Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• Options
    hgutsteinhgutstein Member Posts: 65
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I think so you can ski down the hill with minimal friction, yet have enough traction to turn and stop.

I think it is sort of like a grease that is good for the environment, can be packed down, and does not stain your clothes.
    ;-)
  • Options
    rexaroorexaroo Member Posts: 174
    Hi everybody! Returning to catch up on everybody's posts on this forum always reminds me what a terrific all-around vehicle the Rex is, especially in wagon form, and how lucky we are to drive this fun little beast every day.
    Snow, gravel, rain, dirt, you name it, what other car can hustle you over any road in all weather conditions, yet defend your honor at stoplight duels, and (unlike my old Porsche 911) still get you home in record time with a full load of groceries in the back?
    If anyone knows of anything that even comes close, especially for $23K, say so now, cause after living with mine for 10,000 glorious miles, I’m here to say that the Rex wagon is, "dollar for dollar, the best all-around precision driving tool on the planet”.

No, haven't been taking any hallucinatory drugs, and OK, I will agree the 1st gear synchros could use a little beefing up. But other than that, it's damn near perfect transportation for driving in the real world, IMHO :-)
  • Options
    merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    For a little more money you can buy a car with a slightly different emphasis, luxury. The Audi A4 Avant. With that said, I own the Subaru WRX Sport Wagon.
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Except after the routine maintenance ends, you had better like the coffee and the chairs in your Audi dealers waiting room because you will be there a whole lot more than in a Subaru dealer.

Audi/VW thank you for making such crummy cars 10 years ago that I found Subaru! Subaru where have you been all my life till then?
  • Options
    dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    "A little more money?" According to Edmunds, the 1.8T wagon stickers over $28,000, and Edmunds' TMV is not far from sticker. That's with 170 horsepower. You could buy an RS sedan with 165 hp for under $20k. The Audi sport suspension, most of which (except for the 17" wheels) sounds like the standard WRX suspension, adds another $1,000. You could buy Rex for $22 or so, add a great aftermarket stereo, leather seats and (if you wanted) 17" wheels and have a few grand left over. I know you have a WRX, so I know where your heart is, but let's be honest: there really is no dollar-for-dollar competitor to the WRX available in America.
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Especially when you factor in Subaru's all wheel drive system. I can say this with authority since I am the FORMER owner of an Auto REX Wagon. GREAT car but it just didn't move off the line. I ended up trading it for an '02 allroad which I just chipped to 330 horsepower. WOW!!!!!!!!!! After 4 yrs some unsuspecting person is gonna have a BEAST. By then the Sti will be here and I may be back in a Subie. Oh..anyone see Consumer Reports lately? The Subaru Impreza line has an EXCELLENT reliability record.
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Chipped to 330 horsepower? What chip is that? I hope you have a forged crank and components as well as agood lawyer to help with warranty issues.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    re: Dare I say it.
    Thanks for the reminder that sums up really well, what this car is all about. :-D

corkfish - djasonw is talking about chipping the Audi allroad, not the WRX. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    miata94miata94 Member Posts: 17
    Ateixeira, you're not the only one thinking about a Miata/Subie combo! I have a 94 Miata, and it's an incredibly fun car especially when the weather's nice. There's nothing like driving to work with the Miata's top down on a Monday. People on the road always stare as if they are thinking, "How dare you have so much fun on a Monday morning!"

With that said, I also would like to have a more practical car for when I need to haul stuff and for dealing with inclement weather, but most of the budget wagons on the market aren't very exciting. I have cross shopped a Dodge Caravan, Ford Focus wagon, Pontiac Vibe, VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T, and the WRX wagon. So far running in first place is the WRX, followed the Jetta in a close second. Others, well, never mind.
  • Options
    Duh
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Every summer my dealer gets 3 or 4 used Miata's to sell.

-Dennis
  • Options
    I want a WRX in ADDITION to my Miata. Why does everything have to be turned into a mine-is-better-than-yours exercise?

BTW, any info on when the '03 styles will actually be available at dealers?
  • Options
    WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    Don't let them get to you....obviously in this forum, WRX's are king and nothing else compares.

