Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @ab348‌

AB, the car is truly gorgeous and the color is what I would choose if Mercedes offered a Ruby color on its E Class instead of a Maroon Reddish color.  It's so stand-out and rich looking without being ostentatious.

I've seen your car in just about every color but it almost sells you on the styling and stance in this color.  Best choice, that's for sure.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @ab348. The ATS is a really interesting design. Your car looks like either the greenhouse was pushed back or the front is looking to push forward through the wind.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    fezo said:

Absolutely demand to get the old clutch back. If nothing else it will keep them just a touch more toward honest.

Yeah, not wanting to give you the old parts back smells bad. Tell them you will return them after inspection if they are so valuable. I'd shop for a good indie shop and a rabid lawyer.

That's two posters who've had major troubles with Audi. What's the statistical probability of that happening at random?

The clutch on my 135k rusty van is fine. Driver's should be also.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited November 2014
    @oldfarmer, Why settle for a Mustang GT? How about this mystery model?
    Scroll down to see the video. Make sure you watch the whole thing.
    http://www.torquenews.com/106/4th-2016-mustang-gt350-teaser-video-shows-stunning-silhouette
  • Options
    ab348 said:

AB...have been tooling around in an ATS turbo all day while my dealer added some tint on my windows. It is a blast to drive. Good choice. When I test drove one last year, it was only around the block. Spending the day with one is really a great experience. It should be giving the 3 series, the A4 and C class fits.

I have to be honest and say that when I first agreed to take it I had some buyers remorse of sorts, wondering if I had done the right thing, whether it was too small, etc. But a few weeks in, I absolutely love driving it. It is, as you say, a blast. Handles like it is on rails and has plenty of power, much more than the Regal. Also the reactions I am seeing are amazing to me, people are always commenting on it. I never expected that. I am actually looking for reasons to drive it. I think I made a pretty good choice.

Here are a couple of new pics I took earlier this week.

Love that color.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    edited November 2014
    Isn't the conventional wisdom that a 911 engine over 60,000 miles is living on borrowed time?

If I'm wrong, that doesn't seem like an outrageous price to me. But what do I know?

BTW @driver100 , @abacomike, @explorerx4 , thanks for the comments on the ATS pics. It was a rare nice day in November here on Tuesday and I gave it a hand wash and a coat of wax before winter. Came out looking great.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    You're changing your modus operandi.....$23000, 55K miles! What's going on?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    edited November 2014
    @oldfarmer, We need Mr_Shiftright for this one.
  • Options

fezo said:

Absolutely demand to get the old clutch back. If nothing else it will keep them just a touch more toward honest.

Yeah, not wanting to give you the old parts back smells bad. Tell them you will return them after inspection if they are so valuable. I'd shop for a good indie shop and a rabid lawyer.

That's two posters who've had major troubles with Audi. What's the statistical probability of that happening at random?

The clutch on my 135k rusty van is fine. Driver's should be also.

I can't take it to an indie shop because the car is inCanada and we are in Florida. Daughter took it to Audi....actually got towed in.....I think they did that with the free service. I wouldn't take it to an indi because it will be easier if I take it to them, and if I do get them to change their mind. It would be easier for them to absorb the cost than try to get reimbursed after taking it elsewhere. Also, I could be accused of tampering with it.

Unfortunately, if lawyer is involved I could win the war, but lose the battle....cost of lawyer would be more than what I would get back. Not to mention it's David fighting Goliath.

My best bet is small claims court or the government mediation service.

Meanwhile I have written 3 emails, I called and Sales Manager was in but busy, left a message, haven't heard back. I'll have to chase him down tomorrow. He's trying to avoid me. This ain't going to be easy.

Yes, it is pretty telling that 2 Audi's could have such huge problems...I think that's 2 for 2.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I got an email from our daughter concerning the Audi. The service manager said she can pick it up once we pay for it - they have our VISA card info and we gave them permission to charge our card. She said the service manager will offer us half off for the parts.

