Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,006
    venture said:

The insurance finally decided my Legacy is totaled. Took them a week. It took you guys about a minute after seeing the pictures.

I'll probably pick up the new one tomorrow. The new one - exactly like the old one.

I'm girding my loins for the fight with the F&I guy who doesn't do any "F" and does not even call your insurance agent anymore, so they don't do any "I" either. :#

We knew my car was a write off, the tow truck guy knew my car was a write off....but it took almost 2 weeks for the insurance company to declare it....they take their time, it is part of their strategy to wear you out so you won't fight back.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,916
    driver100 said:

venture said:

The insurance finally decided my Legacy is totaled. Took them a week. It took you guys about a minute after seeing the pictures.

I'll probably pick up the new one tomorrow. The new one - exactly like the old one.

I'm girding my loins for the fight with the F&I guy who doesn't do any "F" and does not even call your insurance agent anymore, so they don't do any "I" either. :#

We knew my car was a write off, the tow truck guy knew my car was a write off....but it took almost 2 weeks for the insurance company to declare it....they take their time, it is part of their strategy to wear you out so you won't fight back.
    Actually, there was no fighting.

I have a rental Outback they are paying for so they could have taken as long as they wanted. I used the Outback to go to Maryland over the weekend to watch the grandsons play baseball.

I had forgotten what a mangled mess 4 and 6 year-old baseball is. :)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,750
    stickguy said:

well, if he doesn't already, he certainly can now.

Not much to look at but it’s functional and it makes both my wife and jmonroe happy:

What I had to work with.

I spoke with the inspectors and they approved.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,480
    edited April 30
    venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

I have a rental Outback they are paying for so they could have taken as long as they wanted. I used the Outback to go to Maryland over the weekend to watch the grandsons play baseball.

Glad you got things resolved with your wrecked Legacy. Did the insurance company give you what you wanted for the car? Do you have to come out of pocket for the new one?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

Glad you got things resolved with your wrecked Legacy. Did the insurance company give you what you wanted for the car? Do you have to come out of pocket for the new one?
    They use different adjusters when it's a total. I don't think one has been assigned yet.

I'm just going to write a check and argue about the wrecks value later. I had another total years ago and they were fair. I don't expect any trouble. :*

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,480
    venture said:

nyccarguy said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

They use different adjusters when it's a total. I don't think one has been assigned yet.

I'm just going to write a check and argue about the wrecks value later. I had another total years ago and they were fair. I don't expect any trouble. :*
    Make sure you get proper credit for a punch!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,399
    edited April 30
    Hopefully this doesn't push oldfarmer50 over the edge.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdHGh2524U
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,699

I knew it was bad. But not that bad.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,646
    venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

————————————————
    Neither of my sons or grandsons played at that age but when Son #1 was 8, I was a co-manger of his little league team. Just dying to get them to concentrate on the game was a real chore. Especially the outfielders who couldn’t stop watching butterflies.

But, that wasn’t nearly as torturous as going to a few dance recitals when my granddaughter was 6,7 and 8. That required true love. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

stickguy said:

well, if he doesn't already, he certainly can now.

Not much to look at but it’s functional and it makes both my wife and jmonroe happy:

What I had to work with.

————————————————
    Yikes, I wouldn’t even trust myself to look at that thing for very long, let alone walk on it. You must have nerves of steel. :p

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdHGh2524U

I’ve seen that report before. I’m not sure any of my cars are new enough to transmit that kind of data and I certainly don’t have any interface between my cars and my phone. I had to chuckle at the warning to not download your car’s app to your phone. Even if my phone could download apps, I wouldn’t know how to do it.😩

I’ve never registered any of my cars on any manufacturer’s web site so they probably don’t even know I own the cars. I better not catch them peeking in my bedroom window to ascertain my orientation.🤬

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    “Yikes, I wouldn’t even trust myself to look at that thing for very long, let alone walk on it. You must have nerves of steel. :p

jmonroe

Sorry it’s not up to your high standards. I’d like to see how well your house flips would come out if you had to use tree trunks and scrap wood.

You don’t have to walk on it, you can drive:

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,345

@oldfarmer50 said:

What I had to work with.

Wow I hope no one smokes near that.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

“Yikes, I wouldn’t even trust myself to look at that thing for very long, let alone walk on it. You must have nerves of steel. :p

jmonroe

Sorry it’s not up to your high standards. I’d like to see how well your house flips would come out if you had to use tree trunks and scrap wood.

