additional post has been posted. How do you think I always look so perfect on here? ;)

Later folks,
    Ron
    Well, Fank, we were thinkin of ya!!.....but I wouldn't charge you brokerage fees...and taxes you can get around that too....talk later fank................bryn
    All,
    Called the dealership today to arrange to have my car fixed with the latest/greatest FOB & receiver. After explaining my problem to the tech, he wanted to arrange for me to drop the car off and offered to drop me off at work. Pretty nice, eh? I then asked if he was familiar with the problem and he said it was pretty common and they have indeed had problems with the Impalas. I then asked if he could tell me if they had the receiver and FOBs in stock because I already knew the specifics to the problem and wanted to ensure the proper problem was fixed. His response was that I would have to bring the car in so they could plug in to the BCM to ensure they stocked the proper part number. I asked if they could use the VIN to confirm part numbers but he said no. Sounded a little hokey but their shop hours allowed for me to stop by on the way home so I agreed to drop by.

So, I show up and discuss the issue in person. I tell him about the intermittent range and the new tire pressure monitor problem. He starts to tell me that the tire pressure monitor is troublesome because of the low profile tires but I cut him off and tell him that I'm aware of the TSB and required receiver/FOB/antenna change. He seemed a little put off but went straight to the computer and looked it up. He asked if I had actually SEEN the TSB and I said that our friend had cut and pasted it here so he showed me his freshly printed copy, pointed out the parts, and said he was going to the parts department to check on availability.

So...they had one earlier today but another local dealership bought it from them. They should have another in on Wednesday and I'm scheduled to have mine repaired on Saturday. The latest bulletin calls for 2.2 hrs of labor and replaces the receiver and FOBs. The antenna is apparently built into the receivers by the wording of the bulletin. It reads like part of the antenna that runs along the A pillar is reused with the new receiver. This bulletin specifically calls for the FOBs with the stars on the back and is very specific in its programming directions. Oh...and by the way...he never did plug into my car to confirm part numbers against my BCM. Maybe they just don't like doing business over the phone? :confuse:

Lesson learned? Having the information in my back pocket was invaluable. This tech was ready to tell me I had other problems and would've, at least, wasted my time by having me leave my car when the parts needed weren't in stock. Knowing my problem and the fix saved me and the dealership time, money, and stress.

Thanks to all my FOB/RKE/Tire Pressure Monitor problem brothers. Together, we are making progress! :D One last thing...for Bryan and anyone else concerned about what the repair may entail. It doesn't call for tearing the dash out. All that is removed is the panel on the A pillar. It's pretty minor surgery. ;)
    yeah, the more ammo you have going into these dealers the better off you are!! I shutter every time I think about ever going to the mechanics at a dealer.....anyway, hopefully they will do a good job for you, Ron....keep us informed.................bryan
    Hey Ron....
    Well done my friend...There's no way they are going to mess around with any of us here, especially with our knowledge on this particular FOB fix. It seems to me, that WE can now teach them (GM) a thing or two .....!!
    What...!! Not use your VIN for this, and, LOW PROFILE TIRES!!!! ....Pretty lame, huh !! Oh well.. Typical!!!
    Ya, while it may call for 2.2 hours in their book, if you get a good guy here, once your car gets into the shop, it wont take any longer than 1.2 hours...I would certainly hang around and watch this if possible.
    Well, Ron, unless they do things differently there, this was not my experience...The Actual reciever module/box that they will replace is found inside the top right side of the dash and the coax cable antenna is found on the top left side the of dash close to the window. Soooooooooo, yes, while both of the A-Pillar covers come off ....so does the top of the dash..!! Hang on now..!!

Let us know how you made out...
    Don't you just love your Chevy..!!
    Frank ;)
    Ok, are you ready for this.....remember now, this is for a direct front Fob shot... I got 175 feet at the office, then it went down to 129 1/2 feet at the Shopping Mall, and now just this morning, before everyone arrived, I got an amazing 209 feet. :blush:
    With the same Fob , Ron.. It boggles the mind !!
    I think I'll stop here....
    Frank ;)
    So, now , let me see Frank says the dash comes off (part of it), Ron says it doesn't?...scares me to think that one of those monkeys are going to take a dash apart..... :cry: ...If I get the key-fob disease, I'll just use the conventional fix....manually start the car and unlock my doors!!
    Ya, Bryan, I know...It's very scarry..!!

You know, I actually stood beside the mechanic while he did the entire procedure....!!!
    Thank goodness, I got a young guy who knew exactly what he was doing..
    Frank ;)
    I think we all need to have a moment of silent prayer for Ron today.... :shades:
    AMEN BROTHER........!!!!!!

