Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,980
    edited August 2018
    suydam said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

They got the "no" part right anyway. The weird design of the infotainment screen is enough for me.

ab348 said:

I think that's the first time anyone applied that adjective to an Azera.

It is like they are trying so hard...to match German luxury cars, but, try to be a bit different. Makes me want to say a good try.........but, why not just buy the real thing....and not a wannabe.

Because you won't hear a Hyundai owner say that they would never own one out of warranty.
    I love to hear those hand-wringing bed wetters make comments like that- it keeps depreciation high and lets me pick up a nice car at a lower price. Of course the majority of those experts haven't even sat in the car they are talking about.

I'll tell you this, being on these forums and hearing what a lot of BMW and MB owners say has turned me away from getting one. I would welcome a "wannabe" from a company that has proven themselves to me

I didn’t know my only choices were Toyota or Mercedes. :) Talk about extremes! Fortunately there are other very good vehicles out there that are fun to drive AND get good FE. Somewhere between super cheap and super expensive

I agree, there are lots of less expensive cars that are fun to drive, VWs, Hondas, Mazdas and more...I was just being devils advocate to remarks made that it is better to buy a car that is reliable, than spend big bucks on a car that isn't reliable.........Mercedes and Toyota seem to be two extremes.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    Best of luck to your grandson as he's off to college.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,334
    abacomike said:
    berri said:
    Just stay off I-80 if you go into Nebraska. I once drove across that state running into one huge dust storm after another spurred on by huge sidewinds (took over 11 hours to traverse it on I-80). The worst was stopping at a gas station and as I opened my wallet to get a credit card, this huge wind vortex roared and literally sucked my wallet almost clean. No, we're not talking pickpockets in Paris or scammers. The only thing that saved me was that there was a ravine nearby where everything came to an abrupt halt, letting me retrieve the contents Mother nature tried to swipe. OK Mike, I can cheer for Doane, but as for the University, we've got representation at several competing Big 10 schools, so that ain't gonna happen ;) But I'll be honest, Omaha is a pretty nice city.
    When I spoke with my grandson this afternoon I asked him if he was ready for lots of snow and cold weather.  He said he was looking forward to the snow since he has never seen snow close up.  I responded to his comment and said that he will soon hate the sight of that white stuff.  As for cold weather, he said it will be a relief to get out of the 110+ degrees in Palm Desert.  I then reminded him about 100+ degree summers in Nebraska and the fact that most of NE is part of Tornado Alley.

He then said that his education was more important than cold, snow and tornadoes.  Oh, to be young again!  :D
    The big question is what is he going to study?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2018
    abacomike said:
    berri said:
    Just stay off I-80 if you go into Nebraska. I once drove across that state running into one huge dust storm after another spurred on by huge sidewinds (took over 11 hours to traverse it on I-80). The worst was stopping at a gas station and as I opened my wallet to get a credit card, this huge wind vortex roared and literally sucked my wallet almost clean. No, we're not talking pickpockets in Paris or scammers. The only thing that saved me was that there was a ravine nearby where everything came to an abrupt halt, letting me retrieve the contents Mother nature tried to swipe. OK Mike, I can cheer for Doane, but as for the University, we've got representation at several competing Big 10 schools, so that ain't gonna happen ;) But I'll be honest, Omaha is a pretty nice city.
    When I spoke with my grandson this afternoon I asked him if he was ready for lots of snow and cold weather.  He said he was looking forward to the snow since he has never seen snow close up.  I responded to his comment and said that he will soon hate the sight of that white stuff.  As for cold weather, he said it will be a relief to get out of the 110+ degrees in Palm Desert.  I then reminded him about 100+ degree summers in Nebraska and the fact that most of NE is part of Tornado Alley.

He then said that his education was more important than cold, snow and tornadoes.  Oh, to be young again!  :D
    He wants to go into Education and Computer Technology.  The University has a great Education program.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    abacomike said:

He wants to go into Education and Computer Technology.  The University has a great Education program.

What is his occupation goal?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    abacomike said:
    abacomike said:
    berri said:

Sounds like a good combination. Would always be in demand with how technology is going.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,894
    abacomike said:

Just got a call from my grandson Dylan - he has a 5:30 AM flight to Lincoln Nebraska with a stop in Denver tomorrow morning.  Yep, my first grandson is off to college tomorrow.  

He gave me his checking account number so I can deposit the remaining installment of his graduation gift right into his account - his bank has a branch right in the town where his college is.

He’s already made contact with his roommate who is also on the baseball team.  So at least he has a jock for his roommate which is a good thing.  The baseball coach is picking him up at the airport to drive him to the campus.

I have tears in my eyes - this was my little blond and blue-eyed grandson whose eyes lit up every time I saw him.  Now he is a man off to college.  The tears are for happiness and a little melancholia.  He’s not my “little boy” anymore.  :'(;)B)

I don't know about Division II or III, but in Division 1 it is probably an NCAA offense if the coach picked him up at the airport. It may get the athlete and/or the college in trouble. It would be considered an extra benefit not available to all students...unless the coach picked up all students at the airport. :)

Just a heads up.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Maybe it was one of those hi-output 2.0L turbo models.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,106
    This is unusual, and sort of sad.

Most of my USA friends on here are probably unaware, but Canada is in a diplomatic tussle with Saudi Arabia right now thanks to some ill-advised public shaming of Saudi Arabia's human rights record by our idiot federal government. The Saudis did not take it well and reacted by withdrawing their ambassador among other things and ordering all their nationals who were resident in Canada to leave by the end of August.

Locally we have a good-sized number of Saudis in university here, particularly in our medical school and working as interns or residents at our hospitals. This week there have been a number of "yard sales" organized by the mosque for those affected to liquidate their household items, and now come the vehicles. There was no list of cars posted and I'm not sure if this is a photo of the actual vehicles but they have the reputation for driving high-end cars.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    What is his occupation goal?
    Teaching in elementary/secondary school (grades 6-12) especially physical education or coaching.  Possibly follow in his farher’s footsteps.  My son is Training Director in a large physical fitness franchise.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I taught lots of California kids at my small Ohio college. They regarded seasons as a fun thing to experience! Not likely they’ll stay in those places, so a good time to have that experience!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    venture said:
    Just got a call from my grandson Dylan - he has a 5:30 AM flight to Lincoln Nebraska with a stop in Denver tomorrow morning.  Yep, my first grandson is off to college tomorrow.  

He gave me his checking account number so I can deposit the remaining installment of his graduation gift right into his account - his bank has a branch right in the town where his college is.

He’s already made contact with his roommate who is also on the baseball team.  So at least he has a jock for his roommate which is a good thing.  The baseball coach is picking him up at the airport to drive him to the campus.

I have tears in my eyes - this was my little blond and blue-eyed grandson whose eyes lit up every time I saw him.  Now he is a man off to college.  The tears are for happiness and a little melancholia.  He’s not my “little boy” anymore.  :'(;)B)
    I don't know about Division II or III, but in Division 1 it is probably an NCAA offense if the coach picked him up at the airport. It may get the athlete and/or the college in trouble. It would be considered an extra benefit not available to all students...unless the coach picked up all students at the airport. :) Just a heads up.
    Coaches arrange to have all out of state students arriving at the airport picked up who have no transportation.  It’s offered to ALL students flying in.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,894
    abacomike said:

venture said:

abacomike said:

I don't know about Division II or III, but in Division 1 it is probably an NCAA offense if the coach picked him up at the airport. It may get the athlete and/or the college in trouble. It would be considered an extra benefit not available to all students...unless the coach picked up all students at the airport. :)

Just a heads up.

Coaches arrange to have all out of state students arriving at the airport picked up who have no transportation.  It’s offered to ALL students flying in.

He should be good then.

It sometimes amazes me what is a violation. For example: a coach cannot pick up one of his players and give him/her a ride even if there is a downpour. Crazy.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    ab348 said:

This is unusual, and sort of sad.

Most of my USA friends on here are probably unaware, but Canada is in a diplomatic tussle with Saudi Arabia right now thanks to some ill-advised public shaming of Saudi Arabia's human rights record by our idiot federal government. The Saudis did not take it well and reacted by withdrawing their ambassador among other things and ordering all their nationals who were resident in Canada to leave by the end of August.

Locally we have a good-sized number of Saudis in university here, particularly in our medical school and working as interns or residents at our hospitals. This week there have been a number of "yard sales" organized by the mosque for those affected to liquidate their household items, and now come the vehicles. There was no list of cars posted and I'm not sure if this is a photo of the actual vehicles but they have the reputation for driving high-end cars.

If I was in the market and in the area, I would check it out....probably some good deals.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,375
    abacomike said:

Teaching in elementary/secondary school (grades 6-12) especially physical education or coaching.  Possibly follow in his farher’s footsteps.  My son is Training Director in a large physical fitness franchise.

I admire him if he wants to make that a career; I sure couldn't do it- the only place I'd even remotely consider teaching is at a college or a law school.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,966
    xwesx said:
    :D
    Q, you left out all the relevant information! How am I going to get set up at the track without your reservation number?! :(
    I was using my head. I blanked out important details. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,445
    @abacomike - best wishes to your grandson as he goes off to college.  Education is a wonderful field to go into.  You have the ability to make a real difference in people’s lives as well as have the opportunity to collect excellent retirement benefits.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,591
    speaking of accidents, my son texted earlier about a guy where he works. Spent about a year searching for the perfect Porsche. Finally found it last year. a 2012ish Cayman. Yesterday, he got rear ended. Did not seem like a big accident, but it did enough damage to the structure (I assume) that it got totaled. Needless to say, he is really bummed and ticked off.

And no real surprise. Got rammed into by a 19 YO girl who was on her phone texting.

I would be suing the heck out of her parents (who probably own/insure the car). Just for spite.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    My last post keeps coming up in the comment space...so I deleted it and will leave this one.

HI! ;)

btw.....where is jmonroe?

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    driver100 said:
    My last post keeps coming up in the comment space...so I deleted it and will leave this one. HI! ;) btw.....where is jmonroe?
    Out buying a wannabe  :D:D

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

My last post keeps coming up in the comment space...so I deleted it and will leave this one.

HI! ;)

Yeh, looking for a new Alzera! :)

• Options
    driver100 said:
    driver100 said:
    My last post keeps coming up in the comment space...so I deleted it and will leave this one. HI! ;) btw.....where is jmonroe?
    Is that some new Middle East vehicle or is it a television channel in The Middle East?  Couldn’t be that Korean car named Azera, could it?  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

nyccarguy said:
    @abacomike - best wishes to your grandson as he goes off to college.  Education is a wonderful field to go into.  You have the ability to make a real difference in people’s lives as well as have the opportunity to collect excellent retirement Benefits.
    Retirement benefits for educators is not what it used to be.  Many States have reduced benefits for recent hires (last 10 years).

It also depends on the State in which you taught.  I receive 1/2 the amount from Illinois that a friend of mine receives from New York.  He gets over $110,000 a year in pension benefits + health insurance.  Many midwestern and plains States are quite low.  Here in Florida, pensions are abysmal.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    There are a couple of NYS teachers in my family. The sometimes get talking about pension tiers. The younger one (58 vs. 43) complains about her plan being lower (though I think she just snuck in before the benefits were reduced). The older one retires as soon as she has he 58th birthday because that maxes her out. Not sure exactly what the % is, but I think at least 75% with full medical. And teaching in a suburban LI district (the wealthy part of the island), she is not underpaid. I would love that deal! Maybe not enough to put up with a classroom full of HS freshman though.

• Options
    I know it isn't easy, but at a little over 180 days per school year (basically 6 months) with summers off and the pension (not as great as it used to be, but still...). Do it for 20 years or 25 years and get out.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    NYPD was great for that. My best friends father was a city cop. joined at like 22 after getting out of the army. retired at 42 with a 75% pension and medical benefits. then he went to work for the NY national guard (as a civilian) which I believe was in the state pension pool. Worked another 20, retired again at 62 with a large pension. between the 2 pensions he was making much more than he ever did working, plus lifetime medical coverage.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:
    I know it isn't easy, but at a little over 180 days per school year (basically 6 months) with summers off and the pension (not as great as it used to be, but still...). Do it for 20 years or 25 years and get out.
    That’s exactly what I did.  I put 25 years into education (teaching and administration) and in my second life I was in private school administration and car sales and management.  When I couple my pension (3% increase every January 1st) and my social security, I live nicely.  No complaints at all.  But if I got a NY State pension, it would be sweet!

I always taught 12 months a year and my administrative contracts were 12 months, so I never got summers off.  Taught summer school every year to make ends meet.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguy said:
    NYPD was great for that. My best friends father was a city cop. joined at like 22 after getting out of the army. retired at 42 with a 75% pension and medical benefits. then he went to work for the NY national guard (as a civilian) which I believe was in the state pension pool. Worked another 20, retired again at 62 with a large pension. between the 2 pensions he was making much more than he ever did working, plus lifetime medical coverage.
    Yep - one of my best friends down here retired at 54 years old as a NYC detective.  Retirement pension is two times greater than my pension and he and his wife have full medical coverage.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguy said:
    There are a couple of NYS teachers in my family. The sometimes get talking about pension tiers. The younger one (58 vs. 43) complains about her plan being lower (though I think she just snuck in before the benefits were reduced). The older one retires as soon as she has he 58th birthday because that maxes her out. Not sure exactly what the % is, but I think at least 75% with full medical. And teaching in a suburban LI district (the wealthy part of the island), she is not underpaid. I would love that deal! Maybe not enough to put up with a classroom full of HS freshman though.
    Illinois has pension ties based on when you started. It basically affects when you get vestedcand when you can retire. Currently I am 30 months from my earliest retirement date but will likely go way beyond that date.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,186
    And he probably complained about taxes B)
    stickguy said:

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

None of the teachers in the small Midwest schools where I lived got summers off. They all worked summer jobs to make ends meet. They also bought most of the school supplies they needed out of their own pocket. We will have a very hard time attracting the best and brightest teachers of the future if we as a society don’t value them and pay them well.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    abacomike said:

nyccarguy said:

That’s exactly what I did.  I put 25 years into education (teaching and administration) and in my second life I was in private school administration and car sales and management.  When I couple my pension (3% increase every January 1st) and my social security, I live nicely.  No complaints at all.  But if I got a NY State pension, it would be sweet!

I always taught 12 months a year and my administrative contracts were 12 months, so I never got summers off.  Taught summer school every year to make ends meet.

"But if I got a NY State pension, it would be sweet"

Sweet, like being able to afford an S Class Mercedes (or BMW 750) once every year or so ;)

• Options
    nyccarguy said:
    nyccarguy said:

"But if I got a NY State pension, it would be sweet" Sweet, like being able to afford an S Class Mercedes (or BMW 750) once every year or so ;)
    You bet!  But I can’t do that any more - that’s why I am leasing - keeps me from buying cars every year or so.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    What about the pension offset for those retirees receiving both social security and a public pension simultaneously.

The way I understand it is that your social security benefits are reduced (offset) by your your public pension benefits by a certain amount that basically prevents double dipping. Not sure if that provision applies to all public pension plans though as in Massachusetts. 
  • Options
    I believe there are a lot of offset rules baked into SS. Also for earned income. It makes sense since people in the public sector did not pay SS on those wages.

Bean, I don't think you can make that blanket statement about teachers. It really depends where you are. In most NE states, if you are teaching in a suburban district, the pay is quite good with excellent benefits (on top of the pension). and of course, lots of days off. Different story in some other parts of the country, or in many inner cities. But, that is the same for most jobs.

and of course, if it is a job that is so thankless that you don't want to do it, you should find a different profession.

• Options
    Most teachers I know love their jobs but have a hard time living on the low salary. Even in the Northeast, the pay may be higher than for teachers elsewhere, but so is the cost of living.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    bwia said:
    What about the pension offset for those retirees receiving both social security and a public pension simultaneously.

The way I understand it is that your social security benefits are reduced (offset) by your your public pension benefits by a certain amount that basically prevents double dipping. Not sure if that provision applies to all public pension plans though as in Massachusetts. 
    I have both because I always had a part time job or worked weekends when I taught.  Couldn’t live on a Teacher’s salary.  They did not take out social security on my teacher’s Salary - I paid in 8.5% of my own money to the State teacher retirement system.  But because I had 33 full years of quarters for social security wages, my social security was not reduced by the offset.  Also, my last 10 years of social security wages were my highest salaried employment which raised my benefits from $950 a month to $1400+ a month.  I was lucky to have had sufficient years of social security covered employment.

Most teachers in Illinois are not covered by social security.  But I did have to pay into Medicare - thank goodness - so I was covered.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,808
    suydam said:

Most teachers I know love their jobs but have a hard time living on the low salary. Even in the Northeast, the pay may be higher than for teachers elsewhere, but so is the cost of living.

Yes, definitely. My wife and I will likely move to a semi-rural, fairly low-income area at some point. I told her that I am happy to do so as long as I am not tied to the local economy. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

HI! ;)

Is that some new Middle East vehicle or is it a television channel in The Middle East?  Couldn’t be that Korean car named Azera, could it?  :D

I actually did that on purpose....was going to call it an Al Jazeera. :p

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

I pay $689 per year - if you pay early, you save about 10%. I have a homestead exemption which lowers my assessed valuation by $25,000 - thus saving tax assessment. When you live in your house or condo, you are entitled to that exemption. If you do not live in your house or condo, you are not entitled to the exemption.

abacomike - if you've paid off your condo already, you've got a pretty solid deal on your housing. Our Alamogordo home purchased in late March of 2018 was bought for $130,000. We plan on retiring here, yep. But you've got yourself a good deal, too. With only $689 in property taxes a year and the $500 a month HOA fees, you do have money around ta buy an expensive German car. Good for you, man! Congratulations! Seriously. And your condo building looks great, too. Comfortable looking living!

