Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge,Ford,Chevy------who wins?

Comments

• Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Did you ever notice most people that buy Dodge rams are 1st time Truck owners!
    They don't know anything about trucks. TO bad they have to learn the hard way.
  • Options
    ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    I'm sorry, dave40, but your view seems narrow-minded. I am NOT a first-time truck owner and I picked Dodge out of the Big 3. There is such a thing as personal preference. Each truck has its own merits and its flaws. It all boils down to what will best suit a person's driving needs and taste. I think it's admirable the way support your choice, but you should not criticize others for theirs.
  • Options
    dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    Reply to first time buyer buying dodge has to learn the hard way.

You should be making that coment to all the first time buyers buying the chevy, with all those lists of complaints, from cheap interiors, to diesel engines injectors, to defects.

Dave40, you also said the chevy was faster 0-60 and has more power than that of the ram. Well heres news for ya, the latest test in truck trend magazine shows the chevy coming in last on the dyno tests, with only 185hp, fAR CRY from 275hp they claim. But it did win zer0 to 60 times when with the empty bed, but when the weight was added, the cehvy dropped of considerably in acceleration times, and the dodge beat the chevy and ford. Plus dodge is the heaviest truck of the bunch, with the heaviest motor. So when it come to real power --- dodge WINS!
  • Options
    CHEVYS new VORTEC ENGINES will smoke the old outdated dodge engines any day of the week ! PROVEN FACT I drove the old dodges 5.9 and it is a joke. Maybe with some work it might improve like a good cat back and some headers. otherwise I wasn't impressed with the rams underpowered 5.9 250 hp engine. Did you drive the TRUCK of the YEAR yet. THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!
  • Options
    xl_1228xl_1228 Member Posts: 29
    Okay, maybe the Chevy will outrun the Dodge, but not by much. That doesn't matter anyways, because the Ford is still faster than the Chevy, no matter what GM's horsepower claims are. I've got the Popular Science article to prove it.
  • Options
    YOU CAN'T BELEAVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!

CHEVYS SMOKE FORDS ALL THE TIME AT THE TRACK
  • Options
    Chevys and ford trucks may beat the dodge when empty, but with the load, which most truck buyers buy the trucks for, the dodge OUT ACCELERATES BOTH FORD AND CHEVY, AND THATS A PROVEN FACT!. Dodge has more usable hp when loaded. The chevy and ford don't. They both need to rev alot higher to acomplish what the magnum does, which it does at a lower rpm. thus the engine will last longer, and brings the fuel milage up.

Dave40 are you deniying that the ram won't accelaerate 0-60 faster than the Chev. Because it does. So how can you say its slow.

P.s have driven the chevy, Its got just as much idle vibration as my ram, and speed wise it wasn't as quick as my ram. I timed it. My ram now with 15000Miles does zer0 to 60 in 8.6sec. Thats 1.4 seconds quicker from the first time i tested it when it only had 1000miles. The magnums become more stronger after there broken in properly.

What do have to say about the chevy dyno tests coming in so LOW.
  • Options
    Last year My buddies and I Took are Hogs to Daytona for bike week. My buddies Dodge delayed are trip big time. He has the 1994 5.9 broken in for 4 years and it could not keep up with the rest of us CHEVYS with the 5.7s. We all had matching trailers and same weight Hogs on them !
    So now whats your excuse ?
  • Options
    ande157ande157 Member Posts: 23
    What were the rear end gear ratios for each truck in the PS test? Were they in the same ball park? Engine size between the three trucks is comparable (within .2 liter, or about 12 cubic inches displacement. If the rear end ratios are close, then its a reasonably fair comparison. The 5.9 liter Dodge would be a comparable match vs. the 6.0 liter Chevy. Ford has no V8 that large - next step up is the 6.8 V10 in the SD.
  • Options
    The 5.9 liter WOULD be a comparable to the Ford 5.4 liter. The GM 4.8 is comparable to the Ford 4.6, and the GM 6.0 is comparable to the Ford 6.8 V-10.
    As for the rear end ratios, they didn't say, but I would suppose that they made them as close as possible. All were extended cab 2WD versions of the trucks, at the highest trim level.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I've saw a recent test in 4 Wheel (I think) where the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra were both quicker (0 to 60 and 1/4 mi.) than the 5.4L (260 hp) Triton. Note: All of these acceleration tests are not performed using timing lights, but with an outrigger-ed fifth wheel for measurement. Real world, Dodge, Ford and Chevy are very close, and depending on how you are equipped will make the difference. Bottom line, if acceleration and performance is what matters most, get a mustang, camaro or firebird. They would squirt away laughing from any of these trucks in any contest.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

