Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    @driver100

Don't you have a friend who completely rids the car of any germs?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    We loved rhapsody. Never managed to see rocket man though, but wanted to.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    nyccarguy said:

@driver100

That’s the “germ guy”

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Wife and I loved both of those. Watched Rocketman twice.

We are both big Hanks fans. Countless viewings of Gump, Castaway and even the older stuff like Big and Money Pit.

I love Big. Excellent movie. I also really liked Philadelphia.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    nyccarguy said:

@driver100

My friend...who is OCD, was going to invest in a guy who could get rid of 99.9% of the germs in any car. He asked my opinion and you guys said you wouldn't bother. I think that swayed him....that if regular folks didn't care the idea wouldn't fly. I saw an ad on TV that said they would disinfect a car you buy from them 99.9%.

IMHO, what's the point? You get it done, and then somehow, someone gets in who has the virus, and it will be there until it is washed off or time goes by.

We had a case yesterday about 100 miles from us. A nursing home, 34 staff are infected, 9 residents died. That is how it can spread!!!!!!!!!! Disinfecting once isn't really enough.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    suydam said:

Leaving in droves. People come and go in California all the time. It’s the most populated state by far. One of every 8 US residents lives in California. Yes, it’s very difficult for ordinary folks to buy property on the coasts — unless you inherit it, which many do. I don’t mean mansions, I means small 2 and 3 bedroom houses like where I live. Inland of course is cheaper. It’s all relative.

The article I read (can't find it right now) stated that 70,000 to 80,000 CA residents have emigrated to AZ, NV, TX, and NM in the last 12 months due to the rising cost of living. As you mentioned, the article did not mention how many are immigrating to CA each year.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Nursing homes are the perfect storm for spreading a virus like this, and having it do maximum damage. Once it gets in will spread like wildfire. Maybe now they are doing better with segregating but with people that aren’t self sufficient only so much you can do. Especially when staff starts carrying it

• Options
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

We are both big Hanks fans. Countless viewings of Gump, Castaway and even the older stuff like Big and Money Pit.

I love Big. Excellent movie. I also really liked Philadelphia.
    Since you are all bored, this could be interesting. I was at the dog park - in the good old days before COVID, and two guys were talking about their favorite movies. They asked me mine and I gave a few, so I said I would look up the top 100 movies and bring my list next time. Here in no order are some of the movies on the list:
    Jaws, Wolf of Wall St, Airplane, All the Presidents Men, Bullet, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard, Baby Driver, Gladiator, Shawshank Redemption, Spotlight, Wolf of Wall Street, Imitation game, Hidden Figures, Social Network,Mission Impossibles and all James Bonds, Captain Phillips, and that is about half the list.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Nursing homes are the perfect storm for spreading a virus like this, and having it do maximum damage. Once it gets in will spread like wildfire. Maybe now they are doing better with segregating but with people that aren’t self sufficient only so much you can do. Especially when staff starts carrying it

Exactly, and people only started self isolating 2 weeks ago.....that is what we have been doing for 2 weeks since we got back...now we are free turkeys, but, life is almost the same - can run into a store if necessary.
    If self isolating works, and it is our best hope, then the results should start to be noticed, as the numbers will start to subside. Not sure if places like New York will start to subside yet......too many people in close contact and already spreading. A few days ago they showed people going to work on the subway, all packed in....that is crazy!

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited March 2020
    We are able to get in the car and go get drive through food each day to get out of the house.

But Sunday we took a field trip, keeping with the home schooling theme and work-from-home theme. We went to an arboretum that's the old cemetery near downtown Cincy. (Spring Grove Cemetery)

Trees are blooming. Most daffodils, tulips, some ground plants we don't know. Nice drive. Reminded me how much I love the quiet and the weight of my Malibu.

After driving through the hundred or so walkers on the winding paths of the cemetery (has about 2 square miles of area, not all developed yet) for much of an hour, we checked on an Ohio River overlook park with lots of trees and plantings, we headed home. Dayton area is 1 to 2 weeks behind Cincy in ground temperature and the spring blooms...