I find that interesting...it sounds like they are kind of admitting it might not be our fault. Also, what are parts of the $2000 total? In my limited experience parts will be about $600 and labour $1400. I don't think I would accept less than half.

Any thoughts?

• Options
    ab348 said:

Isn't the conventional wisdom that a 911 engine over 60,000 miles is living on borrowed time?

If I'm wrong, that doesn't seem like an outrageous price to me. But what do I know?

BTW @driver100 , @abacomike, @explorerx4 , thanks for the comments on the ATS pics. It was a rare nice day in November here on Tuesday and I gave it a hand wash and a coat of wax before winter. Came out looking great.

Borrowed time? Sounds like all those European cars are ready to blow right off the assembly line. An old Buick Century is looking better and better.

• Options
    driver100 said:

You're changing your modus operandi.....$23000, 55K miles! What's going on?

Well the milage is right. Otherwise pure fantasy, I probably couldn't even fit in it. I just liked that the ad used my "mature adult" tag line.

• Options
    @oldfarmer50 , what happened re the Eclipse? Last I heard you had an offer - is it gone? I still see it listed in your signature so I'm confused.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did someone mention my name?

Okay, 996 Carrera----yes, there is the spectre of possible engine failure by suicide of the intermediate shaft bearing. The IMS bearing must MUST be checked before any consideration of purchase---and even if nothing shows up, it's a bit risky.

Having said that, we have here a very nice driving car with an IMS cloud over it (unless it was replaced as a preventative measure) and a less than desirable color.

So I'd hit the car at about $18000.

For $23,000, you should be able to buy a 2001 Carrera 4 (AWD) cabriolet.

The word here is "Caution".

• Options
    You answered the call, as usual.

• Options
    A few articles about people with similar Audi clutch problems;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/52376/audi-a5-clutch-failure---can-i-keep-the-old-part-

and
    http://www.a1-forum.co.uk/a1forum/viewtopic.php?t=6994&p=99869

also someone on another forum made some points as to what they should cover and what they might not: http://www.justanswer.com/audi/1l9c6-clutch-failure.html

I've pasted some of what he said below:

==============
    "Typically clutches are not covered under warranty as they are a maintenance item.

If the clutch fails due to a defective part like a throw-out or pilot bearing, a dual mass flywheel, or a failed pressure plate, it should be covered.

I suggest you authorize them to remove the transmission for inspection. If they say it will be covered, no problem. If they say it is not covered you should go to the dealership and have them show you the associated parts and explain their diagnosis. If you agree I would let them do the clutch job. If not I would politely state that you do not believe this to be the case and request an Audi representative inspect the vehicle. Audi has "good will" funds available, and if they feel this case merits there assistance will provide it. Some times they pay full ticket, other 50%, it just depends.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems funny that they knew it was a wear and tear problem before they even took the clutch out and examined it.

One of those articles does say they use the old parts to be remanufactured, so they do have some value. But, it is a neat way to hide the evidence.

• Options
    Just got a call from Audi Service Manager. Just as I thought....50% off on parts and they took 10% off on labor. The bill with tax would have been $2350. With reductions the bill is $1650.

I told the SM I appreciate the work he has done, but I have read and heard enough to know that it is most likely a fault with the car. I said he can either charge me the full amount or the reduced amount, but I'll pursue it with mediation or small claims court. I would settle the matter if they paid half of the total amount.

He said he would give me the reduced amount and I am free to do what I like. He understands but he can't do anything more.

I said to my wife, is it worth it to pursue this over $550? She said she doesn't want to settle because it means she is at fault, and she is sure she isn't. One of those links above said a clutch should last for 150k miles!

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited November 2014
    driver100 said:

I said to my wife, is it worth it to pursue this over $550? She said she doesn't want to settle because it means she is at fault, and she is sure she isn't. One of those links above said a clutch should last for 150k miles!

