Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to learn more!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,691

Modern family pic.
    Gramps holding the baby, kids holding their phones. :)

Congrats on the new addition. You're going to have a lot of fun with that little guy. My oldest grandson is now a high school senior who delivers pizza on the weekends. He's a Ford man, got a 10 year old Escape for his first car. I'm sure I know what brand you'll get for that guy when the time comes.

Enjoy.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,010
    Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

Having to fight for a decent price is uncivilized, I don't have the time or patience to play around

I'd negotiate a carton of eggs at the grocery store if I could. I find it fun.

Of course... again a good portion of my job is procurement, so it's kind of ingrained in me at this point.

Do you procure products or services?

I've just engaged with my procurement team, as I have a software subscription that expires at the end of October. Crucial to the running of our business, but we're moving to a new solution in the next year, so trying to figure out how to get the best renewal price for a system we'll be abandoning.
    Both, but I’m heavier into the products end (retail store fixtures)

That’s a tough one, as you lose a little leverage with an extended contract.

Is the new solution with the same vendor, just a different platform? Do they know they are being phased out?

If not I’d see what they offer and if it’s more than you are paying now offer the same price as you were paying for a one year deal. Chances are they will take it or come up with a stronger package.
    Ive already spoken with our account manager - I told her we are migrating to a new solution. Different vendor.

The initial quote was flat to last year. Second quote, which cuts the usage in half from the previous year, is roughly 15% less.

Now, procurement gets to negotiate further for us.
    You are doing it right. Vendor won’t want to exit on bad terms so you’ll get a little more off.

I get emails from various vendors that have lost business almost daily ...

“Anything new we can quote”
    “When are you taking X to bid”
    “We have a new product line”
    Etc etc

Every once in awhile I’ll go back to someone because they sharpen their pencil enough to make it worthwhile or they really were the better vendor.

My colleague who does more of the services end of things (maintenance, some software platforms, copiers, etc) brings all the majors up for rebid either yearly or when the contracts are up.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 618
    I have a question for the Ohio/Kentucky posters here. In a couple of weeks, I'll be towing my Airstream to the factory in Jackson Center, Ohio to have some work done. Then, I'm going south to Marion, NC (about 30 miles east of Asheville). Google maps has me taking I-75 all the way down to I-40. What's towing through Cincy and Lexington going to be like in later October? Is there a rush hour southbound and times to try to avoid mid-week?
    Another option is back through Columbus, then some 2 lane until I-64 to I-77 to I-40. Any opinions?

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Such a nice rig... any chance for some interior shots of that beauty? I've always liked Airstreams.

• Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 288
    Lexington is not a problem compared to Cincinnati. i-64 & I75 are the same for a few miles on the north side of lexington. Always busy on that part but not stop & go unless there is an accident.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,189
    edited October 2019
    sb55 said:

I have a question for the Ohio/Kentucky posters here. In a couple of weeks, I'll be towing my Airstream to the factory in Jackson Center, Ohio to have some work done. Then, I'm going south to Marion, NC (about 30 miles east of Asheville).

I'd avoid north side of Cincy headed southbound from I275 from 7:30 to 8:30. Traffic is heavier and the roads that feed into the 3 lanes cause the usual bump backs like waves in a slinky from the cars having to merge in. Locals jump from lanes that everyone gets into to avoid merging folks where the exit lightens that traffic. Then they cut back over before the new entrance adds cars in right hand lane.

I don't recommend the large circle freeways on I275 around because they are so much longer.

There is construction in spots from I275 to downtown. Listen to radio 700 or 550 for traffic reports and use your GPS if it's active or phone apps to watch for major accidents.

I don't know your pattern but I'd leave JC at 5:00 am to get through Cincy earlier in AM or leave after 8. In case you leave midday from JC, Southbound 75 from bridge on south has heavier traffic in late afternoon but I don't believe it backs and stops like morning traffic heading into downtown northbound out of KY.

My Cincy experience for decades has been early morning driving into city for doctor visits at University Hospital area or for traveling to Pigeon Forge TN.

I75 is 3 lanes through KY other than some miles near south end, and last spring the Transportation Cabinet had lots of miles there under construction.

I haven't seen heavy traffic in Lexington other than late afternoon nortbound. And it was mild.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    When I head down that way, I'll take 275 around Cincinnati if it's around a rush hour or sporting event.