But it was refreshing. Saw a golf course filled with people. Guess virus spread doesn't occur there as they check in and pay at the club house. Saw the Cincy Premium Outlet mall parking lot empty. Bought Shell RUG for $1.299. Premium was $2.099, $.80 premium over RUG. Some have over $.90 premium now.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676

Ok I know I'm going to survive this apocalypse but I'm not sure my liver will.

Do you have to wear an ascot and a smoking jacket when you drink that fancy stuff? I can relate to the boredom drinking but with much lower class booze. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tjc78 said:

jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

qbrozen said:

Miserable weather and no freelance work meant movie day (mostly).
    1. Bloodshot.
    2. The Hunt
    3. Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    4. Dolittle
    5. Knives Out

1 was OK. Entertaining, although you really gotta bite your tongue for the first 30 mins because most of the incongruences get answered.
    2 was fun. Really amusing.
    3 was not what I expected. A different story involving Fred Rogers rather than a biography of him.
    4 was fairly lousy. Don’t know why RDJ had to put on the awkward voice and accent. Made understanding him difficult.

In between, the wife made me put together something for the boys to do while trapped inside besides TV and video games.
    5 was REALLY good. Very enjoyable. I have a pic but can’t post of course. It is an arcade basketball court thing. Fairly substantial and took a couple hours to assemble.

@qbrozen, I agree with you about Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. We went to see that New Years Eve with 5 other couples before going out to dinner then to my youngest brothers place for the festivities after dinner. About a half hour into the movie I told Mrs. j I had enough.

jmonroe
    A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood reminds me of this;
    Tom Hanks survived 4 years on an island as a castaway 🏝. He spent a year in an airport without being able to leave 🛫. Caught AIDS in Philadelphia 💉. He was in World War II and rescued Private Ryan. He went to Vietnam and rescued Lieutenant Dan 🔫. Was on a boat kidnapped by Somali pirates 🚢; survived Apollo 13 trying to reach the Moon 🚀. Landed a Boeing on the Hudson River✈. If that SOB dies of coronavirus 👑🦠, we are ALL finished!

Don't forget his "ties" with the Vatican in The Divinci Code Movies - I thought those movies were his best next to Saving Private Ryan.
    I thought Castaways was a pretty good 2 hour commercial for Fed Ex.

jmonroe
    How could you not love Castaway?
    Castaway and Philadelphia are incredible movies and a real showcase to Tom Hanks talent.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    stickguy said:

We loved rhapsody. Never managed to see rocket man though, but wanted to.

It’s free right now on Xfinity (at least on whatever package I have)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Spring Grove Cemetery is beautiful....worth the trip and a walk through their gardens. People have their weddings there, too.

Smale Park down by the river is a nice walk, too.

The local golf courses have some weird rules during this crisis. Not sure of all of them, and they keep changing. I heard that carts aren’t allowed and there has to be at least 10 minutes between 2/4 person teams.

I haven’t even pulled my clubs out of the basement yet. Probably will look at this season as lost. My league has already cancelled.

• Options
    Just got a slew of emails from what seems like every dealer I’ve visited over the last 5 years.

My Acura dealer is offering a total “disinfection” of my TLX for $99, including pick up and drop off.

Some pretty incredible deals on just about any brand you can think off. I’ve got emails from Mercedes, BMW, Chevrolet, Ford....nothing from FCA, curiously.

All will negotiate (although they all also say it’s a great time to buy as prices are so low, no negotiations necessary) via email or over the phone. Will do paperwork via email. Drop off my new car to my doorstep.

Interesting times.
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    Car dealers were designated "essential business" by the governor here. The power of political contributions...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Deals to be had. Keeping my life long record of lousy timing intact!

• Options
    This also has been a way to find out how many places have your email. And unsubscribe.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    edited March 2020

We are able to get in the car and go get drive through food each day to get out of the house.

