Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,349
    @imidazol97,
    The first guy that had car trouble alright. His car was facing backwards!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,901

The Home Depot ad had a picture of an LCD panel, but the main picture doesn't have that.
    We have a model similar to (or maybe the same as) the one with the LCD panel.
    If the load is out of balance and you want to open it, it takes a long time before the lid unlocks waiting for the drum to stop spinning.

Boy! You can say that again.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,192
    Showboat brotruck driving too fast for conditions? Impossible!
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,981

The Home Depot ad had a picture of an LCD panel, but the main picture doesn't have that.
    If the load is out of balance and you want to open it, it takes a long time before the lid unlocks waiting for the drum to stop spinning.

Picky picky!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

Driving a vehicle with little weight on the rear.
    Not slowing down for bridges and overpasses in freezing temps.
    Hmmmm. What could go wrong.

Notice the guy who had car trouble and did NOT remain in his car. He jumps the guard rail.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/01/31/odot-warns-motorists-slow-down-bridges-overpasses/2735014002/

A few observations:

I wonder what the truck was like after that...since it probably hit the transport truck.

They said stay in your car in case of an accident. I don't think that is the best thing from what I recall, though in this case it would be better than standing on the highway. If the weather was warmer, it would be better to climb over the guardrail, and preferably go up a small hill or something. A lot of cars ram into the back of a car on the road....especially if say, the tailights are lit up.

That was I-75. Can you imagine if they got some of that snow on I-75 in Florida...it would be like a demolish-on derby?

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't want either extreme, thank you. Moderation in all things. Including moderation.

Wait a minute henryn, Moderation in Houston weather."Moderation in moderation" , might that be where the saying regress to the mean comes from B)
  • Options
    What you should do is stand up the road from your car. That way if it gets hit, you won't get caught up in the collision.
    Of course, you could always get hit before the other vehicle reaches yours.
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    driver100 said:

Picky picky!
    The GE model I'm looking at, and have ordered, does not have an LCD panel. I know, for certain, I looked at floor models at both Home Depot and Lowes.

And you can forget about Sears Outlet. I went to the closest one, and called the other 2. They do NOT have what the web page says they have. Not even close. The nearest store had 2 front loaders, and one compact top loader. And none of those 3 shows on the web page. Sheesh.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    @henryn,
    Looks like you made the right decision.
    It's kind of like looking at car dealer websites. Their websites are not continuously updated, so sometimes what you are looking isn't there anymore.
  • Options
    henryn said:

driver100 said:

Picky picky!
    The GE model I'm looking at, and have ordered, does not have an LCD panel. I know, for certain, I looked at floor models at both Home Depot and Lowes.

And you can forget about Sears Outlet. I went to the closest one, and called the other 2. They do NOT have what the web page says they have. Not even close. The nearest store had 2 front loaders, and one compact top loader. And none of those 3 shows on the web page. Sheesh.

I like LCD panels....just because they are so cool. But, the reality is, a lot of appliances breakdown because of LCD panels. Seems water gets in there and messes them up. Stoves are particularly vulnerable, as there is water spillage and steam. If you want dependability, go with the old manual buttons and dials.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    edited January 2019
    driver100 said:

If you want dependability, go with the old manual buttons and dials.

Yeah, assuming you can still get such things -- see manual transmissions and/or steering in cars.

It took effort when I bought my first Miata ('91) to get one that didn't have power steering, but at least it was possible, but no more. Why on God's green earth did a car that light need power steering? My '71 Kenworth tractor with a 350 Cummins had manual steering -- it came with a 22-inch steering wheel for a reason.

The pussification of everything continues apace. Yes sir, may I have another?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

What you should do is stand up the road from your car. That way if it gets hit, you won't get caught up in the collision.
    Of course, you could always get hit before the other vehicle reaches yours.

The problem there is someone may just happen to pull over at that point, and not be able to see you. They may even see your broken down car and then pull up in front to help....right where you are standing.

Stay away from the road....cars can collide and they can go anywhere. Drunk drivers can't judge what is happening, they can run right into the back of your car. Cars should have a light that tells you the car is broken down and sitting on the shoulder....nah, they will still find a way to run into you.

• Options
    henryn said:

driver100 said:

Picky picky!

When you look for a washer or any appliance at Home Depot or any store they have dozens of models, way too many to have them all in stock at any store. My guess is a lot of these things are shipped directly from the manufacturer.....they bill it through the particular store where you bought it. Retailers let the manufacturer carry the product, store it, and they probably don't pay for it until it is shipped. It is smart.... reduces the cost of carrying the product.

