Options

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• Options
    goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    1hokie,
    Actually the wagon is only 80 lbs heavier. Quite a bit less than 200 (3165 for the wagon vs. 3085 for the sedan).

-Ian
  • Options
    1hokie1hokie Member Posts: 36
    Hmm... where did I get my number from? Does the auto tranny add weight too? I just remember looking somewhere and seeing that my car was 3200 lbs, and the sedan was closer to 3000.

And how much weight does that arm rest extender add? hehehe
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Yup they do. 20 lbs.? I thought the AT should be heavier.

-Dave
  • Options
    merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    WRX sedan Manual 3085 pounds
    WRX sedan Automatic 3140 pounds
    WRX Sport Wagon Manual 3165 pounds
    WRX Sport Wagon Automatic 3220 pounds
  • Options
    goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    There you go. Sorry I didn't say which models I had used in my comparison. As you can see it was the manual versions. ;-)

-Ian
  • Options
    saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    Well, I finally managed to wear out my RE92's. There's still tread on them at 65K miles, but not much and they are hard as rocks. We got about 2 inches snow yesterday and I was out before the plows. I knew it was time for a change when a Geo Metro left me behind at a stoplight while I sat spinning my tires trying to get traction. That should never happen! I used to leave SUV's behind in a cloud of flying snow. I was also sliding through corners and the ABS was kicking in every time I touched the brakes.

I just ordered a set of Blizzaks from Tirerack. I'll be unstopable once I put them on. (I have them on my wife's Audi and you can drive in blizzards with that car and not even notice.)

Also ordered a set of gold Rota SDR's. I was going to get silver because I thought gold was too guady, but I saw a WRX with gold wheels last month and it looked awesome. I'll need to decide what kind of performance tires to put on, but I've got at least 3 months to decide. I'm kinda a Bridgestone fan so S0-3's are currently the front runner.
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    the S-03 is a fantastic tire. however for less money, a lot longer treadlife and at least 95% of the performance, try the firestone SZ-50EP.

~c
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    just ordered a set of Blizzaks from Tirerack. I'll be unstopable once I put them on. (I have them on my wife's Audi and you can drive in blizzards with that car and not even notice.)

I hope this isn't the typical mantra like the SUV crowd who feels they can go zipping all over just cause they have AWD/4wd.

-mike
  • Options
    prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    I'll be unstopable once I put them on

I always love it when folks use the word "unstoppable" to describe their car's performance in the snow... it sounds as though that's true already with the bald RE92s ;)
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    hee hee with bald RE92s or any bald tires, you can be unstoppable if you ever get going ;-)

Took Pebbles out last night [early early this morning] for a spin with the SP5000s. Certainly better handling over the RE92s. Packed snow stopping was better too. Could not do anything beyond normal snow driving with the narrow side streets and parked cars here in Brooklyn. No luxury of wide open parking lots either :(

-Dave
  • Options
    Mike, I'm offended that you would think I have the mentality of an SUV driver. If I did, I wouldn't drive a WRX.

SUV's still pass me when I drive the Audi in the snow. I only pass them when they are spun out in the ditch.
  • Options
    he's just being cautionary about overconfidence. snow tires plus AWD is indeed a wonderful thing but it doesn't make you immune to the natural laws.

~c
  • Options
    What he said. Your comment sound a bit over-zealous about the snows...

-mike
  • Options
    If you saw the way I'm forced to drive with the worn out RE92's, you'd understand my enthusiasm. I don't plan on getting carried away. Thanks for the advice though. :)
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    This, coming from the guy who routinely boasts of driving 80-100mph in the rain on his new Dunlops and probing the upper reaches of the speedometer on his ancient SVX...perhaps we should keep our own driving habits in mind before lashing out at others here.

Brian
  • Options
    You are right, we should not post anything here, about anything afterall we are not allowed our opinions...

-mike

PS: My ancient SVX is probably built better than most new subies.
  • Options
    Does it surprise you that people don't appreciate being scolded about driving aggressively by someone that brags about driving aggressively?

This is also a WRX forum. Telling us our cars suck isn't appreciated either.
  • Options
    I don't know if I can bring myself to buy Firestones. They make perfect sense given that I drive a lot of miles and rarely exceeded the adhesion of even the RE92's in the conditions I'd be using them. I'm sure they are perfectly good tires.