What say you @kyfdx ??
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,936
    @sb55 @PF_Flyer
    If you are coming straight through on I-71 or I-75, it is almost never worth going around on I-275. (as @imidazol97 noted). The temptation is at rush hour, but I-275 is a big commuter highway, as well, and there are no wide open spots, like 20 years ago.

I agree with what he said... Avoid 0730-0900. Anything before or after that should be fine, until at least 3:30 PM.

I haven't driven South of Richmond, KY lately (Exit 87), but from the river to there is smooth sailing (105 miles), with the construction projects mostly finished for the summer.

As @jwm40517 noted, I-75 through Lexington is mostly a by-pass anyway, and no issue.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited October 2019
    kyfdx said:

@sb55 @PF_Flyer
    If you are coming straight through on I-71 or I-75, it is almost never worth going around on I-275. (as @imidazol97 noted). The temptation is at rush hour, but I-275 is a big commuter highway, as well, and there are no wide open spots, like 20 years ago.

I agree with what he said... Avoid 0730-0900. Anything before or after that should be fine, until at least 3:30 PM.

I haven't driven South of Richmond, KY lately (Exit 87), but from the river to there is smooth sailing (105 miles), with the construction projects mostly finished for the summer.

As @jwm40517 noted, I-75 through Lexington is mostly a by-pass anyway, and no issue.

Good to know. My service advisor said the allow about a day and half for the appointment, so with any luck I will be leaving around noon on Tuesday Oct. 22. (FYI, you camp at the factory. They tow your rig into the shop at 7:00 am and bring it back around 4:00 pm). I do have waze, so can use that to help as well as local radio.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I71 is a good SB alternative if I75 is blocked south of I275 on the north of circle.

There are two options when you reach downtown with rejoining I75 at the bridge or taking I471 south to I275 and back west to I75. I275 goes past my favorite road name of all time--"Turkeyfoot Road."

• Options

Did I hear that Northern KY was going to increase speed control on I75/I71 because of the accidents? But I suspect that's primarily NB.

But the speeding on the Kentucky side can be breathtaking. And it's mostly by locals and semi drivers.

You haven't lived until you've had a semi tailgating you NB at 15 over the 55 limit on a long winding downhill slope to the river bottom in Covington/Cincinnati.

One year program.. Targeting aggressive driving. Started yesterday. Looks like NB and SB.

Most people drive way too fast on that stretch, and the problem is mostly with the hills and curves, and limited forward visibility.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,357
    A car nearby struck a pole, now I'm at work sitting in the dark with nothing to do. :(

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    sb55 said:

Good to know. My service advisor said the allow about a day and half for the appointment, so with any luck I will be leaving around noon on Tuesday Oct. 22. (FYI, you camp at the factory. They tow your rig into the shop at 7:00 am and bring it back around 4:00 pm). I do have waze, so can use that to help as well as local radio.

You might hit SB traffic on I75/71 up the long hill in NKY.
    And your time for Lexington might be afternoon heavy traffic going home traffic.

In Dayton you'll see the tornado damage south of MP 58: a large motel on left destroyed and many homes south of that with severe damage and on right homes and a large church being built that has now been stripped back to steel skeleton because of the damage to exterior by tornado.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Such a nice rig... any chance for some interior shots of that beauty? I've always liked Airstreams.

Out of 3000 pictures on my phone, I can't find any picture of the interior. I found this one online. Same a mine except we have darker cushions. It's a 2018 Flying Cloud 30rbt (rear bed with twins).

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008

A car nearby struck a pole, now I'm at work sitting in the dark with nothing to do. :(

Yesterday we had a thunder storm...power out from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. I could read the paper and my book a bit because of some sunlight.......consider reading. Had a cold chicken sandwich for dinner, wanted to eat before it got too dark. We take electricity for granted.....it looked like it was going to be a long boring evening until the lights came back on.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,805

Why not go down to the scene and take some photos for us...since you’ve got nothing to do?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    sb55 said:

tjc78 said:

Out of 3000 pictures on my phone, I can't find any picture of the interior. I found this one online. Same a mine except we have darker cushions. It's a 2018 Flying Cloud 30rbt (rear bed with twins).
    Very nice!

I'm new to the whole trailer thing too. Mine is a park model, so now that it is set I certainly won't be moving it.