Each time you mention that your wife drives a manual transmission just fine, I have to think about my wife who only knows a clutch as something that's a small hand-size purse.

I really feel I failed because my son never had to learn to drive a manual transmission. I considered buying a junker pick-em-up truck to have him learn.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    @driver100‌

$1,650 is MUCH better than $2,350. Get the car fixed so your daughter has a dependable ride. Write your letter to Audi Corporate and also add in that the dealer was sympathetic to your situation and did give you a reduced rate, but you still want to be fully reimbursed.

I think you'll get your money back, but just not quickly. Be patient.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    driver100 said:

One of those articles does say they use the old parts to be remanufactured, so they do have some value.

I would want to see clearly on the work form that the parts they put in _are_ NEW and not rebuilt. I had that pulled on me once with body work on a Ford--they put on a rechromed bumper. They replaced it because I was squawking that I never approved the substitution.

• Options

driver100 said:

Each time you mention that your wife drives a manual transmission just fine, I have to think about my wife who only knows a clutch as something that's a small hand-size purse.

I really feel I failed because my son never had to learn to drive a manual transmission. I considered buying a junker pick-em-up truck to have him learn.

Probably be easier and less expensive to take 3 or 4 lessons from a driving school. I think knowing standard makes you a better driver, you understand how the gears work better. Could make a difference for driving on snow and ice.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    ab348 said:

AB...have been tooling around in an ATS turbo all day while my dealer added some tint on my windows. It is a blast to drive. Good choice. When I test drove one last year, it was only around the block. Spending the day with one is really a great experience. It should be giving the 3 series, the A4 and C class fits.

I have to be honest and say that when I first agreed to take it I had some buyers remorse of sorts, wondering if I had done the right thing, whether it was too small, etc. But a few weeks in, I absolutely love driving it. It is, as you say, a blast. Handles like it is on rails and has plenty of power, much more than the Regal. Also the reactions I am seeing are amazing to me, people are always commenting on it. I never expected that. I am actually looking for reasons to drive it. I think I made a pretty good choice.

Here are a couple of new pics I took earlier this week.

Nice wax job. It would be a shame to drive ATS in the snow.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

@driver100‌

$1,650 is MUCH better than $2,350. Get the car fixed so your daughter has a dependable ride. Write your letter to Audi Corporate and also add in that the dealer was sympathetic to your situation and did give you a reduced rate, but you still want to be fully reimbursed.

I think you'll get your money back, but just not quickly. Be patient.

That sounds like a good approach for me to take. The car is fixed and I said they could charge me the full amount or the reduced amount, I will still follow up as a matter of principle. SM said he understands and will give me the discounted price. Our daughter will pick the car up this morning.

I will try emailing customer service at head office though that seems to be a waste of time. I'll write the Pres and will not be surprised if his secretary throws unsolicited mail into the garbage before it reaches him.

Then I have to decide whether to go to government mediation or small claims court, can't do both.

I appreciate your comments, everything helps!

• Options

driver100 said:

One of those articles does say they use the old parts to be remanufactured, so they do have some value.

I would want to see clearly on the work form that the parts they put in _are_ NEW and not rebuilt. I had that pulled on me once with body work on a Ford--they put on a rechromed bumper. They replaced it because I was squawking that I never approved the substitution.

I don't think an authorized dealer would mess with using rebuilt parts for this repair. This situation could go under the microscope with head office. That's probably a good reason for making a fuss anyway, just to insure they do the job correctly.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    BTW @driver100, even if you get stuck paying the $1,650 this is the 1st repair you've had to pay for in how many years (wife's 335xi, your 328 drop top, & your 535xi)? So using your famous driver method of calculation... :D

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I still stand by my original decision. Dump that Audi back on the dealer that sold it to you. I would have done it before the repairs, but now you have a chance to give him a perfectly good car that will probably last maybe another 10k miles before you go through this all over again. Dump that thing, wash your hands of it and move on. Get wifey a nice V6 Mustang stick. Runs forever, minimal maintenance and just as comfy as the Audi (if you get leather). Plus lots more power.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

