2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,016
    stickguy said:

they have a 9 volt also in case the house power goes out.

Driver, sounds like it was just an issue with that one unit. Could have been a defective battery, or something with that particular one. could just replace it with a new one and not touch the others.

It was just the battery stick. There are two hardwired...one in each bedroom. The batteries seem to go about every year or two, even though they are 5 year 9 volts. They are about 16 feet high on the vaulted ceiling. I would rather unplug the hardwired ones, and put a 10 year lithium battery unit in the two bedrooms....low enough so they can come down when they wear out or if the battery goes before the 10 year mark.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

driver100 said:

It is only 55F today and it is going to rain all day until 10 a.m. tomorrow. It is all Mikes fault, the cold air is coming from the North, but, the rain is coming up from Miami way! :@

As someone who is facing a 15 below high in a few days you do not have my sympathy.
    But, you have coats, scarves, gloves etc. In Florida they don't even have closets by the front door.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,362
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

It is only 55F today and it is going to rain all day until 10 a.m. tomorrow. It is all Mikes fault, the cold air is coming from the North, but, the rain is coming up from Miami way! :@

As someone who is facing a 15 below high in a few days you do not have my sympathy.
    But, you have coats, scarves, gloves etc. In Florida they don't even have closets by the front door.
    Yeah but if it was 55 outside we wouldn't need hats and gloves and scarves ect nor would we need a closet by the door. Right now the forecast has my Wednesday morning commute at 23 below with windchills approaching 50 below. Not looking forward to this week.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,477

Again if it is criminal then jail time is a possibility, if jail time is not a possibility it is a civil infraction. If Kentucky is different please provide a citation. Otherwise it's the same as everywhere else.

Show me where a defendant charged with a civil infraction is entitled to the presumption of innocence, trial by jury, the right to remain silent, the right to call and cross-examine witnesses, and where the state must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. States that categorize traffic offenses as civil or administrative violations do so in order to make it much easier to keep the money flowing into their coffers.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Okay, new subject -- clothes washer or washing machine, whichever. My old Whirlpool is giving me problems again, and I think it's time for a new one. I want big capacity and quick washes with minimum fuss. From what I have read, pretty much all of the new High Efficiency front loaders take more than an hour to do a load, and that isn't going to cut it for me. I'm far too impatient for that.

So ... Probably want an old fashioned top loader with an agitator.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    https://www.consumerreports.org/top-load-agitator-washers/things-to-know-about-top-load-agitator-washers/

“Agitator washers remain popular, in part, because they have shorter cycle times than other types of washers,” says Emilio Gonzalez, an engineer and manager in appliance testing at Consumer Reports. “And they’re usually your least expensive option.” Most of the top-load agitator models in our washing machine ratings cost less than $500.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Opinions? Advice?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,880
    I think our front load Samsung runs about 55 minutes for normal wash so I guess that is normal. You must be really impatient, or do a lotta laundry, if shaving 20 minutes off is that important!

I didn't realize they still made agitator top loads. I know there are HE top loaders too now.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,708
    If your water bill is high you will want a High Efficiency. You can get a HE top loader that doesn’t take as long. The lack of an agitator is better for your clothes too. One of my main considerations actually was size. New washing machine are huge! And I didn’t have that much space. So for me size limited me to just A few brands. I got Kenmore but I wouldn’t necessarily get them again. Dryers are pretty much all the same, so you can just get the one that matches the washer.
    '24 Kia Sportage PHEV
    '24 Chevy Blazer EV 2LT
  • Options
    am I the only one that would always replace the washer and dryer together (or at minimum, get an exact replacement for whichever one broke), because I couldn't stand seeing a mismatched pair every time I walked past the laundry room?

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2019
    berri said:
    Aba - Lake O gets too high and it is back to algae in the rivers as the Corps of Engineers dumps it out of O.
    That is true, berri.  But the lake is 6-7 feet below normal for this time of year.  It’s Lake Okeechobee that keeps the Everglades from drying up.  What’s needed is a better Water Management System!  That red algae is caused by fertilizers used in the sugar cane industry and other farming and agricultural endeavors.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,433
    In PA, where I grew up, minor traffic tickets were considered summary offenses. Very low level, but still criminal. 

Here in WA, they’re considered Civil offenses.

Varies by state how they’re categorized.

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,027
    stickguy said:

am I the only one that would always replace the washer and dryer together (or at minimum, get an exact replacement for whichever one broke), because I couldn't stand seeing a mismatched pair every time I walked past the laundry room?

