Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    nota4re: I can't believe my luck that your message was there with all of my questions being answered. I'm thinking of trading my '99 Jeep GC ltd. for a larger vehicle with a third seat. I looked at the Sequoia and LC yesterday. Both are very nice. I did like the interior finish on the LC better but the Sequoia has other pluses. Hopefully, the LC will receive side airbags for 2002 and the Sequoia needs a nav option. I have to say I just don't understand why Toyota has two vehicles so much the same. It appears to me that the LC might have it's days numbered. I'm sure they are trying to separate the LC from the Lexus LX470, because the only real difference between the two is more warranty coverage on the LX.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    afireafire Member Posts: 30
    Mark, sorry but the LC for 2002 hasn't got the side airbags but they will all have the GPS/NAV system. Nota4re knows what he's talking about when comparing the two :> and the SEQ is almost a foot longer. Not as wide inside, but much as I didn't understand why there was a Highlander while Toyota still has a 4Runner, they still make certain cars for certain mainstream buyers and find it hard to fade product away when it is still selling very well.

Fiery One
  • Options
    nota4renota4re Member Posts: 54
    Mark156 - I'm glad you found the comparison useful. Fiery1 (hello, my friend) reminds me of another important distinction. The Seq has the side air bags which aren't available in the TLC. Please, no one think I am bashing the TLC - I love that car. If you have one - you should be darn proud to own one!

Mark156 - If you need any other input, please private me. I can point you in the red-hot direction for where to get the best, easiest and most courteous deals. (No, I'm not a dealer but I'll recommend one privately.) Frankly, I think you're going to be REAL happy with either a Seq or TLC. Your quality/relaibilty of your Cherokee isn't in the same league as youe e-class... but both of these Toys are - even more so than Merc's own ML series.

Be prepared to take a both on the Cherokee trade-in.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This is an article promoting a special issue of 4x4 Magazine of Japan, but has some interesting historical tidbits about the Land Cruiser.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    mapconsultant3mapconsultant3 Member Posts: 8
    Your moon roof is, in fact, operating correctly. It does not open completely on the first time in an effort to reduce wind noise. If, however you want it fully open, you can touch the control again. I have noticed more wind noise when fully open. The Y2K owners book describes this operation just as you have experienced.
  • Options
    Hey Guys, I looked at the Lexus LX470 yesterday. What impressed me the most is that this particular dealer has not put a "market adjustment" price on the sticker. The Toyota place across the street has added $4995.00 to all of the Land Cruisers. Anyway, the Lexus salesman told me the Land Cruiser has been discontinued. He made it sound like there would not be a 2002 model available. So, have any of you heard about that?

The Land Cruiser I looked at (MSRP) was $61,000 and the Lexus was $64,000. For a few thousand more, maybe the Lexus is a decent deal considering the warranty is a year longer.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    You cheated! Everyone knows you are supposed to go to the dealer, message boards and lawyers to find out how all the features work on a car. Have you no spirit of adventure? For shame....

HiC
  • Options
    joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    B implies a 4 cylinder diesel motor; H is a 6 cylinder diesel motor. F is the petrol motor. J for jeep is debatable.
  • Options
    md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    I asked my Toyota Rep about the future and according to them they did speak with some higher up at Toyota and they say no way on TLC going away.

But the bottom line is maybe they will import less and just make it more exclusive for those who don't/need a adjustable suspension and maybe feel the higher grade of product is worth the lower cargo space vs Sequoia.

For me I am hoping to look for a 2-3 year off lease TLC next year and get rid of my POS GMC. I Figure a TLC would be a great investment since it will last a long time.
  • Options
    c_williamsc_williams Member Posts: 28
    Don't laugh - my parrot chewed on the leather in my 2000 TLC. It's on the back side of the second row seats. It looks like someone dug seven or eight places with their fingernails.

Does anyone know if you can patch leather or somehow cover this up? My wife is pissed off and I'd love to fix it so my parrot doesn't end up on the dinner table.
  • Options
    Hi, I have a feeling that when the major body change happens for the Lexus and the LC (2003 or 2004), the LC will rest in peace. As long as the current LC/LX frame is being used the the LC will live. I am really leaning for the LX. But, I'm keeping my options open. I want to see the 2002 Mercedes ML500 before I decide.

