Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    factorfactor Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 TLC and would like to install a cup holder. There is a nice spot availible on the dash, right above the CD player. right now it has a cover over it with a small useless compartment which would at the most hold a tape. Has anybody installed a collapsible cup holder there, it looks like the perfect spot. Is there one available and where would one get it?

As well, I will have to replace the tires soon, what happens to the performance and gas mileage if I put on 285/75/R16s? Does it still have the usual TLC zip. I did this to my 4-Runner and it reduced the highway RPM (@75 mph) by about 200, but no noticeable performance problems but it was a standard.
  • Options
    joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    factor, Funny you should ask. That is exactly where the factory cup holder goes on the '95 and later fzj80 TLC. You can get them from Christo Slee through his website:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/cup_main.htm

Regarding 285 75's, they will fit with stock suspension, but they rub slightly in the rear wheel wells under full compression offroad. It's only about 1" taller, so no big deal. You can advance the timing from 3 deg BTDC to between 7 and 10 deg BTDC and still run 87 octane fuel. I'm running 10 deg, and it's noticeably peppier.

• Options
    lcboundlcbound Member Posts: 15
    I e-mailed your info to my service manager. Hope they save one for me!

Daveh7, I don't understand your comment: JBL makes the stereo system components, Toyota installs them during production. The amp (a modular unit) is just one part: swap out the old one with the fix, done. What's so hard about that?

Waiting... LCBound.
  • Options
    A non-stereo question!!!

I'll be trying out the Hatteras sands this springtime, which can be very soft and very deep. In case I DO get stuck ...

Anyone know how "effective" are the stock tow hooks? I'm concerned about safety (if they come off under load under load and turn into a deadly projectile), use (no clip to keep the tow line on) and avoiding damage to the frame.

Should I consider aftermarket replacement hooks? How good are the hooks (loops?) I see advertised that connect to the towing receiver hitch?

Thanks, LCBound
  • Options
    Service manager called me back, they're putting in the order for the replacement amp with JBL directly.

Apparently the Tech Service Bulletin has not yet been published by Toyota (which is why no service people know about it), but should be in Early March. It seems that the Toyota Execs in US are PERSONALLY AWARE of the problem, as most of them drive Land Cruisers as well!

My service manager called JBL, and JBL said (parapharse) "yeah, we know about it, just order a replacement". Apparently the old amp had a voltage problem -- JBL wanted the bass to go up a little with the engine on, but turned into a major miscalculation!

So tell your service managers to contact JBL, not Toyota, if you want fast service (once the TSB comes out, demand will strain supply).

LCBound.

P.S. Since the part comes from JBL, the Toyota District Service Managers don't really have any pull to speed things up.
  • Options
    stockalestockale Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a used TL. I am looking at a 1994-1996 perhaps a 1997 model depending on price. I would like to hear from some those of you that own a TL between these years. Please share you thoughts, experiences and problems/repairs you have had with this vehicle. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    I've had the Borla on my 98 since about the day they came out with it. It is not any louder than stock, but the frequency is lower. No additional vibration on a cat-back system. That is usually a result of headers (which are neither available or legal in So Cal).

HiC
  • Options
    You need to be more specific with your question. Anyway, '94 fzj80 has the huge toyota bus tranny (A442F), and the '95 to '97 has the gussied up 4Runner tranny. The dash was changed in '95, and some mods were made to the intake and fuel management on the motor. Front axle seals are a maintenance item on all 80 series, and with ABS, the rear wheel bearings need to be re-packed just like the front. Brake pads wear quickly, but resist your desire to turn the rotors as they will quickly warp. Also be careful with lug nut torque as it will warp the rotors and shear the lugs. Lug nuts were changed in '95, too. You might be able to find an 80 with factory diff lockers.