the GM 6.0 is not the comparable engine to the Ford V10. The GM 6.0 replaces the HD 350, not the 454. There will be a new big block to take on the Ford and Dodge V10s when the heavy duty GM trucks are introduced (whenever that will be). The 6.0 goes up against the Dodge HD 360 and Ford HD 5.4.
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    there's a lot of spouting of "facts" and hard core numbers, and I'm sorry, but every truck is different, all the tests everyone is preaching over may have some fact to them at some point, but all you folks are saying is ford is faster than chevy, dodge is faster than ford, yadda yadda. look at the whole package kids. there's a lot of variables that determine performance for each individual truck.

dodgeram
    there are no PROVEN FACTs. did you know your dodge probably runs faster now than when brand new because most new trucks have limiters on the computer for the break-in period so people can't get overly wild with them. i know chevy's do, i'm sure dodge does too. no, your truck is not a wine, it doesn't not get better with time.

you also seem to be mislead on exactly what a chassis dyno is. did you know that your dodge will only have about 140-150 hp on chassis dyno. thats because you are measuring horsepower at the wheels and not the engine. if you pulled the engine out of the chevy and did an engine dyno on it, you would get---275 hp. Since wheels are turning slower than the engine, plus power losses thru the transmission, and driveaxle of course the numbers are going to be lower! i'm not knocking your opinions or likes, but you are saying a lot of technically "wrong" things about chevy's, dodges, etc. don't let opinions become facts.
  • Options
    Cdean is right dodgeram. The drivetrain takes a lot out of an engines power. An example: A Ford C-6 transmission takes 30 horsepower just to make it turn! Manuals drain less horsepower than an automatic, but they are still a sponge.

As for these dragstrip tests, they really don't matter all that much. A big part of it is how the truck is equipped and who is driving it. I don't really care if my truck is a tenth of a second slower or fasterto sixty than somebody elses.

I admit I was wrong kcram. Is that new big GM engine that 502 or whatever?
  • Options
    I've been observing this debate and I wonder, am I missing the point? Personally, I don't care which truck will win a stump-pulling contest or a drag race. When I did my comparison, I was interested in size, comfort, and everyday performance. Chevy lost because they redesigned their full size pickup and forgot about the 4th door - duh. Ford lost because they didn't have some of the options I felt would make my life easier. Dodge won because it met all of MY needs.

My truck criteria:
    - will it accommodate all the people I need to transport?
    - will it pull onto the highway quickly, even up hill?
    - will it be able to pass on the highway without choking?
    - are the controls and other interior items user-friendly?
    - can I fit all my junk in it?
    - does it have the look I want?
    It comes down to personal preference. Period.
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    well said, Ladyblue!
  • Options
    Chevys have better paint jobs
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

GM hasn't commented on what the new big block will be. I would seriously doubt using the crate 502 because the fuel economy would be horrendous. The Ford and Dodge V10s actually get decent mileage because the cylinders are small-block-sized (reasonable bore and stroke), I honestly wouldn't expct anything larger than 7 liters (427 cubes) if they stay with a V8 configurstion.

dave40,

Objective opinions are one thing - unfounded rants and nitpicks really aren't necessary. If the new GM pickups are worth their salt, the market will bear that out. The December sales numbers actually show that the Silverado has picked up some sales, but the identical new Sierra has actualy lost sales by an equal amount. Dodge and Ford have clearly led the way with heavy duty trucks - GM is going to have to prove their ability very quickly, especially with diesels, or the horse trailer pullers and chassis cab shoppers will continue to pick the Blue Oval and the Bighorn Sheep.
  • Options
    ande157ande157 Member Posts: 23
    A friend of mine who owns a several GM dealerships says he heard GM is working on a V10 for 2001 debut in their new HD trucks. He hasn't heard anything about a "502" V8 being offered.
  • Options
    akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Go Ladyblue! I liked your posting #378!

I also agree with quadrunner500s post about the muscle-car type vehicles being, perhaps, what Dave40 is looking for.

I think it is ATTITUDE (another posting board) that is coming through here. I have observed the postings Dave40 has made over that past month or so and suspect that he might be more comfortable in a Sport-Ute. At least the attitude I get is consistent with the way they drive their vehicles around Lake Tahoe and over Donner Pass. They are so “good” they can drive faster than is safe and have no concern for the safety or right of anyone else to be on the road. It’s interesting, also, to note that we see a higher ratio of sport-utes vs. “others” in accidents than there are sport-utes vs. “others” on the roads.

