2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,200
    edited January 2019
    @driver100 Make your MB invisible with camouflage.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,027
    I can’t wait for the matte paint and black wheel phase to go away.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,058
    What are those pics of? I don’t see anything.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited January 2019
    It's invisible if you're in a forest area. As compared to to the desert camouflage seen a lot because of the air force base near here. 

The colors were really drab. What a waste of a vehicle 

License plate said powerful.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,858

Again if it is criminal then jail time is a possibility, if jail time is not a possibility it is a civil infraction. If Kentucky is different please provide a citation. Otherwise it's the same as everywhere else.

Show me where a defendant charged with a civil infraction is entitled to the presumption of innocence, trial by jury, the right to remain silent, the right to call and cross-examine witnesses, and where the state must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. States that categorize traffic offenses as civil or administrative violations do so in order to make it much easier to keep the money flowing into their coffers.

in civil courts you are still presumed innocent until proven guilty, you can still remain silent, you don't have to testify, you can call and cross examine witnesses and the like. I know I have done it and seen others do it.

How did that work out for you? :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,016

@vemture,
    My post was directed more towards driver100. There is probably a date code on your car battery, too.
    Why are you buying 3 year batteries? They are the bottom of the line.
    I only buy 8 year batteries from my Ford dealer. They usually last 8 years.

I buy the batteries at stores with a high turnover rate. I started to buy 5 year batteries and now they have 10 year. But, then I saw that just means how long they will last in the package, not how long they will last working. That could make sense, some things are used twice a year...like a back up battery in a clock, and some are used every day...like the LED flashlight I use when I take Trixie out. All I know is I put the batteries in smoke alarms, mark on my calendar when they should be changed, they always go within a year or two at the most. I don't mind changing batteries with an 8 foor ladder....but, I don't do 14 foot ladders anymore.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,880
    I guess that means you aren't coming over any time soon to clean my top gutters? 14' ain't going to come close to cutting it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

Thanks, but I like ours better....I wouldn't trade even:

• Options

driver100 said:

Again if it is criminal then jail time is a possibility, if jail time is not a possibility it is a civil infraction. If Kentucky is different please provide a citation. Otherwise it's the same as everywhere else.

Show me where a defendant charged with a civil infraction is entitled to the presumption of innocence, trial by jury, the right to remain silent, the right to call and cross-examine witnesses, and where the state must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. States that categorize traffic offenses as civil or administrative violations do so in order to make it much easier to keep the money flowing into their coffers.

in civil courts you are still presumed innocent until proven guilty, you can still remain silent, you don't have to testify, you can call and cross examine witnesses and the like. I know I have done it and seen others do it.
    Were the charges dropped.....and so now you are free?

Yes charges were dropped. On more than one occasion I might add. I even beat a red light camera ticket.

Many years ago my son had to go to court for a hit and run that he allegedly did. The guy who got hit didn't get a description of the driver nor the license plate number of the car that hit him. The guy who got hit saw my sons car in a parking lot a few days later and reported it as the one that hit him. 

The prosecutor put forth the evidence and before we could put forth our argument the judge looked at the prosecutor and asked why we were their because they had no evidence that our car was the one that did the hit and run. He then dismissed the charges. 

Why would the prosecutor even bring such a case to court? I can imagine all sorts of libel and abuse of process suits you could bring on all parties involved.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,319
    The camo is dbaggy on an old CLS, but I could deal with it on a G-Wagen.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,477

Why would the prosecutor even bring such a case to court? I can imagine all sorts of libel and abuse of process suits you could bring on all parties involved.