Mark
  • Options
    The place where leather is often added to Toyota cars is Classic Soft Trim, and they also have a website. I used their services recently to mend a tear in the leather of my own car after my 10 year old gauged it on the July 4th camping trip. Can't see a difference, and they do very nice work with repairs. I am certain there is one up there local to you.

Fiery
  • Options
    Feelings not withstanding, the LC is indeed here to stay, and there has been talk here about a Retro model, more "active" and open to rougher use as well. That car is on the drawing boards at CALTY and they are trying to determine their market. The LC as we know it is here to stay. The website for Toyota in Japan, especially the one for the Geneva auto show, shows a couple of different models of the Landcruiser as well.
  • Options
    dmac8dmac8 Member Posts: 54
    I'm looking in S. Cal.

What happened to Dianne, queen of the deals?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Goggle for Carson Toyota and you'll find her.

I guess that search engine is so ubiquitous that "google for" is grammatically correct now :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    Afire, the Lexus salesman said the LC is being discontinued. Do you think that it just won't be imported to the US? There are several models of Mercedes that are not sent swimming across the ocean. :o)

Mark
  • Options
    Mark, That is for certain as Toyota produces several Land Cruiser varieties, including the 7x, 9x, a few 100 series, etc. Toyota of Brasil just decided to stop making the Bandeirante, which is basically a fj40 Land Cruiser. I wouldn't be surprised if toyota stopped selling the Cruiser here, but it would be a shame as it has been imported here for 43 years.
  • Options
    Bently Arnage Red Label! Wow. Impressed that it's your dream car!

Look at my fondest wish: (the Mulliner sport model) at

http://www.rrab.com/bcontsc.htm#top

and although the gas mileage isn't very pretty, who cares!!!!

PS: Landcruiser is here to stay. Toyota caught such heck/grief for their decisions to turn the Corona to Camry and Cressida to Avalon, they are simply dialing down production of the LCs as that car is here to stay. Lexus people can surmise what they want. LC is here to stay in whatever incarnation that makes sense.

Fiery

• Options
    dmragandmragan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. When it closes, is it suppose to close completely with the first touch of the button?
  • Options
    nota4renota4re Member Posts: 54
    Mark156,

With all due respect, you ned to find another Toy and Lexus dealer to work with. The Lexus guy is just flat making stuff up if he says that the Land Cruiser is being discontinued. Man, I can't believe what a stupid thing that is to say. The Land Cruiser mark is worth tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars. Toy will live with a slow selling and/or non-optimized positioning for several years before throwing in the towel on the TLC. When and if they ever do retire the vehicle, your Lexus dealership will be amoung the LAST to know - certainly after either you or I with our internet savy skills. Dealerships are at the bottom of the totum pole in the game plan for the manufacturers - with only rare cases of extraordinary sales people (like Dianne or Cliff) who have "immersive" customer reaction and feedback along with sales $ and volume, to have earned credibility. As you can likely tell, I really dislike these dealership "know-it-alls" whose only objective is to use whatever sales tactics it takes to get you to buy their car.

Also, the prices that you were quoted were absurdly high. Check at Edmunds here for pricing. The Land Cruiser can be had for not a whole lot over invoice (shopped one for a friend 2 months ago) and you can pick up a LX470 for $1K over invoice or perhaps even a little better.

At that, the cost difference between the LX and the TLC is $8K - $10K. Is the LX that much better?

LX: Air suspension. Can manually raise and lower to impress friends and relatives. However I thought the ride calibration and overall control was better in the TLC - even with the LX on firm.
    Nicely illuminated gauges, power tilt/telescoping (wood) wheel. Home link buttons, memory seats. Upgrade stereo option. Body-color roof rack. Better service (Lexus vs Toy). More exclusivity.

Drive train is identical. (Your idiot Lexus dealer will probably tell you that the LX engines are hand-picked over the TLC engines, etc. This is BS too.)

All the above worth $8K - $10K premium? Which is the best value? Well, if it's value you want, you'd better look at the Sequoia. That'll save you $8K over the TLC and $15K+ from the LX !
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Could you give me your experience on the ML320 and why you're looking at a TLC. I'm considering ML/TLC/LX as my next auto. Thanks.
  • Options
    jawandajawanda Member Posts: 30
    I had a first hand experience with my boss' ML430 and my LC, both model year 2000, and only a couple of months old at the time. In Jan. 2000, we took both vehicles(and about 10 people) to VT to ski for the weekend. High temp. at base of Killington on final day was -12 degrees F.
    So, when we returned to cars, ML had a puddle under it, and it seems one of the PLASTIC hose clamps had frozen and cracked.(I don't remember what the fluid was, offhand). His car was towed back to NYC, and he rode home with me, bitching all the way.

