Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• joecool_txjoecool_tx Member Posts: 13
    same here if you find something
  • brisintrepidbrisintrepid Member Posts: 21
    they have them for the pilot but not the highlander.. hmm. maybe ill look on the kluger sites? if you see any please post thanks
  • 05customhl05customhl Member Posts: 10
    Just wanted to check in and see if anyone has or knows where I can purchase some lighted, GREY HL sunvisors for a good price? I will take them with or without the homelink feature.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for these, so if anyone can help me out here, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    05 Highlander Does anyone know how to remove the storage area on the console? The one with the pushbutton and two claimshell doors. I want to drill a small hole on the bottom to bring up an iPod wire so as to hide the iPod totally behind the closed doors. thanks!

Jeff
  • jjsjjs Member Posts: 18
    I could not find any except at the dealer parts dept. I got one for 2001 HL for $56.00 (no light). I will have to replace another (lighted) on my 2005 HL, but I think it is under warranty.
  • 05customhl05customhl Member Posts: 10
    Maybe I will check the dealer after work today and see how much they charge for the Drivers side Sun visor with light and Homelink. Guess it couldn't hurt to find out. I am sure it will be an arm and a leg and maybe another body part. lol
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Been a while since I messed around with the center console but fairly sure you need to remove the entire console to remove the black plastic storage bin behind the clamshell doors. (The clamshell doors themselves and it's associated mechanism are all a single assembly and is not intended to be disassembled; removal of this assembly similarly requires removal of the entire console first.)

See posts 1052 and 268 for info on removing and installing the console; generally requires removal of one of the front seats or one or both of the armrests.

You may be able to get around removing the seats or armrests if you just drill into the bin without removing it -- then you may be able to loosen the console enough to be able to thread the cable underneath it to the dash.

Hope this helps! :)
    anyone install a rear bumper guard on 2004 and up with the 3rd row seat? i only see one that might fit the T&H single pipe bumper @trucktoys4less.com... i wanted the waag but due to the 3rd row it says it wont fit.. any one have one of the single pipe bumpers ? and do i have to have a hitch to install it? or any other bumper guards that will just bolt on that you know of thank you.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    You might look at:

http://www.allfortrucks.com/script/partdetail.asp?toplevel=2&Category_ID=1266&ca- - tegory=rear_bumper_guard

Seems like a lot of $$$ though. They are having a 20% off sale until Tues.
    thanks for quick response but that one is the waag that wont fit the 7 passenger highlander ..ok.. on with the search thanks
    this is the only one that fits the highlander w/ 3rd row seat im not crazy about it but i live in nyc and my bumpers will be torn up plus my wife cant drive..lol.. its at the bottom of the page black powder coat my hl is silver. i would really like to know how this installs ?
    http://www.trucktoys4less.com/trucktoys4less/hithtupr.html
    "You may be able to get around removing the seats or armrests if you just drill into the bin without removing it"

This is exactly what I did. WAY easier than trying to remove it. Just drilled down in the RF corner of the console's clamshell covered storage unit, after removing the felt piece on the bottom, and was able to easily route the wire under the console edge by just pushing down on the carpet...wires hidden under the console edge, and up to the headunit.

it's all set now, and very slick..iPod is hidden in console, and wired into the headunit directly...steering wheel controls operate the volume, and ipod pauses when car is turned off...and the car powers and charges the ipod...no cigarette lighter adapters or fm modulators....

i bought the iPod adapter Blitzsafe - TOY/M-LINK-1 V.2from enfigcarstereo..very nice to deal with.
  • canaligatorcanaligator Member Posts: 10
    Where can I find one? I'm not sure, but the 03's seem to have a curved tailpipe. Is there an extension that fits? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks
  • canaligatorcanaligator Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the link. But I noticed most of these apply to the 04-06 Highlanders. The 03's have a slightly different tailpipe.
    Thanks for the lead. I bought the least expensive one when shipping was added to the price. It has supposedly already been shipped to me Fed Ex.
    if anyone in the new york area around long island needs mods done on there highlanders i used this place SpeedWorld.com the are very professional great bunch of guys i plan on them doing my spoiler next you can also order products on their website
  • zeliebasezeliebase Member Posts: 8
    Back in July of '05 (post #937), waltrde posted a comment about the Toyota hitch, stating that it includes a couple of plates that mount to the sides of the frame rails in addition to the mounting points on the bottoms of the rails. Does anyone know the part number for the Toyota hitch? Anyone else have experience with mounting the Toyota hitch compared to Draw-tite, Reese, Hidden-hitch, etc? Thanks.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Has anybody installed headrest style DVD players in their Highlanders (such as this for an example: http://vizualogic.com/common_products/headrests/models/toyota_highlander.html )?

