Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• In this current blizzard on the Jersey Shore am I better off using hi range AWD or Low Range with the center differential locked. I have radial chains installed on the rear also. More than 18 inches of snow on the ground. 1997 TLC. Appreciate the advice.
  • Scott,

I find it impossible to conceive that Toyota would physically embed a pair of $35 sensors in a $950 part such that if either went bad you have to replace it. I also find it hard to accept that a dealer with the Toyota diagnostics software cannot find a code or trouble indicator by hooking it to the LC's self-diagnostics indicator. I'd be guessing, so I won't. But it seems to me you've hit it on the button - the dealer has a part in stock he'd like to sell you. Find another dealer.

As to the 97 LC in snow, you're better off in high range unless you've become stuck. Underway in high range, the viscous center dif function is used and better allows for maneuvering in snow and such. This is based on many days of offroading in snow as well as living in a winter climate where we're permitted to have steel studded tires. Be sure to check the tensioners on your cable chains frequently. They can make a serious mess of the body in about 10 seconds if they get loose.

As for the comment above regarding complaints about a Trooper's suspension shortcomings, I have little to say. It's no LandCruiser, that's for sure. And perhaps that's why the Trooper is going away this year.

IdahoDoug
  • fj100fj100 Posts: 97
    Do not run snow chains on just the back wheels.

Also, when we received 18 inches in NC about 3 years ago, we drove around in 4 wheel high, no diff lock, just like on a normal street. This was in a '95 LC. It was absolutely no problem what so ever.

Reply to 2387 - As far as the throttle position sensor, I had it replaced at my local dealership for $262 dollars, labor and parts. Do not let your dealer rip you off. I can send receipts if needed. They hooked up the Onboard Diagnostics and it told them exactly what the problem was.

Later,

fj100
    '99 LC with Stuff
  • Thanks everybody for your interest and quick response. So it sounds like you are suggesting using chains on all four wheels if needed? Also,more interesting than that - shall I consider the fj 100 series as an upgrade. Many folks have written that the 80 series is built like a locomotive and is a keeper. I only have 52k on my 97. Should I research a 98 or newer? Is it the way to go? Thanks.
  • OME (Old Man Emu) custom makes combinations of shocks & springs for Land Cruiser; especially for 80's (91-97). Visit www.sor.com/forum for any questions regarding about LC.

Hope this helps,
    Frank.
  • FJ100 -

Chains on the rears are generally the safest recommendation. Clearly you can steer better with them on the front, but in a braking situation this would cause the rears to come around in a spin. Since you can generally decide or control when and at what speed you turn, but you cannot predict when you'll need sudden braking, I go with the rears. I also agree with you that the truck is quite capable w/o chains if you air down to 20psi or so.

IdahoDoug
  • scifiscifi Posts: 54
    I browse that forum every so often but have yet to find any info regarding aftermarket shocks designed specifically for the LC. I realize that many manufactures make shocks for the LC, but I have to agree with Idahodoug & say the stock is the way to go until data from track tests reveal aftemarket shocks to be superior. The LC is an elite vehicle...there's really no reason to believe that the stock shocks aren't top grade and the best for the LC. (BTW, what I meant by OME was "Original Manufacturer's Equipment"...though I've seen Old Man Emu's shocks...good name/marketing ploy).
    Idahodug,

I read somewhere awhile ago that rear chains only on an full-time 4wd vehicle was a no-no.

As far as capable, when the 18 inch snowstorm hit NC, I was out in Jackson Hole, snowboarding and my wife was home by herself. She called and she asked about driving around in the '95 Cruiser and I told her to get out there. She drove around the entire time, no center diff locked, no aired down tires, she thought it hilarious because she was the only women out. SO the '95 lc without chains is very capable.

Reply to 2392- The 100 series is a different vehicle than the 80, as far as on road and family use (size and comfort), yes it is an upgrade however as far as hard core offroad use it is not upgrade unless you are only doing light trails and really fast dirt roads. I bought the 100 because I wanted something different (my former LC's were a (91, 92 and '95) and I wnated a v8, heated seats and center arm rests (silly options but very useful). I would recommend a '99 because rear ac was available and you can still get the rear diff lock. In 2000 they went to a traction control system that utilizes the brake system for sending traction to the wheel that slips. When I am done with my '99 it should be pretty capable - the last upgrade is front and rear arb lockers. That is a couple of years out.

