Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    ncampbell2002ncampbell2002 Member Posts: 163
    I don't know what you mean. Do you want to replace just the bulbs or the whole housing? If you are just looking to replace the bulbs then here you go. I have the PIAA Super Plasma GTx's and they not only look awesome and increase the visibility by %%%%%%%. They cost a lot but IMO are worth it. About the strut bar and the springs. They will improve your handling a lot but unfortunately will not protect your wheels any better than stock. If you are looking for different springs though, definetly go with Eibach. I don't work for them but my friends and I have only had good luck with them so far on all our applications.
  • Options
    pedrokimpedrokim Member Posts: 8
    I was thinking of changing the entire housing. I want to get rid of the orange from the boring head lamps, so I thought I'd replace them with new headlights. I was wondering if the new projector lamps would increase visibility.

I was always apprehensive about lowering the ride, but it seems that there would be no serious risk with those springs.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    whatever you go with, please aim your lights properly. You would not belive how blinding it can be at night to have someone with mis-aligned headlights coming up on you.

I think projector lights are fine, but HID's are better.
  • Options
    They will look better and increase visibility but if you go with something like an HID kit you're looking at a lot of $$$$.
  • Options
    Thanks again. I am going to get the projector head lights and installed by a professional. HID's are just out of the budget.
  • Options
    Hi guys, more questions. I have a 2003 Civic and have a DC Sports Short Shift Adapter installed. I do like the 30% shorter throw, but I was curious about the short shifter stick itself. I say this because after a year, sometimes it "sticks" when I shift into first. Maybe I just need some WD-40.

Anyone with a new Civic have a short shifter installed, ie Neuspeed? I am intrigued by the 45% shorter throw. Call me crazy. Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    I happen to have the same adaptor as you. Are you sure there isn't a problem with yours or it isn't installed right? I have had mine on there for 7-8 months and haven't experienced any sticking yet. The shorter shifter is only 15% shorter than what you have now and they are a pain to put in.
  • Options
    demoniclizarddemoniclizard Member Posts: 8
    Hey guys I recently bought a used 2000 civic ex coupe and my buddy offered to give me the stock tires from his 98 prelude since I didn't have any money to buy some nice wheels of my own. I don't know much about cars and I am not sure if I can simply swap the wheels out. The tires have been sitting in storage for a couple years now and theres a good amount of tread left on two, and a bit less on the other two. Is there anything critical I need to check before trying this or what?
  • Options
    pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I was wondering if anyone has installed it. And also do we need to get by pass valve here in los angeles.
  • Options
    Just ensure they are the same bolt pattern and offset, then you're good to go. Your local tire shop can give you that information. Also driver kinda easy on them for awhile and make sure the tires haven't dry rotted on you. You may even want to consider just putting new rubber on them just to be safe.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    The intake has to be completely submerged to hydrolock your engine, situations like that are pretty rare in Los Angeles. (where I am too) I have an AEM CAI with no bypass valve.
  • Options
    gatrhumpygatrhumpy Member Posts: 126
    My wife has a 2003 Honda Civic LX. I bought her the Terk XM COmmander unit that I had Circuit City install. They used the FM modulator, but I want to disengage that feature. I want to get an adapter to where I can just plug it directly into the back of the factor head unit. What is the adapter that I need, where can I get it, and how much will it cost?
  • Options
    oscarslifeoscarslife Member Posts: 6
    Anyone have experience putting power locks and/or a security system that has power locks on this car? I have seen the posts about where these products can be bought but I am a little concerned about putting it in. Is this something that I should have a professional do?
  • Options
    andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    For the cost of the bypass valve verses hydrolock engine repair, do the math. I lived in LA, and the High Desert, for 8 years total. I have seen puddles and flooded streets that would swallow up a Civic. So, if you go the CAI route, spend the extra $ for the bypass valve. IMO, is much cheaper, and will help you sleep at night during the rainy periods. I have just a short ram on my 94 EX 1.6, and removed the entire airbox system. Even the parts from the fender/wheel well area. So maybe I am getting some warm engine air, but with no restrictions, is much better, sounds great, competing with the catback Magnaflow/dual DTMs for audio pleasure. As for ICE, I prefer the intake and exhuast music, so factory system is okay, mine has the AR(air research?) sound system, with A pillar mounted tweeters. Works for me. As for you other Honda blokes out there, I can barely afford the upgrades, due to a lovely wife and 3 yearold apple of my eye daughter. So, I am with you in spirit. Hey, any of you catch a view of the Type R hatchbacks running in the BTCC? Now that is what we need here!!! SWEET! That alone is enough to make me move back to Germany(lived there 8 years also. Yes, I am a military brat)or over to England. Who needs NASCAR when we can watch the BTCC or Speed World Challenge on Speed Channel. Enough of my rambling.