The 80 rocks. It's the best offroad performing TLC ever made, out of the box.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    #509, 511
    Echo what #511 has said. I have 94,96,97, I wouldnt have any problem recommending 94,95,96,97 to you. Brake pad wear has been from between 31-45k other than that NO problems
  • Options
    silvertoothsilvertooth Member Posts: 2
    I am still undecided whether I should get the 3rd row option when ordering a new LC. Does the third row take away space for people in the second row? Is the second row any different when the third row is installed? How comfortabel are those seats on long drives?
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The third row doesn't impact the second row. The thing you are about to discover is that you will not be able to get one without it anyway. 100% of them are being shipped with the third seat package, so unless you are willing to wait 6 to 8 months for a Japanese build order, you're going to get them anyway.
  • Options
    sch2sch2 Member Posts: 8
    I am on my third cruiser and have the same issue with the third row seats. As noted above, you can't find one without the third row option and for resale purposes you probably would not want to order one that way.

The seats do not impact the second row seating area, however, do impact the cargo space even when folded. As they are easy to remove, I simply pull them out and put them in storage until I am ready to sell the vehicle.
  • Options
    shockloadshockload Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone report to me on squeaks and rattles in the 2001 Land Cruiser. I bought one and the stero booming combined with a dashboard rattle bothered me so much I cancelled the deal.
  • Options
    mapconsultantmapconsultant Member Posts: 10
    Your message requested recent pricing info for new TLC. I also live in southern calif and yesterday purchased a new 2000 cruiser. In shopping, I learned that some dealers still have model year 2000 in their stock. These dealers are often anxious to move this inventory. I think I got a pretty good deal. The TLC is equiped with 3rd row seat[try to find one that is not], the gold package, floor mats[option number CF],and also has the wood grain dash. It does not have the convenience package[C7], consisting of running boards, roof rack, and trailer hitch. The MSRP was $56,590. I paid $43,590, a $12,000 discount from sticker. The dealer told me he had been flooring the vechicle for 8 months and was selling the car under his cost. Who knows? Still, this was what seemed to me an exceptional price. Of course, all tax, lic, and fees were additional. Hope this helps with some very recent pricing information. By the way, does the moniker "barblesshook" indicate a fellow fly fisher?
  • Options
    TonyG5003TonyG5003 Member Posts: 9
    You are right, I didn't listen to it while driving. And, yes I took actual delivery today, and it does have the problem. However, it is not quite as bad as I had expected. I have the navigation system also, and I can turn the bass virtually off on the touch screen. But, it is still more "basey" than what I have experienced in other cars.

I like a little more bass than most, but I will probably have it replaced anyway.

Other than that; I absolutely LOVE the stereo sound. And the touch screen features are really cool. Now, only if they could make it to where you could watch a DVD while driving! :) I'm kidding of course. The DVD is fun, but I can't see as that I will sit in my car to watch a movie.

A comment about my navgation: This is by far the best navigation system I have experienced. I have had two other Mercedes (on of which was my M-Class that I traded), and neither of them were so user friendly. The touch screen really makes it a dream to use.
  • Options
    dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Yes, that is indeed a WAY under invoice deal. For whatever the reason, that dealer decided to "cut his losses" and grab your money. It might make sense if you leased or did financing with them, or traded a good car to make the diff. up but I can tell you that your deal was excellent if the car was new. It's actually beyond excellent.

There was a time when I had 5 of the non-C7 package cars posted (MSRP with BG CF was $54ish though...) for $46500-47000 in my ads to rid myself of the year-end cars. If the car was also with gold, wood, and was a decent color (not white with gray leather, or an "off" color for normal CA wants, then you really did well!

Dianne
  • Options
    jnivensjnivens Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading through this town hall discussion for the last two days. Good stuff? I am considering buying a '97 LC from a Toyota dealer. 57K miles, loaded, excellent condition, Toyota certified to 100,000K. Asking $28,995. So far, down to about $28,000. Any suggestions as to price, things to look for, etc? Incidentally, my son in college has a 1988 LC with 215,000 miles. It has always been meticulously maintained and it rewards him with wonderful reliable transportation. Thanks in advance for your help. Jim
  • Options
    2cruisers2cruisers Member Posts: 5
    Just returned from an extended ski vacation to find your post requesting some information. While on vacation had a chance to drive a 2000 Suburban and that experience confirmed my TLC purchase but that's another story.

