Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,655
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

my local Volvo dealer of all places has a used G wagon (they very rarely have non-Volvo used cars). If this price is reasonable, people who buy these are nuts!

https://www.cherryhillvolvocars.com/used/Mercedes-Benz/2014-Mercedes-Benz-G-Class-cherry-hill-nj-0573e12d0a0e0adf62aba4d9ab640888.htm

It seems expensive to you because you probably aren't after that rare butterfly.
    Hell, he can't even afford a door for his laundry room. :p

jmonroe
    At least his washer and dryer are the same color.
    @isellhondas doesn't think it is important. B)

BTW, did he get lost again or did he ignore his last dues statement?

jmonroe

You value isells judgement over mine?
    We don't even know where his is!
    Yes, even a lost/missing @isellhondas has more judgement.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,763
    edited January 2019

Well the forecast is it to drop below zero around 5PM today and not hit zero until around 3AM Friday morning. That works out to 57 hours of subzero weather.  It's forecasted to be in the mid 20s below on the morning commute both Wednesday and Thursday. 

It remains to be seen if I am the only one stupid enough to come to work.

Last week 13 of us showed up to work in brutal snow and cold. Pretty good for a job nobody needs.

I was up in driver100’s neighborhood the last two days almost in kissing distance of Canada. So close I was listening to CBC out of Ottawa.

Sorry your ambassador to China got canned for shooting his mouth off. I thought only our officials did that. Also what’s with the dude who got convicted on eight counts of murder in Toronto? Very untypical Canadian behavior. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,714
    I still miss the stick at times. Would certainly like to have another one, but quite likely it would only be a 3rd "toy" car. I doubt my primary car is ever going to be one again.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Separated at birth?

• Options
    edited January 2019
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

The camo is dbaggy on an old CLS, but I could deal with it on a G-Wagen.

True, a vehicle that really needs to be camouflaged. B)
    A G Wagon.....love 'em or hate 'em!

Driver you would have loved the guy I worked with today. He is a Mercedes collector.

He has three, a 1999 SLK, a 1999 C280 and a 2006 SLK.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,408
    I like that grab handle better than the one the GLK has, too. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Is that a boombox or a 58 Oldsmobile styling exercise B)
  • Options
    tyguy said:

Going....going....gone.

Looks like I need to update my profile to show the Audi sold. I was tired of waiting on Audi for the new pump and instead informed buyers there was a pending recall replacement.

It's been mentioned that manual transmission cars are regarded as sale-proof, but I personally didn't experience any trouble. Between Wednesday and Saturday last week I had a line of 7 people wanting to buy the car, and all mentioned they specifically wanted my car because it was a manual that had been well maintained.

So, I think that was my last manual car. It's a weird feeling knowing I'm highly unlikely to buy another car with a manual transmission....or any transmission at all for that matter.

I think the standard transmission crowd is small but very devoted. As fewer and fewer are made you have instant rarity and thus desirability.

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Ugh... wife got her deer tonight. Rats with antlers

• Options
    Oh no!! Sorry PF_Flyer. Is she alright?
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511
    edited January 2019
    PF_Flyer said:

Rats with antlers.

I agree 100%. My wife's Pathfinder took a significant hit from a deer (even more significant to the deer no doubt) near Granby, CO, several years ago. Did no functional damage, but still a pain to deal with the cosmetics and the body shop.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,408
    Deer crossed from left to right and hit it in the back half?
    Just guessing.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    So sorry. I figure everyone has at least one deer hit in their lifetime. I’ve had two, but I lived in an area where I practically had my own herd in my backyard.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008

Well the forecast is it to drop below zero around 5PM today and not hit zero until around 3AM Friday morning. That works out to 57 hours of subzero weather.  It's forecasted to be in the mid 20s below on the morning commute both Wednesday and Thursday. 

Last week 13 of us showed up to work in brutal snow and cold. Pretty good for a job nobody needs.

I was up in driver100’s neighborhood the last two days almost in kissing distance of Canada. So close I was listening to CBC out of Ottawa.

Sorry your ambassador to China got canned for shooting his mouth off. I thought only our officials did that. Also what’s with the dude who got convicted on eight counts of murder in Toronto? Very untypical Canadian behavior. :s
    I'll have to catch up on the news back home...didn't hear about the guy in China shooting his mouth off....how come government people are so stupid?
    They guy that killed 8 I had heard about...a long process finding the bodies.
    Our countries are very similar in so many ways...not always good ways either.
    Were you in Buffalo or Niagara Falls N.Y.? They are both 60 to 90 minutes away from home.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Driver you would have loved the guy I worked with today. He is a Mercedes collector.

I do like his choice of cars....I actually like the 99s more than the 2006.
    When a car is made right it always is a joy own and drive.

• Options
    PF_Flyer said:

Oh no! Hope your wife is OK.
    Must be something that shakes you up for awhile.
    Did the deer keep running?

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511
    When you see and avoid the first deer, keep in mind that there is very likely another one nearby, maybe even a third. We missed the first one and hit the second one, at dusk when the lighting is poor.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Always dusk. It’s amazkng that such big animals are SOOO silent. The first sighting is usually as they’re sliding across your hood.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    PF_Flyer said:

Ouch! Totaled?

• Options
    driver100 said:

I'll have to catch up on the news back home...didn't hear about the guy in China shooting his mouth off....how come government people are so stupid?
    Were you in Buffalo or Niagara Falls N.Y.? They are both 60 to 90 minutes away from home.

St. Lawrence valley.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,159

The ambassador used to be a Cabinet Minister and he messed that up so they sent him to China to get him out of there. Then he messed that up. Some say he says dumb things because he gets emotional too easily, others say he enjoys an adult beverage. Probably some combination of those plus other things.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

I do like his choice of cars....I actually like the 99s more than the 2006.
    When a car is made right it always is a joy own and drive.

On one of the convertibles (can’t remember which) he had a top lock sensor go bad resulting in a warning light and constant beeping. Cost $3k+ to get it fixed.

Hey if you can’t afford to buy it, you can’t afford to fix it.

• Options
    Also hope she is OK. that is all that really counts. I hit one with my 1990 Nissan PU. slight dent in the lip of the hood and cracked the grill. But because it was tall and vertical, the deer bounced off instead of coming up the hood. Would have gone a lot differently I think if I had been driving the 323 instead!

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,244
    Deer not in windshield, so all is well.

Back in the 90s, my dad was driving a 68 Ford, and hit a deer - broke a headlight and bent a piece of trim.
  • Options

driver100 said:

St. Lawrence valley.
    More toward Quebec....do you parle francais.......it might help in that area?

• Options
    Back in ‘69, my teacher hit a moose on the highway. The teacher was driving his new VW Beetle. The moose’s antler punctured the roof. My teacher was off work for a few days, don’t recall the outcome for the moose. The VW was a total.

• Options
    ab348 said:

The ambassador used to be a Cabinet Minister and he messed that up so they sent him to China to get him out of there. Then he messed that up. Some say he says dumb things because he gets emotional too easily, others say he enjoys an adult beverage. Probably some combination of those plus other things.
    I'll have to catch up with the latest scandals and news from the capital. How come it is always the buffoons who try to run a country? I guess they aren't qualified to do real jobs.

• Options
    fintail said:

Deer not in windshield, so all is well.

Back in the 90s, my dad was driving a 68 Ford, and hit a deer - broke a headlight and bent a piece of trim.

back in the 80s, was with a friend who was driving his family Caprice. I think a 74. Before the downsize, and with battering rams. He T boned a downsized Monte Carlo. Which drove away, resembling a crab it was so bent. Upon inspection later, we found 1 cracked grill bar, and I think one headlight was slightly out of adjustment. I don't think he ever bothered to mention it to his father. That car, defined tank.

• Options
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

I'll have to catch up with the latest scandals and news from the capital. How come it is always the buffoons who try to run a country? I guess they aren't qualified to do real jobs.
    Rob Ford set the bar really, really high.

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

St. Lawrence valley.
    Un petit peu.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,426
    Hope all is okay, PF.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,350
    suydam said:

So sorry. I figure everyone has at least one deer hit in their lifetime. I’ve had two, but I lived in an area where I practically had my own herd in my backyard.

No deer hits here but one or two close calls.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

Because smart people don't want to live under the microscope that politicians have to live under and they don't want to be run through the ringer that the opposition puts them through.

• Options
    stickguy said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

He put Toronto on the global map of the world. Tourism went way up - any publicity is good publicity.
    Maybe he was ahead of his time...now that pot is legal. :p

• Options

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

St. Lawrence valley.
    Un petit peu.
    N'mal pas (I am trying to say "not bad" but doubt if it is correct))

• Options

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

Because smart people don't want to live under the microscope that politicians have to live under and they don't want to be run through the ringer that the opposition puts them through.
    Good points! Also, don't want to have to kiss babies.

• Options
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

He put Toronto on the global map of the world. Tourism went way up - any publicity is good publicity.
    Maybe he was ahead of his time...now that pot is legal. :p
    He was not "advertising" for Pot. He was well beyond that.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Ultimate road rage

Last Friday a 65-year-old Framingham, MA man desperately clung to the hood of a 37-year-old Ashland man’s speeding car — at one point allegedly reaching 70 miles per hour — on the Massachusetts Turnpike for more than 3 miles. This video captured the incident.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG2us3DxYpM
  • Options
    Made it into work and in record time as the roads were empty.

• Options
    stickguy said:

He was not "advertising" for Pot. He was well beyond that.

I had no idea Ontario municipal politics were such a hot topic for New Jerseyites. I guess politicians misbehaving is something they are quite used to.

Rob Ford was good only as a bad example, although he did try to undo some of the worst of the wooly-headed things the previous progressives had put into place. However the relentless media scrutiny he was subject to was also extraordinary compared to others who held that position. But he had so many skeletons in the closet that they understandably made hay.

You may be unaware that his brother Doug is now Premier (Governor) of the whole province of Ontario.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    @PF_Flyer ...dang.....assuming everyone is fine. The car? Time for you to step up to a punch, anyway!!!! ;)

@tyguy ....you almost sound relieved that the Audi is gone. Good job in moving it, and moving on with your Tesla (which I’m jealous of, btw).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    On my commute this morning, I was sitting beside a Maserati. Not sure of the model, but it looked big, and new, and black. I had no idea that Maserati made a really large sedan.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    Quottraporte they always did. I think there is another cheaper 4 door model now. Ghibli?

• Options
    bwia said:
    Ultimate road rage Last Friday a 65-year-old Framingham, MA man desperately clung to the hood of a 37-year-old Ashland man’s speeding car — at one point allegedly reaching 70 miles per hour — on the Massachusetts Turnpike for more than 3 miles. This video captured the incident. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG2us3DxYpM
    Looks like neither were completely innocent in this. Apparently the guy on the hood reached into the car and did some damage and has been charged with disorderly conduct and damaging the vehicle. Most likely will get off with a slap on the wrist.

Mind you I am not excusing anyone behavior.

The driver is looking at some serious charges, assault with a dangerous weapon an a person over 60, negligent driving and leaving a scene of an accident. He will be lucky not to spend some time as a guest of the state.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,244
    edited January 2019
    There's a special charge for assault on an oldster vs anyone else? Weird.

I suspect the driver can use some kind of "fear" defense when he has a crazy arrogant old man on his hood. Should have just stomped on the brakes.
  • Options

Deer crossed from left to right and hit it in the back half?
    Just guessing.

Left to right, but she pretty much got it square. She fine, drove it home, No fluids leaking. It's at the body shop waiting for insurance to decide. Both front quarter panels, hood askew, radiator took a hit and those mounts are done. AC compressor front clip, grill. With 108K on it, the body shop guy thinks they might total it
  • Options
    edited January 2019

When you see and avoid the first deer, keep in mind that there is very likely another one nearby, maybe even a third. We missed the first one and hit the second one, at dusk when the lighting is poor.

Yea, there were two. But it was well past dusk. Same spot where one got me. Here's the approach she had. Housing development behind the trees on the left, apartments/condos behind the trees on the right. Not wilderness. They worked along the treeline on the left and bolted across there. 45 MPH limit

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409

stickguy said:

I’d be staying home. Dog would be lucky to get outside to pee.

I am tempted to stay home however I'm in payroll and once you pay someone they expect you to keep paying them. 

Yes, if you are being paid.....get up, dress up, and show up.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

my local Volvo dealer of all places has a used G wagon (they very rarely have non-Volvo used cars). If this price is reasonable, people who buy these are nuts!

https://www.cherryhillvolvocars.com/used/Mercedes-Benz/2014-Mercedes-Benz-G-Class-cherry-hill-nj-0573e12d0a0e0adf62aba4d9ab640888.htm

Maybe if you lived in certain parts of Alaska, Africa, or the Australian Outback.
  • Options
    ab348 said:

A lot of times drunk people say what the sober man is just thinking.