I can't begin to believe these prices! In the Seattle area a decent 2 Bedroom condo is going to push 400,000 and a decent house in a nice neighborhood is going to double that number at least!

Property taxes? Don't ask along with our 10% Sales Tax! No Income Tax but they get those dollars elsewhere!
  • Options
    bwia said:

I am not sure if there is an offset, why should there be? If you paid into SS then you should get what is due to you. Do people that get a pension from a private corporation have an offset?

• Options
    We have been watching Goliath on Prime. I like Billy Bob Thornton's 65 Mustang he drives around in....amazing the car still runs:

• Options
    Property tax rates here aren't too bad compared to many locations. The other taxes, well, yeah.

I see real estate inflation is starting to slow, if not even a slight decline in some prices. But still enough to give a windfall to lucky (I mean, smart investor LOLOLOLOLOL) demographics.

I can't begin to believe these prices! In the Seattle area a decent 2 Bedroom condo is going to push 400,000 and a decent house in a nice neighborhood is going to double that number at least!

Property taxes? Don't ask along with our 10% Sales Tax! No Income Tax but they get those dollars elsewhere!

• Options
    Back to Pendleton? :)

There will be an exodus of retirees from the more first world coastal cities, especially those not lucky enough to benefit from public sector largesse in terms of retirement income. It's just too expensive for normal people, unless they have a big inheritance or similar. The lucky ones (who bought housing back when it was attainable for normal working people without parental help) are now sometimes moving to points south and east.
    xwesx said:

Yes, definitely. My wife and I will likely move to a semi-rural, fairly low-income area at some point. I told her that I am happy to do so as long as I am not tied to the local economy. :)

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,375
    My opponent sent out a mailer claiming that I would be double-dipping if I was elected. The facts were that judicial pensions are in an entirely different system than the Commonwealth's Attorney- and you cannot opt out- so the state would have the same expense no matter who was elected, although in my case the state would actually save money as my health insurance is paid through judicial retirement.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    If my wife wasn't obsessed with staying closer to her family in the NE (that are all too silly to move), I was going to be all about moving to the upper south (top of NC). Like the weather, reasonably close still. And I could replace my house with something nice and plenty roomy for 1/2 the cost, with 1/4 or less of the property taxes.

alas, I am scrambling to find a plan B. Actually thinking about selling if we get an offer that makes sense, and moving nearby but renting a townhouse to try out the lifestyle. And ultimately buy something someplace most likely as a retirement home, and maybe rent it out until needed.

though at the pace things are moving, I will be stuck here paying the mortgage and crazy taxes until I drop dead at my desk. Moving would pull retirement age up probably 5 years, minimum.

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    stickguy said:

I believe there are a lot of offset rules baked into SS. Also for earned income. It makes sense since people in the public sector did not pay SS on those wages.

Bean, I don't think you can make that blanket statement about teachers. It really depends where you are. In most NE states, if you are teaching in a suburban district, the pay is quite good with excellent benefits (on top of the pension). and of course, lots of days off. Different story in some other parts of the country, or in many inner cities. But, that is the same for most jobs.

and of course, if it is a job that is so thankless that you don't want to do it, you should find a different profession.

@stickguy, even if the pay is what you might consider "good", I doubt many of us would even think of doing a teachers job. It's way different than when we were in school. Teachers can't even mildly discipline students; most parents go ballistic if their "angel" were disciplined. Then there is the stupid standardized tests that have tied teachers hands on how they structure their curriculum. Plus constant budget cutting from the school boards. I think I can make that as a blanket statement - teaching has sadly become a dead-end job due to what society has done to it. It's a decent situation in only the top 5% of wealthy districts. For the remainder, we have made teaching a profession that smart dynamic people would not want to do, so they go into other professions.

I doubt seriously if any of us here could last a month in a teaching job without quitting or getting fired for smacking a smart aleck student.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

HI! ;)

I actually did that on purpose....was going to call it an Al Jazeera. :p

• Options
    I have a brother-in-law who was an incredible high school teacher. Took the kids on overnight trips, took them white water rafting........he loved his work and put everything into it.

Then the red tape got to be too much....too many directives, quotas, and paperwork....decided to take full retirement at age 54.

And the kids he taught were good ones....imagine facing punks with knives and guns every day!