Firestone is the supplier of the IRL, and as a CART fan, I prefer not to support companies that support the IRL. Kinda stupid considering Bridgestone and Firestone are the same company, but what can I say, that's just the way I feel. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    I was not driving at 100mph in the rain in the SVX. I have driven it expediently on the TRACK.

-mike
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I purchased them after Colin's recommendation and after reading tons of glowing reviews on "nabisco". It's a cousin of the SO3 and uses similar technology.

Luke at the TireRack considers it the number 1 UHP tire. The SO3 (MP) will give you more grip and less treadwear. The SZ50EP is made in Japan and it might be the same place as the SO3. The SO3 is being replaced soon, so maybe some good deals will pop up.

-Dennis
  • Options
    Yokohama ES100s Great Value/performance.

-mike
  • Options
    andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    How quiet are the ES100 and SZ50EPs while rolling down the highway and do they make a screeching (high pitch) or scrubing (coarse) noise when they slide?
    Thanks,
    Don
  • Options
    Not sure on noise, it is never even a consideration when buying tires for me.

-mike
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    www.tirerack.com

There are customer ratings on noise levels and comments on all tires they sell.

Used it to help decide on my tire.

There are many great tires out there. S-O3s might be the best in terms of handling, but there are many that are close for much less money.
  • Options
    Yokohama ES100s are louder than Firestone SZ50EPs and inferior in every way. Dry grip, agility, hydroplaning resistance and ESPECIALLY wet grip.

Good thing the Yokos are a lot cheaper. ;)

~c
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Does it surprise you that people don't appreciate being scolded about driving aggressively by someone that brags about driving aggressively?

Hey mike, like it or not, saintviper makes a good point. Maybe now that you're about to turn the big three oh you might mellow a bit? ;-)

-Frank P.
  • Options
    do as I say, not as I... ;)

~c
  • Options
    redscoobyredscooby Member Posts: 55
    I have an opportunity of a good deal on a new K&N air filter for the WRX ($36, no tax, no shipping and I have a $25 gift voucher to put towards it). Any reason not to put a K&N on the WRX?

-Chris
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Unfortunately, I am not that knowledgeable on this, but have heard people state that the filter lets in more air (and a slight power increase) at the expense of letting in more dirt and other particles.

Hopefully, someone on this board can expand on this or correct me.
  • Options
    Haven't hit over 80-85 on the streets. Period end of story. Keep it at the track.

-mike
  • Options
    ...at the expense of letting in more dirt and other particles...

I've been running an Amsoil 2-stage foam filter for about 6 years (OBS/WRX) and a K&N in my wife's OB. Most people say the gains are negligible, but I swear the Amsoil helped my WRX's turbo spool quicker. :-)

I had an used oil analysis on both cars and the OB's silicon level was slightly lower than the WRX's, indicating less dirt was getting past the K&N. Foam filters are supposed to filter better than cotton gauze, but I had a couple more thousand miles on the WRX's oil.

Silicon results Outback [number in brackets avg. at 3,500 miles]:
    Silicon 11 [9] (oil-GTX)

WRX:
    Silicon 14 [9] (oil-M1)
    Lab comments: "...Copper and Silicon both read high in this sample, though neither are
    high enough to worry about. ...silicon may show some dirt getting past the air filter, and this could be causing some of the copper ..."

The Amsoil was due for a cleaning in a month (annual) and the K&N had another 25k to go (every 50k).

On an oil board that I read, the Subaru guys highly recommend sticking with OEM air filter.

-Dennis
  • Options
    I have used K&N air filters in many of my vehicles and have had no problems or real gains with them. They do last a long time but you have to clean and oil them (which you have to buy) and I have read that too much oil can mess with the air flow sensor.
    Don
  • Options
    I have used a lot of foam air filters in dirtbikes and some AMSOil ones in cars. I have also used K&N gauze filters in streetbikes and cars.

I dislike K&N filters, after having a lot of time to evaluate foam, gauze and stock paper filters. Their recommending cleaning interval is completely ludicrous, FAR too long. They need to be cleaned at least once per year. I believe the reason for this recommended interval is chiefly perception-- to make the user THINK it's filtering better than it is-- and because the construction of the filter will not survive frequent cleanings. You **will** start to get gaps in the gauze near corners and sharp bends.

AMSOil is easier to over-oil though, and difficult to un-oil and clean compared to a frameless dirtbike filter. You can just squeeze out the extra filter oil from those. But besides this minor drawback it is a far better filtering medium in terms of filter quality and durability.

that said, I still have a K&N on my M3 because I've never gotten around to buying a large generic AMSOil filter. ;)

~c
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Will mike mellow at 30?

Next, on Dr. Phil.

-juice
  • Options
    nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    I went to visit friends this past weekend up in saratoga, about 160 miles from me so I took a leisurely cruise up the thruway for 2 hours or so.
    At one point I hit somewhere between 95 and 100 and I hear this really loud whirring noise I think from the foward right of the car. Over 100 it stops under 95 it doesn't happen, it's too sudden and loud to be wind noise, but with all the rest of the wind noise it's hard to tell what it is. Any ideas? It's not perfectly consistent, but only happens in that speed range.
    Ever hear of this?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    ......down
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    Could it be the sound of the turbo spooling up? At that speed, the engine's probably turning a bit over 4K rpms and the may drown out the sound of the turbo, but it sounds possible. There are many strange noises that come from this engine -- not bad noises, but they are different for those of us who have never owned a turbocharged car before.

B
  • Options
    Do you still have stock intake?
  • Options
    jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    ...perhaps it was the little angel assigned to that wheel crying out in terror...
  • Options
    100mph on the NYS thruway is a bit excessive, especially in that corridor (not to mention cops)

-mike
  • Options
    yogi29035yogi29035 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone hear about updates in standard of optional equipment for the 2005 WRX Wagon? I'm kind do of hoping for an all-weather package, leather and a moonroof. Any news?
  • Options
    But this been a huge outcrying for the AWP in the wagon! I couldn't wait for SoA, so I traded my WRX wagon in for an XT. ;-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    Congrats on the XT. Hopefully it won't get molested like your poor WRX. I would LOVE to have the AWP on my WRX wagon, especially the headed seats and mirrors!

-Jim
  • Options
    Saab may fight SoA over that issue, it's the one main thing that distinguishes the 9-2x.

-juice
  • Options
    Juice,
     You've got to be kidding. Saab takes a Subaru development and turns around and screws Subaru enthusiasts, the same people who aforded Subaru the opportunity to develop it in the first place? There just my be no cieling to gall.
  • Options
    I'm just speculating. The ones battling might be the dealerships.

-juice
  • Options
    ctwrx1ctwrx1 Member Posts: 34
    I just installed my set of Prodrive mudflaps on my 2002 Sportwagon. They are the best quality mudflaps that I've ever bought for a car. Man, they look great! I don't want to sound like an advertisement but Arne @ www.subietech.com gave me exceptional service. He kept me up to date with my order status throughout the order process and was a pleasure to do business with.
         I installed a K & N air filter a few months back. I've had one in our minivan for about 40,000 miles. I don't claim to know anything about their filtering qualities but I recommend cleaning them every 30,000 miles in normal driving conditions. The minivans filter caught quite a bit of debris in that length of time.
         Performance wise, I can't say the minivan felt any different but my WRX got some extra zip. It seems to spool up more quickly and both mid and top end feel stronger.
         K & N filters are simple to clean, just run water over them and the debris rinses right off. Re-oiling is simple. Compared to a paper filter left in for the same length of time the K & N appears to catch more debris.
  • Options
    redscoobyredscooby Member Posts: 55
    I also bought my Prodrive mudflaps through Arne (aka SubieTech). Definitely a good guy to deal with, and the mudflaps look great on the WRX wagon.

ctwrx1 - Just curious, did you have any trouble getting the top screw in on the fronts?

-Chris
  • Options
    ctwrx1ctwrx1 Member Posts: 34
    Chris,
         Yes, there was an alignment problem with the top holes because the plastic fender lining and clip fit was off a little. When the fender well was snapped back in place it pushed the top clip past the center of the hole in the fender. I trimmed a small piece of fender well to avoid the interference.

John
  • Options
    Gee, buying something as simple as mud flaps that don't align for their specific job would piss me off. I'm not in to cutting into my multi thousand dollar investment.
This discussion has been closed.