In an upstairs laundry .....absolutely. Unfinished basement, I wouldn’t care.

FWIW our top line Maytag HE top loader can take an hour and twenty to do a huge load of towels. Yes, that is long but it probably holds near double of a traditional top loader so you are still saving time.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,932
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Driver, sounds like it was just an issue with that one unit. Could have been a defective battery, or something with that particular one. could just replace it with a new one and not touch the others.

It was just the battery stick. There are two hardwired...one in each bedroom. The batteries seem to go about every year or two, even though they are 5 year 9 volts. They are about 16 feet high on the vaulted ceiling. I would rather unplug the hardwired ones, and put a 10 year lithium battery unit in the two bedrooms....low enough so they can come down when they wear out or if the battery goes before the 10 year mark.
    The possibility exists that they were originally placed where they should go since the smoke will rise. While smoke is accumulating, fire may be raging.

Check the correct placement on the box of the new units you buy.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,225
    henryn said:

Okay, new subject -- clothes washer or washing machine, whichever. My old Whirlpool is giving me problems again, and I think it's time for a new one. I want big capacity and quick washes with minimum fuss. From what I have read, pretty much all of the new High Efficiency front loaders take more than an hour to do a load, and that isn't going to cut it for me. I'm far too impatient for that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Opinions? Advice?

Strangely to me, CNET does all kinds of washing machine reviews. Here is their latest summary:

https://www.cnet.com/topics/washing-machines/best-washing-machines/

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Recently I have been looking for a new living room chair, a replacement for my main TV-watching chair. I don't want one of the large home theater-type recliners but I do think a recliner of some sort might be useful. I have discovered a huge range of prices and styles. I want something that has firm support. Yesterday I happened to be in Ikea for another purpose and wandered into their living room section where I found this:

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80400315/

It is leatherette, not real leather, which is a bit of a negative but the chair I currently have is real leather and has not worn well, so I figure anything is a crapshoot. This was comfortable and is the least expensive power recliner I have found. But look at the details: the thing is said to weigh 175lb! I cannot imagine a chair being that heavy. How would you ever move it?

• Options
    Does the headrest go up? Looks too low for me. I also have no desire for a power operated chair or couch.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,058
    edited January 2019
    small? That thing is damned near 4 feet of floor space in each direction.

We got our set from, of all places, Bob's Discount Furniture. Didn't expect it would be worthwhile, but, IIRC, it was less than $2k for 2 power recliners and a 3-seat sofa with 2 more power recliners (with power headrests) and a fold-down tray with USB ports and reading lights. All "leather." All of the seats also have storage bins in the arms. Have had it for about 5 years or so now and they still look and work like new. That's with 2 young boys, 2 dogs, and a cat.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,200
    stickguy said:

My wife has the same thinking. Gotta replace a good dryer because, just because.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited January 2019
    The top loading Cabrio Whirlpool (and Maytag clones) have a short cycle setting that goes faster. They come in larger drum sizes. Ours has been very reliable. It's 10 or more years old.

Uses very little water on regular settings. Using various different settings, towels, comforters, etc., uses higher quantities of water . But it saves on detergent because less is needed when the settings use less water.
    Quiet.

Some of the regular style washers from same manufacturers actually are using computer control but a simpler, noisier drive system. A friend bought one because he didn't want the computer controls with digital readout. BUT the computer is still there. Just set up with little lights and knobs that look like the old days. Has a gear whine that's persistent and penetrating while washing.

My Whirlpool Cabrio is quiet. And has a glass lid to see how much suds action is there.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,058
    I think I mentioned this before a while back, but, when we moved, we left behind our old front loader HE Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer set. Washing machine in the new house was busted so we bought a top loader Samsung. Wife HATED it. It did an awful job and never got the whites clean. When our first renters moved out of our old house 11 mos later, I took the Samsung there and swapped for our old Duet. That machine is 14 years old now. No idea what we'll do if it dies. I'll probably just fix it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670

I decided I’m going to fight my speeding ticket. It may be a fool’s errand, but at the very least I’ll have my say and see how they justify this mobile red light camera van ordeal.

I was looking at attorneys who specialize. It looks like Mike Allen and some others have done that. He talked about it a couple weeks back on his talk show (Sat 9-11 700) Used to be Lisa Wells' show until she got stopped for drinking and driving somewhere in Central Ohio IIRC. Ironic. Attorney.

