Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• kaf1kaf1 Member Posts: 7
    Tincup,
    Do you have any information on kit available? The dealer only has a brochure showing 3 packages? How can I find out about individual options to order? The rover page for australia shows different kit, but the north america page doesn't.

Did everyone see the comparison in Car and Driver between the Freelander and the Libery?
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Kit brochures are at the printer and will be at the retailers soon. If there is a specific kit item you are looking for, the retailer should be able to call us and get Part Numbers and availability.
  • junaidjunaid Member Posts: 18
    Yes, read the article in C&D, it is pretty interesting. I guess FL deserves the No.1 position. One thing about FL that bothers me is a comment on the muffler which according to C&D is located very low. Also when I visited my dealer the other night one of the FL had its muffler removed. My guess is, it probably got damaged when they tried the FL in their test track before they redid the track.
    Tincup, any comments on that?
    Also, one of the cons of FL as mentioned by C&D in that article is "syrup steering". Any inputs on that?
    It's possible that the test track (with poor technique) did damage the muffler. But the damage could have also have happened during transport to the dealer. The tracks were designed for Range Rover and Discovery, which do have more clearance and different approach and departure angles. Also you do need to change your off-road technique slightly in the Freelander.
    The syrupy steering is one of the trade offs for offroad capability. If it was precise as a BMW 3 series or other sports sedans, it would have to much kickback to do any serious off-roading. C/D is primarily an on road sports car biased magazine, so they have a different outlook than a more off-road biased publication. All SUV's have to make more compromises than other vehicles, because they have to satisfy a much wider array of usage. The fact is we have been getting good write-ups across the complete spectrum of Automotive Media, although no vehicle is perfect.
  • smichsmich Member Posts: 31
    Hey what article , what month, and where in c&d is it?
    Thanks!
    It's in the current issue, you can also find it on their website www.caranddriver.com
  • jeffkieljeffkiel Member Posts: 48
    I know things are different in different markets, but should I expect to pay MSRP for a Freelander? The dealer is saying they are going for sticker.
    I finally got my IPO freelander today! The whole process was over in about 20 minutes.I used the X-plan,had my down payment and financing already taken care of...all that was left was to review and sign the paperwork! The Land Rover buying experience was easy and stress free. Buying my 88 Honda was worse,with diferent salespeople working me over!
    The vehicle looked like it was built very good as far as fit and finish. The IPO floor mats are OK...I'll probably change them later, and NO owners manual.Yet.
    The car feels good,solid,and drives....well, like a new Land Rover! Now bring on the SNOW!
  • freelanderpafreelanderpa Member Posts: 20
    Got my new FL (SE) last Friday. It's great. Rides well - better than I thought it would, smooth with a little bounce as expected. Handles great - it goes where I want it to, confident around corners. I've driven on the highway and I barely notice when 18-wheelers pass by, unlike my previous cars. Fit & finish are excellent. Love the heated seats & sunroof. My 6' 2" boss sat in the back seat and he was comfortable. Everyone likes the color - alveston red - it's sharp with the two-tone gray interior.

Not sure the upgraded radio was worth it. The low-beam headlights shine somewhat short for my tastes. And, I'm still figuring out where to rest my arms. But that's all minor stuff. I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

I didn't get my IPO mats but did get the owners manuals. Smich - they did tell you about the 600 mile break in period? Don't drive harshly or go above 70 mph for the first 600 miles.

This board made waiting for my FL easier - thanks everyone. Special Thanks to TINCUP for all of the info you provided these past months.

Cheers, John
    Thanks for the info!My sales rep told me there was no engine break in period.I also got the SE in Bonati Grey.The armrest thing takes getting used to (it makes you keep both hands on the steering wheel).
    Also,something for other new FL owners to look for...after driving back from the dealer yesterday.I nosed around under the vehicle and discovered all 4 drive shafts are rusted!and not surface rust you can wipe off with a rag.I think these shafts are balanced,and enough rust can possibly throw off that balance,making things wear out quicker. Perhaps Tincup can throw more info on this subject.
    Stan
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congrats on your new FL - but putting the boss in the back seat? Is that wise? ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    So, were all of the IPO vehicles at MSRP? I understand you got XPlan, but did you have any inkling if they would budge off of it?
    OK,I drove my freelander for the first time at night.The car sat outside for 31/2 hrs at about 32 degrees.Thats not very cold for Chicago,but what got my attention was how fast the eng warmed up and started producing heat.It took less than 10 mins.
    I thought the headlights lit up the street pretty good,but those hair-like heat filaments in the windshield will take some getting used to...
  • elfieelfie Member Posts: 47
    It doesn't take as long as you think. I felt the same way the first day or two but after that I didn't notice them anymore.

The really nice thing about it is they thaw the windshield extremely fast! Mine was iced over from the snow at work and in less than a minute the ice was melted and broken enough to use the wipers to take it off.

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and the only issue I have had is the gas gauge not working correctly.

Jackie
  • beantacobeantaco Member Posts: 12
    I see a few comments on what drivers are doing with their arms. I looked in a freelander at a dealer (they where closed) and I do not see any center arm rest that is designed for comfort. I bet short drivers can not even use that tray like center console to even lean against. Can anyone comment? I love this vehicle from the outside...
  • lestacklestack Member Posts: 1
    Please advise if anyone got a great deal in the Philadelphia/NJ area? Is there room to bargain and are they offering incentives like Jeep?
    The Philadelphia-NJ area has quite a few Land Rover dealers. There are no incentives on the Freelander, as they are not needed. Jeep is hoping to sell over 200,000 Libertys annually, Land Rover is only hoping to sell 20,000 to 24,000 Freelanders annually. There is not a lot of bargaining room as the difference between invoice and MSRP isn't that high, and Land Rover Centres have to make their profit from fewer sales than most Domestic or other Japanese imports, so have to hold a higher profit percentage to make up for lack of volume.
  • blueflbluefl Member Posts: 9
    So far..."I like it alot". Icelandic Blue S trim with no options except hitch(parts not in... so not installed yet). Bought at a suburban Philly dealer,using X-Plan. No muss, no fuss. No user's manual available yet. I miss that. I lurked here for awhile so thanks to everybody! Lots of competition for this kind of vehicle...hope I made a good choice. Best wishes for a safe and healthy 2002 to all!!!
    I've been resting my hand on the gear shift - not sure where else to put it except in my lap or (gasp) on the steering wheel. I use the center rest for my cell phone & holding small items.

Does anyone have info on the kits available? Bike racks, cargo netting in particular. Thanks.
  • sballardsballard Member Posts: 13
    bluefl,

I am getting ready to purchase a Freelander S at the Harrisburg Land Rover
    Dealer. Their quote for the X-plan seemed a little high to me. Do you mind
    telling me what you ended up paying under the X plan?

Thanks...Shawn
    It's coming up on 2 weeks that I've bought my FL,but NO owners manual yet! I want to be sure I'm operating things correctly. So, to those FL owners out there who have manuals...does it mention engine break-in period?
    Another owner says keep it under 70mph for 600 miles. Whats THE official word about this!
    Thanks
  • sds23sds23 Member Posts: 1
    As a very happy Monte Carlo FL owner, I do have 1 ?. The manual, which I got at delivery, states that you should not allow the car to warm up by idling, but rather it says you should drive "straight away". I was always taught that pushing cold oil thru the engine is not good. It is becoming significantly colder here in the North East. I always warmed up my Honda's and Chevy's. Just wondering what the official Land Rover position is?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I heard a few years back that, with catalytic converters, it is better to drive ~gently~ to warm up the vehicle. Increases the cat life.

I also heard long ago, in pre-cat days, that too much idling to warm up an engine is bad for the oil.
    4%(of invoice price) OVER invoice. I am getting the feeling from talking to others purchasing other makes and models using x-plan that it might be more hype than anything. Anyway, that's what I paid. Took it out today for a long ride in the PA countryside (no snow here yet). Played wih the sport shifter a bit. The more I drive it the more I love it. Good luck with your purchase.
    As I recall, the manual says not to idle the engine in the interest of fuel economy. Had my FL in a little snow today here in SW Pa. No problems, even tested out the antilock brakes.

Friends have told me about FL commercials. Anyone seen them? Know what stations to watch?
  • qdiscqdisc Member Posts: 29
    BlueFL-what do you mean "more hype than anything" regarding the xplan? Do you think one could get the 4% over invoice price without the Xplan?

Just curious as I think about buying.

Q
    Don't get me wrong...I realize that the FreeLander seems to be going for MSRP and 4%(of invoice cost) over invoice was a bit of a saving which I most appreciated and which seemed unlikely without using x-plan. I was shopping for an Escape at one point and the x-plan price quoted to me was much more than I would have offered just coming in with no x-plan and based on Edmunds supplied info on invoice and TMV. I searched around the web and, from what I could gather,it seems that with the x-plan, some makes and models will go for anywhere from $200 under invoice to 4% above invoice depending on popularity/scarcity of the model etc. As far as the FreeLander goes...if they don't budge from MSRP for some time it represents a savings but if they start to move off MSRP(and this goes for any make/model offering x-plan deal)...double check your numbers. You might be better off bypassing the x-plan. This is just my one and only experience using the x-plan so I might be off the mark in my opinions. Anyway, good luck.
  • cpr3cpr3 Member Posts: 16
    Could someone please tell me a bit more of the details about this "x-plan". I am currently negotiating a sale for a Freelander SE and might be eligible for this plan. The dealer hasn't mentioned this...only a 4.9% financing offer. Any further info would be greatly appreciated!

ALSO, what is the comparative evaluations between the Jeep Liberty and the Freelander....anything further than the C& D review? Edmunds seems to think that the Liberty comes out on top...any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
    Not trying to start a flame war, but I chose the Liberty over the Freelander. While in some ways price wasn't a "factor" (I could afford either car without a problem), it was a part of my decision making process. They are both excellent vehicles, with the plusses of the FL being the overall feel, the 5spd shiftable transmission, all wheel drive, etc. The Liberty is a little bit firmer ride, only has a 4spd, but does have 4wd part time, full time, and low. Also, the Liberty has more cargo room (the protrusions in the cargo area and the folding seats of the FL significantly reduce room) which was very important to me. Finally, and the real decision maker for me, was reliability. I couldn't have a vehicle that needed constant attention as I drive 20k+ a year and rely heavily on my vehicle. So, I got a similarly equipped Liberty Ltd to the FL SE I was looking at plus side air bags and heated seats for $3500 less.

I understand others will weigh their decision differently, but these were the facts for me.

BTW, I do like the styling of the FL better than the Liberty :)
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I have test driven both vehicles, but can't buy either one at the moment. If we could, we would probably choose the Freelander over the Liberty. My husband prefers the steering and overall feel of the FL, but I slightly preferred the Liberty. The FL 5 speed tranny is a definite plus for us. The final factor would be the back seats. The Liberty's seats don't fold flat, and the slope was significant. This could be a real problem traveling with a large dog.

Our criteria is not for an off road vehicle - our '98 Wrangler works very well for that. We need something that can get us out of our driveway without having to shovel it at 4am (maybe a slight edge to the Liberty for this - you have a transfer case, however there are many people up here who have active AWD systems like Subies, and they do fine), is comfortable for 150 miles a day (both seemed very comfortable), has a tranny that will get us up the Grapevine every day without burning out every year (edge to FL), and the power to not get run off the road doing it (either), and won't kill our finances when the price of gas goes through the roof again. Of course, I'm dreaming on the last one - anything that gets as good as the Wrangler is in the ball park, and both of these do.

The other thing I like about the FL is the dealer we talked to. I've had bad experiences with local Jeep dealers, so it was refreshing to talk to the Land Rover dealer on a recent trip to Las Vegas. The salesman was the one who brought up X-plan and would be very happy to honor it.

In the end, it all depends on what you want out of the vehicle. Both appear to be excellent vehicles, with different strengths and weaknesses.
    thanks for the even handed appraisals...they really are of help!

Now .. if someone could just offer some info on the "x-plan"!
    I'm no expert with the x-plan, having never used it, but here's what I know. It is a program for people associated with Ford's suppliers etc. Having read many of the posts on the Escape board (another vehicle we considered), it seems like if you join the EAA for something like $35.00 they will give you a pin number. I've never done it - only read about it on the Escape board. The dealer in Vegas said that he would sell for 4% over invoice (he checked a copy of a letter from Land Rover that had what they were offering for both A (Ford employees) and X (Ford associates and suppliers) plans, and give us the dealer's printout to prove the pricing. He seemed very up front with everything, so different from most car salesmen and dealers!
    EAA changed the rules for allowing people to use XPlan as of 12/1/2001. You have to be a member for 1 year before they will allow you to do it. When this was a possibility, the Freelander did look more attractive. My local LR Center said they would honor XPlan on the FL.
    thanks so much!
    X Plan pricing for the FL is invoice + 4% + destination charge. For the S model that would be $24,781.08 plus TTL.

I didn't look at the Liberty, not a big fan of Jeep myself. I choose the FL over other SUV's because of the handling capabilities, safety, styling and overall feel and comfort.

So far, it has been able to handle everything thrown at it. Snow was no problem, even when the snow plow made a lovely pile behind my car :)

Of course, different people have different needs and wants but the FL provided everything I required, so I am very happy with my decision. Not to mention, the buying experience was so much more refreshing than in the past - no hassles, pressure or feeling defensive.

Jackie
    Yes, the LR dealers are a pleasure to work with. I went down for the full 2 hour testdrive and "get to know me" session without any pressure to buy. Then, brought my wife by to test drive a few days later and they just threw me the keys and said "try to be back in 15 minutes or so", which was very nice. Always helpful and friendly, never any pressure.

