Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• roninjoutenroninjouten Member Posts: 201
    But I'm still not keen on comparing them. The only sedan off hand that I know of that can take an S2000 would probably be an M5.

For a family car i'm sure the Altima SE will be a hoot.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    The new M3 would smoke the S2000 too. Maybe the old M3 as well...the Audi S4.

The Altima is still FWD..so it can't be that much fun.
    Current Gen M3 is a coupe. The 99's were available as sedans though.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    occasionally someone comes along and says a waise statement as succinctly as possible, and I commend you for doing so..."the Maxima should not be Nissan's version of an Avalon"...the Avalon is a perfect size vehicle, well designed and quite luxurious for the price...but according to many posters, it does not handle worth a flip (poor suspension and lacks thick front and rear anti-sway bars) and the engine, while adequate, just does not really perform with HP in the low 200s...if Nissan expanded the Maxima to the size of an Avalon, but kept the SE sport handling option, and put in the 260 HP engine, it would be a formidable competitor to thise who want luxury with better than average handling and performance...and this comment from me, who just months ago, was lambasting (future) Nissan quality and design for teaming up with Renault, probably the worst vehicle make in the history of man...but the New Q is beautiful, and the new Maxima may be a contender on my (wish) list...does that make me a hypocrite???

Bob
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    did I just post my comment in the wrong topic?
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Bob,

Right topic....dont get me wrong, I never implied that the Avalon would be a "bad" car to copy. The Avalon is essentially Toyota's version of a big American car. While senior citizens might appreciate the confortable ride and roomy interior the car is boring with a capital "B". I would expect Nissan to spice up the the Maxima even further even if it got bigger. Kinda like a Japanese BMW 7 series.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    Does anyone know when the pricing info will be released?
  • surfing19surfing19 Member Posts: 46
    http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/NissanAltima/Index.htm

I found these pictures on the net, I can tell you right now the Gray and the blue Interior isn't as nice as i expected. I like the Black Interior that is displayed on Nissan Web Site.

• redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Very nice looking. Too bad it seems to be lacking auto climate control. Guess I might have to wait for the 2003 Maxima.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Those are the best photos yet, but too bad there are zero photos online of the interior on the non-SE models.
    Climate control would be nice to have, but the biggest potential problem may be poor gas mileage compared to the competition just as $2 per gallon gas is coming.
    Has anyone seen the Nissan Professional Picture with the Black Interior Shot? If you have, notice that there is a storage bin above the radio, now look at those pictures at familycar.com, the storage bin is missing.. Just interesting how doctor the Professional Nissan Picture is.

Here is a link to the Picture i was talking about
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/01images/02altima_int.jpg
    We won't really know what the gas millage is untill they release the car. I am still up in the air rather I am going to get a 2002 Altima SE-V6, or the Accord EX-V6.
    If you have waited this long to buy an Accord, you might as well wait a little longer and get a 2003. The 2003 Accord will be an all-new design.
    If you buy a 2002 Accord, a few months later you may see photos of the 2003 and wish you had waited.
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    considering that the current Accord V-6 is getting better EPA mileage than the Maxima - I'd have to say that the 3.5L V-6 Altima can't be more fuel efficient than the one in the Maxima. Let's hope that I am wrong.
    Well, yes the honda might get better gas mileage but the engine in the Maxima in my opinion is much smother and faster.
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    Hmmm... well, we have a '93 Max and a '96 Max - yes, the newer engine is smoother than the older one, but I can't feel that it is any smoother than my 3.2 CL V-6 - unless you have a better feel of it than I do..... all subjective, I suppose....
    3.2CL V6 and the 3.0 V6 Honda Accord engine are two totally different engines. We were comparing the Engine in the Max to the Engine in the Accord.
    I really don't know how much smoother the 3.0 Accord V6 engine could be. It's doubtful that the Maxima V6 is any more smooth.
    The only thing that be any smoother on the Accord 3.0 V6 is the shifting of the automatic transmission.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    The Maxima's engine is way smoother than the Accord V6, it is probably the best v6 made in America.
    Good golly that's a fun car to drive. Too bad it's the size of an aircraft carrier.
    The V6 on the Maxima is MILES away from the engine on the Accord V6. Not only does the Maxima have more HP and torque, but it is quieter and delivers power flawlessly. Push the Accord and the engine sounds like its strained. I found the auto tranny in the Accord to be inferior to the one in the Maxima. Floor the accord and the jerk between 1st and 2nd is enough to give you whiplash. In the engine and tranny department the Maxima wins hands down vs. the Accord.
  • hollenhorst2hollenhorst2 Member Posts: 51
    Go to http://www.wardsauto.com and see which V6 3.0 engine is on their list of 10 best for 2001. It ain't the Honda's!
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    <<<It&#146;s won a Ward&#146;s 10 Best Engines award every year since its launch in 1995.>>>
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    I read with amazement about how much smoother the Maxima's engine is over the Accord's. Then I realized where I'm at, a Nissan page.
    Hey, I am more a Honda Lover then a Nissan Lover, but, I have driven both the Max and the Accord V6, and the engine in the Max is so much better, now why can't they just put the engine and transmission from the Max and placed that into the Accord, then we will all be happy :)
    While their automatic trannies stink, their manuals are excellent. IMO the 5 speed tranny on the Maxima is NOT good. Give me the 5 speed from the Acura Integra (delightful slushbox) and put it in a Maxima, and I would be driving a stick instead of a an automatic.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    If the altima is bigger and maybe with the engine options why not do what toyo did, use the altima for the base for a crossover suv like the HL? make the extera offroad, the altima suv allroad, or sport station wagon with awd. i think that will be ahead for 03 as well as for maxima which does have the smoothest v6 probable as smooth or smoother than the mazda 929 (i got one as a rental, had to "fly" back to the airport to drop it off...in 15 minutes, got on the freeway looked down and i was at 125mph--shocked at how smooth that engine was)
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I am not in the market for a new car having bought one back in December and very happy with what I have, but my roommate will soon be looking to replace her '95 Mitsu Galant.

The new Altima is one nice looking car and should be on her list of cars to look at.
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    Is the new Altima going to have a 5 or 6-speed manual? Everything I have read about the car has only mentioned a 5-speed gear box. A 6-speed would be awesome!
  • qin2qin2 Member Posts: 26
    With Nissan consolidating its platforms and drivetrains to return to profitability I found it strange that the 2002 Altima wouldn't share the same 6-speed that will be found in the '02 Maxima and the '02 SE-R. Here's my guess as to why.

The Altima now does 0-60 in a Maxima shattering 6.3 seconds with its 5-speed manual. Because of this huge increase, Nissan is giving its Maxima a 260hp motor and a 6-speed to compensate and to keep it in front of the Altima. If you gave the Altima that same 6-speed its performance would most likley be on par with the Maxima because of its weight advantage, obviously this wouldn't be acceptable for Nissan as it'd lose massive amounts of Maxima sales to the lower priced Altima. So they're giving the Altima the 5-speed to effectivly slow it down. heh.

Again this is all speculation on my part.

The current generation maxima is only going to be around for one more year. Its getting totaly redesigned to be sold the Summer of 2002 as a 2003 model. The redesign will enlarge the car and move it up in price to the level of Toyota's Avalon. When this happens, I can see the Altima now getting the 6-speed as it will no longer be competing so closeley with the Maxima, and also helping to keep it competitive against the upcoming 240hp Accord.

I'm really curious as to what direction Nissan is planning on taking with the next Maxima. Will it be performance oriented? I mean if its Altima is already doing 6.3 second 0-60, how much faster can they really make the Maxima before it treads on the 2003 Z car's turf?

The plot thickens.
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    that way they can concentrate on the new '02 altima, and just reintroduce the the '03 max next year. I'm sure they'll still sell some maxima's, but they'll need alot of incentives to sell a last model year which would cut into profits even more. There's still the I-30 for those who want a little more.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at [email protected]. As always, you can contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • fourdickinsonsfourdickinsons Member Posts: 8
    Anybody heard anything about Nissan's new Sentra-based SUV? Is it supposed to come out in 2002. If so when. Will it the same size as the Mazda tribute? Anybody? anyone? Hello?
    Sorry, but I have not heard of that one. You might want to ask in http://www.freshalloy.com
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    I would wait for a full road test before people start believing 6.3 0-60 times. Nissan has been bad with their estimates in recent memory.

They say the 2002 Q45 does 5.9 0-60. MT in it's lastest issue could only get 6.5 out of 2 different Q45s.
    The 2002 Altima looks dynamite though. Overall I mean. The rear end could be better but overall, the Altima looks better than ever and looks better than the Maxima. I wondering who in their right mind would buy a Maxima after the 2002 Altima comes out. The altima looks better is roomier and is newer. and for less money.
    Way to misrepresent that Motortrend article ripinrocket. They clearly stated that the Q45s they tested were preproduction models. They clearly stated that they just needed better engine managment to "unlock" all 340 horses in the engine.

As a matter of fact almost all manufacturers are conservative in their performance numbers (unless they're owned by Ford) as to compensate for those who live in areas where a cars perform less admirably then in the rest of the world. Areas like high altitude or excessivly warm climates.
    That's what Infiniti told Motor Trend. Read more clearly. Motor Trend said that better engine management many unlock all 340 bhp. Infiniti did not say that the engine management system would be reprogrammed before launch. Get the difference? MT was hypothesizing that 340bhp isn't being realized currently and tweaking the system would unleash it's potential.

Until 5.9 is realized, I'll stick with MT.
    So Infiniti is publishing everywhere that the Q does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, but then tells Motortrend that they're acctualy lying in all their advertising and it only really does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds?
    Based on the Q's weight and it's HP, you would think that it could go 0-60 in 5.9 but you have to go with the independent test results. I don't think R&T or Car and Driver has tested the Q yet so we'll see but it does seem like Nissan has been doing a little fudging on the HP rating.
    Nissan has been doing crazy fudging on something.

Let's see, The Maxima doesn't live up to its 222bhp, THe I30 doesn't, the Pathfinder doesn't live up to it's 250bhp.

ALl the magazines have gotten similar times with the Camry and Accord V6 models, compared to the Maxima automatic, yet the Maxima has a better power to weight ratio.

qin2,

Stop defending Nissan/Infiniti. Don't act like they don't twist stuff around and nudge things for marketing purposes. Lexus claims 0-60 of 5.9 for the SC430 but no magazine has gotten it, Lexus also claimed 7.1 for the IS300 and only one test has yielded that time and the rest have been in the neighborhood of 7.4 or so.
    And many things could be leading to poor acceleration times even if the engine actually produces a stated horsepower figure.

Not properly tuned ECUs, improperly designed transmissions & it's associated computers as well as gearing can affect 0-60 times.
    If the engine is not broken in yet, or if it's been abused by car mags and jackoff testers, its 0-60 times will be higher than one might expect.

Good God, I'm sorry but I don't trust MT or any car mag/journalist times. Most of the reports from the mags get insanely low 0-60 times and all the mags vary. Currently MT has the WRX hitting 60 in 5.6 seconds! R&T says 5.7 and Edmunds say 6.3. Subaru claims 5.9 seconds to 60 mph. Gosh, who do you believe?

My guess is MT will pull a 6 second 0-60 on an Altima SE, RT will get about 6.2 and Edmunds will probably clock in near 7 seconds. Does that mean they're all wrong? No, just that different drivers, different conditions of the track, the weather, the altitude, the engine, the tires will influence the times.

BTW, having driven a Max with a 5 speed and a Camry with a 5, there's a huge difference in torque delivery. The Max feels like a V8 it's got so much cruising power it's frightening how easily the car loafs at 85 mph. As for the accord, it's a joke. But then again you can only get it with an auto.
    Nissan cars that are supposed to have a performance edge do not show it in hard numbers. Don't think this isn't affecting their sales among other factors of course. My bro got the 2000 TL because MT had the 0-60 number in 6.7. I've also driven an 2000 I30 over a long weekend when I was getting my car maintenanced.

The TL seemed way faster than the I30. It wasn't even close. So where is the 227hp? So it has a 4 speed over a 5...whose problem is that? The I30, I thought was really nice in all other aspects and bettered the TL in turn-in feel and braking not to mention a way better stereo (the sunshade was cool too!). I actually enjoyed driving the I30 better than the TL. But not off the line...TL smokes the I30. (I30's engine is just as smooth if not smoother and has less of a rubber band effect..but the acceleration wasn't there.)

Let's hope they don't stick the current Maxima's crappy 5-speed in the very promising 2002 Altima. Nissan should have learned by now that it's not acceptable to have glaring weaknesses but they always seem to let one or two by. It's really too bad because otherwise their cars would be awesome.

If they were smart they would have put the 6-speed manual and a 5-speed automatic that would have on paper given them a competitive advantage over the competition...but of course that means they have to be smart.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Just a couple of points--

Regarding the performance tests of the auto rags (i.e. 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.), Car and Driver, unlike some of the other rags, actually goes to a lot of work to get these accurate. They always put exactly one gallon of gas in the tank, take multiple runs of which they use the average, and use a similar method... I've heard that Motor Trend has no such standards and that their numbers are all over the place, but I don't get that anymore so maybe they've improved.

Regarding the 6-speed, recall that when the redesigned Acura TL first came out in '99, it had a 4 speed tranny, no side air bags, and a rather crappy intake plenum. Fact is (IMO), Acura was putting out a car after the car had just been redesigned in '96, but wasn't selling well, so they had to do it. In 2000, they added the 5 speed auto, fancy intake plenum, side air bags, etc. 0-60 went form 7.9 to 7.4, and highway gas mileage increased from 27 to 29! I think that Nissan will take a similar course with the Altima. Since they only redesigned it less than 5 years ago, they want to get it out and start selling it as quickly as possible, but look for a 6-speed and 5-speed auto in another year or 2. I'm glad they're at least getting it out. The current car is sort of a stain on the horizon, with the sex appeal of a washing machine (sorry, current owners). Other things to look forward to are satellite radio (GM is putting it in some cars this summer) and possibly a fancy communications system.

Just my 2 cents.
    Not to go too crazy with the Altima initially because they realize they still have to sell Maximas. For 2002 Nissan has made a bunch of changes to the Maxima, somebody rightly called it "bandages" to keep the Maxima slightly superior to the Altima. By 2003 the Maxima will use the Altima platform and hopefully regain its flagship status. Until then I think Nissan will hold back on what can be offered in the Altima.
  • bmsorybmsory Member Posts: 17
    The new 2002 altima looks really cool this could
    blow out the sale of Camry and Accord if the price
    tag is about the same the Camry and Accord. If any
    body knows about the price for this luxury sedan please bring it up. Thanks ! BM
    If Nissan wants to compete, they must undercut their competitors. People don't think nissan when they think of getting a mid-size family car. Camry and Accord own the segment. Nissan must undercut them and offer more car for that lower price. If they have equal pricing...it doesn't stand a chance.
  • bmsorybmsory Member Posts: 17
    You maybe right. The Camry will have a new look
    and may have a new horse power also for the 2002 model.
    So I expect the new 2002 altima's price tag a bit lower.
    The Altima is brand image makes me wonder whether they have to price it lower than the Accord / Camry. It's always been a smaller car available only in 4cyl trim.

We'll also have to wait and see what Toyota has in their new Camry. Last time around in 97 they introduced a car worse than the previous model with a plain ext and int., but was priced a little bit lower than before and it became the best selling car in America. go figure.

I have a feeling with the strong competition these days, Toyota will have another big hitter. I guess when your reputation is as good as Toyota, you don't have to show you car early to generate interest.

If the Altima doesn't offer automatic climate control..then I see that as Nissan making an effort keep prices down and expect super competive prices. Although I'm sure the new Camry XLE will have automatic climate control.
This discussion has been closed.