The technique of sending tickets weeks after an infraction that is supposedly involving the safety occurs doesn't work. It's like training a puppy not to do things. If a puppy chews up your table leg, you don't let it continue to chew the table leg and then a day later speak sternly, swat it gently, or whatever other training technique you use. That has no effect on the behavior in real time. No, instead you immediately pull the puppy over and give her a warning ticket or a real ticket for the training purposes.

I don't see the logic of running a scam claiming it's for safety--. It's all for the money. Our own state legislator here spent several years in the House. He (they) accomplished nothing because they claim under Home Rule the individual political entities have rights to do certain thiings. When the Supreme Court (of Ohio) decided the last case from Dayton IIRC, we're back where we started in Ohio.

Instead the legislators wanted to try to add on a new law to stop people from driving slower than the legislators wanted to drive in the left lane of multi lane roads on their way to the capitol. It's my understanding they are immune while traveling to and from their "duties" in Columbus. Thank goodness for term limits to get this guy out.

Rep Bill Seitz has done the most over the years. His district is somewhere in Hamilton Cty.

Cincy has it in their city charter that there will be no cameras per a vote of the people. But they're hoping to change that claiming women and children might be hurt in school zones so they need to change it to allow the handheld cameras that are being pushed by the camera companies.
    Thanks @imidazol97
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Again if it is criminal then jail time is a possibility, if jail time is not a possibility it is a civil infraction. If Kentucky is different please provide a citation. Otherwise it's the same as everywhere else.
    Show me where a defendant charged with a civil infraction is entitled to the presumption of innocence, trial by jury, the right to remain silent, the right to call and cross-examine witnesses, and where the state must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. States that categorize traffic offenses as civil or administrative violations do so in order to make it much easier to keep the money flowing into their coffers.
    in civil courts you are still presumed innocent until proven guilty, you can still remain silent, you don't have to testify, you can call and cross examine witnesses and the like. I know I have done it and seen others do it.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

small? That thing is damned near 4 feet of floor space in each direction.

I never said it was small. But yes, it is large and about 4" wider than what I currently have. I am currently leaning toward one of these, but I'm not yet sold on anything:

https://imgcomfort.com/ca/collection/relaxers-and-power-relaxers/paradise

• Options
    @Nedgeo ....in my experience, if you can’t pass the entrance exams for a Parochial school, you won’t gain entrance, regardless of the reason you can’t pass them.
    Remember cash trumps test scores.

• Options
    It's not looking well weather wise. Getting a lot of snow today and in a little more than 24 hours from now it's going to drop below zero and stay that way for at least 48 hours. Looks like Wednesday and Thursday I'll be heading into work in temps below 20 below.

• Options
    stickguy said:

My washer and dryer are in the garage, so I really don't care what they look like, just how they work. And I have perfectly good gas dryer that I bought used 8 years ago when I bought this house, and it has never given me any trouble, so ...

And for the same reason (location in the garage), I could care less about any noises it might make.

tjc78 said:

FWIW our top line Maytag HE top loader can take an hour and twenty to do a huge load of towels. Yes, that is long but it probably holds near double of a traditional top loader so you are still saving time.

I live alone, so I don't have a "huge load of towels". I generally need to do a small load of whites, a small load of clothes that I wear to work, and a small load of "work in the yard or on cars" clothes. Often I will do 2 or 3 separate small loads, and then dry them all together. One reason I want a short wash cycle. If it took 70 minutes to do each small load, that would be 210 minutes, 3.5 hours, which is ridiculous. My present old fashioned washer takes about 22 minutes for a small load. I'm willing to go up to 30 or 35 minutes if I have to, but 70 minutes is not going to cut it.

The top loading Cabrio Whirlpool (and Maytag clones) have a short cycle setting that goes faster. They come in larger drum sizes. Ours has been very reliable. It's 10 or more years old.

My Whirlpool Cabrio is quiet. And has a glass lid to see how much suds action is there.

Thanks, I will look into that model, as it sounds like what I'm looking for.

qbrozen said:

I think I mentioned this before a while back, but, when we moved, we left behind our old front loader HE Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer set. Washing machine in the new house was busted so we bought a top loader Samsung. Wife HATED it. It did an awful job and never got the whites clean. When our first renters moved out of our old house 11 mos later, I took the Samsung there and swapped for our old Duet. That machine is 14 years old now. No idea what we'll do if it dies. I'll probably just fix it.