The Jeep dealer was a little less than a typical dealer, but still had that "what do we have to do to get you to buy today" type stuff which is annoying :(

I think I would have been very happy with the FL as well as it is a good vehicle, but I couldn't see the value add. The Liberty is impressive all around.
  • bigshotlabigshotla Member Posts: 29
    The odometer reads just under 5000 miles, and our FL is humming along nicely. Not a single hitch on our road trip. (Well, two - couldn't find 5W oil in Montana, and the defrost knob seems to be jamming) We babied it for the first 1000 miles, no cruise control, didn't drive over 60 mph for 600 miles. Had the oil changed at 2800 up in Canada, and the dealership was a class act. The fellow even came to the house on Christmas eve to top up forgotten coolant.

Rain, sleet and snow - all kinds of road conditions, and through it all felt like driving a luxury car. -3F up in Canada, no block heater, and while she was a teeny bit rough waking up, she smoothed out quickly. The heated windshield and mirrors were lifesavers, particularly during a cold snowstorm in a desolate part of Montana. Also used the fog lamps on many low-visibility occasions!

All and all, we're very happy. She's broken in, and eaten up with ease some of the worst road conditions. Plus, I think she's a bit happier now she's kinda dirty....
    Thanks for the trip report! Since we put so many miles on a car, a report on a long trip is important to us. I hope you had a good time in Canada - where did you go?

And I have what is probably a dumb question. I didn't notice fog lights on the FL we looked at, and they are important to me (as you probably noticed, they do very well when its snowing). Are they standard, and I just missed seeing them? Thanks!
    In this months Automobile magazine there is another good write up on the Liberty vs Freelander, be sure to check it out!
    Also,I have seen the fog lights button on the dash and played with it but nothing happens....
    Are the the fog lights seperate lights or built in with the headlights? I don't have my manual yet :( so I'm still trying to learn as I go.In my earlier posts I complained about the fine heating filaments in the windshield, but since I had to use that feature to clear ice/frost from my windshield...I'm spoiled and I take it all back!
  • junaidjunaid Member Posts: 18
    Freelander only has rear fog lights, however you can get the front fog lights when you purchase the "Edge kit".
    Has anybody read the four wheeler magazine? The Freelander ended up in the 6th place while the liberty ended up in the 2nd place in Off-road test.
    Has any of the freelander owners tried the vehicle off-road?
  • joshjjoshj Member Posts: 3
    I have driven the Freelander off road in mostly southwestern terrain. Arizona/Nevada. The marks a few design firsts for the Rover group. Namely a unit-body construction and an independent suspension. Also there is no transfer case or "true" low gear. Being a long-time Rover owner I was a bit skeptical. However, there was no problem whatsoever. First and second gear got us up and over all our hills, the approach angle was excellent as was the departure angle. The 100 inch wheelbase allowed for a good ramp break over despite F.L.'s somewhat low clearance. Hill descent control was a bit of a trip at first but once we gained confidence in it's abilities it really is an amazing technology. The use of traction control and viscous coupling allowed us to get past some pretty steep and rocky inclines. The key is to maintain constant and steady pressure on the throttle. The system will eliminate the wheels from spinning and will eventually get the little Rover going. Just be patient.

Goes anywhere, just like my other Rovers did.
    I've done a crude estimate of my gas mileage here in Chicago.This is city street and highway combined,and so far I'm getting 14.45 mi/gal.
    I say it's a crude estimate because I've been playing with the tranny, using the normal mode for awhile, then using sport mode for awhile and not doing any jackrabbit starts(I am really fighting the urge to see what this baby can do)
    I just topped-off so I'll use only normal mode for this tank and use sport mode for the next tank.
    Really liking this vehicle,
    Stan
  • kaf1kaf1 Member Posts: 7
    Finally got my bonatti grey ipo hse. no manual and no ipo mats! same for everyone else?

Tincup, any idea when the owners manuals will be out, or how I can get one?

Thanks for all the input along these last few months. made the wait tolerable. time to go play...
  • sndvissndvis Member Posts: 3
    Well,this weekend I drove 250 miles to Birmingham,AL to pick up a Red Freelander S model. Told dealer on phone I had X-plan pin# he said no problem. $23,227+4%+625 destination =$24,781.00. Offered me $7000 for my 97 Explorer. Cool I'm ready to buy. Now he says they add these items to "all their cars" and they are NOT negotiable.

Vin Number Etching-$149.50 !! Yikes
    Resistal Paint Protection-$395 double Yikes!
    Floor Mats-$199.00 Wow!!

Then salesman tells me he'll knock 15% off floor mats. But here's the final kicker,$199.50 for documentation fees! They must have some expensive secretaries!! Dealer would NOT budge on fees!! He said I was getting a great deal because of the X-plan and shouldn't mind the "Value-added" extras. He increased my trade in by $250 but would go no further. We walked.

I thought the x-plan was supposed to be simple. Even showed him an e-mail quote from another LR dealer in Colorado (moving in February) for X-plan deal plus $50. Unbelievable! I know LR's have a good reputation but this was highway robbery. I bought an 02 Escape XLT 4WD five minutes after I left LR's showroom with better seats,better stereo,side air bags and saved $2000 !! It may not have the Freelander's snob appeal but I can't justify the extra expense. Sad too because I really liked the vehicle. Oh well win some lose some.
    The Owners Manual is being gone over by the legal dept. to make sure it meets Federal requirements and doesn't have errors that could lead to lawsuits.
    I received my Owner's manual when I purchased the car. I did have to wait for the floor mats, but the dealership overnighted them to me.

SNDVIS-
    On the X plan the dealership is not allowed to charge any sort of documentation fee. I paid the $199.00 for the floor mats, but not for any of that other stuff.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. My LR dealership has been wonderful. Perhaps you should send a letter to their General Manager letting them know that at the very least they are not following the X plan.

Jackie
  • 02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    I have to say that I would have walked too, after laughing in his face. Question, weren't there any other "local" dealers that you could have tried, or was this thief the only one in town?
    Best of luck with your new Escape, enjoy!
    I thought the light in the glove box was broken but learned the exterior lights must be on for the glove box light to come on! Didn't know how to open the rear cargo window from outside of the car (with the key fob). That's why you need the owners manual...duh! Something is bothering me. My HDC amber light comes on intermitently (not flashing). The salesman told me when I picked up the car,"don't worry about it...it does that" The manual says if it's flashing it indicates a problem with the HDC system...should I worry? Anyone else have this situation?
    Sorry about your bad experience SNDVIS. I was treated great eventhough Pittsburgh doesn't have a LR Centre and I bought my FL at a regular retailer. I didn't even have to pay for floor mats. They gave me quality rubber mats for free. I'm still waiting for the IPO mats. Coincidently, I got a call from LR today asking about my buying experience. I gave the dealer high marks.

I've been getting about 17 mpg in suburban driving.

bluefl - I'd have the HDC looked at. My light (green) only comes on when I use it - I did have to try it out.

My FL seems to shifting a little rough going from 2nd to 3rd. All the other shifts are very smooth. Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks.

John
  • sndvissndvis Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the support everyone. Especially 02 Discovery's comment! Thief indeed!

The LR Birmingham dealership was the closest to me which is the only reason I went there. The others were in Atlanta, New Orleans & Jacksonville. I think my salesman sensed my urgency in buying a new vehicle,since I'm moving to Colorado in three weeks, and figured it was a slam dunk deal. I honestly don't think he thought I was going to leave without the vehicle under any circumstance. He kept saying "you drove all this way. It's only a few hundred dollars. Come on let's do business,blah blah blah". I guess he just figured he would make up whatever profit he lost in giving me X-plan pricing by tacking on all that crap.

elfie,you said the dealer is not allowed to charge any doc' fees on X-plan. Is there a site where I can download the X-plan rules? Most of the info I received on the x-plan I culled from this website. I do intend to write the GM and tell him of my experience and having the X-plan program info would be nice. I honestly don't think he' s going to care though...This particular dealership (Tom Williams in Birmingham,AL) also sells BMW,Porsche as well as Land Rover. I'm sure my measley thousand dollar profit won't even pay for my salesman's shoes. Besides there were people all over "MY" Red Freelander when I got to the dealership. And the dealership was hopping with customers. I almost got run right into by a guy bolting out of the lot in Boxster! That would have sucked! In contrast the Ford Dealership where I purchased my Escape (Adamson Ford) was dead. Of course it was 5pm on a cold & rainy Saturday. To be honest I'm happy with my Escape XLT 4WD. I think I would have needed to move up to the SE Freelander to be happy,mainly for the power seat, and I just can't spend that kind of dough right now. And my girlfriend much preferred the Escape to the Freelander. She' s pretty value conscious and thought the FL was pretty spartan compared to everything we got in the Escape. . She also didn't really want to hear the argument about part-time AWD versus full-time AWD either ;-). Let's just hope my resale value holds up!!!

So she's happy,I'm happy and my Ford salesman is happy. And my salesman at Land Rover probably couldn't care less ;-)

Thanks again everyone!