We have been loving our weekend retreat, right outside (5 mins) Sea Isle City, NJ

• Options

Why not go down to the scene and take some photos for us...since you’ve got nothing to do?
    Sorry they got the power going within the hour.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

sb55 said:

tjc78 said:

Very nice!

I'm new to the whole trailer thing too. Mine is a park model, so now that it is set I certainly won't be moving it.

We have been loving our weekend retreat, right outside (5 mins) Sea Isle City, NJ
    I still haven't received my key. Just send it via Edmunds secure mail system. While you're at it you might as well send one to @Stick also before he starts complaining too. :o

jmonroe
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,448
    @driver100,
    Cage in the background has 2 guinea pigs. They are almost 7 years old.

@jmonroe1,
    Fords do seem the be the dominant brand in the family. My wife is an outlier, she drives a Lincoln.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,930
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

The search is over.

She got the 2020 Subaru Ascent Limited 8 passenger in crystal white pearl. Lots of new goodies for her to mess with. She seems very happy. :smile:

If I was able to post pictures, I would.

I'll bet you got it from the guy in Holidaysburg, huh?

Good luck with it. Especially trying to find it in the snow. :D

jmonroe
    Yes. Stuckey Subaru in Hollidaysburg. I had the Forester appraised on Saturday with an unsatisfactory result so I left. When I went back in last evening the appraisal was much higher - just where I wanted it. I was a little surprised.

She had a white Chevy minivan many years ago and she only lost it a few times in the snow so she should be OK. With this one though, all she has to do is log in to her MySubaru account on her phone and make it honk its horn a few times. :smile:
    I realize that there aren't many Subie stores in your neck of the woods but I'm curious as to why you went back so soon to get another price for the Forrester without trying Carvana or some other outfit like them. If Stuckey didn't play games with me over $200 for Mrs. j's 2012 Legacy, I would have bought from them. As it turned out while they were playing around that gave Son #1 time to find a used 2018 Legacy that was identical to the 2019 that Stuckey had. Got it from a local used car place about 7 miles from where I live. The 2018 was 6500 bucks less with around 7,200 miles on it so I bought it after selling her car to Carvana at price I still can't believe. When I factored in the price for the 2018 and the knockout price Carvana gave me, I saved just about $8,500 buying used vs. new for the exact same car right down to the color, in and out. This just another case of a dealer playing games and chasing a customer away for a few measly bucks.

jmonroe
    I was real close to pulling the trigger on a Pilot. I stopped to talk to the sales guy I know before going to the Honda store. He pulled up the offer sheet on his computer and mentioned that the appraisal was increased by $1,500. Why the GSM didn't call and tell me that is anyones guess. They were very close to losing a sale.

Maybe they don't care. Who knows?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    tjc78 said:

sb55 said:

tjc78 said:

Very nice!

Thanks. We bought our 1st one used. We splurged on the the 2018, but really use it. I've probably towed it 20K miles since we bought it. Last fall we did a 6 week 6000 mile trip from VT to Albuquerque for the International balloon fiesta, then toured NM, saw family in Memphis and Hickory, NC, then home. We ended up storing it in VA last winter and that worked out great. We took two 3 week trips to the Southeast last winter and early spring and went to Acadia NP (Maine) in June. Since we own a VT summer business, we have to travel in the "off season". But that's OK and doable. We were in Charlotte, NC during the winter of 2018 and it was 8 degrees one morning during one of the "polar vortexes!
    Our friends call their camper "divorce in a can" (but it's little), but we get along better on the road!

• Options
    venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

The search is over.

She got the 2020 Subaru Ascent Limited 8 passenger in crystal white pearl. Lots of new goodies for her to mess with. She seems very happy. :smile:

jmonroe
    Yes. Stuckey Subaru in Hollidaysburg. I had the Forester appraised on Saturday with an unsatisfactory result so I left. When I went back in last evening the appraisal was much higher - just where I wanted it. I was a little surprised.

