Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge,Ford,Chevy------who wins?

Comments

• Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    well, if you count last year and this year as "every" year...
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    cdean,

I think sd99 meant the full-size pickup sales. The Ford F-series has been number one for 17 straight years. Overall truck sales finally went to Ford last year.
  • Options
    mikey43mikey43 Member Posts: 74
    Ford rips
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion....

and what that opinion is, is none of my, or Edmunds' business.

How that opinion is stated however, is our business.

This is a family oriented site. Keep it clean and keep it civil, or it WILL be deleted at MY discretion!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickup, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • Options
    ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Thank you, FPP. Your vigilance is well appreciated.
  • Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    "dave40" Means something Ladies
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Have two friends who bought Dodge. One has gone through 2 transmissions in 30K the other 1 in about 25K. Whats up with that? Ford "The best selling, best built truck" Ford has this market cornerd. "I had the money, tell you what I did, went downtown bought a Ford truck!.
  • Options
    F oreign
    O bjects that smell like
    R oad horse
    D roppings

C hariots
    H auling
    E nvied
    V ictors and lots of
    Y ounger girls
  • Options
    xl_1228xl_1228 Member Posts: 29
    Real funny dave40. Grow up.
  • Options
    Pic'em-ups; I used to drive a DODGE that you could plainly see; it was painted red and green and could do just 23. Couldn't get a full tank of gas even though I had the bread, it made the load to heavy for that DODGE and my family of three. Downhill was great, but they'd have to walk up the hills, way over on the shoulder where they could give a push now and then especially when it was getting colder. Then Aunt Bess died, God Bless her Willing Heart. Left me all she had including that glorious CHEVY pick-up truck with which she'd never part. Now I play DODGE Ball instead of being one. I think back and try not to splash the guy and the kids on the shoulder. Just remember Folks when you're AWESOME DAVE40 (the ladies know what that means) I've got to keep my public image and my Showroom Chevy Clean. (By the way, when my Truck is in town, you can't even smell a Ford or see a Dodge for miles around!")
    Awesome Dave40 said that!
  • Options
    dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    Forget about what dave40 fantasizing about, and get back to trucks. Dodge is not bringing a six speed manual to it's current generation diesel trucks. However they are bringing a six speed transmission, in the next month or two, which will be a AUTOMATIC, and built by ALLISON. Check out www.car-truck chrysler edition for details.
  • Options
    I really don't think that being able to make up a cute acronym (do you know that word, Dave?) has anything to do with the quality of any vehicle.
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Any bets on the following drag race (1/2 to 1 mile)?

99 Silverado 1500, 4.8l, 4x4, reg cab, 5 spd, 4.11 rear end

99 SD F350 CC, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73.

Once the chevy's broken in, I'll let you know. Should I bet my SD buddy? How much weight in the bed should I let my buddy insist on.......

PS, we live at 7,000 ft.
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    How much does your 1500 weigh?
  • Options
    'bout 4400 lbs for the Silverado.

My SD buddy is about 40 lbs lighter than me but pales in comparison to the higher SD curb weight. Oh ya, his is the most expensive trim in the SRW Crew Cab - Lariat I think, with virtually every option except the push button 4wd. Think I could sneak over an lock his hubs right before the race? ;o)
  • Options
    mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    markbuck, Hook a 10,000 lb trailer of the back of each truck, then race. Thats a truck race....
  • Options
    hogpilot1hogpilot1 Member Posts: 10
    A simple thanks to davydd for the web address of those MotorTrend articles.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    markbuck:
    I'll bet on the Silverado if you shorten the race length a bit. I think the speed governor on the Chevy cuts off the engine at about 98 mph on the Chevy, and it doesn't restart until you drop back to about 94. The Ford has one too, but I believe it is set higher. Why did he buy a SuperDuty, or you buy a Silverado to race?
  • Options
    ande157ande157 Member Posts: 23
    Gee, this topic has really quieted down in the last few days. I know why! dave4o's got his new truck and drives it so much he hasn't any time for this. Thank God!
  • Options
    Now this ain't no shuckin' or jivin'-- if you get there first, in style, the Chicks FLOCK around these BIG BLACK 3/4 ton GMC's like Awesome Dave-40's. No need to exaggerate; tha black thing passing those Fords and Dodges was not a UFO. That, my little chickadees, was Awesome Dave's 300 horsepower girl magnet honing-in on Monica. She won't mind the scratch marks left by other Young Ladies on the doors and window frames__ will she?
    Only need a bit of that RPM flattened torque from 6 liters of raw power to have the Dodges and Fords breathing my exhaust and gettin' off on it too! Keep in mind, if you want to get the Monica's (well, maybe you can do anything) but for something to make you want to sleep for a day you need a Chariot capable of attracting such talent. Take Awesome Dave's advice. I'am not Commander In Chief(1" of the U.S. Truck Force for nothing...as the chicks all know,heh,heh,heh.)
  • Options
    dave40:

Once is bad enough, but twice? Could you please refrain from your childish, sexist remarks and try to keep your comments restricted to the topic? Your (imagined) sexual prowess is of no interest here.
  • Options
    dave40,

I see Clintons passing the buck around, to his top
    U.S commander in cheif.