BTW @driver100, even if you get stuck paying the $1,650 this is the 1st repair you've had to pay for in how many years (wife's 335xi, your 328 drop top, & your 535xi)? So using your famous driver method of calculation... :D

I have done that is a way. I was hoping Audi would pay half or $1200. That would mean, using the Driver Method of Cost Averaging an extra $600 a year to drive a great driving car.
    1201. At $1600 it brings it up to $800. Still not bad considering we liked the A4 much more than the 328 and the 328 was $11000 more. In a way, we are still ahead.

Using more justification, my wife doesn't buy jewellery, buy excessive clothing, or drink. So, $800 a year is kind of the cost of doing business - it's like a tax or the cost of a few speeding tickets.

I guess it's a matter of principle. Audi knows 90% of the time they can get away with this charge. I have found nothing that shows a clutch could wear out after 10k miles. My very pretty and smart trophy wife feels that if we don't prevail it is a slur against her driving ability.
    I don't like to be taken advantage of....I am as fair and honest as I can be, so I really resent it when someone or a company doesn't treat me fairly.

• Options
    mako1a said:

I still stand by my original decision. Dump that Audi back on the dealer that sold it to you. I would have done it before the repairs, but now you have a chance to give him a perfectly good car that will probably last maybe another 10k miles before you go through this all over again. Dump that thing, wash your hands of it and move on. Get wifey a nice V6 Mustang stick. Runs forever, minimal maintenance and just as comfy as the Audi (if you get leather). Plus lots more power.

That's a great plan Mako....I'd like thatbecause I could take the Mustang out for a spin when I was in the mood.

My wife lived in Europe (England) for a few years and she loves European cars. She knows what she wants and she won't give up her Euro-cars. I will say, she wants to dump the Audi just because it has really let her down. If I was back home I would see what the difference would be between a 2014 C Class Mercedes and the Audi. It may be better to get one or two more years use out of the Audi and try to trade it in before something like this happens again.

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    First I have to say that I'd never be buying a Cadillac but every time I see ab's pictures I weaken. They've got a nice, blue one parked inside the local Costco. My kingdom for a stick!

driver - I get your wife's thing for European cars. Even since I was 17 and drove about ten miles in my uncle's Opel Kadette with a stick I've been hooked but have had limited trips down the aisle with them - the Rabbit, a Volvo 142 and a Saab 99. The Saab was the easy favorite.

If they made an X1 with a stick I could be all set. Right now I have the luxury of just looking. After December there will be no car payments on any of the cars so I can build up the car fund. If I can keep to the plan of holding on for 5 years we should be in position to buy two basic type vehicles (say, low $20s) or go to my usual 2 or 3 year old low mileage.

Whatever works. My wife, daughter and I are all thrilled with what we have right now. I wouldn't be thrilled with their cars but that's fine. I love my 6.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    bwia said:

Nice wax job. It would be a shame to drive ATS in the snow.

Thank you. It will not get driven much in the snow now that I don't have to go to a job every weekday. I can pick and choose when to take it out to minimize that, for the most part. Of course, having said that, I am supposed to make a 400 mile x2 round trip the end of next week and the long-range forecast is looking questionable at the moment. It might cost me a couple of hundred dollars in nonrefundable tickets if I cancel but I will not be driving this through the wilderness in a blizzard, even with AWD.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    driver100 said:

I guess it's a matter of principle. Audi knows 90% of the time they can get away with this charge. I have found nothing that shows a clutch could wear out after 10k miles. My very pretty and smart trophy wife feels that if we don't prevail it is a slur against her driving ability.
    I don't like to be taken advantage of....I am as fair and honest as I can be, so I really resent it when someone or a company doesn't treat me fairly.