-AJ

PS, I like MB vehicles, I have an E320, but there is(IMHO) no comparison between the ML and LC. The fact that the ML is so (relatively) cheap should tell you something. It doesn't have the build quality of their other vehicles, and it's apparent from the trim, etc.
  • Options
    Fiery---cool pics!

Nota4re---thanks for the info. I thought that the Lexus salesguy was lying. If I decide on a LX or LC, I'll give the internet sales people here a shot at it. I really don't care where the car comes from; I just want a decent fair price.
    I still want to check out the 2002 MB ML500. The next suv I get will have a third seat and rear air.

Mark
  • Options
    tsoartsoar Member Posts: 2
    Any ideas on the weight limitations of the tailgate? I have often sat on it along with my two small kids (240lbs combined weight). Have been afraid to have three adults on the gate at the same time (450lbs+). My dealer doesn't know. Thanks.
  • Options
    spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    I've had my ML320 for 3 1/2 years. engine has worked well but many trim issues, as well as occasional driving issues. ((fuel pump went out, low range motor went out, sun roof rattles after five times in shop)). I like how it drives and i am going to wait on the 2002 model before making final decision. at this point it is either tlc, mdx, or ml. i like the size/layout of the mdx the most - but prefer toyota quality or mercedes service.
  • Options
    jcnormanjcnorman Member Posts: 2
    Looking for a Blue/Tan TLC. Question is: Wait for 2002 or buy 2001 now. Better deals may be negotiated on a 2001 but the dealers in my area are out of stock on the desired color - although I surmise a trade with another dealer is possible, but that may impact my ability to negotiate a better price. Also, the NAV/DVD will now be available on most models for use while the vehicle is in motion in the 2002 model. Is this true? When will the 2002 models be available for purchase? Better negotation position for 2001, despite the lack of inventory for the desired color or will the final negotiated pricing be relatively the same given for a 2002 model?
  • Options
    lablanclablanc Member Posts: 1
    Not easy to catch the fiery one here, she's changed her handle here 5 times since they banned her from edmunds. This is a great site, but all the trouble gone through just to be "a part of", is somewhat puzzling.
  • Options
    dmac8dmac8 Member Posts: 54
    It didn't occur to me that Dianne would have changed her handle in order to remain here. Her shillin'was pretty intense, but didn't bother me except for the disingenuousness.

Cliffy offers much better core advice and would be my source, even if he is on the other coast.

But you have to hand it to Dianne, she talked more than a few people from Washington and Oregon down to Carson when they could probably have bought their rigs for less at any other LA dealer.
  • Options
    dwrichadwricha Member Posts: 24
    Joeblow1..Again, thanks for your helpful information regarding the recent brake job that was performed on my 97 TLC. I've looked for the book you suggested and have only been able to find one from Toyota publications. Since I do own a 97 TLC, I'd like to learn to perform some of the routine maintenance myself. So, since you mentioned to me that I maybe able to replace the belts myself, I've also been thinking about the brake job in which my rotors were shaved. You said that they tend to warp faster after having been shaved and I was wondering if replacing the rotors when the time comes was something that I may be able to do also, if I had the manual?
    Also, what happened to Dianne of carson Toyota? I miss her comments. Thanks!!
  • Options
    I forget which books I recommended, but no matter as the factory manual is the best. Others can be had from www.4x4connection.com (formerly LCC) or Specter Offroad (www.sor.com).

Rotor replacement is an easy job if you have a bench vice. The vice is helpful as you need to remove the bolts holding the rotor and hub together, and putting the rotor in a vice makes it easy. You'll need a hub seal and wheel bearing grease for each side in addition to the rotor. The procedure is outlined in the factory manual, but post again if you need assistance.

