Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Nissan Altima

Comments

• s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    The news release on the Nissan web site is not official EPA test numbers.
    There is some question as to whether those mileage figures were a typo or misprint. It might have meant city and not highway mileage.
    In a few months official EPA listings will be available.
    At that time, with gas prices rising this summer, if the numbers are as bad as the Nissan informational web site currently lists, the 2002 Altima will be a sales disaster that will put Nissan's future in jeopardy. There will not be a cash rebate high enough to keep these vehicles selling no matter how nice they look.
    It won't be just because of the gas mileage, but people will begin to question the intelligence of the management and the engineering ability of a company that would produce a new 2002 compact, 4-cylinder sedan that uses more fuel than some V-8 luxury sedans.

We will have to wait and see what the actual EPA numbers are this summer before passing judgement.
  • cncmancncman Posts: 487
    Just think about it, the VQ is one of the most efficient engines out there, the new altima will be bigger than the current maxima but weigh less, the current maxima with the auto gets 20/26 with the auto. The only difference made to get 240hp will be a larger intake/exhaust. Expect the SE-V6 altima to get 19-21mpg around town with an auto and 25-27mpg highway.Remember that even though the HP goes up, the fuel economy could also go up as the engine does not have to work so hard. Based on the fact that the current altima actually is rated almost the same as the current maxima, expect the 4 cylinder to get about the same fuel economy. For about a year, noone will buy the maxima hardly, then the maxima will be built on a stretched altima platform. Nissan isn't spending all of this money and doing everything else right to just throw it all away on poor fuel economy.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    well it will have an HID lighting option, plus the SLE model should be the luxury model, similar to the GLE now...
  • bill_1bill_1 Posts: 97
    Cncman, the V6 in the Altima is not exactly the same as the one in the current maxima. They may have increased the intake and exhaust but the main reason it is getting more HP is that they are bumping displacement up to 3.5 liters... that could account for some of the lower mileage, but like you I am skeptical about 20 MPG horror stories if for no other reason than the fact that that would make it all but impossible for Nissan to make mandated fuel economy numbers. All in all I would be shocked at anything less than 24-25mpg Highway for the new engine in a car.
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Posts: 201
    Obviously Nissan knows the numbers are out there - there press from the NYAS has it. Some Nissan employee must have seen it there. During Nissan's delivery about the Altima they could have made mention the press material had a typo. If the 18 MPG highway is wrong, why haven't they amended the site yet? Or just delete any mention of MPG?

I was excited about the new Altima, but now Im wondering...
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    The only Nissan vehicle out there that currently has this 240HP engine is the Pathfinder. So they probably estimated the Altima's MPG based on that.

Also I doubt they could be held responsible for giving false MPG numbers. After all, they are not embellishing it.
    Nissan is only hurting itself by publishing ANY MPG numbers that could be viewed as negative.
  • surfing19surfing19 Posts: 46
    I am thinking Nissan will stay near there current price for the New altima. Current price for a loaded GLE is at 20k, I would consider nissan to add 2k, for the price of the V6, similar to what honda does, in its EX vs EX-v6. That would make the price for the v6 around 23k

As someone posted the price would be at 25k for a loaded V6 Altima, that would be way to high, and crazy for nissan to increase the price to the altima that high. Remember this is still a Altima, not a Infinity.
    240 HP, leather and probably auto climate control. 25k MSRP would still make it less than a fully loaded Camry or Accord when comparing MSRPs.

The current altima is a small, 4 banger equipped car with no cache among the public. The next generation vehicle will be larger than the current Maxima and offer a 240 HP V6 in top trim, plus three Audi-esque ambiences. Nissan is playing a totally different game with the next gen Altima. It's no longer going to be the budget-minded persons consulation prize. They're going after Honda and toyota's bread and butter - something the 2001-down Altima could never compete with.
    $25K is not less than an Accord EXV6. You get more HP with the Altima than a V6 Accord, but many will still scoff at paying about the same for an Altima as an Accord EXV6.
    The Accords are actually available for about $23,000 after discounting.
    Heck you can buy nissans for under invoice BEFORE incentive kick in. The point is, the MSRP on the top line Accord is 25.5k. Nissan pricing the Altima about 1k-500 less than an Accord will make it quite competitive as normal reductions and the like on the family car lines (it's all about volume for those cars) will put the Altima near about 21-22k loaded. Not too shabby.
    $500 is not even worth mentioning in a $25K range car. I meant that at $25,000, people will consider it about the same price as an Accord. Some people will be excited about 240HP vs 200HP, but others will prefer having the peace of mind and resale value of an Accord.
    $25,000 Vs 25,500.00 is trivial.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    That neither Honda nor Toyota make truly sporty sedans. The Altima SE will probably have a sport suspension and be available in a 5 speed. Honda doesn't offer 5 speeds with their V6 and there is absolutely no sport to a Camry. So, as the Maxima used to do before the new Altima came along, the Altima SE will be the sporty alternative to both the Camry and Accord. The question is where does that leave the Maxima??.
    you always pay for that honda resale up front..
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Posts: 284
    $25k is the price of your average car these days guys... And 240hp is definatly not average! You guys are confused :P
    A Pontiac Grand Prix GTP costs around $25K. 240HP as well (with a hell of a lot more torque). True, it does not have HID headlights.