Andrew
  • Options
    chillenhondachillenhonda Member Posts: 105
    02 Civic Ex 5-speed.

Looking to add Eibach Pro Kit or Neuspeed Sport Sprigns. Anyone have experience with either?

Should I also be looking to get new shocks/struts?

My goals are lower ride height for looks, slightly improved handling, and not too much ride penalty (I do lots of highway driving)

Thanks
  • Options
    I have an 03 EX 5spd. with the Pro-kit on it. Definetly makes a difference with the handling and appearance! You feel the difference some in the ride quality, but its not bad at all. It just feels more like a sport suspension and not like ur driving in ur Grandma's Buick Roadmaster. Anyhow, it was the best $375 upgrade I made to my car (price included springs, install, and alignment). Make sure if you do it urself or a shop to have an alignment done otherwise you will have some wedge shaped tires! Oh and I kept the stock struts, who knows how long they will last, but we will see. Car has 26K on it as of now.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. Very informative. Pretty similar situation. I think I will go for the Eibach Pro Kit.
  • Options
    demoniclizarddemoniclizard Member Posts: 8
    I recently put a 12 inch sub into my trunk. Whenever the bass is turned up I get a very annoying humming/rattling sound that I know is not sound produced by the woofer. I've tried locating the sounds source but its just impossible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also my license plate rattles VERY loudly as well...ive screwed it on as tight as it can go but it seems the problem is that there are only two screws on the top and none on the bottom...any fixes to that as well?
  • Options
    The rattling/humming is a result of the woofer resonating against the panels of the car. The only way you can fix that is by putting some type of sound deadening material such as Dynamat or something similar to fix that problem. A license plate cover will fix your other problem. You can pick one up at any department or automotive store.
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Anyone have a recommended dealer for buying replacement floor carpeting and headliners for an old civic wagon I'm restoring? The current headliner is not sagging but is cracked from age, I'd like to give it a new sharp look.
    Elissa
  • Options
    twizzelledtwizzelled Member Posts: 2
    i have a 90 crx and i need know if i can drop a 1992 2.0 honda perlude motor in it and if not what is the biggest motor i can put in it....

thanks
  • Options
    I don't know too much about engine swaps, and that 2.o will fit just fine. However, the early year motors weren't all that wonderful, from the Preludes. I'm not sure if they changed body styles in 92 or 93. But the newer model motor is a lot more tuner friendly. I believe Sport Compact Car magazine did an article in the past year or two, that detailed all the Honda motors for swapping into the Civic/CRX bodies. I remember in particular, that the early Prelude motors, until the 92 or 93MY, were not easy to get more hp from. I would advise looking into their website for archived articles, that cover the engine swapping choices. It will save you a lot of time and heartache. Plus, you wouldn't want to find out after the fact, that you can't do much to the motor you just installed. Oh yeah, good luck and happy motoring.
  • Options
    OH, one more thing, you may be able to squeeze the bigger 2.2 or 2.3 from the later Preludes. Even the new K20 series 2liters are now being swapped.
  • Options
    Why not go for the K20 from RSX or K24 from TSX? Sport compact car did this swap into an EG hatchback. One problem with such swap is that the K series egines rotate "the other way", the normal clock wise way, whereas previous Hondas always had engines rotating counter clockwise, and they were turned 180 degrees. So, you would need engine and trans combo, which you would probably do with prelude anyway. Of course the cost may be an issue.
  • Options
    I wonder if anyone has tried to modify the 2.0 from the S2000, for fwd use.
  • Options
    twizzelledtwizzelled Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the help
  • Options
    You are most welcome. By the way, I had an 88 CRX Si, had intake, ignition, and straight pipe exhuast. Was a lot of fun!!!
  • Options
    I wonder if anyone has tried to modify the 2.0 from the S2000, for fwd use.

If you have access to an F20 or F22 from the S2200, why not modify the Civic for RWD, utilizing the whole S2000/S2200 set up?

I bet you would get better "wow-effect" by having a one of a kind RWD Civic.

I do think that F-series has longer block than B,D, or K series engines. So, fitting it transversely in an older Civic may be an issue.

Accord/Element/CR-V/TSX's K24 block will most likely fit into the Civic's front end, and will provide more torque (160 lbs.ft) than any other engine from Honda's line up, sans V6's.
  • Options
    Yes, that K24 is a torquer. Hmmmm reminds me, I saw in Sport Compact Car, there are atleast 2 companies taking Focus hatches, stuffing V-8s under the hood and converting to rwd. One was an SVT, with a supercharged 5.4l putting out over 450hp. All told was about 65Gs for car and mods. If I had money to burn, that would definitely be the Friday night terror for me! LOL!
  • Options
    2002 Civic EX Coupe 5-spd, just purchased with 29K miles. It has 15” rims and 205/50R15 tires that the previous owner added. I just purchased and had installed Eibach Pro-Kit lowering lowering springs.

Opinion: a great product. It was $210 plus shipping off of The Tire Rack, which was consistent with prices from other places. It was about $200 to install plus $50 for an alignement. Probably not the best deal, but the place was highly recommended and close tomy home and work. The ride is hardly compomised, only on big freeway dips does the rear get slightly harsher, due to the shorter travel. Expansion joints, potholes, normal road bumps are just a little bit firmer. Didn’t affect steering in any way, not even over bumps. If anything, more control in corners. Handling is noticeably improved. Less body lean in slow and high speed turns, better body control, overall much more fun to drive. You notice the slightly lower seating position also. Looking at the car, even though its only a 1” drop, the tire to fender distance is much better and it looks more aggressive without looking ridiculous. I also havent had a problem with driveway entrances or speed bumps.

However, my two issues are that the place ran a computerized printout of the camber, which proved to be out of spec on 3 of 4 wheels, The Tirerack and some other places tell you that generally, with a 1” drop, you wont need the camber kit. This cost an additional $190 for all 4 wheels and $100 to install. You can drive without it, and nothing was wrong, but in the long run youd have poor and uneven tire wear. I wasn’t too pleased about the extra money. The other issue is that in tight turns, like parking, and slow speed driving under 5 mph, the front creaks loudly, like the springs arent set properly, or they are loading and unloading oddly. Its noticeable enough that passengers asked what the noice was. The install place said they would adjust it for free, but that it does take some time for the new springs to “set”. However, I have about 1000 miles on them and nothing has changed. Any ideas?
  • Options
    I have the same kit on my car as I mentioned earlier. You probably could have gotten it done cheaper. ($375 for me installed w/ alignment for me). The creaking sound is abnormal since I do not exerience the same thing in my car.
  • Options
    pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I have koni with Eibach sportline springs and my car creaks like you mentioned. It's very noticeable and annoying but got to live with it. My friends Audi makes the same creaking noise with same suspension setup as I have in my car.
  • Options
    millspdmillspd Member Posts: 104
    Hey Folks,

We recently purchased a 2004 EX Sedan (no side airbags) for my wife and were looking for seat covers for the two front seats and perhaps something for the center armrest as well. We've bought the generic one size fits all for other vehicles, and they, well, sorta fit. It'd be nice to find something that works better for our Civic though.

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to point us in the right direction?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I have three suggestions. All from the same company. www.gtcovers.com has custom made seat covers for Hondas for about $150 for a pair (both front or both back). See their other site at www.great-covers.com. Also, several cancelled orders for later models wind up on eBay for $10-30 per pair. Like this set http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=7921637190&category=33702
    I've ordered a set for the front of my 86 Civic and expect them any day now. I got them from eBay for $10 but got the set that fits 84-85 model years, so I'm not sure if they'll be just right. It also just so happens that my local Honda dealer sells these from the dealership for about $160 also - same exact company. Shoot me an email in a couple of days and I'll give you my comments on the quality and fit.
    Elissa
  • Options
    Hey Elissa,

Thanks for the suggestion! They look good. I dropped them a line about matching the ivory interior of our car. And thanks for the offer to let me know what you think of their products. I appreciate it.

Paul
  • Options
    I never understood why some people buy expensive furniture and then place the slip covers over them. Same with the car seat covers. They were meant to be used, not preserved. It is not a museum, just a Civic.

I have $1000 per seat, seats in the Civic (stock Si seats) and would never think of putting seat covers over the beautiful Red and Black Alcantara. They engineers at Honda spent numerous housrs trying to find a material that would have good grip and provide comfort. Why cover it?

Anyway, Costco has/had Neoprene seat covers for like $10, while people were selling them on ebay for $100's
  • Options
    It's mostly that my wife has some real issues keeping seats clean. :-) The seat covers on the car we traded in were pretty trashed, but we pulled those off when we cleaned the car up and the seats looked great underneath. That alone was worth a couple of hundred dollars at trade in time.
  • Options
    I love these seats as much as anyone, but $1000 a seat? No way...please don't let that be true.
  • Options
    I love these seats as much as anyone, but $1000 a seat? No way...please don't let that be true.

The MSRP on the seats is very close to $1000 each. I have seen some "Hot seats" go on ebay for $600. There have been a few instances where people's seats were stolen from the vehicles.
    These are the components:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?i- - - nputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR- - - +SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+SEAT+%28L.%29
    plus this
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?i- nputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR- +SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+SEAT+COMPONENTS+%28L.%2- - 9
  • Options
    Blueeye, you may feel ENTIRELY different about covering those beautiful red and black alcantara seats after 20 years or so. Worse yet, after 20 years of someone else's butt, dirt and crud have hit those seats. I'm paying probably $110 total for front and rear seat covers to cover up some rips, lots of stains and an inexhaustible amount of 'what could that be' on my recently acquired '86 Civic. I'm trying to breath a little new life into her both under the hood an in the cabin. Sort of a restoration project. Maybe in another 10 years, I'll do the right thing and have new uphulstary all together. As for new cars? As someone who plans to keep my '04 Subaru Forester XT for at least 20 years, I hope my seats never look as bad as the Civic's. I plan to buy seat covers to preserve the original uphulstary as long as possible. It may not be worth most people's money, but I dig cars and take a certain pride in what they look like (as you seem to also) - today and 10 or 20 years from now. I just prefer to spend $100 vs $1000, plus I like the stock look on both my cars.
    Elissa
  • Options
    Millspd - I got my seat covers today! I like them a lot. They fit nicely even though I ordered the wrong model year. The fabric is like OEM, nice and soft velour just like in a new Honda. There is padding behind the fabric for more durability and to give it more shape. There are velcro and stretchy ties to pull the seat cover snuggly around in places. I'd say you can tell after looking for about two seconds that it's a seat cover and not a factory uphulstary job (at least on my car) but it's a damned good cover and getting the right model year can only mean they look/fit much better. There isn't much elasticity to them though, so where your OEM seat back is depressed in for the small of your back, these will pull a bit taught over that area. It may conform more to the shape of the cushion over time though.

I'd see if you can't get them on eBay for $10-$30 - that's a STEAL. Otherwise, you can call their toll free number and pick them up for $99 if you tell them you're an eBay customer. The company again is http://www.gtcovers.com or their other site at http://www.great-covers.com. I would absolutely do business with them again. Getting my rear seat covers next for the '86 Civic and soon probably covers for the '04 Forester.

Take care!
    Elissa
  • Options
    I am stunned.

But I suppose that Honda pays much less for them than that - I hope. I wonder what the real-deal Recaros in the Ion Redline cost?
  • Options
    Hey Elissa,

That's great to hear and congrats!

I have been exchanging emails with gtcovers about the best color choice for our Civic since I did not see an exact match on the website, and they offered to send us fabric samples to see what would match best. Very cool!

So, I am anxiously awaiting the samples.

Paul
  • Options
    I am stunned.
    But I suppose that Honda pays much less for them than that - I hope. I wonder what the real-deal Recaros in the Ion Redline cost?

I believe the Si seats are a real deal Recaros, sans the labeling. CTR has same seats in red and labeled Recaro. Ion's Recaros are similar but leather bound instead of high grip Alcantara.