That's what bothers me most about this. You mentioned that they declared it not covered and due to wear and tear even before they had turned a wrench. That really means they are saying that Audi has never built a car with a bad clutch, flywheel or other parts of that assembly. That's ridiculous.

When I had my Regal I brought it in to the dealer once complaining about a brake vibration. They changed the pads because they said they were delaminating. Brake pads are a wear and tear item and I suppose they could have claimed I rode the brakes and caused that. But they didn't and I never had to do a thing to get them to do it. The car probably had 25,000km on it at the time. Obviously that is a lot less expensive a job, but the principle remains. Defective "wear and tear" parts are still defective, and the manufacturers warranty should cover those sort of cases. I have no doubt your clutch assembly had a defect. And who knows, whatever defect it has may still be there.

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Shifty
    My sister has a 2005 Mini she loves. Doesn't like the new ones. Lives in Palo Alto and has restaurants. Still drives a stick and at 150K miles had a trusted Indy shop put in a new[ 28k miles] engine and new clutch -brakes etc. Cost her 8K out the door --- the shop loves working on her car -- she buys everything there -tires, oil changes etc. I asked her why she just didn't buy new -- hates the new style -- hers is perfect for her. She will drive it forever -- no rust issus and a great relationship with the mechanic. She is 65, drives a Mini stick, and oh yeah, she is single.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ab348 said:

@oldfarmer50 , what happened re the Eclipse? Last I heard you had an offer - is it gone? I still see it listed in your signature so I'm confused.

Well, I test drove a Mustang GT two weeks ago. I was kind of underwhelmed by the acceleration and lack of rumble from what is suppose to be a hot rod (Eclipse has a better exhaust note). The standard tranny was distracting too because it was so unlike any I had driven before. In short, I just wasn't blown away enough to slap down $35k.

The salesman was great, indicated that my request for $9500 for the Eclipse was doable and he could order it exactly how I wanted for delivery in a month. Tempting but I'd have to drive an auto before I could commit.

Then that night I got sick as a dog and have been fighting a sinus infection for two weeks. Yesterday my wife had surgery. Pretty much put things on hold.

Maybe that for the best. The "hot to buy" urge has faded and if I do end up buying it will be less emotional.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Yeah but driver pays that new car premium so he doesn't have to go through this nonsense.

I like your idea of getting her a Mustang but I'd recommend the turbo 4. More European feel.

• Options

Then that night I got sick as a dog and have been fighting a sinus infection for two weeks. Yesterday my wife had surgery.

Hope your wife is doing well after surgery and that your sinuses clear out. I recommend Pseudoephedrine if you can tolerate it.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Farmer, sorry to hear you are sick. My daughter at college just had to go to health services. turns out she had a sinus infection too. She was kind of sad not being at home to get babied!

And for the Driver Audi, as others mentioned, I would have a serious question about a diagnosis before even taking it apart. I hope they also put all the used parts in the trunk.

You also might be OK for the future. Because if it was the car, and it was a defective/poorly installed or adjusted part, in theory that problem has now been rectified. Honestly the acid test to prove your case? If your wife keeps it and runs it up to 100K with no issues, that IMO would prove it was the car, not her. because basically the dealer is saying you only got 10K on the first one, so you should expect to do a clutch job with every oil change!

Actually, use that logic when you are fighting it. Because if a car is designed that in normal use it needs a 2K clutch every time it needs service, it is defective and should be lemoned out!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

Did someone mention my name?

Okay, 996 Carrera----yes, there is the spectre of possible engine failure by suicide of the intermediate shaft bearing. The IMS bearing must MUST be checked before any consideration of purchase---and even if nothing shows up, it's a bit risky.

Having said that, we have here a very nice driving car with an IMS cloud over it (unless it was replaced as a preventative measure) and a less than desirable color.

So I'd hit the car at about $18000.

For $23,000, you should be able to buy a 2001 Carrera 4 (AWD) cabriolet.

The word here is "Caution".

