Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,336
    xwesx said:

Yeah, Kodiak is way farther south - about 58 degrees north versus 65 degrees north here. Much of southern Alaska also benefits (in the winter, at least) from the maritime climate to moderate temperatures.

The "twilight" no-sun zone is above the arctic circle, which is 66 degrees north. Even there, the sun still skitters across the southern sky, so there is light, it just isn't considered "daylight" because you don't get a full sun in the sky. On the northern coast, like in Prudhoe Bay (70 degrees) and Utqiagvik (71 degrees), there's a period of no light (even minor twilight) around the winter solstice.

Alaska's a big place. Southermost point is at about 51 degrees north, northernmost is 71 degrees. Westernmost longitude is 172.5; easternmost.... 130.

Comparatively, the entire contiguous states are: north: 49, south: 24.5; west: 124.5, east: 67.

Ocean currents keep the southern coast warmer, I do like telling people the warmest winters I ever experienced were in Alaska. They tend not to believe me.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,981
    dino001 said:

So the car is fixed. Two new wheels plus alignment and balancing, no further damage. $1160. Insurance covered less than $500, I paid $500 deductible plus $160 for difference between new wheel and remanufacturing. Insurance people - they’d pay for the extra time on rental car, wheel shipping back and forth, but they won’t get new wheels. I didn’t want to argue, just paid and moved on. At least had a free 430 loaner, so didn’t skip a beat. It was a two-door, so I had to watch the opening doors as they are much longer. Other than that, it was like mine, almost to the tee. Important thing it’s over. Will see if they raise my rate. I have a small claim “forgivness”, total paid may just be below the threshold.

I don't think they should raie your rate.....it wasn't like you were at fault. When I got hit by the garbage truck....the cops and insurance said that wouldn't affect my rates.
    Glad it is over for you....it makes you sick when your beautiful driving car doesn't work properly, you feel like they will never make it right again.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

xwesx said:

Imid, the parking lot is set up like this:

Each of the posts are electric outlets at the top, so we can plug in as needed.

Back in the last millennium (or perhaps it was the last geologic era?), when I was a young man and such things as drive-in movies existed -- I remember, on a trip to the frozen northern wastelands, observing that there were electrical outlets on all of the posts in the drive-in movie. When I enquired, I was told the drive-in movie theater would rent you an electric heater to use in your car during the fall and spring. During the winter, of course, they were closed.

Back in the late 50's when I was in high school, I went to more than my fair share of drive-ins in all types of weather and I was never cold. I guess it has a lot to do with the girls you go with. B)

jmonroe
    So, you were a user :p
    No, I'd say it was the other way around. The girls used me to pay their way into the drive-in and on top of that, they could say they went out with a very young looking Dean Martin. I was constantly being taken advantage of in my younger days. Today, I'm taken for granted and taken advantage of but not in a good way. Yeah, things were more pleasant when I had my youth.

jmonroe
    So, you are always the victim. Poor jm.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,590
    dino001 said:

So the car is fixed. Two new wheels plus alignment and balancing, no further damage. $1160. Insurance covered less than $500, I paid $500 deductible plus $160 for difference between new wheel and remanufacturing. Insurance people - they’d pay for the extra time on rental car, wheel shipping back and forth, but they won’t get new wheels. I didn’t want to argue, just paid and moved on. At least had a free 430 loaner, so didn’t skip a beat. It was a two-door, so I had to watch the opening doors as they are much longer. Other than that, it was like mine, almost to the tee. Important thing it’s over. Will see if they raise my rate. I have a small claim “forgivness”, total paid may just be below the threshold.

For a minute last night I thought I would be joining you with a tale about a ruined tire and rim. We were driving home from dinner in the rain and as careful as I was trying to drive, I hit the only pot hole on the main road of the small town I was driving through. My biggest fear is hitting a pot hole filled with water and that's exactly what I did. I thought for sure the left front tire and rim on Mrs. j's Subie were goners but they weren't. I'm going to pull the wheel tomorrow and give it a good inspection. Then I will know for sure, I think.

