Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,873
    @henryn NOT chrome

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946

@roadburner said:
    So I went to Enterprise to pick up the Colorado. I looked at the bed and it was obvious the new Sony TV would not fit. Luckily a Ram 1500 Classic was available for only $15 more. If I was going to own a full sized pickup it would definitely be a Ram. It’s easy to drive and the telematics and HVAC work flawlessly. Decent power(5.7 Hemi) handling and ride. I’d pick a loaded Ram over a big anodyne FWD sedan if I had to decide, but I’d rather have a Gladiator than either.
    Anyway, we got the TV home and it was too heavy for my wife to help with, so a friend came over and helped unload the new TV and move the Kuro Elite to the basement HTS. I gave my friend the Panasonic 42” plasma the Kuro replaced.
    The new Sony is a knockout. Yes, an OLED is better, but not $1,800 better. I’m having some issues with the Panasonic DP-UB820 player, but I should be able to sort things out.
    A few screenshots; I still have to calibrate it but it looks very good out of the box:

Looks awesome!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,992
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

Look better, and have a real brand of tire (unless you are planning to swap yours over)

The tires are pretty much worn out on both sets of wheels. Wheels with good tires run several hundred more. The aluminum wheels (top picture) are 17 inch, and I can swap out my nearly new tires. The second picture (chrome) are 18 inch. I haven't seen any chrome wheels in 17 inch, only 18.

There are some surprisingly good deals on 20 inch Ford wheels. Brand new takeoffs, with less than 100 miles, are running $1,300 to $1,500, and one year old with 50% or more tread start around $800. I like the looks of the 20 inch wheels, but I don't think I want a sidewall that short.

I am leaning towards the 17 inch aluminum, but I have seen some 18 inch chrome wheels with decent tires at around $500. If I reuse my tires on the 17 inch aluminum wheels, I can also reuse the TPMS sensors. Except they are 8 years old, which is about the expected life span of the battery which is not replaceable. The price for 4 new TPMS sensors varies widely. Most tire shops want from $45 to $60 each ($180 to $240 for a set). Discount Tire is at $60 each. Rock Auto starts at $19 each, and goes up rapidly. Ebay and Amazon have chinese knockoffs starting at under $40 for a set of four. The reviews for the chinese knockoffs are all over the place.

Decisions, decisions.
    If it were me I would buy the 17", remount (road force balance to be safe) the good tires from the steelies, add new TPMS sensors. The looks will be enhanced, you're not out much money and the good ride is maintained.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

So I went to Enterprise to pick up the Colorado. I looked at the bed and it was obvious the new Sony TV would not fit. Luckily a Ram 1500 Classic was available for only $15 more. If I was going to own a full sized pickup it would definitely be a Ram. It’s easy to drive and the telematics and HVAC work flawlessly. Decent power(5.7 Hemi) handling and ride. I’d pick a loaded Ram over a big anodyne FWD sedan if I had to decide, but I’d rather have a Gladiator than either.

Anyway, we got the TV home and it was too heavy for my wife to help with, so a friend came over and helped unload the new TV and move the Kuro Elite to the basement HTS. I gave my friend the Panasonic 42” plasma the Kuro replaced.

The new Sony is a knockout. Yes, an OLED is better, but not $1,800 better. I’m having some issues with the Panasonic DP-UB820 player, but I should be able to sort things out.

A few screenshots; I still have to calibrate it but it looks very good out of the box:

Congrats on the new TV, looks very nice.

No surprise about the bed on the Colorado. And the new Maverick and Santa Cruz are only going to be worse. I was never happy with the 5.5' bed on the supercrews, so far I'm loving the 8' bed on this work truck. I think for my next new truck (when the present insanity is over), the supercab with a 6.5' bed will be the answer.

"Decent power (5.7 Hemi)" -- 395 horsepower, 410 lb-ft of torque is "decent power"? B)

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited June 2021

@roadburner said:

Congrats on your new TV purchase. What did you get? And be prepared to be frustrated by the calibration process. I paid the Geek Squad to do that since the Comcast Cable guys were so pitiful.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,700
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

henryn said:

Our church hosted a Car Cruise today so I decided to clean up the Club Sport. I started with Griot's Ceramic Wash & Coat using their foam sprayer, followed with Griot's Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax. I used BMW Wheel Cleaner Gel on the wheels and 303 Protectant under the hood. I think it turned our pretty well.