I see there are many brands and options. I like the idea of these since they don't block the rear view for the driver like the overhead units do.

Thanks.
    I haven't done it yet, but definately on my "to do" list
  • michaelp1michaelp1 Member Posts: 14
    I purchased 6 cyl 2005 Highlander last January, and while I opted for several packages, I just have the basic single CD / tuner / cassette receiver. Sound is not very good, often times I can't even recognize the song that is playing until many seconds pass; very muddy.

I'll be taking it soon to to a car stereo place that's been around awhile, and since I'm not an audiophile (I was in the old days with my Denon turntable!) I will rely on them. Any suggestions / recommendations / restrictions or warnings? I'm probably going for a multi-changer (the six in my Forester works great) and new speakers. Should I replace them all? Just some? Thanks - I would appreciate feedback from those who know better!
    I'm relatively inexperienced as well, but some ideas based on my experience upgrading the sound system in my '01 HL:

1. Be sure to audition the speakers you're thinking of installing. I failed to do this, instead relying on the recommendation of a slick-talking 50 year-old former hippie salesman. The speakers fell short of my expectations.

2. If you're on a budget you can probably get away with upgrading just the front speakers; the rears merely serve to "fill-out" the sound, giving it more presence/volume/power.

3. You may also consider posting your question in a forum someplace that is devoted to car audio; you may get more informed responses there.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
    im not understanding all the numbers you need to know when you go to do an upgrade on rims and tires could you help? does anyone know the lug pattern for the standard highlander 16 inch rim (i.e. 5 x?) and the offset? and whats the widest and largest tire i can fit on a rim that would be 16x7, with out having to get spacers i just wanna slap it on ( i wanna stay at 16 to avoid problems w/ spare should i get a flat ) i am looking at foose nitrous rims however i have no freakin idea what all these numbers mean could some one please educate me.
    also how does chrome plating hold up in new york winters or am i gonna have to do a swap at winter ? (oh could i go to 17 inch rim w/ out a speedo error or does this apply to width or what i need tire 101 thanks
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    go to tirerack.com and enter the vehicle info - you have options, but much to confusing for me... they also have wheels and will show you a picture of different wheels on the HL --- as for chrome plate... they may have advanced since the 60's and 70's, but I don't trust them for long-life ---
  • dominor5dominor5 Member Posts: 58
    The bolt pattern is 5x114.3mm and the offset is +24mm on the 16" wheels, this is on my 2001. Do a search on "offset" in this discussion and you'll see the previous posts on this. Aside from tirerack, you can also go to tires.com to see the different sizes available for the Highlander. Speedometer errors are negligible if you stick with the recommended wheel/tire size combinations. I would think swapping out the chrome wheels during winter is advisable because of the salt which causes pitting and rust, unless you are determined to wash the wheels often.
  • bucker01bucker01 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought the Toyota Hitch for my 2006 Highlander. The P/N is PT228-69045. The hitch does have two plates which mount to the frame and provide additional support to the typical mounting points. It looks much more integrated to the vehicle than any of the after-market hitches I looked at, including the Draw-tite, Hidden-Hitch, etc. because it does not have that flat "U-shaped piece" that fits around the bottom of the muffler.

The hitch went on without a hitch (sorry) and looks great. You will need a torque wrench to tighten the bolts to 37ft-lbs and one nut to 27 ft-lbs
    Bucker01, thanks for your post. How *does* it fit around the muffler without the U-shaped part? Did the Toyota hitch include the wiring harness that goes from the converter to the receiver (Toyota PN 08942-48870-BB)?

My dealer wants $275 for the Toyota hitch, and I'm just choking a bit on that compared to the roughly $160 for Draw-tite or Reese.
    Thanks again.
    A couple years back (August '03), gwkiser offered to provide photos of his bug deflector install as an aid to others. I just bought the Toyota brand deflector for my '05 HL and if he (or others) still has the photos I'd appreciate a chance to see them before the install. If anyone has them, please reply and I'll post email address.
    TIA
    I installed a Toyota bug deflector a couple of years ago -- don't remember the details but mine came with instructions, so you might want to let the dealer know your's didn't come with the instructions.

(From my vague memory the instructions say to remove and discard the existing weatherstrip on the hood, but I replaced the weatherstrip after installing the bug shield. Also before tightening screws step back to see if it looks centered and if not adjust until it does. The clear adhesive should be affixed to the hood where the metal clamping screws make contact.)
  • rbevilacquarbevilacqua Member Posts: 1
    Ijust got a 2002 Highlander and would be interested in obtaining the technical manuals that you have. Could you send me the price and information to get them?

Richard
    Thanks; I did get the instructions but it sounded like people found the photos so helpful I thought I'd ask. I put the bugshield on yesterday, using the Toyota part. My instructions said to retain the weatherstrip; the shield mounted between the hood and the weatherstrip. Guess you were ahead of your time. ;)
    A couple tips for people who might be considering it:

I was about to return the part because it looked like one of the mounting tabs was deformed. Turned out it was actually "bent" to conform to the shape of the hood at the mounting point.
    The instructions said to put a cover over the engine compartment while installing the shield. (I used an old blanket). Do it. Prevents parts from falling down into the engine compartment.
    I found some double-sided tape handy to hold the little metal backing plates for the set screws in place until the set screws were snugged up.
  • cdextercdexter Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Toyota hitch for my 06 Highlander as well, the vehicle came with a towing prep package. U-Haul put the hitch on but couldn't figure out how to access the wires on the auto side of the installation to plug in. I dread going back to the dealer for what they may see as multi hour installation. Any ideas of where to access these wires so I can plug it in myself?
    Use the search function under this topic and put in either:

"hitch wiring" or "tow prep" amd you will find tons of post that describe the wiring and where to find it.
    I have the '05 HL with third row seat. To get to the hitch wiring on mine, I removed the mat and storage covers in the floor of the cargo area, and then the tray that has the jack accessories. You have to take out some fasteners to get it out. Then there is a black plastic well that is down in the floor just behind the left rear wheel well. There were a couple of plastic nuts in the bottom retaining the well, and I also had to take out the fastener to release the left end of the trim strip at the rear of the cargo area. It's kind of a tight fit, but when you work that plastic well out, the two hitch connectors are under there, taped to the wiring harness. One is about 2 x 3/4 and the other about 3/4 inch square. You'll also see a rubber plug that fills the hole in the floor where the cable runs out to connect to the hitch. I haven't installed the parts (converter and cable) yet, but I'm thinking that the larger plug goes into the converter and feeds the brake light/turn signals into the converter and then back out the other half of the plug, and through the existing cable harness over to the smaller square plug, where the cable to the hitch would attach. I'm planning to order the parts from Toyota tomorrow and I'll post back with the results.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    I tried to order some OEM tube steps for my 2006 HH. The site I ordered from says the car manufacturer has discontinued the item with no current replacement. I checked a couple other sites and they are no longer offering them. I'm sure there are still some in stock somewhere but... Does anyone know why? Are there any known issues with the installation?
    http://www.allfortrucks.com/script/newcategorypage.asp?category_id=462

Try the above site. They seem to have either black or chrome. Currently having 20% off sale too.
    anyone upgrading their hybrid rims i will buy the used ones or anyone know where to get these rims (not dealer) thanks
  • car44car44 Member Posts: 8
    Do you have the LIMITED rims and want to get the Hybrid rims? I just ordered a 2006HL Limited non-hybrid and am having the dealer put on the Hybrid rims. I'll be EBAYing the rims that come on the LIMITED. (doesnt sound like thats what you are after, but just in case)
    Can you post pictures on how you did this and what it looks like?
    yea im tryin to accomplish what your doing.. thanks though.. just curious i got a qoute of 392 each for the hybrid rims if i purchase five .. what is your dealer charging for them? thanks i cant find them anywhere but dealer not even ebay .. :mad:
    dealer said they would "charge the cost of 322 each". i dont know if that means selling to me at their cost or just what they want to charge me.

Did u notice any EBAY sales of the Limited rims? Recall the prices?
    yes i saw 2 pairs on ebay 4 in each set one was 200(no tires) the other was 395(no tires) could i ask you for that dealers name? and state? its still better than 392 thanks
    Can you post pictures on how you did this and what it looks like?

