Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    My son has ratted me out before too!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited April 2020
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

IDK what luxury really even is anymore. So many cars are just so loaded with creature comforts and tech.

In all reality is a Sierra Denali not as “Luxurious” as a BMW 3?

Of course, it is subjective, but I think of luxury as way more than just features. I actually don't care about features because those are easy for manufacturers to add. My Ioniq has more tech than our X2, but no way in hell anyone would ever mistake the Hyundai for a luxury vehicle. Luxury, to me, comes down to the quality of materials and engineering effort. Cars that I find luxurious have high-quality leather, better sound deadening, better suspension, details where most skimp out (example of this would be stitched leather on dash areas in footwells, carpeting in storage bins, LEDs throughout, etc), not to mention that overall vault-like feel/sound.
    Well said, it is subjective. I think some people put more emphasis on features versus the things you described.
    Put me in the "Luxury is quality, not features" category, squarely.

You can have lots of cheap and lousy features. For example, you could have a 12-speaker sound system, and all 12 speakers could be garbage. I'd take a 4 speaker system with 4 great speakers any day of the week and twice on Sunday
    compared to a car filled with junk.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

abacomike said:

suydam said:

abacomike said:

suydam said:

@abacomike — you do realize that the United States has the third highest number of deaths in the world from this virus, and the numbers are climbing rapidly?

I do! So what's your point?
    We’re not exactly the best place to be right now.
    Then where would you prefer living - where is it better than here? Russia? Britain? China? Japan? South Korea? Mexico? South Africa? Jamaica? Aruba? Tell me where it's better than here.

About 2% of our population have succumbed to this virus and died - 80+% of the victims over age 65 with pre-existing medical problems. The world average death toll is over 5%. Furthermore, the data and statistics coming out of Asia and the Middle East are questionable to say the least. So the death toll worldwide could be as high as 7-8%.

If I get this virus, there is no other country I would rather be living in other than the US because of our healthcare system. Yes, we were caught with our pants down, but so was the rest of the world.

About 2% of our population have succumbed to this virus and died? That would be close to 5 million people.

Edited to add: the percentage of the US population that has died of this is 0.00138% the percentage of confirmed cases is 0.0652%
    Don't tell me you don't believe what comes out of China. At what position in that line are you? I can't see you either ahead of me or behind me.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

This is quite timely to the times right now:

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/chp-officers-say-less-traffic-is-leading-to-more-speeding-drivers-during-coronavirus-pandemic

"Latulippe (CHP OFFICER) said officers have also noticed a decrease in car crashes, which has resulted in more officers paying attention to speed.

"Since there's less traffic our crashes have gone down, those same officers that were out there, that number hasn't changed so now your odds of getting the tickets is more," he said.

Looks to me like the powers that be saw revenues were down from tickets/citations, and gave the order to continue the revenue stream.

Crashes are down, safety is up, but revenues must not be allowed to be down!

And yes, I"m aware less vehicle miles are being driven right now. Still, I'm driving some stretches of freeway I normally have to go 0-5 MPH in at 45-90 MPH now during rush hours. These speeds up to 18 multiples higher than usual average speeds during the commute should outweigh the safety benefits of lighter traffic, should it not? ASKING the "speed kills" crowd?

I think WHO is responsible for regurgitating some questionable figures and equations on the risks of speeds for causing a collision. Surely a multiplier of 18 should put me in the "certain to have a crash category".

Lastly, one thing the CHP Officer said I"m not buying:

"Part of social distancing is you driving safely so I'm not forced to stop you."

No one is forcing him to do a thing. He has perfectly capable discretion not to be a revenue generator if he chooses to do so.

Still, I'm glad for the people going 100+ keeping them busy since he did point out this (repeating for emphasis):

"Since there's less traffic our crashes have gone down, those same officers that were out there, that number hasn't changed so now your odds of getting the tickets is more," he said.

So happy to see that improved safety and less crashes makes for more revenue generation time! How quaint! :disappointed:

Crashes are down but CHP has stated that it's the fender benders are down, they are seeing more severe crashes.