Beautiful result but sounds like you spent 50% of the car’s value on cleaning products.
    I have yet to try the ceramic coating / wax. I did buy a less expensive version from Turtle Wax, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. From what I've read, you need to strip off the old wax first. You can apply wax over the ceramic, but not the other way around.

Now the 303 protectant, I have been using that for years. Good stuff, and not terribly expensive. I've never used it under the hood, you don't need to protect anything under the hood from ultraviolet rays. Armor All costs about 1/3 as much, and shines up better (at least temporarily). On tires and soft tonneau covers, 303 all the way. Lasts longer, provides some ultraviolet protection, worth the extra cost even if it isn't the shiniest.

I know that ceramic is the current hot item but I’m not really sure what it is. Ziebart will put some sort of ceramic coating on cars for a few hundred but what it offers over wax I don’t know. The dealers sell it for something like $500.

I use a Meguirars product that is supposed to be ceramic or silicon that gives a good shine and only costs about $12 a can. You have to strip off all the old wax before applying it.

I’m still trying to work up the courage to do a clay bar treatment.

You could make the hooptie look like new ;)
    Oh boy, I can’t wait.

Take it to that YouTube kid in Vermont. He can weld on some tin cans for you, no problem!
    I already did my own hillbilly repair on that spot.

My cargo van hooptie continues to give good service. Last week I blew out a brake line. Very common up here in salt country. I also had a problem with a strange scraping noise underneath which I couldn’t identify. Off to the “guy”.

Brake line fixed and the noise turned out to be some sort of heat shield near the gas tank that was rubbing on the drive shaft (no wonder I couldn’t identify where it was coming from while stopped).

All fixed for about $200 which I thought was pretty cheap. There’s something to be said for old simple designs.
    Sounds like you have a pretty good independent mechanic shop (aka "the guy"). The local guy I was using for the last several years had a stroke last month, and is out of action for some time. There is another guy here in the neighborhood who works as a mobile mechanic, and he seems to be good, but really busy. He stopped by and helped me out with one of the rear brakes on the Pacifica that was giving me a hard time.

What is that on the rust repair, bondo?

Bondo and spray foam.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    henryn said:

I've been looking around on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace at wheels for my 2013 F150 XL. There are some very good deals out there, at around the $250 or $300 mark.

So what do you think? Aluminum or Chrome?

I’m a sucker for chrome but I think on a truck the aluminum would be a better fit.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    mjfloyd1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

Dad joke time.

What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a tricycle and a well dressed man on a bicycle?

What's the difference between in-laws and outlaws?

Outlaws are wanted

I heard a comedian the other day swearing something on his mother-in-laws life...

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    edited June 2021

mjfloyd1 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

That’s kind of like having your girlfriend’s name tattooed on your chest. Awkward if the relationship hits the rocks. I’m thinking Tom Arnold and Roseanne.

Never as ask a patient about a name tattooed on them. It usually doesn’t have a good story. Ask me how I know…

This seems like a story that needs sharing.

Wes and Joe were in the military and went out drinking. Wes has "Joe" tattoed on his forearm. Joe has "Wes" tattooed on his forearm..

Guy has "Gail" tattooed on his arm. I ask "are you Gail" to the lady with him. Awkward silence

Old couple (75+) gets along very well so I ask how long they have been married expecting 50 years. " well my first wife committed suicide after a tornado hit our house" we've been married for 7 years. Awkward silence. I should not engage...
  • Options
    henryn said:

I've been looking around on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace at wheels for my 2013 F150 XL. There are some very good deals out there, at around the $250 or $300 mark.

So what do you think? Aluminum or Chrome?

Aluminum. Chrome rusts
  • Options
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

Look better, and have a real brand of tire (unless you are planning to swap yours over)

The tires are pretty much worn out on both sets of wheels. Wheels with good tires run several hundred more. The aluminum wheels (top picture) are 17 inch, and I can swap out my nearly new tires. The second picture (chrome) are 18 inch. I haven't seen any chrome wheels in 17 inch, only 18.

There are some surprisingly good deals on 20 inch Ford wheels. Brand new takeoffs, with less than 100 miles, are running $1,300 to $1,500, and one year old with 50% or more tread start around $800. I like the looks of the 20 inch wheels, but I don't think I want a sidewall that short.