If you join the TLCA (www.tlca.org) you get 25% off parts at member dealers. Several good dealers are Cabe, Jay Marks, Sterling McCall, Stevens Creek among others.
  • Options
    dwrichadwricha Member Posts: 24
    Thank you again..Where may I purchase a bench vice? I will call toyota publications tomorrow and purchase the manual. With my TLC close to 95K, is there anything else that I may need to lookout for? I asked the mechanic that did the brake job and he didn't see anything that stuck out. Thanks again for the rapid response!!
  • Options
    c_williamsc_williams Member Posts: 28
    Dianne sold me a 2000 TLC for almost invoice when the cheapest price I could get in Seattle was $2500 more. That's a pretty good reason to fly to S. Cal.

I called other dealers in the S.Cal and few would give me the time of day. None came close to Dianne's price.

I guess I got suckered
  • Options
    You can get a vice in just about any hardware type store, but you need a table on which to mount it. I figured you might have something in the garage, but if you're going to spend a lot on getting tools just to do this job, it's probably not worth it. Just find a neighbor who's got a vice you can use.

At 95K miles, the front axle seals probably need replacing, but it's not normally critical. I would just go over the various systems and see what hasn't been tuned/changed in a while like coolant, brake fluid, oil, transmission fluid, transfer case and differential lube, etc. I would also check the valve clearances, but that's a more involved job. Once you've gotten comfortable with the typical jobs like brakes, etc., then tackle that.

There's been a lot of discussion on the 80 series list about the small heater hose between the block and a metal pipe that goes up to the top of the motor near the firewall. It appears to last between 100K and 125K miles, and it's probably worth changing. If it blows, the coolant will dump out and you may not realize it in time.
  • Options
    petercrasepetercrase Member Posts: 19
    Toyota Town in Stockton CA is currently advertising $10,000 off MSRP on all TLCs in stock.
    I was there today, saw 2 river rock green, 1 silver. MSRP on one was $58,000+. I bought my 2000 TLC a year ago and wasn't able to get quite that good of a price, hard as I tried. I'm thinking slight downturn in economy here in CA and high gas prices along with maybe end of model year? The best off MSRP I've seen previously advertised was 7 or 8K.
    Peter
  • Options
    Yes, my sunroof closes with one touch from either the partially or completely open position.
  • Options
    lange1lange1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a camping trailer to tow behind my LC. I know that it is rated to tow 6,500 pounds but is that a conservative or liberal number?

I do not have much experience towing and do not want to overburden my truck with too heavy of a trailer but at the same time, I want to get the biggest trailer that my truck hand handle well.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    tlc_utahtlc_utah Member Posts: 28
    Hi,

Do you have contact numbers / website address
    for the Toyota Town in Stockton?

Thanks.
  • Options
    firesunfiresun Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2000 LC, used from the dealership for $38K and some change. It had 29K miles on it. Well everything went good then i drove the car home after the contract was set and signed. I put a down of $2500 and payment of $480.00 A few days ago i got a phone call from the dealer saying "congradulations, your loan is approved etc.." So anyways i went into the dealership today and the finance guy told me they have a problem, and that my orginal contract was denied, and that toyota credit will approve me BUT my lease is to be 48 months rather then 66 months on the original agreement. And that it will carry a payment for $200 more a month. So i told them i can't afford that extra $200, then they said for me to return the car and get a 4 runner. I told them i'll pass and i basiclly had to return the LC back to them. Well, my point comes to this: Why is there not a protection plan for the consumers to keep the car rather then get jacked by the dealer when they know they cant do the deal. But yet it is NOT ok for the consumer to return a car if we don't want it cuz of the cool off period. Is there a double standard??? What if the consumer lost his or her job. Not like we can go to the dealership and say, " hey i can't pay the payment, so i want to return it" or i change my mind after a few days and i like to return it back."
    The dealer would be like well tuff luck, hope you get rid of it somehow, cuz its not our problem now.
    So is that Legal and appropiate for the dealership to do that to their customers? The guy who sold me the car told me that this has happened to a couple of people in the last 3 days or so and i was not the only one that had to return the vehicle. Well i hope my story will spread and maybe oneday we as consumers can be protected from this incident. I hope consumer affair or some type of ORG. will look into contracts that dealership use to fish sink and hook us. Was a bit embarrasing when you have to return the car back to the dealership.
    Well thanks for reading.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    That is called a "spot delivery" which means they let you drive it off the lot before the financing was approved. You should have signed a "MacArthur" statement which literally means "I shall return" if the financing is not approved as submitted. If you didn't sign that form, they are stuck, which is why I am sure had you sign it. It may not be fair, but it is legal. The other option is to not let you drive it off before they have the contract approved.
  • Options
    hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    The tow rating weight of 6500# is liberal. Do not exceed it. If you have the factory hitch receiver you may want to take a close look at it. The class III ones put on (here in CA at least) are only rated to 5000#. 5000# is probably as much as you would want to tow anyway considering you will probably have several hundred pounds of people and gear in the car as well.