But Sunday we took a field trip, keeping with the home schooling theme and work-from-home theme. We went to an arboretum that's the old cemetery near downtown Cincy. (Spring Grove Cemetery)

Trees are blooming. Most daffodils, tulips, some ground plants we don't know. Nice drive. Reminded me how much I love the quiet and the weight of my Malibu.

After driving through the hundred or so walkers on the winding paths of the cemetery (has about 2 square miles of area, not all developed yet) for much of an hour, we checked on an Ohio River overlook park with lots of trees and plantings, we headed home. Dayton area is 1 to 2 weeks behind Cincy in ground temperature and the spring blooms...

But it was refreshing. Saw a golf course filled with people. Guess virus spread doesn't occur there as they check in and pay at the club house. Saw the Cincy Premium Outlet mall parking lot empty. Bought Shell RUG for $1.299. Premium was $2.099, $.80 premium over RUG. Some have over $.90 premium now.

Which overlook park?

Where Shell for $1.29?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Spring Grove Cemetery is beautiful....worth the trip and a walk through their gardens. People have their weddings there, too.

Weddings.....in a cemetery! :s

• Options
    driver100 said:

Yep!
  • Options
    stickguy said:

This also has been a way to find out how many places have your email. And unsubscribe.

I don’t use “unsubscribe”. It shows the sender that the email is active. I tend to just send them to “junk” folders.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    edited March 2020
    stickguy said:

I'm telling you I actually think you timed this perfectly. On a new car, there is only so deep that a dealer can go. They'll take any offer, but then tell you to pound sand. Again, the supply chain here has stopped so yes, they want to move inventory but they won't continually take losses. I suspect what you'll find is they may move more units around the price you paid where maybe they would have only done a handful before.

The wildcard in your transaction that we cannot predict is the used car market. Right now, captives have off lease cars building up, rental car companies are parking cars all over because of low demand, etc. I think you'll see a temporary surge in inventory on the used car market that may drive values down.

You got a great deal - just enjoy it! I've been washing the cars every week whether they need it or not. It is soothing - give it a try!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

Yes, I enjoyed "Rocketman" as well. Taron Egerton was great in the role as he was in the two "Kingsman" movies. I agree with you about "Big" and "Forest Gump". Tom Hanks is a great actor - but I enjoy his comedy a little more than his dramatic roles.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I have reallly enjoyed "Ozark" on Netflix - Jason Bateman stars in the main character role. I first started watching the series a few years ago and have really gotten into it. Netflix just released season 3. You really have to watch seasons 1 and 2 to really enjoy season 3. I sure hope they continue the series - which I suspect they will. The last scene in season 3 was a bit shocking and left the door open to a 4th season.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

driver100 said:

Yep!
    I remember attending a wedding at a Cemetery in Los Angeles in their chapel upon on a hill. Strange as it seemed at the time, when I asked the groom why he and his fiancee chose a cemetery for their wedding, he told me for several reasons:

1. It was quiet and had great parking facilities with a beautiful chapel.
    2. The Cemetery, at the time, allowed them to bring in the food through their own catering contractor.
    3. As part of the agreement with the cemetery, they were allowed to choose 4 grave plots for their family with perpetual care with the option to purchase additional plots at a reduce price should their family grow beyong 4.
    4. It was less expensive to have their wedding at the cemetery than at some catering hall, even with the 4 grave plots.

After digesting his answers, I still wondered if I would ever consent to holding my children's or grandchildren's wedding at that, or any, cemetery. The answer is a resounding "NO"!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

Just got a slew of emails from what seems like every dealer I’ve visited over the last 5 years.

My Acura dealer is offering a total “disinfection” of my TLX for $99, including pick up and drop off.

Some pretty incredible deals on just about any brand you can think off. I’ve got emails from Mercedes, BMW, Chevrolet, Ford....nothing from FCA, curiously.

All will negotiate (although they all also say it’s a great time to buy as prices are so low, no negotiations necessary) via email or over the phone. Will do paperwork via email. Drop off my new car to my doorstep.

Interesting times.

