Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dmbst68dmbst68 Member Posts: 50
    My girlfriend is looking for a new car and she was interested in Civic and Golf. She emailed a local VW dealer, asking for lease figures. She also stated that there was a Civic LX coupe (auto) for $179/month for 4 years w/ $1950 down. In no way did she say anything slanderous and this is the reply she got from the internet sales manager:

"Started doing a little figuring for you and I remembered November's lease ad.

Beetle GL 5-speed (about the same as your golf automatic in price). It was $229/month + tax, 48 months, 12k mi/yr, $0 down.

So, if you were to take care of your negative equity yourself in your current car, we are still over where you wanted to be as this works out to $250/month out of pocket. And more miles would be about $260.

What else can I do, that was even using a discounted price?

A stripped Honda civic is hardly equivalent to a Golf. Even a nicely equipped Civic is only coming close. We beat their warranty, safety, and quality. Apples to oranges, even though Honda makes a nice product. And nope, there is NO extra "end of the month" money floating around. VW doesn't do any funny money kind of advertising/assistance. You know, real cars, real deals; like the slogan!"

What are your opinions??? A local Honda dealer said that they'd give her $$ towards her negative equity and they have extra $$ to work with at the end of the month, which we knew anyways. This VW dealer's attitude is sarcastic. Considering our current sluggish economy, I would think dealers would have an attitude that welcomes sales & inquiries.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Does the deal from Honda include her negative equity? If it does and she is SURE she wants to keep this car for 4 years and won't go over the mileage allowance then I say go for the Civic. A better option might be to just buy the car outright. It may be more per month but the car is yours and you can put as many miles on it as you like and the insurance will be cheaper. Some banks will finance for 72 months (I don't recommend this but it's no worse than a 4 year lease) which would help bring the payments down.

I wouldn't buy a VW based on their quality history but that's your decision. Buy what you both like but understand what you are getting into.
  • birdsfanbirdsfan Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my '02 Civic EX Sedan this weekend and I think I got a great deal. It also came with a few dealer installed options, which I really wasn't shopping for but the dealer threw in anyway. Invoice on the car (w/ Dest. Charge) is $16,003 and TMV is $15,600 +/-. I got it from Sport Honda in Silver Spring, MD for $14,600 +/-. Julius Crane was a wonderful guy to work with, no nonsense and very straightforward. BTW, Honda is still offering discounted financing of 1.9% 12-36 mos. and 3.9% 48 - 60 mos. I only have 65 miles so far, but I am very pleased with the car.
  • edwarda1edwarda1 Member Posts: 18
    I will be looking at leftover SI on Thurs.This is dealer's last one. I want to trade my 2001 Civic EX Coupe with 26K. Has spoiler and wind deflector.

Ideas on how much it should cost me.
  • napapacodanapapacoda Member Posts: 42
    I was wondering if anyone found any real good deals on the 2002 SI? I am interested in one and live in Connecticut but cannot find a dealer that is anywhere near the deals that moparbad has found in IL. Has anyone found similar deals in the Northeast or found a better deal? Lastly, moparbad, have you confirmed the place that is asking only $13,750? It sounds to good to be true.
  • rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    Hey, Napa

The best real price I've found around here is 16K, and they're still not selling many. LOL, then there are the 'proud ones' bent about offers at $17,500. I expect there will be 02's around for quite a while.
  • hamproofhamproof Member Posts: 241
    In my zipcode, I'm getting a price of $15,700 w/ dest. included. So, you are looking at about $15,240 before dest, tax, title, plates.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    $14,995 is 100% confirmed price. Dealer in my area still has 7 '02 at that price. $14,595 was advertised and I called the dealer and they had only one Si available at that price. They had other Si but they were '03 and selling for $16,895. The $13,750 price is unconfirmed and I find it difficult to believe, though it was reported by someone from out east.
    In the past Honda has never offered any rebates and I think Honda dealerships as well as Honda pride themselves for not doing so. The attitute, we don't need to offer anything coz' the cars sell by themselves.

However, this time around w/ the Si invoice at $17,362 or $17,822 with dest, how is it they are sold at $15k??

Let's see. The holdback is 3% of MSRP. So that will be about $600. So, the lowest possible price is $16,700 or $17,200 with dest. Now at $15k (not sure w/ or w/o dest), it is at least $1,700 less than the cost to the dealership.

Keep in mind the holdback of $600 is for the dealers who sold it the minute the car comes in. As it is sitting in the showroom, it's eating away that money from Honda.