Powerwise, the LC will have no problem pulling the weight. I've had a 3500# trailer on mine and was able to maintain whatever speed I wanted, regardless of grade.

Happy camping,

HiC
  • Options
    Too bad your purchase came undone, but this had very little to do with the dealer treating you unfairly. You can be sure that they tried everything they could to get you financed. It is not to the dealers advantage to allow you to take the vehicle from their lot,miss the opportunity to sell it to a person that could get financing,allow you to add who knows how many miles to the car, and then ask for a no profit return of the vechicle. I'm not a car dealer or salesman,but I suspect that this problem had alot more to do with the buyer than the seller. You wondered about consumer protection,I wonder if the dealer might be entitled to a little protection also.
  • Options
    dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Regarding rhe color match look, there is an after-market company who does that "paint" to match for the bumpers, and for the grille area too. Often, we have a choice of things like overfenders and special wheels. We don't do that here but there are stores who will take the leap and modify the "look" and that's possibly what you may have seen locally... an aftermarket company managed to talk a sales manager into adding that stuff to a LC.

I don't do that here --- our buyers are very refined and expect their LC to look like what they see in the brochures and on lots.. and when we modify it, it's harder to sell. I'd be very pleased to modify one that we've sold already to a customer's liking. It's just too hard to guess, in advance, if someone's going to like a $2200-3000 "looks" package.

-Dianne
    dianne@earthlink.net
  • Options
    gusthegreekgusthegreek Member Posts: 1
    I Knew that LC tough on rotors/brakes, but I didn't think I would be replacing them every 15k-20k. Dealer says there is nothing I can do it? I find this hard to believe. Any info/help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    15 to 20K miles is normal for fzj80 pad replacement. Good thing it's easy to do, eh?
  • Options
    dmragandmragan Member Posts: 3
    Appreciate your reply. Really surprised with the change (from older Toyota vehicles with the "double punch" safety feature).
  • Options
    hudson6hudson6 Member Posts: 17
    What is considered a good price on rotors for a 95?
  • Options
    hudson6, I've not bought front rotors for my rig yet. I did get a set of rears, which were about $30 each. This price was stunningly low compared to the dealer and other shops. It was at Henderson Wheel Supply here in Boise. They have a 800 number if you want to order from there (800-248-3444). The rotors work great, and they are identical to the OEM ones. I just called them, and the price is $29.31, which is amazing. Specter charges $96 with $66 aftermarket.
  • Options
    tlc_utahtlc_utah Member Posts: 28
    Hi,
    I was at the Toyota dealership last week and my friend who works at the service told me that there is a TSB for all 98 and newer models on the rear brake pads. They get overheated and warped and start squeaking. So if your vehicle is within 3yr/36k then dealership will replace this for free. Surprisingly he was aware of the bass problem in the newer vehicles too. He said that as soon as he sees one he orders the amp from the factory and replaces it on the TLCs. It cost around $700 which is of course billed back to Toyota.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards.
  • Options
    lpc68lpc68 Member Posts: 45
    My engine is leaking oil and I was told that it was my rear main engine seal. a couple of dealers gave me different quotes as to how many hours it would take to fix. Quotes ranged from 8 hours to 13 hours. I was told that the engine had to be lifted to fix it and from another dealer that the transmission would have to be taken out to fix it. One dealer said i should replace the oil pan gasket as well.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on fixing it. The only part needed apparently is the seal (about 30$). the labor is about 1000 to 1500 dollars.

its a 91 with 128 K miles.

Also, my front drivers side wheel makes a grinding sound occasionally when under stress (heavy load) when i accelerate. does anyone know what that could be?

thanks in advance for any comments, i appreciate the information i've gotten from this board.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Just make sure you actually have a leaking main seal. There is a big difference between seeping and leaking. Seepage is not a big deal and the I6 engine is know for this. An actual leak should be attended to.