Ha ha some dealers never give up. Is that like the fabric “protection” package for $299 that is really a $10 can of Scotch Guard?

Wonder how they disinfect, spray some bleach on the seats?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

stickguy said:

I don’t use “unsubscribe”. It shows the sender that the email is active. I tend to just send them to “junk” folders.
    Speaking about your "junk email folder", if you're curious, that's where you'll find solicitations from FCA. All junk email folders are automatically set up to send stuff from FCA there. I don't think you can even defeat that setting.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    From real businesses like car dealers unsubscribe is fine. Just want to donut with the iffy unsolicited crap. Just delete that and usually it stops eventually.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited March 2020

driver100 said:

Yep!
    They have an annual classic car show there as well. Heavily attended. Hundreds. Including a collection of hearses. The cemetery has a funeral home that's new and serves as the center of the show with its circular parking area surrounding the building and open grassy areas alongside that building. Later in the afternoon the car owners can take a cruise as a group through the cemetery.

One of the pic in the link shows a marathon of runners going under the bridge at the entrance.
    Yesterday an owner of a Z was photographing it against the backdrop of one of the ponds.
    It's a vibrant lively arboretum.

http://www.springgrove.org/gallery.aspx

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    stickguy said:

But didn't you get a much better trade $ number when you checked last week? After this mess winds down, I bet that one might get a better deal on a new vehicle, but I think that trade $'s will plummet.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Yep!
    I remember attending a wedding at a Cemetery in Los Angeles in their chapel upon on a hill.

After digesting his answers, I still wondered if I would ever consent to holding my children's or grandchildren's wedding at that, or any, cemetery. The answer is a resounding "NO"!
    The 4 reasons given for holding a wedding at a cemetery are all good ones. I wonder about number 3 though;
    3. As part of the agreement with the cemetery, they were allowed to choose 4 grave plots for their family with perpetual care with the option to purchase additional plots at a reduce price should their family grow beyond...

With so many people eventually getting divorced, you may not get full use of those 4 plots.

• Options

Interesting times.

Ha ha some dealers never give up. Is that like the fabric “protection” package for $299 that is really a $10 can of Scotch Guard?

Wonder how they disinfect, spray some bleach on the seats?
    No need to use bleach!

Lysol Disinfectant Spray
    Product Features
    Kills 99.9% of fungi, viruses, and bacteria
    Kills cold & flu viruses*
    Disinfects hundreds of surfaces in your home
    Sanitizes soft surfaces*
    They just spray your car seats with Lysol.

• Options
    Here's a good DIY project for some people. Not something I would attempt though.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    abacomike said:

I agree with you about "Big" and "Forest Gump". Tom Hanks is a great actor - but I enjoy his comedy a little more than his dramatic roles.

I am not a huge movie-goer but of course have many to view on Prime and elsewhere on cable. I agree with this sentiment. His comedy roles have been very good. But I find his dramatic turns often come across as preachy or cloying. Just something about how he plays those parts I guess.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    "The Money Pit" is a classic from that era when there was probably a memorable movie in theaters each week.
  • Options
    ab348 said:

abacomike said:

I agree with you about "Big" and "Forest Gump". Tom Hanks is a great actor - but I enjoy his comedy a little more than his dramatic roles.

I am not a huge movie-goer but of course have many to view on Prime and elsewhere on cable. I agree with this sentiment. His comedy roles have been very good. But I find his dramatic turns often come across as preachy or cloying. Just something about how he plays those parts I guess.
    I would have said the same, but when he plays roles in Captain Phillips, Miracle on the Hudson, Da Vici Code and especially Bridge of Spies that makes him a very talented serious actor too.. Comedy is hard because you need timing, the right expressions etc., but, he carries that off fine, but he plays his serious roles to perfection too...that really places him in another category. One I really liked was Catch me if You Can. That is one of my favorite type of movies, I learn something about a real person, but, it is enjoyable and fun to watch......I like to feel better after I see a movie than I did before I watched it.

• Options

Interesting times.

I feel slighted. I only get offers from my Ford dealer who is still trying to sell me a 2019 Mustang. I can’t believe there are many left in stock almost two model years later.

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    OK guys, if you want to see a good comedy set you DVR for this coming Sunday (4-5-20) to TCM at 10 PM to see "The Thrill of it All" with Doris Day and James Garner. No shoot-em-up bang bang just a good comedy the way they used to make em in 1963. I know, some of you weren't around back then but good never goes out of style.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Cast Away is Hank's best film. That is all. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I just got a call from my twin brother - as you all know, his oldest son (my nephew) got his MD from Harvard and is currently head of cardiology at a hospital in Raleigh, NC - and is now suffering from covid-19. He obviously contracted it from the hospital (he sees all his patients at the hospital where he has his offices) or one of his patients.

He is self-quarantined at his home in one of his son's bedrooms. His wife, a nurse, is caring for him. My brother said that if he starts to have trouble breathing, he'll go into the hospital.

It's the doctors and nurses and first responders who are putting their lives on the line to combat this virus. This is serious stuff!!!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I had to run over to the eye doctor this morning because of Intermittent double vision when I awaken in the morning or waking up from a brief nap. It goes away after a minute or two. He said it has something to do with blood supply to the left eye - he stated that my surgery was only two weeks ago and the eye is still healing. He said it's nothing to worry about so long as it resolves itself after a short time.

He wants me back in two weeks to give me an RX for glasses.

I am just worried that I could have exposed myself to the virus there in the waiting room. Scary out there!

It was the first time I've been out of my condo in a week.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    jmonroe said:

OK guys, if you want to see a good comedy set you DVR for this coming Sunday (4-5-20) to TCM at 10 PM to see "The Thrill of it All" with Doris Day and James Garner. No shoot-em-up bang bang just a good comedy the way they used to make em in 1963. I know, some of you weren't around back then but good never goes out of style.

jmonroe

Wow! I never took you for a Doris Day fan....but, I am impressed. It actually gets good reviews on Rottentomatoes 84%, and it sounds like a fun movie....no violence, no car chase, no digital clock counting down until the bomb goes off. If it is available here I will definitely watch it.

• Options
    abacomike said:

I am just worried that I could have exposed myself to the virus there in the waiting room. Scary out there!

Mike, sorry to hear about your nephew - the medical people on the frontlines are very brave, hope he will be OK.

Glad to hear your eye problem was just temporary, sounds like everything is still on track.

You are probably OK, but try not to take chances. The virus can only enter via mouth, eyes or nose, if you go out always touch your face, wash your hands good for 20 seconds as soon as possible. All surfaces hold the virus, some better than others.....don't touch things if possible, and wash hands if you do.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Like some of you, I also like a lot of films with Tom Hanks. Here's my personal top 10 or so list....

Saving Private Ryan
    Philadelphia
    Cast Away
    The Toy Story movies
    Bridge of Spies
    A League of Their Own
    Sully
    The Post
    Catch Me if you Can
    A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Big
    Apollo 13
    The Da Vinci Code
    Road to Perdition
    Cloud Atlas
    etc.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    Hi: Donating blood tomorrow at.....Ferrari of New England!
    And, here's a very cool charitable site, I've donated:

https://offtheirplate.org/

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Cast Away is Hank's best film. That is all. ;)

It would have been if he didn't already make Gump!

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    Cast Away is Wilson's best film, too.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

Cast Away is Wilson's best film, too.

He won best supporting actor.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    abacomike said:

I had to run over to the eye doctor this morning because of Intermittent double vision when I awaken in the morning or waking up from a brief nap. It goes away after a minute or two. He said it has something to do with blood supply to the left eye - he stated that my surgery was only two weeks ago and the eye is still healing. He said it's nothing to worry about so long as it resolves itself after a short time.

Our docs have switched to telemeetings for non urgent cases. I had one with my doc this morning for an eye infection. Worked really well. I would not be in a doctors lobby now for anything!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere