Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Highlander Hybrid Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• cdptrapcdptrap Posts: 485
    Assuming your stock tire is the Goodyear Integrity, the following are some info:

1. The following link takes you to Goodyear's "rating" page so you can see how the tire comapres against others.
    http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/results_tire.jsp?mrktarea=Pass- - - enger

2. Note the Integrity is a Minivan tire, *not* a SUV tire. I personally find it a soft, squishy cheap tire that hampers the handling characteristics of the HH but that is just my personal beef with this tire, you need not agree.

3. The Integrity on our HH never last till Winter of 2006. We lost one to sidewall puncture in the Fall of 05 and replaced all four tires with another tire with thicker sidewall. The Integrity has a one-ply sidewall, really really lousy for a 2-ton SUV.

We used Goodyear Regatta 2 tires on our minivan. This is the tire just above the Integrity on the Goodyear Tire Rating page. You will notice Goodyear ranks Regatta 2 *BETTER* than Integrity.

We took our Sienna minivan (with Regatta 2 tires) to the Sierra on ski trips countless times. The tires did well on plowed road and did fine at low speed in fresh snow to about 2 inches thick and in packed snow of about 2 inches thick. It went through thick (6 inch plus) slush in Yosemite Valley OK as well. We only put on chains when chain control is imposed and we never had trouble with these tires in the mountains in winter. We make about 4 to 6 trips into the Sierras every Winter so we have some experience with Winter driving conditions.

I am NOT recommending the Regatta 2 because it is a van tire. If you decide to change tires, please consider SUV tires. If you get snow tires, it will be even safer in winter condition.

We are ordering the Hakka 2 snow tires for our 4WDi HH for added Winter driving safety.
    We know the HH has no tire monitoring devices. We wish/hope that the VSC or VDIM system will detect difference in tire rotation speed and turn on the system-fault lamps if a tire has significantly low pressure than the others. Boy, were we completely WRONG.

After a long freeway drive, we had one tire at 32.5 while the rest were at 38.5 and nothing on-board alerted us to this problem. Can't blame the car, it does not have any sensor in the wheels.

Looks like time to shop for and install our own tire monitors. Has anyone done this and if you did, can you please share your experience?
  • Significant is more around 25% underinflation. My last SUV's traction control (Mercedes) didn't complain until the tire got to around 14-16lbs.

From the research I've done on tpm's, the main thing is to make sure the tires are still balanced after installation. The type that screw on the stem can leak on you, so make sure you install them properly.
  • 2006rsx2006rsx Posts: 32
    Just buy a gage for $15 and spend 5 minutes a week checking them. Much more reliable and A LOT cheaper!
    We do check every week but that does not help when there is a failure in between and that's what happened this time.

TPMS is a good investment. Even the cheapy standard version in our Sienna has helped us several times by providing early warning of tire problems. The last time the warning lamp came ON, my whole family was traveling and we were able to pull off the freeway and reached a gas station in time before both left-side tires went completely flat. We had hit something on the freeway that slashed the sidewall of both tires. The Sienna was so quiet, and the suspension system so cushy, we had heard nothing and felt nothing. If not for the warning lamp, we might have kept driving farther and at higher speed than we should under those conditions.

Old fashion gauges are still useful but TPMS can be a real-time life-saver.
  • 2006rsx2006rsx Posts: 32
    O.K. I see.
  • After doing some research, we are also interested in the Hakka snow tires. I went to the Nokian website, however, and it appears that they don't make a 225/65/R17 - what we have on our 2006 4WD HH. Does anyone have any advice?
  • I put Nokian WR's in 235/65/17 on my 06. They work fine and are only less than 1% off. If you have the nav system, it has a recalibrate mode. Great tire in the snow and wet. Here is a link to a tire size calculator: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    Cheers
    Pat
    We also use 235/65-17, car runs fine. the calibration choice in the set-up menu recalibrates and the NAV works fine.
  • joemizjoemiz Posts: 6
    Looking for advice and /or opinions on choice for new tires for 4WD HH.

