Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    "Hey, you scratched my anchor!"

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676

Have been jonesing for a Bluetooth stereo set up in the bedroom. Nothing fancy. Just something to play from my phone while putting away clothes, taking a shower in the master bath, changing bed linens etc.

While looking at DWs and Best Buy, I started looking at those little Bose, Marshall, JBL, Logitech, etc Bluetooth speakers. To get something that sounded even moderately acceptable, it was going to cost $300-$400. And, I wasn’t really fond of the sound they produced.

Found I could put together something on my own.

Got one of these.....

https://fosiaudio.com/collections/2-1-channel-amplifier/products/bluetooth-5-0-class-d-wireless-amplifier-2-1-channel-u-disk-music-player-for-home-audio-system-powered-subwoofer-with-remote-control-50w-x2

And 2 of these.....

https://www.amazon.com/Jamo-Studio-803-BLK-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B07J288BRK/ref=asc_df_B07J288BRK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312115315632&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4407328882930506719&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1023691&hvtargid=pla-600244868618&psc=1

For around $175, I got a stereo rig that sounds infinitely better than any of those $500 Bluetooth speakers.

Speaking of Bluetooth, my son tried pairing his Android phone with the SYNCH system in his 2010 Ford yesterday. He was unsuccessful because the car said it couldn’t find the phone.

I’m totally clueless in this area since I don’t have a phone capable of doing...well, anything. Could it be a software problem since his is a new phone and this car is 11 years old? Could this old system not be compatible with modern devices?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    ab348 said:

Since we are talking cooking I would like some feedback from the peanut galley. What do you think about those meal kits sent directly to you where they send you all the fixings for your meals? My wife wants to try it.

As someone who enjoys cooking, they make little sense to me. It’s like a paint by numbers kit. They are also quite expensive for what you get, plus you supply the labor, and in the end you might not like the end product. Plus there is a pile of packaging to get rid of when you’re done. It strikes me as a creation for 20-somethings to make themselves believe than can actually cook instead of being somewhat clueless. You might be better off ordering in from a local restaurant.
    Wouldn't any recipe basically be a paint by numbers kit?

• Options

This will be fun...
    We had a defendant who absconded on some minor felonies. He recently was picked up in NY and they lodged him at Rikers Island. I decided not to extradite him because the charges didn’t justify the expense of bringing him to KY.
    Today an administrator from Rikers emailed us and told us that the guy is such a pain in the *ss that they are going to bring him to us on their nickel. If Rikers can’t deal with the knucklehead I can only imagine what hilarity will ensue when he’s lodged in our humble detention facility.

Didn’t you hear? We release all the criminals up here. It’s the law abiding citizens that we lock up. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited February 2021
    @oldfarmer50,
    As you surmised, the phone is probably too new for that version of SYNC.
    You can try this. Don't know if it will work for you.
    https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync-technology/sync-3/phone/phones-compatible-with-sync.html?year=2017&model=Escape
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    I still use this line a bit:

https://youtu.be/Z0YIJQ1jgEI

I think Caddyshack was one of the first DVDs I bought.
    carnaught said:

One of my favorite fun “classic” movies along with Animal House.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096

Wouldn't any recipe basically be a paint by numbers kit?

No. Paraphrasing Bill Parcells, “If they want you to cook dinner, you gotta buy the groceries” (and prepare them for cooking).

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    To me, this is the definitive Caddyshack scene:

https://youtu.be/171FURqSIQc

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566
    ab348 said:

To me, this is the definitive Caddyshack scene:

https://youtu.be/171FURqSIQc

Reminds me of the old story about a young quick thinking high school kid that worked in a grocery store produce dept.

One day a guy comes in and wants to buy half of a grapefruit. The kid gets all flustered and runs back to see his boss in the stock room. He didn’t notice that the guy followed him back there. Out of breath he blurts out to his boss, “there is this a-hole up front that wants to buy half a grape fruit. What should I tell him”? Just then he sees the guy and says to his boss, “and this gentleman wants to buy the other half”. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883
    I filled up with regular tonight. It is $2.999. :o

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options

@oldfarmer50,
    As you surmised, the phone is probably too new for that version of SYNC.
    You can try this. Don't know if it will work for you.
    https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync-technology/sync-3/phone/phones-compatible-with-sync.html?year=2017&model=Escape

I was afraid of that. Those instructions are the ones he used.

Would it be of any use to have the dealer help? Maybe install some sort of update to the system? As I’ve said, I don’t have a clue how this stuff works.

• Options
    venture said:

Gas took a bump here too. Up to about $2.70ish.