She had a white Chevy minivan many years ago and she only lost it a few times in the snow so she should be OK. With this one though, all she has to do is log in to her MySubaru account on her phone and make it honk its horn a few times. :smile:
    I realize that there aren't many Subie stores in your neck of the woods but I'm curious as to why you went back so soon to get another price for the Forrester without trying Carvana or some other outfit like them. If Stuckey didn't play games with me over $200 for Mrs. j's 2012 Legacy, I would have bought from them. As it turned out while they were playing around that gave Son #1 time to find a used 2018 Legacy that was identical to the 2019 that Stuckey had. Got it from a local used car place about 7 miles from where I live. The 2018 was 6500 bucks less with around 7,200 miles on it so I bought it after selling her car to Carvana at price I still can't believe. When I factored in the price for the 2018 and the knockout price Carvana gave me, I saved just about $8,500 buying used vs. new for the exact same car right down to the color, in and out. This just another case of a dealer playing games and chasing a customer away for a few measly bucks.

jmonroe
    I was real close to pulling the trigger on a Pilot. I stopped to talk to the sales guy I know before going to the Honda store. He pulled up the offer sheet on his computer and mentioned that the appraisal was increased by $1,500. Why the GSM didn't call and tell me that is anyones guess. They were very close to losing a sale.

So they raised their offer but didn’t tell you? Strange negotiation technique.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Got a call from the dealership and they got the final approval from Hyundai. Service manager said it should be 7 to 10 business days before everything is done.

• Options

Got a call from the dealership and they got the final approval from Hyundai. Service manager said it should be 7 to 10 business days before everything is done.

So now will you keep it another 100k miles?

• Options

@driver100,
    Cage in the background has 2 guinea pigs. They are almost 7 years old.

@jmonroe1,
    Fords do seem the be the dominant brand in the family. My wife is an outlier, she drives a Lincoln.

Driver: oh oh, Guinea Pigs Lifespan is 4 – 8 years.

RE; JMonroe : A Lincoln is a Ford....with lipstick.

• Options

I don't see why not.

• Options

Where can I get a 2011 Sonata with 50000 miles on it....if the engine goes in the next 5 years I get a new engine!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Had trouble with Samsung TV year old. The box for the channels stayed on screen. Did factory reset. No joy. Still showed channel box after changing channels.

Chatted with Samsung support. At first he told me it ws the setup box for the cable connection. But I'm not on cable.

Then he said they don't support the in home antenna. I explained this is rabbit ear antenna. That doesn't push any kind of setting into the TV.

Then he seemed to understand what I was saying... English?

He told me to do a power reset. Just pull plug while set is turned on. Leave off for 60 seconds. Plug back in.
    Never saw that mentioned in my hours worth of reseraching this problem on internet.

Voila. The channel info box now disappears after after a few seconds.

Tech guy said pulling the plug resets cache and some other things...

• Options

Had trouble with Samsung TV year old. The box for the channels stayed on screen. Did factory reset. No joy. Still showed channel box.

Chatted with Samsung support. At first he told me it ws the setup box for the cable connection. But I'm not on cable.

Then he said they don't support the in home antenna. I explained this is rabbit ear antenna. That doesn't push any kind of setting into the TV.

He told me to do a power reset. Just pull plug while set is turned on. Leave off for 60 seconds. Plug back in.
    Never saw that mentioned in my hours worth of reseraching this problem on internet.

I don't love my Samsung TV, but the tech support was great.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    kyfdx said:

Had trouble with Samsung TV year old. The box for the channels stayed on screen. Did factory reset. No joy. Still showed channel box.

I just got a 32 inch Samsung HD 1080 for the master bedroom. Great picture. Now if I can just get someone to take my 28" Sony Trinitron out of my condo, I would be so grateful. It's an antique but it still works perfectly. It is huge compared to these new flat screen TV's. Since I only watch the new TV when I go back to the computer in the master bedroom, it won't get much use.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    A Lincoln is a Ford....with lipstick.
    But some of the MB over here are lipstick on a European taxicab ;)
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,679
    abacomike said:

kyfdx said:

I just got a 32 inch Samsung HD 1080 for the master bedroom. Great picture. Now if I can just get someone to take my 28" Sony Trinitron out of my condo, I would be so grateful. It's an antique but it still works perfectly. It is huge compared to these new flat screen TV's. Since I only watch the new TV when I go back to the computer in the master bedroom, it won't get much use.
    Good luck. No one wants those big heavy things. Is there electronic recycling near you?
    '24 Kia Sportage PHEV
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

The search is over.

jmonroe

jmonroe

So they raised their offer but didn’t tell you? Strange negotiation technique.
    Yeah. I know. I'm starting to think something else was going on. The GSM is a friend of mine which makes it even stranger.

