Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    djlsrhdjlsrh Member Posts: 2
    GM has admitted in TSB 030232049 that sharp edges on the steering knuckle can cause premature failure of the tie rod ends. I do not know about you, but 42,000 miles (when I first brought the problem to GM's attention)seems premature to me.

Can the tie rod ends be replaced independent of other parts? The Olds dealership where I bought it (now a Saturn dealership) says they cannot be. They say that the tie rod ends are an integral piece of the steering gear and cannot be changed without changing out the entire rack. I think that sounds like BS. What do you all think?

BTW I’ve read all of the postings in this section and have found them to be entertaining and informative. It seems that most everyone here really knows their stuff.
  • Options
    bayview6bayview6 Member Posts: 141
    The best conclusion I can come up with is that somebody nearby used one of those remote entry devices while the car was parked at the airport and it accidentially poppped open my trunk lid a tad. Heavy rain and wind did the rest.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I understand there is a TSB but it is not a recall. Two very different things. Again, 8 yr old vehicle, out of production. Not unless you have an extended warranty..... At 8 years old you also have to factor in the time as well as mileage.

I would go back to the independent shop that greased the tie rod and ask them. they obviously had an idea of what the problem was and gave you a quick fix. You are not talking about a BMW or Mercedes with proprietary software or limited parts availability. It's a GM vehicle and the parts can be bought at most major automotive parts stores. I bought my Intrigue used but have the service records. I'm 99% sure the previous owners had this TSB done under warranty. And it did not involve replacing the steering rack.
  • Options
    jsudarjsudar Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove an 02 Intrigue GL (FSBO) that is for sale in my area (Pewaukee, WI). While driving it, the climate control air came on and a strong exhaust smell came through the air vents and filled the cabin. It only lasted a minute or two and then the air coming from the vents seemed okay. Any guesses why the air coming into the cabin would be gassy when the vents first turned on?

It was as strong an odor as running your car for a couple minutes in your garage with the garage door closed.

Thanks!
  • Options
    blue_2000blue_2000 Member Posts: 14
    Check the holes where the plastic nuts for the license plate are stuck through the trunk lid. I had some water coming in here, that collected in the trunk lid. There was a trail running down from the hole. Don't know if this would go all the way down to the spare tire well, though.
  • Options
    I had my 2000 GL in at an independent garage for routine work, and the mechanic found a bad tie rod end when inspecting the car. He changed just the tie rod end, not very expensive, and didn't have to realign the car.
  • Options
    jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    Traded in our '01 GL yesterday. Last week the car started to make the familiar whine & rough shifting. At the dealer it showed a trouble code of P1811...again!! No surprise that they said we needed to replace the Pressure Control Solenoid and two other parts to the tune of $800+. The car just came out of warranty 120 miles ago and this will be the 3rd time this has been replaced. I called Olds assistance and asked them for some relief since this was an ongoing problem with an obvious defect. We have been fortunate that this had the 60,000 bumper to bumper warranty as the car has been virtually rebuilt on their dollar. Olds assistance called back & said they would do nothing since it was out of warranty. I truly will miss the car as it was still so sharp, handled great, fantastic gas mileage and loaded better than most cars available today.

Our replacement?? I kept my word when I told the Olds Assistance person I'd never buy another GM Car if they didn't do something. We picked up our 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis today. Only got $5000 trade-in on the $26,000 investment 5 years ago. It's time to enjoy a reliable car.

So long. This group has been so helpful over the years!!

:lemon:
  • Options
    First, you paid too much. I got my new '99 intrigue for less than $17k fully loaded GLS.
    Second, you should have put in LubeGuard Tranny additive. Makes the sticky trannies shift as smooth as silk. Have had only one problem with my Intrigue: crankshaft sensor replaced at 74k miles. Just got back from a 2500 mile road trip thru the Rockies. The tranny truly enjoyed being driven in 3rd or 2nd up those mountains.

Enjoy you Merc!
  • Options
    I don't regret the purchase price....only the rapid depreciation. We could have had a mini GM mechanic living under the hood and it wouldn't have helped this car. It was lemonized from the start. We can only say that under warranty the GM folks nearly rebuilt the car. Struts, 5 alternators, transmission rebuild, 2 pressure control solenoids(24k & 37K)4 new tires, 2 ISS, ignition switch, tie rods, blown head gasket, and assorted minor problems. We have a 3 page printout of work done over the 5 years. This car had only 61,000 miles, was never misused and serviced regularly.

When the head gasket problem came up last year they told us to drive it until the engine blew up because all they could do to correct it was to rebuild the engine. They gave us an additional 2 year or 100,000 mile warranty on the engine.

Wish we'd had an Intrigue that we could have kept, but this car must have been built on a bad day.
  • Options
    Too bad your State didn't have a Lemon Law to help you out. I don't know if I have been lucky or what because we use the car under severe service conditions. The wife drives it one mile to work. Comes home for lunch. Drives back, etc. Most of the miles have been from long road trips to either the East or West coasts. I have been changing the tranny fluid and filter every 40k miles but will move it up every 25k miles. I change the oil and filter every 3k or 3 months and do a cooling system flush every 5 years.
  • Options
    mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    Sorry to hear you had all these problems. I have a 99GLS that has 151,000 miles. After 100K one problem after the next happened. It was a labor of love to fix everything. The car though runs great and there are no more car payments. But I always wonder if those repair costs should have been used for a down payment on a new car.
  • Options
    I think you made the right decision since you are postponing buying a new car. That is, you will be able to have a better choice available given increasing fuel prices and technological improvements. There are some people who buy a new car every 2 or 3 years and they are justing tossing a lot of money away on depreciation and finance charges. I plan on keeping my 99GLS until either the tranny or engine fails and even then I will look at the options. I just had the front brakes done with a brake flush and the car is driving very well (knock on wood!!).
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    You'll like the Grand Marquis. Traded my 98 GX (base) in March. Love the V8 and RWD again. Just took a trip from Tampa to Boca Raton and back this weekend and averaged 28.5 MPG at 70+. Smoother ride than the Intrigue (but I'm thinking of upgrading to Marauder sway bars and springs). Plus, nothing beats the sound of a V8 when you get your foot into it merging onto the Interstate!

Which trim level Grand Marquis did you get? Mine is the GS with the "Conveninece Package" which includes full time traction control and power adjustable pedals, heated mirrors, etc.

My 'Trig - bought for $20,500 in January '99 returned just $2600 - and it had only 51,800 miles. However, the ISS was groaning yet again and the A/C wouldn't stay on - light kept going on and off by itself unless I rapped the panel a few times and then never turned it off! Either the power steering pump or A/C compressor was making noise and would have needed replacing soon. Now it's someone else's worry.

Deke
  • Options
    We got the LS Ultimate Grand Marquis. It is loaded with everything including the 6 CD changer. We got the employee family discount because our son works for Ford. $25,500 including tax & title. It's like riding in a limo after 5 yrs in the Intrigue.

What the Intrigue had was much more spunk, cabin storage cubbies, backseat leg room, better gas mileage, dual air controls and just a sharp sporty look. I've seen other Intrigues on the road and just wish ours hadn't been so bad.

P.S. to bayview: We did win a Lemon Law case on this car but part of it was a huge depreciation for mileage and they wouldn't budge.
  • Options
    How much per mile did they figure. My ball park figure is 25 cents a mile so once I reach that number I consider the rest of the ride as gravy.

Will be renting a Buick Lucerne with a Northstar V-8 this September out in California to drive around the Sierra Nevada mountains. I tend to like front-wheel drive for cars and RWD for pick-up trucks.

As far as your head gasket problem on the Intrigue, could have been a poor casting or lack of maintenance of the cooling system.
  • Options
    miniharrycminiharryc Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,

Our 2001 Intrigue w/70k miles has developed an interesting problem:

- When the key is turned to 'ACC', the cluster does its Power-on test (including the Oldometer LED), and the radio works fine.

- When I turn the key to 'on', or start the car, the odometer is blank and the radio display is blank, too. The fuses are fine, and the radio still seems to work.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    How could lack of maintenance of the cooling system cause a head gasket problem when it is advertised that you don't need to do anythign for 5 years or 150k miles?
  • Options
    All aluminum engine. Don't totally understand the process but somehow aluminum is dissolved from one part of the cooling cavity and deposited elsewhere as scale. The cooling fluid is suppose to be good for the time and mileage you mentioned but I suspect that in some cases the additive wears out before then and the process goes on faster than the engineers calulated. I know that when I back-flush my cooling fluid it had a silver tint to it. The head gasket is the weak link so that is where the process first shows up.