If you want to avoid the so called revenue generators slow down. It's not that hard to understand.
    How are you defining "fender bender?" Anything short of an ambulance or fatality? I don't think the CHP responds to "fender benders" as per my definition, which would be limited to front or rear bumper damage. Based on my experience, unless there is an injury, the CHP don't want to be bothered.
    I am not defining fender bender, it was a term used by the CHP. My guess is it's normal usage is a minor accident that all cars can safely drive off after the accident. Are you saying fender benders dont require a police report in CA?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

suydam said:

abacomike said:

suydam said:

@abacomike — you do realize that the United States has the third highest number of deaths in the world from this virus, and the numbers are climbing rapidly?

Then where would you prefer living - where is it better than here? Russia? Britain? China? Japan? South Korea? Mexico? South Africa? Jamaica? Aruba? Tell me where it's better than here.

About 2% of our population have succumbed to this virus and died - 80+% of the victims over age 65 with pre-existing medical problems. The world average death toll is over 5%. Furthermore, the data and statistics coming out of Asia and the Middle East are questionable to say the least. So the death toll worldwide could be as high as 7-8%.

If I get this virus, there is no other country I would rather be living in other than the US because of our healthcare system. Yes, we were caught with our pants down, but so was the rest of the world.

About 2% of our population have succumbed to this virus and died? That would be close to 5 million people.

Edited to add: the percentage of the US population that has died of this is 0.00138% the percentage of confirmed cases is 0.0652%
    Don't tell me you don't believe what comes out of China. At what position in that line are you? I can't see you either ahead of me or behind me.

jmonroe
    I am just using US stats. I'll believe Nigerian princes before I'll believe Chinas government.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    edited April 2020

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

This is quite timely to the times right now:

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/chp-officers-say-less-traffic-is-leading-to-more-speeding-drivers-during-coronavirus-pandemic

"Latulippe (CHP OFFICER) said officers have also noticed a decrease in car crashes, which has resulted in more officers paying attention to speed.

Looks to me like the powers that be saw revenues were down from tickets/citations, and gave the order to continue the revenue stream.

Crashes are down, safety is up, but revenues must not be allowed to be down!

And yes, I"m aware less vehicle miles are being driven right now. Still, I'm driving some stretches of freeway I normally have to go 0-5 MPH in at 45-90 MPH now during rush hours. These speeds up to 18 multiples higher than usual average speeds during the commute should outweigh the safety benefits of lighter traffic, should it not? ASKING the "speed kills" crowd?

I think WHO is responsible for regurgitating some questionable figures and equations on the risks of speeds for causing a collision. Surely a multiplier of 18 should put me in the "certain to have a crash category".

Lastly, one thing the CHP Officer said I"m not buying:

"Part of social distancing is you driving safely so I'm not forced to stop you."

No one is forcing him to do a thing. He has perfectly capable discretion not to be a revenue generator if he chooses to do so.

Still, I'm glad for the people going 100+ keeping them busy since he did point out this (repeating for emphasis):

So happy to see that improved safety and less crashes makes for more revenue generation time! How quaint! :disappointed:

Crashes are down but CHP has stated that it's the fender benders are down, they are seeing more severe crashes.

If you want to avoid the so called revenue generators slow down. It's not that hard to understand.
    How are you defining "fender bender?" Anything short of an ambulance or fatality? I don't think the CHP responds to "fender benders" as per my definition, which would be limited to front or rear bumper damage. Based on my experience, unless there is an injury, the CHP don't want to be bothered.
    I am not defining fender bender, it was a term used by the CHP. My guess is it's normal usage is a minor accident that all cars can safely drive off after the accident. Are you saying fender benders dont require a police report in CA?
    Without an injury you'll have a hell of a time prying a CHP officer to leave their favorite adjacent speed trap revenue generating spot to come help you with a fender bender police report! I believe most Californians skip this step, but I could be wrong, I don't have a lot of experience getting into fender benders, and particularly not out on the freeway.

