Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Nissan Altima

Comments

• Darn spell check.

Subs = SUVs
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I hope the numbers are really better than what is now published on Nissan's own web pages. Maybe they made a glaring typo and are choosing to ignore it for some reason.
    20 mpg highway would be really bad for a 4 cylinder.
    This is supposed to be a very high volume vehicle, so if the mileage is that bad, it would throw off their CAFE ratings. Or are foreign manufacturers exempt from CAFE standards?
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Posts: 201
    I'm confused by the statement about bypassing the current Maxima because it gets 22/27 MPG. Um that's one highway MPG less than the less powerful and very mundane Accord EX with a V6 at 20/28 MPG and two city higher! The Camry with a V6 is at 20/27. So really the fuel economy is a wash. You have to use premium fuel, but the engine is a far more powerful device and in this age of 87 octane costing 1.80 a gallon, the jump to $2 a gallon for premium seems like nothing. If a fill up is gonna run you $27 for 15 gallons, then $30 doesn't seem like a heckuva lot more.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Posts: 284
    I just heard gas prices may be hitting $3 a gallon this summer here in california! :( The jump to premium might be WAY to much then!
  • darpin1darpin1 Posts: 49
    One report I read said it weights just 70 lbs more than the current Altima. Maybe the gas mileage won't be terribly affected. Check it out at.http//: www.canadiandriver.com
  • Greetings,

Don't get me wrong, I loved the power on the Maxima. I thought that the new Altima might be a good compromise, offering some of the fun of driving a Maxima (at least the engine; I'm not fond of the steering), while being more economical. I live in northern California where premium can cost over $2.25 pg. I also like using fewer resources. I'm looking at automatics only, so the figures are lower for the Maxima V6: 19/26. A big reason why I was waiting for the new Altima was that it would have a V4 as well. The figures for a Honda V4 are 23/30. What are they for the 2002 Altima V4? It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I would hope that a newer car designed to compete in its own fashion with CamCords would have equal or better mpg, even it it has more power. It's all about what is figuring out the best compromise for yourself.
    Regards.
  • ickesickes Posts: 82
    The new Altima looks incredible. Not quite a Passat (especially inside), but much better than the Accord or even '02 Camry. The design looks like a slightly smaller Lexus GS. Very strong and masculine.

Judging by the specs at www.nissannews.com, it's pretty big too. Makes you wonder why this isn't the new Max. I mean, Maxima has much more consumer recognition than does Altima. If they intend to upgrade the Maxima to compete with the Avalon, doesn't that just step on the I-35 market?
    It seems to me that they may be crowding too much product into a narrow range of segments. That was always the problem with the previous Sentra-Altima-Maxima lineup intended to compete against Civic-Accord and Corolla-Camry. Seems like a very GM like move.

Also, I was able to view the intro press conference on the Nissan website in Realplayer format. Its fun just to listen to Carlos Goshen say "Alt-ema". However, it seems to be only the first 15 minutes of the event.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    the Max for 2003 will be getting an upgrade. It will be bigger than it is currently, and you are right about it crowding the market.. We have the Sentra competeing with the smaller guys, then the Altima against CamCords, and what about the Max then? It was always a CamCord fighter, so if its bigger then I guess it gets up to the Avalon, but really that's it, unless they want to step on Infiniti's toes.. maybe a Lexus ES/Avalon fighter?
  • j_colemanj_coleman Posts: 143
    I thought the next Max would be based on the Q45 sedan??
    If they upgrade the next Maxima, it is not going to step on the I-35, because the I-35 would also be upgraded.
  • liljonsonliljonson Posts: 109
    is this car still going to have the loaded style or is it gonna pull a honda where you have to pay extra for the steering wheel? and how much do you think the price will be this car looks like a sport/luxo deal. i'm thinking high 20s to low 30s for a well equiped V-6 and 33K for a fully loaded.
  • jochijochi Posts: 18
    This market crowding by Nissan is only going to happen for a year or two. The 02 Altima marks the start of a new direction at Nissan. Many of you already know that the Maxima will be getting a version of the 3.5L in the 02 Altima, tuned to 260hp. The next Maxima is sort of a mystery. But there are some good markets Nissan can tap with the next Maxima. The most likely is the lower end performance sedan market (300M, Bonneville) is currently not being completely filled by the current Maxima, an increase in size from the new Alteeeema platform would be sufficient for this agenda. Some have been speculating that the Maxima will go rwd or awd but that is an outside chance. The I30 will cease to exist in 2 years (according to an Infiniti sales manager in my area) and all future Infinitis will be rwd or awd. Looking at this picture, in 2 years, the Nissan lineup will be in line.

Sentra - Civic, Corolla, Protege, Focus etc.
    Altima - Camry, Accord, lower end Passat
    Maxima - 300M, Bonneville or perhaps something more???
    Honda does not offer many options. Almost everything is included other than dealer add-ons.
    You just choose the model that has the equipment you want standard (DX/HX/LX/EX/SI).
  • binyanbinyan Posts: 14
    More and more automakers seem to be of the mentality that their cars are perfect and that a customer would never modify a thing. For me, the first thing I've always done is rip out the crap radio in the car and replace it with something better. Now what's crap and what's better is subjective, but I really hate the BOSE system. Not because of sound quality, but the lack of MP3 support. If I buy the 2002 Altima, it will because of the styling AND because I can rip out the BOSe sytem and replace it with a MP3 system and/or dvd navigation. Have a 6 disc in dash cd player is nothing compared to 6 MP3 encoded disks. We're talking 6 hours of music vs. 60. No contest.
    Right after my last post I cam across the following link http://aftermarket.theautochannel.com/articles/2000/11/01/009811.html

Basically it states that Mazda (who would of thought it) is putting a Kenwood MP3 player in some of their cars. My current car and my last 2 cars were Mazda 626's. I was hoping to get something different, but then again Mazda is innovation faster than Nissin in the audio area.

its the Mazda MP3 Protege.. it comes with 17" rims 140HP motor a 100 watt sub and I think a 4 channel 280w amped system.

you can go to www.mazdausa.com to see it.. look either under Protege or New models on the left side of their website.. Comes out in/about May and they have a 5-door hatchback/wagon that has 16" rims too in june/july
    I think there are 4-5 MP3 players for your car now....

Sony I think came out and someone else, plus Kenwood, Aiwa, and Rockford Fosgate who also has a MP3 changer for the trunk.. it accepts up to 6 memory sticks for 180 hours of music I think..
    If you go to ww.crutchfield.com you'll se that there are about 9 MP3 in dash players. My worry is that replacing the BOSE system in the 02 Altima might not be possible. Specificly I wonder about the steering wheel controls and whether Nissan is running other processes though the DSP's in the stereo as a cost cutting/integration move. This would make it quite difficult to replace the system. Other than this and the rumored sucky gas mileage, I see a new Altima under the tree this year.
  • ickesickes Posts: 82
    The Altima is supposed to be priced in the low 20K for the Cyl. and around 25K for the 3.5 SE. Lines it up pretty square with Accord.

I don't remember if nissannews.com had this or I read it earlier in the thread.

They'll have to push the Max price up otherwise, why buy it. Actually, why buy the current model against the new Altima? (except for the steep discounts that will be available)/
  • bill_1bill_1 Posts: 97
    Well for the next two years at least, the Altima is going to be larger, it will be the only car in Nissan's lineup with a fully independent rear suspension, and with 240 HP it ought to have plenty of power for anyone who wants it. Ultimately until Nissan brings out the larger Maxima, the main reason to buy the Maxima will be the 260 HP and the 6 speed manual... and perhaps even with the rear axel, it might still have sportier tuning.

Also it might just be me, but I am still rather fond of the current Maxima's styling.. including the nose and the tale.
  • seguyseguy Posts: 133
    anyone notice how the '02 altima exterior looks similar to the new Q45, especially the front/side views.
  • liljonsonliljonson Posts: 109
    is the altima gonna have some of the luxo features like other cars that will be in its class or is it strictly a 4 door sports car(face it the v-6 is quick.)
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Posts: 253
  • dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    My next car purchase will probably be a 4 door sedan. I presently own a 99 Cougar, but since I recently married and became an instant family man I need a car that can hold at least 5 people. Since performance is a big deal to me I was considering a Acura TL-S, the Lexus IS 300, Maxima, or Subaru WRX.WRX. This Altima however has changed everything for me.I test drove one in 99, and decided against it because it's build quality didn't appeal to me (well put together, just felt a little cheap) and it was slow.This new car's engine is only 20 hp less than the TL-S (the car that is currently no. 1 on my list) and promises to be at 5,000 less!Plus, it looks much better (in my opinion) than the above mentioned cars! I can't wait to see the performance figures for this car!
  • j_colemanj_coleman Posts: 143
    Did you read this sentence from the first article in post 85?

A 20 gallon fuel tank provides a long range between fill ups - 400 miles for the 4-cylinder and 360 miles for the V6 model (EPA highway mileage).

That tells me the V6 is going to get 18 mpg on the highway, and the 4-cylinder will get 20 mpg on the highway. Am I misreading something?
    I saw it too. Made me pause. No way in hades I'm getting an engine that gets 18 MPG on the freeway. With the way I drive I'd only get 10 MPG!!!!
    No one knows the official numbers, but it's safe to say that it isn't 20mpg on the hwy for the V6.

Read my post, #44 for the details.
    Actually Nissan's official news site says the 20 gallon tank in a V6 Altima will get the car 360 miles. That's disturbingly bad.

http://nissannews.com/nissan/pr_events/2001/newyork/altima/index.html

Common sense my friend, common sense.
This discussion has been closed.