I am leaning towards the 17 inch aluminum, but I have seen some 18 inch chrome wheels with decent tires at around $500. If I reuse my tires on the 17 inch aluminum wheels, I can also reuse the TPMS sensors. Except they are 8 years old, which is about the expected life span of the battery which is not replaceable. The price for 4 new TPMS sensors varies widely. Most tire shops want from $45 to $60 each ($180 to $240 for a set). Discount Tire is at $60 each. Rock Auto starts at $19 each, and goes up rapidly. Ebay and Amazon have chinese knockoffs starting at under $40 for a set of four. The reviews for the chinese knockoffs are all over the place.

Decisions, decisions.
    Look at TPMS.com
  • Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

henryn said:

stickguy said:

Decisions, decisions.
    Look at TPMS.com
    One word. Expensive. Same part numbers, much more than Rock Auto or even Amazon.

• Options

henryn said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

henryn said:

Our church hosted a Car Cruise today so I decided to clean up the Club Sport. I started with Griot's Ceramic Wash & Coat using their foam sprayer, followed with Griot's Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax. I used BMW Wheel Cleaner Gel on the wheels and 303 Protectant under the hood. I think it turned our pretty well.

Beautiful result but sounds like you spent 50% of the car’s value on cleaning products.
    I have yet to try the ceramic coating / wax. I did buy a less expensive version from Turtle Wax, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. From what I've read, you need to strip off the old wax first. You can apply wax over the ceramic, but not the other way around.

Now the 303 protectant, I have been using that for years. Good stuff, and not terribly expensive. I've never used it under the hood, you don't need to protect anything under the hood from ultraviolet rays. Armor All costs about 1/3 as much, and shines up better (at least temporarily). On tires and soft tonneau covers, 303 all the way. Lasts longer, provides some ultraviolet protection, worth the extra cost even if it isn't the shiniest.

I know that ceramic is the current hot item but I’m not really sure what it is. Ziebart will put some sort of ceramic coating on cars for a few hundred but what it offers over wax I don’t know. The dealers sell it for something like $500.

I use a Meguirars product that is supposed to be ceramic or silicon that gives a good shine and only costs about $12 a can. You have to strip off all the old wax before applying it.

Oh boy, I can’t wait.

Take it to that YouTube kid in Vermont. He can weld on some tin cans for you, no problem!

My cargo van hooptie continues to give good service. Last week I blew out a brake line. Very common up here in salt country. I also had a problem with a strange scraping noise underneath which I couldn’t identify. Off to the “guy”.

Brake line fixed and the noise turned out to be some sort of heat shield near the gas tank that was rubbing on the drive shaft (no wonder I couldn’t identify where it was coming from while stopped).

All fixed for about $200 which I thought was pretty cheap. There’s something to be said for old simple designs.
    Sounds like you have a pretty good independent mechanic shop (aka "the guy"). The local guy I was using for the last several years had a stroke last month, and is out of action for some time. There is another guy here in the neighborhood who works as a mobile mechanic, and he seems to be good, but really busy. He stopped by and helped me out with one of the rear brakes on the Pacifica that was giving me a hard time.

Bondo and spray foam.

Fill in the cavities with spray foam, coat with Bondo. That wouldn't have occurred to me, but it sounds like a very good idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

@henryn said:
    One word. Expensive. Same part numbers, much more than Rock Auto or even Amazon.

They are OEM parts. Usually a prepackaged set of 4 isn’t bad.

I’d rather pay for OEM than have to dismount tires and replace but your money, your choice.

I’ve bought off brand that did not work in the past. Not worth the hassle

• Options
    sda said:

henryn said:

stickguy said:

Decisions, decisions.
    If it were me I would buy the 17", remount (road force balance to be safe) the good tires from the steelies, add new TPMS sensors. The looks will be enhanced, you're not out much money and the good ride is maintained.
    I am leaning in that direction. My thoughts were, a 17 inch aluminum wheel is going to weigh quite a bit less than an 18 inch chrome clad steel wheel. And as @mjfloyd1 pointed out, chrome can rust.

I will admit that the shiny chrome does appeal to me, but it doesn't quite add up that way.
  • Options
    henryn said:

mjfloyd1 said:

henryn said:

stickguy said:

Decisions, decisions.
    Look at TPMS.com

If you can get the same brand and model number as TPMS.com on rockauto.com, I'd go for that for sure
  • Options
    henryn said:

sda said:

henryn said:

stickguy said:

Decisions, decisions.
    I am leaning in that direction. My thoughts were, a 17 inch aluminum wheel is going to weigh quite a bit less than an 18 inch chrome clad steel wheel. And as @mjfloyd1 pointed out, chrome can rust.

I will admit that the shiny chrome does appeal to me, but it doesn't quite add up that way.
    I admit, I still like chrome. My 2001 Aurora 4.0 had great looking chrome wheels.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,378
    edited June 2021
    bwia said:

@roadburner said:

Congrats on your new TV purchase. What did you get? And be prepared to be frustrated by the calibration process. I paid the Geek Squad to do that since the Comcast Cable guys were so pitiful.

It's a 75" Sony 950H. My primary issue at present is with the Panasonic DP-UB820; it has a separate audio only HDMI output for receivers that cant pass 4K video, so I plug that into my older Denon receiver. The Video/Audio HDMI is connected directly to the TV. In that configuration the picture and sometimes sound frequently drops out when playing a disc.. When I connect the Video/Audio HDMI from the DP-UB820 directly to the receiver and connect the receiver's HDMI output to the TV it works flawlessly- but not in 4k. I've emailed Panasonic Support and posted on a good A/V forum so we will see. I know it's not the cables as they are top-drawer BJC cables- rated for 4K.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

Not sure who is a Sopranos fan but it’s finally coming!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-videos/sopranos-prequel-trailer-many-saints-of-newark-1234973262/amp/

Planning on having a showing at my house in the theater room with friends. We are all huge fans of the show.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,336

@tjc78 said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-videos/sopranos-prequel-trailer-many-saints-of-newark-1234973262/amp/

Planning on having a showing at my house in the theater room with friends. We are all huge fans of the show.

So they are making a movie about female singers? Oh I hope it's more about Cecilia Bartoli than anyone else, now there is a voice of an angel.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

@roadburner said:
    It's a 75" Sony 950H. My primary issue at present is with the Panasonic DP-UB820; it has a separate audio only HDMI output for receivers that cant pass 4K video, so I plug that into my older Denon receiver. The Video/Audio HDMI is connected directly to the TV. In that configuration the picture and sometimes sound frequently drops out when playing a disc.. When I connect the Video/Audio HDMI from the DP-UB820 directly to the receiver and connect the receiver's HDMI output to the TV it works flawlessly- but not in 4k. I've emailed Panasonic Support and posted on a good A/V forum so we will see. I know it's not the cables as they are top-drawer BJC cables- rated for 4K.

Ahh the blue jeans cables. Very nice

• Options
    edited June 2021

bwia said:

@roadburner said:

That's a lot of TV, and buying at this time of year you probably missed the big discounts. I thought you had purchased the 75" last Thanksgiving/Christmas season when you thinking of pulling the trigger. As to the Panasonic DP-UB820, you probably bought too much of a high end Blue Ray Player. Crutchfield suggests the Panasonic DP-UB420 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi, is more than adequate for 4K content.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    tjc78 said:

Sorry, I'll take a pass. But my favorite series Death in Paradise is back on our local PBS station at 8:00 pm. I believe fans in Canada have been watching Season 10 for a while now. One factoid, Josephine Jobert, one of costars is a sister* of Eva Green, a Bond girl, of Casino Royale fame.

*edit: cousin
  • Options
    henryn said:

henryn said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

henryn said:

Oh boy, I can’t wait.

Bondo and spray foam.

Fill in the cavities with spray foam, coat with Bondo. That wouldn't have occurred to me, but it sounds like a very good idea.
    There are numerous YouTube videos showing that technique. The proper way is to weld in new metal or just replace the door but I don’t weld and a junk yard door costs $400. I’ll be happy if I get a few years out of it. After all it’s an $1800 farm truck turned junk hauler.

• Options

@bwia said:
    That's a lot of TV, and buying at this time of year you probably missed the big discounts. I thought you had purchased the 75" last Thanksgiving/Christmas season when you thinking of pulling the trigger. As to the Panasonic DP-UB820, you probably bought too much of a high end Blue Ray Player. Crutchfield suggests the Panasonic DP-UB420 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi, is more than adequate for 4K content.