I have the OME shocks and springs and sway away torsion bars and they make a difference, the vehicle does not lean as much or squat and dive on braking and acceleration and it gives you a 1.5 inch lift over stock.

fj100
  • steverstever Posts: 52,572
    Scifi, the usual abbreviation is OEM, not OME. Unless you are talking about Old Man Emu.

OEM is defined as "Original Equipment Manufacturer" for some reason - would make more sense to call it "Original Manufacturer's Equipment" to me too. But go with the flow - om mani padme hum :-).

Steve, Host
    ha! yeah, THAT'S what I meant...check out my post time...my son was sick so I was up with him in the middle of the night and decided to browse the forums. (Still no excuse for my original "OME" posting though!) Actually, my wife says that most of the time she has no idea what I'm talking about (whether its my mind, body or speech :-)

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

fj100:

At what mileage did you modify your suspension with the OME (got it right this time!) stuff? It looks like they have some good products.
    Yeah, you were up early for any time zone, bananas or no bananas :-)

Steve, Host
    I changed out my suspension at 66k miles.

Added info - I would suggest larger tires because if you change out your suspension and not the tires it could look rather funny. I am running BFG AT's, 285/75 R 16 which is basically a 33 inch tire.
  • Andrew, could you post some pictures of your truck with the 285/75 R 16's. I've got Jaos 18's that I'm probably going to take off and go back to the stock rims. When the tires wear out, I'd like to see what the 285/75 R 16's look like.

Scott
    scott@mobi-arc.com
  • hicairahicaira Posts: 276
    They can be run quite well on only one axle (agree with doug - rears first) as long as you do not lock the center diff. If you get bogged down in the deep stuff and the front's start spinning though, lock the diff just until you get moving again.

HiC
  • Just took delivery of my '03 LC.Looking forward to many years together. Wanting to add a few things to it.Namely wheel locks and a hood protector (OEM) as well as some winter mats front and rear and maybe a cargo net. I've seen a couple of places on the net that sell OEM parts at a discount. Can anyone recommend any stores they've had good experiences with that offer good prices?

Also, does anyone know if "Glass Breakage" can be added if it didn't come installed from Toyota/Port? Is this possibly a relay that is a simple plug in?
    Thanks!
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    i've used www.1sttoyotaparts.com and www.toyotapartstore.com
  • I have a '97 Cruiser w/69K miles. Recently, I noticed small oil stains on my garage floor. I took my vehicle to the dealership for a scheduled oil change and was told that my "rear main seal" is leaking and needs to be replaced.

That was two months ago when I received that feedback. Since that time, I have been using Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my crankcase and have not seen any further evidence of oil leakage or loss of oil pressure.

How long I can delay the recommended repair if I continue to see no visible oil leak? Please advise.

bucdaniels
  • Just read the owners manual cover to cover. Toyota states:
    Install chains on the rear tires as tightly as possible. Do not use tire chains on the front tires. Retighten chains after driving 1/4 to 1/2 mile. (not to exceed 30mph)
  • hank14hank14 Posts: 133
    I've been reading many posts on this board, and am also in the market for an older but dependable daily driver SUV/Pickup. I live in a small town, commute 1.5 miles to work, but travel to the mountains 90 miles west of home and also sand hills to the east. Everyone brags on the LC, but I can not find anyone to explain why it is actually so superior to other 4X4 vehicles. Is this just a deep seated emotional attachment, or is this vehicle truly superior and why? the nearest Toyota dealer is 40 miles away. Can I buy parts locally and have repairs done without going there? I am currently inquiring about an '87 and '90 LC. Thanks
  • Dear LC experts,

I have a 97 LC with 60K, when driving over semi-rough pavement I hear a rattling/squeaking sound coming from my front end, probably the front left tire area.. Could this be a noisy shock absorber? Is there an easy way to rememdy this annoyance?

Also for interior rattles around the dash board area, do you think the dealer can fix those?