There otta be a law against filling pot holes with water while driving at night in the rain. :@ :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    xwesx said:

Fairbanks is a couple hundred miles south of the arctic circle. You have to be north of the arctic circle before the sun goes down and stays in the winter for some number of days. Visiting the high north in June is an interesting thing that I've done a couple of times -- haven't been up there in the winter yet, but Edmonton provided me a pretty good analog.

Edmonton might have felt a little harsher, to tell the truth. We don't get wind here like they do on the plains. Wind chill is a wicked, wicked thing. :)
    You should be in Chicago on a cold winter day when a strong wind comes across the lake and gets funneled between the buildings. When that happens it gets strong and it's cold and damp. Come around a corner of a building and hit that type of wind and it will knock you on your @ss as well as freeze you to the bone.

• Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

xwesx said:

Imid, the parking lot is set up like this:

Each of the posts are electric outlets at the top, so we can plug in as needed.

Back in the last millennium (or perhaps it was the last geologic era?), when I was a young man and such things as drive-in movies existed -- I remember, on a trip to the frozen northern wastelands, observing that there were electrical outlets on all of the posts in the drive-in movie. When I enquired, I was told the drive-in movie theater would rent you an electric heater to use in your car during the fall and spring. During the winter, of course, they were closed.

Back in the late 50's when I was in high school, I went to more than my fair share of drive-ins in all types of weather and I was never cold. I guess it has a lot to do with the girls you go with. B)

jmonroe
    So, you were a user :p
    No, I'd say it was the other way around. The girls used me to pay their way into the drive-in and on top of that, they could say they went out with a very young looking Dean Martin. I was constantly being taken advantage of in my younger days. Today, I'm taken for granted and taken advantage of but not in a good way. Yeah, things were more pleasant when I had my youth.

jmonroe
    So, you are always the victim. Poor jm.
    Don't laugh, it's not as easy as it sounds. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

dino001 said:

For a minute last night I thought I would be joining you with a tale about a ruined tire and rim. We were driving home from dinner in the rain and as careful as I was trying to drive, I hit the only pot hole on the main road of the small town I was driving through. My biggest fear is hitting a pot hole filled with water and that's exactly what I did. I thought for sure the left front tire and rim on Mrs. j's Subie were goners but they weren't. I'm going to pull the wheel tomorrow and give it a good inspection. Then I will know for sure, I think.

There otta be a law against filling pot holes with water while driving at night in the rain. :@ :@

jmonroe
    Pot holes aren't fair. The city should pay for damage caused by a pot hole. We pay for roads, there is no excuse for a huge pothole. There should be a 1-800 pothole number in every municipality, it should get reported and fixed immediately.
    A few years ago I hit a huge one the workmen left a few blocks from my home. I took a picture and sent it to my city councilor. She had a crew out there that evening and she sent me copies of her correspondence with the city crew. I told her I was impressed with her work and told her I would definitely vote for her in the next election and I did. Who cares about education or budgets, just fix the potholes!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,676
    I'm sad to report that we had to put Lily down today. She just wasn't responding to the treatments we'd been giving her for the past few weeks, and her quality of life was decreasing.

It was a hard, but necessary, decision. We will miss her dearly, but will always have good memories of her.

One last pic, with her little sister Daisy:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,593

xwesx said:

Fairbanks is a couple hundred miles south of the arctic circle. You have to be north of the arctic circle before the sun goes down and stays in the winter for some number of days. Visiting the high north in June is an interesting thing that I've done a couple of times -- haven't been up there in the winter yet, but Edmonton provided me a pretty good analog.

Edmonton might have felt a little harsher, to tell the truth. We don't get wind here like they do on the plains. Wind chill is a wicked, wicked thing. :)
    You should be in Chicago on a cold winter day when a strong wind comes across the lake and gets funneled between the buildings. When that happens it gets strong and it's cold and damp. Come around a corner of a building and hit that type of wind and it will knock you on your @ss as well as freeze you to the bone.
    years ago I had a client in Chicago, and went for a meeting in February. I recall coming out onto the street with just the shell of a trench coat over a suit (I think I forgot to put the zip out lining back in) and the wind went through like a knife. I have never been that cold in my life.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    Michael, sorry to hear. The hard part of loving a pet.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Sorrowful stuff. Best wishes....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,378
    jmonroe1 said:

In other news, I was sworn in today and start work tomorrow. A couple of my co-workers and I checked out our office for the first time today; it's not a complete disaster, but it's darn close- It will take a while just to get things on an even keel. Oh well, I expected nothing less. Tomorrow we have over 60 cases in the morning and 30 in the afternoon; I think it's called the total immersion method...

Here come da judge.

Good luck and if it is legal let us know about some of the more interesting cases. Just a word of caution about doing this; @driver100 will compare your rulings with how Judge Judy might have handled those cases. Let the fun begin.

Also, if by chance @andres3 happens to appear before you, let us know if any of those cheap get-me-out-of-a-ticket lawyers he's been hiring lately are worth their salt.

Again, good luck.

jmonroe
    Thanks for the kind words, but I hung up my robe; I'm now the Commonwealth's Attorney(Felony Prosecutor) for my county. It's crazy right now but it's fun.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    I'm very sorry Michael.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,109
    My condolences Michaell. In a word, it sucks to have to do that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Michael I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved pet dog. :'(
  • Options
    @Michaell, you have my condolences. That is certainly not what we wanted to hear but it is probably the the best thing you could have done for Lilly.

jmonroe
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,400
    So sorry, @michaell
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,895
    Poor Lily. That makes me sad. You did the right thing though.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    @Michaell
    My condolences. Very sad.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    @Michaell
    Sorry for the loss of Lily.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Michaell said:

I'm sad to report that we had to put Lily down today. She just wasn't responding to the treatments we'd been giving her for the past few weeks, and her quality of life was decreasing.

It was a hard, but necessary, decision. We will miss her dearly, but will always have good memories of her.

So sorry to hear this Michaell. I know how painful that is for you...it has been 4 weeks since we lost Gigi.
    Lily had a great and loving life and you made it possible for her. You can't do more than that. Putting Lily down was the kindest thing you could do.

• Options
    The Top 10 vehicles that were stolen in Canada last year:

2007 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
    2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
    2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
    2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
    2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
    2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
    2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
    2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
    2015 Lexus GX460 AWD SUV
    2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup

Thieves seem to favor the 350s over the 250s, they get very particular.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ab348 said:

Crazy car carnage at a Carmax in Houston. Teenage vandals destroyed a bunch of nice cars after breaking in, getting the keys, and having a demo derby on the lot:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/01/juveniles-cause-800000-in-damage-with-dealership-demo-derby/

Fortunately, they didn't think to keep a fast one intact for their escape and all were arrested. $800K in damage!

Well...we know where the first 10-20 years of their career’s salaries will be going!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @Michaell.....so very sorry to hear about Lilly! Condolences.

Going to a funeral today for one of my colleague’s son. 30 years old.....opioid overdose. Good family, who thought he had “kicked” the addiction for a couple of years. The one time his addiction came back to haunt him, and he OD’d.....DEVASTATING!