————————————————-
    Oh, the powers of photoshopping. B)

jmonroe
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,149

Well, I don't think he takes his landline into the car with him, so he's safe.

I think your smartphone probably collects a lot of the same info as they said the car does - I know most have accelerometers,for instance - so unless you leave that at home you're still being watched. But that kind of defeats the purpose of them.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:

What I had to work with.

Wow I hope no one smokes near that.

I was thinking the same thing. Those are Phragmites, an invasive wetland plant that can be a fire hazard this time of year.

• Options
    edited April 30

jmonroe

That reminds me of this clip from "Murder by Death".

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxFc-A1u16ehpP48qZqWJSIQYCMJxbYAgl?si=FgjcxonxMiyW1eZA

• Options

jmonroe

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxFc-A1u16ehpP48qZqWJSIQYCMJxbYAgl?si=FgjcxonxMiyW1eZA
    Now you tell me, I should have had jmonroe drive over it first. 🤣

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,175
    Subaru?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/car-owners-suing-subaru-saying-224721378.html

This story was on the morning news here. Looks like a lot of ol cases too.

Too bad it's not GM: it would be all over the news if it had been a GM vehicle.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

jmonroe

Now you tell me, I should have had jmonroe drive over it first. 🤣
    ————————————————-
    Ah, NO. I’m not even going to look at that contraption again. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,006
    edited May 1

I was going to add a clip but can't with the tremendously loud Cicadas that have invaded our area. Who else has experienced these? They are kind of creepy.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    sda said:

I was going to add a clip but can't with the tremendously loud Cicadas that have invaded our area. Who else has experience these? They are kind of creepy.

Don’t worry, they’ll soon be gone for another 20 years.

• Options
    sda said:

I was going to add a clip but can't with the tremendously loud Cicadas that have invaded our area. Who else has experienced these? They are kind of creepy.

————————————————-
    Make some soup.

jmonroe
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,996

@imidazol97 said:
    Subaru?

“We’d been married 58 years. It’s okay. She could have died,” her husband, Duane said.

Hmmm… given the context, I’m fairly certain they have mispunctuated his statement. I believe it should be:

“We’d been married 58 years. It’s okay she could have died,” her husband, Duane said.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

@imidazol97 said:

Subaru?

“We’d been married 58 years. It’s okay. She could have died,” her husband, Duane said.

Hmmm… given the context, I’m fairly certain they have mispunctuated his statement. I believe it should be:

“We’d been married 58 years. It’s okay she could have died,” her husband, Duane said.

————————————————-
    I don’t understand why he would say it was “OK”, regardless of how it’s punctuated.

Could run in the family, like not knowing the accelerator from the brakes.

jmonroe
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,006
    venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

I wanted to know that my car would be a write-off as soon as possible, it didn't seem that they would be able to put it together again very well...so I wanted to know one way or the other.

My car was insured for total replacement value...I get a new car with every option the wrecked car had. They tried to pass off cars with fewer options, and they wouldn't get back to me. Insurance companies try to stonewall you until you give up......but if yours is good and you are pleased that is a big bonus.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,477
    Not sure if this topic has been brought up here before, but we're experiencing issues with the WiFi in our home....

Backstory - we've been in the house 6 years this month. When we moved in, we had Comcast set up our cable, phone and internet systems. The modem/router was placed in my office, at one end of the house (single story, about 1700sf). We added a couple of new Nest cameras to the two that already existed, and we have the usual assortment of laptops, tablets, printers and smart phones that connect to the network. Swapped the modem out for a newer (faster, better) model a year or so ago. No problems, by and large, until....

....we bought a new "smart" TV for the living room. Admittedly, we aren't using the smart functions as much - yes, we have Prime, and Netflix and other streaming services, but we did with the old TV - all managed through the Xfinity front end.

But, the camera we have on our rear patio now refuses to stay connected, and the WiFi will drop much more frequently - every couple/three days, on average.

I went to the Comcast store, and they asked me to swap out the modem for a new one - same make and model, so far as I can tell, but I did use the provided coax cable to connect to the wall. No luck.

I ran some self diagnostics from the Comcast website, and of course everything comes up green - strong signal, everything is connected, etc.

Requested a tech come out, and his one and only suggestion was to relocate the modem from my office to the living room, a more central location in the house.