Thanks in advance.
  • People love the Land Cruiser for different reasons. For me, I'm not a big off-roader so the off-road ability is not the trigger-issue. When I get into a Land Cruiser that has 150,000 miles, and doors seal tight, transmission is smooth, and it doesn't rattle and squeek while driving down the road, you know it's a tight vehicle that was put together well. Conversely, you get into an Explorer with 50,000 miles, and it squeeks and rattles like it's going to come apart, you know why you spent the extra money on the Toyota. I'm sure cost of ownership is higher, but I don't get into the truck and wonder whether it's going to start every day. I've owned, Jeeps, Range Rovers, and Explorers, and the Land Cruiser is simply put together better, and it's reflected in purchase price, as well as resale value.
    In early 1993, Saddam Hussein’s ultimate secret weapon was a Toyota Land Cruiser that had been meticulously packed and wired with enough plastic explosives to make the Oklahoma City truck bomb look like a firecracker by comparison. It was sent to detonate near President Bush when he and family arrived to view the recently liberated Kuwait.

Luckily for Bush, the Kuwaiti military intercepted the LC, not too mention that Bush's plane was a day late due to damage to a wing.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The most succinct way I can put it is this: There is no other vehicle that combines luxury and off-road performance like the LC. There are more luxurious vehicles and a very few that are more capable off road, but none that combine the two so well.
  • hicairahicaira Posts: 276
    LC's are about the only vehicle than you can find in every corner of the planet. Whether you are in the boonies of Australia, Africa, Asia, India, or the Middle East, there are all sorts and vintages of LC's driving around. For many people, the only other conveyance that will get you from here to there is a mule or camel. Heck, LC's have even crossed Antartica.

Its history, and well deserved reputation for incredible reliability in the harshest of environments, have made the LC the vehicle of choice wherever the pavement ends.

Also note that Landcruiser is not a single model but a range of models in most parts of the world. In the US we only get the most up-scale version and the 4Runner (which is the LC 90 elsewhere).

HiC
    To put it simply, build quality and strenght of components. Check out resale values, even on higher mileage vehicles. They hold their value because of the superior build quality not becasue it says LC on the outside.

Have you ever looked under a LC and then looked under the lesser vehicles? The LC is for real and always has been, even the 100 series is much beefier than anyting out there except maybe an Hummer H1. That is why it is so sad that the LC may go away and that the top of the line Toyota will be a Sequioa and sme goes for the LX470. It will probably be a sequioa with a 5.5 liter v8, imagine the margin on that vs a LC with lexus badging.

Watch and see what happens with the H2 (tahoe based suv), it is beefy however the build quailty is not there and they will begin to depreciate very quickly. Give me a 100 with front and rear arb lockers and the hummer h2 better get out of the way and I will still be in a LC and I will still have the quality to go along with the offroad ability. And it will hold it's value like a gold brick. Not to mention superior road manners and cargo capacity.

Later,

fj100
    '99 LC with stuff
  • hank14hank14 Posts: 133
    I appreciate everyone's input so far. I am beginning to understand the reason for the popularity of the LC. I am presently kicking myself for not buying a '95 creampuff LC 18 months ago. Should have, but opted for a '98 Avalon for my wife instead. It has not been that good of an experience, but I'll leave that to another discussion. The one thing I know, after 7 years of driving an old F150 2wd, I do not like getting stuck, be it mud, snow, sand, ice, steep inclines, etc. I just hope the old Ford will hold out until I can find another affordable (for me) LCruiser. BTW, I did not know the Forerunner was a part of the LC family.
  • fj100 when is Toyota planning on this model change? I may be back in the car buying game if it is soon. Thanks
    I read in a magazine it will be in the 2004/2005 timeframe. I only buy used Cruisers so I know I have up to at least 2003 Model that will be the real deal.

It will be a sad day. However they bring out a tacoma based small Land Cruiser and get back to their roots. This was shown at the Detroit auto show. It was ok, I did not like the swing doors for the back doors like the tundra. EVerything else was pretty cool. My wife thought it was ugly.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    You guys have seen the next Cruiser haven't you? Its on Toyota's web site. http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/look_ahead/ Click on the FJ Cruiser. The era of the big, luxury Cruiser may be about over.
    Don't ask me why but the cabin area reminds me of an Element at first blush. Looks like you could add suicide doors easily enough.

And it's probably just the paint job, but overall it looks "squat" with high clearance. Wonder how the visibility is going to be?

I think I like it :-)

Steve, Host