But, you know, maybe, just maybe, it was all slight of hand and it was done just to impress me.. Mmmmmmmm.. I wonder !!!
    You guys are a hoot. I may just hang around and watch. It's always good to see where those hidden clips and tabs are just in case you ever need to pull something apart yourself. ;) I specifically asked about the dash because I was going to have them put the anti-itch tape in to stop the clicking/popping while they had it apart.

Frank, your long shot with the lot empty may have been due to lack of interference. Remember the post by our wire head friend with all the knowledge? He is going to test with his equipment to try to determine if these systems are affected by other systems. It makes perfect sense that they would be and your testing (and my experiences) seem to reflect that as well.

Y'all keep smilin' :D
    Ron
    Thanks Ron..

Ya, I know... Although You may have asked him about the dash coming out, remember, that this is the same GM guy that told you that the Message showing .. " Service Tire Pressure Monitor System " on your screen was because of your low profile tires...!!!! Very, very, scarry..
    Now, I Don't want to sound pushy here by any means, but, make absolutely sure that they install the replacement receiver module/box over in the dash (passenger-side)...
    Well....good luck.....
    Frank ;)
  • spoolerspooler Member Posts: 15
    Hi Ron,
    Just to give you an update, I haven't had a chance to check into relative interference/noise levels yet. I'm still laid up with injuries. But when I'm back 100%. I'll be looking into it.
    Frank,
    Thanks for your report on your key-fob ranges. I'm glad you got yours fixed! I agree with Ron, that once you have a good antenna,receiver and fobs, the range could still vary some due external interference, or even the signal bouncing off of the other cars in the lots and arriving at the antenna in your car at slightly different times. When this happens, the signals could cancel each other out,either slightly (reducing your range) or almost completely. This effect is termed as "multipath". I'm sure you are familiar with it. If you listen to FM radio you hear it while driving down the road and you start to hear the station fading with a "hissing" noise. It's also somewhat simulair to listening to AM radio stations at night, that fade in and out. The fade effect is caused by two signals from the same transmitter (the primary ground-wave signal and the secondary sky-wave signal) cancelling each other out at the receiver. Back to our problems. In the cell phone industry, they know that multipaths effects the range of your cell phone call. So they add an extra antenna and receiver at the cell phone tower to keep your cell phone signal from dissipearing completely due to multi-path. Maybe that's what GM should do in the future to increase range for their remote key-fob systems.
    About the TPM problems, I'm ure the antenna/receivers are really shot if it can't pick up the RF coming from the tire sensors. By the way. I wonder how those tire pressure sensors are powered? Maybe a small hearing aid battery ?
    Sorry, I kind of dribble on at times! I appreciate all the posts! And I too love my 06 Impala SS!!!! :)
    Spooler,
    Thanks for following up. I was hoping you were still out there. I was aware of the general theories of the way radio waves travel but not really versed on the specifics. We used the theories in planning how to defeat radars when planning combat missions for our aircrews. We actually don't defeat them so much as hide from them (behind mountains, trees, etc) but we had to be careful cuz those pesky radio waves bounce off of damn near anything). Anyway, we had "geeks" like you who got into the specifics and programmed our computers or answered our questions. I'm looking forward to hearing how your testing turns out but it'll wait until you're feeling better. Take your time and feel better. :sick: :D

Later,
    Ron
  • spoolerspooler Member Posts: 15
    Thanks Ron!

I'm hoping to back good as new again early next month. Sorry about being long winded on theories! I'm not really on RF engineer, just an old RF field technician, who has worked in both broadcasting and cellular industries. Hope your Easter (and everybody else's) is good!
    Folks,
    Partial update here...took my car in for the 2.2 hrs worth of labor called for to repair the RKE/Remote Start/Tire Pressure Monitor system. After over 5 hrs, I got the call to come pick up my car but the tech was unable to get the programming completed. Since it was a Saturday, Chevy tech support wasn't in to help them out so I'll have to take it back this week for them to finish it up. Now...get this. They're not sure that they can even get any help from tech support without having my car there so I will have to leave it with them again. Fortunately, they have agreed to get me a rental THIS time around (the 3rd time). I haven't done an actual range test yet but I did use the FOB a couple times on the way out to the car from a range further than I'm used to them consistently working and they worked flawlessly. That's a good sign. :) I have the new FOBs with the stars and instructions printed on the back. They also pointed out that they installed a new antenna that basically looks like a strip of black duct tape on the windshield running down from the top of the windshield behind the mirror. Very clean and neat and unnoticeable if you aren't looking for it.

I'll follow up once they get the tire pressure monitor programmed. I'll probably test the range on the way home that day.

Good tings, guys...good tings... (The Sopranos comes on tonight!) Do they really talk like that in Jersey, Bryan?

Later,
    Ron

P.S. - Oh, and Happy Easter and Passover. :)
    Ron, yes they do talk like that and those scenes in the beginning of the New jersey Turnpike and the other locations they show, I've been to most of them. I live about 6 miles from where they shoot most of the scenes and Tony's house is in West Caldwell, about 3 miles from my house. And , I do believe the real Soprano types would have wacked a few Dealership mechanics!! ;) .............My Impala is doing fine!!!.....Tony would never drive an SS though!
  • lineman3lineman3 Member Posts: 12
    I got my 06 LTZ back last monday. Same antenna/RKE/fob problem. About 4.5 hours no problems so far. The TPM is all apart of the problem. The bulliten clearly states it. I would go to another dealership that is familiar with the problem, actually they all should be now. I told them I wasn't going to come back and forth 3 different times for each thing so do it all, and they did.

Jeff
    Jeff,
    They weren't arguing that it wasn't part of the problem, they just weren't technically capable of programming the receiver after installing it. So, I have been driving in "CAL" the last couple days (compass is off and no tire pressures). Depending on how well I'm treated the next time I go in, I may go to another dealer. The only problem is I only have one other to choose from that isn't owned by the same company and it is a bit further away. That's added time away from work which costs me money. :sick:

Cross your fingers for me.

Ron
    Got my car back today after spending a day in a Pontiac G6 sedan. What a little piece of ...well, it's a cheaper car but built well. Anyway, my SS is back in my garage and FOB range is working very well. I stopped at a local parking lot and tested it out before coming home. I don't have any sophisticated way of measuring distance but I estimated a pretty good 175 ft. from the sides and front. I didn't think to do a back shot but will verify that in when I get a chance.
    As it turned out, the complications with programming my receiver were do to a faulty left front tire pressure sensor. That is what caused me to start getting the "SERVICE TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR" on the DIC. Coincidental to me having the RKE/FOB problem. I almost feel bad for the tech. My SS kinda pulled a fast one on him. ;)
    Oh well, all is well now, so it seems. It's a great feeling when the FOBs work as they should, that's for sure.

Love my SS! :D
  • chickendavechickendave Member Posts: 1
    I'm also getting the "Service Tire Pressure Monitor " on my 2007 Impala SS.Seems like this is a common problem on Impalas/Monte Carlos.It's a minor nuisance so I'll probably wait till my next oil change to have the dealer look at it.
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Ron--I want to thank you for your appraisal of the G6. My wife and I were considering one as a replacement for her Montana van. We had only viewed the info/data/propaganda on the Pontiac website and decided to take a personal look. I was sadly disappointed in the interior look and feel; we didn't even take one for a test drive. Sticker costs for similar option packages were similar to or higher than Grand Prix (not GT or GXP)--but the comfort and quality level doesn't come close. By the way, her Grand Prix has most of the bells and whistles but without the V-8 "grunt" of the SS or GXP. I can only imagine the fun those other two cylinders bring. Again--thanks for the straight-forward comment.
    Clark
    Clark,
    You're welcome...always happy to be of service. The G6 isn't a terribly built car, it just isn't for me...just as the Grand Prix is nice but just too small for me. As for that V-8 grunt, even with gas prices and my environmental consciousness kicking me in the rear, I still love it. As long as I'm able to squeeze out 20 mpg, I don't feel too bad. That plus the fact that I can easily drag a gang of four to lunch when it's my turn to drive makes me feel ok with it.

As for the other poster with the tire pressure monitor issue on their '07, do have it checked. I thought the '07s were immune but maybe yours has a bad sensor in the wheel as mine did (rather than a bad receiver as the majority of the other '06s). Hopefully you'll have an easy visit with the service dept. :)

Later all,
    Ron
  • pbaranellopbaranello Member Posts: 36
    Funny thing,

2006 3LT about a year old and I am getting the "service tire monitor" indication.

The front tire pressure read out goes to --, mostly for the front left tire but now also the front right tire.

Also, my FOB that has never had a distance problem, now has a distance problem!

I hope that the Technicians that will soon work on my car to fix this will be a little more knowledgeable than what I have read in these posts.........but I doubt it.......