Because I'm writing this post almost two weeks later, you can tell that that didn't help the situation either. I've got the same tech coming out on Sunday morning, but I'm not optimistic that he will be able to solve the problem. I feel like he's the mechanic that throws parts at a car to solve a problem, without really diagnosing what the underlying cause is.

So, since I know there are some tech-savvy folks on this board, I'm reaching out for any suggestions, or advice. I know we can get the "extenders", but I don't feel our house is big enough to warrant them. What other tests can I run to try and determine what the root cause of these issues are?

We've talked about moving to a new provider, but that too has its risks.

What say you, Edmunds members?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

OK first thing is I'm OK, or I should be. Second thing is I was hit by a car today while walking on the sidewalk, actually just stepped into the cross walk. All I can say is ow. Guy ran over my foot and pushed me down quite hard. Paramedics looked me over but going to my doctors soon. I am having some back foot and shoulder pains. I really dont think I hit my head. More later.

• Options

OK first thing is I'm OK, or I should be. Second thing is I was hit by a car today while walking on the sidewalk, actually just stepped into the cross walk. All I can say is ow. Guy ran over my foot and pushed me down quite hard. Paramedics looked me over but going to my doctors soon. I am having some back foot and shoulder pains. I really dont think I hit my head. More later.

Yikes! Glad you seem to be ok - for now.

Keep us posted.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    @snakeweasel, that’s a close one. Hope your foot and shoulder just shows some bruising that heals quickly.

Let us know what the doctor says.

jmonroe
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,416
    @snakeweasel I hope all is well. At least it was a car and not a road grader- that REALLY hurts.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    @Michaell, have you disconnected the new TV. If things return to normal, you’ve found your culprit. If it turns out it’s the TV, there might be a setting you have to change.

jmonroe
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

@Michaell, have you disconnected the new TV. If things return to normal, you’ve found your culprit. If it turns out it’s the TV, there might be a setting you have to change.

jmonroe

If the TV wasn't used so much, I could test that out. But, good point and something to consider.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    @snakeweasel
    Hope everything is okay. Running over your foot? Ouch.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,149
    @Michaell , this is just a wild guess, but when I read about the wifi and connectivity issues you were having, I wondered about frequency conflicts among the devices and whether there may be something going on with a mix of 2.4 and 5 GHz devices fouling each other up. I’ve never experienced the channel problems you sometimes hear about with wifi devices but this almost sounds like that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@imidazol97 said:
    @snakeweasel

Well back from the doctors and they said that there is nothing broken just muscle and soft tissue bruising. Said I'll get more pain over the next day or two before it starts getting better. So much for my plans this weekend.

And thanks for the concerns.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,399
    @snakeweasel,
    Good thing you were wearing those steel toed sh*tkickers with your 3 piece suit. :)
    Glad you are able to tell us about it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Michael, we had a similar problem at our old house. Multiple attempts by Comcast to resolve it, never happened. My guess is a wire issue inside the house. Our issue was the internet would glitch a lot during the day. Usually not out for long, but sometimes I would have to reboot modem. I had the built in modem and a stand alone, and they behaved the same so it was something modem back. All their tests came out OK, swapped modems a couple of times, no change.

Your issue sounds equipment related, the TV being a good suspect. swapping that sounds like a good next step. Though it is possible it finally put you over network capacity?

• Options
    @Michaell,
    The fiber internet provider in our area wants to do a mesh in most houses to give good connections throughout the home. They use multiple routers, Eero is the name. They charge $5 per month extra. They call it a mesh. Our router is in the middle of the house and things work well on both sides of our one router.

Metronet is the name of the small provider in several cities in this region.

• Options
    I plan to get a mesh system for the new house. Will just buy one. 3 cubes (or maybe 4) should be plenty.

• Options
    had to be the guy today. Being in the under contract window you just hope that nothing major breaks before you close (last house, it was our AC unit. that was "fun"). Today's issue, noticed one of the 2 lights under our microwave/hood was out. I had bought bulbs not long ago when the other one was out, though that turned out to just be loose so fixed with no parts required.

this one did not want to do that. But what it did do, was snap off the base (old school light bulb), leaving the stump in the socket. not much fun, since it was a small bulb up in a little compartment that you couldn't see. No room to stick a potato in there! But turns out, a wad of poster stick-up clay worked just fine so was able to get the broken part spun out. and now have 2 working lights again.

