Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.

Nissan Altima

Comments

• nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    well then I think you misread my first post on Luxurious then..

But what i think is the Altima will now more compete against the Camcords and the Maxima will be a more luxurious sports car aimed at folks going for the slightly higher cars like a 3-series or something like that.

I was saying the Max would be geared towards the more upscale market and the Alty aimed at the the Camcords. The Alty will have some luxury amenities, but yeah, its not going to be aimed at any more "traditional" luxury cars.
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    Oops, I did misread your post. You didn't go back and edit it, did you? :-)
  • The 2002 Altima looks really good, but I am still concerned about its crash worthiness. We have to wait and see the results from Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. I don't know "All-steel unibody with a 170 percent increase in torsional rigidity" means better crash worthiness.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    Ford owns Volvo (the car portion, not the truck portion). Volvo is part of Ford's Premium Auto Group, along with Lincoln, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Aston Martin. Therefore, Ford has the right to use the Volvo S80 platform for the Taurus. However, the 2004 Taurus will use Ford engines.

Also, the Grand Prix was redesigned for 1997, so the 2004 model would be a change after 7 years of the current model.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    FWIW, a redesigned Grand Prix is coming out as a 2003 model. It is shifting into the near-lux segment.

Also FYI, there is not black market in Russia now. Hasn't been for quite a few years now.
  • surfing19surfing19 Posts: 46
    IS there any additional sites out there with pictues of the new altima other then the professional ones we are seeing at nissan web site.

Thanks
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Posts: 253
    danny25; No, I'm not saying the Altima will be redesigned again in '04, I'm simply saying that if you buy a new car in '04 the cars listed will have been recently redesigned--between '02 and '04.
    ehaase; Wow, Ford is really sizing up. Also, although I thought the Grand Prix first came out in '97, I believe they called it a '98 and it didn't come out till later in the year ('97). At least that's what my memory tells me. At least that was the case for the sisterships Intrigue and Regal. Or did the Pontiac just come out a year earlier than the Regal and Intrigue?
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    I came up with those comments all on my own. I was outdoors a lot this weekend and I heard a lot cars accelerating from a stop and I don't even have to look to know when it's a GM 3.8/3.1 car. They don't emit pleasant sounds. That's my opinion and I don't need to be attacked for it. I have driven my father's car (a Buick Regal) and know first hand about the 3.8L engine. The general's most appealing car to me (for the class of cars being discussed) is the Intrigue with its 24 value engine. I'm sure this car will survive in some form in one of GM's other divisions.
    redline65...
    haha.. no. seems you can't go back and edit after you leave the forums. at least it never lets me edit unless I'm still in the forum, never a day or few hours after I first posted...

surfing19
    probably not.. well actually there is.. but the site is getting revamped and is currently down. When its back up I'll post the link. There is also video too. Its from the NY auto show
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    Does anybody know at what trim levels the V6 will be available? From what I had read about the 2001 Altima the V6 will only be available at the highest trim level. I hope I'm wrong about this because I don't want to pay for all the bells and whistles to just get the V6. It would be nice if the engine would be available in a middle trim level for about $22k-$23k.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    The Altima will be offered in 4 trims. The V6 will only be offered in SE trim. In current Nissan models you can pick up an SE trim stripped or add in your own options. Let's see what's standard on the Altima SE and what options you can add. Remember, prices have not been released yet, so we really have no clue at this stage.
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Posts: 201
    price the Altima fully loaded higher than a 25k MSRP. Count on getting into a stripper SE for about 21-22k and a decked one for 23-24k. Nobody pays MSRP with a Nissan.
    Grand Prix came out as a '97. Mine was a '98, it was the second year in production.
    I don't know if I'd go that far. Remember that Nissan is probably counting on their four bangers to be the bread winners. If the V6 with options is more than $25K MSRP people will still buy it, but count on Maxima sales suffering. Then again, as you said, with Nissan there is always room to bargain.
  • alexradualexradu Posts: 9
    ... just wondering. Because for the most part North-American drivers drive very "wisely", if not slowly. That's mostly the fault of the legislators, with these stupid speed limits (55-60 mph is plain stupid with today's cars, and in a country this big, with huge distances between cities). On my recent 4000 miles trip in the US, I have been RARELY passed at 70 mph. Sure, everybody enjoys a spirited driving, but why would people pay top dollar for some performances they will rarely use ?

Anyway, I hesitate between this new (upcoming) Altima and the new (upcoming) Subaru WAX. I have yet to see both "in person", though...
    well I don't know where you are but in Florida on the interstates, its 70MPH (except I-4 which is 65) and I do 75-80 (depending what time it is) and I regularly get passed as it is at that speed.

I know I used to drive much faster in my youth (passed a cop in the median with radar once doing 100 and he never came after me).
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Posts: 253
    Ruski, thx for clarification on '97 Grand Prix. BTW, how has the reliability been on your 300M? And what year is it? Do you like it better than the Grand Prix? Also, you said you had the supercharged 3.8, correct?

Nikecar, you are without a doubt my hero for the week. Anyone who as a youth passed a cop with a radar in the median, going 100 miles per hour or better, has got to be a good guy. I think that's pretty funny. Now, if anyone over 30 years of age does it, they are a dolt and taking needless risks.

To no one in particular, I hate to see Oldsmobile go. The general didn't give them enough time for their new models to catch on, in my book. It takes time for a reputation to be rebuilt--more time than 2-3 years which is when Olds really started turning the corner, I think.
    first, everyone, please excuse my off-topic posting (again :).

I had a supercharged 3.8L in my GTP. It was awesome. There were two things I wished were better - dim headlights and slow-moving power windows. Everything else was great. Power delivery was of the "point and shoot" type. It had a very smart and smooth transmission.

300M is 1999. It has been good to me. It developed a bad engine speed sensor a couple of times and went into limp mode (running slowly and not shifting past 2nd gear) Dealer fixed it promptly, under warranty. It is an awesome car and is a blast at high speeds. It is also very maneuverable and corners very well. It is not very strong when accelerating from 0mph, it is good, got better with age, but not earth-shattering. I still love it. It has some nice luxury features that the Grand Prix does not have (memory seats, both front seats are 8-way powered and heated). But the GTP had some nice features too - Head Up Display was one of my favorite.

Now that my wife got her RX300, I don't have a luxury of choosing two cars and have to make a tough decision: another GTP, another 300M, or the new Altima? The Acura TL-S would be nice but probably too expensive (they don't pay as much in FL as they did in NYC)

I can't wait to test-drive the new Altima. I miss my GTP, but when there is a comparable car on the block, and it has MUCH better headlights and probably faster moving power windows...
    I'll tell you what.. I felt like pulling over and changing my shorts with the scare i had.. I kept waiting to see if he'd show up in the rear view mirror, but he didn't..

that was the day I drove from Daytona to Tampa in under 1.5 hrs. heh heh heh
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    Altima won't be out till fall. CO has a few 75 mph zones where the impatient to get home folks in the passing lane cruising at 85-90 mph. Heck, even in NE folks are usually pulling 80 mph on the Mass Pike/I95 at the beginning and end of rush hour.

One can enjoy chomping on the gas and flying around on public roads, but there are plenty of driving schools, car clubs and tracks where you can take you vehicle on a regular basis and drive it to the limit in various ways. Learn some driving skills to boot.

-B
  • alexradualexradu Posts: 9
    I'm sure you're right, Beanboy. However, these limits seem to me waaaaay too low. If this country was as big as Switzerland, for instance, I would understand... And especially in the NE US there are apparently A LOT of cops on the road. I'm not confortable cruising at 75 in a 55 mph area and seeing a police care on my left, hidden in the woods. Especially since I would have to pay expensive American dollars - I'm Canadian. Anyway, in my experience the police is much more permissive (speed-wise) here in Canada (at least in the Montreal area).

Anyway, for you Americans, it seems you have a better deal in Canada, when considering the exchange rate (1/1.5). A Maxima GLE can be had for a MSRP of 35K (I estimate 34k should be easy to obtain). And it's fully equipped. See

http://www.nissan.ca/eng/cars/maxima/price.html

That would mean less than 23.500 USD MSRP.

alot of highways were designed here to handle audobon speeds.. There was a newspaper series here talking about highway construction and one of the people they talked too mentioned it.. just in the interest of fuel economy/safety etc... they are limited..
  • javaswingjavaswing Posts: 24
    Is it gonna be "sportshift"?
    anybody got info on that?

thanks
    According to the published specs the Altima will unfortunately have a regular 4 speed auto. Although we never know for sure until the car is released in September. Nissan likes to keep secrets and they are pretty good at it. I sure wish they opted for a 5 speed manu-matic and 6 speed stick (on the SE).
  • ickesickes Posts: 82
    I thought I read that a 5 spd. auto is in the works for the Altima.

BTW - there was some industry marketing seminar where Honda and Nissan execs started getting into a horsepower fight. Honda claimed to be working on a 260 hp. motor (TL-S) for the all new 2003 Accord to be launched next fall.

Like the discussion concerning the Altima, Maxima and Infinity models, Honda needs to be cautious about overlapping as well. They have very neatly defined the barrier between an Accord and TL right now. Slotting in an R-series Accord would be very interesting, but could draw sales from Acura.
  • javaswingjavaswing Posts: 24
    stick is just not practical for me.. having to
    fight Jersey traffic :(
    But like the fun of sprotshift. hope the new
    altima will have one.. Or I have to shell out
    some extra $$ and get a TL/Passat
  • surfing19surfing19 Posts: 46
    Hey guys, I want to trade in my used 2001 GXE Limited Edition, Auto, for a loaded 2002 SE -v6. What type of trade in do you think i will get with the 2001. I did have one very minor accident on the front. But it was fix, and you can't tell,.. Do you think this will hurt the trade in value considerably??
    no.. as long as you don't tell.. just trade it and be done with it.. they never asked my brother when he traded in his car.. and he was in an accident..
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Posts: 201
    If there was frame damage...they can tell. Running the VIN may reveal that the car was in the shop. Don't know how extensive VIN searches are for dealers.

BTW, don't expect much on a trade in anyway. One can scamper outa nissan with a loaded Altima GXE automatic for about 17k, I'd guess they'll give people 13k for a trade in. Maybe 14k
  • lalov1lalov1 Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2002 Subaru WRX, and now I'm kinda wishing I'd waited. Nissan has something good cooking here. My girlfriend is looking to trade her 95 Millenia S next spring....BTW will we see a 2002 Max?
This discussion has been closed.