Sure, sure. You are probably on your way right now to buy it ! :D

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Mustang is an interesting idea, but much different driving experience. Harder to see out of, and not suitable for Canada if you are concerned about having AWD.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

You answered the call, as usual.

That Batman pic. is one of those pics you can look at in two ways. If you concentrate on the white portions of the pic you will see a mouthful of ugly teeeth !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    My b-i-l taught me to drive a manual in his Neopolitan, a tiny little car. On every drive the gears would hang up and you would have to stop, raise the hood, and bang on the gearing mechanism with a hammer to shake the gears loose. I thought you had to do this with all manual trans.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Your sister knows her cars! The "old" Mini is a lot more fun to drive than the newer ones. As we have all seen, as a model progresses and develops, very often the fun is ironed out of it.

I'm at 118K with original clutch, so I'd be pleased to hit 150K before having to pay for a very expensive new clutch. It was kind of smart to replace the engine at the same time, since to replace the clutch on the MINI you pretty much have to tear the car to pieces. Might as well just pull the engine out, since everything around it, under it, over it, and in front of it, is out. it's ready to fall out anyway.

jayrider said:

Shifty
    My sister has a 2005 Mini she loves. Doesn't like the new ones. Lives in Palo Alto and has restaurants. Still drives a stick and at 150K miles had a trusted Indy shop put in a new[ 28k miles] engine and new clutch -brakes etc. Cost her 8K out the door --- the shop loves working on her car -- she buys everything there -tires, oil changes etc. I asked her why she just didn't buy new -- hates the new style -- hers is perfect for her. She will drive it forever -- no rust issus and a great relationship with the mechanic. She is 65, drives a Mini stick, and oh yeah, she is single.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    oldfarmer....get well soon. Hope yours and your family's maladies are short lived.

driver....Not sure what's going on with some of these manufacturers. First, it was Mike's go round with Mercedes (BTW Mike, no way I'd buy that E400 from them now). Now, it's your foibles with Audi.

It never ceases to amaze me how some manufacturers, when given the opportunity to shine in their customers' eyes, totally ignore them.

I'm sorry, but even racing your A4 wouldn't cause the clutch to die at 10K miles. Who are they trying to fool? They actually think you or your wife were doing smoky burnouts by reving to redline and dumping the clutch every time you drove it? That's what it would take to burn out a clutch in 10K miles. Even then, I'm not so sure about that. I would consider that a personal insult by Audi. Unfortunately, that's not surprising given that Audi's attitude was the same with my S4's DSG tranny and Quattro troubles. Actually, I would throw it back into their lap and let them know how insulted you are by their insinuations.

The time for using honey instead of vinegar is now past.

Funny, it used to be the GMs and Fords that did that sort of stuff. Now, it's switched, with GM (at least Cadillac) and Ford becoming more customer focused.

It took Cadillac 10 years for me to consider them again. Audi, not sure if I'll ever go back to them. Of all manufacturer's to act that way, the last I would have considered would be Audi given how they had to climb back from the brink after the 60 Minutes blood bath. You'd think they'd be much more tuned into their customer to retain them after that fiasco.

Let us know how it turns out.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    houdini1 said:

My b-i-l taught me to drive a manual in his Neopolitan, a tiny little car. On every drive the gears would hang up and you would have to stop, raise the hood, and bang on the gearing mechanism with a hammer to shake the gears loose. I thought you had to do this with all manual trans.

When I had my summer job with the KY Highway Department I was often stuck with an old Ford pickup with a three speed column shift.. The linkage was screwed up and I had to pop the hood and yank on the shift rods so that I could either have first and reverse or second and third.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

houdini1 said:

When I had my summer job with the KY Highway Department I was often stuck with an old Ford pickup with a three speed column shift.. The linkage was screwed up and I had to pop the hood and yank on the shift rods so that I could either have first and reverse or second and third.
    Exactly. If pulling on the rods didn't work, there was always the rubber hammer.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options

oldfarmer....get well soon. Hope yours and your family's maladies are short lived.