I’ve been around for a while and I’ve never seen this problem as bas as it has been the last couple of years. This is the 2nd time that a family who is close to me lost a loved one to opioids.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @Michaell

My sincere condolences Michael.  Many of us here know what it’s like to lose a beloved pet which is why we can not only sympathize as well as empathize with this awful experience. Best wishes from my heart.  :'(

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    jmonroe1 said:

@Michaell, you have my condolences. That is certainly not what we wanted to hear but it is probably the the best thing you could have done for Lilly.

jmonroe

My sentiments also. Young Daisy looks like a winner.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @Michaell.....so very sorry to hear about Lilly! Condolences. Going to a funeral today for one of my colleague’s son. 30 years old.....opioid overdose. Good family, who thought he had “kicked” the addiction for a couple of years. The one time his addiction came back to haunt him, and he OD’d.....DEVASTATING! I’ve been around for a while and I’ve never seen this problem as bas as it has been the last couple of years. This is the 2nd time that a family who is close to me lost a loved one to opioids.
    Losing a child so young is heartbreaking as I have been in that position.  Yes, this opioid onslaught is devastating.  We have to stop this massacre of our young people.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Michaell said:
    I'm sad to report that we had to put Lily down today. She just wasn't responding to the treatments we'd been giving her for the past few weeks, and her quality of life was decreasing. It was a hard, but necessary, decision. We will miss her dearly, but will always have good memories of her. One last pic, with her little sister Daisy:
    Sorry about your loss.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

So sorry to hear this Michaell. I know how painful that is for you...it has been 4 weeks since we lost Gigi.
    Lily had a great and loving life and you made it possible for her. You can't do more than that. Putting Lily down was the kindest thing you could do.

So sorry for your loss, Michaell. As others have said, you did the right thing, but it is very tough.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,187
    Sorry for the loss Michaell, but you know you did the right thing. May her spirit live on in Daisy.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited January 2019

Going to a funeral today for one of my colleague’s son. 30 years old.....opioid overdose. Good family, who thought he had “kicked” the addiction for a couple of years. The one time his addiction came back to haunt him, and he OD’d.....DEVASTATING!

I’ve been around for a while and I’ve never seen this problem as bas as it has been the last couple of years. This is the 2nd time that a family who is close to me lost a loved one to opioids.

What is it about opiods that is so addictive? And why are physicians prescribing and pharmacies still selling these drugs. Obviously it's all about money and big pharma but much blame lies with local governments and civic groups to aggressively address the problem. Simply just talking about it will not cut it.

I recently watched a TV program where an attorney was in the process of filing a class action lawsuit against big pharma. He is the same lawyer who sued the tobacco companies, and won. While that is a start in the right direction there should be earlier intervention to help those who are hopelessly hooked and crying for help.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    There is an absolute use case for Opioid pain killers in cases of true medical need, but I think there are a number things in play here that have led us to where we are today.

(1) A fundamental misunderstanding as to when a narcotic pain killer is truly necessary to alleviate pain vs. when using them is the equivalent of bringing a bazooka to fist fight. Combined with a strong push by big pharma to prescribe them, the risk was considerably increased.

(2) A fundamental misunderstanding for a long time as to just what these pain killers did to the brain and how addictive it made them. I think there is a large subset of people who needed to be told "I'm sorry that X is hurting, but it is going to be painful for a while as there is nothing safe we can prescribe you to make the pain go away."

(3) No follow-up and accountability with patients that have been prescribed painkillers - there is very little to no direct counseling (at least there never has been for me) and no path for referral when a patient starts showing signs of addiction.

(4) Truly poor and impractical drug awareness education both for children and adults. The common line was "don't do drugs" and the "this is your brain on drugs" ads which doesn't really to get to the root of what differentiates the different types of drugs (pain killers, hard drugs etc.) and what they can do to you in terms of addiction. I was never taught what addiction truly was and what it meant in school - I learned from my parents who filled that gap for me - many people don't get the luxury that I did.

• Options
    Getting back to cars, Subaru has announced a recall, as noted by our local intepid consumer reporter:

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,895

There is an absolute use case for Opioid pain killers in cases of true medical need, but I think there are a number things in play here that have led us to where we are today.

(1) A fundamental misunderstanding as to when a narcotic pain killer is truly necessary to alleviate pain vs. when using them is the equivalent of bringing a bazooka to fist fight. Combined with a strong push by big pharma to prescribe them, the risk was considerably increased.