I think Nissan should try to stay within the $25K range.
    but it is a GM product.. ;)
    Um...can't imagine anyone cross-shopping a cheapo-American disaster versus real cars by Japanese/European companies.

BTW, I know the average price of a new car is near 24k.
    imagine me.

here is my list for November, when my 300M's lease ends:

1. Another Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (loved my last one)
    2. Another Chrysler 300M (currently loving my 300M)
    3. 2002 GMC Envoy
    4. 2002 Olds Bravada
    5. 2002 Acura TL-S
    6. 2002 Nissan Altima V6
    7. 2002 Isuzu Axiom

You are dead wrong about Grand Prix GTP. It is an awesome car, too bad you are so stuck up that you don't allow yourself to learn more about it.

It is not anywhere near being a disaster.
    Never read a good thing about a GM/Mopar/Ford product. Not stuck up, just looking at reliability issues and CR. For the money, styling (or lack thereof) and the longterm headaches 6-7-8 years down the road, I don't see an American car as a good value.

As for that list, the Acura TL wins hands down. Best car of the lot by far. Great engine, super reliability, great re-sale...all around darn good car.

From what I've read Isuzu is to trucks what Hyundai is to cars.
    Yeah a nice car, but if I was looking at such an expensive car I would also consider the Infiniti I35, the Audi A4, a Lexus IS and maybe even a BMW 3 series. Unlike Ruski, GM and Chrysler products (except for the Corvette and the Viper) are not even an issue of consideration.
    Something bugged me initially, but that front end is getting my attention now.
  • surfing19surfing19 Posts: 46
    Why would you rather have a higher price vs a lower price for same thing. I would think nissan would stay at the 22k mark for a loaded 2002 Nissan Altima V6. I guess we will all know this August what the price would be.

By the way.. if i was going to spend 25k, i would spend 27 and get a base model Acura TL, which is as you know loaded, and will acutally hold it value unlike the Altima!
    There are people consistently getting Nissan's at invoice BEFORE incentives are added. So if an altima is priced at 25k it's gonna sell for 22 or so. TL's on the other hand have far less negotiating room as they're hot properties.
    You can bargain with Nissan. My Maxima SE had an MSRP of $26K...I paid $23K. Getting a Nissan below invoice is not unsual because the dealers get a lot of incentives, try that with a Honda product.
  • tkseatksea Posts: 1
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to me, I think the '02 Altima is ugly. Especially those ugly fake looking Cadillac tail lights. What's with Nissan and ugly rear ends? The engine and car specs look great but I couldn't see myself driving around in a car that had such an ugly butt. Anyway, I was in the market place for an '01 Altima and decided to wait to see what the redesign looked like. Now I know. Ordered my '01 Altima yesterday(not that it's butt is any better).
    The 2001 Altima's styling is much worse, so that is no reason to avoid a 2002.
    The current Altima's styling reminds me of some ugly early-80's slantback Buick Century and Olds Cutlass sedans.
    My advice is to see the new Altima in person before you make the final judgment. A lot of folks thought the car was "ugly" till they saw it in person and claim it was the best looking car in the auto show. Some cars look good in pictures some don't....
    Audi A4, Lexus IS300, Infiniti I30 - as we say in Russia they did not eat enough porridge when they were young. In other words, they lack a bit in the power department. A4 is a joke (HP to $ ratio).

I like my big engined American sedans with lots of power under their hoods.

Finally, Acura TL-S and Nissan Altima got some decent power too.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Posts: 253
    Ruski,

Nice problem you have--you've got to buy a new car shortly! Seems you have some nice choices. A few comments: In my opinion you needn't worry about resale value on the '02 Altima. This new car will be much better than the last, and its resale value must go up correspondingly. Plus it's a bit cheaper to begin with. BTW, I have 2 friends that own Nissan's, and they are very happy w/reliability (one is over 10 years old). As for the Honda's, including the Acura's, if you can get over the very boring looks they are good cars, if a bit noisy. The TL has an extra year of warranty than the 300M, but the 300M has way better styling, better brakes, and much roomier interior and trunk(I've driven them both a good bit). I read somewhere where the average age of a TL owner was in the 50s, and Honda was trying to figure out why so high-duh-open your eyes and look at the car! One last comment--3 of my neighbors are repeat buyers of GM cars and seem to be quite happy with them. I spoke with the one woman the other day and she says reliability is quite good. From what they tell me, reliability has supposedly improved dramatically from the 80's, which is when many of us last owned one. You might check what JD Powers and Associates says. In any event, good luck! My vote goes for the Altima, though, with V-6 and auto!
This discussion has been closed.