I'm glad to see Monica Lewinsky, is good for you as she was for Bill!!

Now back to trucks.....
  • Options
    sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    Dave 40
    Thought you bought a Chevy. The only big trucks are the Ford's and Dodge's
  • Options
    pogo7pogo7 Member Posts: 7
    I find some of these opinions (on PU's) intersting. I've had Fords for over 20 years, but am now considering a Silverado 4x4 since it's got everything a 150 across the street has except cruise & electric windows. For $5,000 less sticker price. Since the holdback is the same for Ford & GM dealers, guess which one I'm trying to convince the wife I should get next?

By-the-bye: if Dave40,s juvenile behavior riles you you're better served to ignore it completely. Attention - of any sort - is what he's after. The only way to deal with such people, after first noticing what total jerks they are, is to tune them out. Life's too short. And I wanna head into the woods, anyway.
  • Options
    This should be interesting. The salesman, under direction of the sales manager, started w/ the vehicle's sticker price AFTER I had told them I use the WEB to research wholesale & retail prices of new & used vehicles. The they discounted my proposed trade-in $1300 for a $250 parking lot dent. Net result? The first round ended w/ a gap of at least $3,600 - possibly $4k. GM isn't trying very hard w/ their redesigned Silverado!
  • Options
    you're looking at supply and demand Pogo. Its a hot new item, the dealer going to try to milk you for what he can get.
  • Options
    Consider my considering a Silverado a bum steer. The truck's ok, the sales manager is a bandit.
  • Options
    tjh2tjh2 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any research data that has been done to examine the controversy over brands?

We are doing a ad campaign for the Toyota Echo at Montana State University-Billings and we did a survey. It showed Ford and Chevy as the favorites the most, but our class wants us to support this with other data--so I was just wondering if there was any that you knew of.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You might want to get in touch directly with JD Power, RL Polk, and/or Crain Communications (publisher of Automotive News). They have statistical data on the auto industry that goes back decades.

If you have trouble finding them, let me know, and I'll get addresses for you.
  • Options
    There are also regional differences for the price dealers are settle for and if the delership has a low overhead you might also see a willingness to accept little over wholesale. I have a dealer within 5 miles of me that will take me to work (13 miles away) and pick me up to get it after service is performed. It is also a relatively large dealership. The long and the short of it is that I ordered my truck... got a build date within 3 days and am looking to receive my truck only 7 weeks from the day I said I wanted one. Now where does all this lead... the best I was able to do and the deal was $600 over invoice. Am I trying to make myself feel better...maybe but, there is a cost of doing business and every dealership has their pfofit margin they want/need !
  • Options
    As an addition to my previous comments.. there is a dealer 15 miles in the other direction that is small, but apparantly he doesn't move as many units as the one I ordered from. I have a friend that ordered a Chev. 1500 Ext.cab 4x4 3 weeks before me from him and he hasn't even received a "build date" yet from this dealer !!!
  • Options
    brad24brad24 Member Posts: 3
    I have never seen a subject that elicits a more strong response than what brand of truck to buy.
    Even when I bought a horse, I did not get as many unsolicited opinions. I currently have a Chev on order but wouldn't bad mouth the Ford or the Dodge. Each has its own strengths. Personally, I dont care for the styling of the Ford 150, yet the HD 3/4 is really nice looking.
    At 40, I guess that I dont care which makes it down the 1/4 mile fastest. To me,with a cabin in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest, the 2 most important issues are ride comfort, and 4x4 prowess.
    Trust your instincts and buy what you like initially. Never pay more than 2-3% over dealer invoice and watch out for non-feature add on costs like dealer advertising.
  • Options
    sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    Well put Brad24
  • Options
    Brad24:

I couldn't agree with you more! Such strong brand loyalties seem to have nothing to do with honest comparison shopping.