The only collision I've ever had in my lifetime on the freeway was when a La Mesa PD officer on a Harley splitting lanes/changing lanes behind me hit my stopped (0.00 MPH non-moving) car from behind (rear-ender). First he called his boss over to come to the scene. Then, since it was on the freeway, they realized the CHP needed to make the report, so it was quite the scene, but I wasn't in handcuffs! :smile: So this was an oddball situation. If a civilian had hit me, I doubt a report would have been made.

I do know for certain the Escondido PD told me to basically "POUND SAND" when I asked for an officer to come out to my non-injury S4 collision. They flat-out stated unless someone is injured, our policy is we're too lazy to come out to help you. OK, I inserted the too lazy part, but they explicitly told me their policy was "no injury - no police report." Could it be that was a short-lived policy? Maybe.....

I remember thinking the next time I wanted a police report I better pretend I'm injured.

My wife was hit on the freeway.... I'll ask her if she remembers being blown off by the CHP for a police report. Pretty sure all you get is a call-in "incident number." All that proves is you called in an incident.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the sense that the TLX is kind of like Mercury or Buick used to be - better-equipped and trimmed than a mainstream car, but not really a luxury car either, sort of an in-betweener. That is a tough segment to be in these days, especially with brands like Hyundai that load on the features in their standard models like so much icing.

From experience I'd say Hyundai's are pretty good but the buyer has to make that decision not a salesman. Like I said, "pretty good" untill you do your own oil changes.

jmonroe

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    abacomike said:

abacomike said:

suydam said:

abacomike said:

suydam said:

Hmmm, I didn't think my math was that bad. 6000 (deaths) divided by 245,000 (testing positive) is 2.4% died out of those who have/had the virus. My apologies - cabin fever must be getting to me.

6000 divided by 350,000,000 is .0016%. That sounds better! 🤪😜
    Just in the U.S, approx 257,000 infected (and rising because no one knows how many really are infected as we don’t have enough tests to find out). Of that, approx 6,600 have died and rising dramatically.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Today our oldest was pestering the younger to the point of tears and when the oldest was given his punishment he complained that "we don't let him have any fun in this house anymore and we've ruined his day". For the record his punishment was 3 less hours of technology today. Clearly we are tyrants.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Does NJ actually have some kind of restriction about driving without a special card now? Plenty of people were out driving around today when I went out shopping.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    The humanity, @pensfan83, the humanity.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    abacomike said:

Hmmm, I didn't think my math was that bad. 6000 (deaths) divided by 245,000 (testing positive) is 2.4% died out of those who have/had the virus. My apologies - cabin fever must be getting to me.

6000 divided by 350,000,000 is .0016%. That sounds better! 🤪😜
    The flaw in the numbers use here (figures never lie, but liars always figure) is that the total number of the population who had had this virus and thought it was a regular cold or flu (which it is) is not yet known.

It will be known when the antibody tests are in common use; I heard there's at least one now soon available. Dr. Birx had asked for these in one of the great briefings.

It's my opinion this virus acts much like others except it seems to play more on those with aged or weakened immune systems. I heard a realistic discussion recently as to how that is hypothesized to be working. Another error in the numbers is that many older folks would have succumbed with Flu A or Flu B or a bad cold with their existing conditions--i.e., they could have gotten pneumonia and passed. But because they show they have contacted the China virus, they are being counted as its victim, where their death really wouldn't have been a unique result.

I wouldn't normally have posted into the misuse of data here, but the political misuse of the topic is really sad. Even to false claims as to what some media person said or didn't say is wrong. It doesn't belong here. My next post will be about cars and how GM's Malibu rear seat was over emphasized.

The data in the epidemiology has been emphasized to scare people into behaving in a way to minimize spread. Telling them to go out on the town in NYC or NO was the wrong thing to do for any highly contagious flu virus.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I just came back from Home Depot where the State of Ohio's health department star has cracked down. They can only have 100 people in the store at one time. The assistant manager wouldn't let my wife exit the door to the handicapped parking because that had to be an entrance only so they could count folks in and everyone had to go to the center door to checkout and exit and then walk all the way to the handicapped parking for my wife's car. Luckily the store manager was on the entrance only station counting entry folks and thought it would not be a health hazard for my wife to push her empty cart out to the car. I took all the stuff and checked out at the middle of the store, being the compliant jovial fellow that I am.