If you are talking about the new WRX's without the bugeyed headlights, those are coming as '04 models for North America (since we are behind half a model year). The good news is that the 04's are coming early, dealers will be able to order them in January for late March/April delivery.

A WRX with a Miata is the sweetest possible combo for not much $. Between those two cars, it's hard deciding which one to drive (although the Miata wins out when the temperature and weather are just right)
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Subie + Miata = perfect complement to each other.

Hope you find one that you like.

-juice
  • Options
    Have you heard if the redesigned models also include the retuned engine? Turbo kicks in at 2000 rpms. Or is that just a rumour?
  • Options
    The STi definitely has some improvements that give the engine more low end grunt compared to the previous STi, but nothing is known about the regular WRX. Somehow I think that there won't be any changes.
  • Options
    artgeckoartgecko Member Posts: 78
    Miata's ain't the only perfect complement for the WRX! <wink>

(You guys knew I was going to do it, didn't you...)

Steve

• Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    miata94 Nov 25, 2002 2:18pm

you mean the '04s ;-)
    The '03s are still the bugeye loveable beast. :D

-Dave
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    My next door neighbor has a '55 MG 1500 TF (but not WRX). He's become a good friend of Joe Lucas, the "Prince of Darkness." ;)

Bob
  • Options
    surfn008surfn008 Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my WRX wagon, and the dealer put on one of their infamous "PR sticker." Does anyone out there have any suggestions on removing this sticker without damaging the paint? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    surfn008surfn008 Member Posts: 3
    I live in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia, and was wondering if anyone had a performance shop preference. I actually live outside of trenton if this helps. Thanks.
  • Options
    I never saw a black wagon in person. VERY sharp. I could never own a black car as it's high maintenance but BOY does it look nice when it's clean. BTW... you ought to get those windows tinted. Would look awesome!!
  • Options
    merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    I told the dealer to take it off. They did.
  • Options
    jmgregory5jmgregory5 Member Posts: 48
    It was the first thing I did when I got my wagon. Using a fingernail - if you have one that is, simply work the edge of the label up and pull. Any remaining residue can be removed with lighter fluid - followed by a soapy sponge to clean off the fluid.

Have fun with the car. Last week I spent 14 hours driving in 2 days going from Madison to Chicago to Minneapolis and back to Madison. I never got fatigued - including the 10 hour stint going to and from Chicago to Minneapolis.

John
  • Options
    My trip last week also showed me more people know about the wrx than I thought.

My car seemed to instill some sort of inferiority complex to certain other drivers who felt it necessary to race me. Once, the driver of a Mitsu 3000 GT that I passed as I traveled in the fast lane felt obligated to try to catch up to me. Tried is the key word here ;-) I did let him pass me - after I slowed down and moved to the right lane. I also had a tahoe do the same thing at night on my way home?!? I could hardly believe it.

John
  • Options
    ...with some idiot in a Ford Windstar who thought his minivan was superior to my WRX Wagon. Whew... he was so pissed after I passed and he couldn't keep up.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I was just @ ILP Performance in Nazareth PA, http://ilpperformance.com/ . Great guys great service! Another choice is Rallispec in NJ, but they are overbooked currently.

-mike

• Options
    dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    I pulled into the lot of the local Subaru dealer a few months ago and I was getting out the salesperson lounging outside the door said "Test driving a WRX?" I guess they know their customers. On the other hand, if you want the fun of the Miata but need four doors and a back seat, what else would you choose?
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Almost as sharp as my Black Sedan ;-)

dsattler - That was probably THE big seller at Subaru dealers a few months ago (still is one of the big sellers).
  • Options
    I don't let these kinds of things get me down because, after all, they are about things.I can't spend my life chasing the next bigger/better/faster just to impress people because I'd like to retire someday. :)

As for the '04, March doesn't seem like such a long wait. It will give me a few months to save a few more bucks.