Well..I realy don't have any pictures, as it is very simple....let me see if I can explain...

I bought the "Blitzsafe" iPod adaptor from Enfig car stereo..see my other referenced post for link. It is a small electronic unit with wires on it that plug into the radio on one end, and the iPod on the other. The radio end plugs into an open reepticle on the back of the factory radio. To access the radio, I pulled off the "bezel" around the radio/climate controls, etc. It feels like it will break, and sounds like ii does break, when removing....it didn't! I advise two people, each engaging their fingernails in the lower corners and pull gently out. It pops, and it is off. Easy. The radio has (if i remeber correctly) just 4 bolts, and it is free to pull out....no need to unplug anything else. Then, I just plugged in the adaptor, and I dropped the wires down the inside of the dash, and it was easy to find the other end. Then I just tucked the wire under the passanger side of the console. I made a 1/4 inch hole with a drill in the bottom of the claim shell doored compartment. Very simple, and clean. Oh..you need to feed the wire that plugs into the iPod from the inside of the console first, as it has a 1 inch wide connector on that end...

This allows control of the iPod volume from the steering wheel, but not any track contols. There are other adaptors (more $) that allow more steering wheel controls.

Please feel free to ask any more specific quetions.
  • hoylehoyle Member Posts: 3
    Do you have the bumper guard installed in your Highlander? I am considering buying the rear bumper guard for my Highlander Hybrid LTD 7 passenger model and would like to be reassured that it does work. Thanks.
    yes i got the single pipe bumper from t&h installed(www.thoffroad.com/toyota/highlander/index.html) they are in brooklyn new york if your close its ok goes on 123 however it comes off 123 also so im alittle worried aboout someone clipping it . i was looking at some ones highlander w/ the waag one to me it looks as if it would work on the 7 passenger but i cant say for sure i have pics of it here (www.cardomain.com/ride/2309227) if your gonna consider buying this single pipe bumper first ebay and then compare to autoanything.com hope this helps ( the install is a snap if you see those black hanging things on either side of the rear bumper? they come off and the bumper brackets bolt right to frame not sure if this would interfere with a tow hitch if you have one ) this took less than 5 minutes i actually got a stroke of luck i ordered black bumper for 199 and wound up with the stainless steel one which retailed for 80-90 more their screw up however it doesnt match the waag front runner i picked up oh well ">link title
    Does anyone know if the wood/leather steering wheel of the Lexus RX300/RX330 will fit on a Toyota Highlander?? Do you know where I can get a wood/leather steering wheel for a Toyota HL??
  • hoylehoyle Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for the info. Now I have installed the T&H single pipe, as well as the WAAG Front Runner Guard
    Part #18326 Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Highlander (Fits All Submodels Color: Black). Just to let anyone else who is curious know that these models do fit Highlander Hybrid Limited, 2006.
  • asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    Is there any added benefit of having V6 and AWD HL?

I live in south and don't even plan to tow any thing? Both V6 and AWD decrease the gas miles significantly.

Does any one has any has any experience to compare HL vs honda pilot? I am thinking of a change and need to decide what to buy?
    Given the HL is not intended for serious off-roading the main advantage of AWD is in driving in snow -- posters here feel the AWD in combination with good snow tires is a very capable vehicle in snow.

If you get AWD you should probably get a V6 (the extra weight of the AWD may bog-down the 4cyl) (beginning with the '06 model year the AWD HL is only available with the V6).

The consensus of most posters here (including myself based on a test drive) is the 4cyl (with FWD) has plenty of pep and is not underpowered as it sometimes is on other vehicles. However if you're a power monger then you probably would prefer the V6. Test drive the 4cyl in aggressive driving conditions to make sure it has enough power for you.

As for the HL vs Pilot both are very good vehicles -- the pilot is a bit larger with more stated styling, whereas the HL's styling is more refined. Look at both to see which appeals to you. Also check-out the Nissan Murano vs Toyota Highlander vs Subaru B9 Tribeca vs Honda Pilot discussion (you'll have to slog through a bunch of posts but there are a number that directly address the HL vs Pilot issue).

Hope this helps! :)
  • asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    Thanks landdriver for your message.

How about driving HL or pilot? do they feel like driving a car or SUV. My understanding about HL is that it is SUV based on camry so it really feels like camry in terms of driving.

What about roll over prevention in HL? Do one need to be carefull at sharp edges or VSC is good enough?