• Options
    venture said:

We are flirting with $2.90 for RUG here. It's been going up and down but the trend is up.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Since we are talking cooking I would like some feedback from the peanut galley. What do you think about those meal kits sent directly to you where they send you all the fixings for your meals? My wife wants to try it.

I know of people who’ve tried them. But, not sure why, none of them ever stuck with the service after the promotional period. I guess the food is OK. But, the ones I’ve spoken to said they can just order food from an APP like Instacart and cook the means that way, too. Probably save some money in the process.

I suppose having the ingredients and spices for the meals packaged together, with instructions, might have some benefit. But, you can also go on line, or YouTube and find a wealth of ways to cook proteins, veggies and deserts.....FOR FREE!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @oldfarmer50 ....Bluetooth is supposed to be backward compatible. But, who knows how Ford implements “Synch”.

Usually “non-discoverable” devices on Bluetooth can be solved by rebooting. On a vehicle, that means disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so.

IF that doesn’t work, an email to Ford support (if there is such a thing) might be in order.

Since the phone is new, try contacting the phone’s manufacturer.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

@oldfarmer50 ....Bluetooth is supposed to be backward compatible. But, who knows how Ford implements “Synch”.

Usually “non-discoverable” devices on Bluetooth can be solved by rebooting. On a vehicle, that means disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so.

IF that doesn’t work, an email to Ford support (if there is such a thing) might be in order.

I’ve never had anything BT fail to connect. Usually a few reboots solves things.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    I know little about bluetooth pairing. But I have read on GM cars, at least certain ones,
    that people used a clearing method which is that the key is in the ignition (don't recall if
    it needs to be ON, or just inserted so the car knows a qualified key is present) and
    the driver door left open for 5 minutes.

That clears something in the bluetooth setup and people could successfully pair
    their phone to that car, usually a Malibu 'cause this was on a Malibu forum.

Is there some system like that for Ford.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

I know little about bluetooth pairing. But I have read on GM cars, at least certain ones,
    that people used a clearing method which is that the key is in the ignition (don't recall if
    it needs to be ON, or just inserted so the car knows a qualified key is present) and
    the driver door left open for 5 minutes.

That clears something in the bluetooth setup and people could successfully pair
    their phone to that car, usually a Malibu 'cause this was on a Malibu forum.

Is there some system like that for Ford.

Doing that would be tough on a car with keyless start. And even if you have one that needs a key, putting up with the key-in-ignition buzzer for 5 minutes might make one go around the bend, or drain the battery.

• Options
    The SYNC system must have a factory reset function. It may also be able to be updated.

• Options
    I understand Ford's Sync is Microsoft-based, so likely a reboot would be necessary to make it work for a while.

One is reminded of the old chestnut that circulated around the early internet in the '90s about "what if Microsoft made a car". It is funny today to look at how many of the things named actually are true (or close to it):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.

For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

• Options
    ab348 said:

I understand Ford's Sync is Microsoft-based, so likely a reboot would be necessary to make it work for a while.

One is reminded of the old chestnut that circulated around the early internet in the '90s about "what if Microsoft made a car". It is funny today to look at how many of the things named actually are true (or close to it):

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

In the BMW you do have to press the "start" button to turn off the car.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566

ab348 said:

Wouldn’t it just make more sense to call it a Start/Stop button like I have on the Genny and Subie? :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

Wouldn’t it just make more sense to call it a Start/Stop button like I have on the Genny and Subie? :o

jmonroe
    I think it's labeled "Start/Stop" but it still is the same button with the same action that starts the car. And while we are on semantics here on computers it's a "Power" button not "Start".

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I’ve never had anything BT fail to connect. Usually a few reboots solves things.
    When you say reboot are you saying disconnect the car battery as GG suggested?

• Options
    I just noticed that my Legacy will show you the percent of grade you are ascending/descending. It seems pretty worthless except for when you want to say, "I just went up a 5% grade."

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    @venture How often will you make use of that feature? And, how will you make use of it......maybe find a new way to get to your destination that has a lower grade?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
  • Options
    driver100 said:

@venture How often will you make use of that feature? And, how will you make use of it......maybe find a new way to get to your destination that has a lower grade?

I said I just noticed it. I also said it is worthless. It doesn't seem to be of immense value.

I'm sure your car has that hidden somewhere.

• Options
    venture said:

driver100 said:

I said I just noticed it. I also said it is worthless. It doesn't seem to be of immense value.