After reading some other posts I wonder if I got the best deal but it all happened in the matter of 1 hour and I thought if I could get under $50,000 I would make the deal. I try and do my homework but once I'm close I'll pull the trigger and save myself alot of time and effort.

Bought my 2000 TLC for $49,500. It had less than 100 miles and a stricker price of $57,000. The color was Champge Pearl w/ Oak interior. Had the following options FE, BG, GN, DK, C7, CF and GF. Thats the 3rd seat, recling rear seats, independent RR automatic climate control, RR cupholders, cargo net, rear wind deflector, roof rack, running board, drop hitch, auto-dimming mirror, and carpet / cargo mat set.

Hope this information is useful and not too late. Good Luck if you've already made the deal or are still negotiating.
  • Options
    ptownptown Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a 97 LC about a month ago after doing some homework (including input from this forum). I was sold on the overall quality of this vehicle while still being able to maintain my budget of $30k.

I got a certified Collector's Edition with just about all options (no locking differential), desert dune ext. color and tan int., with 44,000 miles, one minor ding in the left rear panel but otherwise spotless. I paid $28,500 in San Jose, CA from a dealer.

After a month of driving, I absolutley love my cruiser. I don't use the 3rd row seats much (I've usually got dogs in the back) and am considering taking them out. Mileage so far ranges from 13-15 mpg. Inline 6 has been sufficient power so far, but could see where it might balk at passing on hills. I also get some external wind noise at freeway speeds. But overall, this thing is TIGHT. I'm used to my 91 Ford Explorer that rattled, shivered, and spent many hours at dealer getting fixed. What a difference!

I don't see why your positive experience with the '88 LC wouldn't carry forward with a '97.

That's my 2 cents worth from a guy who's been behind the wheel for about a month. Good luck!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try looking at Edmund's True Market Value and maybe play with the "Appraise This Vehicle" button when you get to the LC values.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    mapconsultantmapconsultant Member Posts: 10
    I appreciate your comments on my purchase of the 2000 TLC for $43,500. Everyone hopes to get a good deal when they buy a car, but most of us never really know for sure! It was kind of you to take your time in this regard. I now know that if I were still looking to make this purchase, I would certainly check with you and your dealership and could count on getting honesty and fairness in the business transaction. By the way, do you know of the possibility of installing an extra fuel tank on the TLC? Perhaps your service department could do this for me? Thanks again.
  • Options
    hudson6hudson6 Member Posts: 17
    I recently purchased a 95 LC in need of its 90k service. My local dealership quoted me at $850 for this work (seems steep). The tasks they will perform for this fee don't seem beyond the grasp of the average person armed with a torque wrench and shop manual (any input otherwise would be appreciated). The one item not on their quote was to repack the front wheel bearings; my inquiry to why this was not part of the service was answered with "it is a sealed bearing and does not need re packing". I was under the impression that all four wheels had bearings that would need re packing.

I checked the service records to see if the rotors had been turned. All rotors have been turned (back once, front twice). The vehicle has 90k miles on it and I expect to purchase rotors shortly. As a vehicle driven daily I would like to buy them in advance so as to not be forced into a quick expensive fix. What are the best options for purchasing rotors.

Finally, I understand that along with brake wear, front axle seals are an issue with this vehicle. Is there a way to identify this problem on a quick visual inspection, or does it require disassembley.

This site was a tremendous help on selecting the right vehicle for us, thank you to all who contribute. We (I) couldn't take mini van ownership any longer but was concerned about the amount of miles a LC in our price range($20k)would have. After we found our LC we considered purchasing a warranty of 2 yr or 30k miles for $1300, but after reading the testimonies presented in this forum we are confident that the additional warranty is not needed.
    Ted
  • Options
    cptsteamer1cptsteamer1 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a good deal on a low millage TLC 2001...... dealer car perfably....

Please contact me at jbstanley@lvcm.com withg offer.......

I am an airline pilot and am willing to to travel anywhere to pick up vehicle if the deal is good..!!!

Anybody know of any good dealers in the western U.S with cheaper 2001 TLC.??

Joe
  • Options
    zuma13zuma13 Member Posts: 35
    Today I had the stereo amplifier replaced with the NEW one. WOW! What a difference. Sounds great. Toyota did exactly what they said they would in the time frame they said it would be done.

Good going Toyota.
  • Options
    Run-don't walk, run-away from this dealership with your vehicle. Your rig is not a subaru with sealed wheel bearings. Re-pack all 8 wheel bearings on front and rear. Get the shop manual from toyota or try to find a used one from Faxon Auto Literature.

Do not turn 80 series rotors as it kills them quickly. If they are seriously grooved, replace them. I bought rotors for the rear for $34 each here in Boise from Henderson Wheel Supply. Dealer wants $112 each. Be careful with lug nut torque, too.

Look for dripping grease/gear lube from the inner side of the steering knuckles. If it's really bad, you will see gear lube in the hub after pulling off the hub flange. At 90K they are ready to be done. Get the knuckle rebuild kit from Man-A-Fre for about $90, which includes knuckle bearings, axle seals, hub seals, and the front axle gasket kit (that the dealer charges $120 for alone). The repair manual will instruct you.

Join the 80 series mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/80scool

• Options
    Thank you for the input.
    Excuse my ignorance but is the knuckle rebuild kit made by or available through Man-A-Fre. I am new to this arena and have not heard of them, are they a distributor or manufacturer? Same with the Faxon Auto Literature, book or dealer?
    ted
  • Options
    vmaniquivmaniqui Member Posts: 7
    Call this no. 1-800-227-2765 and look for Bill Rust of Dahl of Concord Toyota. They have a dealer 2001 TLC with Nav. system. It's has low miles. Let them know i refered you. My name is Victor. I bought my 2000 TLC from them. They are a bunch of nice guys. Good luck.....

victor
  • Options
    I tried to email you at the address you left with several Landcruiser details, but the email address does not work.

Dianne
  • Options
    Man-A-Fre is a TLC aftermarket supplier. They have an extensive catalog of parts, etc., and they have a website: www.man-a-fre.com. There's not much to the site, but their phone number is there, and you can order a catalog from them.

Specter offroad is another TLC supplier, but they have closer ties to toyota for hard to find and non-usa parts. They have an online catalog, which is very nice. They are very proud of their parts, but service is usually good.
    www.sor.com

Faxon: 800-458-2734 They are in Riverside, CA.

For the knuckle rebuild parts, the dealer will charge upwards of $175. Labor will be very high, too.
  • Options
    cdubosecdubose Member Posts: 1
    I looking for a new or low mileage Land Cruiser with the navigation system. Prefer the Thundercloud color. Anyone know of the best place to buy in the Southeast? I'm in Atlanta.
  • Options
    Upon further analysis of the 90k service quote from the dealer (the same one who for $850 was not going to repack my "sealed" bearings), the tune-up portion of the service only included new plugs and air filter. Tune-ups I have done in the past include cap, rotor and possible wires. What is the general rule of thumb for the life expectancy of these parts on my LC (1995 w/ 90k).

I have been pricing parts to conduct my own service, the stock air filter from the dealer is $30, I can get a K&N rechargable filter for $40. The K&N seems to be the the economical choice, any experience with this?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to peruse K & N Air Filters - Bolt on Power?. In addition to the horsepower and mpg arguments, there are some messages about the merits of reoiling/reusing the K&N filter.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    lpc68lpc68 Member Posts: 45
    and I noticed a couple of things that I was wondering if anyone else has on their TLCs.

There seems to be a problem with a rattling noise coming from the cat conv heat sheild. The seller said its been to the dealer many times to try to fix but they couldn't. I remember seeing something about the heat shield in a past post and was wondering if anyone knew how to permanaently fix this rattle. its most pronounced when I start the car and turn off the car.

The transmission also seems to slip when i slowly accelerate from 2nd to 3rd gears. when i accelerate harder it shifts smoothly. i heard something about checking the vacuum hoses as a cause for this problem... can anyone tell me which hoses?

it also takes about 30 seconds to unlock the differential when i press the high diffretial button or when i shift from L to H

the steering gear box and the power steering pump (and / or oil seems to be leaking from the oil filter area and dripping down the engine) seem to be leaking as well.

water pump is starting to leak as well.

there also seems to be a leak at the o-ring at the transfer case.

Does this seem normal for this year car? it seems like a lot of leaking all over the engine.

The car was owned by someone who lived near the beach and drove it to utah once a year. they also camped and skiied a lot too.

any comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Since Dianne can't pipe in on your question because it would be considered, soliciting, I'll answer your question. I know she has just such a vehicle on her used car lot (yes, used with 6K miles). She is in CA and can ship anywhere in the US. Send her an e-mail at dianne@earthlink.net.
  • Options
    There is no rule of thumb. I would not simply replace the plug wires unless there is a problem as they are over $100. Measure the resistance of each wire and compare with specs. I've still got original cap/rotor on my '93 at 123K miles. I change the plugs about every 30K miles. They will also tell you that the fuel filter is not a maintenance item, but I would replace it just the same. It's not fun as it's under the intake manifold.

I've not bothered with K&N as I'm not sold on their performance. IMO if it brings in more air, it's not filtering as well. Many others have gone that route. $30 for an OEM air filter is highway robbery. Get one from Napa or checker or whatever for $10. Join the TLCA and get 25% off parts from member dealers like Stevens Creek in San Jose or Cabe Toyota or Jay Marks in Houston, etc. www.tlca.org

I would get all the fluids in the rig changed (brake, coolant, drivetrain). ATF in tranny, gear lube in t-case & diffs (sometimes the dealers get it wrong and put ATF in t-case. also, manual is wrong on ATF capacity).
  • Options
    The PS pump is probably leaking. Get the o-ring rebuild kit from the dealer for $35 and replace the parts. It's not difficult, and do NOT replace the pump with an aftermarket rebuilt one. Keep the OEM one. See the repair manual.

Adjust the tranny kickdown cable to fix delayed shifting. Adjustment is in the repair manual.

If the water pump is leaking, replace it with OEM and do all the hoses, too. Flush the radiator and check over the fan clutch.

What o-ring on the t-case? If it's the speedo cable, that's an easy fix. If it's the input or output seal, that's an easy fix, too.
  • Options
    barblesshook42barblesshook42 Member Posts: 8
    Your pricing sounds more than excellent. Have checked out the local dealer here in good old Bako, not willing to bend a whole lot. All vehicles are fully loaded, nav system and all. Dealer seemed more interested in selling me a Sequoia than an LC. Looks like our best bet will be a trip over the Grapevine to scope out the LA dealers. Yes, I am a dedicated fly fisherman, misplaced from central Idaho to the bayous of Louisiana and now to the flats of central CA. Can't wait for some Golden trout this spring/summer. Keep your fly dry...
  • Options
    Post current Landcruiser market and pricing for those who requested it, but I really don't want to cross a line. My email address is in my profile for those interested in thundercloud or river rock cars, or used LCs.

On the booming bass note, I am so pleased to see the "fix" has come to pass. I encourage my own service manager to read the boards now to keep abreast of the issues here. I wish more sales professionals would as well. And, techs.

Di
  • Options
    zuma13zuma13 Member Posts: 35
    Regarding a good deal on a 2001 TLC, I got mine on November 27, 2000 at Toyota of Oxnard. For a fully-loaded River Rock Green with Navigation and wood dash I paid $54,000.00.

Call (805) 988-7900 ask for Sophie in internet sales. They were great to deal with. No sales pressure. Plus they got the radio fixed with the new amp as soon as it was available.