So, is Honda giving some factory to dealer incentive for the first time (that I know off)? Maybe around $2000??

I guess in this instance, the early bird didn't get the worm. Lucky for us Oct, Nov, Dec buyers.
    Best I could get out of carsdirect.com was $18,460 on a '02 SI, searching on "38114" (Memphis area). Not much of a deal, LOL.

Mopar & Ham, in what zip codes are you finding those prices? For a $1000, I'd go a ways for pick up.
    http://www.communityhonda.com/advertised_specials.htm Chicago area. I know Community would love to sell their 2002 Si's. Probably can go lower than $14,995 or at least get floor mats thrown in. Doc fee is $50 or less.

I purchased a 2003 Tacoma in Atlanta, GA a few weeks ago. Flew out in the morning and was back in Chicago late that night.

I'm using 48375 which is suburbs of Detroit.
    Thanks, Guys

If I buy in ChiTown or Motor City, you've got dinner.
    Moparbad - Thanks for the quick response. If the dealers around here won't match their price, maybe I will have to take a flight over to chicago. If you ever get that price quote confirmed from east for 13750 or anything even near that, please post it.

Does anyone know why carsdirect fluctuates in price so much based on the zip code you enter? Do they try to take into account how much people make in a certain area and use that to their advantage? using hamproof's zip code it quoted me at 15,621, but when I use my zip code it quotes me at 17,960. So far it does not seem that I can get a lower price than 16,000 on one in CT. If I purchase the car in Chicago, I can still get any warranty repairs done in a Honda dealer in CT right? I've never bought a new car before, only used from private sellers so I am not familiar with dealer warranties.
    I almost forgot, is the $14,995 quote from Community Honda include destination charge or any other charges? Also, do you know offhand if they included the Dual Side Airbags in the price? Sorry for all the questions, I am going to try and haggle down a price around Connecticut either today or tomorrow and want to have as much information as possible. Fair Honda in Danbury has about 7 2002 SI's left in stock so hopefully they will be desperate to sell them off.
    Destination is included. Side airbags are not included. The only charges in addition to the $14,995 is the doc fee (about $50) and no other BS fees.
    Hello, I was just wondering if anyone else could update on their recent prices for a 2002 SI. Through emails (which I never thought would work) I have gotten down one Honda dealer in CT to go to $15445 after destination, but I am still trying to get him to go lower or find a dealer who will acknowledge and match Community Honda's price. Does anyone know if there is a program that Honda offers where they could move their cars from one state to another for free? I would purchase the SI from community Honda, but I do not want to put the miles on it from Chicago to CT. I would not mind if it went to a large location in NY or anywhere in CT to pick up, but it seems stupid to put all those miles on it and waste a lot of my time to save $460. I am also trying to ensure that the documentation fees are not too expensive in CT as I will go to NY if the fees there are more reasonable. Lastly, this is a little off topic and it looks obvious to me, but I wanted to see whether I was right or not. Does the Honda Civic SI have the same exact engine as the RSX(not type s)? It is strange because I was looking around for a intake and noticed that K&N typhoon intakes are only available for the type s and the honda SI and they both show the same pictures. It is strange to me because why wouldn't the intake work on the lower line RSX, but work on the SI.
    If you are down to a $460 difference and want the Si then go for it. Not worth a trip to IL for $460. The engine in the Si is similar to the one in the RSX and RSX S but not identical.
    The base RSX engine and the SI engine are the same engine with one major exception. The SI uses balance shafts while the RSX does not. Makes the SI engine smoother. But the RSX puts out more torque and has a taller 5th gear so the cruising RPM will be lower.
    Thanks for the input to everyone. So far I now haggled down one dealer to $15318 after destination. Now it is close enough where I will go in and see how much I can get for my 1998 civic EX. It has every dealer addon besides fog lights and abs breaks so hopefully it will be worth a decent amount.
    It is good that you negotiate on the Si before the tradein. But now that you have a relatively good price on the 02 Si, you'll probably get a poor trade in value on the 98 EX unless of course you have an 00 Si. They'll give you top dollar for that! Even more than what you paid for guaranteed.

But since you have a 98 Civic EX, I expect you to not get more than $9k trade in. I assume it is a coupe since I believe EX Sedans come w/ ABS standard. And it comes loaded from the factory. Are the addons are the pinstripping and tinted glass, nose mask, moonroof visor etc? If so, they won't add value to the car much.

Let me know how far off I am on the tradein value.

At least at $15,300 w/ dest. included, you are $700 better than me and I bought it about a month ago. You are about $1200 better than a few that bought it in Sept/Oct timeframe. And at least $2k better than those who bought it early Fall and probably a whopping $3k better than those who bought it when it first came out. So when it comes time to sell, you'll definitely undercut their prices assuming of course someone will buy our cars since Honda has to give them away them (practically) for us to buy them. Average Civic EX prices are higher than Si.

That's what Honda gets for pricing the car for $19k when competitors are offering more for less. Looks like Honda don't sell by themselves anymore.
    Actually EX Coupes with an automatic transmission had standard ABS.
    hamproof - I haven't been inside a dealers door yet to see the price, but the one who quoted me a range said 5800-7100, which I laughed at. I was looking for 8k for a trade in value, but would settle for 7,800, but doubt I will get either when the dealer knows how much he is losing in the sale of the car. Off the top of my head, the features the original owner had to pay extra for were the alloy wheels ($800), moonroof visor, 6 disk cd changer, rear spoiler, but I think they included the mats, splash guards and half nose mask when it was originally purchased. After that, the windows were tinted to I believe 35% (I asked for the darkest legal tint in CT). I will most likely sell the car privately, but plan on going to a couple of dealers to see how much they would give me for a trade in value on Wednesday.

Anonymousposts - 4 door EX's came with ABS standard. 2 doors did not, at least in 1998.

I was wondering if anyone thought if I waited until the end of the month I could haggle in a little better price. I figured that its the end of the year and they want to move as much as possible so that their end of year numbers look better.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to swap my exhaust from my 1998 civic ex to the 2002 civic si? I doubt it is possible, but I didnt know since it is just a catback exhaust. The exhaust is listed to fit in the 1992-2000 civic exhaust, but it Apexi, the manufacturer, does not state anything about 2001+ civics or any other car for that matter, on their website. It says it will work for "Civic Coupe 92-00 EX / Si, DX 92-95". I also have an AEM short ram air intake on the 1998 civic, but I figured because of the engine design on the 2002, it would not work out.

The only thing that dissapoints me about the SI are the 15" wheels. I guess with the deals going around now, I can afford to put on some 16"'s or 17" lightweight wheels.
    Looks like I was being overly generous. Yeah, I guess all dealerships are the same. The evil of this world but one that we must deal with each and every time we want to buy a car.

Yeah, best is to sell the car to a college students. Most recent graduates do not think of buying Civics and Corollas anymore. In fact when I sold my 97 Civic EX Coupe WITH NO ABS, I sold it to a college student back in Dec 2000.

It wasn't easy to find a buyer either coz' at that time was still the good times. Dot.com era. Unfortunately, in just a month of two after that, things started to head downwards.

Don't feel disappointed about the 15" rims. Anonymousposts will have you know that the Si never came with anything more than a 15" rims and the rims are more than enough for the car.

Sure you can wait till the end of the month and try to save maybe a hundred or two more. But at that time you might be left a few that are not in the color of your liking or they have some miles on them etc.
  • tdattdat Member Posts: 27
    I've been trying to get dealers to go below invoice but the best I could manage is $200 above invoice.

Anyone done better in San Diego area?

Thanks.
    I'm not trying to start an debate here but I'm just tell you this to maybe help you sell your car. EX coupes with the manual transmission were not available with ABS. However EX coupes with an automatic transmission had standard ABS.
    I thank you for your post. I still think you are mistaking the 2door with the 4door. I've driven the car since May 2000 and have driven it in the snow and ice but have not felt the pounding of the abs on the brake pedal. The original owner told me that he purchased every option besides ABS, so I doubt it has ABS. If I am wrong, I am, but for some reason I do not think it has ABS standard. Since I am no authority on this, I cannot say 100%, but it was to my recollection that while searching for a used civic, I found that the 4 doors had it standard, but with 2 door models it was an option. It was a big deal and still is and is actually one of the reasons why I want to sell this car.
    I remember back in 97 when I wanted a Civic ... the EX sedans all had ABS and if I wanted ABS in a coupe I had to get an automatic. Closest thing I could find to clear this up was when Edmunds said that in 97 Honda deleted the ABS from the 5-speed coupe but all automatic Civic EX's still had it.
  • tdattdat Member Posts: 27
    Just came back from Cush Honda in Escondido, CA. Purcahse Civic LX 2Dr Coupe 5sp for $14000 including mud guards, floor mats and protection pkg.
    check out edmunds for a 1998. It says price with options and shows ABS as an option. Also in the specs and safety page, go down to the safety part and it will say optional when it says anti lock brakes. I understand you looked for a 1997, but I've owned the 1998 for a few years, it doesn't have ABS standard. If you want a definitive answer, I will ask the Honda dealership when I go in on Thursday.
    You are wrong. I had a 97 Coupe Auto and it doesn't have ABS. Not even as an option. Only 4 door EX has ABS standard. This hasn't change in 98 either. I'm not sure about 99 though.
  • sigirlsigirl Member Posts: 13
    I got my SI one week ago for 15,200 including sales tax and finace charges and EVERYTHING. no side air bags though. and im in STL Missouri
    What was the sales price of your Si? I do not know what sales tax rate for MO is, or the finance charges, or doc fees. Was it under $14,000?
    Oh well .. it doesn't really matter about the ABS. I just recall that being the case in 97.
    I am also interested in hearing how much it cost you to purchase the SI for before sales tax and documentation fees. Also, if you could, please let us know the dealership, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I went to two Honda dealerships today looking at the 02' SI. Both of them online say that they have like 5-10 02' SI's in their inventory, but both of them told me they only had two left, conveniently one silver and one black (the two colors I told them I would be interested in). Is this just another scheme to make me try and purchase the car quick? I figure the ball is in my corner because it is Christmas and I am sure not many people have money to buy cars, rather buying presents for their family and relatives. The other thing was that the sales lady kept on saying what a great deal I haggled over the internet and she couldn't believe it (15,345). She actually went to the back to talk to the manager to make sure that he authorized that price. Is this just another scheme to make me feel that im getting a great deal and not get some freebies (I plan on trying to get either side air bags or fog lights added in, either that or a combo of side skirts, splash guards and floor mats).
    I'm with the other people. It seems unlikely you got the car for $15,200 out the door. That would mean it cost you around $14,200 or so. Besides, finance charges I presume mean you are financing the car. So, I think you meant to say $15,200 PLUS not INCLUDE sales tax, finance charges etc.

Either that or you have a tradein which you didn't disclose.
  • chalupnychalupny Member Posts: 39
    I think sigirl is in for a rude awakening once she figures out she still has to go down to a state license office and pay her sales tax - which is gonna probably be a little over a grand. Bummer for her if she hadn't planned on having to pay this.
  • njcar1njcar1 Member Posts: 16
    What they told you about availability of cars is a complete scam. A few weeks ago they told me the same thing, we have only one left in silver, however just browsing around the lot (before I met the salesperson)I counted three other Si's (the exact number that they had as inv. on their site)on the lot. Don't beleive them, pure BS.
    Thanks for letting me know. It sounded like a big scam to me, the lady boldly told me that she wasn't high pressure, but after reflection, I see its all just a good act she puts on. I will have my game face on when I go back on Saturday for a test drive and to finalize on the price. I will also have a printout of their current inventory online as it changes everyday so I know it must be current. Unfortunately I cannot show them in person that they have more because they are in a crowded area of NY and after I asked, I found out that they have three different lots where they store the new cars.

Does anyone have any advice on reasons to give the salesmen on why they should lower their price or include addons in my current price of $15345? I plan on writing all my ideas down so I can go in with an edge and not forget them. I thought one good reason is that this time of year is dead, especially in the northeast. I figure most everyone spends their money on presents and cannot afford a new car. Additionally, although it is not the end of the month yet, it is coming close to it and I am sure they want to sell as much as they can so they do not have to spend any more money on insurance and interest to the bank (I figure by now Honda is not covering any of the interest on the cars for 2002's). If there are any other good reasons, please let me know. I want to get at least floor mats and splash guards included.
    I would offer $15,500 with the mats, splash guards, and cargo net installed. If you are at $15,345 that's as low as I think you might be able to go on the car unless you want to travel and the extra $150 would actually be a good deal for mats, guards, and cargo net installed.
  • rainiermanrainierman Member Posts: 1
    Summer 2002. Beaverton Honda, ORE. $17000 in 45 minutes. No sales tax! Choose any color, same price. They wanted to yank me away from a Saturn deal nearby, so it was a good no-bs talk. ($100 below TMV, $1000 above newspaper ad). Dealer was cooperative but some product neglect does exist. I found numerous scratches in the plastic near the ignition. Key-scratch on the clearcoat-painted exterior plastic near driverside keyhole. Cannot be touched-up! I'll have to replace the part down the road. So I was dissappointed even though I know the dealer didn't rip me off. I also work in sales and that happens when you have co-workers with no passion or ethic to support the product. Parts/service dept was very attentive. Same with Marin Honda in Calif.
    Hi, Guys

I just closed a deal on an '02 with mats, mudguards, and 'doc fee' @ $15,940 - Honda financed for 60 mo's @ 1.9%. LOL, actually the deal was for $15,800; and they nicked me for the mats, et al. The story . . . .
    The ins. co. declared mine totaled this afternoon. An hour or so later, the salesguy who did my test drive a couple of weeks ago called to say Honda is now offering 1.9% for 60 mo's. He'd never quoted a price and had to take my offer of 15.8 to his manager, who accepted it. When I got out there, he had the color Si I wanted waiting on me - LOL, with odo reading 67 miles. We then looked at 2 other white ones, and I bought the one with 20 miles on the odo.
    Paper signing time - The offer form was pre-printed with a $279 doc fee, LOL. I refused to pay that saying, "Remember, 15.8 plus TTL at 1.9. That's what I'll pay." He pointed out the mats et al, and I offered to split the $279.
    So, that's how it happened.
    BTW, the best quote I got in this region via the net was $15,995. That Community Honda site posted previously did confirm a $14,999 quote, plus $60 for docs and drive out tag.
    Glad to hear that you got a 02 SI! Hope you enjoy it. Not a bad deal, considering its approx 2grand below invoice, hehe. Hopefully now the insurance will give you a decent price on your 00 SI. I wasn't sure, do you mind telling us what state you bought it in?

Did anyone purchase the body side trim upgrade? I wasn't sure what that looked like/what does it upgrade. It sounds like side skirts, but at only approx $100, I don't see how they can do that.

Off the subject, does anyone know the wheel weight of the 15" stock wheel on the 02 SI?
    TY, Napa

I'm in Memphis and actively net-shopped the dealers from the Honda site within about 400 miles. LOL, one quoted 18.4K and got po'ed ("That's my internet price; no bargaining.") when I asked if that included TTL. I ended up buying where I bought my '99.

I settled the '99 Si at Edmunds retail used less $700 plus TTL, with some help from my insurance agent. That stuff I posted on the Si/SiR board.
    I think the side trim is the little dink preventer in the middle of the door. Most cars have this. The 02/03 Si doesn't have this. I think think you are going to get any side skirt for $100 :P

Someone on EPHatch.com did it. Bought the trims for a regular Civic, had it painted and installed. I looked at the pictures and it didn't look too good. I believe majority thinks it breaks the smooth look of the Si.

I've seen another photo of it in a white car. I'll see if I can dig it up. Found another one (but not the one I was looking for)

Congrats on the car. I paid the same as you too minus the mud flaps. The dealership I went to didn't have DOC fee. All cars that they sell the include floormats. No doubt all of these are already factored into the price of the car. Amazingly, their price (1 month ago) was $15,995 before tax and title. I transfer my plates and registration from a previous car for $10.

You got white too, right? Not sure if I like the looks of mud flaps on a white car. But since it was part of the price, I'm sure you are not complaning.

Cargo net if it was free would be good too but I looked at the *fitment* in the Si, and it doesn't look like it'll hold much. I rather have a cargo mat instead.
    LOL, it's that a great looking little car. Like Gee says, it just grows on you (buyer's drunk talking) - mini-minivan looks and all.
    Actually, I like the body side moldings, too.
    Yes, I got white also. And, yes, the dealer had done the mudflaps but had one white Si without them 'hiding' in his attempt to sell the higher mileage floor car. Up close, I like the 'finished' look; but I may take 'em off and paint 'em white.
    I get a kick out of the 'sales techniques'. With the info I've gotten here, it's possible to turn 'em to your advantage.
    I've no complains about the looks. I like the minivan looks actually. It the car has been a coupe, I won't have bought it ;)

Wait till you get a taste of the shake and rattle package. Free of charge courtesy of Honda. I just wish they have told me about this special package. I would have declined it. Unless of course you are as lucky as anony since her car is sewing machine smooth. Or smooth as glass.
    Ham -
    I wanted the shake and rattle package! Jeeze, I hope they didn't leave it off mine.
    I live in the home of Elvis and Jerry Lee!

If you don't want my peaches, don't be shaking my tree . . .

A whole lot of shakin goin on . . .
    That white SI in the picture actually looks kinda nice (minus the dent in the fender).

I had to have the mudguards. It helps bring the car down to the road if you know what I am talking about.

And yes, my car is still "smooth-as-glass" as I like to say. Gee had my oil changed yesterday and he says it seems even smoother. I shall see on my way to work today.