(2) A fundamental misunderstanding for a long time as to just what these pain killers did to the brain and how addictive it made them. I think there is a large subset of people who needed to be told "I'm sorry that X is hurting, but it is going to be painful for a while as there is nothing safe we can prescribe you to make the pain go away."

(3) No follow-up and accountability with patients that have been prescribed painkillers - there is very little to no direct counseling (at least there never has been for me) and no path for referral when a patient starts showing signs of addiction.

(4) Truly poor and impractical drug awareness education both for children and adults. The common line was "don't do drugs" and the "this is your brain on drugs" ads which doesn't really to get to the root of what differentiates the different types of drugs (pain killers, hard drugs etc.) and what they can do to you in terms of addiction. I was never taught what addiction truly was and what it meant in school - I learned from my parents who filled that gap for me - many people don't get the luxury that I did.

After open hernia surgery and then gall bladder removal a few months later (It was a bad year) I was given opioids for pain control. I took none after the gall bladder removal and 2 after the hernia surgery. I only took the 2 as a preventative measure, but probably didn't need them. The doctors hand them out like they are getting paid to do it.

There was no counseling at all. No questions later about them.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    Some Doctor's do and some don't. Have a number of Physicians in my family in primary care and other non-surgical specialties who have made the decision to never write for narcotics now. The one clear exception being the docs I know that are in hospice care who only write for hospice patients when appropriate.

The surgical side of things I can't speak to - I've had many issues, but surgery hasn't been required yet.
  • Options
    I'm a mean guy and I don't feel bad about it one bit. Finally, the cops nab a road hazard. Here's the story:

After I left Lowes this morning I drive through an adjoining lot to get to where I want to make a right turn (not at a light) that is about 150 feet from the second busiest intersection in PA. (the most busy is in the Philly area so I have been told) . Anyway, the road I am turning onto is two lanes going in my direction and in the opposite direction it is 4 lanes. One left turn only lane, two lanes for going straight and one lane taking you to a turn off so you can make a right turn after yielding to traffic coming from your left at the light.

I no sooner make the right turn and I'm in the far right lane, when an SUV jumps out of the left lane going in my direction and into my lane (yes, he is going in the wrong direction). Fortunately we both stopped before hitting each other and the guy in the SUV jumps out of his car and is screaming for me to back up so he can make a left turn into the lot I just pulled out of, he was probably going to Lowes too or the bank in that lot. I told him I was in my lane and he'd have to get back into his lane because I wasn't going to backup. He said he couldn't because traffic was backing up to make the left turn in the lane he should have still been in. He no sooner starts threatening me when along comes the local police with his siren on and his lights flashing and the cop is now stopped in the left lane going in my direction but he is also on the wrong side of the road thereby blocking all traffic going in my direction. As best as I could tell, the cop car was about 7 or 8 cars back in the far left turn lane on the opposite side of the road. The cop jumps out of his car, comes running up to us, and says to me, "did he hit you"? I told him, "no, we both stopped before that happened". The cop now tells the guy to back up so that I could get by and to wait in his car until he clears traffic so the guy can make the left turn into the lot he was aiming for to begin with. The cop also said in no uncertain terms, "AND YOU BETTER WAIT FOR ME TO PULL INTO THAT LOT AFTER I CLEAR THIS TRAFFIC". As the guy was heading back to his SUV, I asked the cop if he needed me to stick around for anything and he said in a not so nice tone, "NO, I JUST WANT THAT GUY". Then he politely said, "have a nice day".

After I got back in my car and was on my way, I had a thought that if I had backed up like the SUV guy wanted me to do, even if I wouldn't have backed into anybody that could have now been coming from behind me, the cop could have sited me for backing up on a highway. Anyway, it's nice to know that a cop was finally nearby to get a reckless idiot for once. I wouldn't want to see the size of that ticket or the points he is likely to get.

jmonroe
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,809
    People.... /sigh

xwesx said:

Pass! Thanks for the offer, though! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Opioid addicted individuals and trafficking comprise a very large percentage of our drug cases. 