My normal sales guy was not there the day they did the appraisal so one of the other sales people butted in and got the appraisal done as I was waiting to see the GSM. I'm starting to suspect the stand-in salesperson tried to low ball the offer because the GSM followed me outside when I left on Saturday.

I will eventually find out...maybe.

• Options
    abacomike said:

kyfdx said:

I had a heck of a time pushing my old Trinitron over the edge of the dumpster. :open_mouth:

• Options

This may take a while.

• Options
    Cute.

Also beautiful is when a mother is leading her following group of goslings across a road and keeps glaring toward the car that's waiting for her trail of little ones to find their way behind her. This happens on a campus road at Wright State U that we use to get to a favorite restaurant.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    driver100 said:

Where can I get a 2011 Sonata with 50000 miles on it....if the engine goes in the next 5 years I get a new engine!
    I think that the 10 year 100k powertrain warranty doesn't pass on to the second owner. Even if it was the ten years is up in 2021.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    suydam said:

abacomike said:

kyfdx said:

Good luck. No one wants those big heavy things. Is there electronic recycling near you?
    No way I could lift that Trinitron. Must weigh close to 70 lbs

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100 said:

Here you go:

https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/kingston-2011-hyundai-sonata-hybrid/6970494645.html

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,448
    @driver100,
    It my be lipstick, but at least it's good looking lipstick.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

driver100 said:

I think that the 10 year 100k powertrain warranty doesn't pass on to the second owner. Even if it was the ten years is up in 2021.
    I think it does.

“In addition, Hyundai Motor America will increase the warranty for the engine sub-assembly to 10 years/120,000 miles for both original and subsequent owners of 2011 and 2012 Sonatas manufactured at Hyundai's Alabama plant with the 2.0- and 2.4-liter gasoline engines.”

But you’re right, driver100 would have to beat the heck out of it to get failure by 2021.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,187
    A friend bought what must have been one of the last tube Trinitrons just before they went to flat screens - I think it was either a 28” or maybe even bigger if they made something that large, a floor model to boot. That thing weighed a ton. When he finally moved I think he left it behind.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    abacomike said:

suydam said:

abacomike said:

kyfdx said:

No way I could lift that Trinitron. Must weigh close to 70 lbs
    Sorry @Mike, I wouldn't touch that beast even if you sent me airfare. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    ab348 said:

A friend bought what must have been one of the last tube Trinitrons just before they went to flat screens - I think it was either a 28” or maybe even bigger if they made something that large, a floor model to boot. That thing weighed a ton. When he finally moved I think he left it behind.

Sony actually made a 40” tube TV. It was a total beast and got great reviews at the time.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,808
    I bought a super fancy demo model Sony in the early 90s someplace. had PIP, and could show something silly like 10 windows. Built like a tank. Apparently weighed about 165 pounds. Had it upstairs at one point. That was a fun move. And almost lost it bringing it back down, taking out my BIL and the railing in the process. thankfully it did not get away!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

driver100 said:

Here you go:

https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/kingston-2011-hyundai-sonata-hybrid/6970494645.html
    Thanks OF....$8700 for a 2011...hmmmm. Snake says it is covered for 10 years, so if they could guaranty that the motor will blow up before the 10 year warranty in 2021 it might be worth buying. I just won't do my own oil change.

• Options
    edited October 2019

@driver100,
    It my be lipstick, but at least it's good looking lipstick.

I am not disagreeing explorer....I like Lincolns, even if they are a dressed up Ford.
    The great thing about a Lincoln is, they all look good, they have a name associated with luxury, they are pretty good cars, by using Ford parts they generally cost less than other luxury cars.

• Options

driver100 said:

I think it does.

“In addition, Hyundai Motor America will increase the warranty for the engine sub-assembly to 10 years/120,000 miles for both original and subsequent owners of 2011 and 2012 Sonatas manufactured at Hyundai's Alabama plant with the 2.0- and 2.4-liter gasoline engines.”

But you’re right, driver100 would have to beat the heck out of it to get failure by 2021.
    They have a track just a few miles from here.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511

Yeah, he'd actually have to drive somewhere. What a concept.

Plus which, no one is going to kiss the hem of his garment driving such a plebian sled.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester