Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    thanks for the reply, Bill. At least I have a better understanding now of what is going on with my jeep. I, too, am not one to rely solely on a jeep for transportation. I recently bought a 4runner, hence my posting name. My jeep I primarily have now for backup, but I still like it a lot.
  • Options
    lselllsell Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 JGC. Last year the dealer replaced a bearing in the steering column and the creaking stopped. Now 1 year later it's making the same noise. When I first took it in they talked about replacing the whole steering column, but only replaced the bearing mentioned above. It doesn't seem to affect the steering. I'm going to take it back in and see what they can do. Otherwise I'm very satisfied with my Jeep.
  • Options
    vanphanvanphan Member Posts: 41
    I've been having a problem in the last few months with my 97 getting it out of 4WD. I have SelectTrac and the 4.0 w 86,000 miles. It's going in just fine but when I try to get it back into 2WD it won't go. This just happens on dry, hard pavement. It will go in fine if I'm on gravel, ice, etc. The indicator on the dash says 2WD and the lever is in 2wd. But I can tell it's still in 4WD esp. when turning. The dealer says this is normal, of course. A local transmission shop couldn't help either. They did point out, though, if I back up a way, it will come out. Similar to some GM's. Has anyone had a similar experience?
  • Options
    rineerinee Member Posts: 1
    I brought my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee in for the first check-up yesterday. They checked out the recall thing, did the oil change. I asked the service manager to take a drive with me to listen for a noise I keep hearing in the dash, when I apply the brakes...(I had to brake hard one day because someone cut in front of me) Anyway, he heard the noise too. It sounds like something is sliding. I first thought it had something to do with the CD, but I took the CD out and the noise is still there. The service dept. determined that it is a brake fluid booster, that is giving more brake fluid when I brake hard. (?) Today, there is no air coming out of the vents in the dash when I turned the air conditioner on. By the way, they told me that this is normal, and that every car has it. I explained that I have never heard this noise in my other cars...ever! Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Is it me?
  • Options
    95jgcownerinpa95jgcownerinpa Member Posts: 2
    We have a 1995 jgc and for about a year now when you turn on the heat we are getting a very foul odor almost like a sour smell comes out of the heater vents. I cannot find the evaporator drain to see if it is plugged has anyone else had a similar problem.....Thanks
  • Options
    billhundleybillhundley Member Posts: 7
    Paul,
    I think that code is for an evaporative leak. I had the same problem and was told to replace the fuel cap with a new one. I thought that was ridiculous so I have found that if you put the cap back on and turn it several times and stop between clicks the light will stay off. You have to disconnect the battery to make the light go out. I hate this car so much that I won't replace fuel cap until trade in time.
  • Options
    The following is a list of problems with my '02 JGC since I purchased brand new. Instrument panel lights recall - Lights go out for no reason - had to recalibrate, fuel tank retainer recall, warped rotors @ 12k miles rotors replaced, evaporative leak-new gas cap,replaced heating element driver's seat, key fobs not working-replaced switch module, AC won't blow through vents-replaced door actuator motor and blender door, 2nd AC fix for same problem-replaced control module, steering column clicking noise-add shim to steering column per TSB, AC fix #3 same problem - drain&refill refrigerant, new tires 40k miles, new brake pads 45kmiles, AC PROBLEM #4 -SAME PROBLEM, NOW DEALER SAYS ENTIRE DASH NEEDS REMOVED, MINIMUM $600-$700 TO REPAIR AND THAT IS IF NO PARTS ARE NEEDED! VEHICLE HAS 51K MILES, AND CHRYSLER WILL NOT ASSIST WITH REPAIRS. I WILL NEVER BUY AMERICAN AGAIN! IF I CAN PREVENT ONE PERSON FROM BUYING A JEEP THEN I FEEL BETTER. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW UPSET I AM. THIS WAS A $36K VEHICLE. SHOULDA BOUGHT A HONDA.
  • Options
    gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    We had a 1995 Jeep GC on a 30 month lease. It was the VEHICLE from HELL! We were VERY happy when the lease ended! The vehicle had drive train problems, brake problems and electrical problems. It was a piece of garbage. The Chrysler Rep was useless. We have owned and / or leased 5 Honda vehicles since this Jeep. No problems with Honda. Great vehicles and great service. Had Jeep / Chrysler treated us in a proferssional manner, they could have had the additional sales. We will NEVER purchase and / or lease another Chrysler product! The Chrysler products have no quality!
  • Options
    Just got a call from service advisor about my 4th AC problem. It seems that the door that controls which mode (re circulate or fresh air)the AC operates in has broken off and is blocking the air from coming through the vents. Repair cost is $1200 if they replace door or $300 if they just leave it out and reinstall dash. I took the $300 option and just won't have a recirc. option. I have already test driven a Honda Pilot.
  • Options
    jgc1994jgc1994 Member Posts: 2
    This is for our 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 1994.

I got a few problems. Maybe all related.
    The oil pressure gauge keeps going up and down, depending on rpms. High rpms, high pressure and vice versa. It only does it when engine is hot though. I checked the oil. I am loosing (burning) some, maybe half a quart per 500 miles. But it has 104k miles. So that is not that strange. I opened the oil spout. At hot engine temp, there is very light smoke from the heat coming out. Is that normal?
    Also, when I get out of the car after parking, there is a slight odor like that of warm, slightly burnt rubber. Could it be related?

Does anybody know what my problems are?

Should I even worry with 104k miles?

Thanks so much in advance.
  • Options
    http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2004055

I own the JGC and 4runner. I worry about the jeep often, no worries about the 4runner. I won't buy any more jeeps after this.
  • Options
    zman2zman2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 JGC and am looking to get rid of it. I am on the 4th set of brakes (warped rotors) and it is currently in the shop for transmission problems (53K miles). I only have 20K miles left on the extended warranty and want to get rid of it while it still has some value. What kind of trade/resale value can I expect? Is the trade estimator close?
  • Options
    mikeyp53mikeyp53 Member Posts: 55
    Water pump bearings can go any time. Have you changed anti freeze every 36 months? If not, its your fault the bearing seals were eroded by acid buildup in dirty AF! Most premature failures like this are maintenance related. "pay now, or pay a lot more later!"
  • Options
    You probably have debris in the intake air vents. Remove the cover and clean it out making sure drain holes are clear. Flush with mild clorox solution. My Dodge did the same thing too.
  • Options
    Try Auto Zone or PEP Boys. Their standard rotors are pretty good out of the box. You may want to try the organic brake pads instaed of the metallic. Don't last as long but cheaper and dissipate heat better.
  • Options
    janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    There was a TSB (easy to find in this string via search) that indicated the problems was faulty calipers that did not release from the rotors. Heat builds up and they warp, that is why replacing the rotors does not solve the problem.
  • Options
    I absolutely had it maintained properly. I don't have my service file in front of me now, but I know I had the coolant serviced well within the limits, I believe I did it at 24 months with around 24000 miles.
  • Options
    crookstercrookster Member Posts: 40
    In my 2004 jeep after 2 months that i had it i had to bring it in for a ac problem that was it was blowing hot air on the passengers side What could that be?
  • Options
    expect 11g's if it is in good condition
  • Options
    mehtmeht Member Posts: 1
    The computer or message board (the display that tells you info. on door ajar or washer liquid low, etc) on my 1994 jeep grand cherokee keeps beeping and saying "service 4w-drive switch"
    The dealer said, he only seen this once and that I should ignore this message because they don't know what causes the car to signal this...Well it's a pain in the >>>> to hear this all the time.
    I have question other dealer's but they all say it could cost me up to $700.00 to find the problem?
    Does anybody know what could cause this?
  • Options
    rrfan21rrfan21 Member Posts: 1
    I do not own a jeep, nor have I ever owned a jeep, but I am considering buying a 2001 4X4 Laredo with 45,000 for $13,000 (hope this is a good deal). Anyway, do you think that I should purchase an extended warranty? If so, what would it cover (brakes, electrical etc....).

Before everyone starts saying bad things, I know that the JGC has had it's share of problems such as brakes, electrical etc.....but what vehicle does not have problems. I mean, I honestly have never seen a JGC broke down on the side of the road and I see many running on the road so how bad can it be?

Your input and recommendations on if this is a good deal would be appreciated.
  • Options
    noobnoob Member Posts: 11
    I own a 04 GC Laredo I6 and I have 2 problems.

1) when I step on and off the accelerator at exactly 50 mph, I hear a ticking noise somewhere near the accelerator. I don't hear the ticking noise from accelerator at lower speed. I step on and I hear "tick" and then step off and hear "tick". Tick~tick
    2) When I turn on the ac and step on accelerator, I hear this very low frequency chainsaw noise for like 2 seconds. It sounds like "Cheeeeee"

If anyone had the same problems, plz tell me how to fix..
    Thx..
  • Options
    naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    I put a post #1828 on the basic Jeep Grand Cherokee forum so if anyone here wants to comment on their experiences, I would appreciate it as I go in for service on Monday and they are probably going to tell me I need them in the next 1-2K miles. I'm also curious in thoughts on what are NOT good overall tires for road and snow. Hey thanks.
  • Options
    cdrhicdrhi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 JGC. I have the OEM fixed antenna and want to swap it out for a power antenna. My only concern is that the existing antenna is not flush mounted on the fender panel, so it has a unique sloped mounting piece. If this piece is not transferable to an aftermarket power antenna, it seems I will have a space/hole between the flush mounting of the aftermarket antenna and the fender. Does this force me to install the Jeep OEM power antenna?
    Any advice assistance is appreciated.
  • Options
    mjday1972mjday1972 Member Posts: 77
    Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been checking this board as often as I like. I put some Yokohama Geolanders on my 99 JGC Laredo and am very pleased. I bought them from Tire Rack and thought I got a good deal.

Good Luck

Mike
  • Options
    iamwhoamiamwhoam Member Posts: 23
    Recently I my rear window washer hasn't worked. The glass is closed, when I push the stalk the wiper moves and I can hear the motor run, but mothing comes out. The washer tank is full??? Just out of warranty, I'd hate to have to payto have this diagnosed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Options
    xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Try inserting a pin into the squirt nozzle to clear it. Sometimes they just clog up. Also, make sure that washer tank is full. It is not the one under the hood!
  • Options
    rsg263rsg263 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mikec,

I can tell you that you should get the sound checked with the transmission. That could very well be the sensor switch I believe mostly the 5 speed transmissions have this. I am familar since I just purchased 1 1/2 weeks ago my 2004 JGC Limited V8(90 miles). I did experience a problem with the transmission within one week of owning.. I received a rough sound and then power just stopped couldn't move jeep. Be advised if this happens put key to off position and in park this actually resets the vehicle to allow you to get to the dealer for service. I am having the switch replaced. I have heard by other owners they too have had the same problem, the dealer that i drove to for service claims it doesn't happen often, but i found 2 people. I would get this checked could very well be your problem . Good luck!!
  • Options
    youn0813youn0813 Member Posts: 28
    To pursue this law, do you have to be the registered owner of the vehicle? I have a 40K JGC Ltd. with less than 10,000 on it, and it has quite a few problems, like popping noise from the steering wheel that cannot be fixed for some reason, whistling drive shaft the technician tells me that needs to be replaced (geezzzz alrady? It's only a year-old), wheels making cracking noise when slowly tuning (one good example is pulling up to park, but daeler tells me it's the plastic chrome wheel cover that's streching/contracting when turning. Doesn't this eventually lead into breaking of the plastic parts? I don't know why designers would design such thing for a 40K vehicle) just to named a few. I'm going to try to get these fixed couple more times. But the thing is, the car is registered to my dad's name because we used his credit to get 0 percent APR. Does that mean he has to file all the paperwork? Gosh, this thing is giving me a head ache. The car is barely used, and so many problems.. I mean, I don't pay $600+ a month so that I can leave my car at the dealer 2 days a week, and take the bus to work. It's just really terrifying thinking about paying that much money for 5 more years just to have it fixed so often with no successful attemps. Ohhhh I'm so ready to go to battle with the big company. I'll get my car bought back and go to small claims court to get some compensation for emotional destress and time and money wasted! In the end, I'll buy a damn Japanese car. I'm done with American made ones.
  • Options
    russlarussla Member Posts: 74
    This may be attributed to improper tightening of all the lug nuts on the wheel that's clicking.

Sometimes with Alloy wheels, if you don't get the nuts to the same torque, you may get clicking from the loose ones. I've personally experienced this with my alloy wheels, but not with any of my steel wheels, so I can't claim it has the same effect.

your wheel, and plastic hubcab, should not be compressing when turning, that seems to me a pure fabrication, and a sign of a lazy/poor dealer.