I highly recommend this dealership and its sales personel.
  • Options
    bobformanbobforman Member Posts: 13
    I'm looking at a 99 low-mileage TL. Drove it for some time today and find that my leg gets tired holding the gas pedal in position. Is it me or is the back pressure too light for normal people? Is there a cure for this? Bob
  • Options
    ghanesghanes Member Posts: 4
    Could those who have had this issue resolved in the 2001 TLC please post a summary of the part replaced, part number, service bulletin, or any other helpful information. Many of us still have a dealership that seems to be waiting for an order from Japan before being willing to act. They recognize the problem but won't fix it yet. I'm getting tired of listening to music from the rear speakers!
  • Options
    squantossquantos Member Posts: 7
    Seeking info good & bad on the 92 TL. 100K current mileage, runs great and the body, interior
    was pristine. Aside from a tune up and what I believe is a -joint seem's mechanically sound.

My mechanic gave it a quick once over and I drove it for a day playing with all the gadgets etc paying attention to the miff Locks.

I have a 88 Hilux 4x4 but the system in the TL is new to me. Any education would be welcomed.

Thanks Ahead of Time...... Squantos !
  • Options
    squantossquantos Member Posts: 7
    Spell Checker Ambushed me that's U-Joint and Diff Locks..... Sorry, my Bad....
  • Options
    Ghanes (Post #545), my service manager (at Alexandria Toyota in Virginia) got the part directly from JBL, not Toyota. There is not yet a Toyota Service Bulletin -- in fact, the service manager wanted feedback on the amp so he could send the info back to Toyota.

Tell your service manager to contact JBL directly -- he'll get the replacement in 3-4 days. (See my prior post #508 for more info)
  • Options
    Zuma, no offense meant or intended at all, but that wasn't a great deal in November (pre price-increase). I sold a thunder cloud with gray leather, BG CF C7 and NAV system to a local fellow for in early November for $52900. And, with no NAV system, I have a car with the same color combination for under $50,000 right now. Now, that could just be my own market here right now on LCs, but I read your post and regardless of whether or not people reach your dealer, it's not a good yardstick with which to measure a "great deal" by. It's a good one, but not the best available out there right now.

I sure hope this isn't breaking protocol by talking pricing, but I promise, if I thought that the best deal goin', I'd sure say so as I have to others on their prior deals on used and new.

Di
  • Options
    For posting that publically. It may help others with service departments!

Dianne
  • Options
    radarblossradarbloss Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a 1999 - 2000 TLC in excellent condition, w/o Navigation system or third row seat. Prefer Riverock Green and Ivory interior. Mileage below 20K. Live in St. Louis area, but willing to travel within 500 mile radius to pick up.
  • Options
    edsel4uedsel4u Member Posts: 39
    Congrats on the purchase, you'll love it.

I thought there was a previous post on 91 & 92 TLC "problems" but I couldn't find it. I have a 91 with 130K mile, bought it new. Ihave put in about $4,000.00 in repairs between 94k and 124,000 miles. Prior to that was just plain old oil, gas and lube. I will probably "expire" before my FJ80 does. In my opinion, the 80 series are better than the 100's. I own both.
  • Options
    The EFI relay is a known bug with the fj80 model TLC. The fix is a larger diameter wire to the relay itself. I would get it fixed and carry a spare as it will strand the vehicle. This was fixed with the introduction of the fzj80 in the '93 model year.

See this link.

• Options
    smaastersmaaster Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

I am a ASE Master Technician and recently purchased a 2001 Landcruiser with the DVD Player. I don't know about the rest of you but I was a little disappointed to see I couldn't play dvd's while the car is moving. I understand the reasoning for having this safety feature but I don't see the great benefit of having a DVD player when you have to sitting still to watch a movie. I got the wiring schematics for the multi-display unit and bypassed the safety features. Now when we are driving I can put a movie on so the kids will "behave". It actually was very easy and only took 10 minutes to do. Next thing I have to do is get the replacement amp for the boomy bass. I understand that JBL tried increasing the voltage to subwoofer and the volume knob was turned down. Don't worry I am not distracted by the DVD's while I amn driving. Only play kids movies on trips and lord knows I have seen them a million times already. The kids love having movies on long road trips.