I guess you could say I've been "shopping" all three trucks for the past ten years, ever since I first seriously considered getting a fullsize pickup. Numbers like 250hp vs. 260hp don't impress me, nor does 0-60 in 9.5 seconds vs. 10.0 seconds. All three trucks will do the job, depending on your needs.

For the past two years I've had the F150, and I loved it. Got me where I wanted to go with power and style, not one single problem. For the past two DAYS I've had the Dodge Ram, and I expect to be just as happy with this truck.

Why didn't I get the Chevy? In the end it came down to something as trivial as the missing fourth door and the long wait if I ordered.

Who wins? The person who loves their truck and can appreciate the others' choices. That's who wins.
  • Options
    larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    I agree that each brand has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Choices must be made as to number of doors, available options, and personal preferences. Another point that needs to be considered is the dealer. A good dealer with a good service department has won my business in the past even when they are not the lowest in price. I figure I save money in the long run when I can get in and out of the service department quickly, the first time, and without a fuss.
  • Options
    DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    It wasn't trivial to me. I really don't miss the fourth door and in fact in my personal situation find it a blessing since I pick up carpoolers every day and don't want the hassle of loading passengers on my driver's side in these cold Minnesota winters. My carpoolers, I'm sure, appreciate the vastly more comfortable rear seats. Chevy/GMC is way ahead in that department. Dodge is a long ways away in second and Ford is basically miserable for adults.

What I did find very important about the Silverado last night at the Camping and Vacation show in Minneapolis where all the big trucks were there together for comparison is that I made the right comfort choice. I'm but a mere 5'-9" tall and I can step up and slide into my Silverado seat in one easy motion with the z71 off-road option and bigger tires. I could not do that in the Ford and Dodge. I'd have to buy steps or nerf bars (which I don't want). The Silverado has a shorter step up yet has more under ground clearance. The passenger side has a grab handle inside above the door like others plus a very hefty grab handle above the glove compartment.
  • Options
    In reading these boards I don't think any car manufacturer is offering an advantage in delivery. It seems all have been griping. For the record, I got my Silverado in 8 weeks of placing the order and I changed my options midway through the wait.

Dealer convenience is important to me. Fortunately, I commute along a highway that seems to be one of those dealer alleys. I could have bought anything. If you want a deal it might help if the dealer thinks you will be returning in a few years and will be bringing your car in for the periodic warranty service. They're obligated, nevertheless, to service your warranty no matter where you purchased but courtesy and friendliness can be an intangible.
  • Options
    Hear, hear! on the intangibles. There's a big difference between cost & price. I've been Ford-loyal for over 20 years primarily because of the service managers & mechanics, not just the vehicles themselves. I know the GM & Chrysler stuff is basically just as good; the real differences are in matters of taste - sometimes physical dimensions, etc., since the wife is barely 5' she has trouble with pedal placements in some. Find whichever shape & style suits you. DON'T go just by road reports & repair history averages.
  • Options
    Davydd, I'm to 5.9" and When I was at the chevy dealer getting an oil change for my Ram, I thought I'd go check out the new chevy x-cab. There is not much room back there. I got in and my knees were crunched against the back of the passenger seat. Also that stupid curve they put in the rear
    back support kept me in a more forward leaning position which was very uncomfortable. The only way you can make room back there is if you slide the passenger seat forward. And dodge is not way behind, there rear bench is more comfortable. The rear cushion might not be as padded, but it's padded enough. Any way next year the ram will have gained 5 inches back there making it the most roomiest interior ext-cab out there. Unlike chevy's largest exterior cab among the big three.

Im not saying that it's a bad truck, but It's doesn't have as much room as the dodge does, Or should I say usable room. Oh, and on the door thing, I guess when chevy brings the fourth door to it's truck, it's going to turn you away, eh!
  • Options
    I don't know what all the hoopla is about the new GM trucks having gobs of interior room. It's just that, hype and hoopla. My neighbor just bought a Silverado, I've ridden back there and there's not much more leg room than in the old style truck it replaces. The only difference I can tell is that the seat back is laid back at more of an angle. But the seat bottom, like all extended cab trucks, is still way too short and the leg room is still poor, unless the front seat is pushed up about four inches. Then it's too cramped for the front passenger or driver. I'm 6'-0" and wouldn't want to ride back there for much more than an hour. Silverado/Sierra may have a few inches more than the Ram or F-150, but face it, if you want real passenger room in a pickup back seat buy a crew cab.
  • Options
    there is more leg room in the chevy. If you look at the gap between the edge of the backseat and the back of the front seat, its about the same.
    So whats the difference? The amount of seat underneath your legs. about 5 more inches. Legs are much more supported, the seats are fuller, taller, better reclined. its not a crew cab, but its the MUCH closer than ford or dodge. I don't believe a 5'9" person could be uncomfortable, you should be just fine. The salesman i spoke with was about 5'10" in the backseat, while I, at 6'8" was in the front with the seat ALL the way back. Both of us had room. At carshows, I literally could not physically sit in the backseat of a Dodge or Ford, even with the quad cabs--I had to spread my knees apart wider than my flexibility would allow. When sitting in the middle of the back seat of a dodge or ford with bucket seats, the driver could use my legs for arm rests. I can sit in the backseat of the Chevy's no problem, (as long as the seat is only about halfway back, not all the way) and still have room to squirm around. I sat back there for 15 minutes while a buddy test drove, and was very impressed with the relative comfort. The longer "base" portion of the seat makes all the difference in the world.

