Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Other than the low oil light coming on were there other "visible" signs like oil under the vehicle?

I have no other signs of an oil leak other than the "Low Oili" light coming on. BTW, i change my oil this weekend.
  • Options
    This weekend I bought a can of White Grease ($3.99 at Home Depot) and lubricated the steering wheel. WHAT A DIFFERENCE?!!!!! I followed the instructions that a member posted several months ago and I could feel the difference in driving inmmediately. The steering wheel no longer rattles during high speed braking or going over bumps. It is a very, very easy process to do. Took me about 10-15 minutes mainly because I had to figure out how to get my big body under the steering wheel so I could maneuver the can to spray inthe right spot.

Before you spend $$$$ having a mechanic do it, try it yourself.
  • Options
    moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    The int lights are controlled by the BCM, driven by signals like door lock and ignition switch etc. There are two timers, 60 seconds and the 20 minutes battery run down protection.

If the 20 minute time delay works then the bcm may probably be doing its thing.

You most likely have a door handle/lock switch problem.

The rear doors activate the int lights for 60sec by opening its door.

The front doors activate the int lights for 60sec by either:
    1. Lifting up on the outside handle
    2. pulling the inside handle without opening(door locked)
    3. opening/unlatching the door lock

Removing the key from the ign will activate the int lights for 60sec

The 60 second delay can be overridden by using the door lock switch to lock the car or by keying on the ignition switch. Will not override if a door switch is activated/stuck closed.

The switches are inside the door at the lock, connected to the handles via steel rods. These switches provide a ground signal at the bcm when activated to turn on the lights.
    There are three contacts in each front door but only one contact in the back doors.

Have you had any door panels off at any time? Have you had any door not closing right or locking/unlocking properly?

Check that all door handles move freely.
    Try moving/jiggling all handles, inside and out.
    Check your progress after each door by overriding the 60 seconds timer as above or just waiting.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    That's great! Would you mind linking here the post with the instructions?

TIA
  • Options
    This is taken from blue_2000 post from April 2004. I followed the instructions below. I sprayed about 1/3 of the can into the shaft.

"There is a rubber sleeve around where the steering shaft meets the floor. If you slide the sleeve down, you can see where the ISS slides together. Stick the tube from the spray can into the shaft and fill it up with grease. That's all I did and it seems to work pretty well."

Adding to this, you can feel where the steering column connects to the steering shaft through the rubber sleeve. So when you slide the rubber sleeve down, you have a sense of where the grease is going. Again the hardest part I had was positioning my body so i could get good coverage with the grease and not spray it all over the place.

Now that I fixed the turn signal light socket and greased the steering column, I feel like I can fix anythingon this car. (or maybe not). Any idea how to clean off the throttle linkage? My accelerator sometimes sticks (not often) when trying to accelerate from a stand still. I thought by cleanign this off it might help. any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    osterkamposterkamp Member Posts: 3
    I have checked all door latches cleaned and relubed. still nothing. i haven't taken any door panels off yet, because I don't know where the problem is and don't want to be taking off the wrong panels. I unhooked the review mirror harness and hooked it back up again worked for a day, then all the lights stayed on again. I even made a make shift ground to the mirrors ground to see if maybe it wasn't grounding right still nothing. I am really puzzled. maybe you have some more good ideas. Thanks Andy
  • Options
    howdy again Andy.
    Activating the buttons on the rv mirror connects one side of the lights direct to ground, When the BCM wants to turn them on, it provides its own ground by bypassing the switch. Since all the lights are on, then it looks like the BCM is providing the ground reference.

Lets back up a minute. I forgot one other important control for the courtesy lights. Uhmm, Is the panel lights scroll dimmer switch turned all the way up to dome lights? Can you dim the dash/radio/hvac displays/lights?

Do you have or can you get a hold of a volt meter?
  • Options
    osterkamposterkamp Member Posts: 3
    The dimmer switch does make the radio and dash lights brighter. I figured that switch was good because it is controling everything else just fine. I can get a volt meter from work.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Thanks a bunch for digging this information.

When I bought my Intrigue, being out of production and not very common, I knew I'd have to do some things myself. So I bought its service manual too.

The only nagging problem is the steering wheel play, which I'm thinking if more grease would help. I suspect it may be an U-joint, but, who knows?
  • Options
    bayview6bayview6 Member Posts: 141
    I think that they are trying to rip you off.
  • Options
    That could be the problem, the oil you are using is too thin. The manual recommends 10W-30W. Switch to that weight at the next oil change.
  • Options
    it says 5W-30 in the engine bay but I'm willing to try anything. I'll make the switch next oil change.

I'm also considerng doing my own oil changes. How easy or hard is it to change the oil on this vehicle?
  • Options
    bradyfbradyf Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Intrigue with 3.5 L engine. Currently at 83K miles. I have always changed the oil and filters at 3000 mile intervals. It has started going through about one quart of oil every oil change (3000 miles) and no signs of leaks. A friend had a similar problem with his Avalanche and changing the PCV valve cured it. I also changed the PCV valve but the condition has not inproved. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I use 5 quarts 10W-30 Castrol GTX and add a quart of the wal-mart brand synthetic oil.

I have never done it but I would imagine that it is as difficult as any of today's ground hugging vehicles. I remember the cars in the Fifties and Sixties had so much ground clearance that one could slide under the car without jacking it up. :P

The reason why GM probably went to 5W-30 was to improve their MPG ratings.
  • Options
    I don't think you have a problem. These "shortstar" engines all use some oil. In fact, I like it when the engine uses oil because it allows me to add some Marvel Mystery oil a couple of hundred miles before the oil change.

Where is the PCV valve located on the 3.5L engine?
  • Options
    The PCV valve is located under the silver plastic cover on the FRT driver-side corner. It is a $4.00 part and easy to change, it just plugs into a gromet and a hose.

What is Marvel-Mystery oil and what does this do for the engine?
  • Options
    ricksharrickshar Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2001 Intrigue in March with 30K miles.In June I had to replace 2 emissions components, an Air Management Valve for $220 and a week later the Air Pump for $240. Today was the worst, with only 33K miles I now need a new transmission to the tune of $2400! All the planetary gears were torn up with no apparent reason.Riding fine one day, catastrophic failure the next. No wonder Oldsmobile is no longer around.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your vehicle. I think your problem are more to do with the previous owner than anything else. Did you have this checked out by a mechanic before you bought it? Was it a private sale or from a dealer? I blame the previous owner because there haven't been widespread reports of complete transmission failure for this vehicle. Some have needed a new solenooid but not a complete failure.

Waht does the Air management valve and air pump do anyway?

The reason Olds is not around anymore is not because of the quality of the vehilce ( or lack of quality) but a bad decision by GM to discard a line of vehicles that had declinig sales. Most experts feel that the last line of Olds cars was in fact the best lineup.

Again sorry about your vehicle.
  • Options
    Marvel Mystery oil can be added to both the gas and engine oil. They claim it will reduce sludge, gum, varnish and other harmful residues. I add it to the oil a few hundred miles before the oil change. Every once in a while I put a few ounces in the gas tank. It is supposed to help the engine last longer. You can find it at Wal-mart or places like auto zone. They have been selling it since 1923. I don't use every much of it (certainly not at the levels the company recommends) but suspect that it can help.
  • Options
    Weren't the Air Management valve and the Air pump covered by the Emissions Warranty?
  • Options
    knight38knight38 Member Posts: 2
    A person on another Intrigue forum had this to say about high Idle. ****

I've had an erratic high idle for some time now - about a year. I would shut off the engine and re-start it and the problem would go away for a while. After doing some troubleshooting, I found that the connector to the throttle position sensor had a high resistance. The computer was re-learning the throttle position every time I re-started. I replaced the sensor and the connector on the cable to the computer - all is well.
  • Options
    ricom560ricom560 Member Posts: 10
    52000 Miles and I want to change coolant and I just discovered there is no radiator cap and I cannot find a radiator drain plug. Is my only solution to drain from a disconnected lower hose which would syphon the coolant from the expansion tank
    and refill thru that tank? Looks to me that tactic would leave a lot of residual old coolant in the radiator. Would certainly appreciate an answer. Thanks.
  • Options
    I have also had this problem with my 2001 intrigue. Shifts VERY HARD and is intermittent. Seems worse at lower speeds but may just be less noticable at higher speeds. It first occured in Nov 2003 at 44K miles and have had in for service six times now. Dealer replaced 4th gear clutch hub, new input carrier retractor, pressure control solenoid (twice), installed updated software, and replaced the valve body so far. I do not know what all these parts are (just reading them off the service orders). The car now has 83K miles and the problem started again yesterday morning. Dont know the solution but you are not alone. Also uses too much oil, see my other posting #574.
  • Options
    Thanks for telling me about the location of the PVC valve. Bought the part a couple of years ago but couldn't find it to change it! The old one was a lot heavier thant the replacement part.
  • Options
    donp9donp9 Member Posts: 29
    I just replaced my coolant and also had problems finding the drain plug. It is on the drivers side of the rad at the bottom. You have to look up at the bottom of the rad to see it. Also you will want to remove the block drain plug located on the passenger side of the engine. Not too difficult to get at - a little easier if you jack up the car so the wheels are off the ground. Good luck.
  • Options
    is it as simple as draining the radiator and filling up throught overflow tank? I should do mine before the winter.
  • Options
    donp9donp9 Member Posts: 29
    On my 2000 GL I opened the rad and block drain plugs. I then removed one end of the upper rad hose and flushed all the old anti freeze out with a garden hose. I also removed one end of the heater hose and back flushed the heater core. Once it had all drained out I reconnected everything and refilled the rad through the overflow tank. The whole job took at most 45 minutes. The block drain plug is on the passenger side of the engine. It is quite easy to access if you jack the car up and remove the plastic guard that prevents dirt/snow etc from entering the engine compartment from the wheel well - its held in by threee or four screws.
  • Options
    ricksharrickshar Member Posts: 2
    Actually I bought the car from Carmax after running it through Carfax and getting a positive report of one owner vehicle with the proper maintenance schedule recorded. It all checked out fine before I bought it.
    Don't really know what the air mgt valve does, brought it in because the "check engine " light came on.
    The electric air pump is below the driver front fender and had filled with moisture because the clip holding the cover broke off which is very flimsy to begin with. Again, don't really know the particulars of what it does.
    Checked and neither was warranted under the emissions section after 24K.
  • Options
    Just had my Intrigue fail emissions test in an official New Jersey state facility for a gas cap. They actually remove the cap and attach a fixture attached to a computer and test for minute leakage. Cap cost me 5.96 and GM part No. is 12553683 if interested.
  • Options
    Sorry, but the GM part No. for this part is wrong. The number given is for the Oil Filter Cap.
  • Options
    coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    The intermittent of again on again passenger door lock failures continued to plague my 2000 GX. Finally found a used BCM for $47.00. The locks failed again and I installed the BCM, and the door locks worked fine but the car would not even make a sound as though trying trying to start.

The BCM had to be programed at a dealer shop. The cost for this service was quoted to be from $92.00 to $125.00. After being programed everything works fine.

The ISS was replaced under warranty at 32000 miles and at present 65000 miles it was starting to make the famous popping sound. Purchased a spray can of lithium white lube at NAPA and sprayed about half the can down into the shaft and the popping sound is no longer evident. :P
  • Options
    maytummaytum Member Posts: 9
    can any one tell me what all is involved with replacing my electronic fuel pump in my '98 olds intrigue? I looked under the car, it looked like I would have to unattach the muffler , tail pipe & rear exhaust pipe, at least, in order to get the gas tank out. are there any other obstacles, that I did not see? :confuse:
  • Options
    Not neccessaryfor the exhaust to go to get to the tank. Anyway, there should be an access panel behind the rear seat infront of the spare tire well.
  • Options
    thanks for the access panel tip
    to back up a few steps...
    do I need to replace my fuel pump if it is making a high pitched whine when the tank is near empty?
  • Options
    writingzombie1writingzombie1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to these boards, and most definitely NOT a mechanic! LOL!! But my daughter had the same problem with her Intrigue about a year ago - I couldn't get the lights to go off in her car either. I slammed every door, jiggled every knob, the whole nine yards. In order to keep the battery from draining, I unhooked the cables overnight. After connecting the battery cables the next morning, everything went back to working. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but it doesn't cost anything to try! :)
  • Options
    writingzombie1writingzombie1 Member Posts: 2
    My daughter has a '98 model Intrigue, and after replacing a dead battery the other day, her a/c went screwy. The passenger side is blowing cold air, but the driver's side is blowing hot air. It wasn't doing this before changing the battery out. Anyone out there have any suggestions? :(
  • Options
    If it has auto climate control, make sure the driver and passenger controls are pointing directly up. Someone may ahve accidently hit the knobs. When they are int he up position, they blow the same temperature.
  • Options
    Moonshadow
    thanks for the access panel tip
    to back up a few steps...
    do I need to replace my fuel pump if it is making a high pitched whine when the tank is near empty? :confuse:
  • Options
    MartypaMartypa Member Posts: 50
    Where do you actually spray???
  • Options
    coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    I just slipped the gray boot down about 2 inches and stuck the straw down inside the shaft at the first universal joint. Then before the solvent in the lubricant evaporated I immediately drove around the block while turning the wheel from lock to lock several times to allow the grease to flow into, (I think), the splines. But it may be a square shaft.
  • Options
    98olds9898olds98 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 intrigue with just over 100k miles. My transmission died just around 50k miles...and just over 3 years.. was fine one day failed the next. I have had transmission fluid changed at 80k miles. Now just over 100k it hesitates at lower speeds under 30 mph and seems to make a whiny straining noise. Over 30 mph it seems to work just fine. Any ideas?

Also just replaced battery and now my air conditioner blows air .. but not cold air. Is this related to battery change?

Otherwise car has been fine.. minimal oil leaks, rear window buttons pop out occasionally, and rubber gasket around side front windows always pops out.
  • Options
    Never let you fuel tank get lower than a quarter full! Those cars will the fuel pump in the gas tank need at least a quarter tank of gasoline to keep the fuel pump cool.
  • Options
    cory00glcory00gl Member Posts: 2
    I have read all the info about this problem and I thought I'd check to see if any of you have found an actual fix for this. I replaced my alternator with the proper P/N and replaced the battery even at the same time and it still does it.. So far, I have been pulled over by the cops and had 3 people pull over and front of me and not knowing I drive past then they get behind me and try to signal me down then I pull over and they are like "what?" I am so sick of this problem and if there is any new info about this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cory
    2000 Intrigue GL
  • Options
    greesyelbowsgreesyelbows Member Posts: 1
    Mine has been doing the same thing. It didn't start until I had the alt. replaced. I took my 99 Intrigue back to the place that installed it and they couldn't find the problem. Some one suggested that I check the ground wire.

If you find out how to fix it, please let me know.

Thanks
  • Options
    tmoebigshop3tmoebigshop3 Member Posts: 2
    Alcan,

About to pickup a friends '98-(a steal), however, she says that it runs fine in the forward Drive position, but takes forever to engage in Reverse and back up.

Any suggestions and/or solutions? Is it a :lemon: that I should leave where it is.
    Thanks for info.
    TMoeBigShop3
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Sounds like the reverse input clutch has seen it's tour of duty. No silver bullets there. Better figure on about $2,500 for a reman transaxle in your negotiations.
  • Options
    brd98brd98 Member Posts: 5
    This is an eulogy to a great vehicle.My green 98 intrigue (first model year) was totaled when an idiot ran a red light and broadsided it. The sturdy doors (and seat belts) are what saved my six year old.

In the 7 years I never had any problem other than replacing the 4 brake rotors. I was hoping to run it for another 30k miles because it was still going strong...

GM: this was one of the few vehicles you got it right!
  • Options
    Scary!
    What type\year of vehicle hit you and where was the initial impact location?
    Right across the doors? closer to the front or rear of the car?

You're a lucky man, side impacts can be dangerous.
    cheers
  • Options
    brd98brd98 Member Posts: 5
    Initial impact was between the door handle (of right rear door) and quarter panel. Brunt of the impact was on the q-panel and wheel area - very little door intrusion
    :sick:

the other vehicle was a 2004 Buick Rainier.

We were very lucky - i say a prayer everyday for our luck!!
  • Options
    vealboyvealboy Member Posts: 10
    WOW!! I am glad to hear that you and your six year old are doing well.

I don't mean to sound too calloused here, but now that your Intrigue is gone (RIP) are you going to look for a newer Intrigue? I saw some on e-Bay at reasonable prices.
This discussion has been closed.