As for changes on the '04, the information on the net always lump the '04 WRX, the STi, and the WRC rally car into a single report, so it's hard to discern what will and what won't be on the WRX. Here are the changes I think will be on the WRX:

New headlights
    Active head restraint
    Redesigned front bumper
    Collapsible brake pedal
    Gun-metal gray standard wheels
    Non-silver center console

Artgecko, nice MGA/WRX combo. Looks like the location's perfect sportscar country as well.
  • Options
    wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    miata94,
    Where are you getting this info? I too am patiently waiting (OK I admit the wait is killing me!) the release of the changes for the '04 WRX Wagon. I'm hoping they offer some sort of winter package that will include heated seats and mirrors. An optional sun/moonroof (anybody know the difference?) and leather interior would be nice too, but I can do without. I think we all know the new front end will be on the '04, but if they include the gunmetal 17" wheels that would be a bonus.

-Ian
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    sunroofs are usually solid, moonroofs transparent, so that they can let light in even when closed.
  • Options
    Just a quick wish for a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving to all!

John
  • Options
    keithllb1keithllb1 Member Posts: 30
    aaaaaand I love it still!
    Makes going to work a blast, the only upgrade is a 4 way JL amp and Boston Acoustic speakers installed where the old ones used to be and next is going to be the XM Radio adapter. My question is this? Now that winter is here, should I just wear down the stock Potenzas, and wait until the summer to get a nice performance radial for my stock 16 inch wheels? If I do any suggestions for a really nice all around performance tire, I'm leaning toward the Pole Positions by Bridgestone? so3's? Any thoughts on some hidden diamonds I don't know about, I like a good all around tire that can handle a little more speed and cornering than the ones I have now.
    Thanks Fellow Subie owners! Happy Thanksgiving! Redskins still Blow!
  • Options
    nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    As I have mentioned earlier, i have pole position so-3s and they are a mixed bag. The tires handle incredibly and make you feel invincible. Even the ride isn't that bad IMO. However, there is one caveat and it will affect you more if you live in a town or city with bad roads. The car wanders all over the road if the streets are uneven and you feel every imperfection in the road. I live in a northern new jersey city and the streets are poor. It sometimes makes city driving quite a chore. I think it is called tramlining. If this is a problem for you, I would recommend the toyo proxes t1-s. It is an excellent performer and i don't believe it has the same problem as the so-3. If you have the sedan, get 225/45/17 tires, but you should probably stick with a 215/45/17 if you have the wagon.
  • Options
    will affect you more if you have wider tires. Stick with 215's for that reason. I haven't noticed any serious tramlining with my Toyo T1-S, but it's still a bit more prevalent than the stock tires due to wider width. The tread of the T1-S doesn't have any straight continuous sections so that helps a lot.

Having a good alignment will also reduce the tramlining (so that the surface of the tire makes proper contact with the road)
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    Last month while returning back from New York, a punk in a Mercury Mystique (Ford Contour twin with a V6), was aggressively sitting on my tail in the middle lane (on a 3-lane Interstate). I knew he had a V6, since I had seen him at my previous rest-stop. I just stepped on the gas and the fellow could not figure out how the wagon kept rapidly pulling away from him, almost like he was sitting still...at around 105mph, I slowed down and allowed him to catch up. He had by then slunk away into the right lane and did not want to sit on my tail again.

Later...AH
  • Options
    walterrwalterr Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if anyone answered the question about the Dealer's sticker but it can be removed with a hair dryer if it is a sick on plate. A sticker may take some patience. I have a 2002 WRX wagon that's a year old , use Mobil 1 and has 8300 miles on it also an automatic. Any North Carolina folks on this board? The car is White and has Black interior only 2 others in town: sedans. I might want to sell, any help would be appreciated. Great car but want to retire soon and don't need a payment.

wwr@always-online.com
  • Options
    saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    I asked the dealer not to put it on. They did anyway. I pointed it out when I picked up the car and they took it off. It comes off much easier if you get it right away. Tell them to put a license plate holder on instead if they insist on putting something on your car.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Thanks for tip on removing the sticker. If you decide to sell your car, you should try using Edmunds' Used PowerShopper. This is a free service that will enable you to sell your vehicle online.

Also, please be aware that advertising is not allowed in our Town Hall discussions. Good luck, and thanks for your participation!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    walterrwalterr Member Posts: 2
    I didn't know about the selling rules. I've been off the computer for awhile. Aren't there any free selling sites? One more question has anybody got a front license plate. My school {univ} plate doesn't match has anybody just made it work by drilling another hole so it will fit?
    Thanks

Walter
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    "Aren't there any free selling sites?"

The Used PowerShopper tool I linked you, in my last post #2991, should direct you to some free online selling sites. Good luck.

And now back to the subject of the Subaru Impreza WRX.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• Options
    Well.. it's been nearly a month that I traded my Auto WRX Wagon in for my Audi allroad. Even though I love my Audi I deeply miss my Subie Wagon. What I should have done was trade in my Liberty and keep the WRX and the Audi. The Liberty is definitely a beater and is quite sturdy. Great for grocery runs and the like. I hope everyone is enjoying their little wagons. Regardless of what people say, I think the wagon is still a fine looking Subie.
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Given the choice between the Liberty and an WRX wagon to make a grocery run, I'd pick the WRX every time! Unless you're feeding a family of 12 or only shop once a quarter, the WRX should easily hold all the groceries but unless you live on the equivalent of the Rubicon Trail, the Liberty isn't going to put as big a smile on your face during the drive to and from the store.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    The Audi allroad is big enough to haul lots of stuff so the WRX would have been the sports car of the family whereas the Allroad would have been the hauler.
  • Options
    jthorsenjthorsen Member Posts: 39
    Does anybody know if the Canadian WRX has heated seats? If so, is it possible to get the Canadian version in the US? (Either thru a US dealer or by buying it in Canada and bringing it back?)

Even though I'm not sure if the wagon is big enough, and at only 30 I still feel too old to be driving it, and the styling doesn't do a whole lot for me, I just can't get it out of my mind! Oh wait, it's probably just the performance and AWD for only $23K. :)

I can't wait to get back to a fun car after going from a Integra GSR to an Isuzu Rodeo! And my lease isn't up for a few months so I can wait for the 2004's if they might include heated seats and a sunroof...

-Jon
  • Options
    rlabdikrlabdik Member Posts: 6
    Looking for feedback from anyone with the turbo and automatic--no compromise on this as wife must have auto, but I must also enjoy the vehicle--currently, we have a 99 Forester with auto.
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I have the WRX turbo wagon with the Automatic and it is a complete pleasure to drive and to own. A little sluggish off-the-line but takes off like a bat out of hell, once the rpms cross the 2500rpm mark. I purchased this vehicle for cash and it is definitely a keeper.

If I have to choose between trading in my kick-[non-permissible content removed] 2000 Acura 3.2TL with Navigation and my WRX Auto, it is going to be a tough choice, since I really like the Navigation system of the Acura and have grown addicted to using it. But in every other way, I really LOVE my WRX Auto. However, if a comparable Aftermarket Navigation system is available for a reasonable rate (that can be fitted onto the WRX), then I would definitely keep the WRX and trade-in the Acura. Unfortunately, most aftermarket Navigation systems don't have "Dead reckoning" technology that would enable them to work even with a complete absence of satellite signals, like when driving through a tunnel or an underground parking lot. Hopefully I won't have to do a trade-in and would like to keep both my cars, both of which compliment each other due to their completely contrasting natures.

Later...AH
  • Options
    The Canadian WRX does have heated seats. Works great too. But it's not simple to retrofit it and importing it maybe be problematic (I'm not sure if they would honour the warranty)

I'm way over 30 and I really don't understand the "feel too old to drive a WRX" kind of statement. I would gladly drive this car well into my 40's or 50's. Most people I know are jealous that I have one and they all know how old I am. If you work in a formal environment where you have to shuttle clients around, I might understand. I've seen grey haired folks around driving a WRX, and usually I think "wow, what a cool person to pick a WRX" instead of a Buick like most of their peers probably do.
This discussion has been closed.