I have fixed my old washing machine twice (replaced broken plastic gears in the agitator, and replaced the springs that position the drum). But it now has a leak, which I suspect is coming from the drum. I opened it up last night, and couldn't spot any loose or broken hoses or clamps or whatever. I suspect it's probably time to give up on this one. I may look around for a good used one, not energy efficient.
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Strangely to me, CNET does all kinds of washing machine reviews. Here is their latest summary:

https://www.cnet.com/topics/washing-machines/best-washing-machines/

Thanks for the link, I did go and read the article. But Holy Smoley, Batman, those are some EXPENSIVE washing machines!

$1,073, $1,100, $1,150, $1,300, with one “poor boy special” thrown in at $720.

For that kind of money it should walk the dog, vacuum the floors, and scrub the toilet!

• Options
    I assume those are list prices. So deduct 40% for street pricing.

• Options
    @abacomike ...I know I found the Avalon a viable luxury vehicle, and you’ve mentioned a couple of times how you would put them on your shopping list. Here’s a review...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqGXBBdlMRI
  • Options
    henryn said:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    https://www.consumerreports.org/top-load-agitator-washers/things-to-know-about-top-load-agitator-washers/

“Agitator washers remain popular, in part, because they have shorter cycle times than other types of washers,” says Emilio Gonzalez, an engineer and manager in appliance testing at Consumer Reports. “And they’re usually your least expensive option.” Most of the top-load agitator models in our washing machine ratings cost less than $500.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Opinions? Advice?

My wife is mostly in charge of laundry - she would only get a top loader....doesn't see the point of bending over to put stuff in. Also, you can't stop a front loader and add more.

I wouldn't get a Samsung or LG only because they don't seem to have a service network set up.
    I doubt if you need the extra cleaning power the article talked about, unless you have young children, most should do a decent job.
    Prices start at about $400 but those units seem pretty bare bones, and I doubt if they will hold up as well over time.
    Probably worth paying another $200 and get one with more features and that will be made right...not just to meet a price.
    I like this Maytag model for $628 in white.
    Maytag Washer
    Like stick said, I would buy the pair....hate to have two different models side by side.

• Options
    venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

The possibility exists that they were originally placed where they should go since the smoke will rise. While smoke is accumulating, fire may be raging.

Check the correct placement on the box of the new units you buy.
    Agree, technically they should be within 12 inches of the ceiling....that would explain why they place them so high. I don't know....do I get killed because there will be too much smoke in the room by the time the smoke reaches the alarm or do I get killed going up on a 14 foot ladder and trying to balance while replacing batteries every year or two?

• Options

@Nedgeo ....in my experience, if you can’t pass the entrance exams for a Parochial school, you won’t gain entrance, regardless of the reason you can’t pass them.

Remember cash trumps test scores.

Maybe! But, I would imagine it would take a whole bunch of cash on top of the already hefty tuition and fees to get into the school.

Perhaps it’s changed, but I never saw anyone get into the schools my son and I went to because of laying out a lot of cash. I know some prominent local families (who I’ll assume were financially well off) who had their kids either rejected or dismissed from Catholic Schools for not being able to keep up with the academics.

Not familiar with other private schools and how they operate. But, regardless of reason, and speaking in general terms, if you can’t keep up the academic regiment of a Catholic Schoo, you either won’t be admitted or won’t stay long once you are admitted.

Be it good or ill, not being able to speak the language will most likely doom you IN ANY PRIVATE SCHOOL! That’s why I feel empathy towards public schools. They’re charged with teaching some students who increasingly can not speak English....or are poor at their language skills. This isn’t a bias on my part. It’s just a change in the focus of the kids who are attending schools.

I heard to teens speaking at the local Starbucks the other day. They were speaking what I would loosely call English. But, I’d be darned if I could understand ½ of what they were saying.

Those kids are going to be at a severe disadvantage when it comes to being a successful member of our society.
  • Options

in civil courts you are still presumed innocent until proven guilty, you can still remain silent, you don't have to testify, you can call and cross examine witnesses and the like. I know I have done it and seen others do it.

Were the charges dropped.....and so now you are free?

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409

Will the State provide you with a free attorney?
  • Options
    driver100 said:
    Were the charges dropped.....and so now you are free?
    Yes charges were dropped. On more than one occasion I might add. I even beat a red light camera ticket.

Many years ago my son had to go to court for a hit and run that he allegedly did. The guy who got hit didn't get a description of the driver nor the license plate number of the car that hit him. The guy who got hit saw my sons car in a parking lot a few days later and reported it as the one that hit him. 