So, dodgeram, i guess we have quite conflicting reports: You could not fit in the rear seat of the X-cab Chevy, while I, at 11 inches taller, could with no problem. Interesting.
  • Options
    My Chevy salesman is 6'-8" tall and weighs a good 300 lbs. He sat in the back seat while demonstrating the features to me and my wife when we bought the truck.

The Chevy '99 Silverado X-cab rear bench seat has more leg room, more bench depth, more back recline, more padding, and headrests (last not on Dodge or Ford). That's facts, not opinion. If you believe otherwise you are simply in denial or you mistakenly tried the '99 C/K series pickup still being sold. This is this year, not next year.
  • Options
    My neighbors truck, the one I rode in and drove, is a new '99 Silverado 5.3 4x4 Z71, not the "old" C/K. I agree there's more room back there than in Ford and Dodge. I just don't think it's all its cracked up to be and wouldn't want to ride back there for longer than an hour or two. We're talking the difference between a phone booth and a coat closet here; one's a bit larger than the other, but what's the point when they're both relatively cramped? I think the Silverado is a very fine truck, by the way, and would buy one in a "heartbeat" if I didn't like the Ford SD so well. I own a '99 GMC Suburban, BTW, so I'm not biased against GM vehicles. The Ford SD ain't perfect either, but I like it better than the other trucks I've driven so that's what I went with. I'll be interested to see what GM comes up with in two years when they bring out they're new HD trucks. The Dodge RAM should be revamped by then, too. We should be so lucky to have such a great selection of trucks to choose from. The intense competition between the manufacturers only means we'll all benefit with better trucks. Is this a great country or what?
  • Options
    cdean, you had the front seat up 4inches. With it back all the way the silverdao, I sat in, my knees were right up aganinst the back of the seat.
  • Options
    I'm in that shrinking 10-15% market of regular cab buyers, so back-seat room or the number of doors is irrelevant to me. But my long-bed has better payload and towing than the equivalent extended cab models, plus I get a shorter wheelbase and a larger gas tank. Enough gain that I was able to stay with a better riding and more economical 1/2 ton instead of 3/4. But my needs are as varied as the other 85% who want the doors and back seat.
  • Options
    I, too, ordered a reg cab Silverado. A big reason was that the rear seat in the Silverado with the front seat in my normal driving position was damn uncomfortable (I'm around 6'). Knees up against the back, funny angle on the seatback, lots of extra money......
    I am coming off a ford crew cab, so my expectation for rear seating comfort is quite high.
  • Options
    Oops, sorry folks...tow rating is the same for regular cab or extended cab on my model, but other items still apply.

I think if I needed a Chevrolet truck with a back seat, I would be seriously remiss if I didn't take a hard look at the C/K crew cab.
  • Options
    aaron8aaron8 Member Posts: 22
    as far as the competition between the big three, i love it. that just means better vehicles choices for us. i'm not too picky myself. i just want what i like. i owned a ford ranger, a dodge dakota and now a 99 silverado. at the time that i bought each of these, they suited my needs at the time relating to price, room, or comfort. my goal is to buy a HD duelie with a crew cab. whether it be chevy, ford or dodge, we'll have to see at the time who has the biggest bang for the buck.
  • Options
    For all of you who are concerned about the legroom in the Ford-Dodge-Chevy extended cab, super cab, etc. pickups:
    If legroom and rear seat access are so very important, why not get a crew cab? In the Ford Super Duty CC's, the back seat has about as much room as the front seat. You may give up a small amount of payload, but there's lots of interior room. And with the short wheel base, it's not TOO long...
  • Options
    because not everyone can afford a 3/4 ton, bigger engines, worse gas mileage
This discussion has been closed.