60% of miles are Arizona highway - posted speed limit 75 MPH.
    30% city traffic
    10% gravel/sandy roads
    No plans for snow driving, but concerned about water traction (for "rainy" season).

My choices are:
    Bridgestone Deuler Alenza
    Goodyear Fortera
    Michelin Cross Terrain

Thanks
    Joe
  • I have just put some Blizzack or Blizzak? snow tires on my Toyota HH. In quick back and forth steering, the car doesn't seem to be in sync with the tires and I feel a little wiggling back and forth (not pulling) on a smooth straight path. I have talked with the tire guys and they are getting another make because they say that my snows are sometimes a little squirrely and soft. Does anyone have any experience with this? I live in Colorado and snows are important. Also, will I need studs? Thanks.
  • brioboybrioboy Posts: 24
    Hi Oliviae, I am in Whistler with my 06 HH, equipped with Michelin Energy LX4, rated M&S but I am looking for a real snow tire and Michelin Latitude was my first choice but on talking with dealers and checking the net, the best tire is the Nokian tyre. You can google it and find dealers in Colorado and they are probably a whole lot cheaper than Canadian dealers I have talked to so far. If anyone knows of a good deal in the Greater Vancouver area, I would appreciate hearing a recommendation. Forget Bridgestone, I had trouble with those on my Subaru and switched to Michelin.
  • monte8monte8 Posts: 75
    The 2008 HH owner's manual does specifically address tire chains and has instructions on installation.
    I just purchased a 2008 HH. It came with 245R55/19 tires. When I checked at Tirerack.com, they do not show any snow tires in 19". They recommend 245R65/17 tires and wheels (without asking what size wheels and tires were standard). Of course the wheels are $125 each.

Does anyone know of a source for inexpensive steel wheels to fit the HH?

Any thoughts on the 17" replacing the 19". I understand that total width and diameter are the crucial measurements, but is there any problem with brake clearance?
  • The service manager at my Port Moody dealer tells me to forget about winter tires for a year or two as the M&S tires, new, are more than up to the rain and snow conditions on the Sea-to-Sky highway to Whistler. If severe conditions dictate, monte8 may need better advice but I personally would not substitute a 17 inch wheel for a 19 inch wheel.
    Keep in mind that the standard tire/wheel on the 2008 HH is 245/65R17. I think that "standard" is hypothetical because they are only shipping with option packages with the 19" wheels and tires.

Further checking from other dealers seems to indicate that there are no snow tires from any manufacturer in 19" 55 series.
  • From the Tire Rack web site
    "Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 (Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow) Warranty Rating 3

* Size: 245/55QR19
    * Blackwall
    * QR Speed Rated

* Price: $155.00 (each)
    * Estimated Availability:
    In Stock
    Well, that is a change. Last week those did not show up in my search.

Thank you.
  • Nokian makes a WR that is very close:
    255/50R19XL
    The overall diameter is only .6" less. A comparison can be made at:
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The WR is an all season tire with the snowflake, which denotes severe winter duty. I've had a set on my 06 HH for 30k mi and they still have lots of miles left and have performed great in snow. The Nokian site for the WR is:
    http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_wr_suv.aspx
    BTW; Nokians are made in Finland; they know about winter driving - they are a little hard to find, and they are not cheap.
  • jking3jking3 Posts: 8
    You know how they all pitch the fuel savings and whatnot of this vehicle? Nobody tells you that you'll be going through twice as many tires as normal because of the electroc motors. I guess their low-end torque pulls more rubber off the tires? I checked the tires on my Hybrid 2007 model they have a treadwear rating of 440, and yet I'm at 25k miles now and they are down to the wearmarks. Any possible money I would save on fuel goes into replacing tires, and we all know tires are one of the most difficult thing environmentally to get rid of... they sit in piles until they light on fire (by accident, of course) and cause lots of environmental damage.
    Can you please share with us the brand and model of tires on the HH? Could it be the tires rather than the car?