The dealer should at least loosen and re-tighten all the nuts on the wheel where the noise is present to eliminate this potential cause.
  • Options
    I own a 38k jeep grand cherokee limited and when i start the car the engine shakes, but it sounds like its coming from the back, so i checked the engine and left the car on i saw the engine was shaking. What is that? Also when i put the car in any gear a noise that sounds like squeaking occurs, this also happens when i turn the wheel.
    i also had radio problems(took it back 1 time) and ac problems (took it back 2 times) can i excerise the lemon law? This car only has 7k on it. Please help!!!
  • Options
    My wife and I leased a new V8 JGC in 1995. We had it on a 30 month lease. It was the vehicle from HELL. It lived at the dealership. I would never even consider owning another Jeep vehicle. If you decide to purchase this vehicle, get the extended warranty for the maximum number of years and mileage. Make sure that the warranty is from Jeep and it covers everything. The vehicle is a piece of junk! In addition to purchasing a warranty, make sure you have a membership in AAA for flatbed towing services. Our vehicle had drive train problems, electrical problems and brake problems. There is no quality in a Jeep. They ride nice and they look good, but they lack quality, and in addition the dealers can't trouble shoot any problems. Outside of these facts, the vehicle is "ok"!
  • Options
    Check the "Lemon Law" in your state. Get out of this vehicle as soon as possible. Your description sounds like our 1995 JGC, (a total piece of junk).
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Have you ever looked at your engine while running before? Most engines shake a little and will twist when gas is applied. Is it when the engine is cold/warm? Cold could just be misfiring, warm could be something to do with the engine mount?

Squeeking could be a loose belt. When you put a car in gear the rpms typically drop and there is a strain on the engine, so that could be a loose alternator belt or power steering belt?
  • Options
    lexthorlexthor Member Posts: 1
    Anybody change out the factory shocks for something better in a 2004 Cherokee? Love the truck ride (compared to cross-over SUV's) but would like to smooth out the ride over rougher paved roads and minimize the impact of the potholes inside the cabin without turning the ride into a floating soft springed Cadillac. And at fwy speeds over washboard asphalt created by heavy truck use, not enough is absorbed by the suspension. Any recommendation would help. Email also direct if possible to lexthor@aol.com
  • Options
    youn0813youn0813 Member Posts: 28
    Hi gregoryc1,

Do you mind telling me about yout 95JGC? I actually had a '93 JGC Ltd. 150K+ on it before I traded it for the 2004. It was fine except for the expansive leak fixes that I didn't want to deal with. Let me know thanks!
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I like Bilstein shock absorbers; you can't beat the quality or performance.
  • Options
    corcor Member Posts: 27
    Quick question? I bought a 04 GC Laredo last summer (6/03) and it currently has 22952mi and I'm on my 2nd set of rotors as the previous units were replaced in 7/04 b/c they had been turned 4x before. After calling DaimlerChrysler customer service, I had to pay the 50.00 deductible but was told the new rotors will carry a 12k warranty.

Does anyone know of any recalls or bulletins for the 04 and brake problems? I like the vehicle overall, (though not as much as the 02 Montero Sport XLS it replaces) but I'm concerned with the rotors as it seems the only last about 3-4k before needing some type of service....Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
  • Options
    chlystekchlystek Member Posts: 4
    I used edelbrock shocks. I have the up-country pkg on my 99n jgc. I replaced at about 150,000 and now have 290,000 and they are working great. My truck is starting to get a blow by problem now and am looking for another one.
  • Options
    chlystekchlystek Member Posts: 4
    I don't know of any bulletins but many times the roters will warp if the pads don't ride correctly. Make sure the cross pin is greased properly when they put the assembly back together again.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Hum, I thought they had fixed the problem with the brakes in 2002. The TSB for those was 0500302B - FRONT BRAKE PULSATION DURING LIGHT TO MODERATE BRAKE APPLICATION.

When did you start having problems? If they had turned them 4 times before replacing and the first time was BEFORE the brake warranty expired at 12,000 miles, I would point that out as existing under the original warranty and the turning did not fix... Give me back my $50!!!!

I had the problems with a '99 and '00 Grand Cherokee. On the '00 I fixed it by getting replacments at Autozone for less than $100. Very warp resistant...even after extreme overheating because the un-greased caliper pins hung the pads against the rotors...they warped while very hot, but that went away once they cooled down. I greased the caliper pins a couple of times after that. Still had the aftermarket rotors when I traded it in with about 66,000 miles (45,000 on the aftermarket rotors).
  • Options
    The first time I started having problems was about 2mos after I leased the jeep. At first I thought it was due to a recent rain and brakes being hot etc, but after the 2nd time less than 90 days later I started thinking that maybe this was a problem. My service manager back @ the original dealer in ohio informed that there had been a recall, but it only affected the years up to 2001 and that mine shouldn't be a problem.

When they replaced the rotors in 5/04, I actually didn't pay the 50.00 co-pay as the dealer elected not to charge me. I have an appt. 10/6 again bringing it back in for the rotors warping again, along with a constantly squeaking center console and driver's seat.

I just don't know what to do about the rotors, as I'm growing tired of having them turned every 2-4k!!!!!
  • Options
    I would consider the extended warranty. I purchased the maximum care pkg when I purchased my 2004 JGC and for the addtional 1349.xx that it added to my final purchase price, it was well worth it. It's covering my GC for 6yrs/85k.

The maximum care pkg pretty much covers EVERYTHING on my GC with the exception of the following:

* Maintenance services and items used in such services
    * Glass, plastic lenses
    * Body and paint items, including soft trim
    * Snow plows, winches and trailer hitches
    * Wear items such as manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums and belts

So it's almost like having bumper to bumper for 6yrs
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Yep...go for the factory warranty. I got one from chryslerwarranty dot com. Actually it is Des Moines Chrysler. I purchased the Max Care at about 35,000 miles.. went with the 4 year, 75000 mile, $50 deductible. Been a couple of years, but it was maybe $350 less than the 'list' price shown by DC. One thing that helped as well, since I'm in Tenn. I save 8.75% sales tax on the $1150 or so purchase.

Note that it does exclude wear items such as brake pads and rotors, so this might not help on that type of problem...if your 5 Star dealer sticks up for you, they will be covered by DC, if they let you down as my 5 Star Jeep dealer did, DC will not cover you... one reason my wife is driving an Envoy instead of a Jeep.
  • Options
    jsore13194jsore13194 Member Posts: 4
    My most recent problem on my 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (the others are way too numerous to mention) occurred as I filled my gas tank, gas began leaking out from the bottom of the tank. It continued leaking profusely for about 10 minutes, then finally stopped. Anybody else ever have this problem?
    My Jeep has 40,000 miles on it, and is without question, the most trouble-some, poorly engineered vehicle I've ever owned. I can't wait to get back into a Honda.
  • Options
    janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    It doesn't always come on when the driver door is open. I asked about it when it was in for service about a year ago. It is intermittent and they couldn't figure it out. In the summer it wasn't a problem, but now that the seasons are changing it's a pain.

There must be a switch or sensor somewhere, has anyone else experienced this and know what/where it might be?
  • Options
    mjrkemjrke Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am considering buying a 1996 JGC 4WD (manufacture date 04/96) with around 90K miles from a friend. He has been pretty happy with the Jeep and never had to do anything except the regular maintenance.

I have read a lot of reviews here and get the feel that a lot of people are equally divided between those who love their JGC and those who hate it.

I have always liked the JGC but am just a little skeptical based on its reliability records.

It seems some year models have been absolutely trouble free while some have had lots of problems.

I would really appreciate if anyone could share their experience with this year model. Any tips, suggestions, things to look out for....will be really appreciated. I need to make a decision in the next 2 days.

According to MSN Auto an occasional problem on this vehicle (1996 JGC) is failure of the Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Viscous Coupling and failure of the Air Conditioning (A/C) Evaporator Core.

Thanks for all the help !!!!!!
  • Options
    dcap63dcap63 Member Posts: 7
    Recently, I was having a problem with my tranny. as the truck would downshift it felt like I hit a speed bump. The shifting was violent. As was when I put it into drive from park. FYI it was the outboard speed sensor on the tranny, OBDII code 0720. It was giving the computer wrong information. (The computer controls all the shifting)The part was around 35.00 and was basically one screw to remove/replace. While I was at it, I replaced the inboard sensor too. Just in case. If it happens to you, don't panic, it's an easy inexpensive repair. Also I read an old post regarding the rear washer not working. I had this problem too. First of all, it IS the same tank as for the windshield. If the pin doesn't work to un-clog it,try using an air compressor to blow it out. I did this and it has worked fine ever since. From the tank, figure out which line heads toward the rear, undo the line, use a blower attachment on an air compressor. Just passing along some tips that worked for me.
  • Options
    shishi Member Posts: 6
    Two additional common problems: (1) Transmission slip when shifting (some seal aged prematurely) (2) Engine intake manifold gasket leak resulting engin ping. Good luck
  • Options
    steve279steve279 Member Posts: 7
    I changed out my original shocks at 68k for Bilsteins. The Bilsteins provided much better bounce control and, along with new Yokohama tires, I have far better 'on center' feel.

The original shocks and tires seemed to make the Jeep feel like it was wandering on rougher roads. The Bilstein's were about $80 each and the Yokes were $74 from Tire Rack.