I'm not criticizing....just wondering. Maybe it is part of Hill Start Assist....to let you know when to use that feature if you want to use it. Google Hill Side Assist.
    http://www.subsuv.com/subco-412.html

• Options

tjc78 said:

Somewhere in the Sync menu there is probably a factory reset. I bet the link @explorerx4 posted has the instructions for it

• Options
    tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

Somewhere in the Sync menu there is probably a factory reset. I bet the link @explorerx4 posted has the instructions for it
    You can try this.

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync/setup/how-to-do-a-sync-master-reset.html

• Options
    I think the second link I posted shows you how to pair/un pair your phone without resetting everything.
  • Options
    Thanks guys I passed that onto my son.

• Options
    driver100 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

I'm not criticizing....just wondering. Maybe it is part of Hill Start Assist....to let you know when to use that feature if you want to use it. Google Hill Side Assist.
    I didn't want to be mean, but my response looked like that. Sorry. I was in a hurry to meet our Treasurer to sign our tax papers.

It could be for the hill thingy. I was messing with the arrows and discovered a plethora of things that appear, at first glance, to be just as worthless. Maybe I'll mess with some more one of these days.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    venture said:

Costco PUG was $259.9 last week - today it’s $279.9.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

I didn't want to be mean, but my response looked like that. Sorry. I was in a hurry to meet our Treasurer to sign our tax papers.

It could be for the hill thingy. I was messing with the arrows and discovered a plethora of things that appear, at first glance, to be just as worthless. Maybe I'll mess with some more one of these days.
    I know the feeling. I am in a rush too, but take a look at this...it might have to do with hill climbing and knowing how steep a hill is whether you should attempt it or not.....or if you want to set a new record;
    https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/steepest-incline-decline.8978/

• Options
    Anyone want to try an awesome drink? Go for a Greyhound.

Here’s to Happy Hour @ home

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    @tjc78 Interesting note: If you take a statin for cholesterol, you are supposed to avoid grapefruit juice. 😥

That looks great.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    I can't have grapefruit juice because I'm on a calcium channel blocker...looks tasty though!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

@tjc78 Interesting note: If you take a statin for cholesterol, you are supposed to avoid grapefruit juice. 😥

That looks great.

I used to drink a glass of pink grapefruit juice every morning until I started taking a statin. Doctor told me not to drink grapefruit juice while taking the statin. Too bad, I miss the taste and the refreshing pick-me-up it provided me with.🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    kyfdx said:

That looks great.

kyfdx, you may have ruined his Greyhound for him :'(

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

That looks great.

He is a young guy. Guessing he is okay. 😉

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    venture said:

I said I just noticed it. I also said it is worthless..

It may be worthless to those of you who live in flat country, which I'd estimate at 95% of the participants on here, but if actual elevation change is part of your daily drive. . .

Much like yapping about high speed runs. Nevada, Alberta and New Mexico, among other places, have provided me the opportunity to cruise at well over 100 mph for extended periods.

You people need to go west to enjoy your vehicles.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

venture said:

I said I just noticed it. I also said it is worthless..

It may be worthless to those of you who live in flat country, which I'd estimate at 95% of the participants on here, but if actual elevation change is part of your daily drive. . .

Much like yapping about high speed runs. Nevada, Alberta and New Mexico, among other places, have provided me the opportunity to cruise at well over 100 mph for extended periods.

You people need to go west to enjoy your vehicles.

I guess there must be some value to it. I never saw it before. I guess I should display it when going up or down steep hills. I assume if you start up and see it is too steep you stop and back down?? I wonder what is too steep.

Early this week, before I discovered this thing, I started up a steep, snow covered, hill - just to see if I could make it. The car stopped about half way up, but then crawled the rest of the way up.

I think I'll go back to that hill and see how steep it really is.

There's not much flat here in the middle of Pennsylvania. The Appalachians sure isn't the Rockies, but there are some pretty nice hills here.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Off-Road inclinometer is a tool that let's you read the pitch and roll values of your vehicle when off roading.

Most are just digital, some have a picture. Sometimes off roaders find this information useful.
    It would be good to know the maximums you should stay within to avoid a problem :s

****There is also a Hill Warning Light......that is different;

• Options
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

That looks great.

He is a young guy. Guessing he is okay. 😉
    Yeah luckily I am!

Drinks were tasty, can’t believe I never had one before. Wife saw it on some cooking show.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

That looks great.

I avoid grapefruit juice because it tastes terrible.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    venture said:

There's not much flat here in the middle of Pennsylvania. The Appalachians sure isn't the Rockies, but there are some pretty nice hills here.

Fair point -- West Virginia has some pretty serious hills too.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

kyfdx said:

That looks great.

Red and pink grapefruit juice is sweet tasting. You should try it!😜🤪🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

kyfdx said:

That looks great.

The Vodka and Campari cure that ..lol