Our '06 HH came with Goodyear Integrity, a van tire that is not so great tire for SUV. We did not like the ride, handling and road-feel and lost one to side wall cut. After realizing it had one-ply side wall, we switched to SUV tires and they have done really well. We drive on farm and ranch roads a lot so tires take a bit of abuse, so far so good.
    Yeah the Integrity... what an awful tire.
    Looking at Yokohama AVID H4s to replace:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+H4S&veh- icleSearch=true&partnum=265HR7H4S&fromCompare1=yes&place=1&speed_rating=S&speed_- rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_ratin- g=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&load_rating=S&load_rating=RF&load_rating=XL&- load_rating=C&load_rating=D&load_rating=E&load_rating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRa- ting=S

Anybody know if you can "plus one" the 225/65R17? Are the stock rims wide enough to handle it? We have a 2007 Highlander Hybrid 4wd; I have no idea what kind of TPMS it has though (direct or ABS).
    HI, we use ('06 HH) 235 - 65R17 if that is what you are asking and the new tires have worked well. No need to shim anything.

Not sure about the TPMS as the '06 model lacks TPMS :(.

Good luck!
  • rodonnellrodonnell Posts: 37
    Wow. Maybe there is something wrong with the drivetrain. Alignment/balance problem. My 2007 HH came with Michelin Energy LX4. Have 57,000 miles on them with plenty of tread left.
    The Goodyear Integrity are just awful treadwear, they are down to the wearmarks and the car is just now getting to 18k miles. The dealer did not seem surprised, but I can tell you that I certainly am! I've never had a tire last only 18k miles, not even super-sticky tires on decent cars. If you ask be the Goodyear Integrity treadwear rating of 460 is a complete lie. It should be listed as 300 or less. If you look at the reviews on Tire Rack you will see they are awful, the Michelins fared much better in every area. I'm replacing them with the Yokohama I mentioned above, we'll see how long those last.
  • sven44sven44 Posts: 4
    Hello JKing 3,
    I also have had abnormal treadwear on my 2007 HH. I originally purchased the HH for my wife on Jan 23rd, 2007 to cart the kids to and from school and to sporting events, etc...this was the basis for the hybrid decision. Unfortunately, the original Goodyear Integrity tires on the front of the HH wore down to the cords after just 13,316 miles. The rears still had approx 60% tread remaininig. I took it back to the original dealer Oct 24 2007 and the GM said this is a HH torque issue that he is aware of because his wife has the same vehicle with the same issue. They offered to replace 2 tires at no cost if I purchased 2 new tires myself. I said yes as long as I could choose the tires. I chose Yokohama Avid H4s tires, balanced and 4 wheel drive alignment. Well, after just 8 months and 13K more miles on the Yokohamas I had to replace the front tires once again just last week. The front tread was down to about 20% remaining and the rear down to about 60%. Based on these results it has got to be something to do with the vehicle just as the GM of the Toyota dealership had informed me. The front wheels are wearing down twice as fast as the rear making this SUV uneconomical. If I have to spend approx $650 once a year to get 15K miles out of my tires rather than $650 for about 45K + miles out of my tires like I have on my Toyota Avalan and Lexus GS400 before that, than I don't want this vehicle. Is it possible that they corrected this in the new body style and the 2007 is more of a concept or bridge to the new 2008 HH? Why only one year with the original Body Style? I have a feeling there are a lot of folks out there with this issue and we will hear more and more about it as the mileage is racked up on them. What is your current Status?

Sven44 :lemon:
  • sven44sven44 Posts: 4
    To all 2007 HH 4 wheel drive owners,

I also have had abnormal treadwear on my 2007 HH. I originally purchased the HH for my wife on Jan 23rd, 2007 to cart the kids to and from school and to sporting events, etc...this was the basis for the hybrid decision. Unfortunately, the original Goodyear Integrity tires on the front of the HH wore down to the cords after just 13,316 miles. The rears still had approx 60% tread remaininig. I took it back to the original dealer just 9 months later on Oct 24 2007 and the GM said this is a HH torque issue that he is aware of because his wife has the same vehicle with the same type of issue. The dealership offered to replace 2 tires at no cost if I purchased 2 new tires myself. I said yes as long as I could choose the tires and approve the final price. I chose Yokohama Avid H4s tires, balanced and 4 wheel drive alignment for $379. Well, after just 8 months and 13K miles on the Yokohamas I had to replace the front tires once again just last week. The front tread was down to about 20% remaining and the rear down to about 60%. Based on these results it has to be something to do with the vehicle just as the GM of the Toyota dealership had informed me. The front wheels are wearing down twice as fast as the rear making this SUV uneconomical. If I have to spend approx $650 once a year to get 15K miles out of my tires rather than $650/yr for about 45K + miles out of my tires like I have on my Toyota Avalan and Lexus GS400 before that, than I don't want this vehicle. Is it possible that they corrected this in the new body style and the 2007 was more of a concept SUV or bridge product until to the new 2008 HH came out? Why only one year with the original Body Style? I have a feeling there are a lot of folks out there with this issue and we will hear more and more about it as they put mileage on them. Please let me know if you have had similar issues or if you've had no issues at all? I would really like to get to the bottom of this right away.

Thanks,

Sven 44
    Something is wrong with your car, take it to another dealer. It sounds like the 4 wheel alignment is wrong on your front tires. Perhaps they are both angling (toe) in and canceling each-other out, which lets you drive straight but wears out the tire. I replaced all four tires on my Highlander with the same Yokohama Avid H4S and so far I am extremely pleased with them. They are much quieter than the crappy Integrity tires, have FAR superior traction and FAR superior treadwear. I don't see any noticable tire wear on them at all yet. They should last 40-50k miles even with the electric motor pulling on them.

It is true, hybrids use up tires more quickly due to their low-end electric torque. Nobody told me about this when I bought it. It totally negates the reason why one would buy a hybrid in the first place - if I am putting twice as many tires into landfill as before how is that helping the environment?

I'm really upset at Toyota in general for putting such a horrendous tire (the Goodyear Integrity) on the car as factory stock. It LOOKS like some Highlanders get Michelin Energy tires. I'm sure we are all feeling the same pain. I wonder if we shouldn't file a class action suit for these defective Goodyear Integritys. They are obviously NOT able to live up to their 460 treadwear. I think they are mislabeled entirely. As far as I am concerned the treadwear rating in the Goodyear Integrity is 200. We should all get our money back for the Goodyear Integrity we have had to replace.
  • mk3172mk3172 Posts: 2
    Similar experience with the Integrity. I'm down to the wear marks at less than 16,000 miles. Alignment appears good - no uneven wear. Anyone have a recommendation on best replacement tires from a gas mileage standpoint?
  • lenster1lenster1 Posts: 6
    Interesting topic!
    Lots of discussion on this one on http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f31/

I have a similar problem regarding the Michelin tires. 30,000 was all I could get
    Michelin actually gave me credit towards a replacment set of Michelins of same tire but I declined. They do not make another tire to fit at this time. Some have mentioned getting a lot more mileage than I, though some have not.

On the GoodyeasrIntegritys some are able to get credit from Goodyear toward replacement tires.
    You may want to inquire about it. Put your credit to the Fortera's for now. Until a better tire can be found!

I did go with the Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads. nice tire and has a treadwear warranty of 60,000. Not sure if it will hold up but I will have to wait and see and it does have the warranty.

My Michelin tires did wear more on the outer edge but most of the tread was down to 4/32 after 30,000.

I contacted Toyota. They basicly took my information, gave me a case # and did nothing! Why are they even putting these tires on this vehicle!

I am very dissapoined in this vehicle for this issue!

Will I actually have to but tires every 30k?

By the way I have a friend who has the RX350 with the same Michelin tire. His lasted 28k. Dealer told him the Michelins are made of a softer compound, are a car tire, softer compound gives better ride but you will have to replace the tires more often! What!
    Class action lawsuit would be great if we could do it!

Lenny