• Options
    I am going to take a wild guess that Bradd did not have a fun commute home today.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,846
    I have the Google mesh system. We changed internet providers about six years ago, and because of finished spaces the modem had to be moved from a central location to one end of the house. Gave me some spotty coverage.

The mesh system was easy to set up, and it did the trick. We only have three units, but if you have larger spaces, you could always go to four.

Also, I have 1 Gig internet, so that helps. Another six devices and we'd still be okay.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks to all for your feedback. The tech did suggest the Eero mesh extenders (surprisingly, he told me to specifically avoid the Comcast/Xfinity branded ones). Even with a small-ish house, I could probably put one in my office and another in the dining room to help with coverage.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,996

@snakeweasel said:

@imidazol97 said:
    @snakeweasel

Well back from the doctors and they said that there is nothing broken just muscle and soft tissue bruising. Said I'll get more pain over the next day or two before it starts getting better. So much for my plans this weekend.

And thanks for the concerns.

What kind of car?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    hopefully he remembered to put it in, but during our electric walkthrough, I asked for an ethernet extension to be run from the office downstairs (where we had the cable jack put) to the bedroom directly above it, where I plan to put my desk as the 2nd office (wife can have the big downstairs one). That way we can both plug in hardwire to the modem for our work laptops. Much nicer than wifi.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    edited May 2
    @snakeweasel, glad to hear you are okay and not experiencing too much pain. Hope you got important information from the driver….geez.
  • Options
    Michaell said:

Not sure if this topic has been brought up here before, but we're experiencing issues with the WiFi in our home....

Backstory - we've been in the house 6 years this month. When we moved in, we had Comcast set up our cable, phone and internet systems. The modem/router was placed in my office, at one end of the house (single story, about 1700sf). We added a couple of new Nest cameras to the two that already existed, and we have the usual assortment of laptops, tablets, printers and smart phones that connect to the network. Swapped the modem out for a newer (faster, better) model a year or so ago. No problems, by and large, until....

....we bought a new "smart" TV for the living room. Admittedly, we aren't using the smart functions as much - yes, we have Prime, and Netflix and other streaming services, but we did with the old TV - all managed through the Xfinity front end.

But, the camera we have on our rear patio now refuses to stay connected, and the WiFi will drop much more frequently - every couple/three days, on average.

I went to the Comcast store, and they asked me to swap out the modem for a new one - same make and model, so far as I can tell, but I did use the provided coax cable to connect to the wall. No luck.

I ran some self diagnostics from the Comcast website, and of course everything comes up green - strong signal, everything is connected, etc.

Requested a tech come out, and his one and only suggestion was to relocate the modem from my office to the living room, a more central location in the house.

Because I'm writing this post almost two weeks later, you can tell that that didn't help the situation either. I've got the same tech coming out on Sunday morning, but I'm not optimistic that he will be able to solve the problem. I feel like he's the mechanic that throws parts at a car to solve a problem, without really diagnosing what the underlying cause is.

So, since I know there are some tech-savvy folks on this board, I'm reaching out for any suggestions, or advice. I know we can get the "extenders", but I don't feel our house is big enough to warrant them. What other tests can I run to try and determine what the root cause of these issues are?

We've talked about moving to a new provider, but that too has its risks.

What say you, Edmunds members?

OK, I know nothing about modern tech so this is a shot in the dark. How about installing some signal boosters?

Our WiFi modem is in the basement where the cable comes in and for most devices we have no problem. But my son’s computer/gaming system wasn’t getting what it needed at the far end of the house. I suggested a signal booster but he went with running a direct cable from the modem to his system. That worked but it’s somewhat sloppy with wires running through the house.

• Options

Owwww! That’s no good. Hope you recover fast.

• Options
    The insurance company called and said they would email the offer for the totaled Subaru - which they did.

The offer is fair, but I noticed they reduced it by my deductible. Is that something I will get back when my company settles with the company of the guy who hit me? It doesn't seem right that I should pay a deductible for something that wasn't my fault.

Also - After reading their Valuation Summary, there is nothing in there for sales tax, doc fee, etc. for the new car. Is that because normally a person hasn't bought anything yet or is that just not done? It should be!

I emailed these questions to the adjuster, but also mentioned if it pushes their Valuation past the estimate to repair (it would be close) then forget I asked. She seemed nice on the phone. I didn't call because they never answer their phone.