I further suggest that the “winners” are those who remember that the truck they are driving was a choice or a default of what was available at the time and recognize that others arrived at the vehicle the drive by the same process.
    If they chose the truck, there were reasons (more or less valid) that led them to that choice.
    If it was by default, they are waiting for the day that they have a choice.

The true “winner” is one who is NOT so myopic that they cannot appreciate the chance to see what others are driving and how their trucks are performing for them in their needs.

The best choice today may be a 2WD Tonka Truck. Next year, it may be a rig that will handle a 40 foot fifth wheel for over the road hauling a pair of off-road 4x4s.
  • Options
    Well said, akjbmw! To me, the "winner" is the truck that makes you most happy. I have no brand loyalties, and I've had to work my way up to my present truck. I've had a Mazda B2000, a Ford F150 and now I'm waiting for my Ram 1500. Each truck was near and dear to my heart.

Each brand has good vehicles and bad (remember the Chevy Vega, dave40?) When it comes to trucks, I feel the Chevy-Dodge-Ford question is too close to call. All three are great and picking one was VERY tough.

If you want me to see your point of view, dave40, you must give me more than chest-thumping and hocky-fan shouting. The info provided by you and others may be good, but let's not forget that the majority of the time spent driving will be under "normal" conditions, with the driver sitting behind the wheel, not hanging under the chasis.
  • Options
    I was taliking about the rear wheel hp. But what gets me is why does chevy rear wheel hp drop off so much? For having the highest engine hp of 275, it has a lower rear wheel hp then both ford and dodge!
  • Options
    I heard about the 502 from dave40.
  • Options
    mikey5855mikey5855 Member Posts: 14
    I also agree with ladyblue. I don't really have any brand loyalties except that my father in law would probably kill me if I ever bought a GM product (he has thought since the 30's that they are trying to take over the country). I am one of those "ignorant" first time truck buyers, although I owned a Cherokee for a long time. I saw a new Ford SD CC on the road about 4 months ago and said "I NEED one of those - I've GOT to have one"!! With two growing kids we now need more room for our camping stuff than our minivan can comfortably hold, and the CC has a huge back seat with great access - we also now plan to get a travel trailer. Also my wife has had several close calls on the road with crazy drivers here in Las Vegas. She wants something she can feel safe in. She's now telling me that she's gonna take the SD when it comes (we don't have it yet) and let me get an F150 to drive to work. I've been admiring the Dodge trucks for several years now but the Ford is the one that stuck out when the time was right. When we took a test drive and pulled up next to a Suburban, and my wife was looking down at it - that's when she decided that she couldn't live without it either - I never thought I'd convince her but I didn't have to!! So, I've got nothing against Dodge or Chevy, but the Ford is the one I'm getting (F250 CC 4x4 V10 3.73lsd, etc., etc.) and I know I won't regret it.

BTW, an observation for what it's worth. In reading the different topics here, it seems that most of the complaints on the Dodge conference relate to equipment failures while most of the complaints on the Super Duty conference are about how long it takes to get one.
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    In fairness (and I love the SD), the Dodge has been around longer and has had more time to break down :-) I think most people won't have a serious mechanical problem with any truck they purchase new.

Sounds like you're getting a great useful truck though, all things considered. I hope it works out and you're as happy this time next year as you are now.
  • Options
    Enjoy, Mikey. I've had great luck with my F150 4x4. I chose the 8 ft bed because I, too, am a camper. With a high-top cap on it I can fit all my gear (two tents, screen room, and a full compliment of neccessities) PLUS a load of firewood, and still have plenty of room in the passenger area for 2 adults and 3 teenagers.

I don't know about the SD though. That may be more truck than your wife needs. The lighter duty trucks handle a little better for the around-town stuff and get better gas mileage. Just a suggestion, not a criticism. Whatever your heart desires!!
  • Options
    A very good point...