Actually, I bought it for less than what it was advertised on Black Friday- $600 off. I bought the DP-UB820 because it’s a bit better equipped(Dolby Vision, for one thing). If I can’t sort out the issues, I’ll return it and go with a Sony UBP-X800M2.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    edited June 2021

@bwia said:
    Sorry, I'll take a pass. But my favorite series Death in Paradise is back on our local PBS station at 8:00 pm. I believe fans in Canada have been watching Season 10 for a while now. One factoid, Josephine Jobert, one of costars is a sister of Eva Green, a Bond girl, of Casino Royale fame.

We like Death in Paradise _ and _The Mallorca Files. Right now I’m preparing to binge watch the final two seasons of Bosch.

• Options
    I enjoyed Bosch. I might watch it again. I rarely watch traditional tv channels anymore.

• Options
    sda said:

I enjoyed Bosch. I might watch it again. I rarely watch traditional tv channels anymore.

New season (last one) comes out sometime in July

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    Bosch is well done, very entertaining.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

We watch the original NCIS on CBS and that’s it. I watch the Star Trek spin-offs on Paramount and the Star Wars spinoffs on Disney+

• Options
    edited June 2021

@roadburner said:

@bwia said:

Actually, I bought it for less than what it was advertised on Black Friday- $600 off. I bought the DP-UB820 because it’s a bit better equipped(Dolby Vision, for one thing). If I can’t sort out the issues, I’ll return it and go with a Sony UBP-X800M2.

Can you go HDMI direct to TV and then grab an HDMI ARC output or Optical to the receiver? I’d rather not run the audio through the TV at all, but may be a workaround.

I’m so frustrated that the pre-installed fiber optic cables in my media room (Cerelity) won’t pass 4K. Big bummer… I’m going to have to pull new cables at some point. Praying they aren’t stapled and I can pull new with the old through the ceiling.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

@bwia said:

Can you go HDMI direct to TV and then grab an HDMI ARC output or Optical to the receiver? I’d rather not run the audio through the TV at all, but may be a workaround.

I’m so frustrated that the pre-installed fiber optic cables in my media room (Cerelity) won’t pass 4K. Big bummer… I’m going to have to pull new cables at some point. Praying they aren’t stapled and I can pull new with the old through the ceiling.

---------------=============--------- end quoted material-----------==================

For the kind of money he's already invested, I think I might just get a new receiver capable of 4k video pass through. I like to switch inputs on the receiver rather than the TV, it simplifies life. But if you run optical out from the TV to the receiver for the sound, then you're back to just one unit (the TV) for switching sources. My TV only has 3 HDMI inputs, so I'm using the receiver for switching (5 HDMI inputs).

I'm not doing 4k just yet. Not enough content to make it worth my while at present. YMMV

And on the Sopranos, I always felt guilty about watching that show. Interesting to be sure, but if you watched for a while you would start to feel sympathy for one or more of the characters. And then those characters would do something so bad that they deserved the lower depths of hell.

I think I'll pass on the prequel.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/study-reveals-city-worst-traffic-223420982.html

Congratulations to New York and Newark! You have dethroned LA once again, and are #1 in something new!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    driver100 said:

Not so great if you are the one in two who split up:

Looks like it would save money as compared to precious metals and rocks though.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,981
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

Not so great if you are the one in two who split up:

Looks like it would save money as compared to precious metals and rocks though.
    I think it costs a lot to have them removed though.....a few sessions.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,590
    @henryn said:
    “Fill in the cavities with spray foam, coat with Bondo. That wouldn't have occurred to me, but it sounds like a very good idea”.

@oldfarmer50 never thought of it either until he saw it done on at least half of his hooptie purchases. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    I've never really worn a ring, any ring. They bother me. I purchased a class ring, tried to wear it, couldn't. Many years later, it was stolen and sold for the gold content. Which didn't bother me that much.

A friend of mine had a ring for making All American at LSU a very long time ago. He was like me, and didn't wear rings, but he was very proud of that ring. His stepson hocked it to get drug money, and that really bothered him, although he didn't let on.
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,590
    sda said:

Bosch…I knew we’d get back to dishwashers sooner or later. :(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

Bosch…I knew we’d get back to dishwashers sooner or later. :(

jmonroe
    Refrigerators, too... at my house

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

@henryn said:
    ---------------=============--------- end quoted material-----------==================

For the kind of money he's already invested, I think I might just get a new receiver capable of 4k video pass through. I like to switch inputs on the receiver rather than the TV, it simplifies life. But if you run optical out from the TV to the receiver for the sound, then you're back to just one unit (the TV) for switching sources. My TV only has 3 HDMI inputs, so I'm using the receiver for switching (5 HDMI inputs).