I'm sorry, but even racing your A4 wouldn't cause the clutch to die at 10K miles. Who are they trying to fool? They actually think you or your wife were doing smoky burnouts by reving to redline and dumping the clutch every time you drove it? That's what it would take to burn out a clutch in 10K miles. Even then, I'm not so sure about that. Of all manufacturer's to act that way, the last I would have considered would be Audi given how they had to climb back from the brink after the 60 Minutes blood bath. You'd think they'd be much more tuned into their customer to retain them after that fiasco.

Let us know how it turns out.

Yes, hope oldfarmer and family are on the mend.

Thanks for the thoughts....it is good to know that someone who knows mechanicals can actually say it is almost impossible for someone to burn out a clutch at 10K miles.

Funny too....we are guilty until proven innocent - if I ever get the chance. They assume as soon as they know it's a clutch it is wear and tear. They can't admit that they could be at fault?

That 60 Minutes episode came back to me too. Do they actually think we would buy another Audi? Do they not think I am going to tell people about my experience? We used to be in their fan club.....my friend bought his R4 because I talked about how much I liked our Audi. I don't know if I have the heart to tell him about this episode. I might let him just enjoy his car and not say anything...his is automatic, and I'll hope for the best.

• Options
    *Driver, I am going to play Devil's advocate and defend Audi on this one. Audi spent the better part of 20 years rehabilitating its reputation that was tainted by 60 minutes. And here you come taking them down that road again.

An automobile is a complex machine and like all machines (especially a clutch that is exposed to frequent and unorthodox use) will break down, be it at 10K or 100K miles. Furthermore, the driver input has a lot to do with how long a clutch lasts. I remember driving with two guys (mechanical engineers to boot) who destroyed clutches (Saab 9-3) with impunity although they claimed to be good drivers. Not because someone can drive a standard shift vehicle are they an expert on all models.

Besides, unless you can prove that the clutch was defective and as a result failed prematurely it would not be covered by a standard warranty; it is a simply considered normal wear and tear like brakes or tires. So suck it up lick your wounds and ask your spouse and daughter to take driver-ed classes. (just joking.)

With that said I would pay the $1,650 and insist that the replacement clutch be covered by a warranty for as long as you own the car.
  • Options

Ditto and be well
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @oldfarmer50‌

Feel better soon - my hopes for rapid recoveries for your entire family.

@bwia

I could understand your position regarding Audi if Mrs. Driver had gone through clutches quickly on her 335xi and/or her Passat.  But there I no evidence of that.  There is no excuse for a clutch to malfunction after only 10,000 miles and in just a year's time.  It had to be a defective clutch!  

I have not heard of anyone going through a clutch in just 10,000 miles in my entire life.  It has to be an embarrassment for an Audi technician to have to replace a clutch in a brand new car so soon.  There are many cases of clutch failures on Audi vehicles in the past 2 years as evidenced by the research many of our posters have undertaken on Driver's behalf.

If this was truly the owner's fault, why was Audi so quick to cut the cost to $1650 (which is outrageous to begin with)?  As I mentioned in a previous post, if the dealership went to bat 100% for Driver, the clutch would have been replaced under warranty.

My dealership went to bat for me and was able to get my replacement car built with an upgraded Driver Assistance Package whether Mercedes paid for it or not.  Additionally, my dealer is losing a few thousand on my trade by keeping the ACV at the October levels for mid December for my trade.  It has everything to do with the dealership and what they do for their customers.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

Then that night I got sick as a dog and have been fighting a sinus infection for two weeks. Yesterday my wife had surgery.

Hope your wife is doing well after surgery and that your sinuses clear out. I recommend Pseudoephedrine if you can tolerate it.

Thanks, the wife had cataract surgery which went well. She can actually see without glasses for the first time in her life. Me, I've been on antibiotics and am recovering. Pseudoephedrine offers some relief but after awhile it turns me cranky so I don't use it except as a last resort.