And I won't really be happy until I get the truck.
  • Options
    Maybe I'll let HER drive the F150 (if we get one).
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I wish I could have justified the Ram 2500 24V Cummins turbo diesel. I like the Ram interior the best. I like the exterior styling tie for first with the SuperDuty Ford. I really don't like what Ford did with the interior. So it came down to the Ram 1500 5.9L or Silverado/Sierra, and I went with the Silverado because it is the newer engine, newer design, and forgive me for saying, but has the most car-like ride. The F150 is its equal in just about every area except some minor things that really have irritated me about them in the past. For instance, the air conditioners have not felt as cold, and I was sick and tired of bouncy, noisy speedometers. The Chevys have used electronic speedometers for a longer time now.
  • Options
    tnt2tnt2 Member Posts: 115
    You are right, those things are in the past. I wouldn't let past irritations or discrimintions make up your mind. I use to make fun of Ford owners..Found On Road Dead...For Old Retired Dunkards...etc... I now own 2 and eating a lot of crow.
  • Options
    jeep10jeep10 Member Posts: 11
    Fords are good trucks, and Dodge makes a great desil, but want Chevy eventually last longer?
  • Options
    Chevy The Longest Lasting Best built Trucks on the road.
  • Options
    jeep10jeep10 Member Posts: 11
    dave-where do you live and what do you drive?
  • Options
    I live in Newark NJ
    I drive anything I can steal.
  • Options
    nuwonuwo Member Posts: 63
    I've been checking these conferences out for the past few days and am extremely impressed by the wealth of knowledge possessed by (most?) all of you.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a 1/2 ton. I've done a bit of homework, but I'm having a hard time deciding on the best truck and best drive train. I'll use the truck for occasional hauling of a boat, some light off road (dirt roads) travel, and extensive highway travel. I'm also going to get an extended cab as I need someplace to put my boys and dog.

Any advice?
  • Options
    Silverado Z-71 5.3L 3.73 rear. Test drive one !
  • Options
    nuwo:
    It's a matter of personal taste. As much as I like GM, if you have kids and a dog you might need a fourth door. Since GM forgot to add one, my choice was narrowed down to Ford and Dodge. Both good trucks, both will do what you want.

I've had an F150 extended cab for two years. Not a single problem and did well as a family vehicle (three teenagers). But when it came time to decide on a new truck, I picked Dodge. Why? The Dodge dealer gave me a better deal than the Ford dealer. More truck for less money.

My advice would be to check out the specs on each truck you're considering, visit dealers to see the trucks in person, and test drive. You have to be happy with things like interior and looks, as well as engine size and capabilities. Good luck!
  • Options
    What do girls know about trucks ?
  • Options
    DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    Dave40, you might get your head handed on a platter with a comment like that. You need enlightenment.
  • Options
    ENLIGHTEN ME !
  • Options
    DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    My preference turned out to be the Silverado z71 extended cab 1500 LT. Here are some web sites that might be of some help:

http://www.motortrend.com/august98/trux/trux_f.html

http://www.motortrend.com/dec98/toy/toy_f.html

These are head to head comparisons with lots of information. In addition, there are literally dozens of reviews online of all the trucks. You can make your own comparisons. But best yet, go test drive them.
  • Options
    Dave40:

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. {*_-}
  • Options
    nuwo, look at the dakota. If possible wait for the 2000 model year. Both the ram and dakota are going to have significant upgrades. The dakota will have four full doors, and a 5ft some inchs box. Plus a new v8 powertrain with a new transmission made for it, currently in the new grand cheroke, which has already won many awards. The ram will get this new powertrain aswell and also the quad cab is gaining five inches, which will make for the roomeist x-cab of the big three, and without have to put four fullsize doors on it.

DAve40, what do you know about trucks? Because you don't know nothing about girls!
  • Options
    New Dodge truck will run on Human waste!
    They will call it the new Dodge Dump Truck
  • Options
    See what I mean?
  • Options
    nuwonuwo Member Posts: 63
    Thanks to all of you for your help! Almost seems like a no lose situation. If anything else come to mind, please share it with me.

Dave40, I value your advice on the truck. Your sexist and bigoted statements (e.g., those about Dodges) have no value. Please do us all a favor and keep those to yourself.
  • Options
    mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    Dave's IQ must be what the 40 stands for. I don't think he owns a truck, because I suspect he's too young to drive.
    Dave, does your Dad know you are playing on the internet?
  • Options
    It dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure out who makes the best trucks !

CHEVY

The longest lasting best made trucks in the world !
  • Options
    ditto1ditto1 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently running a longivetytest on a GMC 1500, only have 118000 on it so far. Will let you no when the repairbills get real bad
  • Options
    sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    Yeah, Chevys must be the best built, that's why Ford out sells them every year. Makes perfect sense to me.
This discussion has been closed.