• Options
    28firefighter
    There is an absolute use case for Opioid pain killers in cases of true medical need, but I think there are a number things in play here that have led us to where we are today

Thanks ff for the summary of how this has become an epidemic. I appreciate the information, the better informed....the less chance of it becoming a problem. I also get the feeling, a lot of people complain to their doctors and they demand relief, this is the easy way for doctors to get rid of a complainer.

• Options
    jmonroe1
    I'm a mean guy and I don't feel bad about it one bit. Finally, the cops nab a road hazard. Here's the story

I see so many infractions every day and I see very few police cars. I think the time has come to deputize mini police.......they have dash cams and there would be big fines for breaking any laws caught on a dash cam. 10 infractions a day at $300 each = $3000 a day, a whole new source of income.

• Options
    ab348 said:

Getting back to cars, Subaru has announced a recall, as noted by our local intepid consumer reporter:

I don't get it when they tell you that you could be in a serious accident but we don't have a cure for the problem. And, I ask myself "Self, if they have the ability to build a car why don't they have the ability to fix a problem that the car may have?"

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,809

@Michaell.....so very sorry to hear about Lilly! Condolences.

No real surprise about the epidemic given the addictiveness of opioids and the true epidemic: Medical prescriptions! Prescription of opioid pain killers has absolutely ballooned in the last twenty years.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Opioids are also coming in illegally from offshore in large volumes. China is a big player. People do not seem to feel the same stigma associated with use of hard drugs that once prevailed. 

• Options
    driver100 said:

I don't get it when they tell you that you could be in a serious accident but we don't have a cure for the problem. And, I ask myself "Self, if they have the ability to build a car why don't they have the ability to fix a problem that the car may have?"

Audi has been telling me my A4 could burn my house down for over a year, and they still don't have a fix. First they said they could fix it with software, and then, "never mind...that didn't work". Now they've disconnected the water pump that could ignite and burn the car to the ground inside my garage while it's not running. Awesome. They've said for months and months that new parts will be available but so far nothing has been released. Audi's most recent solution was literally to disconnect the pump from the electrical system and tell me not to park it in my garage. Great. Nice job, Audi.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

I'm sure Subaru has a fix but its going to be costly. Unless they build cars differently today, the only way I know of to replace valve springs, is to yank the head/s off the engine. The saving grace is that for 4 cylinder engines and for some 6 cylinder engines you only have to pull one head. For any V type engines you have to do it twice. In any case there is going to be a line forming to get into the service bays.

jmonroe
  • Options
    Michael, I'm really sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had so many good years together but I also know it's a really tough time. Take care.
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

I'm sure Subaru has a fix but its going to be costly. Unless they build cars differently today, the only way I know of to replace valve springs, is to yank the head/s off the engine. The saving grace is that for 4 cylinder engines and for some 6 cylinder engines you only have to pull one head. For any V type engines you have to do it twice. In any case there is going to be a line forming to get into the service bays.

jmonroe
    Subaru engines are flat boxers with 2 banks of 2 or 3 cylinders, and they face outwards pointing towards the fenders. It'll be a big job.
  • Options
    How does the Audi function with no water pump?

And if they told me to park outside I would tell them to buy the car back.

• Options
    coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    tyguy said:

driver100 said:

Audi has been telling me my A4 could burn my house down for over a year, and they still don't have a fix. First they said they could fix it with software, and then, "never mind...that didn't work". Now they've disconnected the water pump that could ignite and burn the car to the ground inside my garage while it's not running. Awesome. They've said for months and months that new parts will be available but so far nothing has been released. Audi's most recent solution was literally to disconnect the pump from the electrical system and tell me not to park it in my garage. Great. Nice job, Audi.
    new pumps are in ; had mine installed last week