At that HD and others, wife checks out at the returns register and goes out the entrance doors to the adjacent parking, especially when the garden center gates are closed and no registers open out there.

I can't wait to see if Kroger is counting how many people are in the local store to reduce contact and maintain "social distancing."

• Options
    tjc78 said:

My son has ratted me out before too!

Well, I seem to be in pretty good company but that was a long time ago. Now my sons know what it's like. Good for them. Like they say, "paybacks a ..." You'll feel better but it will take a while. :(

jmonroe

• Options
    Can we please stop calling this China virus?
  • Options
    I have to smile about the TLX rear seat talk. It sounds like a tight rear seat is no problem.

When the Gen 8 Malibu, '13-16, was involved on the Episolon II chassis used also by Opel and Saab, the rear seat numbers were very important, even though the rear seat room, was greater then the HyKia models or equal. I don't recall which. But the media had declared the rear seat not as roomie as the previous Gen 7 Malibu, therefore it was bad.

I had the TLX on my list of ones to look at since I probably won't get another Malibu due to options packaging forcing things I don't want on the buyer. But I'll have to skip a TLX now that I know its rear seat is tight.
    :)

• Options
    The rear seat isn’t tight though. It is just fine. Maybe not as much leg room as a limo but plenty for a normal adult. But more important to me is that there is plenty of headroom, and unlike many cars, a very comfortable seat. I would rather have that than be able to stick my legs straight out in front of me!

If my knees don’t hit (they don’t) and I can put my toes under the front seat (I can) that is all I need for legroom.

But having to crane my neck to avoid the ceiling, or having a seat that feels like a park bench, that would be a problem.

• Options
    And I just checked. No special driving permit needed. Good thing because wife and I are taking the new car out cruising tomorrow. Needs exercise. Will stop at produce junction first to get a few things to use as a cover story. And better grab more beer and claws.

Speaking of that, heard last night (on Kimmel) that since this all started, liquor sales (beer, whine, everything) are way way up. Like 50%. So some places are making money! Though that might only be retail. Obviously bars and restaurants are not buying supplies now.

• Options
    I don't know who said it's tight either but @stickguy is right on, there's plenty of room.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    I love conspiracy theorists B)

I'd trust numbers out of some (first world by association only) states just as much as those from China.

No worries though, a certain son in law with no real world qualifications is on the case. Problem solved. This is just a political hoax, nothing more than a common flu.

Oh, and it's the "bat virus" - mother nature playing a dirty trick for humanity's deranged eating habits. I just wish it would only take down those who defy logic. Amuses me that the "law and order" set seems to be the most against heeding lawful orders when it comes to caution during this event. The cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics from that group are deafening.

I wouldn't normally have posted into the misuse of data here, but the political misuse of the topic is really sad. Even to false claims as to what some media person said or didn't say is wrong. It doesn't belong here. My next post will be about cars and how GM's Malibu rear seat was over emphasized.

The data in the epidemiology has been emphasized to scare people into behaving in a way to minimize spread. Telling them to go out on the town in NYC or NO was the wrong thing to do for any highly contagious flu virus.

• Options
    I understand Germany has been doing a remarkably proactive job of trying to keep this mess under control.

The US is easily not the worst place to be right now, but I don't know of many first worlders lining up to move here for healthcare. Maybe this crisis will spur some change on a few fronts.
    abacomike said:

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited April 2020

I don't think anyone here is accusing any particular country of deliberately starting the virus. This thing is like the flu or a cold., they are all coronaviruses. Difference is no one has seen this particular coronavirus so we have no immunity to it. No country is to blame. Sometimes they just happen.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Exactly right - so it should be called by its name - COVID-19 or Coronavirus.
  • Options
    Did someone mention a tight rear seat?