I'm not doing 4k just yet. Not enough content to make it worth my while at present. YMMV

And on the Sopranos, I always felt guilty about watching that show. Interesting to be sure, but if you watched for a while you would start to feel sympathy for one or more of the characters. And then those characters would do something so bad that they deserved the lower depths of hell.

I already have an optical cable connected to the TV, but I believe it will only pass 5.1 and I have a 7.1 speaker configuration. I want to upgrade my receiver eventually but I was hoping to postpone it for a bit as my current receiver can handle 7.1 content.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    Did Suydam change user name? I haven't noticed any posts for several months by Suydam.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

@roadburner said:

@henryn said:

I already have an optical cable connected to the TV, but I believe it will only pass 5.1 and I have a 7.1 speaker configuration. I want to upgrade my receiver eventually but I was hoping to postpone it for a bit as my current receiver can handle 7.1 content.

Shoot.. forgot you were running 7.1. Correct it will not pass that.

• Options
    andres3 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/study-reveals-city-worst-traffic-223420982.html

Congratulations to New York and Newark! You have dethroned LA once again, and are #1 in something new!

My friend who is trying to sell his rental house in Brooklyn had to drive down there last week. It took him 5 hours on a regular weekday when it usually takes 3. He says that once he sells it he may never return even though he grew up there.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,593
    I have zero desire to ever go back onto long island again in my life. Thankfully no family left there to visit!

And NYC, other than a trip to a Mets game, happy to skip that too. If we want to go into Manhattan, will take the train up instead.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

@henryn said:
    “Fill in the cavities with spray foam, coat with Bondo. That wouldn't have occurred to me, but it sounds like a very good idea”.

@oldfarmer50 never thought of it either until he saw it done on at least half of his hooptie purchases. :s

jmonroe

You know, I just realized that the cargo van is the only vehicle I own which has significant rust. That’s something I couldn’t say for decades.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

@henryn said:

I'm pretty sure of another tidbit about optical and coax digitial connections, they are limited to DVD-video audio quality, as in CD-Audio quality at best. They can't handle the higher bit rates of Blu-Ray Audio, DVD-Audio, SACD last I checked.

Can anyone confirm this means you downgrade your Blu-Rays or 4K discs to old school "Dolby Pro Logic" and DTS downmixed to fake DTS?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I have been watching Youtube videos on replacing TPMS sensors. The sensors themselves are easy, it’s breaking the bead on the tire that is the fun part. Some of the people posting the videos are using a tool called a BeadBreaker, which costs about $120 and looks pretty good. Using that tool, you can replace the TPMS sensor without even removing the wheel from the vehicle. Others are more DIY with minimal tools, and they have come up with some ingenious ways to break the bead. A couple of them used a scissors jack pressing from underneath the car down on the bead. Others used a long 2x4, and one guy used a 2x4 and used his floor jack to let the weight of the car come down on the bead.

Like I said, ingenious, but I think I will just pay the tire shop. I suspect it will cost a lot less than losing one or more fingers. On the other hand, if my only other choice was the dealer, I might very well go for it myself. It’s always interesting to read the comments on these videos, and there are a number of comments about the prices dealerships charge for this service. Anywhere from $200 to $800. And we're talking just replacing the failing sensors, not new tires.

There is a used tire shop down the street from me, and I'm sure they would do this. I had them replace one of the front tires on my ZTR mower with a new tire I already had. They charged me $15, and it was more trouble than a regular tire because it was too small for their machine. After watching them struggle, I was very glad I took it to them, and I made sure to throw in a tip.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,968
    andres3 said:

Can anyone confirm this means you downgrade your Blu-Rays or 4K discs to old school "Dolby Pro Logic" and DTS downmixed to fake DTS?

That depends: Can I help confirm this using my 2 speakers and tape deck?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited June 2021
    andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

@henryn said:

I'm pretty sure of another tidbit about optical and coax digitial connections, they are limited to DVD-video audio quality, as in CD-Audio quality at best. They can't handle the higher bit rates of Blu-Ray Audio, DVD-Audio, SACD last I checked.

-----------------------end quoted material-----------------

https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/optical-digital-audio.html