I change the cooling fluid in my reservior tank once a year just to be sure more additive is put into the engine. Some Northstar guys recommend putting some of those brown pellets in also just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    oldsryder_98oldsryder_98 Member Posts: 3
    I'm having trouble with my climate control unit its digital the numbers wont light up anymore so I dont know how hot or cold it is outside or what tempture I'm setting for inside my car.
  • Options
    I'm having trouble with my climate control unit its digital the numbers wont light up anymore so I dont know how hot or cold it is outside or what tempture I'm setting for inside my car.

has anyone had this problem
  • Options
    I have the same problem right now did you get it fix if so how much did it cost
  • Options
    drhohumdrhohum Member Posts: 2
    Have you checked the 25 amp fuse under the hood ? When the air pump goes out, it invariably takes out the fuse with it. You can replace the air pump all day long, but if you don't replace the fuse as well, you really haven't done anything.
  • Options
    singlemom2006singlemom2006 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Intrigue and the AC is working but blowing out of floor, dash and little from the vents, a mechanic said that the dash board needs to come out and expensive is that true? also, my anti lock, trac, and service engine soon light comes on when I started the car. The mechanic several times check it out on the computer and said he can't see the problem Now I hear a (grinding noise) when I back up and turn my steering wheel, the trac light would come on. also notice when I turn the steering wheel and have press on the brakes to turn - the right or left the noise is there. >> There is no noise but when I go over railroad tracks, speed bumps or any bumps in the road the car feels like something is loose with the wheels or something.. I keep telling friends something is wrong but they don't listen maybe you can help me out by giving me advise.. Thanks
  • Options
    I'm going to take a guess and suggest you get the ABS (antilock brakes) check out. The traction control in the Intrigue is controlled through the braking system. That along with "anti lock" light showing tells me you have somethign going on with your brakes. If the service engine soon light is still on, take your vehicle to a auto part store. many have scannign tools and will read the codes for free and print it out for you. Normally when the service engine soon light comes on, a code is stored.

I would try another mechanic as well.
  • Options
    singlemom2006singlemom2006 Member Posts: 2
    First, sorry it's the Service Vehicle soon not service engine. The lights had came on first then it didn't for a while. Then I heard a noise when I have my foot on the break pad and turn to the right. About a week the lights came on again and I still hear the noise (like grinding or it skipping on the brake pads (this also happens when I have to come to an ammediate stop) I can feel it with my foot on the pad. Now it's doing it also when i back up and turn, the lights and noise is there. I had a friend look at the brakes he said they look good.. Think I need another advise.. I new all along it was something with the brakes... Thanks for taking time to answer and all your help..
  • Options
    nbnernbner Member Posts: 15
    I think you have a bad wheel bearing. The ABS sensor is embeded in the hub with the bearing and sometimes when the bearing goes bad the sensor will act up as well.
    You will get ABS, TRAC lights as well
  • Options
    adamdude04adamdude04 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I'm new to this forum but maybe you guys could help me out! I have a 2000 intrigue GL and am having problems with it. I seem to be going through a LOT of coolant and I get a sour smell depending which way the wind is blowing if I have my windows down. At startup the engine idles hard and if I drive it about 400 feet (my parking spot to the mail box) and I get out to get the mail, the cars RPMs will reach down near 500 and it seems like the engine is not getting enough fuel? to the engine and then dies on me. I have no problem starting back up. But while driving down the road it takes about 5 miles to get the car able to even drive. I can press on the gas pedel far enough (if coasting at 40mph) and keep it there, then the RPMs will drop down like the car has enough gas to idle, just not go. and if I press down harder then it kicks me back in my seat and goes! It almost feels like a tranny problem but you can tell clearly its an engine problem due to the RPM range. Any ideas???

Thanks,
    -Adam
  • Options
    If you are losing a a lot of coolant and it is not showing up on the ground, get your vehicle checked out ASAP. The coolant lose and the rough starts could be related.
  • Options
    yammaxim700yammaxim700 Member Posts: 19
    My car is usually garage kept, but every now and then when we go somewhere and it sits in a hard rain I get a puddle on the passenger side of the car. I have tightened the cover by the windshield wipers over the windshield, even applied some silicone caulk to seal it but to no avail. Is there a drain somewhere that might be getting clogged and backing up into the car? Sometimes it's so much water that it sloshes into the backseat floor. :confuse:

Chad
  • Options
    racer__x_9racer__x_9 Member Posts: 18
    Just a cut n paste from another Intrigue forum.

I fixed the water problem, it was simple enough. There is a sponge type casket on the cowling that covers the bottom of the windshield and the cabin air filtration intake. I had flattened out this foam to where it was no longer effective, so I replaced the foam type casket and also put the water diversion molding back on the metal above the cabin air filter. No more water leaks, so I felt lucky to escape any expense on that one.

Search for Water Leak and get more info. Good Luck!
  • Options
    mike6453mike6453 Member Posts: 4
    my 98 intrigue 3.8 188k I changed my fuel filter and then approx 2 weeks later I get a cyl 1 misfire code. I changes the plugs and wire. Still having problem a friend had a spare coil pack so I changed just to test and problem still there? The engine idle rough in AM and with the engine running I remove the wire to the injector and the engine just idle a little worse??? When speaking to GM they are recommending a fuel injector cleaning?? They also suggest the following. Use to 2 bottle of fuel injector cleaner and high octane fuel (94). After approx 20 minute the light went away and the car ran great for approx 2 weeks until my wife put regular fuel. I refilled with 94 octane and still have problem?

Should I bother with the cleaning or just change the injector. I can get the cleaning for approx $100.00 or i can change the one injector for $100.00
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem now for the second time in 4 years. I do not have the cabin air filter in my 2000 GL, so I don't know if the sponge gasket fix will work for everyone. This was posted a long time ago. It could also be your problem.

"charesd, Had the same problem with my '00 GL. There is a drain that's very hard to get to. I went through 2 blower motors before I found it. If you turn your wheels to the right, jack up the passengers side and pull the tire, you may be able to see a small rubber elbow on the firewall. I couldn't see mine till I pulled the rotor off. It's kind of hard to get to so make sure the car is on jack stands before you reach up in there. Just pull the elbow off and you'll find it clogged with road junk. Since I've cleaned mine I haven't had it come back. Wish I knew where it was before I went through the blower motors. Good luck. "
  • Options
    novacain_78novacain_78 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my '99 intrigue. Have you found a resolution to the problem yet. If you have I would greatly appreciate the knowledge of how I may remedy the problem. I am in the process of trouble shooting the gntion switch. I think it may be a bad ground or just faulty wiring, I'm not sure. I thank you for any help that you can provide.

Vic
  • Options
    dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Should I bother with the cleaning or just change the injector. I can get the cleaning for approx $100.00 or i can change the one injector for $100.00

A mech can test injectors to see if they are firing correctly by using a testing elec tool and measuring the amount the fuel rail pressure drops. If they don't do this they are guessing, but replacing it does seem logical.
  • Options
    Anyone with experience replacing the pressure power steering hose/tubes?

Mine is leaking, got rusted where the clip holds it along the engine cradle on the firewall end. Tubes go to front of car, across radiator support, U turns and comes back (this cools the fluid a bit) then I think to the rack.

Is there an easy way to access the rack fittings? Do you have to drop the engine cradle a little bit, or just reach in there and do it? The part is proving hard to get as well, may have to get from a dealer.

My AC compressor clutch is also dragging, luckily in Houston we don't disengage the AC very often (although I like to dry out the coil a bit before parking). It makes a light grinding sort of noise from the clutch dragging on the pulley. Looks like you need a special tool to remove the thing.

My rear brakes are also hanging up when I use the parking brake, will have to tear into those and see if its the cable or the calipers.

Thanks,
    D
  • Options
    b25duncb25dunc Member Posts: 1
    2000 Olds Intrigue with a groaning noise possibly coming from the Power Steering Pump.The noise gets louder when the Transmission is placed in Gear. Is it the Power steering Pump or the Pulley? How do you remove the Pump and pulley.
    I can barely see one bolt.
  • Options
    gamefacegameface Member Posts: 9
    How difficult is it to recharge the refrigerant? Am a novice.
  • Options
    94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    Hey I was wondering if anyone could help solve this problem. My aunt has a 2000 Intrigue GX, with about 74k miles. She has been having some problems with her driver's door lock. When you push down on the lock button, nothing happens. The rest of the doors will lock when the passenger side button is pushed. Also, if the door is open when the car is off and you push on the door lock button, a chime goes off. When trying to lock with the keyless remote, the lights flash but the doors do not lock :confuse: . I seem to think that it is an actuator/solenoid gone bad, but that's purely guess. If anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it, please reply. Thank you all! :);)
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    I can explain the chime when you hit the button with the door open. It lets you know that ALL doors will lock within 5 seconds of closing the last open door - this lets you acticate the locks, then open a rear door. Upon shutting it, the locks cycle closed. If you hit it twice, you will hear the locks activate and ALL doors will lock. IIRC this willl not work if the key is still in the ignition.

Can't help on the keyless issue as my Trig didn't have the factory system, just an aftermarket alarm remote.

Deke
  • Options
    jamesazjamesaz Member Posts: 1
    I'm pretty sure that's my problem, I was hearing a clunk when starting the engine, now it's a horrible whine like the fan or the belts are rubbing.

My question is how many motor mounts does the Intrigue have (3.5L) and where is a good place to purchase them? I'm looking at auto parts stores online and I can only fine a right rear engine mount, there's got to be more then one mount right? Thanks! :confuse:
  • Options
    pedro3pedro3 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 olds Intrigue with the 3.5 engine.
    The PCS and Trac off ( some times the low traction light also) are on.
    I also notice that the steering is hard to turn while parking the vehicle.
    I have the car for almost a year and the only problem I had was the window regulator in the right rear side of car.
    Nice car overall
  • Options
    tres_74tres_74 Member Posts: 16
    Mine has been doing the same thing, pretty much every time I drive it. Not sure why. It's running fine.

I have a 1999 Olds Intrigue GX 3.8 Liter. I just had an alignment done a couple months ago and they replaced the hub assembly for (get this!) $50 labor - - course it's a local shop, so that is probably why. But they said the other hub assemblies/wheel bearings looked fine, this one was just starting to go out so I just had them replace it. Now I'm confused as to what is going on, or if it's just a sensor acting up. Any ideas?

~Tracy
  • Options
    both systems are based on the same thing - wheel speed sensors, which are small things that clip on near the brake rotors and have wires coming out of them. I'd bet you have one that got bent away from the desired position where it can read wheel speed or one is dead. I'd say it might be an easy fix. The same system also does the PCS if you have a GLS, FYI GLS owners.

Dirk
  • Options
    Thanks Dirkwork
    for your answer about the trac off light and abs light on dash. I will check it out soon.
  • Options
    bob130bob130 Member Posts: 1
    85K miles, noise coming from left side of engine (like marbles rolling around). Possibly from valve cover area or pulley area. Difficult to pin down exactly where it originates from. No visible problems. i.e. pulleys/belts wobbling. No shifting problems, no engine power loss, no fluids leaking. RPMS don't seem to make it worse. Ideas/experience with this?
  • Options
    These things can interesting to find, but try this - get a mechanic's stethascope or a length of tubing and hold one end to your ear and put the other on various parts of the engine while its making that noise. Try the alternator, the power steering pump, and the valve cover. See if you can narrow it down. If it is valvetrain related, it could be very expensive to fix. Also check all fluid levels, including trans.
  • Options
    Many of the intrigues I see advertised have the trunk releases laying on the trunk floor, as the way GM attached it was a joke. FYI, I fixed mine with a pop rivet gun and some wire ties.

I got my GLS up north and the chrome wheels are starting to have some pealing issues. Has anyone found any cool wheels they recommend, if I need to go there?

D
  • Options
    Hi friends, I checked the speed sensor each wheel on my intrigue 2000 gl, they were properly connected, all I have found wrong were the front pads which I replaced them the rotors were fine.
    Still the car have the PCS, ANTI LOCK, TRAC OFF, SERVICE VEHICLE SOON, lights on the dash display.

Anyone have any suggestion to diagnostic what could be wrong with this car?

thanks for your help..
  • Options
    nbnernbner Member Posts: 15
    Even though properly connected the sensor could still be bad.
  • Options
    indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    Go to AutoZone or other place where they will scan your trouble codes for free. It could be sensor or possibly a problem with the unique steering that PCS requires.
This discussion has been closed.