• Options
    Italy is going through a rough patch. Shout out to the Italians, as that Country makes some really fine products, from Maui Jim sunglasses, to fantastic forged wheels:

Love the chiseled structural I-Beam type shape of each spoke. Because every gram counts.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    suydam said:

As for this virus primarily attacking the old who were ready to keel anyway, I know a 35-year old formerly healthy man who is on a ventilator right now. Hospitals are pleading with people to understand that ANY age group is at risk. No one is immune. We don’t yet know why some get such serious versions and some don’t. Until we do, EVERYONE should stay home.

Here's hoping your friend or acquaintance gets better suydam.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    pensfan83 said:

I don't know who said it's tight either but @stickguy is right on, there's plenty of room.

I think the word I used to describe the rear legroom in the TLX was "adequate." As you say, it's just fine in the TLX back seat with (looking it up now) the official measurement of 34.5 inches of legroom. But the current Accord has 40.5 inches of rear legroom, which is obviously quite a bit more. The new Accord is almost limo like in the back seat. But the new and larger BMW 3-series has about the same amount of room at the TLX as well. Anyway, I've had a six foot tall person in the back seat of my TLX, and they were comfortable.

One thing that's possible, which my fellow TLX owners may possibly have already tried, is that if you have someone in the back seat, but no one in the front passenger seat, then if want you can move that power front passenger seat very far forward. And by that I mean really far forward, to the point where there really wouldn't be room for a front seat passenger. But then suddenly you do actually have limo-like room for that rear seat passenger. I sometimes need to transport one of my grown kids from Louisville to Lexington for a job, and because of a disability they can't drive (constant migraines with visual auras), and so sitting in the back seat is better for getting computer programming work done on the way and somewhat minimizing sunlight. Anyway, just a small little trick that probably no one else will ever need to use. But I was thinking, as I was moving that front passenger power seat farther forward than I ever thought it would move, that the Acura engineers had decided to give the owner more flexibility by giving that seat greater travel than you'd expect, and greater travel than I think is found on some other cars.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Same here. Build and material quality are a big part of it, rather than simple features. It's very subjective, but you know it when you see it, as someone else said. I think design is important too - some of it ages better than others.

The E wagon had its first birthday with me this week. Stupid expensive and frivolous. but after a year it still feels special. I am not looking for attention, but others like it too - people still comment on the LED widescreen gauges, the interior receives compliments (a "luxury" car with Tex, but people are surprised it isn't leather when I tell them), and even the service adviser had praise for the car when it went in for its annual service. It hadn't visited the dealer for any work since I took delivery, virtually flawless. The interior and exterior quality combined with the serene yet powerful driving experience make it luxury, to me anywway.

andres3 said:

Put me in the "Luxury is quality, not features" category, squarely.

You can have lots of cheap and lousy features. For example, you could have a 12-speaker sound system, and all 12 speakers could be garbage. I'd take a 4 speaker system with 4 great speakers any day of the week and twice on Sunday
    compared to a car filled with junk.

• Options
    I don’t pay attention to legroom numbers. Often misleading. Variable depending on front seat travel, and real world where that would be set. Plus makes a big difference how high the rear seat is, so if passengers sit up with legs pointing down, or sit real low with legs having to stretch out more.

• Options
    fintail said:

....The E wagon had its first birthday with me this week. Stupid expensive and frivolous. but after a year it still feels special. I am not looking for attention, but others like it too - people still comment on the LED widescreen gauges, the interior receives compliments (a "luxury" car with Tex, but people are surprised it isn't leather when I tell them)....

What color of MB-Tex does your car E wagon have? I think that's good stuff, and obviously it'll last longer than leather. I see from the Mercedes Benz build-you-own website that the E-wagon starts at about $70k, but it's a great looking wagon.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    Same here. Build and material quality are a big part of it, rather than simple features. It's very subjective, but you know it when you see it, as someone else said. I think design is important too - some of it ages better than others.
    Having been privileged to ride in and drive a number of luxury brands (thanks @breld!), I would agree. The craftsmanship, attention to detail and quality of materials used differentiate an Audi or MB from my Subaru or the Hyundais that many family members own.

Yes, it's easy to pack a lot of features into modern cars, but the feel of the steering wheel or switch gear when you use them is noticable.

Should I ever get another car for myself, I'd certainly like to get a premium brand, even if it's an Acura. The test drives I've taken in the TLX lead me to believe it's a better experience than an Accord or Civic.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguy said:

I don’t pay attention to legroom numbers. Often misleading. Variable depending on front seat travel, and real world where that would be set. Plus makes a big difference how high the rear seat is, so if passengers sit up with legs pointing down, or sit real low with legs having to stretch out more.

Yes, numbers sometimes are deceiving, but in this case if you ride in the back seat of this generation of Accord, and then get in the back seat of a TLX, you'll immediately sense the difference in legroom. The TLX is just fine, as we've said, but the current Accord is almost limo-like.
  • Options
    If you like brown, I have the car for you:

Yeah, it is definitely dear, but this is my one big frivolity in life, and these are the good old days :)

benjaminh said:

What color of MB-Tex does your car E wagon have? I think that's good stuff, and obviously it'll last longer than leather. I see from the Mercedes Benz build-you-own website that the E-wagon starts at about $70k, but it's a great looking wagon.

• Options
    fintail said:

If you like brown, I have the car for you...

Wow, that is a fantastic interior!++ What other options do you have?

I owned a station wagon myself once. It was a 1969 Pontiac Catalina Safari Wagon that looked like this. It was so huge it could hold 9 passengers easily. But my favorite feature was the magic two-way tailgate.

• Options
    The switchgear does a lot for me. A nice steering wheel does a lot too, a small expense can go a long way, tactile feel has value. The way doors feel and sound when being opened/closed can do something as well.
    Michaell said:

Having been privileged to ride in and drive a number of luxury brands (thanks @breld!), I would agree. The craftsmanship, attention to detail and quality of materials used differentiate an Audi or MB from my Subaru or the Hyundais that many family members own.

Yes, it's easy to pack a lot of features into modern cars, but the feel of the steering wheel or switch gear when you use them is noticable.

Should I ever get another car for myself, I'd certainly like to get a premium brand, even if it's an Acura. The test drives I've taken in the TLX lead me to believe it's a better experience than an Accord or Civic.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Michaell said:

....Should I ever get another car for myself, I'd certainly like to get a premium brand, even if it's an Acura. The test drives I've taken in the TLX lead me to believe it's a better experience than an Accord or Civic.

I've ridden in my friend's Lexus ES, and in the last generation BMW 3-series, and I think the Acura TLX is just as nice as those inside. Different, obviously, but just as nice. I do think a Mercedes Benz C-class is a step up inside from those three cars.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Thanks. The car is not a full load, but has some good options - most notably driver's assistance/distronic, widescreen gauges, pano, warmth and comfort (heated steering wheel/armrests), surround view, seldom-seen 19" wheels, lighting package. It would have been cool to have HUD and acoustic glass, but those are rare, and this was a car on the lot.

Those old wagons are always cool, funny how what was once unloved is now seen for their true style. I also like the 70s GM clamshell wagons, make mine a Buick with Buick rally wheels.
    benjaminh said:

Wow, that is a fantastic interior!++ What other options do you have?

I owned a station wagon myself once. It was a 1969 Pontiac Catalina Safari Wagon that looked like this. It was so huge it could hold 9 passengers easily. But my favorite feature was the magic two-way tailgate.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Catching up.

@Stickguy,
    Yes, good bit of traffic today. Ordered a new grill and spreader and Home Depot was pretty busy when I picked it up.

@imidazol97
    Our local HD in NJ had a 100 person limit posted too. They had their lumber entrance closed and implemented 6’ markings to keep people apart.

@pensfan83 @28firefighter
    We have allowed our kids a little more screen time than usual. I keep trying to get them outside as much as possible or have them play with other toys, but it’s not easy.

@fintail
    Love the interior of that wagon. It really works with the white exterior. Not sure what other color outside that would work with. Does Mercedes have a metallic brown like BMW?

• Options
    Oh forgot. I will add that the TLX is plenty big in the rear. A friend of mine has one and I fit fine back there (6’ tall)

• Options
    @tjc78 With my wife and I both working full-time, the screen time limits have been lifted. I simply don't have a choice, particular when we have meeting time overlaps.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Lunch time Costco run to get whatever supplies I could for GFs 80yo mother. Costco employee helps you wipe down cart with sanitizer, 6' tape marking on the floor everywhere in the store. Most people wearing masks and gloves, trying to physical distance. Plenty of TP, but no paper towels or disinficting wipes. MOther will only drink Poland Spring water, so got two cases of that (5 limit), but plenty of supply.

Costco dude said when the wipes are in, they'll be one box/customer but will still fly off the shelves. Luckily, plenty of Pirates Booty and Organic fudgesicles!

RUG $1.50; PUG $1.80. I'm at 3/4 tank, so didn't fill up. Will return next week, see if they have wipes and cheaper gas. Yup, that certainly cushions the 401k dive.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    The one thing I have done with my son is, after he does his schoolwork (not much, in Kindergarten) I make him spend time on the various educational websites. School gives us access to a bunch

Raz Kids
    Reading Eggs
    Splash Learn
    ABC Mouse

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    jmonroe said:

ab348 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the sense that the TLX is kind of like Mercury or Buick used to be - better-equipped and trimmed than a mainstream car, but not really a luxury car either, sort of an in-betweener. That is a tough segment to be in these days, especially with brands like Hyundai that load on the features in their standard models like so much icing.

From experience I'd say Hyundai's are pretty good but the buyer has to make that decision not a salesman. Like I said, "pretty good" untill you do your own oil changes.

jmonroe
    Glad you said it - and not me ;)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    We've done the same thing because quite honestly after e-learning and home school there isn't much more for them to do right now, especially during the week when we're both working. We're also trying to get outside more but have been keeping ourselves confined to our yard or the neighborhood. Tomorrow we're going to try and scope out the more secluded sections of the local county park just for a change of pace and to avoid the packed main trails and pathways.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

I agree, FF! If this covid-19 virus had been labeled "China Virus" by the W.H.O. or by the CDC, that would be different. But it has not and has rather been labeled covid-19, thus coronavirus or covid-19 is its appropriate and biochemical name. Thanks for correcting that poster.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    My special 6 month subscription to Sirius/XM is about to expire. So I called them (my first mistake) and after waiting 30 minutes for a customer service rep, I was able to renew it at the same price - $35.00 for 6 months which includes internet plus taxes and fees ($44.00 approximately). This was the easiest subscription renewal I have ever had with them. I hope this continues.

I turn my lease into Mercedes in a few months (July, August, or September depending on when they reopen the Mercedes factories in Germany and begin producing new vehicles), so I wanted to renew the subscription because I really enjoy satellite radio services without interruptions. The new car I ordered was scheduled to be produced in May, but that will be delayed. Who knows, they may not produce any more 2020's at this rate and my options will be limited.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited April 2020
    Been keeping up with all the posts(do skip some), but haven't done any in a while.

Just bought a new Adam's product, hand sanitizer! They are know for their car care products, but switched over not too long ago.
    It isn't cheap, but I support them by buying their normal products and can't find sanitizer anywhere.

March was kind of a bombshell month for me, but now it's April and after the 1st :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Small fact: "Spanish flu" was really an American flu (first registered case in Kansas). Seems like even then "blame others" mindset was just as strong.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    There were two different metallic browns on the prior E, but apparently none for the current generation. MB seems to be paring down its color choices with time. I think brown exists on some other models though.

I think the brown would also work with a lightish blue, especially the "diamond silver" blue that was also discontinued after MY 18 I think.
    tjc78 said:

C
    @fintail
    Love the interior of that wagon. It really works with the white exterior. Not sure what other color outside that would work with. Does Mercedes have a metallic brown like BMW?