• Options
    My son in law sent a video of one of the dogs being obnoxious because he wouldn't let it go hang outside on the front porch. It was about -2F at the time.
    Once he let it out, it stayed outside by choice.
    The other one had been hanging outside in the back yard for a while.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    @driver100,
    My point was if your disabled vehicle is behind you, you don't have to worry about both an oncoming vehicle and your own hitting you.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,336
    driver100 said:

Cars should have a light that tells you the car is broken down and sitting on the shoulder....nah, they will still find a way to run into you.

You mean like these?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

@driver100,
    My point was if your disabled vehicle is behind you, you don't have to worry about both an oncoming vehicle and your own hitting you.

I know what you meant but I don't think it is foolproof. I have read about stretches of roads where cars that are pulled over for repairs get hit, tow trucks get hit....police cars with lights flashing get hit. It is a case of think what the stupidest idiot could do....and then be prepared.....someone could do it!

• Options

driver100 said:

Cars should have a light that tells you the car is broken down and sitting on the shoulder....nah, they will still find a way to run into you.

You mean like these?

People have used those flashing lights....still doesn't stop a car from coming up from behind thinking that car is moving. I have a hunch those flashing lights attract drunks...they want to follow flashing lights.
    People go the wrong way and they don't notice headlights are coming at them. Like I said above...tow trucks, police cars etc get hit often........from behind.

• Options
    Something like this that pops up on your roof:

• Options
    @driver100,
    You want to put a 'Hit Me' sign on top of your car?
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

I was also at the Bengals “Freezer Bowl” in ‘82 for the AFC Championship Game. Windchill made it as low as -59ºF. For that, I wore long johns, two pair of Levis over that. Insulated long sleeve T-Shirt, with two sweatshirts over that and a down insulated coat over all that. I put newspaper in my insulated boots, isulated socks on my feet with plastic bags over all that.

I had a full sock hat over my head, ears and mouth, with my coat’s insulated hood over all that.

Saw a guy with a metal flask sitting in front of me try to take a swig of whiskey from it, and his lips froze to the flask. By the time his companions (who were laughing so hard they could barely breath) extricated him from the flask, the skin tore off his lips and he was bleeding. It was so cold, (or he was so lubricated internally) he didn’t care.

Bengals were playing the San Diego Chargers, obviously a warm weather team. Bengals came out of their tunnel in short sleeves. After seeing that, you could tell the Chargers threw in the towel. Bengals won 27-7.

Went to the SuperBowl at the Silver Dome in Detroit. Weather wasn’t much better there. And, of course, the Bengals had the game won until Montana struck with 35 seconds left in the game, and pulled victory out of the jaws of defeat. Bill Walsh, a former Bengals coach and Paul Brown prodigy, who was angry that Mr Brown wouldn’t give him a shot to become a HC, went to the 49ers and beat his former mentor’s team.

Moved to the Bay Area the next year and found the winters in No CA weren’t a whole lot different than they were in Cincinnati.

January of '82 was crazy. Multiple Arctic blasts and the only time I remember 3 different events in the same year getting us out of school up in NW Indiana... actually 4 if you count our head start on Christmas vacation. Yes, the day after the Freezer Bowl was mostly driven by the cold. Now the guy with the flask... was there a triple dog dare involved?

I think you're mixing 49ers/Bengals Super Bowls there. I thought the Bengals got down big the first time they played each other and never did lead. It was so cold outside the Dome that it would be another decade before the NFL thought of playing the SB at a northern site again. I remember being out of school that Monday as well. Just seemed like we missed a bunch of Mondays that month. Snow/weather days were actually fairly memorable in a school system that had maybe a dozen total in all of the 80s.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options

@henryn,
    It's kind of like looking at car dealer websites. Their websites are not continuously updated, so sometimes what you are looking isn't there anymore.

Not only that, but they don't show what options are on the cars either. At least around here they don't. If you look at what they show on their web site as "Packages/Options" or however they word it, it lists everything - like power windows, etc. you can't tell if they have what you are looking for; assuming it is even really on the lot.

I know they do that because they are too lazy, they don't want to pay someone to do it, or (and probably more likely) they want you to "Come on down".

The web sites have become almost worthless to me.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    A lot of the dealers here have a link directly to the window sticker.  That’s a big help for new cars.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

You mean like these?

People have used those flashing lights....still doesn't stop a car from coming up from behind thinking that car is moving. I have a hunch those flashing lights attract drunks...they want to follow flashing lights.
    People go the wrong way and they don't notice headlights are coming at them. Like I said above...tow trucks, police cars etc get hit often........from behind.
    My point was that you said that cars should have lights that tells you a car is broken down and sitting on the shoulder, I was pointing out they did.

• Options

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

You mean like these?

My point was that you said that cars should have lights that tells you a car is broken down and sitting on the shoulder, I was pointing out they did.
    They do, and those lights are useful to a degree.....good idea to use them. All I am saying is some people think those lights are all they need to be safe.....often they aren't enough.

40 seconds:
    https://youtu.be/9SexsvIO4vE

• Options
    venture said:

@henryn,

Not only that, but they don't show what options are on the cars either. At least around here they don't. If you look at what they show on their web site as "Packages/Options" or however they word it, it lists everything - like power windows, etc. you can't tell if they have what you are looking for; assuming it is even really on the lot.

I know they do that because they are too lazy, they don't want to pay someone to do it, or (and probably more likely) they want you to "Come on down".

The web sites have become almost worthless to me.
    You mean advertising on the internet isn't 100% honest? :s

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,706

My son in law sent a video of one of the dogs being obnoxious because he wouldn't let it go hang outside on the front porch. It was about -2F at the time.

My wife’s cat insists that I open the door every morning to check if it’s warm enough to go outside. When it’s too cold he gives me a dirty look and then tears up the furniture as revenge. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

You mean like these?

The trouble is that some drivers are in such a state of oblivion that when they suddenly come upon flashing lights they panic and crash. If they didn’t slam on the brakes they might sail by safely. In that case more lights would be worse not better.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Agreed, OF. I think auto braking and other advanced driver safety features will reduce the incidence of these situations.
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

A lot of the dealers here have a link directly to the window sticker.  That’s a big help for new cars.  

Now that you mention it I remember the Ford dealers did that. I looked at their web sites and they still do. The link is hard to find, but it is there. They are the only ones although I did not look at every brand - just the ones I am interested in and they used to list the options.

I don't know how many people think about, or even know, if they can find the equipment by using the VIN.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,597
    Some of the Hyundai dealers have them too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,110
    We had a wild incident on an expressway here last evening at rush hour:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/several-hurt-after-vehicle-crashes-into-gas-station-lower-sackville-1.5001214

Speculation is that the perp was part of a drug deal gone bad and escaped by driving his Jag on the wrong side of the road at high speed against heavy commuter traffic before veering into the median and getting stuck. He then ran into traffic and commandeered a F150 (reports of use of a machete to threaten the driver and a package being transferred from the disabled Jag to the pickup) before crashing into the gas station.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4914565/gas-station-crash-fundraiser/

No fatalities apparently and he is in custody. Just goes to show you never know what you might encounter despite your best attempts at caution on the highways.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This day in automotive history...

2/1/1898: Travelers sells the 1st auto insurance policy to Dr. Truman Martin of Buffalo, NY. He paid $11.25 for up to $10k in coverage for his Columbia Electric.
    2/1/1947: Graham-Paige auto assets sold to Kaiser
  • Options
    PF_Flyer said:

This day in automotive history...

2/1/1898: Travelers sells the 1st auto insurance policy to Dr. Truman Martin of Buffalo, NY. He paid $11.25 for up to $10k in coverage for his Columbia Electric.
    2/1/1947: Graham-Paige auto assets sold to Kaiser

In the first one, I wonder how the guy who had the insurance company would pay off a $10k claim, if he only had $11.25 in payables? He may have had a lot of money behind him, or investors, but, that is a huge risk for him to take. Guess, he could go bankrupt if he got a big claim.

• Options

My wife’s cat insists that I open the door every morning to check if it’s warm enough to go outside. When it’s too cold he gives me a dirty look and then tears up the furniture as revenge. :'(
    Be thankful you don't have a dog that has to be walked. I found it cold taking Trixie out in 45F temps, back home it would have been in -8F temps!

• Options
    Also on this day in automotive history, John Z. DeLorean was named GM of Chevrolet in 1969.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    driver100 said:

Be thankful you don't have a dog that has to be walked. I found it cold taking Trixie out in 45F temps, back home it would have been in -8F temps!
    My dogs always loved going out in the coldest temps, and if there was a lot of snow, all the better. Their owners, not so much. The only weather my dog hates is rain. Really hates it.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Dashcam video now popping up of the wrong-way driver incident here yesterday:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dashcam-video-wrong-way-highway-101-sackville-crash-1.5001922

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Reminds me of the opening paragraphs of Robert Heinlein's "The Door Into Summer".

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

my local Volvo dealer of all places has a used G wagon (they very rarely have non-Volvo used cars). If this price is reasonable, people who buy these are nuts!

https://www.cherryhillvolvocars.com/used/Mercedes-Benz/2014-Mercedes-Benz-G-Class-cherry-hill-nj-0573e12d0a0e0adf62aba4d9ab640888.htm

It seems expensive to you because you probably aren't after that rare butterfly.
    Hell, he can't even afford a door for his laundry room. :p

jmonroe
    At least his washer and dryer are the same color.
    @isellhondas doesn't think it is important. B)

BTW, did he get lost again or did he ignore his last dues statement?

jmonroe

You value isells judgement over mine?
    We don't even know where his is!
    Yes, even a lost/missing @isellhondas has more judgement.

jmonroe
    Should I take that as an insult?
  • Options

driver100 said:

fintail said:

The camo is dbaggy on an old CLS, but I could deal with it on a G-Wagen.

True, a vehicle that really needs to be camouflaged. B)
    A G Wagon.....love 'em or hate 'em!

Driver you would have loved the guy I worked with today. He is a Mercedes collector.

He has three, a 1999 SLK, a 1999 C280 and a 2006 SLK.

Did I hear someone say Mercedes Collector?

Still have ours and haven't tried selling it at all. Too many deadbeats, flakes and dreamers out there. I need a REAL Mercedes Collector who knows what this car even is!

1979 MINT MINT 450 SLC! All Service Records since new 105,000 miles. Just a beautiful, classy car that sold for close to 35,000 when new in 1979. Time for it to go!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2019
    What are you pricing it at? Did we talk about posting it on Bring A Trailer? I think we did. Have you thought about an ad in Autotrader Classics? They have a pretty good deal for $75 with lots of photos and "run until sold".
  • Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

my local Volvo dealer of all places has a used G wagon (they very rarely have non-Volvo used cars). If this price is reasonable, people who buy these are nuts!

https://www.cherryhillvolvocars.com/used/Mercedes-Benz/2014-Mercedes-Benz-G-Class-cherry-hill-nj-0573e12d0a0e0adf62aba4d9ab640888.htm

It seems expensive to you because you probably aren't after that rare butterfly.

jmonroe

jmonroe

I'm sitting right here! Edmunds once again, decided my password was no good so this time I finally gave up with a lot of sorrow on my part. Suddenly one day, out of boredom I tried one last time and it actually let me in. For a minute I thought I had been banned.
  • Options
    The news media just can't get enough of weather stories. Sometimes there is a strange satisfaction when things don't go quite according to plan:

https://globalnews.ca/video/1903414/reporter-hit-by-fast-moving-toboggan

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,597
    I vote BaT also.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

I'm sitting right here! Edmunds once again, decided my password was no good so this time I finally gave up with a lot of sorrow on my part. Suddenly one day, out of boredom I tried one last time and it actually let me in. For a minute I thought I had been banned.
    We wouldn't do that to you (at least not without a warning!) B)
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,192
    I think BaT is also a good option. This market is too small to have but a few people who really love SLCs, and they all probably already have one. It is a niche model. Maybe also advertise in MBCA publications.

What is your price range? They are nice cars, but aren't terribly valuable yet - more expensive than an SL when new, less valuable now. I'd try to find some auctions or sales of comparable cars for alignment, just in case. One pro for your car aside from condition, it is a late run model - the oldest and newest SLCs are generally the most desirable.

Did I hear someone say Mercedes Collector?

Still have ours and haven't tried selling it at all. Too many deadbeats, flakes and dreamers out there. I need a REAL Mercedes Collector who knows what this car even is!

1979 MINT MINT 450 SLC! All Service Records since new 105,000 miles. Just a beautiful, classy car that sold for close to 35,000 when new in 1979. Time for it to go!

• Options
    ab348 said:

Dashcam video now popping up of the wrong-way driver incident here yesterday:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dashcam-video-wrong-way-highway-101-sackville-crash-1.5001922

I like that last edition of the Jaguar.
    Maybe once he loses his license he will sell it cheap.

• Options
    driver100 said:
    This day in automotive history... 2/1/1898: Travelers sells the 1st auto insurance policy to Dr. Truman Martin of Buffalo, NY. He paid $11.25 for up to $10k in coverage for his Columbia Electric. 2/1/1947: Graham-Paige auto assets sold to Kaiser
    In the first one, I wonder how the guy who had the insurance company would pay off a $10k claim, if he only had $11.25 in payables? He may have had a lot of money behind him, or investors, but, that is a huge risk for him to take. Guess, he could go bankrupt if he got a big claim.
    Travelers was founded during the Civil War so they likely had the assets to cover any losses until the auto insurance business picked up.

• Options
    Speaking of disasters and weather, we had quire a show last week. One of the things that impressed me was that a tug boat managed to go right over the dam at Troy.

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Breaking-Bridges-closed-after-boats-get-loose-in-13560816.php