Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The regular dropped economy and power in the Jetta, so that's why I always use 89.
  • irontigerirontiger Member Posts: 20
    I was a little curious about that. I'm thinking about buying this car (used) later this year or maybe next year. The styling of this car and the V6 got my attention. However I'm going to have to take a look at the interior to see if it's something I can live with. What's your opinion about the interior. Would you say that it's better or worst than ford or GM?

One more thing. How much do you guys pay for insurance for the 3.5 SE? Assuming that you have a clean driving record, and that you're in your 30's?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The Altima's interior is decent. I like the design, and everything is well-placed and easy to find, but the materials are not up to par with Camry and Accord. I would say the materials are actually slightly worse than those of the Mercury Sable I recently had as a rental. Fit and finish is better though (smaller panel gaps, pieces fit together better, everything is solidly in place). I should note however that I have an early '02 model and the materials have supposedly been improved in the '03s.

As for insurance, I am a 24 year old single male in MA with no accidents/tickets, and I pay $950 a year for full coverage.

Hope this helps!
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    If you're willing to buy used, you should consider a used G35 or Maxima as well...

Get the best of BOTH worlds -- engine and a better interior, though the G35 and Max are a tiny bit smaller than the Altima, but you may not need all that space.

Might also want to check out the Acura TSX when it comes out this year for a possible used purchase in 2004.
  • robtnrobtn Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I just picked up my 2.5 SL silver Altima with charcoal leather interior. The 2.5 sl comes with wood around the gear shift. I much prefer the titanium that comes with the 3.5. Does anyone know if I can change the wood out and buy the titanium? If so, where can I buy the titanium? THANKS.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    There are a number of companies that offer both wood and titanium trim for car interiors.

One of them is exoticwooddash.com. Magazines like Motor Trend, etc. usually have ads for these types of companies in the back of their magazines.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Does anyone know the differences between the base CD system, the "mid-line" CD player( in the first 2 convenience packages, I think), and the BOSE system. How many speakers does each have, the wattage of each system, and has anyone had experiences with 2 or all of them. My friend is interested in a 2.5S and wants the BOSE, but no dealers within a 50 mile radius seem to have any equipped with the Premium conv. Pkg.(BOSE). Just wondering, aside from the CD changer, if the lower CD players have good sound, bass quality. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    If you want the "titanium" instead of the "wood" look around the gear shift, why not just call Nissan direct and get that piece in titanium from them?

Also, if you go to http://www.altimas.net click on FORUMS and do a SEARCH for the word TITANIUM, you'll find a bunch of listings and probably even websites where you can find the part cheap.

(:-D
  • nismoguynismoguy Member Posts: 7
    Here you go everything you need to know about altima stereos.

2.5S - 100watt am/fm/cd w/6 speakers and clock
    standard in 3.5SE also

2.5S - Convience Adds Wheel mounted control SVC & RDS System.

2.5SL - 150watt Bose am/fm/6-cd changer 8 speaker w/SVC RDS and clock
    upgrade in 2.5S premieum convience & 3.5SE leather, SE premieum leather or SE sport plus package.

I Hope this helps in your quest for stereo info.
    Thanks for the information. I am surprised the wattage for the BOSE is so "low" compared to the standard stereo. My friends 99 Max Bose system sounds like it has more than 150 watts. Even the SE-R and Limited Edition Sentras have 180 watt, 6 or 8 speakers stereos( standard in SE-R and option on Sentra LE). Except for the CD changer, maybe the BOSE isn't worth the extra $1000? Not to sound dumb, given the amount of research I do on Nissans, but what does SVC stand for?
  • nismoguynismoguy Member Posts: 7
    Speed-Sensitive Volume Control.
    Thanks again. Does your Nissan have that feature? If so, how does it work/is it effective?
    The stereo in the SE-R has 180 watts and 7 speakers, not 6 or 8 like I previously posted. They should make this stereo the standard one in the Altima.
    Regardless of wattage, the Bose system in the Altima sounds great for a stock system and plays very loud. It definitely sounds better than the Bose system in my parents' '95 Maxima, and Edmunds rated it the #2 stereo in a car under $30k:
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/55745/article.html
    The Altima I test drove had this, and my VW had it. What this feature does is increase the volume of the stereo a small amount as speed, and therefore outside noise, increases. Pretty cool feature to have, but some say they don't even notice the radio doing it.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    Greatings,

I was wondering, is it worth it to get a wind deflector for sunroofs, whats its purpose. I don't know if I want one on my car or not... please help thanx
  • robtnrobtn Member Posts: 7
    As I said in a previous post, I have a 03 SL Altima with charcoal interior. So, while I have the titanium around the radio and on the dash, I have the fake wood on the door handles and around the gate shifter. I don't mind the wood on the doors, but I really hate the wood around the shifter and wanted to replace it with the titanium piece that comes on other models. I went to my Nissan dealer who looked up the titanium piece and it only cost $10.00 for the piece! Removal of the wood and installing the new piece took all of about 15 seconds as the piece is held in by some simple snaps.

That small cheap change made a real big difference. Anybody not happy with the wood, should definitely make this change!
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    The deflector is there to keep wind noise down when the sunroof is open. I actually like the deflector. I will be adding one to which ever car I decide to get. My current Accord has one.
    I'll throw in my vote against the wind deflector. I don't like the way it looks, and the Altima is actually reasonably quiet (enough to have a normal conversation) with the sunroof open on the highway. But really my main objection to it is that I don't like the look.
    I don't like the look either... but I was just worried about the sound turbulance of it being open when I'm going down the high way... I didn't know if the deflector stopped that or not....
  • iamaddmaniamaddman Member Posts: 12
    I will 3rd the motion of not liking the deflector. Just picked up my Silver 3.5SE a little over a week ago, and I had them remove the ugly thing. I have driven with the sunroof open a few times, and there is no more noise then any other sunroof I have had.
  • getgoinggetgoing Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Has anyone had to change the tires on their 2.5 yet? The stock Bridgestones are already wearing thin on my Altima and I cannot find a replacement tire in that size except for the same junk Bridgestone model.

Thanks
  • kelly523kelly523 Member Posts: 18
    I have the Continentals and they stink too. I've started checking on replacements and no one else seems to make a 205/65/16. So I'm looking at 215/60/16 tires - in my area (Florida) that's the Pirelli P3000 and Yokohama Avid through Discount Tire. The OEM wheels are only 6.5 inches wide, and DT says the 225/60/16 (closest match to original size for speedo accuracy) won't work. I'm leaning toward the Pirellis. The only Michelins are either the Pilot Sport (expensive) or Destiny/Harmony (S rated instead of T rated). I'm sure there are Goodyears available, but I'm not considering those. Good luck with your tire search.
  • bigbluffbigbluff Member Posts: 2
    I like my wind def. on my '02 but.... When I got it (Factory installed) I noticed that it had several small cracks along the bottom edge. I pointed this out to the dealer and of course they offered to replace it. I was then told by the Sales Mgr. (a good friend)that the deflector goes "down to the Metal" and that If I could live with the small cracks, to do so. She also said that "all" the cars with factory installed deflectors were having the same problem! The car is one year old and although the cracks are still there (not really visible) they are getting bigger. I'm holding off on replacement but you bet I'll do it before the warranty is up.
    Check out:

http://www.tirerack.com/

Good info there.
  • acmeroadrunnracmeroadrunnr Member Posts: 81
    An earlier posted responded to the SVC rather vaguely.
    The Bose system SVC (stereo volume goes up automatically at higher speeds) is adjustable for Low-Med-High. If it is set to High the volume goes up quite noticebly -mine is set to Medium
  • acmeroadrunnracmeroadrunnr Member Posts: 81
    My '02 SE (purchased in 07/02) and it now has 18.5k miles, averages 27 mpg and I have not had one problem with it -even after a long and indifferent NE winter. Still looks great, no rattles, no oil consumption and performs as good as new.
    Make them take it back if you still can. Nissan stopped putting the deflector on the Altimas and Maximas for a while last year (My 2002) because of the cracking that occured. Now just about every new Altima with a sunroof has one.
  • scottnovotneyscottnovotney Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 02 nissan altima 3.5. It is a great car but I wanted leather and it does not have leather. Can you tell me if anyone has put leather in an altima and where you bought the leather interior from? Price also? Just wanting some options?
    There are a couple of places I have heard of that offer aftermarket leather for the Altima:
    www.classicsofttrim.com
    www.leatherseats.com

I haven't personally used either of these services, but I believe a few people around here have used Classic Soft Trim and were happy with their work.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    From http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov
    (hosts: I hope you don't mind a cut and paste job from the National Highway Traffic Safety Association website, if you do, let me know)

Make: NISSAN
    Model: ALTIMA
    Year: 2002
    Recall Number: 03V084000
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 2.5 LITER ENGINE, THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN MAY CATCH DEBRIS FROM THE ROAD THAT COULD BE IGNITED BY CONTACT WITH THE MAIN CATALYST.
    Consequence:
    THIS CONDITION COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE PROTRUDING PORTION OF THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN. IN ADDITION TO THE CORRECTIVE ACTION, IN ORDER TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE IN THE EVENT OF POOR OR IMPROPER MAINTENANCE THAT COULD RESULT IN OIL SPILLAGE, HEAT SHIELD(S) WILL BE INSTALLED ON THE PRE-CATALYST AND EXHAUST TUBE. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.
    Notes:
    ALSO ON 2002 ALTIMA AND SENTRA VEHICLES, CERTAIN ENGINE OPERATING CONDITIONS MAY CAUSE THE PRE-CATALYST TO OVERHEAT AND DAMAGE THE CATALYST SUBSTRATE. IF SUBSTRATE PARTICLES ENTER THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, THEY COULD SCORE THE CYLINDER WALLS, RESULTING IN INCREASED OIL CONSUMPTION. IF THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL IS NOT CHECKED ON A PERIODIC BASIS AND DROPS BELOW THE LOW LEVEL, AND THE DRIVER CONTINUES TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE IGNORING NOTICEABLE ENGINE NOISE, ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD RESULT IN A FIRE. NISSAN IS STILL DEVELOPING A REMEDY FOR THE PRE-CATALYST PROBLEM. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONÂ’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • tdk1240tdk1240 Member Posts: 2
    My father has a 2002 Altima 2.5. After a recent rain noticed condensation in the passenger side headlight. Turning the headlight on solved problem. He spoke to Service advisor and was told this is a normal occurance. (???) Anyone else have this problem?
  • st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    My Maxima 1999 doesn't require Premium unleaded fuel. I always bought 87, and were happy to not pay extra$. Altima owners, what altima manual is saying about fuel? Is Premium required, or recommended? I am asking because we will buy minivan for our family soon as second car. We will choose between new Sienna 2004, Odyssey, and coming Quest 2004. Odyssey doesn't require premium, so I would like to know about Altima, which is used as base platform for Quest. Sienna specs here at edmunds have premium in Engine section, same as Altima. But what manufacturer is saying about fuel in manual?
    The Altima manual *recommends* premium for the Altima 3.5. You can put regular in it and it will run fine.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    I knew that my 2.5S with conv package had this ubt couldn't figure out how to adjust it or turn it on or off. I've always hated this feature in any car that I've driven that has it. I find that it's too sensitive and blasts the stereo but I'd like to see if Nissan has done a better job with it. One poster above said that there is a h/m/l setting. I'm wondering if mine is turned on at all.

I didn't find this in the owners manual. How do I adjust this?
    Hot, or warm air is absorbing more water. If your car got into cold area, water from hot air inside headlight condenses on cold glass. Probably water from rain got inside headlight somehow, evaporated because of headlight heat, then, after your dad switched lights off, air inside the light condensed on fast cooling glass. I'm sure headlight should not allow rain water inside so easy.
    Thanks a lot. It's good to know. for everyone who have questions about premium fuel vs regular I can recommend following articles: http://www.factorypro.com/tech/fuel_octane_vs_power.html http://www.factorypro.com/tech/octane_measurement.html and http://www1.excite.com/home/info/learn2/learnlets_qa_overview/0,1- 4917,auto_40_0,00.html
    You can adjust the SVC setting to high, medium, low, or off. I think it's set to off by default.

Instructions on how to change the setting are on page 4-24 of the owner's manual.
  • mjlrammjlram Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 2002 2.5S Altima this weekend, however it has a leather interior.

Can anybody confirm if a leather interior was a factory option on the 2002 2.5S?

It seems strange as you can go for the 2.5SL for the cow hide.

I have asked the seller questions and it seems like a 2.5S (steel wheels, etc) and not a 2.5SL.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    As far as I know the 2.5S is not available with factory leather. It may well be the car you are looking at had aftermarket leather installed.

When I leased my 2.5S last November I requested after market leather from the dealer and a beautiful light gray leather was installed. It made a difference of night and day for the interior.

It is generally agreed by most people here that a good aftermarket leather is superior to the factory trim. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the vehicle with this option assuming you are satisfied with the rest of the vehicle.
    Like Cayennered1 stated, it is not standard.

But the aftermarket leather is WAY WAY better than the factory stuff found in the 2.5SL and 3.5SE. I plan on getting a 2.5s with aftermarket leather if the interior gets updated.

While on the topic of updating. I read on Altimas.net that the Altima will be getting the climate control and screen display that the Maxima has for 2004. I don't know how true this is, but I am eager to find out.
  • malibu_jackmalibu_jack Member Posts: 75
    What is the website? I tried www.altima.net and it came up with a french internet provider site.
    www.altimas.net.... thats the site... you forgot the s...

WWW.ALTIMAS.NET...
  • malibu_jackmalibu_jack Member Posts: 75
    Hi there

I have seen the new 2004 Sentra, and was wondering if there are any news on updates to the Altima for 2004? Any possible changes to the look (i.e the taillamps, headlamps or grill)?

I heard a rumour that the 2004 will sport the bucktooth grill that the 2004 Maxima has...
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    Geeez, I hope not. That is the one design cue of the new Maxima that I don't find attactive at all. I think Mitsubishi is using a similiar front end theme in their vehicles. IMO, the Mitsu look is a bit more stylish with a narrower tip on the snaggle tooth.
    Everyone, including Nissan salespeople, are saying the 2004 Altima will have that ugly grille.

No biggie... There are some GREAT aftermarket grilles out there now that look good -- just sucks that idiots at Nissan don't read these boards and can't grasp that WE ALL HATE THAT GRILLE.

When I got my 2002 Altima, I was really disappointed that the dash didn't have the platinum trim like in the pre-production photos. I e-mailed Nissan and told them they should at least add that as an option... They guy emailed me back somewhat "condescendingly" something like, "Oh... Ok... I'll suggest at the next meeting that ONE guy out there wants the pre-production dash..."

The 2003 model is released -- and behold -- it has the platinum dash. Am I saying I was responsible for this? No... But I'll bet the guy brought it up and several others commented that they too heard it from others.

My point: While these boards are great, if you want the company to know how you feel, CONTACT THEM!!!

Here's the link:
    http://www.nissanusa.com/global/contactus/ContactUsApplication/1,- - - 9375,,00.html

(:-D
    yello... my mom baught my altima off of me, yet she wants me to put in the HID lights which I didn't opt for when I baught the car... where can I get them, and whats a good brand, or set, and brightest I can get... thanx
    I recently and abruptly found myself in the market again when some little jerk burned the interior of my 02 Jetta up. Anyway, I test drove an 02 Altima 2.5S at Hertz Car Sales (it was a rental), and I really liked it (the car had the Convenience Pkg., ABS, and automatic). The price was $15,595 and it had 27K miles on it. Do you think the price is worth it? Thanks.
    Hmmm... I've bought cars from "rental" places before, but they usually had less than 15,000 miles on them.

I guess I'd just be a little concerned about buying a rental with almost 30,000 miles on it just because some (not all) people have a tendency to sometimes abuse rentals.

Good price on the car though... You drove it, so you'd have to be the judge if you felt the car was abused or not. Maybe if they went for a flat $15,500 OUT THE DOOR and I "believe" there are ways to get additional coverage on the car beyond the maufacturers 3year/36k mile warranty.
This discussion has been closed.