Some prosecutors have no sense- here's an example from today's docket:
    An attorney calls me before lunch and asks if it's possible to work out a case on the afternoon pretrial docket. It's kind of a bizarre domestic case where both parties were into the drug scene and got into a wild argument where property was damaged but there were no serious injuries. So I call the victim and ask her what she'd like to see happen, and all she wants is a no contact order and also wants the defendant to undergo a drug assessment and follow through with any recommendations. I call the attorney back and offer a deal where her client pleads to three misdemeanors and takes 12 months with credit for time served(he has been locked up since August, unable to make bond), no contact, and the drug assessment. The attorney agrees to the deal and then tells me that one of my predecessor's assistants had offered ten years to serve and went on to say that she didn't care what the victim wanted, ten years was the offer.
    This is but one example of the literally dozens of ridiculous cases I am trying to sort out

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,433
    Some prosecutors have no sense- here's an example from today's docket: An attorney calls me before lunch and asks if it's possible to work out a case on the afternoon pretrial docket. It's kind of a bizarre domestic case where both parties were into the drug scene and got into a wild argument where property was damaged but there were no serious injuries. So I call the victim and ask her what she'd like to see happen, and all she wants is a no contact order and also wants the defendant to undergo a drug assessment and follow through with any recommendations. I call the attorney back and offer a deal where her client pleads to three misdemeanors and takes 12 months with credit for time served(he has been locked up since August, unable to make bond), no contact, and the drug assessment. The attorney agrees to the deal and then tells me that one of my predecessor's assistants had offered ten years to serve and went on to say that she didn't care what the victim wanted, ten years was the offer. This is but one example of the literally dozens of ridiculous cases I am trying to sort out
    You’re hitting at the heart of issues in our justice system.  Who really needs to go away vs who needs help and a leg up. 
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,932

@venture,
    I should have said, Why are you settling for 3 year batteries?
    You should upgrade you battery so your wife doesn't get stranded again.
    At least see if there is a date on your new battery.

This is the first car I have put a battery in in a long, long time. I usually trade them after the warranty runs out.

Her work location changed and she is only about 5 minutes from the house now so I suspect it doesn't get a chance to recharge itself.

I'm not going to do anything with it now. Her car will be replaced soon.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    @roadburner and anyone else who want a peak into the justice system, I highly recommend this podcast....

https://serialpodcast.org

I have mentioned in the past how much I love previous ones done on Serial. This one is as good, or better. Well worth a listen.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    driver100 said:

Thanks, but I like ours better....I wouldn't trade even:

Me too!

• Options
    I can't really describe how drab that car looked with the dark colors and the eggshell finish.
    The side photo is too generous. My camera did a lot of compensating and made it lighter but
    it showed the camouflage better.

I suspect the car just came from a custom shop at the end of that road. They have all kinds
    of cars in their for modifications--paint, wheels, etc. I see all kinds of specialty cars
    sitting outside that they have there for work. Phatboyz. https://www.fattboyzdayton.com/index.htm?&referrer=https%3a%2f%2fwww.google.com%2f

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Thinking of redoing that laundry room floor? Maybe more appropriate for a bathroom?

• Options
    The predecessor probably owns stock in the for-profit prison system that continues to make the US a laughingstock compared to other developed nations in terms of crime and punishment.

You’re hitting at the heart of issues in our justice system.  Who really needs to go away vs who needs help and a leg up. 

• Options
    I'd wager the old CLS is a vinyl wrap - those cars aren't worth a huge amount anymore, I can't imagine someone investing in such a complex paint job.

I can't really describe how drab that car looked with the dark colors and the eggshell finish.
    The side photo is too generous. My camera did a lot of compensating and made it lighter but
    it showed the camouflage better.

I suspect the car just came from a custom shop at the end of that road. They have all kinds
    of cars in their for modifications--paint, wheels, etc. I see all kinds of specialty cars
    sitting outside that they have there for work. Phatboyz. https://www.fattboyzdayton.com/index.htm?&referrer=https%3a%2f%2fwww.google.com%2f

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,730

Thinking of redoing that laundry room floor? Maybe more appropriate for a bathroom?

If you put that floor in either of those rooms you'd definitely need a door and a warning sign so you would not be sued if a guest fell in. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    fintail said:

True, a vehicle that really needs to be camouflaged. B)
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,362
    How did that work out for you? :D
    I remember one time someone proved something an officer did that brought all the tickets that officer wrote that day into question. The judge had everyone that got a ticket from that officer that day to come forward and he dismissed them all at one time.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,188

Reminds me portable hole from Bugs Bunny.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I have no idea why. My best guess is an inexperienced prosecutor and the complainant swearing it was the car that hit him. In any case the judge was wise enough to know there was no case there.

• Options
    You're going to have a guy with a beard stand on your laundry room floor?

• Options
    Well the forecast is it to drop below zero around 5PM today and not hit zero until around 3AM Friday morning. That works out to 57 hours of subzero weather.  It's forecasted to be in the mid 20s below on the morning commute both Wednesday and Thursday. 

It remains to be seen if I am the only one stupid enough to come to work.

• Options

Well the forecast is it to drop below zero around 5PM today and not hit zero until around 3AM Friday morning. That works out to 57 hours of subzero weather.  It's forecasted to be in the mid 20s below on the morning commute both Wednesday and Thursday. 

Look at it like this, if when you get there and you see some of your fellow employees, have a stupid party. :(

jmonroe
  • Options
    I’d be staying home. Dog would be lucky to get outside to pee.

• Options
    stickguy said:
    I’d be staying home. Dog would be lucky to get outside to pee.
    I am tempted to stay home however I'm in payroll and once you pay someone they expect you to keep paying them. 

• Options
    Man, what a straight line for a shutdown joke!

• Options

I had listened to 890 WLS on the way home from Menards last night. This morning when I started the car to go get coffee, the station said people were advised NOT to go outdoors tomorrow at all because it will be too dangerous.

Notice I haven't said anything about our forecase for today, tomorrow, and Thursday, which is COLD but pales compared to Chicago, Detroit, and northwest of there.

• Options
    They say Chicago will have wind chill of -50F tomorrow....coldest day in a generation!
    If I was you snake, I would stay in bed....and turn the electric blanket up to FULL SPEED.

• Options

fintail said:

True, a vehicle that really needs to be camouflaged. B)
    A G Wagon.....love 'em or hate 'em!

• Options
    my local Volvo dealer of all places has a used G wagon (they very rarely have non-Volvo used cars). If this price is reasonable, people who buy these are nuts!

https://www.cherryhillvolvocars.com/used/Mercedes-Benz/2014-Mercedes-Benz-G-Class-cherry-hill-nj-0573e12d0a0e0adf62aba4d9ab640888.htm

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The brand new version has improved quite a bit--the older ones seem like a good example of the Emperor's New Clothes on 4 wheels.
  • Options
    From what I have seen, that's a full retail price, but not insanely high. These things have a high depreciation floor, and seem to hold a bit of value relative to their frivolity.
    stickguy said:

my local Volvo dealer of all places has a used G wagon (they very rarely have non-Volvo used cars). If this price is reasonable, people who buy these are nuts!

https://www.cherryhillvolvocars.com/used/Mercedes-Benz/2014-Mercedes-Benz-G-Class-cherry-hill-nj-0573e12d0a0e0adf62aba4d9ab640888.htm

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,932
    stickguy said:

It seems expensive to you because you probably aren't after that rare butterfly.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    venture said:

stickguy said:

It seems expensive to you because you probably aren't after that rare butterfly.
    Hell, he can't even afford a door for his laundry room. :p

jmonroe
  • Options
    We got a door. But still have to see the machines when it’s open.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,225
    driver100 said:

They say Chicago will have wind chill of -50F tomorrow....coldest day in a generation!
    If I was you snake, I would stay in bed....and turn the electric blanket up to FULL SPEED.

Increasing pushback on use of alarming windchill numbers by media weather presenters of late. Good thing, too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/windchill-temperature-better-way-1.4989897

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Makes sense. If it is cold, cover up, and try to avoid getting bare skin blasted by the wind.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    At least his washer and dryer are the same color.

• Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    @isellhondas doesn't think it is important. B)

BTW, did he get lost again or did he ignore his last dues statement?

jmonroe

• Options
    Going....going....gone.

Looks like I need to update my profile to show the Audi sold. I was tired of waiting on Audi for the new pump and instead informed buyers there was a pending recall replacement.

It's been mentioned that manual transmission cars are regarded as sale-proof, but I personally didn't experience any trouble. Between Wednesday and Saturday last week I had a line of 7 people wanting to buy the car, and all mentioned they specifically wanted my car because it was a manual that had been well maintained.

So, I think that was my last manual car. It's a weird feeling knowing I'm highly unlikely to buy another car with a manual transmission....or any transmission at all for that matter.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

It isn't too bad a price since a new one starts at about $125000. Depreciates about the same as most cars, and they would probably take closer to $60000 for it.

I know if you can afford one...you may not mind 15 mpg....but, no matter how much money I had, I don't think I could justify that to myself.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    @isellhondas doesn't think it is important. B)

BTW, did he get lost again or did he ignore his last dues statement?

jmonroe

You value isells judgement over mine?
    We don't even know where his is!

• Options
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Increasing pushback on use of alarming windchill numbers by media weather presenters of late. Good thing, too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/windchill-temperature-better-way-1.4989897
    Windchill is a bit silly...part of the media's way of making everything seem worse than it is. However it does serve a purpose, if for example I was going to be outside playing tennis and it was 48F like it was on Monday, I would dress a lot warmer if there was a strong breeze from the North making it feel more like 40F....which there was. In that way, it does serve a purpose, if used properly.

• Options
    tyguy said:

Going....going....gone.

Looks like I need to update my profile to show the Audi sold. I was tired of waiting on Audi for the new pump and instead informed buyers there was a pending recall replacement.

It's been mentioned that manual transmission cars are regarded as sale-proof, but I personally didn't experience any trouble. Between Wednesday and Saturday last week I had a line of 7 people wanting to buy the car, and all mentioned they specifically wanted my car because it was a manual that had been well maintained.

So, I think that was my last manual car. It's a weird feeling knowing I'm highly unlikely to buy another car with a manual transmission....or any transmission at all for that matter.

Although there are fewer buyers looking for a manual there aren't too many on the market for the people who do want one. Since they are hard to find there is demand.
    Our 2013 A4 was our last manual, after that we bought Mercedes and they don't offer manuals. I miss it, but, the fact is, they have more disadvantages for me than advantages. Love shifting gears on the right roads....but, a pain in city traffic or on crowded roads. And, then there is the broken leg or arm or other health issue problem which could arise...making shifting very difficult.
    Mrs D and I are now used to automatics....don't even think of it much anymore.

• Options
    Forgot...the interior on the G Class is beautifully done. And the high seating position and large windows make it very comfortable.

• Options

Some prosecutors have no sense- here's an example from today's docket:
    An attorney calls me before lunch and asks if it's possible to work out a case on the afternoon pretrial docket. It's kind of a bizarre domestic case where both parties were into the drug scene and got into a wild argument where property was damaged but there were no serious injuries. So I call the victim and ask her what she'd like to see happen, and all she wants is a no contact order and also wants the defendant to undergo a drug assessment and follow through with any recommendations. I call the attorney back and offer a deal where her client pleads to three misdemeanors and takes 12 months with credit for time served(he has been locked up since August, unable to make bond), no contact, and the drug assessment. The attorney agrees to the deal and then tells me that one of my predecessor's assistants had offered ten years to serve and went on to say that she didn't care what the victim wanted, ten years was the offer.
    This is but one example of the literally dozens of ridiculous cases I am trying to sort out
    Wrath of god vs. king Solomon. I’d say your area is in for some positive change.