The seats can be had for $600/each at some online Honda parts dealerships.
  • Options
    Blueeye, you may feel ENTIRELY different about covering those beautiful red and black alcantara seats after 20 years or so. Worse yet, after 20 years of someone else's butt, dirt and crud have hit those seats. I'm paying probably $110 total for front and rear seat covers to cover up some rips, lots of stains and an inexhaustible amount of 'what could that be' on my recently acquired '86 Civic. I'm trying to breath a little new life into her both under the hood an in the cabin. Sort of a restoration project. Maybe in another 10 years, I'll do the right thing and have new uphulstary all together. As for new cars? As someone who plans to keep my '04 Subaru Forester XT for at least 20 years, I hope my seats never look as bad as the Civic's. I plan to buy seat covers to preserve the original uphulstary as long as possible. It may not be worth most people's money, but I dig cars and take a certain pride in what they look like (as you seem to also) - today and 10 or 20 years from now. I just prefer to spend $100 vs $1000, plus I like the stock look on both my cars.
    Elissa

This is where you and I have the difference of opinon. I would never put slip covers on my furniture. Same with car seats. I paid for the seats and intend to use them. If I wanted cheap(er) fabric in my seats, I would have bought those. The seats were made to be sat in, not looked at. I have had my share of used cars. That is when I bough seat covers, to cover someone's dropped burger, or god know what, stain. And to cover the ripped fabric. But, since I bought a new car, I am going to make sure that I enjoy it to the fullest. What is the point of having a 20 year old car with new seat fabric that you are going to sell, but you never got to enjoy?

You can also bet you penny, that I enjoy the rest of my Si to the fullest. At 15,000 miles I am on a second set of brake pads and rotors, as the stockies have warped from use. This time I installed Brembo blanks and EBC green stuff. And, once again, I will use them and enjoy them.

I used to love to buy these used cars that were in pristine new condition, but the saddest part was that the original owner never got to enjoy it. They babied the car as if it were a fragile flower.

I tend to enjoy life to the fullest. You only live once.
  • Options
    The Si seats are not Recaros (sort of an internet myth), but they are excellent.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter would like to talk with anyone fitting the following profile...."I'd love to find some folks who've modified their own rides. I'm particularly interested in people who've done this for the first time and were driven to do it, at least in part, from watching a tv show like Pimp My Ride, Overhaulin' or something similar. I'm looking for average drivers who are just discovering that they can personalize their rides. I'm not as interested in the traditional tuner crowd who've been doing this for years."

If you have a story to share, please send your name, daytime contact info and a line or two about your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, December 29, 2004.
  • Options
    dr. scruffdr. scruff Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know if I can just slap Accord Struts in my civic? I'm looking for some stratospheric hight so I can slap some wheels (perhaps also from an Accord?) onto my car that will provide some serious clearance. Yes, I do know that I will have to have some serious Sawzall fun as well.
  • Options
    Um....how big of a wheel are you looking to go? The stock Civic suspension and wheel well will accomodate an 18 inch wheel without any problem. I have a 17 inch wheel on my car with 40 series tires and they are plenty big for a Civic. I personally wouldn't go any bigger because you will start losing performance due to the larger wheel. Are you planning on making this a show car or your daily driver?

To answer your original question you can not just slap Accord Struts on your Civic. They use different types of setups, I believe the current Civic uses a Mcpherson strut in the front and a wishbone in the rear, whereas the Accord uses a wishbone type setup all the way around. You're gonna have to look aftermarket for this job and unless you're planning on slapping on some dubs or 22's on ur Civic, then there is no need to modify the original suspension. In fact, I put a lowering kit on my car to lessen the wheel gap since there was plenty of clearance. It looks a lot better.
  • Options
    Anybody know if I can just slap Accord Struts in my civic? I'm looking for some stratospheric hight so I can slap some wheels (perhaps also from an Accord?) onto my car that will provide some serious clearance. Yes, I do know that I will have to have some serious Sawzall fun as well.

A CR-V or Element suspension should fit just fine. Both the Element and CR-V are Civic derivatives. Not only you will gain clearance, but you have an option of AWD. The cost is probably going to exceed buying a brand spanking new CR-V, but hey, whatever rocks your boat. Look into getting a Honda HR-V imported from Europe or Japan, it is basically jacked up Civic wagon with AWD, it still may be cheaper than making said modifications to an existing Civic.
This discussion has been closed.