The prosecutor put forth the evidence and before we could put forth our argument the judge looked at the prosecutor and asked why we were their because they had no evidence that our car was the one that did the hit and run. He then dismissed the charges. 

• Options
    houdini2 said:
    Will the State provide you with a free attorney?
    I would think that public defenders have better things to do than to get your ticket reduced.

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 618
    driver100 said:

henryn said:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Opinions? Advice?

My wife is mostly in charge of laundry - she would only get a top loader....doesn't see the point of bending over to put stuff in. Also, you can't stop a front loader and add more.

I wouldn't get a Samsung or LG only because they don't seem to have a service network set up.
    I doubt if you need the extra cleaning power the article talked about, unless you have young children, most should do a decent job.
    Prices start at about $400 but those units seem pretty bare bones, and I doubt if they will hold up as well over time.
    Probably worth paying another $200 and get one with more features and that will be made right...not just to meet a price.
    Maytag Washer
    Like stick said, I would buy the pair....hate to have two different models side by side.
    A couple of years ago our Maytag top loader in our house bit the dust. It had no agitator, but it had 2 scroll like things inside and it worked well. So, we got a new large capacity Maytag top load. It was horrible! If you washed a single bedspread, it would go off balance, drain, refill and try again, and again and again. After trying wash 1 thing for 4 hours, we'd haul out a sopping wet thing and squeeze enough water out to throw it in the dryer. This happened a lot. We complained to Lowes, and they agreed to give us a new LG top loader and swap it out for no charge.
    It is just OK. It seems to ball stuff up, so you have to un-knot stuff before drying, but at least it will finish a cycle.
    Now my wife wants a front loader. We do have 2 washers on seasonal water for our summer cottage renters, so I can always throw it in there for renters and our overflow summer "changeover day" laundry.
    We have 3 Re-Store/Re-Source Habitat stores within 20 miles, so I usually buy used stuff for the rental cottages there.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    Almost every washing machine at Best Buy gets 4.5 stars. Do you think that is real?
    Washing machines - Best Buy

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @abacomike ...I know I found the Avalon a viable luxury vehicle, and you’ve mentioned a couple of times how you would put them on your shopping list. Here’s a review... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqGXBBdlMRI
    Thanks, GG.  Yes, the Avalon is on my list of potential “next car” since Toyota started to add styling to their cars.  Good review.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100 said:

henryn said:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Opinions? Advice?

Maytag Washer
    Take the model number and go to Lowes in your area. I suspect it's the same washer I bought our son when he moved into his apartment here with his new job in 2015. But it has an improved readout with digital The stainless steel tub and the see thru top are nice to see if you're getting just enough suds for the HE detergents.

As for the person with the problem of large bedspreads balling up, that is the case with our Cabrio as well. You have to put in enough to let it balance, i.e., 3-5 towels, 2 bedspreads. If it's a really large comforter, you have to stop it before the spin cycle and pull the ends around to the other side of the tub to balance the load after the heavy water is spun out at low speed.

I suspect the only way around that is the horizontal axis washers. I like reaching into the top loader to handle stuff. My wife can't reach down or into dryer because of her bad back, so I'm doing the laundry.

• Options
    driver100 said:

henryn said:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Opinions? Advice?

Maytag Washer
    Take the model number and go to Lowes in your area. I suspect it's the same washer I bought our son when he moved into his apartment here with his new job in 2015. But it has an improved readout with digital The stainless steel tub and the see thru top are nice to see if you're getting just enough suds for the HE detergents.

As for the person with the problem of large bedspreads balling up, that is the case with our Cabrio as well. You have to put in enough to let it balance, i.e., 3-5 towels, 2 bedspreads. If it's a really large comforter, you have to stop it before the spin cycle and pull the ends around to the other side of the tub to balance the load after the heavy water is spun out at low speed.

I suspect the only way around that is the horizontal axis washers. I like reaching into the top loader to handle stuff. My wife can't reach down or into dryer because of her bad back, so I'm doing the laundry.

• Options
    Lowes has Maytags $579 and $629 that seem pretty good. Imid, I think you are correct....balancing the load seems to be a factor, the complaints about balling up etc. aren't common.

• Options
    After the Foresters battery needed replaced I started looking around at what's out there for a replacement.

Today I looked at Honda CR-V's and HR-V's. I was surprised how big the HR-V is on the inside, yet it is pretty small on the outside. I actually liked the HR-V better. The engine is anemic though. I didn't drive one so maybe, since it's lighter, it is OK.

For some odd reason they haven't discovered Rear Automatic Braking yet even though the ones I looked at had Honda Sensing.

We have had 3 Foresters in a row. The 2019's are now, finally, on the Subaru "global platform", but the Outback won't have it until the 2020 model year. If she does decide on another Subaru, it will have to be a Forester or wait until next year for an Outback. B)

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,730
    stickguy said:

C'mon man, don't you have a door on your laundry room? :o Right now we have a miss-matched washer and dryer in our laundry room that is off the kitchen. We live with it because they work and we are fearful of dumping them, what with all the moaning I have heard in here about appliances and with talking to various people about their laundry sets. So they will go only when they go and we'll have a coveted match set when that happens.

You would have had an outright conniption if you had a white washer and an avocado green dryer like we had for many years. Why avocado green, because when we bought our first house in 1969 when we were buying other things in Penney's in the mall, just by chance, as we were leaving we walked by a washer in the aisle on our way out. This washer was crazy reduced because it had the right side bashed in. To call this thing a scratch and dent would have been an insult to the term scratch and dent. The salesman came over and asked if I was interested and I said that thing has to have internal damage. He assured us it didn't and said if we wanted it he would talk to his manager and see if they could reduce the price even more. I said OK go check and they reduced it another $35. This was in 1969 when 35 bucks almost meant something, so we bought it. I'm telling you this thing was damn near destroyed on the right side but since that side would be against the wall in the basement laundry/furnace room neither of us cared about that.

So of course we wanted a matching dryer but it was in new condition but it was on sale. I remember asking the salesman if he would turn his head so I could bash in the dryer and then he could see what Penney's could do on two bashed in appliances. He just smiled and said something like, "c'mon man, that washer is almost free now. What do you want for crying out loud" ? The washer petered out in the mid 80's so we bought a white Kenmore (not a scratch and dent but still a good price, avocado green was no longer available) and we had the white washer and the green dryer when we moved to SC in 1992. Since they were both working well, we kept them.

Fast forward to when we moved back to the Burgh in 1997. I gave the washer and dryer to the guy who packed our 2 U-Hauls for our move back. As he was looking over the house to get a feel for what was going back a few days before the move, he walked into the laundry room off the kitchen and I said, "don't worry about this stuff we are going to get rid of it, so you don't have to load the washer and dryer or the refrigerator". Ended up giving him all of those appliances and he was more than careful with how he packed the two trucks (not one scratch on anything when we got back). The best give away I ever did.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,483
    One thing about batteries, how old they are when you install them is important. I like Duracel because they have the expected lifespan(or expiration year) on them. I look through them at the store to get the ones with the furthest date out.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

One thing about batteries, how old they are when you install them is important. I like Duracel because they have the expected lifespan(or expiration year) on them. I look through them at the store to get the ones with the furthest date out.

The dealer installed the one that petered out after a year. They also installed the one in it now. The 3 year warranty started over.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,708
    driver100 said:

Almost every washing machine at Best Buy gets 4.5 stars. Do you think that is real?
    Washing machines - Best Buy

Yes, because most washing machines nowadays are pretty good.

'24 Kia Sportage PHEV
    '24 Chevy Blazer EV 2LT
  • Options
    @vemture,
    My post was directed more towards driver100. There is probably a date code on your car battery, too.
    Why are you buying 3 year batteries? They are the bottom of the line.
    I only buy 8 year batteries from my Ford dealer. They usually last 8 years.
  • Options

@vemture,
    My post was directed more towards driver100. There is probably a date code on your car battery, too.
    Why are you buying 3 year batteries? They are the bottom of the line.
    I only buy 8 year batteries from my Ford dealer. They usually last 8 years.

Oh.

I'm not buying them. Subaru is replacing them under warranty.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,477

Chapter 29A.270 of the Kentucky Revised Statutes states:
    Right to jury trial.
    (1) Defendants shall have the right to a jury trial in all criminal prosecutions, including
    prosecutions for violations of traffic laws
    , in the Circuit and District Courts. The
    defendant may request a jury trial at any time prior to the time his case is called for
    trial.(emphasis added)
    (2) There shall be no right to a jury trial in civil actions in which the amount in
    controversy does not exceed two hundred and fifty dollars ($250).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    @venture,
    I should have said, Why are you settling for 3 year batteries?
    You should upgrade you battery so your wife doesn't get stranded again.
    At least see if there is a date on your new battery.